Classic Australian Open matches Sunday on ESPN Classic [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Classic Australian Open matches Sunday on ESPN Classic

MisterQ
01-16-2004, 10:27 PM
On ESPN CLASSIC:

Jan. 18 (all times are Eastern Time)

8-10 am
2000 Australian Open, Semifinals
Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras :yippee:

---------------------
10am-12pm
1988 Australian Open, Semifinals
Chris Evert vs. Martina Navratilova :yeah:

-----------------
12-2pm
1988 Australian Open, Finals
Steffi Graf vs. Chris Evert

------------------
2-4pm
1995 Australian Open, Quarterfinals
Pete Sampras vs. Jim Courier :dance:

-------------------
4-6pm
2002 Australian Open, Finals
Jennifer Capriati vs. Martina Hingis (poor Hingis :sad: )

----------------------
6-8pm
1995 Australian Open, Finals
Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras :rocker2:

-----------------------
AND (don't know why, but it's a nice bonus!)
Jan. 19 (early Monday morning) 1-3am
2001 Wimbledon Final
Goran Ivanisevic vs. Patrick Rafter :cool:

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 10:29 PM
it's a damn good thing I don't get ESPN Classic here.... Sunday HAS to be my catchup day lol

MisterQ
01-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Also, on Saturday Jan. 17 at noon (12-12:30) they will show the absurdly titled "Aces: Agassi, Roddick and the Tennis Master Club" on ESPN2.

1. Why is Federer not in the title?
2. What's with the title? Is this a doctoral thesis?

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 10:32 PM
it's called the "name it the best possible way to actually get American viewers" technique. :o

Lee
01-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Grrr! I can't use my computer to record ESPN Classic and my VCR's quality is not good.

MisterQ
01-16-2004, 10:33 PM
it's called false advertising (imo)

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 10:35 PM
I don't think so.... we get a half-hour edited version and I'm sure we'll get the Andre/Andy half hour. They'll have to show Fed since he won the damn thing, but I bet we won't get the beautiful part of Moya getting a massage :mad:

tangerine_dream
01-16-2004, 10:36 PM
:woohoo: Must See TV Sunday!! :woohoo:

Lee
01-16-2004, 10:38 PM
I don't think so.... we get a half-hour edited version and I'm sure we'll get the Andre/Andy half hour. They'll have to show Fed since he won the damn thing, but I bet we won't get the beautiful part of Moya getting a massage :mad:

And 2 seconds of appearance for Schuettler, Nalbandian and Coria. Ferrero and Moya may about a few more. :p

Shy
01-16-2004, 10:38 PM
. They'll have to show Fed since he won the damn thing, but I bet we won't get the beautiful part of Moya getting a massage :mad:
I bet you'll get it. Half naked guy do increase rating.:hearts:

J. Corwin
01-16-2004, 11:08 PM
it's a damn good thing I don't get ESPN Classic here.... Sunday HAS to be my catchup day lol

AO will be on next Sunday. :p

J. Corwin
01-16-2004, 11:08 PM
I don't have ESPN Classic...so blah.

I have some of those matches on tape or DVD already though.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 11:09 PM
yes Jace do not remind me.... but at least not on ALL DAY and the live stuff will be only at night.

J. Corwin
01-16-2004, 11:54 PM
yes Jace do not remind me.... but at least not on ALL DAY and the live stuff will be only at night.

All tennis all the time can't be that bad. ;)

Deboogle!.
01-17-2004, 12:32 AM
it can when you have stuff to do LOL

star
01-17-2004, 12:36 AM
ESPN Classic annoys me because they just show the predictable stuff.

How about Rafter winning the USO?

Or that great Edberg vs. Chang match at the USO

Or that great Edberg vs. Courier match at the USO

Or Ashe vs. Connors at Wimbledon

Or Goolagong vs. Evert at Wimbledon

Deboogle!.
01-17-2004, 12:37 AM
again.... they show the stuff they think the most people will want to watch. I was actually really surprised they're not showing Andy/El-Aynaoui from last year since so many of us actually missed it when it aired

Fedex
01-17-2004, 12:40 AM
Thanks MisterQ. Some of these might be worthwhile recording, I love watching some of those classic matches, but they dont have em on often on ESPN Classic. Pete vs. Andre(both), & Rafter vs. Ivanisavic(spelling?) are 2 of my favorite matches!!

