Which top AO seed will fall first? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which top AO seed will fall first?

Tennis Fool
01-16-2004, 04:50 AM
Roddick, Federer, Ferrero, Coria. None of these top seeds have had stellar results going into Monday. Which one will drop out first, and why?

Fedex
01-16-2004, 04:53 AM
Should of made this a poll. Unfortunatly, if Roger plays the way he's been playing he will fall 1st :(

Fedex
01-16-2004, 04:54 AM
Oh, sorry, the poll hadnt downloaded itself yet ;)

Tennis Fool
01-16-2004, 04:54 AM
I did ;)

WyverN
01-16-2004, 04:56 AM
Well Federer got it easy until 4th round and even then I expect him to beat Hewitt

Roddick should go deep into the tournament

Ferrero as he can lose to just about anyone at the moment

CooCooCachoo
01-16-2004, 04:56 AM
IF he is going to play, I think Guillermo will be out first. He is not in a good shape, physically speaking. Out of those players, I also hope he'll be out first, since I like him the least.

oxy
01-16-2004, 04:57 AM
well my choice is ferrero...cos i do not want to jinx him by sayin that he will win AO!!!

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 04:59 AM
ummmm

you mean a top seed or any seed?

well let's see.... first round matches.....

Andy could lose (to Gonzalez), Massu could lose (to Nieminen), Fish could lose (to Karlovic), Moya could lose (to Blake), Spadea could lose (to Enqvist), Grosjean could lose (to Youzhny), Robredo could lose (to Gaudio), Poo could lose (to Johansson), and many more.....and that's just the first round...

as for the TOP seeds? Well Andy has a very tough 1st and seeded 3rd round opponent (Dent gives him problems and Gonzo has too), Fed obviously has Bjorkman then one of various troublemakers for him, Ferrero kind of has an easy draw but since he hasn't won an ATP/ITF match since October I'd say it's hard to predict, and Andre well.... I just don't see him being the first seed to lose lol

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 05:01 AM
hey you edited your post after I did all that work lol...

I'd say probably Coria. spotty healthy and potentially tough first-round opponent. But Andy could easily go out in 1st or 3rd rnd.

Chloe le Bopper
01-16-2004, 06:09 AM
All you people voting for Ferrero - have you seen his draw? Do you really think that he's going to lose to Montanes? Come on!

I voted for Coria, because his fitness is in question, and he has a tougher draw than Ferrero.

I think that Fed will go down to Hewitt, though.

CooCooCachoo
01-16-2004, 06:11 AM
I think that Fed will go down to Hewitt, though.

Seriously? There is no chance that that will happen! Federer should beat Hewitt anytime. Well I hope he will, anyway :)

Chloe le Bopper
01-16-2004, 06:16 AM
Seriously? There is no chance that that will happen! Federer should beat Hewitt anytime. Well I hope he will, anyway :)
I think that Federer has a better game... I just don't think that it really matters if Hewitt is hungry and motivated. Remember what happened in Davis Cup? :(

CooCooCachoo
01-16-2004, 06:25 AM
Actually, I don't remember lol. I must be trying to ban it from my thoughts. Every win of Hewitt over Federer is unfair, in my opinion ;) Hehe I really hope that Roger will be in better shape at the start of the AO, so that he can beat Lleyton. Go Roger!

lsy
01-16-2004, 06:29 AM
I think that Federer has a better game... I just don't think that it really matters if Hewitt is hungry and motivated. Remember what happened in Davis Cup? :(

ohhhh.....plssss, stop reminding me of that match :banghead: :fiery:

yanchr
01-16-2004, 06:35 AM
I see a possibility of Andy's out 1st round, but if he's not, he will go far.
Maybe Coria for his physical part and Ferrero for his poor record now.
Roger is in no danger until 4th round. Of course he should beat Hewitt if it's him stands in the way. But I'm also doubting about it. Yes, go Roger!

J. Corwin
01-16-2004, 06:54 AM
Probably Coria because of his health status and Saulnier is a tough opponent for a first round.

Vass
01-16-2004, 07:02 AM
I don't know who'll fall firts, but....
I can't wait to see another Roddick vs. Younes!

Frooty_Bazooty
01-16-2004, 07:11 AM
i think roddick will go out in the third round to dent so i voted for him. but that is assuming that coria is in full health

JeLuliA88
01-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Mostly likely Coria, b/c physically he's not in great shape. As for Roddick, if he doesn't play well against Gonzalez, he will lose. I can't really see Ferrero or Federer losing first round, i seriously don't think that albert montanes has the game to beat Juan carlos and Federer wouldn't be in much trouble till the fourth round where he could face hewitt.

