Federer easy draw, reason why favourite for title [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer easy draw, reason why favourite for title

Halba
06-05-2006, 12:28 AM
All the players Federer seem to face are either battle weary(Ancic, Davy/Nalby,Nadal) or no match for him(Berdych) hence he will win this years FO. Federer has hardly spent a marathon time on court and is in cruise control. It is like he is picking up on the scrappers(ancic) and these guys after long-ass marathons are spent have little chance of beating Fed.

Thats a pity in a long GS event, you always have 'fresher' people facing people who have gone through long 5 setters, which is not really an even-match up and arguably not fair.

But It is Federer who has the last laugh as his game does not depend on baseline attrition; rather he likes to finish off points. He is most clever- he is conserving energy. Why can't Nadal attack more? I think Nadal will be gone by the final.

EDIT:

When i meant Nadal 'gone' by final i mean not enough left in the tank to beat Federer in the final. I still think he will make the final no worries

NYCtennisfan
06-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Federer does NOT have the easier draw. I highly doubt that there is another player who could make Berdych look like a challenger. Massu is tough. On paper, he could've faced Ancic/Robredo/Acasuso in the QF and will face either Nalbandian or Davydenko in the SF. What does Nadal face? PHM was not supposed to be a 5 hour battle although the talented Frenchman always had the talent to push Nadal. Hewitt has not played much on clay and it is his worse surface. Nole or Monfils are youngsters and probably not ready for the moment, although I think Djokovic might be tough for anyone. Then there is the SF. There is no Nalbandian or Davydenko there waiting.

Julio1974
06-05-2006, 12:52 AM
This thread reminded me of Alexito and his Federer's lucky draw theory.

nobama
06-05-2006, 12:58 AM
:rolleyes: All the players Federer seem to face are either battle weary(Ancic, Davy/Nalby,Nadal) or no match for him(Berdych) hence he will win this years FO. Federer has hardly spent a marathon time on court and is in cruise control. It is like he is picking up on the scrappers(ancic) and these guys after long-ass marathons are spent have little chance of beating Fed.

Thats a pity in a long GS event, you always have 'fresher' people facing people who have gone through long 5 setters, which is not really an even-match up and arguably not fair.

But It is Federer who has the last laugh as his game does not depend on baseline attrition; rather he likes to finish off points. He is most clever- he is conserving energy. Why can't Nadal attack more? I think Nadal will be gone by the final. :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

It's not unfair to Roger if other players spend more time on court. :rolleyes: Besides Berdych spent less time on court and was arguably fresher than Roger. Again it's not Roger's fault if Berdych didn't bring his 'A' game and Roger won quite comfortably. I don't think many Fed fans were predicting such an easy win today. I think it's quite laughable you think Nadal won't be in the final because of the way he plays. He's probably one of the most match tough and fit players on the tour. I think Hewitt is the only one left that could keep him out on court 4 or 5 sets. I don't think you have to worry about your precious Nadal not making the final.

mangoes
06-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Amazing..............Simply Amazing :lol: :lol:

I was wondering how long it would take someone to call Nadal's draw "hard" because he couldn't close out PHM in 3 sets yesterday. Roger faced Massu who was quite a challenge and Berdych who has more game than PHM. Roger will face Ancic, who is having a great clay season and has a day to recover......Nadal faces Hewitt who is on a downward slide. No one with a straight face can say he or she expects Hewitt to even win a set off Nadal. Then, while Roger, if successful against Ancic, will meet Nalbandian or Davydenko in the semifinals, no player worth two cents on clay awaits Nadal in the semifinals..............so, please, be quiet.

nobama
06-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Federer does NOT have the easier draw. I highly doubt that there is another player who could make Berdych look like a challenger. Massu is tough. On paper, he could've faced Ancic/Robredo/Acasuso in the QF and will face either Nalbandian or Davydenko in the SF. What does Nadal face? PHM was not supposed to be a 5 hour battle although the talented Frenchman always had the talent to push Nadal. Hewitt has not played much on clay and it is his worse surface. Nole or Monfils are youngsters and probably not ready for the moment, although I think Djokovic might be tough for anyone. Then there is the SF. There is no Nalbandian or Davydenko there waiting.Nadal beat up Monfils quite easily in Rome so I can't see him being a challenge at all. He'll probably get Ljubicic in the SF based on who's left in that quarter and clay certainly isn't his best surface. Of course the gods up there made sure all of Roger's later opponents spent a lot of time on court so they wouldn't be fresh when they met him. :lol:

robinhood
06-05-2006, 01:02 AM

How is Alexito?
Is he still around?
Haven't seen his name for a while now.

