Bud Collins:No storybook ending for Nadal [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Bud Collins:No storybook ending for Nadal

WhataQT
06-05-2006, 05:25 AM
Excerpt from Bud Collins commentary:

No storybook ending for Nadal
Nadal's bid to be the last man standing in Paris for the second year in a row is certainly a serious one, but I just don't see a repeat for the Spanish sensation.

I can’t see anyone in Nadal's half of the draw knocking him out en route to the final, but in my gut, I feel it will be Federer waiting for him on championship Sunday. And I see the Basel Dazzle putting an end to Nadal's lengthy and super impressive clay-court winning streak.

Even though I think Lleyton Hewitt will go over every wall in Philippe Chatrier Stadium to trouble Nadal in their round-of-16 encounter, the Aussie doesn’t have enough pop from the backcourt on clay to hit through him.

I like French teen Gael Monfils' enthusiasm, and Serb teen Novak Djokovic’s weapons, but Nadal is too steady for either of them in the quarterfinals. And I view Nadal a solid bet to take his semifinal as no player in his half of the draw has the legs to run with him on clay, including fourth-seed Ivan Ljubicic, who’s really a fast-court player.

Nadal is tireless, and he was heroic in stopping Paul Henri Mathieu in nearly five hours in the third round, but there are ways to attack him.

If Federer serves well and approaches the net with the ferocity that Mathieu did, I think he’ll finally punch holes in the Spaniard’s armor.

Expecting Federer's best
The Swiss No. 1 has struggled in two of his matches this fortnight, but he almost always finds a path to weave his way to victory. His all-court game is effective everywhere, and he impressed me during the first week in Paris with how he was mentally willing to face up to every challenge.

In the quarterfinals, Federer should be able to race past Mario Ancic, who is exhausted after throwing up during his five-set win over Tommy Robredo in their round-of-16 match on Sunday.

But I expect Federer to be seriously tested in the semifinals, either by his other nemesis besides Nadal, David Nalbandian, or the Russian backboard Nicolay Davydenko.

Federer will have to show a lot of guile and patience to get through against either of those opponents, but I believe his desire to win the only Grand-Slam title that has eluded him will carry him through.

In the final, I expect Federer to play the best clay-court match of his life, combining net rushing with inventive play from the backcourt. Unlike in Rome where he let go of two match points against Nadal, this time he’ll take care of business at the closing bell.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13135927/page/2/

forever_rafter
06-05-2006, 11:49 AM
I hope so, I do :worship:

SaFed2005
06-05-2006, 12:31 PM
i hope so too :)

Ceri
06-05-2006, 12:39 PM
me too! :)

adee-gee
06-05-2006, 12:57 PM
:lol: no chance.

Solid_Snake
06-05-2006, 01:04 PM
The Pig will be roasted on sunday.

Johnny Groove
06-05-2006, 01:27 PM
The french will have roasted Rabbit schishkabob sunday evening

megadeth
06-05-2006, 02:18 PM
:lol: no chance.

i really think your rafa is going to lose this time

and then he'll start playing those small clay court tourneys again after wimbledon to just match roger on number of titles won in a year....

rue
06-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I surely hope not. I still am for Nadal all the way.

gillian
06-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Bud needs to pass me some of what he's smoking.

ys
06-05-2006, 04:33 PM
There is however some aspect Mr. Collins drops out of consideration.. Nerves. If, and that is still a big if, Federer makes it to the finals, he WILL be nervous as NEVER before, as it has NEVER happened before that he would have had to play a match with SO MUCH at stake against an opponent who is every bit as good as him. Nadal will have much less at stake, much less pressure on him - because a loss there will be just a loss, nothing else, no calendar/non-calendar Grand Slam hopes depending on this match, his streak is bound to end somewhere.. And, apart from that, Nadal still strikes me as a better pressure player on clay.

DrJules
06-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Is Bud a reliable source or does he make lots of incorrect predictions. I would be amazed if this prediction is correct.

Merton
06-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Never on Sunday :lol:

star
06-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Bud makes his share of bum predictions and gets clouded by emotions just like other experts. I think what he says about each player is true, but the problem is that it has to happen out on the court.

The best person I ever saw for predicting matches was Arthur Ashe. He was remarkable.

rogertooogood
06-05-2006, 10:35 PM
still a long way to go with two matchs to win, but I am just counting them down one by one

avocadoe
06-05-2006, 10:35 PM
hoping roger makes a believer out of me, and he has to do it, for me to believe. he could and i want him to but as star says it has to happen on the court. i want to see every moment of it!

Leo
06-05-2006, 10:58 PM
How did Bud Collins become a famous tennis journalist? I don't mean that as a dig, because I occasionally agree with him (very occasionally), but I'm really curious.

