Pedro Sousa (POR) def Donald Young (USA) (2) 2-6 6-2 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Pedro Sousa (POR) def Donald Young (USA) (2) 2-6 6-2 6-4

Chris Seahorse
06-06-2006, 01:12 PM
If not for the kid's arrogance one might almost start to feel sorry for him.

Jim Jones
06-06-2006, 01:29 PM
If not for the kid's arrogance one might almost start to feel sorry for him.
Young can still play in the junior French Open next year so maybe he can at least make it to the quarters and then he will have made it to at least the quarters of each Grand Slam.

Scotso
06-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Didn't he say after a 0-6 0-6 loss in pros, that he can still go back to juniors and beat them all by that scoreline?

Hmm.

alfonsojose
06-06-2006, 01:34 PM
:tape: :haha: :haha:

Melvins
06-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Great win, Sousa! :worship: :bounce: :clap2: :bigclap: :woohoo: :banana: :rocker: :crazy: :aparty:

Andre♥
06-06-2006, 01:54 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Viken01
06-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Didn't he say after a 0-6 0-6 loss in pros, that he can still go back to juniors and beat them all by that scoreline?

Hmm.

:haha:

sssss
06-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Frankly, I like Donald Young even though he has not won much. He seems to be a very friendly, jolly and nice guy in spite of being so young. I like his cool attitude and smiling face which is absent in players like Nadal who is always hot, ferocious and brash inspite of being highly successful. I always like nice people irrespective of their success.

Rosa Luxembourg
06-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Frankly, I like Donald Young even though he has not won much. He seems to be a very friendly, jolly and nice guy in spite of being so young. I like his cool attitude and smiling face which is absent in players like Nadal who is always hot, ferocious and brash inspite of being highly successful. I always like nice people irrespective of their success.

I guess, you have never seen him in person. He behaves like diva and is encouraged by 5 parents, and 3 other people (hitting partners? coaches?) who never leave him alone (not even for a minute).

I'm happy he lost to some unknown junior. Maybe it'll teach him a thing or two.

Johnny Groove
06-06-2006, 02:24 PM
:haha: donald young is such a joke

"I can beat kids as bad as i got beat today"

:haha:

sssss
06-06-2006, 02:35 PM
I saw his image in his profile in the atptennis.com. He appeared to be a very friendly person to me and had a nice smile. On seeing his picture, I really liked him. I really like such friendly people very much after watching another great teenager Nadal who always seems to be rude and unfriendly. I would love to see Young come up to be a future Nadal.

Rosa Luxembourg
06-06-2006, 02:37 PM
I saw his image in his profile in the atptennis.com. He appeared to be a very friendly person to me and had a nice smile. On seeing his picture, I really liked him. I really like such friendly people very much after watching another great teenager Nadal who always seems to be rude and unfriendly. I would love to see Young come up to be a future Nadal.

And that's what you base your judgement on? wow. just wow.

Chloe le Bopper
06-06-2006, 03:32 PM
I find it kind of sad that people are so desperate to bash the kid :shrug:

Godiva
06-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Without a certain measure of arrogance you can't make it to the top in the cutthroat world of pro tennis. Why people have such a problem with this, especially with such a young kid who has achieved what he has in the Juniors is beyond me. Guess he just needs to hang his head and say oh woe is me. What a fine formula for success eh. Bash away then folks. It's the easiest thing for some of us to do.

Andre♥
06-06-2006, 03:53 PM
By the way, Pedro's worst surface is clay...

celia
06-06-2006, 03:58 PM
i feel bad for the kid. cut him some slack -- he's still young and he believes what his handlers are telling him. give him time -- he will learn.

croat123
06-06-2006, 04:16 PM
D.Y. ... out

:bounce: he had this coming though. this isn't a case of the usta pushing him too much, it's him not respecting the game and his opponents.

celia
06-06-2006, 04:20 PM
D.Y. ... out

:bounce: he had this coming though. this isn't a case of the usta pushing him too much, it's him not respecting the game and his opponents.
gee, how old is he now???? you'd swear the kid was 25 that way you guys keep harping on his attitude. cripes.

croat123
06-06-2006, 04:21 PM
have u ever seen him play?

