Taped Men's Semis in US??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Taped Men's Semis in US???

federerfan7465
06-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Wow. It appears that NBC isnt showing Tennis tomorow morning until 10:00 am, while Fed vs Nalby begins at 7 .

I guess they are hoping to show Rafa live,then taped Fed.

I hope to God they dont show two taped matches.

Thanks, NBC :rolleyes:

Dirk
06-08-2006, 01:52 PM
No, NBC will likely show the Fed match taped. ESPN will get the Nadal semi. THANKS FOR NOTIHNG NBC :fiery:

nobama
06-08-2006, 01:58 PM
This is the schedule from ESPN2's website:

June 9 10 a.m.-1 p.m. (taped) Men's semifinals NBC
June 9 6-8 p.m. (taped) Men's semifinal No. 1 ESPN2
June 10 1-4:30 a.m. (taped) Men's semifinal No. 2 NBC

All mens semis will be shown taped either on NBC or ESPN2. ESPN2 is not showing anything live because of the World Cup. I thought that was going to be on ESPN, but ESPN has NCAA basketball.

Johnny Groove
06-08-2006, 02:03 PM
This is the schedule from ESPN2's website:

June 9 10 a.m.-1 p.m. (taped) Men's semifinals NBC
June 9 6-8 p.m. (taped) Men's semifinal No. 1 ESPN2
June 10 1-4:30 a.m. (taped) Men's semifinal No. 2 NBC

All mens semis will be shown taped either on NBC or ESPN2. ESPN2 is not showing anything live because of the World Cup. I thought that was going to be on ESPN, but ESPN has NCAA basketball.

:banghead: why dont they do anything that makes sense?

Clara Bow
06-08-2006, 02:07 PM
I thought that was going to be on ESPN, but ESPN has NCAA basketball.

Slight correction- they are showing college baseball- not basketball. They are showing the NCAA baseball playoffs.

I just hope my Tivo can navigate all of the different channels.

Deboogle!.
06-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Hey, it's worse for the West Coasters - it's 10am in ALL Time Zones.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-08-2006, 03:19 PM
it's unfortunate, but the World Cup coverage has to take priority, it's the kick off of the tournament, any other time these semis would be live I'm sure.

Kip
06-08-2006, 03:23 PM
it's unfortunate, but the World Cup coverage has to take priority, it's the kick off of the tournament, any other time these semis would be live I'm sure.

This is ESPN & NBC we're talking about,
but I suppose you maybe right.

Then again, how many times have taped
matches been shown over live tennis with
these stations? :rolleyes: :p :cool:

Johnny Groove
06-08-2006, 03:25 PM

:banghead: its Germany, Costa Rica, Poland, and Ecuador! :mad:

So, now USA cares about football? This is round robin! RG is semifinals:banghead:

tennisace
06-08-2006, 03:36 PM
It's the same for the men's semi's as it's been every year since I can remember, but at least now they show the finals live.

mangoes
06-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Federer & Nalbandian will be shown on NBC

Nadal and Ljubicic will be shown on ESPN

NYCtennisfan
06-08-2006, 03:46 PM
It's always been like this as tennicace pointed out. Every single year the semis are taped, but at least the final is live now. Slow progress....

fedpras
06-08-2006, 03:55 PM
At the very least, NBC could show Nadal v. Ljubicic instead of Federer v. Nalbandian so that the coverage would be live (in the east at least).

zicofirol
06-08-2006, 04:09 PM
if anyone has ESPN DEPORTES they will show the games live so Im good, wake up at 6 watch teh matches and then its WORLD CUP :rocker:

Leo
06-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Men's semis are taped every year.

Deboogle!.
06-08-2006, 05:15 PM
At the very least, NBC could show Nadal v. Ljubicic instead of Federer v. Nalbandian so that the coverage would be live (in the east at least).they could, but i'm sure that's not what the contract says. I'm sure NBC is paying a handsome premium to show what they determine to be the "better" match, so they are gonna show that one because they have the right to. It's all business and contracts. the sport of it comes way way down the line.

Billabong
06-08-2006, 06:23 PM
In Canada, RDS will show the Fed-Nalby match live (7 AM ET), but the Nadal-Ljubo match taped (19h30 ET), so at least we have one match live :D For once I'm glad we have RDS in Quebec:worship:

Scotso
06-08-2006, 06:32 PM
They should just give all tennis rights to the tennis channel :shrug:

If they did that I'd sign up for Dish Network.

Argenbrit
06-08-2006, 06:39 PM
if anyone has ESPN DEPORTES they will show the games live so Im good

Yep, ESPN international is showing them live. :D

R.Federer
06-08-2006, 06:53 PM
AAAaaaaaaaaaargh!!!! Why do they do these things?!!! Why spoil reasonably good coverage over 2 weeks on this bad note? AAAaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!

Billabong
06-08-2006, 07:10 PM
RDS will take its coverage from ESPN Deportes most probably;)

sierra91
06-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey, it's worse for the West Coasters - it's 10am in ALL Time Zones.
Three words ... The Today Show

fedpras
06-08-2006, 09:26 PM
they could, but i'm sure that's not what the contract says. I'm sure NBC is paying a handsome premium to show what they determine to be the "better" match, so they are gonna show that one because they have the right to. It's all business and contracts. the sport of it comes way way down the line.

I know, I know. They're not really interested in pleasing us fans, they just care about making money. But don't they think that showing live coverage will interest more people? Plus, Nadal v. Ljubicic is hardly a matchup between two unknowns.

But yeah, I know how NBC thinks. Maybe we should organize a protest. :rolleyes:

fedpras
06-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Three words ... The Today Show

But why bother even buying coverage on Friday if they know they can't show it live because of the Today Show? And who actually watches the Today Show?

Deboogle!.
06-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Three words ... The Today ShowI know why, i'm just saying it' even worse for those not on the east coast.

and fedpras. I bet more people watch the today show than tennis. honestly.

fedpras
06-08-2006, 10:20 PM
I know why, i'm just saying it' even worse for those not on the east coast.

I was joking. :rolleyes:

MisterQ
06-08-2006, 10:34 PM
I know why, i'm just saying it' even worse for those not on the east coast.

They could postpone the Today show, but they would have to call it Yesterday.

I'm just happy to get some tennis on my TV, woohoo!

Yappa
06-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Sucks to be american tomorrow. I wonder if I were able to avoid any results before watching the tape delayed if I had the same problem tomorrow.

lunahielo
06-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted byMisterQ
I'm just happy to get some tennis on my TV, woohoo!
Me too, Mr. Q~~~~~~and
to everyone else~~~I watch the Today Show..most days. :)
luna
(Allez Roger) :worship:

chicky841
06-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Tsn (in canada) is showing it from 7 am to 1pm so ill at least get to see the David/Fed match live, which is the one i wanted.

Mechlan
06-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Getting up (or staying up?) at 4am west coast was a tough call. Now if I am awake at that time, all I get are scores? Ugh.

Time to beat that dead horse. When matches are taking place at 4am and networks still end up preempting for whatever reason, the sport is in a sorry state.

Billabong
06-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Tsn (in canada) is showing it from 7 am to 1pm so ill at least get to see the David/Fed match live, which is the one i wanted.

for once, we are the lucky ones;)

soraya
06-09-2006, 12:42 AM
they could, but i'm sure that's not what the contract says. I'm sure NBC is paying a handsome premium to show what they determine to be the "better" match, so they are gonna show that one because they have the right to. It's all business and contracts. the sport of it comes way way down the line.

right, and it depends where you are at in the States. I remember NBC not showing the IW final in the pacific North West. :confused:

PamV
06-09-2006, 12:45 AM
Federer & Nalbandian will be shown on NBC

Nadal and Ljubicic will be shown on ESPN

Thanks !!!!

Good Luck Roger :angel:

croat123
06-09-2006, 12:50 AM
why doesn't espn get coverage from 7-10 and then nbc gets the rest. what the fuck?????

soraya
06-09-2006, 02:27 AM
why doesn't espn get coverage from 7-10 and then nbc gets the rest. what the fuck?????

FYI - from the tennis week site

NBC will televise Friday's Federer-Nalbandian semifinal on tape delay starting at 10 a.m. in all time zones. The network's commitment to its morning franchise, The Today Show, takes precedence over presenting the semifinal match live. NBC's contractual rights prevents ESPN2 from airing the men's semi before NBC.

ESPN2 will present tape-delay telecasts of both men's semifinals on Friday. ESP2 will televise the first men's semifinal from 6-8 p.m. Eastern time Friday night and air the second semifinal starting at 1 a.m. Eastern time on Saturday morning.

NBC will televise the women's final between reigning Roland Garros champion Justine Henin-Hardenne and Svetlana Kuznetsova live starting at 9 a.m. Eastern time on Saturday. The men's final will air on NBC live starting at 9 a.m. Eastern time on Sunday.

NBC's Roland Garros Schedule

nobama
06-09-2006, 03:14 AM
Just what I thought. Matt Lauer is more important than RG SF. :(

athina7
06-09-2006, 03:21 AM
Their coverage is for 3 hours tomorrow. So, if the match takes more than 3 hours, what are they going to do? Edit it? I remember them doing that last year too.

Scotso
06-09-2006, 05:32 AM
oh gross... so ESPN will show Federer AGAIN before showing Nadal? Meh!