Gaston's Tennis. The highs, the lows, the on court rantings etc, etc [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gaston's Tennis. The highs, the lows, the on court rantings etc, etc

Action Jackson
06-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Yes, the title is fairly clear, but this doesn't mean that it won't have the potential to confuse some people.

Now the major part of the year is over for Gaston as this is what his whole year is geared around doing well at Roland Garros and the other goal he wants to have is playing some part in a winning Davis Cup team, but that one is a bit problematic at the moment.

He equalled his 2005 result and on the face of what went on before this in the lead up events, this was not a bad performance and lost to a good opponent in Davydenko. In spite of this there were some curious happenings. He defeats Ferrero which he hasn't done on clay for a very long time and did it coming back from breaks down in first 2 sets. Then he loses to PMK who hasn't even come close to getting sets of him the 5 times they have played on clay. From where we was before RG, the 4th round is a good show.

Considering he was feeling so bad during this time of the year, which is his favourite part of the season and he has said that he is mentally tired as he has not had a break for 2 seasons, then it would be silly for him to play Wimbledon.

Why? Well he hasn't been winning matches on clay and he needs to play a lot, so how is he going to win them on grass a surface he hates and also it takes away from the summer clay events which he needs to play very well again at, just to maintain some sort of ranking.

Playing Wimbledon in fact would jeopardise this and he does need the time to prepare some more physically as he will be playing 3 weeks in a row in Gstaad, Stuttgart and Kitz and also mentally as to see what he really wants to do tennis wise. Then stick to that path and don't moan how tough it is, when he has an understanding coach, very good physical trainer, beautiful girlfriend and loving family. As for pressure, it's not like Gaston needs to do it for the money at this point of his career and he should be playing for the right reasons.

He has never done well at the US Open, so take what he can get from there. The Davis Cup is the thing that would keep him going after the US Open, but they have done well without him so far and while he may play a role in the semi final against the Aussies. It is not likely that he would be used in the final unless there were plenty of injuries and there are plenty of other players more capable than Gaston on a fast carpet surface.

All in all, it would be far from tragic if Gaston missed Shanghai and if he doesn't perform well in the summer clay section defending 2 titles and a final in those 3 tournaments, then he can forget about it anyway.

He should stay home, go play golf, hang in a cafe or something, watch Argentina in the World Cup and forget about Wimbledon.

As for what happens after the US Open this could be interesting, if he is no chance for the Masters, then just play a few events like Hewitt did and try and win the DC, then again this is dependant on whether he is a chance to be selected or not.

RogiFan88
06-13-2006, 01:48 AM
Hope Gaston does play Gstaad, as he is the defending champ, so he can get back into the clay and then go and win Stuttgart with his beautiful BH. ;)

Kitz is still around, eh? OK, he can play there also but don't get tired out before Toronto. ;)

Action Jackson
06-13-2006, 06:43 AM
This is the last year for Kitz, before mafioso Tiriac moves the event somewhere else.

Gaston will be playing in Gstaad, unless he has an injury problem.

RogiFan88
06-15-2006, 05:12 PM
This is the last year for Kitz, before mafioso Tiriac moves the event somewhere else.

Gaston will be playing in Gstaad, unless he has an injury problem.

You mean like Transylvania? :p

Action Jackson
08-03-2006, 07:36 AM
You mean like Transylvania? :p

There are rumours that the event could be saved, then again we don't know until next year.

Gaston is going through some tough times at the moment and he knows this. In reality he is there in body but not necessarily spirit and that is not going to get it done and he is cheating himself, if he thinks otherwise and that is the most important thing.

Sure he will play Toronto, Cincy and the US Open and he does have points to defend from Canada last year, but that isn't really relevant at the moment. His opponent yesterday Marach noticed it that he is down and once the other players sense that, then it becomes harder for Gaston as well as they know he is vulnerable and can break him and Gaston himself isn't happy at all.

He says he hasn't had a break in 2 years and that is accurate, but after the US Open would be a good time to take one and find out what he really wants to do and get away from tennis. He might realise that he loves playing the game and will come back and train hard over the off season and be ready to play or he might not.