he lost his doubles too btw :devil:

uglyamerican
06-06-2006, 04:21 PM
I find it kind of sad that people are so desperate to bash the kid :shrug:

I'm starting to feel quite sad for him now. You can't blame him personally for all the mis-management, and mis-coaching, and way too early hype.

celia
06-06-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm starting to feel quite sad for him now. You can't blame him personally for all the mis-management, and mis-coaching, and way too early hype.
:worship:

can you imagine how shitty he must be feeling, no matter what he says?

uglyamerican
06-06-2006, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=croat123]this isn't a case of the usta pushing him too muchQUOTE]

No, it's a case of IMG trying to squeeze as much cash out of his "famousness" as quickly as possible. If Donald ever needs some money he should sue IMG. The way he's treated, who would ever want to sign with IMG?

mangoes
06-06-2006, 04:24 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: If only Young can learn a couple things from Rafa.........one of them humility....

croat123
06-06-2006, 04:36 PM
and he's not a cocky bastard? the dude screams out "D Y" whenver he hits a winner :o

PamposCypriot
06-06-2006, 04:45 PM
And just when i saw the topic i said... Good job Donald boy, at least you make it to RG QF. Time to shut up some mouths... Then i realise its JUNIOR French Open... wtf :worship: :worship: :worship:

What a looser

hahaha

almouchie
06-06-2006, 05:00 PM
he has been under soo much attention it has affected him in a bad way
he has yet to achieve any substantial results
nevertheless he is expected to the next big thing in america
let him earn it first
it must have gotten to his head as well

jole
06-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Hopefully Thiemo De Bakker wins the title. :)

Leo
06-06-2006, 05:24 PM
:lol: That's actually hilarious. Donald got what he deserved.

Leo
06-06-2006, 05:26 PM
gee, how old is he now???? you'd swear the kid was 25 that way you guys keep harping on his attitude. cripes.

I don't think age is an excuse. There are plenty of kids younger than him who know the values of humility and grasciousness.

oneandonlyhsn
06-06-2006, 06:01 PM
:haha: http://yelims4.free.fr/MDR/MDR99.gif maybe this will be a wake-up call for the mighty Young

juanpablo18
06-06-2006, 06:10 PM
but donald beat Ricardo Urzua, a chilean that play really well in clay!
I think that donald young will be a great player in the future...
Podlipnick and urzua lose U___U
but congrats to Urzua for win in qualys, and win his first match in roland garros juniors!

and Podlipnick, too he is playing pretty well in dobles! So chile has a good tennis future, at same as USA! with donald young! Good Luck!

vincayou
06-06-2006, 06:14 PM
I think that this guy will come good in the end. If all this can teach him some humility, good for him.

Nathaliia
06-06-2006, 06:17 PM
He is the wild-carded version of Xristos and Myspace.com is his MTF, but I still pity him.

Scotso
06-06-2006, 06:47 PM

But you can blame him for the things that come out of his mouth.

smucav
06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Steve Tignor of Tennis magazine had some funny comments about Young & the other junior action he saw Monday:

http://66.232.148.140/blogs/thewrap/entry.asp?ENTRY_ID=25811:00 A.M.: Court 8
The side courts are filled with juniors at this point. I watch a little of Julia Cohen, the highest U.S. girls’ seed (No. 12) and the only American girl left. She wins easily. One oddity is her two-handed backhand, which she hits with a full roundhouse backswing, like a clay-courter’s forehand.

11:15 A.M.: Court 14
Next on the junior trail is the much-maligned Donald Young. Remember him? He’s in control today, hitting with more topspin than he once did—watching Nadal, perhaps? Young, the No. 2 seed here, has a great game to watch—he can hit short hops, drops, stick volleys, and his serve is getting better. But the growth spurt everyone’s waiting for has still not arrived. It might be time to think about steroids.

12:00 P.M.: Court 16
Young’s size disadvantage becomes clear when I see the No. 1 boys’ seed, Thiemo de Bakker of the Netherlands. He’s well over 6 feet tall and has a brutish game. He can hit lethal flat, slice, and kick serves, and he’s got a hammer of a two-handed backhand. His forehand has too much flicky topspin for my liking, though. Time to see Dr. Lansdorp.

