Federer on RG Semi: "I thought I was going to lose the match" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer on RG Semi: "I thought I was going to lose the match"

hasanahmad
06-09-2006, 01:53 PM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13221348/

“I really thought I was going to lose that match,” Federer said. “I was fortunate, for I was not doing too well.”

“David played a great first set and a half,” Federer said. “But then I started to hit some fabulous shots, and it gave me confidence.”

Allez
06-09-2006, 01:56 PM
I thought he was going to lose too. Horrible 1st set and a half. He was shanktastic :D

Argenbrit
06-09-2006, 01:57 PM
I agree with Roger. I was sure he was going to lose. I'm really sad for David.

supersexynadal
06-09-2006, 02:01 PM
He wasnt gonna lose if david played like that for the rest of the match but who knows? Maybe if he wasnt injured he would have one more sets. Leo still watching!!!

R.Federer
For a set and a half, really David played so well
But when Roger came back from 0-3 down in the second and won the second set (even before david's injury), I believed he had shaken off his nerves and was going to win it in 4

Scotso
Hopefully he has the same mentality against Nadal in the final (er uhm or Ljubicic).

Conita
06-09-2006, 02:23 PM
david :sad: :sad: :sad:

Dirk
06-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Ninja will be ready for war come final time. He knows what happens when you don't come out ready to go in the big matches.

ChloeLove
06-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Yeah, what was with that first set and a half . . . honestly, that is very strange behaviour from Roger.

yanchr
06-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I was feeling the same...David played almost perfect tennis in the 1st set and first few games of the 2nd...Roger was...not playing badly but just outplayed

I'm actually a bit sad for David. Hope he is fine.

landoud
06-09-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm really happy he reached the final....
yes it was a rough start .. but he manageg himself and got back in form

blosson
06-09-2006, 04:07 PM
You got to love how Roger refer to his shots "fabulous" :lol:

Geniey2g
06-09-2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah, what was with that first set and a half . . . honestly, that is very strange behaviour from Roger.
Agreed. He was *extremely* lucky today.

rofe
06-09-2006, 04:14 PM

Luck had nothing to do with it. He upped his game under pressure. :rolleyes:

mangoes
06-09-2006, 04:16 PM

I disagree...........Roger started to play on a different level after being broken in the second set.........He didn't get "extremely lucky".........

nobama
06-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Agreed. He was *extremely* lucky today. :rolleyes: When is Roger not "lucky" with some people.

Geniey2g
06-09-2006, 04:26 PM
I disagree...........Roger started to play on a different level after being broken in the second set.........He didn't get "extremely lucky".........
Lucky that Nalby had to retire, I mean. You can't tell me that someone forefeiting the match isn't preferable when you haven't been playing your best. Nalby retiring erased the chance of him upping his game again, even though Roger clearly upped his.

rofe
06-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Lucky that Nalby had to retire, I mean. You can't tell me that someone forefeiting the match isn't preferable when you haven't been playing your best. Nalby retiring erased the chance of him upping his game again, even though Roger clearly upped his.

At this stage of the game, a player should not retire due to poor fitness. Roger was in a winning position with two breaks in the 3rd set. He upped his level to accomplish that so saying that he was lucky to win it completely undermines what he did to dig out of the hole.

Geniey2g
06-09-2006, 04:47 PM
At this stage of the game, a player should not retire due to poor fitness. Roger was in a winning position with two breaks in the 3rd set. He upped his level to accomplish that so saying that he was lucky to win it completely undermines what he did to dig out of the hole.
No way. I'm not undermining Roger's afforts- just saying that he left it kinda late. Roger's lateness + Nalby's "fitness" = luck.

iloveupeterpan
06-09-2006, 04:52 PM
anyway
luck does help rogi a bit in this semi
poor david............ :sad:
but it's also good for rogi to win this grand slam

fooclate
06-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Rogers attitude towards the game in the first set and a half was purely shocking and "strange" as someone said, but the way he raised his game by a couple of Billion notches later was just the ROGER FEDERER that we all know! :worship: and about time that too! But if he does play the way he did in the beginning of the semis in the final against Rafa, he's in for trouble. Rafa will capitalize on that and eat him for breakfast. :eek:

Allez
06-09-2006, 05:00 PM
When he went down 0-3 in the 2nd I thought he'd given up. He looked disinterested and was just shanking everything. It was heartbreaking to see. AND THEN the real Rogi finally made an appearence. That was so cool. So cool.:yeah:

magnoliaewan
06-09-2006, 05:12 PM

They were "fabulous". That one around-the-back shot was :eek: , the commentors reran that shot about 4 times; even 2 games later they had to revisit that shot.

mallorn
06-09-2006, 05:14 PM
:yeah:

Roger would have most probably won, but he was lucky he only had to spend an hour and forty minutes on court instead of playing the toughest match of the tournament that most people expected.

mallorn
06-09-2006, 05:16 PM
The first set and a half were very strange indeed, as if he hadn't woken up. Then he suddenly did and at the same time David's level went down.

