New ATP Big 4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

New ATP Big 4

TennisGrandSlam
06-07-2006, 04:28 PM
4 Top Seed of Roland Garros 2006 (cuttent ATP Ranking NO.4)

Also 4 most succesful ATP players in 2005

Federer : 11 titles including Wimbledon, US Open and 4 ATP Tennis Masters Series

Nadal : 11 titles including Roland Garros and 4 ATP Tennis Masters Series

Ljubicic : Davis Cup

Nalbandian : Tennis Masters Cup

All enter the semi-finals :eek:

martinatreue
06-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Didn't roger also win Australian Open?

Pigpen Stinks
06-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Didn't roger also win Australian Open?

This year, not last year. They were citing 2005 results. Marat won last year.

tangerine_dream
06-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks for showing us in color the huge chasm separating Nos. 1 and 2 from Nos. 3 and 4. So much for depth in men's tennis.

liisa
06-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks for showing us in color the huge chasm separating Nos. 1 and 2 from Nos. 3 and 4. So much for depth in men's tennis.
so true...

marti_228
06-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Nalbandian won Munich in 2005 too and I don't know if Ljubicic won another title, just by his own.

TennisGrandSlam
06-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Nalbandian won Munich in 2005 too and I don't know if Ljubicic won another title, just by his own.

Ljubicic won 11 of 12 in Davis Cup for Croatia!

jenanun
06-07-2006, 06:29 PM
roger :yeah:

the new big 4 vs old big 4...

the old big 4 were all former/current no.1.., with at least one GS each...

the new one, only roger is/has been the no.1
only roger and rafa have won GS...

so the old big 4 in general were better.....

marti_228
06-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Ljubicic won 11 of 12 in Davis Cup for Croatia!

I didn't mean to say that DC is not worthy, what I wanted to know was if he had won a single title in 2005.

Andre♥
06-07-2006, 06:38 PM
I didn't mean to say that DC is not worthy, what I wanted to know was if he had won a single title in 2005.

Metz, Vienna and Zagreb (this one was a challanger).

marti_228
06-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks.

alfonsojose
06-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Big? Ljubicic and Federer not at all. Any pics of Nalby and Nadal :drool: ?

mangoes
06-07-2006, 06:51 PM
I don't feel that we presently have a "big 4" as we did with Roger, Andy, Lleyton and Marat. I feel we have a "Big 2": Roger and Rafa.

Yergeht Fladnag
06-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Well, if you rate success by ATP points, Madrid and Paris TMS finals were more important than his titles in Metz and Vienna. I'm sure everyone agrees that his indoors streak was really AMAZING last year:

Metz, France
International Series, 3-Oct-05, I, Hard , Draw: 32

R32 Acasuso, Jose (ARG) 58 7-6(2) 6-3
R16 Santoro, Fabrice (FRA) 80 4-6 6-1 7-6(3)
Q Soderling, Robin (SWE) 43 6-7(6) 6-3 6-4
S Davydenko, Nikolay (RUS) 7 6-1 6-4
W Monfils, Gael (FRA) 45 7-6(7) 6-0

Vienna, Austria
International Series Gold, 10-Oct-05, I, Hard , Draw: 32

R32 Calleri, Agustin (ARG) 61 6-4 6-3
R16 Haas, Tommy (GER) 40 6-3 6-4
Q Gonzalez, Fernando (CHI) 20 6-3 7-5
S Robredo, Tommy (ESP) 18 7-6(5) 6-4
W Ferrero, Juan Carlos (ESP) 22 6-2 6-4 7-6(5)

ATP Masters Series Madrid, Spain
Tennis Masters Series, 17-Oct-05, I, Hard , Draw: 48

R64 Bye, () N/A
R32 Martin, Alberto (ESP) 54 6-3 7-6(7)
R16 Rochus, Olivier (BEL) 24 6-4 6-4
Q Gonzalez, Fernando (CHI) 19 4-6 7-6(2) 6-4
S Nalbandian, David (ARG) 9 6-3 3-6 6-3
F Nadal, Rafael (ESP) 2 6-3 6-2 3-6 4-6 6-7(3)

