Nadal didn't greet Federer today [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal didn't greet Federer today

shotgun
06-09-2006, 12:36 AM
This comes from the blog of Chiquinho Leite Moreira, an internationally respected journalist who is one of the founding members of ITWA (International Tennis Writers Association).

http://www2.uol.com.br/tenisbrasil/chiquinho/

"Rafael Nadal declared war on Roger Federer and doesn't even want to talk with the Swiss. The scene that revealed all the sensibility of this state happened in Court 4, where both tennis players practiced this Thursday.

Federer hit with an Australian junior - who was turning 17 years old by the way. When leaving the court after the practice, he crossed paths with Nadal. He tried a greeting, a handwave, a 'hi', but didn't get an answer. The Spaniard turned his head, pretended he was going to tie his shoes and looked away as if somebody was calling him.

(...)"

scoobs
06-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Things just aren't the same on Walton's Mountain anymore...

s.m.
06-09-2006, 12:39 AM
he´s too scared of losing to ivan that he just missed him :p

rofe
06-09-2006, 12:45 AM
Not another inflammatory thread... :rolleyes:

Maybe we should also create a thread about how Nadal gave Ivan the evil eye when they left the practise courts and how Ivan got his racket close to Nadal's head and it seemed as though he was going to hit Nadal.

Clara Bow
06-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Oh Jeebus…during the ESPN coverage today they said that it was Federer who didn’t greet Nadal and showed footage of Roger walking by and Nadal looking up after he tied his shoes. This is getting ridiculous. The ESPN commentators were acting like it was a big drama there and now this newspaper writer is doing so to.

Lee
06-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Roger finished practise and walked away from court while Nadal was bending down (tying shoelaces I think). What's the big deal? :shrug:

chicky841
06-09-2006, 12:49 AM
:rolleyes: Oh Lord. Im almost scared to think what Sunday will be like if Fed and Nadal reach the finals. Or even if they dont.

scoobs
06-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Oh Jeebus…during the ESPN coverage today they said that it was Federer who didn’t greet Nadal and showed footage of Roger walking by and Nadal looking up. This is getting ridiculous.
So I guess the wedding's off then?

I knew I should have kept the receipt for the hat.

I mean, who cares about this stuff? They're competitors 1 match away from a potential dogfight against each other, right?

So does it matter that they choose not to indulge in idle pleasantaries as they go through their practice routines? They see each other enough as it is.

What next?

Do we need a breathless report next time Rafa gets a split end or Roger gets a dirty knife in the restaurant?

The level of sheer banality is getting a bit silly :)

rofe
:rolleyes: Oh Lord. Im almost scared to think what Sunday will be like if Fed and Nadal reach the finals. Or even if they dont.

If it is true ( I somehow don't believe it) then won't the friction contribute to a more interesting game? :devil:

Johnny Groove
This comes from the blog of Chiquinho Leite Moreira, an internationally respected journalist who is one of the founding members of ITWA (International Tennis Writers Association).

http://www2.uol.com.br/tenisbrasil/chiquinho/

"Rafael Nadal declared war on Roger Federer and doesn't even want to talk with the Swiss. The scene that revealed all the sensibility of this state happened in Court 4, where both tennis players practiced this Thursday.

Federer hit with an Australian junior - who was turning 17 years old by the way. When leaving the court after the practice, he crossed paths with Nadal. He tried a greeting, a handwave, a 'hi', but didn't get an answer. The Spaniard turned his head, pretended he was going to tie his shoes and looked away as if somebody was calling him.

(...)"

ooooooooooo. What is this crap? who cares if they didnt say hi to each other. Are they married? are they gonna get a divorce? are they kobe and shaq? wheres the :banana:?

athina7
06-09-2006, 12:53 AM
Oh Jeebus…during the ESPN coverage today they said that it was Federer who didn’t greet Nadal and showed footage of Roger walking by and Nadal looking up. This is getting ridiculous.
Yeah, i saw the footage too. Roger was leaving the court and walked past Nadal who was sitting down. Neither aknowledged the other, but so what? :confused:

Clara Bow
06-09-2006, 12:55 AM
The level of sheer banality is getting a bit silly

Next thing you know they will have those body language experts analyzing photos of the two the way they do in gossip magazines.