MisterQ
01-17-2004, 04:22 PM
ESPN Classic annoys me because they just show the predictable stuff.

How about Rafter winning the USO?

Or that great Edberg vs. Chang match at the USO

Or that great Edberg vs. Courier match at the USO

Or Ashe vs. Connors at Wimbledon

Or Goolagong vs. Evert at Wimbledon

They did show Ashe/Connors in 2003 before Wimby. But I haven't seen the others on that channel, and would like to!

MisterQ
01-17-2004, 04:27 PM
again.... they show the stuff they think the most people will want to watch. I was actually really surprised they're not showing Andy/El-Aynaoui from last year since so many of us actually missed it when it aired

suppose we could keep repeating ourselves here, lol. but I'm not so quick to jump to ESPN's defense --- after all, most of the matches star mentioned feature American players.

But I guess we can't really know what the "American people" really want... They have to guess, and so do we.

MisterQ
01-17-2004, 04:29 PM
Just want to bump this up because the Masters Cup documentary (agassi/roddick half-hour) will be on in half an hour (12pm ESPN2).

star
01-17-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the reminder, Q. I had forgotten. :kiss:

star
01-17-2004, 05:32 PM
I watched. It was good.

I liked the guitar.

It could have showed more than 3 minutes of Coria, but that's what I expect.

It was strange to see Lundgren with Federer. Lundgren was so happy and smiling... and I was thinking... Oh yeah, buddy. I know what comes next... and it was funny to watch Federer knowing that he also knew what he was going to do.

The champange thing with Fish and Andy was nice to see again. :)

MisterQ
01-17-2004, 05:36 PM
I enjoyed it, but that's probably because I'm familiar with all the players and enjoyed seeing them all. Don't think there was anything all that gripping about how it was put together, though...

Most interesting to me was seeing Coria and Agassi pretty much in tears after their losses. :sad: One would think Andre in particular would be used to it by now, but I guess it never gets easy to take a loss.

star
01-17-2004, 05:44 PM
It was a pretty laid back presentation.

It would have been nice to see the longer version. Schuettler was cute and very sort of lighthearted. Bunk would have liked the Moya Massage. :)

What I thought was interesting about Coria in the locker room after his loss to Andy was not only how disappointed he seemed, but then, Andy and Brad came in and were only about 10 feet away from Gui. The winners and the losers are quite intimate in tennis unlike team sports where there are different locker rooms.

star
01-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Oh yeah. It showed how hands on Mac is.

And he was as nervous as a kid right before the event started. :)

star
01-17-2004, 05:46 PM
And did you like it when Agassi is holding one of the cowboy hats and said... What if all 8 players refused to wear them?

MisterQ
01-17-2004, 05:49 PM
And did you like it when Agassi is holding one of the cowboy hats and said... What if all 8 players refused to wear them?

Yeah, that was funny!

Also like the way Rainer said "There are Germans here!" :lol:

star
01-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Yeah! That little boy giggle. It was cute.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Agassi was funny w/the hats.

it was good. I wish we got the full hour version though, I'd like to know what was cut. And I believe the voiceover was different for us too.

We'll have videos up at RO pretty soon *converting them now*

and as for the classic matches, I was under the impression that ESPN doesn't have rights to all of them. And now they're probably fighting with TTC b/c they show classic matches too. So that might explain why some are never shown, not sure.

tangerine_dream
01-17-2004, 07:59 PM
Saw the Houston docu! I liked it a lot! :banana:

I just wish I could've seen the 1-hour version the Europeans saw (NO Moya massage shown here! :mad: ). Maybe I'll buy the DVD.

I liked the music and the voice-over. It wasn't nearly as cheesy and rah-rah-USA as I thought it might be.

I love seeing what goes on behind the scenes: seeing what the locker room looks like, what players do in there (Fed was player solitare on the computer! Hee!), who hangs out with who, etc. Fascinating stuff.

I am liking Rainer Schuettler more and more. "There are Germans here!" he says excitedly. Then he giggles. Cute. ;)

ktwtennis
01-18-2004, 01:17 AM
ESPN Classic has never had a good availability of matches...

Deboogle!.
01-18-2004, 01:34 AM
I am liking Rainer Schuettler more and more. "There are Germans here!" he says excitedly. Then he giggles. Cute. ;)

That was cute, very sincere and you could tell it really meant a lot to him to have them there. He seems like a really sweet guy. But I still don't like watching him play.