Nico's one set victory (MensTennisForums.com) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nico's one set victory (MensTennisForums.com)

Rusty Backhand
06-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Taking a set off the infallible machine that is Roger Federer is almost good enough to be considered a victory. That is why today, we celebrate a victory for Nico, and not the reality of a third round defeat at Roland Garros.

http://redir.tennisuniverse.com/massu/News/4654

NicoFan
06-11-2006, 07:06 PM
I just noticed this - it was nice that Nico took a set off of Roger - but too bad he came out so nervous, because he might have taken 2 off of Roger.

cobalt60
06-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Massu was indeed very happy to take a set. That was the goal he had set for himself
for that match.

+alonso
06-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Nah, He wanted to beat him :devil: That's what He said :p

NicoFan
06-11-2006, 10:50 PM

Yes, that's what he said. A win was the goal. :yeah:

And he was upset when he lost. He said that it was kind of like - what if? What if he had come out strong?

He played Fed so even in the 3rd and 4th sets.

I doubt he still would have won - but I think he could have take 2 sets off Roger.

cobalt60
06-11-2006, 11:22 PM
I was referring to something else prior to the match;) He always goes on court wanting to win. What player doesn't?

Sparko1030
06-12-2006, 04:25 AM
Yeah, it was a great accomplishment that Nico took a set off Roger. :yeah: I believe that before his loss to Rafa today that Nalbandian was the only other opponent to do so.

And Alonso is right, he was playing for the win. He lost the 4th set 5-7 and was so close to a 5th set and a possible win that he was very dissapointed and it was obvious from his body language after the match.

Oh and a BIG :ras: to Jon Werthiem for missing this bit of "trivia" in his first week RG grades when he wrote that Roger didn't drop set in the first week. Cm'on Jon, its not that hard to get this stuff right! ;)