His posts always made me smile. :)

scoobs
On paper Rafa has the easier draw - it's down to him how tough he makes than on himself, as is true of Feds.

Skyward
http://bestsmileys.com/signs12/25.gif

Sjengster
06-05-2006, 01:03 AM

buuuuuuuuuuuuu, always easy draw federer, i can make rg final too if i only have to face nalbandian or davydenko on clay over five sets in sf....

Castafiore
06-05-2006, 01:04 AM
I know that Berdych is very talented but how much of his potential has he shown this season? I mean, on paper, this could have been a tough match but is anybody really surprised that this was a straight sets defeat?

Jairus
06-05-2006, 01:05 AM
The point is, NEITHER guy has a hard draw. Why? Because they are so much fucking better than everyone else, that the opponents don't matter. That's not to say Fed and Nadal are unbeatable, but rather, if one of them loses before the final, it will be because they had an off day. That means that a qualifier and Nalbandian are almost equal in terms of difficulty (as demonstrated by PHM vs Berdych vs. that guy Fed had in his first round, etc)

robinhood
06-05-2006, 01:06 AM
buuuuuuuuuuuuu, always easy draw federer, i can make rg final too if i only have to face nalbandian or davydenko on clay over five sets in sf....

Sjeng, "buuuu" was good, but the rest makes too much sense.

Sjengster
06-05-2006, 01:06 AM
I know that Berdych is very talented but how much of his potential has he shown this season? I mean, on paper, this could have been a tough match but is anybody really surprised that this was a straight sets defeat?

Well, he has beaten three Top 20 players. I was reading somewhere, either here or on a professional website, that he didn't stand much of a chance against Federer since he'd only beaten three Top 20 players this year, Hewitt, Nalbandian and Kiefer, and I thought: you know, a lot of players would like to say they only beat a mere three opponents in the Top 20.

With the win over Nalbandian in Dusseldorf I believe he is the only player to have victories over all the current Top 4 in the last couple of years.

As for the match today, well no, I wasn't tremendously surprised. I thought it could be a good contest, but I found it laughable when someone predicted that Berdych could be Federer's marathon 4-hour test - I mean, look at the way that the two men play, they're not going to be out there grinding each other into the dust for rally after rally. The weather was hot today, which gave him more of a chance to penetrate off the ground, but to be honest best of five on clay is the worst possible circumstances for Berdych to face Federer, given that he hits flat with a low margin for error. I would imagine best of three indoors would be the ideal setting for him, given his win in Paris last year, although Federer is obviously no indoor slouch either.

LLeytonRules
06-05-2006, 01:08 AM
I expect Hewitt too fight tomorrow, he has nothing too lose.This is a great result for him.Nadal fans never seem to amazed, Roger's draw is far more dangerous.

nobama
06-05-2006, 01:08 AM
This thread is like the British newspaper the Independent today proclaming Nadal "superman" because it took him 4 sets and 5 hours to close out PHM. :lol:

mangoes
06-05-2006, 01:09 AM

A lot more than PHM. PHM just came out to play the match of his life against Nadal. That doesn't automatically make him a better player than Massu or Berdych. And Nadal, finally, faced one tough match for the entire clay season with someone other than Roger........... Nadal did not expect such a performance from PHM and was caught off guard, yet, he closed it out in 4. Not for one second did I think PHM would beat Nadal. And a guy coming out to finally challenge Nadal does not make his draw harder than Roger's draw. Roger's match with Massu could have easily gone to 5 sets.