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 12:57 AM
:lol:

Johnny Groove
06-09-2006, 12:58 AM
They're competitors 1 match away from a potential dogfight against each other

I would definatly take Nadal in a fight. :boxing: :yeah:
It would be a good battle though

oneandonlyhsn
06-09-2006, 01:00 AM
:lol: This is getting preposterous, seems anything with Fed and Nadal in the same sentence seems newsworthy lately

Clara Bow
06-09-2006, 01:00 AM
I'm hoping that someone uploads the video that they showed on ESPN today so we can analayze it and reanalyze it a'la the footage of the magic bullet and JFK. Who snubbed who first? Is the spectator to the right an accomplice to the snub? Is this actually a conspiracy and there was no snub? That would be fun. :p

the cat
06-09-2006, 01:01 AM
What a bunch of rubbish. :( Neither Roger or Rafael deserve this gossipy nonsense. :yawn:

shotgun
06-09-2006, 01:02 AM
I just posted what I read, and thought it would be interesting to share it with those who didn't know. :lol:

Maybe the text of a journalist who saw the scene in loco is more credible than of those who saw it on TV, especially those being fans of the mentioned players.

Even if it's not true, nothing wrong in trying to build up tension for the final on Sunday (in case it really happens). Tennis needs this kind of stuff.

scoobs
06-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Next thing you know they will have those body language experts analyzing photos of the two the way they do in gossip magazines.
I can see it now.

Roger is a confident, competitive man who likes to be the best. The jutting out chin tells of a man used to getting what he wants and the dark soulful eyes show a passion kept under the surface. The knees speak of someone who comes from Switzerland and was once given a cow. The bandana suggests he likes to be tidy but wants to be able to be wild at a moment's notice.

Rafa's hair is that of a man who is shy and trying to hide from the world. His ears speak of Spanish decent, and his is the nose of a man who still can mangle his English. His elbows tell of a determined yet compassionate character who doesn't quit however hard the challenge becomes, but who doesn't gloat in victory. His fingers reveal a dislike for tomatoes and enjoyment of steak. His muscular forearms indicate a determined fighter and yet a tender lover.

:)

Clara Bow
06-09-2006, 01:04 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to scoobsuk again.

Darn! :(

ChloeLove
OH MY GAWWD! THIS IS WAR . . . LIKE, HOW RUDE IS THAT!

chicky841
If it is true ( I somehow don't believe it) then won't the friction contribute to a more interesting game? :devil:

:lol: Oh I was talkin about what Gm would be like, but now that I think about it this supposed tension between them might make the final more interesting. :D

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Roger: Hi Rafa :wavey:

Rafa: *thinks about one-dimensional comments, coaching complaints, try to hook on a call.... and looks away* Go n greet your momma, crying baby

:rocker:

PamV
ESPN showed footage of the two of them when Federer was leaving the practice court. It looked like neither one attempted to say "Hi".

Who cares? I just hope Roger wins !

scoobs
I'm hoping that someone uploads the video that they showed on ESPN today so we can analayze it and reanalyze it a'la the footage of the magic bullet and JFK. Who snubbed who first? Is the spectator to the right an accomplice to the snub? Is this actually a conspiracy and there was no snub? That would be fun. :p

LOL

I want it frame by frame and the ability to view it at 14 different speeds - and if we can have 3 or 4 camera angles, so much the better.

I get the feeling we're just a few more incidents away from a full-blown mutual frown.

Scotso
06-09-2006, 01:08 AM
They didn't even spit at each other? Someone needs to teach them how to create a rivalry.

Clara Bow
06-09-2006, 01:11 AM
They didn't even spit at each other? Someone needs to teach them how to create a rivalry.

Frankly, I would prefer it if they got into a tussle, and during the tussle, managed to tear each others shirts off. It would be even better if it occured while it was raining. :drool:

scoobs
06-09-2006, 01:11 AM
They're probably just sick of the sight of each other.

They're together more than Laverne and Shirley, for Christsakes.

They should have their own TV show.

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. Schlemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated!

Merton
06-09-2006, 01:19 AM
What is the big deal again?

scoobs
06-09-2006, 01:20 AM
What is the big deal again?
That's yet to be determined.

In the meantime, silliness ensues.