Primal
08-03-2006, 11:06 AM
There are rumours that the event could be saved, then again we don't know until next year.

Gaston is going through some tough times at the moment and he knows this. In reality he is there in body but not necessarily spirit and that is not going to get it done and he is cheating himself, if he thinks otherwise and that is the most important thing.

Sure he will play Toronto, Cincy and the US Open and he does have points to defend from Canada last year, but that isn't really relevant at the moment. His opponent yesterday Marach noticed it that he is down and once the other players sense that, then it becomes harder for Gaston as well as they know he is vulnerable and can break him and Gaston himself isn't happy at all.

He says he hasn't had a break in 2 years and that is accurate, but after the US Open would be a good time to take one and find out what he really wants to do and get away from tennis.

Logical but disappointing post (hard too see him away from tennis). I don't know much about his private life and don't see him doing anything else. Do you have any ideas about hobbies or preferences?

He might realise that he loves playing the game and will come back and train hard over the off season and be ready to play or he might not.

The only thing is that the break should be short. He might realize that he loves playing when it's too late. (that happens quite often)

Action Jackson
08-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Logical but disappointing post (hard too see him away from tennis). I don't know much about his private life and don't see him doing anything else. Do you have any ideas about hobbies or preferences?

He is even fortunate to be playing at this level, thanks to generous people like Gumy who lent him some money in the early days and his loving family doing what they could to support his initial career. He can't keep playing forever and will have to make these choices at some point.

The only thing is that the break should be short. He might realize that he loves playing when it's too late. (that happens quite often)

He doesn't do well after the US Open usually and Davis Cup is the only thing for him now to the end of the year and in reality he does not deserve to be there and at best as the 4th player. He has no right to be in front of Nalbandian, Acasuso or Calleri on form, not doubting that he wants to be part of the team, but he isn't good enough to be there.

Fortunately he has not had major injuries in his career, but he has been stale and this has clearly shown in his performances for much of the year so far.

Primal
08-03-2006, 11:50 AM
He can't keep playing forever and will have to make these choices at some point.

No one can, unless you are Navratilova.

He doesn't do well after the US Open usually and Davis Cup is the only thing for him now to the end of the year and in reality he does not deserve to be there and at best as the 4th player. He has no right to be in front of Nalbandian, Acasuso or Calleri on form, not doubting that he wants to be part of the team, but he isn't good enough to be there.

Fortunately he has not had major injuries in his career, but he has been stale and this has clearly shown in his performances for much of the year so far.

Agree, I just wanted to say that I wish I could watch him playing
as much as he can perform.
(the lack of motivation and stuff... He reminds me of myself at some points. And I know how hard it is tennis wise, but you have to make the right decision.)

In other words I want to see him happy (preferably on court, but I will not be that selfish).
He has achieved a lot already though.

Action Jackson
08-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Agree, I just wanted to say that I wish I could watch him playing
as much as he can perform.
(the lack of motivation and stuff... He reminds me of myself at some points. And I know how hard it tennis wise, but you have to make the right decision.)

In other words I want to see him happy (preferably on court, but I will not be that selfish).
He has achieved a lot already though.

Well he has his bad moments and he has hardly performed to he level he is capable of consistently. But that is the way he is and he lacks self-belief and something he has to struggle with, the world is not going to end if he misses the centre of the strings by .000000000000000000000000001 of a mm.

That is selfish actually, he needs to think about why he is playing for now. He keeps mentioning he hasn't had a break well he is not making the Masters this year, so there is nothing to worry about in that respect and if he is good enough, then he will be able to bounce back.

justClaudia
08-03-2006, 02:31 PM

He says he hasn't had a break in 2 years and that is accurate, but after the US Open would be a good time to take one and find out what he really wants to do and get away from tennis. He might realise that he loves playing the game and will come back and train hard over the off season and be ready to play or he might not.

I totally agree with this.

He needs to step back, find his priorities and mostly get his head together. Basically I think he needs to find again his passion for Tennis, if is Tennis that he still wants, and I surely hope so.