I doubt he'll make the same mistake in the final. I expect him to be as alert as in Rome right from the start.

MariaV
06-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Yeah. The Jesus Fed The God speaking. :lol:

rofe
06-09-2006, 05:24 PM
:yeah:

Roger would have most probably won, but he was lucky he only had to spend an hour and forty minutes on court instead of playing the toughest match of the tournament that most people expected.

Yup just like Nadal got lucky that Novak retired. :yeah:

Now both are even.

tangerine_dream
06-09-2006, 05:29 PM
He uses the word "fantastic" a lot, too. :lol:

Can you imagine any other player saying such things? Andy Roddick: "I hit a fantastic kick serve in the end to clinch that match, I can't believe the sick shots that I've been making lately, it's really fantastic...pity he lost."

Pea
06-09-2006, 05:42 PM
He uses the word "fantastic" a lot, too. :lol:

Can you imagine any other player saying such things? Andy Roddick: "I hit a fantastic kick serve in the end to clinch that match, I can't believe the sick shots that I've been making lately, it's really fantastic...pity he lost."

It only works with Europeans. :rolleyes: It would other wise just sound ignorant.

mallorn
06-09-2006, 05:43 PM

Now both are even.
I never said he didn't, and there's nothing wrong with being lucky. :shrug:

Does everything that involves Rafa and Roger have to turn into competition? :confused: If you insist on making comparisons, no offence to Novak, but he wasn't as dangerous to Rafa as a healthy David was to Roger.

scoobs
06-09-2006, 05:43 PM
I didn't think he'd lose, though I did have one eyebrow raised at 3-6 0-3.

Don't do that again, please :)

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 05:46 PM

Now both are even.

Even a retard like you should be able to understand the difference between getting hurt when leading 6-3 3-1 and getting hurt trailing 6-4 3-0 :hug:

rofe
06-09-2006, 05:46 PM
I never said he didn't, and there's nothing wrong with being lucky. :shrug:

Does everything that involves Rafa and Roger have to turn into competition? :confused: If you insist on making comparisons, no offence to Novak, but he wasn't as dangerous to Rafa as a healthy David was to Roger.

No I was pointing out that neither were lucky. They were both in winning positions when it happened. Your argument that David was more dangerous to Fed as opposed to Novak to Rafa is a cop-out. Since both got injured, we will never know. :wavey:

fooclate
06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Yes please! Its killling us slowly inside when u had that look of defeat already written on your face by the beginning of the second set! Incase rogi u have forgotten your ROGER FEDERER! You should have an *invincible but non -arrogant* look :D Dont think your going to lose until you've lost!

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 05:48 PM
They were both in winning positions when it happened.

Agree, Nalbandian was about to throw the towel when leading 6-3 3-1 :lol:

rofe
06-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Even a retard like you would understand the difference between getting hurt when leading 6-3 3-1 and getting hurt trailing 6-4 3-0 :hug:

Even a clown and an ass licker like you would understand that Nalby only got injured in the 3rd set. Go back with your head shoved up Rafa's arse. I think you will be more comfortable there. :wavey:

Argenbrit
06-09-2006, 05:49 PM
you should be able to understand the difference between getting hurt when leading 6-3 3-1 and getting hurt trailing 6-4 3-0

And not a lot of people lead Federer 6-3 3-1. :sad:

rofe
06-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Agree, Nalbandian was about to throw the towel when leading 6-3 3-1 :lol:

And how do you know that? Did you dream it up while you were jerking off on Nadal?

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Even a clown and an ass licker like you would understand that Nalby only got injured in the 3rd set. Go back with your head shoved up Rafa's arse. I think you will be more comfortable there. :wavey:

Q. Did it occur, the injury occur today, after you were up 3‑0 in the second set?

DAVID NALBANDIAN: Yeah, in the middle of the game, when I was serving at 3‑1, yeah.

(from the official site)

Another Fedtard clown who can´t read :haha:

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 05:51 PM
And how do you know that? Did you dream it up while you were jerking off on Nadal?