Metis
06-09-2006, 01:21 AM
Frankly, I would prefer it if they got into a tussle, and during the tussle, managed to tear each others shirts off. It would be even better if it occured while it was raining. :drool:

Yeah... and rolling on the mud of the center court :lol:

scoobs
06-09-2006, 01:21 AM
Yeah... and rolling on the mud of the center court :lol:
Now that *would* be worth reporting - with multi-angle footage :)

theMEESH
06-09-2006, 01:22 AM
This is some funny high school drama kind of stuff. It reminds me of being in the commons and someone has an arguement with a friend... and five minutes later it's: "Did you hear? Amber slapped her best friend Diana because she was had sex with her boyfriend!"

Sam L (WTAW)
06-09-2006, 01:23 AM
What a snake. :mad:

theMEESH
06-09-2006, 01:25 AM
who's a snake?

Billabong
06-09-2006, 01:35 AM

tangerine_dream
06-09-2006, 01:38 AM
Roger didn't wolf-whistle at Rafa in the lockerroom like he usually does either and that hurt Rafa's feelings.

btw, did anybody see Roger wearing that pink (no holes) shirt while practicing the other day? I love a man who wears pink. :hearts:

oneandonlyhsn
06-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Roger didn't wolf-whistle at Rafa in the lockerroom like he usually does either and that hurt Rafa's feelings.

btw, did anybody see Roger wearing that pink (no holes) shirt while practicing the other day? I love a man who wears pink. :hearts:

I saw that too Tangy, men in pink equals Hamida :inlove:

R.Federer
06-09-2006, 01:48 AM
Please...... for all we know, before the television crew came on, they had said HI, BYe and Good luck and didn't need to say it again 5 minutes later when the crew turned on the camera!!!!

atheneglaukopis
06-09-2006, 01:50 AM
:haha: Poor Rafa.

Metis
06-09-2006, 01:58 AM
OK here are some possible explanations for what happened:

(1) they had already spoken to each other earlier that day (makes sense but boring)

(2) ESPN ran out of juicy topics for Thursday's coverage and begged them to do this.

(3) Rafa was pissed off because Roger sent him a basket of bananas, tomatoes and smelly french cheese for his birthday.

(4) Roger was pissed off because Rafa said he would rather mud wrestle with David than him.

Clara Bow
06-09-2006, 01:59 AM
Just read between the lines of Rafa's blog today. You can tell how much tension there was between them.

I got to the site around 1.15 and I practiced after Federer on the same court, court number 4. Before I go into details about what I did today I want to say I was impressed by all the people at the practice court, not for me but all the other players practicing. It's great that tennis has so many people following.

You can tell in the phrase "I practiced after Federer" that there is indeed some deep seeded resentment about Roger's failure to properly wolf-whistle. I imagine that after practice he went back to the hotel and started a slam book about Feds.

This is nutters in that an article and a brief ESPN piece about two players not saying Hi to each other at a specific moment in time. But, I don't think that there has been so focus put on the minute details of ATP players interactions with each other for quite a while, so in a way- I guess that is good for the sport. Still, very silly. :)

Metis- hee! to your post.

nobama
06-09-2006, 02:05 AM

(1) they had already spoken to each other earlier that day (makes sense but boring)

(2) ESPN ran out of juicy topics for Thursday's coverage and begged them to do this.

(3) Rafa was pissed off because Roger sent him a basket of bananas, tomatoes and smelly french cheese for his birthday.

(4) Roger was pissed off because Rafa said he would rather mud wrestle with David than him.ESPN had time to kill because it only took JHH 36 minutes to give Kimmy a beatdown.

Johnny Groove
06-09-2006, 02:07 AM
"Oh, I forgot that I also took a photo for L'Equipe inside the locker room, so if someone buys the French newspaper tomorrow they will see that picture."

shit, that CANT be good :scared:

scoobs
06-09-2006, 02:09 AM
Days Of Our Federer/Nadal Lives - exclusively on MTF

Tell me - when does one of them develop amnesia and nearly drown?

Have we had an evil twin yet?