I think Gaston needs to find some peace of mind, cause it seems to me that he lost it somewhere.

And yesterday's match was just heartbreaking.

I hope he is able to find himself again, cause I really miss a Gaston at 100%.

Action Jackson
08-03-2006, 02:39 PM
2005 was very difficult for him and he managed to make Shanghai and defended his 2004 season very well and this was on the back of relatively poor results in the big 4 clay events, but this year his form hasn't been anywhere apart from a glimpse at Monte Carlo.

He is not like Borg or other guys who can hold it together outwardly and not show what he is thinking. But it is clear to see he is pissed off with how he is playing, mentally frazzled and his opponents see it as well, making the problem worse.

He can go watch Independiente, play golf or something, just take his mind away from tennis and there is that possibility that he might enjoy that too much and not come back, but he is the one who has to live with that decision.

justClaudia
08-03-2006, 02:50 PM
He is not like Borg or other guys who can hold it together outwardly and not show what he is thinking. But it is clear to see he is pissed off with how he is playing, mentally frazzled and his opponents see it as well, making the problem worse.

He can go watch Independiente, play golf or something, just take his mind away from tennis and there is that possibility that he might enjoy that too much and not come back, but he is the one who has to live with that decision.

And yesterday, Marach took advantage by knowing that, that's why it was heartbreaking to me.

He can do that, he can even stay in bed and sleep all day. But something has to be done, and only him has the power to do it. In the end, it's only his decision, and we can only accept it.

Let's see what he chooses to do.

Action Jackson
08-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Most of the other players notice these things and Marach said "he has been down for some weeks and I thought if I fought hard, I'd be in with a chance". That is to be expected.

RogiFan88
08-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, I hope Gaston does come to TO. All he can do is his best, no matter what the results. And yes, I agree he needs a break. All this touring and training and hotels can get to any player. I can totally understand his frustration. He wants to play well, his beautiful tennis but it doesn't always happen. I'll always support him no matter what -- I don't mind when he smashes his racquet or gets angry -- it shows he cares!

If he does take some extended break, we're the ones to lose out by not seeing him play but he will gain.

Do what you feel is right for you, Gaston! ;)

justClaudia
08-03-2006, 02:58 PM
If he does take some extended break, we're the ones to lose out by not seeing him play but he will gain.

Do what you feel is right for you, Gaston! ;)

:yeah:

Action Jackson
08-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Gaston hasn't entered any events after the US Open for the moment and he is very unlikely to play Davis Cup, so this indicates that he is looking to take some time off and I hope he does and that it works out for me.

Action Jackson
09-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Gaston hasn't entered any events and is only on the list on Madrid and Paris cause of his ranking.

But he won't be playing anything before Madrid and good for him.

justClaudia
09-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Gaston hasn't entered any events and is only on the list on Madrid and Paris cause of his ranking.

But he won't be playing anything before Madrid and good for him.

Rest and get his head together. :yeah:

Denisse
09-08-2006, 03:10 PM
yep. he said his objective now is to be fit for next year, and then see if he feels like playing some tournaments.

RogiFan88
09-08-2006, 09:52 PM
As long as we have a chance to see Gaston play Madrid and/or Paris!

Action Jackson
09-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Gaston is off skiing at the moment.

He has put his name down to play Lyon, though to be honest I am not sure whether he is going to turn up or not. Maybe cause the Davis Cup final will be played indoors in Russia most likely, if anything goes wrong with the 4 squad players, then he could be considered.

Action Jackson
11-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Gaston won't be seeded for the Aus Open and that could be a good or bad thing. I mean he is ranked 34th now and he will have his points come off from Shanghai soon.

The facts are with ranking, if he plays well enough over time then it will improve, so it's just commonsense and he has to feel happy on court and that is what is most important. The ranking will look after itself.

He decided to turn up to Madrid and Lyon and in hindsight he shouldn't have bothered and was more of an attempt to try and get selected for the DC final squad, but that was never likely.

