Backwards caps… [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Backwards caps…

Howard
06-06-2006, 12:19 AM
I don’t know who started this trend - someone suggested Ivan Lendl - but isn’t it enough already? It seems to be (you should pardon the expression) old hat by now.

Hell, I even saw Martina Navratilova wearing one, and when fifty-year-old gay women pick up on a fashion trend, you know it’s time to move on. Personally, I just don’t see that it’s either cool or stylish, and it certainly hasn’t much utilitarian value.

Okay, I get that off my chest.

One more thing…I hope Djokovic loses. I can’t stand to see him bounce the damned ball ten or fifteen times before he serves. If I were the umpire I’d probably scream, “For crying out loud, stop bouncing the fucking ball and serve.”

Okay, that’s all.

jole
06-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Backwards caps look great on some people, and horrendous on others. Martina needs to give it up.

Umm, I do agree Djokovic bounces the ball a lot, but it could be worse. Monfils' victory dance after winning every above average point is a bit much. :D

onewoman74
06-06-2006, 12:56 AM
Haas is wearing the ugliest hat on the tour right now...that half black/half red baseball cap. How ugly is that cap?

Phunkadelicious
06-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Its just a hat, but backwards. Get over it.

Howard
06-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Its just a hat, but backwards. Get over it.It's just a thread about a cap. You get over it.

Phunkadelicious
06-06-2006, 01:02 AM
It's just a thread about a cap. You get over it.
Its just a post about a thread about a cap. You get over it.

Socket
06-06-2006, 01:05 AM
I don't recall Lendl ever wearing a baseball cap backwards. He did wear a "French Legion" hat with the neck protector.

Ball caps serve their purpose, keeping hair and sweat out of the player's eyes and protecting their head from the sun. Who cares if it's backwards or not.

admiralpye
06-06-2006, 01:30 AM
I don't like the backwards baseball cap as well. It's much like this trend right now of wearing your shirt collar deliberately upturned. In tennis I especially don't see the point; isn't the visor supposed to protect your eyes and face from the sun? thought that was the whole point.

Djokovic probably gets in the zone by bouncing that ball to death...

njnetswill
06-06-2006, 02:00 AM
I always thought the backwards cap had died out in mainstream fashion. now it is trucker hats tilted slightly to one side. At least in the USA. :o

Pigpen Stinks
06-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Although most probably wear it that way because they think it looks cool, there is a practical reason also. Depending on the fit of the hat and/or the weather conditions, wearing it backwards helps prevent the possibility of it falling off in the middle of the point. The thrust involved on the serve, in particular, can cause dislodging. Combine that with a slight gust of wind, and it can cause you to lose your head.

Johnny Groove
06-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Although most probably wear it that way because they think it looks cool, there is a practical reason also. Depending on the fit of the hat and/or the weather conditions, wearing it backwards helps prevent the possibility of it falling off in the middle of the point. The thrust involved on the serve, in particular, can cause dislodging. Combine that with a slight gust of wind, and it can cause you to lose your head.

I would laugh so hard if someone's hat flew off in mid-serve :haha:

uglyamerican
06-06-2006, 04:37 PM
It shows their age, bigtime. Nobody wears a backwards hat on the street, anymore. Might as well play tennis in a Spin Doctors t-shirt you bought at the concert.

Fumus
06-06-2006, 04:53 PM
The history of the backwards cap...

Actually the backwards cap is a baseball thing. The hat, that many players in sports wear today originate from the baseball cap which was designed at the turn of the century to block the sun out of the players eyes in the American born sport of Baseball. http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/hofer_bios/images/ruth_babe_4.jpg

The unique style of the brim and the cap are completely Baseball's own creation. As baseball evolved the caps evolved too, and to protect players from balls thrown over 90mphs players started to wear helmets.
http://www2.jsonline.com/sports/brew/image/2001/oct/chip1012.jpg

One of players that needed a helmet the most was the catcher, however because the catcher wears a facemask to protect his face from a errant pitch or the swing of a bat, the helmet with brim attached had to be turned backwards. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/tekfiend33/making%20a%20point/jorge_posada_jd.jpg

Thus, the backwards cap was born, and ever since baseball fans, sports fans, and players alike have been wearing them that way. Who knows when exactly the necessity of having a backwards cap become in vogue and why it was considered stylish, or who started doing it first but it was born in baseball.
http://ww2.sport24.com/photos/1148906867.jpg

Chris Seahorse
06-06-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm pretty sure the guy who started the trend in tennis was Marc-Kevin Goellner.

uNIVERSE mAN
06-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Its just a post about a thread about a cap. You get over it.

both of you get over it.

LleytonMonfils
06-06-2006, 05:30 PM
ginepri wears a backwards cap and so does lleyton hewitt... they make it look good

jole
06-06-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty sure the guy who started the trend in tennis was Marc-Kevin Goellner.

Big Marc-Kevin. I prefer his serve over his backwards cap. :p

marifline
06-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Love it on the french players especially PHM

wally1
06-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Not as irritating as the increasing trend of spitting on the court. Monfils seemed to be doing it between every point the other day.

stebs
06-06-2006, 08:40 PM
I have to wear a cap backwards to keep the hair out my eyes. It doesn't look good but it looks better than a hair band would. My hair isn't that long but it just slightly impedes my vision sometimes. (I must get a hair cut). So it can be put to practical use no matter how it looks.

KoOlMaNsEaN
06-06-2006, 08:59 PM
I think they and I wear my hat backwards is to keep the hair out of my face while still having great vision.

almouchie
06-06-2006, 09:07 PM
i was about to say post some more pictures

SwissMister1
06-07-2006, 01:36 AM
I don't recall Lendl ever wearing a baseball cap backwards. He did wear a "French Legion" hat with the neck protector.

And that was a great look :worship:

I wear the same UNC hat backwards every time I play - I'm just used to it I guess - although its beat up from constantly washing it :lol:

Socket
06-07-2006, 03:05 AM
And that was a great look :worship:

I wear the same UNC hat backwards every time I play - I'm just used to it I guess - although its beat up from constantly washing it :lol:
I think Lendl thought he looked military in it -- trying to psyche his opponents into thinking he might shoot them if they dared to break him. :lol:

sammy2
06-07-2006, 06:04 AM
Hewitt has always worn a backwards cap playing - (9years) but not off the court. You will notice that his are made especially for him and are different from the normal cap. (Nike made them too for him) - take a look at where the Yonex logo is in the photos and you will see. Hewitt was given a lot of heat back when he started wearing them on court - Now every second player is doing it. It keeps your hair off the face.

sammy2
06-07-2006, 06:05 AM
Oh - and another thing - the back of the neck is also well protected wearing a cap this way.

sammy2
06-07-2006, 06:15 AM
Hewitt's cap