Scotso
06-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Yes, Federer is playing well.... but he has often played better in tournaments than Nadal and still lost to him.

atheneglaukopis
06-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Yes, Federer is playing well.... but he has often played better in tournaments than Nadal and still lost to him.
Yes, and sometimes he peaks too soon. :scared: I hope that isn't what's happening here.

star
06-05-2006, 11:57 PM
There is however some aspect Mr. Collins drops out of consideration.. Nerves. If, and that is still a big if, Federer makes it to the finals, he WILL be nervous as NEVER before, as it has NEVER happened before that he would have had to play a match with SO MUCH at stake against an opponent who is every bit as good as him. Nadal will have much less at stake, much less pressure on him - because a loss there will be just a loss, nothing else, no calendar/non-calendar Grand Slam hopes depending on this match, his streak is bound to end somewhere.. And, apart from that, Nadal still strikes me as a better pressure player on clay.

I think both will be feeling nerves. Roger for the "Roger Slam" (I can't believe he has stooped to this trashy name for the appropriately called "non-calendar slam") and a leg on what could be potentially the Grand Slam. But, Nadal will be nervous because of the "streak" and the expectations on him to repeat as champion. He's already said he isn't playing with the same kind of "liberation" as last year. I think it's easy to see his nerves. I think both will have nerves. Both want it a lot.

But, as others have warned. Both of them have to get to the final first. :)

Rogiman
06-06-2006, 12:00 AM
(I can't believe he has stooped to this trashy name for the appropriately called "non-calendar slam") That's because "non-calendar Slam" tells only half of the story: he'll be attempting to win 4th in a row, much more impressive than "just" non-calendar Slam.

star
06-06-2006, 12:02 AM
That's because "non-calendar Slam" tells only half of the story: he'll be attempting to win 4th in a row, much more impressive than "just" non-calendar Slam.

The non-calendar slam is winning the 4th slam in a row.

Rogiman
06-06-2006, 12:03 AM
The non-calendar slam is winning the 4th slam in a row.
Oh, I must have thought of "career Grand Slam" :o

gusman890
06-06-2006, 12:03 AM
i agree with bud, i hope so too as well

piggy needs to get toasted for beating hewitt today

Rogiman
06-06-2006, 12:09 AM
i agree with bud, i hope so too as well

piggy needs to get toasted for beating hewitt today
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/roasted_pig1.gif

atheneglaukopis
06-06-2006, 12:19 AM
I don't find "Roger slam" trashy, and "non-calendar slam" is far too negative for this huge accomplishment. Look, let me put it this way. If he finally wins RG on Sunday, I don't want every time I talk about it to have a subtext of, "Oh, but look at what you haven't done. :nerner:"

Corey Feldman
06-06-2006, 12:21 AM
I think both will be feeling nerves. Roger for the "Roger Slam" (I can't believe he has stooped to this trashy name for the appropriately called "non-calendar slam") its normal, we had "the tiger (woods) slam" and "serena slam" when they did the same.

as for Collins prediction, lets wait and see how Fed's semi final match will go, imo the only threat to a Fed-Nadal final now.
i even feel Davydenko is more dangerous than Nalbandian.

Johnny Groove
06-06-2006, 12:24 AM
http://www.kingcards.com/images/bday/ginsing_bf32.gif

roger came over for rafa's birthday the other night!

ys
06-06-2006, 12:25 AM
That's because "non-calendar Slam" tells only half of the story: he'll be attempting to win 4th in a row, much more impressive than "just" non-calendar Slam.

"non-calendar Slam", "career Slam", plus, for him, as he is an overwhelming favourite for W and huge favourite for USO, this tournament opens the door for just "Grand Slam" which pretty much is an ultimate accomplishment in the sport.. He wins this - next thing we'll now is that he won 6 Slams in a row, which will instantly stop any discussion about who is the Greatest Of All Time.. Comparing to that, all Nadal's pressure worries are quite minor stuff.. I don't think Nadal will have a pressure anywhere to what Federer will have..

Rogiman
06-06-2006, 12:29 AM
"non-calendar Slam", "career Slam", plus, for him, as he is an overwhelming favourite for W and huge favourite for USO, this tournament opens the door for just "Grand Slam" which pretty much is an ultimate accomplishment in the sport.. He wins this - next thing we'll now is that he won 6 Slams in a row, which will instantly stop any discussion about who is the Greatest Of All Time.. Comparing to that, all Nadal's pressure worries are quite minor stuff.. I don't think Nadal will have a pressure anywhere to what Federer will have..
You're probably right.

I hope he can channel the pressure to the right place and play possessed.

celia
06-06-2006, 12:29 AM
http://www.kingcards.com/images/bday/ginsing_bf32.gif

roger came over for rafa's birthday the other night!
this deserves it's own thread :lol:

Art&Soul
06-06-2006, 01:22 AM
Hopp ROGI :) The Beauty should win the beast ;)