Two things disturb me about the De Bakker match. First, he’s already got the Nadal disease that says you must go to the towel after every point. De Bakker even uses the air face-wipe, which is now the universal sign for, “Fetch me my towel.” I’ll accept this kingly behavior from a pro (I don’t really have a choice), but from a junior?

It’s not just him, though. After losing the first set, De Bakker’s opponent takes a bathroom break. I can’t remember anyone needing to go to the bathroom during a match that I’ve played. The kids are using these breaks as gamesmanship, just like the pros.

So what happens when he comes back a good five minutes later? They play one point and De Bakker motions for the towel!

scoobs
06-06-2006, 07:16 PM
I feel desperately sorry for this kid, who has apparently got a great tennis game and natural flair but he is being mismanaged into oblivion by people who see $$$ and not his welfare.

At his age I blame his parents for whatever comes out of his mouth because it seems to me he's been fed a diet of overconfidence and overexpectation from the idiots around him who are busy slaughtering the goose than can lay the golden eggs.

I really hope his career is able to get on an even keel in the next few years, then take off, because it's already got off to a fairly rocky start and it may take a long time to recover from the crap he's had to deal with so far.

Tennis Fool
06-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Where are these words of "overconfidence" coming from :confused: I've posted threads where he was very gracious and -surprised!- no one responded.

However, when he loses badly then -voila!- everyone and their dog Toto has something to sneer.

This thread consists of mostly Bandwagon Haters who have no other reason to post other than they've "heard" DY is arrogant.

tennischick
06-06-2006, 09:19 PM
I don't think age is an excuse. There are plenty of kids younger than him who know the values of humility and grasciousness.
and i'm sure that there are others that are worse.

Federer is the first to talk about how awful he was as a kid, that he was forever breaking rackets and losing his temper, that his father once pushed his face into a snowbank because he got so angry at Roger's behavior.

guess what? he grew out of it.

i think folks need to step to hell back and give Donald the space to make his own mistakes and to grow up. he's already saddled with two idiots for parents so it's probably gonna take him a tad longer. if he's still a jerk in a few years, go ahead and bash him. i might even join you. but for now, i wish you jealous haters all would just STFU.

Scotso
06-07-2006, 01:47 AM
Federer is still a little arrogant. :p

Pea
06-07-2006, 02:21 AM
Federer is still a little arrogant. :p

But he has the right to.:p Young doesn't.:angel:

sssss
06-07-2006, 03:02 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: If only Young can learn a couple things from Rafa.........one of them humility....

But Young is a much more friendlier and cooler person than Rafa who is always hot. And what wrong did Young do to say that he is not humble? Some people openly speak out their mind and some people don't and instead speak safe and modest. Even Rafa knows very well in his mind that no one can beat him on clay and he is too good for anyone and RG is a lock for him. This is an open fact which everyone knows. But the only thing is he doesn't speak that out openly in order to sound modest unlike some other men.

zicofirol
06-07-2006, 03:38 AM
But Young is a much more friendlier and cooler person than Rafa who is always hot. And what wrong did Young do to say that he is not humble? Some people openly speak out their mind and some people don't and instead speak safe and modest. Even Rafa knows very well in his mind that no one can beat him on clay and he is too good for anyone and RG is a lock for him. This is an open fact which everyone knows. But the only thing is he doesn't speak that out openly in order to sound modest unlike some other men.

How do you even know this if you are basing yorue opinion on a picture? you dont even know him, lmao.

Alot of Donald's Young attitued comes from his parents and his management team who must bombard him 24/7 saying how great he is, but that still doesnt take away from the fact that he is an ahole, a tennager, but still an ahole so Its obvious that people are not going to like him. Plus the stupid things he says like how he "dominated" junior tennis obviously do not help him.

Pea
06-07-2006, 03:41 AM

Perhaps seeing his myspace page can give you a better perspective.:o

sssss
06-07-2006, 04:26 AM
From my experience, How a person conducts himself to the media and the outside world is never indicative of his true nature. That depends on how smartly a person handles the press and society and his ability to control his emotions and anxiety. I remember one of my school mates who appeared to be outwardly nice, well mannered and well behaved and won other's opinion and friendship but frankly at the backside, he used to play a lot of cunning tricks, double games and back stabbing that I have often seen him do and not many of my school mates were aware of that. I also remember some other guys who are not good at conducting themselves before the public and who ended up with some bad image in the public eye but are really very helpful and nice. So we can never judge anybody from these media interviews and what they say to the press. So I feel Donald Young may be a nice guy in reality and not arrogant as you say.