Johnny Groove
06-09-2006, 02:10 AM
I think Mirka cheated on Roger for Rafa :devil: I guess she like stamina rather than finesse

theMEESH
06-09-2006, 02:11 AM

that's on tomorrow's episode... gosh!.... just give it all away why don't ya!

scoobs
06-09-2006, 02:12 AM
that's on tomorrow's episode... gosh!.... just give it all away why don't ya!
Thank Goodness - I'm already furious that I missed the one with Mirka's hermaphrodite baby of unknown parentage.

oneandonlyhsn
06-09-2006, 02:12 AM
I think Mirka cheated on Roger for Rafa :devil: I guess she like stamina rather than finesse

Oh please, last night Rafa wanted some, Roger said no. Why, Roger is getting old no, he needs to save some energy for his semi-final against David. Rafa on the other hand is a machine he can go for hours and still play a 5 hour match the next day. Rafa you silly boy thats what you get for hanging out with older men :silly: :p

Johnny Groove
06-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Thank Goodness - I'm already furious that I missed the one with Mirka's hermaphrodite baby of unknown parentage.

that is very disturbing, even by MTF standards...Keep up the good work:yeah:

soraya
06-09-2006, 02:20 AM

(4) Roger was pissed off because Rafa said he would rather mud wrestle with David than him.

#1 and 2 are possibilities and #3,#4 just :haha: :haha:

MissMoJo
06-09-2006, 02:25 AM
This is so exciting! will he greet him tomorrow?!!? :unsure: Please keep us posted :lol:

Carito_90
06-09-2006, 02:34 AM
So they got drunk the night before, did some stuff up in Rafa's room both are embarassed to admit to themselves right now, and so they pretend they never even met. No biggie. ;)

Metis
06-09-2006, 02:40 AM
You can tell in the phrase "I practiced after Federer" that there is indeed some deep seeded resentment about Roger's failure to properly wolf-whistle. I imagine that after practice he went back to the hotel and started a slam book about Feds.

Yep. And notice that he refers to him as "Federer", not "Roger" as in previous posts. You can definitely sense the coldness!!!!!! Well, it seems that the honeymoon is officially over and the gloves are off. :boxing:

Well, the writer is considering both options. Nadal did not greet Roger because he developed amnesia caused by that piece of banana that eventually traveled to his brain OR the person appearing in Thursday's episode actually was Nadal's evil twin who had never before met Roger.

theMEESH
06-09-2006, 03:00 AM
...the person appearing in Thursday's episode actually was Nadal's evil twin who had never before met Roger.

insert dramatic soap opera music here.

veyonce
06-09-2006, 03:01 AM
I'm not alarmed over this. I believe both guys are just focusing on their upcoming big matches and the media is just blowing it out of proportions. No doubt there is tension between 2 of them but this is inevitable since both of them are such strong competitors. I just hope Rafa will defeat Ljubicic today who can't seem to shut his mouth since he believes he can defeat anyone....

admiralpye
06-09-2006, 03:01 AM
They're getting desperate for something else to write about other than, "Nadal's blistering forehand crushes (insert name of player here)" or "federer cruisees into finals, mowing down (insert name here)" for every single tournament they're in.

nobama
06-09-2006, 03:13 AM
I tivo'd ESPN's coverage today and this really is much ado about nothing. They showed Fedrer ending his practice, shaking Mats Wilander's hand and walking off court. Nadal was sitting down tying his shoes when Federer walked by. It was Chris Fowler who wondered if something was up because they didn't stop and say hi to each other. I don't see what the big deal is. They weren't there to chit chat they were there to practice.

switz
06-09-2006, 03:27 AM
this is the business end of the biggest tournament of the year for both of them. it is good they aren't walking around holding hands waxing lyrical about their love for one another

robrulz5
06-09-2006, 03:32 AM
Who cares...

NYCtennisfan
06-09-2006, 04:44 AM
This is all so silly, but if they really hated each other, it would be good for the sport. Go figure.

bad gambler
06-09-2006, 04:46 AM
ridiculous :rolleyes:

El Legenda
06-09-2006, 04:46 AM
so are Roger and Rafa in 4th grade or Pro tennis players? :confused:

Argenbrit
06-09-2006, 04:54 AM
:rolleyes:

yanchr
06-09-2006, 05:13 AM
:lol: :rolleyes: :yawn:

Oriental_Rain
06-09-2006, 05:18 AM
was it them or the ppl talking? :shrug:
theyre taking this rivalry too seriously :rolleyes:

CaliGal
06-09-2006, 05:24 AM
Things just aren't the same on Walton's Mountain anymore...