Castafiore
06-05-2006, 01:16 AM
A lot more than PHM. PHM just came out to play the match of his life against Nadal. That doesn't automatically make him a better player than Massu or Berdych. And Nadal, finally, faced one tough match for the entire clay season with someone other than Roger........... Nadal did not expect such a performance from PHM and was caught off guard, yet, he closed it out in 4.
I'm not saying that Paulo has more potential than Berdych (it should be obvious that I'm not saying that....I'm always glad to see Tomas on the other side of the draw).
I knew in advance that Paulo was going to give Rafa a workout (although I admit the 'caught off guard bit'...I also had that impression). I even mentioned it to oneandonlyhsn that I was expecting this: nothing to lose, in front of his home crowd, having their previous matches in mind,...

Well, let's wait and see, shall we? Hewitt is uncertain for me at this point. You can never underestimate Lleyton IMO (some people are giving up on him too soon).

I'm getting a bit tired of these Roger has a more difficult draw/ no, Rafa has/are you kidding, Federer has to play.../what about Nadal who... threads by both fan bases.
The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Merton
06-05-2006, 01:55 AM

To be fair though, some people similarly whined a lot before the Rome final that Roger had a tougher draw, spent much more time on court, etc.

athina7
06-05-2006, 02:00 AM
I'm getting a bit tired of these Roger has a more difficult draw/ no, Rafa has/are you kidding, Federer has to play.../what about Nadal who... threads by both fan bases.
The truth is probably somewhere in between.
I agree, this is getting old.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
06-05-2006, 02:41 AM
The truth isn't anywhere in between - Federer has a far harder draw. Nadal has absolutely nobody half-decent in his path. World #29 PHM? Hewitt isn't all that on clay and Nadal will face a very weak player in the semis. He couldn't have had a better draw if he'd written the draw himself.

NYCtennisfan
06-05-2006, 02:52 AM
The truth isn't anywhere in between - Federer has a far harder draw. Nadal has absolutely nobody half-decent in his path. World #29 PHM? Hewitt isn't all that on clay and Nadal will face a very weak player in the semis. He couldn't have had a better draw if he'd written the draw himself.

Completely agree. Who on Nadal's side of the draw can come anywhere near Davydenko or Nalbandian? Only Djokovic can theoretically give Nadal problems now before the finals.

Soderling/Kim/PHM/Hewitt/Djokovic or Monfils/Ivan or Martin or Benneteau or Hidalgo
That is a draw made in heaven.

Q, Q, Massu, Berdych, Ancic, Davydenko/Nalbandian is a much harder path simply because of the SF opponent.

no name face
06-05-2006, 02:59 AM
Federer does NOT have the easier draw. I highly doubt that there is another player who could make Berdych look like a challenger. Massu is tough. On paper, he could've faced Ancic/Robredo/Acasuso in the QF and will face either Nalbandian or Davydenko in the SF. What does Nadal face? PHM was not supposed to be a 5 hour battle although the talented Frenchman always had the talent to push Nadal. Hewitt has not played much on clay and it is his worse surface. Nole or Monfils are youngsters and probably not ready for the moment, although I think Djokovic might be tough for anyone. Then there is the SF. There is no Nalbandian or Davydenko there waiting.

i agree completely :worship:

yanchr
06-05-2006, 04:51 AM
Draw again :rolleyes:

Yeah, if Fed wins, that's because he has an easy draw, like always :o

Look at the opponents he faced and will face, and look at Nadal's, it's so obviously clear that Fed has a tougher draw. For Fed, it's about to make difficult things look easy. For Nadal, it's about to make easy things look difficult. If you don't get it, you are either blind or simply biased.

Allez
06-05-2006, 06:30 AM
This guy's just looking for excuses. Everyone knows Roger has the tougher draw.

Halba
06-05-2006, 06:50 AM
my point is that by the time Roger faces Davydenko or Nalbandian they would have lost steam as their QF match would be a marathon 5 setter easy...so whats the use Roger facing low par any of these players? Roger's got it easy c'mon!

But regardless A Roger v Rafa final will see a contest on an even level as Rafa has great fitness so he'll recover enough

TennisGrandSlam
06-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Roger draw is tougher than that of Rafa!