Frooty_Bazooty
01-16-2004, 07:15 AM
yes, ive just seen that coria is playing saulnier first, then probably arazi second so i think he will be out first

undomiele
01-16-2004, 07:37 AM
None of them are going to win the AO at all I think (sadly). Its Andres for the taking since he definitely has the easiest draw. Out of pure maliciousness I voted for Andy Roddick :devil: to go out first but frankly it could be either one of the ones listed above. I do however believe that Coria will make it past the first round --he's not as seriously injured as ppl think. From what I understand he bailed out of Heineken as a precaution.

You heard it here first!!! :p

Vass
01-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Lets just hope that Moya will hold on long enough to stop Andre.

allusion
01-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Federer is interesting because he has his very good and quite ordinary days...more decisively than some other players that I know. I guess it's the self belief element that's also sometimes lacking....seeing his form at Kooyong, it has been sort of shaky, and he has told punters not to bet on him. But still, having said that - I don't think he will fall out in the early stages given his talent, but I think that he needs to definitely improve on his current form to reach the later stages.

CooCooCachoo
01-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Considering Coria does indeed have an easy draw; there is no way he is going to lose to Saulnier, I guess I could've picked someone else. But I really think that none of them are likely to be ousted in the first round, so we'll see..

WyverN
01-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Federer tomorrow against Roddick will give a big hint.
I don't really care if Federer wins but I want to see him hitting the ball clearly and keeping the silly errors to a minimum, it is getting a bit to close to the tournament to be working yourself into form.

Spikey_Todd Reid_#1Fan
01-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Costa

tangerine_dream
01-16-2004, 04:08 PM
I can't believe people actually think Roddick's going to go out first before Fed. Roddick's record at AO is better than Fed's. I can't see it happening.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 04:09 PM
but tangy, Andy's earlier draw (1st and 3rd rounds) is harder than Fed's early draw (which doesn't get really hard til 4th round)... so, it sort of makes sense.

tangerine_dream
01-16-2004, 04:17 PM
I know everyone's crapping their pants over Andy drawing Gonzales :eek: but didn't they do the same thing when he was drawn against Henman at the USO? :aplot:

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 04:20 PM
lol tangy yes they did... and I'd rather it that way and so would Andy probably. Like he said, a tough test early on is good...

But if Andy gets past him, and Dent in the 3rd round (assuming Dent gets there), that's when I'm more worried actually.... thinks back to the Memphis pounding... and Taylor's been playing well so far this year. however if Andy gets past Taylor, he has a relatively ok look at the SF whereas the road just gets bumpier and bumpier for Federer with Hewitt, Henman, and David, three of his biggest nemeses all playing the best tennis of their lives.

So, 'tis hard to say, especially since neither of them has shown particularly good form so far in the season.

However, if Andy doesn't win a tiebreak soon none of it is going to matter much b/c he'll be home pretty fast LOL

*Ljubica*
01-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Although I didn't particularly want to do this - I had to vote for Coria on this one. Yes I know his withdrawal from Auckland was mainly precautionary, but he's only played one competitive match since Houston, and there's nothing to beat being sharp and match fit going into a major tournament. As for Andy - guess everyone here knows I'm not an Andy fan, but I really don't see him losing to Gonzalez - he hasn't been playing that well recently and is so unreliable.

Kiara
01-16-2004, 04:42 PM
You can never be sure with Gonzales, he has his spectaular moments, he had a sucky end to 2003 but im looking forward to that match, Andy/Gonzo matches are always a treat and if he gets through there'll be another Dent/Gonzalez match up, yay fun!!!

Shy
01-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Federer has told punters not to bet on him. .
He has said that? Doesn't sound that he believe in himself? Maybe it is part of his master plan?I believe that IF he can get pass Hewitt,he might have a big chance of winning it.IF he get pass the quarter, he might as well win it.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2004, 07:42 PM
I don't think Roger said exactly that, I think it was more of an "I don't understand why they've picked me the favorite" type of thing.....

check the Kooyong press conferences, that's where he said it.

Leo
01-17-2004, 07:47 PM
I voted for Coria because of his injury and potentially difficult draw with some big servers.

Federer most likely won't lose before the fourth round, but since I don't see him getting past the quarterfinals, he could be the one of these four to fall first.

Ferrero has a tough third round ahead of him, if he even feels like winning one match. He's a question mark with his form, as always.

Roddick has a tough draw but I also expect him to go deep.

Agassi vs. Nalbandian/Hewitt in the finals! :p

Fedex
01-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Agassi vs. Nalbandian final?? I dont think Andre would be to keen on that matchup after what david just did to him on his favorite surface ;)

Leo
01-17-2004, 07:53 PM

Except that he's only beaten Hewitt 2 of the 7 times they've played.