Just hope he can find some happiness on court and has a huge physical training base and is ready to come back and improve in 2007.

Vale
11-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Hi all!:wavey: Long time...

Gastón has already lost his Shanghai points, that´s why he´s down to 34.:(

I hope he might consider playing in one of the first week´s tournaments of 2007 to try to win say 50 points and ensure he won´t get someone like Federer in the first round of the AO!

Action Jackson
11-20-2006, 12:43 PM
He will more than likely play an event before the AO, it makes sense to do so and Chennai would be the easiest one in terms of overall depth.

The facts are that he is 34th and anyone between 24-32 is going to get someone in the top 8. I just hope if Gaston somehow is seeded that Boredo is the guy that he meets.

Action Jackson
11-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Gaston hasn't entered any events for the 1st week of the year.

Betty
11-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Gaston hasn't entered any events for the 1st week of the year.

maybe he needs rest..i hope next year will be better for him..and hope he could convice hinself of that :)

wenty
11-23-2006, 03:35 AM
I wish Gaston the best of luck next year...

Action Jackson
02-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Losing to Berlocq 2 and 2 isn't going to do his confidence any good. He did the right thing and pulled out of Viña.

One thing I noticed is that Pantera doesn't seem to be with him anymore and Gaston isn't as fit as he needs to be.

He just has to make sure that he can get in directly for the clay TMC events.

Choupi
02-06-2007, 07:28 AM
I hope that clay can bring him back to the game and joy of playing.....

Action Jackson
02-13-2007, 05:56 AM
This is one of the toughest times of Gaston's career at the moment and it could get worse as now he has to play at home next week in Buenos Aires.

Yes, it's a RR event and that means he will get 2 matches at least, though this could be problematic. We could see the full circle here. They booed and jeered him after Malaga, celebrated him like a hero when he won RG and now he is playing back in Buenos Aires, if things aren't going well, then they are going to turn on him.

Gaston might need to do some meditation and definitely more work with the pyschologist to suppress the negativity. It's easy to follow a guy when he is successful, but it's times like this that players need their fans more.

Choupi
02-13-2007, 06:26 AM
Poor Gaston. It's painful to know he's in such a bad period for him. He must feel so down in his life, not only when it comes to tennis. This negative circle is lasting for long now and it sure is affecting him.

Action Jackson
02-13-2007, 06:29 AM
I wonder what is happening with him outside of the court, that can have an impact good or bad as to what goes on inside the court.

It's up to him as to how he wants to get out of this situation.

Choupi
02-13-2007, 06:46 AM
I wonder what is happening with him outside of the court, that can have an impact good or bad as to what goes on inside the court.
And the other way round is true too. Being so low in his professional life can't but have effects on him, outside tennis. That's a vicious circle. Hope he finds a way to sort all this out. He must be suffering hard from it. :awww:

Action Jackson
02-13-2007, 07:09 AM
And the other way round is true too. Being so low in his professional life can't but have effects on him, outside tennis. That's a vicious circle. Hope he finds a way to sort all this out. He must be suffering hard from it. :awww:

Well if you are not being successful at work for whatever reasons, then it's natural that it can impact on the people around you in a negative manner.

One thing I did notice was that for whatever reason Pantera wasn't with him in Australia.

Choupi
02-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Yes, I had read about that. I wonder who's working with him, physically.

Eléa
02-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Pantera wasn't there in Lyon too, Gaston was working with another man but i can't tell you who he is :shrug: I asked the argentine group but nobody knows.

i miss Pantera :sad:

Gaston
02-13-2007, 12:09 PM
It's hard to see Gaston lost every match and you know he can do it better. I've been living in Switzerland so I don't see the matches and the problem he has, but I think the only thing we can do is cheer for him when possible and hope that he feel better in his life and on court. I know it is very difficult when you are down in your life to find a way out of this negative circle.

I wish Gaston goog luck on his way out of the negative Circle... and hope he will win soon some matches...