ATP Masters Series Paris, France
Tennis Masters Series, 31-Oct-05, I, Carpet , Draw: 48

R64 Bye, () 0
R32 Blake, James (USA) 24 6-3 6-4
R16 Johansson, Thomas (SWE) 15 6-3 7-6(4)
Q Robredo, Tommy (ESP) 21 7-6(6) 3-6 6-1
S Roddick, Andy (USA) 3 6-3 7-5
F Berdych, Tomas (CZE) 50 3-6 4-6 6-3 6-4 4-6

ALL that in just one month! :eek:

VERY tough draws, don't you think? (he almost deserved easier draw here in RG) ;)

athina7
06-07-2006, 07:03 PM
I don't feel that we presently have a "big 4" as we did with Roger, Andy, Lleyton and Marat. I feel we have a "Big 2": Roger and Rafa.
Yes, that's how I feel too.

jenanun
06-07-2006, 07:27 PM

agree

Golfnduck
06-07-2006, 07:32 PM
I miss that big 4 too :sad: I feel like there was good competition between them. I hope Marat and Andy get back in form, I think Lleyton is finding his form again.

robinhood
06-07-2006, 07:46 PM
I miss the old Big Four, too!!!! :bigcry:

Right now I think the ATP has the Big Two like Mangoes said, and the last two spots are up for grabs. (Or do they even need to fill those spots?)
Nalbandian and especially Ljubicic need to win bigger matches more consistently for a merit.

Yergeht Fladnag
06-07-2006, 08:00 PM
I miss that big 4 too :sad: I feel like there was good competition between them. I hope Marat and Andy get back in form, I think Lleyton is finding his form again.
Hewitt and Roddick won Grand Slams, sure. But that was before Roger's era... And the Claycourt King was just a kid then. :)

My point is - they couldn't do that these days. Even if they are at their best they wouldn't have more chance against Fedex and Nadal than David or Ivan.

In fact, I think Ivan is better player than Andy and David is better than Lleyton. Roger is just too good these days. ;)

Golfnduck
06-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Hewitt and Roddick won Grand Slams, sure. But that was before Roger's era... And the Claycourt King was just a kid then. :)

My point is - they couldn't do that these days. Even if they are at their best they wouldn't have more chance against Fedex and Nadal than David or Ivan.

In fact, I think Ivan is better player than Andy and David is better than Lleyton. Roger is just too good these days. ;)
I disagree with you. Andy, Marat, and Lleyton at their best could beat Ivan. I don't think we have seen the best from David yet. The competition was a much higher leave between the other BIG 4. Marat def. Roger at AO, Andy def. Roger in Canada.

oneandonlyhsn
06-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I disagree with you. Andy, Marat, and Lleyton at their best could beat Ivan. I don't think we have seen the best from David yet. The competition was a much higher leave between the other BIG 4. Marat def. Roger at AO, Andy def. Roger in Canada.

But that was 2003 a long time ago, Ljubicic and Nalbandian werent the force they are back then, and Roger has become a lot tougher mentally too. I want Andy to find his form again but I think even if he does, the way Ljubo and Nalby are playing right now he will still have a hard time against them.

Having said that I so desperately want Andy and Lleyton to get back to their winning ways. Sadly I just dont see Marat being able to get back to his early 2005 form again :sad:

Broomie
06-07-2006, 08:32 PM
I think if you look at the bigger picture it was more competitive because these were guys who had consistent results in slams (exept for marat whom one cannot reasonably associate with consistent). They always reached the big stage and were there at the most important times. Nalby often has minor injuries but he still manages to be there, and Ljubicic is having his best ever showing in a GS: a semi final.
And in terms of matchups too. Except for Roger, who beats everybody, the others had hard matches with one another. I don't feel like that right now. Feels like they are there because nobody else is, not because they achieved anything special IMO.

Even if the others wouldn't win more, I could'nt be firm on that, I still think there would be more drama about it. Ljubicic is in a semi final, and basically, nobody in the world cares, except for some tennis fans. But even my grandma knows Nadal is in the SF, and not because I told her :) And also, I don't have the feeling that even in his wildest dreams Ivan doesn't think he can beat Roger. Marat and Lleyton, may be wrong about it, but I think they have that faith, that maybe a guy like ljubicic is lacking. I don't know.