NYCtennisfan
06-07-2006, 05:33 AM
The kid is 16 years old. He he acted immaturely and said things he probably shouldn't? Yes, but that's what kids do. This is a sad case of many different groups with many different interests wanting/hoping/praying that they can get along for the Donald Young ride.

AlexNYR
06-07-2006, 06:40 AM
somebody sold us a bill of goods regarding donald young it seems

Jim Jones
06-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Hopefully Thiemo De Bakker wins the title. :)
don't count out the Japanese guy. He made it to the finals at Rome for the juniors and easily beat sidorenko who is aussie champion and who almost qualified for French Open main draw.

smucav
06-07-2006, 08:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french06/news/story?page=06frenchnotebook10Young and restless to play on ATP Tour
ESPN.com news services

NO. 3 YOUNG LOSES IN THIRD ROUND
By Greg Garber, ESPN.com

PARIS -- On the first day of this French Open, Donald Young woke up at 5 a.m. in Atlanta and watched ESPN's telecast from Roland Garros.

"Roger Federer is the best," Young said on Monday. "And I like Rafael Nadal -- he's a lefty like me."

Young, who turns 17 next month, has been widely advertised as the Next Big Thing in American tennis. He is on the Nike payroll and is managed by IMG. Can he see himself up there with those guys someday?

"Hopefully, in a couple of years down the road," Young said.

The road, at least at this early stage, has been pitted and rough -- very rough. He was the world's No. 1-ranked junior in 2005, but his attempt to leap from juniors to ATP-level matches has been thwarted.

Young, the No. 2-seeded player in the junior boys draw, was knocked out of the tournament on Tuesday. He lost to unseeded Pedro Sousa of Portugal in the third round, 6-2, 2-6, 4-6.

The loss underlined Young's recent struggles. Young's parents and handlers had hoped he would be playing exclusively in professional events by now, but he has had little success.

Young is 0-9 in ATP-level matches and has lost all 19 sets. His ranking is currently No. 592.

At the Nasdaq-100 Open in Key Biscayne, Fla., in March, Young lost 6-0, 6-0 to Argentine Carlos Berlocq.

While Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James and golfer Michele Wie are physically equipped to compete at the highest level, Young still has some growing to do. He's nearly 6-foot but weighs only 150 pounds. He has a terrific and varied game, but he is essentially a thin counter-puncher with no dangerous weapons. The juniors he was beating two years ago have matured physically and his results have suffered.

"Sometimes people forget that he will grow," said his father, Donald Young Sr. "Let's judge him when he's 17, 18 or 19."

Young said he expects to play in the junior tournaments at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. He said he would happily accept wild cards into hardcourt tournaments this summer in United States, if they are offered.

"I like the [ATP] tournaments," he said, "even though I haven't won one. I like playing against the guys."

jole
06-07-2006, 08:16 PM
He said he would happily accept wild cards into hardcourt tournaments this summer in United States, if they are offered.

I bet he would! :p

Pea
06-07-2006, 08:54 PM
"I like the [ATP] tournaments," he said, "even though I haven't won one. I like playing against the guys."

You haven't even won a match let alone a tourney.:retard:

Scotso
06-07-2006, 09:06 PM

lol, that was an odd comment to make :confused:

Andre♥
06-07-2006, 09:18 PM
The most funny thing is that after 4 pages of this thread nobody even asked how good is Sousa...

He is very talented and his father is a great coach. He is equally good in clay and hardcourt. And unlike Young, he is very humble but has enough motivation to always try to go through in a tournament! :)

Johnny Groove
06-07-2006, 09:22 PM

he hasnt even won a set!

mojo37_12
06-08-2006, 03:51 AM
I was able to watch Pedro Sousa in the Italian Championships in Milan a week before the French Open. He was pretty good but I have to agree clay is his worst surface. He didn't make the semis i think... But Young lost in the first round of the same tournament a year before... so he just probably sucks on clay.