Vale
02-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Pantera wasn't there in Lyon too, Gaston was working with another man but i can't tell you who he is :shrug: I asked the argentine group but nobody knows

Bonadeo, a very good Argentine TV commentator, said during a match "There´s Gastón´s excellent physical trainer, "Profe" Menchón" and they showed an elderly guy who I think works with Zabaleta.
Maybe Pantera is dedicating himself full-time to Chela...

Denisse
02-16-2007, 09:51 PM
wasn't that the same profe that was in some tenis pro episodes?

Action Jackson
02-22-2007, 06:32 AM
Yes, the RR format is really proving to be a joke and if they need any more evidence check out Buenos Aires.

The cesspool that Gaston is in is getting deeper and deeper and he got booed off the court as well, but it seems it was only a minority and other circumstances during the day helped as well.

Gaston needs to play a lot of matches to hit form, but he lacks confidence in a big way and yes he wanted to retire in 2004 after the Aus Open, look what happened.

He should go walking somewhere in Patagonia or Tierra del Fuego. The silence might kill him, but he needs his mind to be cleared of the negativity. It might be time to learn some meditation.

arzu8
02-22-2007, 02:29 PM
I wish there was a site or mailing address which he had access to, where we were able to show him all our support. I am sure he would appreciated and put boost his confidence. There has been so many guys which have come out of a dark phase including Gaston. Look had James Blake he thought he would never be able to play tennis again; he is now currently #6 in the world. Blake had both a physical and mental issue and like he says he had alot a support from friends and family. I just think Gaston has too much talent to let go to waste, he just has to stick in there even take some time off but not to give up.

Aguante_el_Gato
02-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi all!! :wavey:
All what I want to say at this moment is: AGUANTE GASTON!!!
I wish that he can leave this well (he has already demonstrated that he has the tennis and talent to do it)

Action Jackson
02-22-2007, 04:22 PM
He has to get his head right and then make some tough decisions, this is not something that just happened, it's been a gradual thing.

Denaon
02-22-2007, 04:28 PM
He has to get his head right and then make some tough decisions, this is not something that just happened, it's been a gradual thing.

Absolutely....but I think what has made this come to this edge is the fact that he lost in a poor form right here in Buenos Aires and the crowd showed him an ugly face.....it's like a big WARNING sign in front of him...
He should not pay attention to anyone's expectations....because he's probably worried he's not showing his potential either to himself and the rest of the universe...
I agree with you GWH...he should travel to a place where he can consider his options...without other people interfering

Action Jackson
02-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Absolutely....but I think what has made this come to this edge is the fact that he lost in a poor form right here in Buenos Aires and the crowd showed him an ugly face.....it's like a big WARNING sign in front of him...
He should not pay attention to anyone's expectations....because he's probably worried he's not showing his potential either to himself and the rest of the universe...
I agree with you GWH...he should travel to a place where he can consider his options...

I mean it's very difficult at the moment and this is the time where he needs the most support during these moments.

They say you really have to hit the lowest of the low, before rising again. Look at his Independiente mate Cañas look how he has come back and there are other examples.

Gaston is very honest and that can be a good or bad thing. If he feels shit or down he shows it and when he is happy, then he shows it. He will never be a poker player at all.

I think he should try and play in Acapulco and if that doesn't work, then skip Indian Wells and Miami and go somewhere else.

Vale
02-22-2007, 08:53 PM
I mean it's very difficult at the moment and this is the time where he needs the most support during these moments.

They say you really have to hit the lowest of the low, before rising again. Look at his Independiente mate Cañas look how he has come back and there are other examples.

Gaston is very honest and that can be a good or bad thing. If he feels shit or down he shows it and when he is happy, then he shows it. He will never be a poker player at all.

I think he should try and play in Acapulco and if that doesn't work, then skip Indian Wells and Miami and go somewhere else.

Agree with you 100%.
I´m just too sad to write anything today.:sad: Tomorrow I´ll tell you more about the press conference.

Corina2605
02-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Poor, poor Gaston :(

I hope Gaston knows that he has fans who are still behind him and believe in him.

Corina2605
02-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Here is Chela's quote on Gaston's situation (taken from Juan's post match interview of today)

http://www.copatelmex.com/novedad.php?id=53

"Gastón no esta pasando por un buen momento, pero sigue trabajando duro como lo hacía cuando ganaba y en cualquier momento se le va a dar. No creo que deje, jugar al tenis es lo que le gusta hacer"

Translation (the best I could..)

"Gaston is not going through a good moment, but he keeps working hard as he did when he won and in any moment things will work again. I don't think he will leave tennis, playing tennis is what he likes to do."

I hope Juan is right. Vamos Gaston!

Choupi
02-23-2007, 08:13 AM
May Juan be right.

RogiFan88
03-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Hope Gasti will be back on track in Miami -- it's been a couple of weeks now -- time for a tiny break and some good prep!! ;)

wenty
03-20-2007, 04:09 AM
But Gaudio doesn't have an easy draw. RR Hidalgo 1st round, then Stephanek 2nd round...and after that he could meet Haas. Gaudio needs to play as well as can here. Good luck Gaudio...VAMOS GASTON !!!

Action Jackson
08-17-2007, 06:58 AM
Good that Gaston has swallowed his pride and has gone back to the Challengers, though in reality he didn't have much choice in the matter, except retirement and he should retire only when he feels he doesn't have it in him any more and he has no obligation to anyone but himself.

It seems he can't serve at the moment and even though his game isn't serve reliant like Karlovic, he still has to serve well enough so he can control the points, but the poor serving impacts on the rest of the game.

Whether he will come back or not, this is unknown, the talent is there, but the confidence isn't and it's a lot different to the Malaga situation and many things have been and gone since then.

He needs a lot of matches to play well, but can't win, so he doesn't get the matches to build upon and the regression continues. Losing to Luzzi a set and 2 breaks up, well the fear of winning and the lack of confidence are big steps he has to battle through.

After the US Open, he will more than likely play in Szczecin and the Copa Petrobras Series, which are high standard challengers.

Vale
08-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Good that Gaston has swallowed his pride and has gone back to the Challengers, though in reality he didn't have much choice in the matter, except retirement and he should retire only when he feels he doesn't have it in him any more and he has no obligation to anyone but himself.

It seems he can't serve at the moment and even though his game isn't serve reliant like Karlovic, he still has to serve well enough so he can control the points, but the poor serving impacts on the rest of the game.

Whether he will come back or not, this is unknown, the talent is there, but the confidence isn't and it's a lot different to the Malaga situation and many things have been and gone since then.

He needs a lot of matches to play well, but can't win, so he doesn't get the matches to build upon and the regression continues. Losing to Luzzi a set and 2 breaks up, well the fear of winning and the lack of confidence are big steps he has to battle through.

After the US Open, he will more than likely play in Szczecin and the Copa Petrobras Series, which are high standard challengers.

That´s an excellent diagnosis of Gastón´s situation today.
He spent three days snowboarding in Bariloche, accompanied by Marcela, and presumably now he must be back in BA training, in order to resume competing on 27 August. Unless you know something to the contrary, I don´t think he´ll play the qualies for the US Open, as he´s down to play the Como Challenger the same week.

Action Jackson
08-17-2007, 07:36 PM
That´s an excellent diagnosis of Gastón´s situation today.
He spent three days snowboarding in Bariloche, accompanied by Marcela, and presumably now he must be back in BA training, in order to resume competing on 27 August. Unless you know something to the contrary, I don´t think he´ll play the qualies for the US Open, as he´s down to play the Como Challenger the same week.

He is down to play in sunny Como and then I imagine he will play Szczecin and the Copa Petrobras series in South America.

RogiFan88
08-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Good for Gaston, playing challengers to get back on track! A good sign! [but, boy, did I miss him in MTL... ]

Action Jackson
08-08-2008, 11:02 AM
He might be back, he might not be and he is in the back end of his career, which is inevitable.

Well there are tentative plans on playing the South American challengers with a protective ranking, but he has to be right mentally, before he can do that, because he'd be only wasting his time, if he is not prepared to play.