All that blabla just to say I miss some "BIG" 4 too. Right now, just a big 2.

Yergeht Fladnag
06-07-2006, 08:37 PM
I disagree with you. Andy, Marat, and Lleyton at their best could beat Ivan.
Of course. But Ivan also proved he can beat them too. 2-2 with Marat and 3-5 with Andy (first and last two matches).

But my point was - 2004-2006 Federer is much better than 2002-2003 Federer, when Roddick and Hewitt got their titles. Safin's 2005 AO is an exception. Exceptions do happen - but not too often. ;)

blosson
06-07-2006, 08:37 PM

Better in what way? Andy and Lleyton have achieved more in their careers each than David and Ivan put together. :confused:

Comparing players in different phases of their career can be tricky and subjective. You could say player B at their best could never beat player A now, however player B beat player A many times before a couple of years ago. Maybe in a couple of years time, player B would be better than player A. Who knows?

Broomie
06-07-2006, 08:42 PM
But that was 2003 a long time ago, Ljubicic and Nalbandian werent the force they are back then, and Roger has become a lot tougher mentally too. I want Andy to find his form again but I think even if he does, the way Ljubo and Nalby are playing right now he will still have a hard time against them.

Having said that I so desperately want Andy and Lleyton to get back to their winning ways. Sadly I just dont see Marat being able to get back to his early 2005 form again :sad:
Yes but at least they would manage to win anything Roger and Rafa do not. Like TMS Paris last year. I couldn't believe Ivan lost that one. His best surface!
And Rafa would have some competition too! Roger would still be above sure, but what about Rafa? I think Roger's issue with Rafa is more mental. But Lleyton for ex knows how to handle him. Rafa wouldn't win that much either. You also have to take that into account.

I think Ivan and David aren't YET as good as the former big 4 in terms of important events and matches. But sure, things wouldn't be easy for the former big 4 as well.

Dusk Soldier
06-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Of course. But Ivan also proved he can beat them too. 2-2 with Marat and 3-5 with Andy (first and last two matches).

But my point was - 2004-2006 Federer is much better than 2002-2003 Federer, when Roddick and Hewitt got their titles. Safin's 2005 AO is an exception. Exceptions do happen - but not too often. ;)
But Ivan and Nalbandian were playing back then too. Where are their slams, and former no. 1 rankings? :shrug:

oneandonlyhsn
06-07-2006, 09:54 PM
But Ivan and Nalbandian were playing back then too. Where are their slams, and former no. 1 rankings? :shrug:

Ivan is a late bloomer, and give Nalby time I think he will win 1. Maybe RG 2006 ;)

almouchie
06-07-2006, 10:11 PM
record justifies their ranking
pretty simple

Nalbandian!!!
06-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Vamos David !!!!

the last pic

mangoes
06-07-2006, 10:41 PM

Ok, I had to shake my head for a second............David is NOT a better player than Lleyton. Lleyton may be a bit rusty these days, but one thing I think most of us realized during RG is that it seems like he is beginning to return to form.

My thread isn't about attacking any player, I'm merely sharing an opinion. I have respect for Ljubicic's efforts in 05 to get his ranking up into the top 10 and then into the top 5. My issue with him is that, on the big stages.....example Paris..........he could not close the deal. Lleyton, Andy and Marat would not reach the final of Paris and fail to close the deal.

As for Nalbandian.........I don't exactly see him as a No. 3 that worked his butt off to reach that position. He got into the Master's Cup by default..........and not even as the first default participant. Many of the gentlemen were ill thereby leaving a weak field. What happened? He won the Master's cup and suddenly he is no. 4 in the world.............Definitely not the record typical of Lleyton, Andy, and Marat.

In tennis there is the "BIG 2": Roger & Rafa............and then there is Nalbandian and Ljubicic.

marti_228
06-07-2006, 11:21 PM
1) Hewitt wasn't there because his wife was about to give birth.
2) Admit that Nalbandian is the 3rd best player nowadays, he reached SF in AO and now here at RG at least.
3) Ljubicic has shown that he is a great player too.
4) We`re talking about the present, not about 2 years ago.