Please stop embarrasing yourself and learn to read, it would do fine for you, burro :hug:

nobama
06-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Who cares when he supposedly got "injured". And I only put that in quotes because for a set and a half he was playing brilliant tennis. So for Carlos Costa to say he wasn't feeling well coming into the match he sure didn't show it. But regardless it was up to Roger to find another gear, up his level of play and he did so.

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Who cares when he supposedly got "injured".

It won´t change anything but it´s pretty clear we can always say Roger got lucky to reach his first FO final cause his SF rival got injured when leading up a set and a break :D

DrJules
06-09-2006, 06:07 PM
It won´t change anything but it´s pretty clear we can always say Roger got lucky to reach his first FO final cause his SF rival got injured when leading up a set and a break :D

The problem David would have had if he remained fit would be crossing the winning line. In the year end masters he lead 4-0 in the 5th set and only struggled over the winning line 7-6.

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 06:10 PM
The problem David would have had if he remained fit would be crossing the winning line. In the year end masters he lead 4-0 in the 5th set and only struggled over the winning line 7-6.

It´s not like I think that couldn´t have been a very possible scenario, but it´s also undenyable the fact that Roger got lucky with that injury as he was a clear underdog at winning the match at that point

rofe
06-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Please stop embarrasing yourself and learn to read, it would do fine for you, burro :hug:

If you had cited the source before I posted this, I may have limited myself to insulting you just once.

Since you used the interview to prove your point, I will leave you with this:

No, I didn't go into the match with a back problem, and I didn't go to the match hundred percent fit. So that's what I think.

In the beginning of today, I feel hundred percent, I feel perfect

Now think about that when you get time off from jerking off... :wavey:

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 06:13 PM
If you had cited the source before I posted this, I may have limited myself to insulting you just once.

Since you used the interview to prove your point, I will leave you with this:

Now think about that when you get time off from jerking off... :wavey:

OWNED

:lol:

mallorn
06-09-2006, 06:15 PM
No I was pointing out that neither were lucky. They were both in winning positions when it happened. Your argument that David was more dangerous to Fed as opposed to Novak to Rafa is a cop-out. Since both got injured, we will never know. :wavey:
I disagree, I think both were lucky - to get off the court much sooner than they expected, not to win their respective matches. :)

Upsets happen, but on paper Novak wasn't as dangerous to Rafa as David was to Roger. I would like to hear your argument that no 63 is more dangerous to no 2 than no 3 is to no 1 (especially with that H2H). :p

Also on court, as Deivid explained, Rafa was leading 6-4, 3-0 while Roger was 3-6, 1-3 down.

:wavey:

rofe
06-09-2006, 06:15 PM
OWNED

:lol:

Good of you to admit that you got owned. Now go back to some more ass licking... ;)

soraya
06-09-2006, 06:17 PM
When he went down 0-3 in the 2nd I thought he'd given up. He looked disinterested and was just shanking everything. It was heartbreaking to see. AND THEN the real Rogi finally made an appearence. That was so cool. So cool.:yeah:

that is when I could not sit and watch the match anxiously without knowing. I decided to peek in the forum and could not believe it. Ahhh! Now I can watch the rest of the match ...more relexaded. Good luck Rog for Tomorrow and great effort by Davide:sad: :sad:

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Good of you to admit that you got owned. Now go back to some more ass licking... ;)

Definetely, your brain cells are on strike :D

Fed=ATPTourkilla
06-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Plz, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Nalbandian at 3-1 - did you see the match at all? His level didn't go down, Federer's went up.

Will be funny to hear what excuses you all make when Federer crushes Nadal.

Geniey2g
06-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Will be funny to hear what excuses you all make when Federer crushes Nadal.
Whatever :)

R.Federer
06-09-2006, 06:32 PM
There is no denying Roger got a stroke of luck today --even if he had won the match without David retiring, he got less exposure in the sun and more time physically to recuperate. But its a 5-setter, so this idea that he was definitely going to lose the match even if david didn't retire, is a crazy one. We just don't know what would have happened.

R.Federer
06-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Luck is a huge part of winning a slam! Sampras was down a set and 1-4 to Scud when he went on to win, and Lord knows the rain saved andre in the andre v/s andrei RG final, and so on. Ivan got a huge stroke of luck when the draw opened up to get to his first GS SF.

If Roger can win the 2006 French Open only with a stroke of good luck at the right time, that's fine. I'm all for it, ALLEZ ALLEZ ROGER FEDERER!

Rgask
06-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Noww i feel gasquet didnt plzy that baad....

DDrago2
06-09-2006, 06:54 PM

He was dissapointed with the atmosphere. There was no crowd. It was an anti-climax for him, and for David buy part