Federer will need his Wimbledon/TMC form to even have a chance of surviving his draw, IMO.

Leo
01-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Agassi vs. Nalbandian final?? I dont think Andre would be to keen on that matchup after what david just did to him on his favorite surface ;)

Andre wouldn't be too keen, but I would. :D

Fedex
01-17-2004, 07:59 PM
If he reaches Wimbledon form it is likely he wont drop a SET against any of those players! I dont care about head2head, did you know that Clijsters used to have a great record vs. Justine like 5-1 or someting, but Justine's comeback with style to make it about even. Federer will most definatly beat Hewitt if he has even a shread of Wimbly form!

star
01-17-2004, 09:39 PM
There's that "if." :)

tangerine_dream
01-19-2004, 03:12 AM
Of the Top Ten seeds, it looks like the first casualty to crash out in the first round is ....drum roll....

Rainer Schuettler.

Are you shocked?

Of course not.

Rainer. http://cmw.dailymoviereviews.com/contrib/sarge/Disappointed_anim.gif

Experimentee
01-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Federer has a pretty tough opponent first up, he's drawn Bogomolov, who's in great form, he absolutely smashed his way through the qualifying, hardly losing a game in three matches! Also Alex likes this surface, he did pretty well here last year too. Roger had better be playing well straight away or i wouldnt be surprised if he went home early.

But I voted for Coria bc his physical fitness is in doubt and he has a capable opponent in Saulnier.
I dont see Ferrero losing to anyone in his cakewalk draw even in his current form. Roddick wont lose early, but dont see him gettting past the 4th rd.

Shy
01-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Federer has a pretty tough opponent first up, he's drawn Bogomolov, who's in great form, he absolutely smashed his way through the qualifying, hardly losing a game in three matches! Also Alex likes this surface, he did pretty well here last year too. Roger had better be playing well straight away or i wouldnt be surprised if he went home early.
From all I heard, I won't bet my house on Roger winning the first round easily either especially with his first round history. I don't think that his first round as easily. I hope that he can at least defend his point and be in good form.

Tennis Fool
01-20-2004, 01:34 AM
Well, Coria currently down a set and a break :scared:

Doris Loeffel
01-20-2004, 09:05 AM
and he's the next one to say good bye!! (Coria that is)

Glad Roger got over that qualifer quite in style (was a bit rusty in the first but then he started to show his game.)

Ma. Estefania
01-20-2004, 04:41 PM
So it was Guille.... :sad:

Deboogle!.
01-20-2004, 05:40 PM
looks like the plurality of MTF'ers were right this time.

Crazy_Fool
01-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Well Federer got it easy until 4th round and even then I expect him to beat Hewitt

Is this based on past experiences of the matches these 2 have played or games Federer has played against other players. You sound well arrogant in that post as if Hewitt is just some average player. Federer has more of the gift but Lleyton is more of a winner than Roger will ever be.

Deboogle!.
01-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Ok people are still voting on the poll after one of the choices lost... :scratch:

Sjengster
01-20-2004, 09:27 PM
Someone should change it to "fall next", then...

tangerine_dream
01-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Ferrero and Roddick are neck-and-neck in the poll after Coria.

So who will drop next? JC or A-Rod? Hmm....

Deboogle!.
01-20-2004, 09:50 PM
some people may have confused prediction with wish ;)

allusion
01-20-2004, 10:46 PM
I don't know, but I don't think it's Andy. Then again, JCF's match, though I only saw the first two sets or so, was pretty convincing...something like 10 games to love until his opponent broke his serve (but then JC broke back immediately)...was the first two sets 6-0, 6-1 ?

Leo
01-20-2004, 11:29 PM
I don't know, but I don't think it's Andy. Then again, JCF's match, though I only saw the first two sets or so, was pretty convincing...something like 10 games to love until his opponent broke his serve (but then JC broke back immediately)...was the first two sets 6-0, 6-1 ?

6-0, 6-1, 6-1 was the score. He had no place losing sets to Montanes, let's be honest.

Leo
01-20-2004, 11:31 PM
Ferrero and Roddick are neck-and-neck in the poll after Coria.

So who will drop next? JC or A-Rod? Hmm....

Tough call. Roddick's got a potentially tough third round (versus Dent) and then could definitely lose in the quarters to Safin (or someone else. Ferrero's draw to the fourth round seems to be a cakewalk, but in that round he could possibly lose to Scud or Novak. Federer has got major trouble ahead of him in the fourth round and/or quarters. So it can be any of three.