Halba
06-05-2006, 07:03 AM
on paper yes, but in practise most of the players will be tired once they face roger

ugotlobbed
06-05-2006, 08:03 AM
wtf are u talking about noob nalbandian and davydenko are the 3,4 best claycourters right now

Action Jackson
06-05-2006, 08:33 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/svein_sveynsson/flypig.gif http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/svein_sveynsson/flypig.gif http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/svein_sveynsson/flypig.gif

Cervantes
06-05-2006, 08:44 AM
my point is that by the time Roger faces Davydenko or Nalbandian they would have lost steam as their QF match would be a marathon 5 setter easy...so whats the use Roger facing low par any of these players? Roger's got it easy c'mon!

But regardless A Roger v Rafa final will see a contest on an even level as Rafa has great fitness so he'll recover enough

Why are you so certain Nalbandian-Davydenko goes the distance. Sure, it's hard to pick a winner, but I'm not so sure this will be a 5 set battle. And even then, they haven't spend too much time on court in their first four rounds, so with the day off the winner should be capable to put up a good fight against Roger.

But back on topic, Nadal has the easier draw, but that probably doesn't matter. There was only one player I wanted Roger to avoid before the final and that's Nalbandian. He ended up in Roger's half which sucks. But besides Nalbandian there isn't anyone who can challenge Roger and Rafa anyway so the draw is insignificant.

Apemant
06-05-2006, 09:28 AM
But back on topic, Nadal has the easier draw, but that probably doesn't matter. There was only one player I wanted Roger to avoid before the final and that's Nalbandian. He ended up in Roger's half which sucks. But besides Nalbandian there isn't anyone who can challenge Roger and Rafa anyway so the draw is insignificant.

You wanted to say, the draw was insignificant except for Nalbandian placement? :)

Yeah, I'd just love to see Nalbo vs. Nadal on clay... it's absurd they haven't played a single match yet! For some reason I believe David would be quite a match for Nadal - of course, if he was in the right mood. :devil:

Saturn66
06-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Roger has a much tougher draw.

*julie*
06-05-2006, 10:16 AM
The truth isn't anywhere in between - Federer has a far harder draw. Nadal has absolutely nobody half-decent in his path. World #29 PHM?

Be fair. PHM played far better than a #29 ranked player. His ranking doesn't (always) reflect his level of play.

federated
06-05-2006, 01:39 PM
easy draw? ummm...NO.

betterthanhenman
06-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Well, he has beaten three Top 20 players. I was reading somewhere, either here or on a professional website, that he didn't stand much of a chance against Federer since he'd only beaten three Top 20 players this year, Hewitt, Nalbandian and Kiefer, and I thought: you know, a lot of players would like to say they only beat a mere three opponents in the Top 20.

With the win over Nalbandian in Dusseldorf I believe he is the only player to have victories over all the current Top 4 in the last couple of years.

As for the match today, well no, I wasn't tremendously surprised. I thought it could be a good contest, but I found it laughable when someone predicted that Berdych could be Federer's marathon 4-hour test - I mean, look at the way that the two men play, they're not going to be out there grinding each other into the dust for rally after rally. The weather was hot today, which gave him more of a chance to penetrate off the ground, but to be honest best of five on clay is the worst possible circumstances for Berdych to face Federer, given that he hits flat with a low margin for error. I would imagine best of three indoors would be the ideal setting for him, given his win in Paris last year, although Federer is obviously no indoor slouch either.

Berdych is living off his Paris success and wins against Nadal and Federer. He has a lot more to do in my opinion to justify the fanfare.

Anyway, back to the thread title... :rolleyes:

scarecrows
06-05-2006, 01:43 PM
the bottom part of the draw was way easier. I mean...all the favourites but Nadal were in the upper part. If the get to face each other before it just means that the best of them will go to face Federer in the semifinal

forever_rafter
06-05-2006, 02:47 PM
easy draw? ummm...NO.

Exactly. Oh mate, hope Nadal will never come back to short hair like in your avatar ;)

Conita
06-05-2006, 03:14 PM
i dont think its an easy draw
but whatever the case he is the world number 1
good draws are an award for everything that he has achieved
so even if his draw was easier he deserves it!
if u want an easier draw then start winning some more matches and get more points!
i mean thats the whole point of having seeded players!
:P

and he's the fav cos he is the world number
he is always the fav player in every tourney!

liverpool_FC
06-05-2006, 03:20 PM
No ways it is an easy draw... If anything Federer has a tougher draw than Nadal!