This made me laugh SOOOO HARD!!!! :worship:

LoveFifteen
06-09-2006, 05:46 AM
So they got drunk the night before, did some stuff up in Rafa's room both are embarassed to admit to themselves right now, and so they pretend they never even met. No biggie. ;)

But this time, Roger didn't choke! Allez! :angel:

robinhood
06-09-2006, 05:51 AM
They don't say hi to each other?
I thought Nadal liked Roger and spoke to him in English.
What happened?

atheneglaukopis
06-09-2006, 05:54 AM
They don't say hi to each other?
I thought Nadal liked Roger and spoke to him in English.
What happened?
Nothing. They probably had already said hi to each other that day.

Deboogle!.
06-09-2006, 05:58 AM
This has Access Hollywood-esque-fabricated-drama written all over it. :zzz:

fooclate
06-09-2006, 06:11 AM

So so true!! The media speculates just a bit too much! Aaah! How the simplest of actions can create fire. They're number one competitors and they're each others arch rivals in this sport. They dont have to go out of their way to say "HIIII" "Hows your tennis goinggg" :) As long as they dont try to kill each other or use their rackets as a frisbee against each other i dont think we have anything to worry about! :angel:

bokehlicious
06-09-2006, 06:44 AM

Rafa: *thinks about one-dimensional comments, coaching complaints, try to hook on a call.... and looks away* Go n greet your momma, crying baby

:rocker:

Still not swallowed ? :lol:

atheneglaukopis
06-09-2006, 07:17 AM
So so true!! The media speculates just a bit too much! Aaah! How the simplest of actions can create fire. They're number one competitors and they're each others arch rivals in this sport. They dont have to go out of their way to say "HIIII" "Hows your tennis goinggg" :) As long as they dont try to kill each other or use their rackets as a frisbee against each other i dont think we have anything to worry about! :angel:
Sadly enough, this is getting as much attention as the Kiefer racquet-as-a-frisbee incident.

Merton
06-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Nothing. They probably had already said hi to each other that day.

This is a perfect application of Occam's Razor. However, it is not as fancy as the alternatives.

MariaV
06-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Even if it's not true, nothing wrong in trying to build up tension for the final on Sunday (in case it really happens). Tennis needs this kind of stuff.
Yeah, because it seems that besides the Rafa-Fed stuff there's not much newsworthy happening in tennis. :( :shrug:

Allez
06-09-2006, 09:06 AM
I feel sorry for Rogi. He tried to be nice but had it thrown back at his face. I thought Nadal had said on his blog "everyone knows I like Federer a lot"... Clearly not enough to say a simple hi. Still this isn't newsworthy. The media are stirring this up again.

Corey Feldman
06-09-2006, 09:14 AM

:rocker::lol:
id think it was something like ..

Roger : Hi Toni Nadal Jun' :wavey:

Rafa: *thinks about most talented and loved player, world No1 status and wins in all other slams he could only ever dream of winning, and roger's threat to the only slam HE could ever win, no?*

rafa runs away crying to mafia toni

:rocker2:

Deivid23
06-09-2006, 09:17 AM
id think it was something like ..

Roger : Hi Toni Nadal Jun' :wavey:

Rafa: *thinks about most talented and loved player, world No1 status and wins in all other slams he could only ever dream of winning, and roger's threat to the only slam HE could ever win, no?*

rafa runs away crying to mafia toni

:rocker2:

That´s what I call a naive parrot :lol:

Corey Feldman
06-09-2006, 09:27 AM
I know you know my version is closer to the truth :D
:rolls: :rolls:

Jade Fox
06-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Guys isn't it obvious what happened? Last night Rafa screamed out Carlos' name during sex, which naturally pissed off Roger because likeohmygod he thought Rafa/Carlos were SO OVER.

So Rafa's in the doghouse and now Roger's getting phone sex from Roddick. I know this because Dimitry told me everything. Girlfriend sure loves his gossip ;).

Carito_90
06-09-2006, 05:29 PM
But this time, Roger didn't choke! Allez! :angel:

No, it was probably Rafa. :angel:

alfonsojose
06-09-2006, 05:59 PM
:haha: :haha: this is ridiculous but they are to blame for this. Pretending to be nice to each other :yawn: that "Rogelio" stuff was pure shit.

MariaV
06-09-2006, 06:39 PM
:haha: :haha: this is ridiculous but they are to blame for this. Pretending to be nice to each other :yawn: that "Rogelio" stuff was pure shit.
Alfonso, and how do you know that? ;) Rogelio is such a wonderful name! I love it! :D :hearts: :inlove: