Who will win the Australian Open? (better options) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who will win the Australian Open? (better options)

Frooty_Bazooty
01-16-2004, 01:33 PM
no offence to safinagirly but in one of her "who will win?" topics she has left out agassi and in the other she left out federer. so ive made a thread with all the options

EDIT: spelling mistake

star
01-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Thanks Frooty.

Agassi and Federer deserve to be in there. :)

There's also a poll at MSNBC.

Bud is tipping Lleyton.

Frooty_Bazooty
01-16-2004, 01:40 PM
thx star :yippee: , i hope people dont think im being bitchy, id just prefer it if their was a topic with all the choices in it.

oh and btw for any of you wondering why i left the following out, here's why-

Coria, because of his possible injury
Younes for the same reason
Safin, cos he hasnt played very much at all and his results in the time he has played havent been exceptional

maratgirl
01-16-2004, 01:54 PM
I think that marat has a great change to win it because he is well motivated and that improves his game

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 01:55 PM
you didn't put an "I have absolutely no freaking clue" option LOL

Experimentee
01-16-2004, 01:58 PM
I think Agassi will win.

The last time Safin played uninjured he got to the final, and thats a great effort. He should have been on the poll IMO.

Frooty_Bazooty
01-16-2004, 02:19 PM
im sorry but i dont think its plausible for a player who has played 3 singles matches in the past 3 months to win the australian open. keeping mind that of those 3 matches, he only won 2, against novak and santoro who in fairness are nothing compared to playing agassi, federer or roddick (which it is possible he might have to play all 3!!!). he also lost against james blake. also in the hopman cup he lost all 3 of his doubles matches in straight sets.

he might get to the fourth round or so but to say he will win is just dillusional

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 02:28 PM
well it's the AO.... really, anything can happen. Who knows, Vahaly is a pretty streaky player, he might have it in him to take out Marat you never ever know.

safinagirly
01-16-2004, 02:35 PM
well it ' s more options im not offense at all

*Ljubica*
01-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Well I voted for David - NOT just because I'm crazy about him and I want him to win :) , but because I seriously think he has a good chance, - especially after his results at Kooyong. His confidence must be soaring after winning four tie-breaks out of four, and beating Roddick, and the court surface in Australia suits him. I'm still not happy about the wrist (it worried me to see the wrist support back on last night), but as he says that was only precautionary because of Andy's serve, then hopefully he still feels OK. Other than that, I don't think you can ever discount Lleyton playing in his own country, or Agassi.

safinagirly
01-16-2004, 02:45 PM
who wil go to the ao?

MisterQ
01-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Andre! He's in great form. He can be beaten, but the guy on the other side of the net will have to play VERY well!

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Well Rosie, he said the wrist guards were more for psychological reasons than a physical need for them, so that should make you feel better :)

If he can play 6 LONG TOUGH sets against two of the hardest servers in the game and be ok, I can't imagine him having any trouble at any other point!

*Ljubica*
01-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Well Rosie, he said the wrist guards were more for psychological reasons than a physical need for them, so that should make you feel better :)

If he can play 6 LONG TOUGH sets against two of the hardest servers in the game and be ok, I can't imagine him having any trouble at any other point!

Thanks for the reassurance bunk - guess I'm just one of those people who is a "born worrier".

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 03:28 PM
I understand... if it were Andy I'd be doing the same thing :) But yea, in his press conference he reassures that he's fine and also in a few articles I read it specifically mentioned the wristband was there just to make him feel better about it in his head

tangerine_dream
01-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Oh, gee, guess who I voted for? ;)

ANDRE!!! :worship:

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 03:49 PM
big shocker there!!!!!!!! ;):p

Kiara
01-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Nalbandian!

Havok
01-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Andre, simply because it's Andre. it's like if Hingis was still around playing her best tennis, i would vote for her with my eyes closed

Yashirobai
01-16-2004, 05:13 PM
moya will go with a lot of confidence, but the draw is hard for him

tangerine_dream
01-16-2004, 05:19 PM
from tennis-x.com:

Posted on January*16,*2004

Agassi Looking the Favorite at Australian Open
By*Richard Vach

While he is seeded fourth behind world No. 1 Andy Roddick, Roger Federer and Juan Carlos Ferrero, Andre Agassi has established himself during the first two weeks of the year as the favorite for next week's Australian Open.

The defending Aussie Open champion pummeled Federer this week at the Kooyong exhibition, causing the Swiss to question why bookmakers would have him ahead of the American in the odds. The match was a turnaround from the last time the two met, when Federer was at the top of his game and took Agassi apart in the final of the year-end Masters Cup.

"You know, you have to take your chances against Roger because he has such a feel for the game and has such great weapons," Agassi said after the Kooyong win. "You can't hope for better preparation than this, to play the world's best players coming into the first grand slam of the year."

While Federer used the holiday off-season to unwind from a brilliant 2003 that included the Wimbledon and Masters Cup titles, Agassi hit the weight room and ran the hills of Las Vegas in his patented off-season routine that has jump-started his early-season effort a number of times, such as last year when he won four of the first five tournaments he played.

Agassi will likely be helped along by the rash of injuries to players entering Melbourne, including two Top 10 threats in Guillermo Coria (abdominal muscle) and David Nalbandian (wrist). The No. 3-seeded Ferrero has played one tour match this year, extending his losing streak from 2003 to 0-7. The Melbourne heat will make the two-week event a battle of fitness, with all eyes on Agassi, who gives 10 years or more to many of his opponents in the draw.

Here is a look at the Top 10 threats entering next week's Australian Open:

TOP 10 AUSSIE OPEN MEN'S PICKS

1. Andre Agassi
The 33-year-old defending four-time champ put in his standard brutal off-season regiment with trainer Gil Reyes and has looked in top form at the Kooyong exo. "I think it just sort of proves to me that the pieces are in place. You still need to execute but this gives you the reassurance that you're ready to get the (Aussie Open) tournament started. I base it on just how I feel with my game and what I'm doing out there.

2. Carlos Moya
The 1997 Aussie Open runner-up has yet to lose a match this year, with a title in Chennai and a semifinal run thus far this week at Sydney. The Spaniard has the hardcourt tools and lots of confidence. "It is the most important thing, being confident. You win matches even without playing great tennis. That's because of the confidence. Now I'm playing really well. I was lucky in Chennai. In the second round, I was match point down. But I won that match. Since then I have played very solid tennis."

3. Roger Federer
Has looked horrible at the Kooyong exo this week, and is not battle-tough after skipping the first two weeks of ATP events. "I was surprised to read it (that he is favored by the betting houses over Agassi) because his hardcourt record is better than mine...I still need to prove myself a little bit more on these hardcourts." When asked what he is displeased about with his game, he said "everything." Wrong answer. Fed is a confidence-riding competitor, so it doesn't look good.

4. Lleyton Hewitt
The former No. 1 has looked strong this week in Sydney, and seems to have the fire that was lacking in 2003. After his year-end Davis Cup triumph, the Aussie said he could see himself rising to the top spot again in 2004, and Melbourne is the title he covets most.

5. Andy Roddick
Not saying A-Rod won't win another slam in 2004, just likely not this one. Roddick has not looked great during the first couple weeks of the year, and players are getting a handle on staying further back on his serve and working the backhand. A Melbourne title would make the A-Rod Media Blitz unstoppable.

6. Dominik Hrbaty
The Dominator winning the Aussie Open? Who thought Thomas Johansson would win in 2002, or Petr Korda in 1998 after 14 consecutive years of No. 1 or former No. 1-ranked title winners? The Slovak has a nasty ground game, and his quarterfinal effort in 2001 gave him a taste of late-round competition. Stop laughing.

7. Tim Henman
The British No. 1 missed the tournament last year with injury but has been in excellent form since winning the TMS-Paris at the end of 2003. Timbledon has yet to reach a QF in Melbourne, but a breakthrough could be nigh if he can stand the Melbourne heat.

8. Juan Carlos Ferrero
The way we look at it, an 0-7 losing streak could be the perfect no-pressure preparation for the Spaniard to make a run. The US Open runner-up effort last year was no fluke, and the tacky Aussie Open hardcourts should be to The Mosquito's liking.

9. Mark Philippoussis
All the tools, but none of the brains. Flipper is more than qualified to hold up the Aussie Open hardware, if he can conquer the big-match jitters and jettison some of that poor shot selection during big points that has lost many a match.

10. Marat Safin
Wouldn't that be a story, stealing the Aussie title after a long lay-off with the bum wrist? Safin has looked sharp in some pre-Aussie Open exos, so if the fitness is there and the wrist can hold up to seven best-of-five matches in two weeks, why not? Stranger things have happened Down Under.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 05:52 PM
someone gave this guy the bong from Kooyong... Hrbaty over those guys?

tennis_chick89
01-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Well I think that Andy has a good chance of winning! if he wanted to!
I voted for Andy because I am a HUGE fan of his tennis and also his lolz!
I see that no one put Rafael Nadal on the poll(another 1 of my favs)!
Maybe it's because he's not very well known yet!!
anywayz anyone else no him and like his tennis?
thanx!
byeeee :)

HybridTheory
01-16-2004, 06:54 PM
i vote for David Nalbandian, because i think if hes in shape he can beat everyone

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 06:55 PM
hi tennis_chick! welcome :wavey:

come say hi on the Andy forum! :)

Chloe le Bopper
01-16-2004, 10:01 PM
someone gave this guy the bong from Kooyong... Hrbaty over those guys?
Hrbaty should be mentioned as a darkhorse candidate... but potential winner? Hmmmm. I haven't checked his draw, mind you. Perhaps I should go do that...

I voted for Andre, for obvious reasons. Did I say that already?

Chloe le Bopper
01-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Well I think that Andy has a good chance of winning! if he wanted to!
I voted for Andy because I am a HUGE fan of his tennis and also his lolz!
I see that no one put Rafael Nadal on the poll(another 1 of my favs)!
Maybe it's because he's not very well known yet!!
anywayz anyone else no him and like his tennis?
thanx!
byeeee :)
Lots of people like Nadal... he's just not exactly at "Grand Slam Contender" status yet. Check out his forum here... lots of people post about him.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Darkhorse, ok? Above Henman, who is playing the best tennis of his life? or Flip at home? or JFC the world #3 or Marat a former AO Finalist and world #1????

His draw isn't bad actually, Hrbaty's I mean. He's in Agassi's quarter though. And frankly I don't see how Andre won't get to the SF. Hrbaty plays Saretta first, then Robredo/Gaudio winner, then could get Grosjean or Youzhny, Schuettler.... yea I don't see him winning.

Chloe le Bopper
01-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Darkhorse, ok? Above Henman, who is playing the best tennis of his life? or Flip at home? or JFC the world #3 or Marat a former AO Finalist and world #1????

His draw isn't bad actually, Hrbaty's I mean. He's in Agassi's quarter though. And frankly I don't see how Andre won't get to the SF. Hrbaty plays Saretta first, then Robredo/Gaudio winner, then could get Grosjean or Youzhny, Schuettler.... yea I don't see him winning.
Robredo hasn't been playing too bad the past couple weeks. Hopefully Hrbaty is fatigued so that Tommy beats him ;) I like Hrbaty.... I just like Robredo better.

Anyways... I don't see Mark or Ferrero as darkhorses anyways, they're contenders. Ferrero more so, despite his losing streak (which I believe, like the author, is a blessing in disguise).

Marat and Henman are less contenders and more darkhorses... so yeah, I'd throw Hrbaty in with them. ;)

Kiara
01-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Agassi, Moya, Roddick,Ferrero, Federer,Hewitt- wow gutsy predictions :rolleyes: ........he forgot Nalbandian :p these guys are frontrunners not threats....Maratski,Henman,Hrbaty,Escude,Ljubicic and Dent are the darkhorses....Im going to include Novak in the DH category and add Nadal too...he could cause a few upsets ;)

Leo
01-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Who the hell is this guy to put Moya as #2, when he hasn't reached even a Grand Slam semifinal in decades, it seems, and Hrbaty at #6 and leave out Nalbandian entirely?! :eek:

Kiara
01-16-2004, 11:13 PM
In all fairness Moya does have a shot.......but to leave Nalbandian out entirely...:eek:

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 11:29 PM
it's tennis-x...... I stopped questioning what the hell they're on a long time ago.... well mostly lol

JeLuliA88
01-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Andre Agassi, how could u not vote for him when he's playing the way he's playing???? I think that Nalbandian and Juan carlos is also in their with a chance.... as for roddick and federer, they're really not playing to their standards right now > besides both have pretty hard draws, especially roddick.

Leo
01-17-2004, 12:01 AM
In all fairness Moya does have a shot.......but to leave Nalbandian out entirely...:eek:

Yes, but I would certainly not put him at #2 ahead of Hewitt, Roddick, Federer, and Ferrero.

J. Corwin
01-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Seeing Moya at #2 is a little...weird. Nalbandian should be in there, but he did give a reason as to why he left him out. Hrbaty at #6 is crazy.

undomiele
01-17-2004, 01:28 AM
mmmm if Nalbandian beats Agassi in Kooyong then Nalbandian would have to be considered a serious contender. Though Im not sure how hard his quarter is...

Fedex
01-17-2004, 01:35 AM
In the quarters he is seeded to meet Federer. I agree, if he beats Agassi, then Id say he's got as good a chance as the other top seeds. He also has a dangerous 4th rd, seeded to meet Henman.

renatoal
01-17-2004, 02:04 AM
Guga will win !!!

Frooty_Bazooty
01-17-2004, 02:21 AM
it would be foolish nopt to put moya in as a fave for the AO cos hes not lost a match this year (assuming he is sbeating hewiott right noew_ sory im not reallyt kaing sens eim a bit dtunk

azza
01-17-2004, 02:36 AM
Philippoussis

undomiele
01-17-2004, 06:57 AM
it would be foolish nopt to put moya in as a fave for the AO cos hes not lost a match this year (assuming he is sbeating hewiott right noew_ sory im not reallyt kaing sens eim a bit dtunk

LOL

tracy
01-17-2004, 07:19 AM
i hope jc will win ,but his opponent is very formidable .

amethyst
01-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Itīs really hard to guess in menīs tennis. I vote for Nalbandian. I doubt his mental abilities to go all the way a little bit, but I think heīs ready for a big win.

I donīt think itīs ridiculous to mention Hrbaty as a favourite or darkhorse. He has never lived up to his talents. It would be nice to see if he could do so this time.

Springy
01-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Coria

Deboogle!.
01-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Here's tennisreporters.net top 10.... still seems unlikely but also seems more realistic than tennis-x.
------
Hewitt, Roddick likely in final battle
Our Top 10: Lleyton, Andy, Roger, Andre, Scud, Carlos, Rainer, JC, David N. & Paradorn

By Matthew Cronin
tennisreporters.net

1. Lleyton Hewitt: Hewitt led Australia to the Davis Cup crown, sporting a perfect 6-0 record, which included astounding come from behind five-set wins over Roger Federer and Juan Carlos Ferrero. That alone says that when he sets goals and a competition means something to him, this former No. 1 is more than capable of delivering.

In '03, the controversial Aussie was too distracted by his battles with the ATP, but now he seems to have calmed down some. With lightening speed and Aussie Rules football mental toughness, Hewitt needs only to pick up the pace on his serve and occasionally use the net to his advantage to launch himself back into the top five. He's in terrific shape and as he showed at Hopman Cup and in Sydney, heís hitting his stride. He has the freshest legs out there and if he can get by Federer in the fourth round, should be able to out-sweat Nalbandian, Ferrero or the Scud en route the final. Once there, the little Gladiator will give them hell.

2. Andy Roddick: Like at the US Open when he improbably drew Tim Henman in his opening match, Roddick faces a stern test in the first round when he will have to put down Ferocious Fore-nando Gonzalez. Fortunately for Andy, Gonzalez hasnít played much of late and as powerful as the Chilean is, he can be very erratic and doesnít return serve all too well.

But even if Roddick pops Fernando Abba-style, heís potentially looking at Taylor Dent or Juan-Igancio Chela in round three. Then he might have a marathon rematch with Younes El Aynaoui in the fourth round and could face Nico Massu, Mardy Fish or more than likely, the red hot Carlos Moya in the quarters. The semis could bring Aussie king Agassi. If Roddick wins this Slam, heís will truly prove the competitive mettle that coach Brad Gilbert loves to talk about.

3. Roger Federer: Had he not uttered the words "donít put down money on me" a few days ago, Federer would have been a tempting pick. But as soon as he said that, his talent level vanished and I caught a whiff of a fourth-round loss to Hewitt.

Not that Federer canít take Lleyton or any other player out, but Iím still slightly suspicious of his head and canít easily get his loss to Nalbandian at the US Open out of my mind. While Roger rolling to Slam title No. 2 wouldnít surprise me, I canít sense thatís heís incredibly confident and I am doubting his decision to fire coach Peter Lundgren and not have another coach lined up for the Aussie Open. Girlfriend and former WTA player Miroslava V. better take off her mangerís cap and put on her scoutís jacket starting on Monday.

4. Andre Agassi: While one should never count out Agassi at the Aussie Open Ė where his brutal off-season conditioning program has paid off four times Ė the 33-year-old is due for a downer Down Under. Sure, Agassi responds like no other to Melbourne's searing heat and loves the slightly higher bounce of Rebound Ace, but none of the Ferocious Four (Roddick, Federer, Ferrero or Hewitt) have won titles there and at least two of them will show incredible intensity during the fortnight.

Agassiís return of serve still remains one of the tour's best, but he hasn't shown since last January that he has the staying power to go deep at a Slam. Donít forget that heís title-less since April and he appears to have lost a half-a-step and more than a few ounces of power.

Putting that aside for a moment, Agassi has a nice draw until the fourth round, when heíll likely face Guga or Paradorn. The quarters may bring the tough-legged Schuettler, which is very losable match for Andre given that Rainer wants revenge for last yearís debacle. But if Andreís feeling spry, itís a winnable contest if he plays patiently enough.

Andre will try to use his wealth of experience, his master strategist's mind and crowd support to his advantage. Should he combine all three, he could take down Roddick or Moya, too. But beating a Hewitt or Federer in the final? Only a gift from God will propel the 33-year-old that far. Letís hope that Pete is watching.

5. Mark Philippoussis: Back in December after he clinched Australiaís Davis Cup by TKO-ing Ferrero, it appeared that the Scudís shoulder was fried. But he says he fine now and played reasonably well in Sydney until Martin Verkerk out-bellowed him.

The Flipper showed at Wimbledon last year that he is more than capable of going deep at a Slam and has an interesting but negotiable draw. í02 Aussie champ Thomas Johannson is his first round opponent, but poor old Tommy Joe has a long way to go before he fully recovers from injury. Verkerk could be the Scudís third-round foe, but he should be able to outlast the Ducthman in a fiveĖsetter. Then there are some easy rusty or rickety pickings until the semis: Guillermo Coria (injured), Greg Rusedski (in chaos), Alberto Costa (in hyperspace) and Juan Carlos Ferrero (slumping badly).
Should he reach the final four, donít count Philippoussis out if he can ratchet up his serve.

6. Carlos Moya: King Carlos has a very tough first-rounder against James Blake, who had a nice run at Hopman Cup. That one has upset written all over it, but Moya has started the year in sterling fashion and should be able to squeak by JB. A third-rounder against Mardy Fish or Arnaud Clement doesnít scare him, but a quarterfinal against Roddick just might make him quake a little.

Itís so hard to get a read on the Spanish veteran: during some parts of the year, you think heís ready to regain No. 1. But other weeks Ė especially during the Slams Ė you get the feeling that he doesnít want it badly enough anymore, which is why he failed to go deep at the majors in í03.

I will say this: his takedown of Philippoussis in Davis Cup in December was very impressive and, as of Friday, he hadnít lost a match since then. Letís give Carlos the benefit of the doubt until the quarters and assume that he can at least extend Andy into the fifth set. Should he get there, maybe his magic will come back.

7. Rainer Schuettler: This is the tournament where the solid German made his mark last year, until he looked like a deer in the headlight in the final against Andre. But heís actually improved since then and should he get past a dicey second-round contest against Doha champ Nicolas Escude, may well find himself battling Andre once again, although this time in the quarters. A repeat run to the final is highly improbable for Schuettler, but a second week visit isnít.

8. Juan Carlos Ferrero: After a tremendous summer that included his first Roland Garros title, a respectable Wimbledon and a terrific run to the US Open final, Ferrero was a much deserving (but temporary) No. 1. His deep, razor-sharp groundies were aided by a very underrated serve (especially his kicker) and he has a much better understanding of how to pick apart his opponents.

But the Spaniard was deeply affected by his inability to trip up Roddick in the US Open final and had a terrible fall, losing his last six matches. He blew his shot at the year-end No. 1 when he folded in Houston and then he dropped two matches in the Davis Cup final. He was stunned in the first round of Sydney, a clear indication that the moody Ferrero won't easily mentally recover and will likely revert back to his '02 form, where he vanished when all the chips were on the table.

With all that said, JC has the talent and the fight to deep, he just has to rediscover it again. He has a very easy draw into the quarters (if thatís possible for a guy whoís lost seven matches in a row) and should he battle his way there, could find himself renewed.

9. David Nalbandian: The Argentine tripped up Roddick in a third set-breaker in Kooyong, which shows that heís lost none of his impressive stuff. Nalbandian is blessed with an easy draw to the quarters, but likely waiting will either be Hewitt (who owns him) or Federer, who he owns. Had he been in another section of the draw, a semifinal or better would be a real possibility, but heíll be stopped in round five. Then again, he could go down to Nicolas Kiefer or Fillip Volandri in the second round.

10. Paradorn Srichaphan: The immensely popular Thai has a real shot to do some damage here, as he should waltz into the third round and he has more than enough game to repel Guga there. Paradorn has shown in the past that he can overpower Andre, too, his likely fourth round opponent.

Just imagine if Paradorn actually wins those two matches, knocks off Schuettler or someone else in the quarters and goes all the way to the semis? Better start ordering those extra planes from Bangkok to Melbourne immediately. Of course, he could fall quietly to Albert Portas in the second round, too. Better put a hold on that call to Qauntas.

Leo
01-18-2004, 03:51 AM
Okay, couple comments on David. First of all, Volandri and Kiefer are in Ferrero's section of the draw, not Nalbandian's. Plus he'd absolutely never lose to Volandri on hard courts. Nor he would lose to Kiefer unless the German remarkably reverted to his 2000 form out of nowhere.

WyverN
01-18-2004, 04:20 AM
3. Roger Federer: Had he not uttered the words "donít put down money on me" a few days ago, Federer would have been a tempting pick. But as soon as he said that, his talent level vanished and I caught a whiff of a fourth-round loss to Hewitt.

Except that Roger seems to enjoy being the underdog and has played his best tennis when he himself probably didnt expect to win

leahwurth
01-18-2004, 05:55 AM
im sorry but i dont think its plausible for a player who has played 3 singles matches in the past 3 months to win the australian open. keeping mind that of those 3 matches, he only won 2, against novak and santoro who in fairness are nothing compared to playing agassi, federer or roddick (which it is possible he might have to play all 3!!!). he also lost against james blake. also in the hopman cup he lost all 3 of his doubles matches in straight sets.

he might get to the fourth round or so but to say he will win is just dillusional

but keep in mind, santoro is like marat's achilles's heel--one of the few players he has a losing record with and yet after almost a year of being absent due to injury, he was able to overcome that obstacle. that says a lot about marat's determination and mental strength upon returning. i think he is a strong contender for the AO.

hythger
01-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Agassi without a doubt!