Women gaining on the men? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Women gaining on the men?

betterthanhenman
06-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Does the women's game have more depth than the men's?

Obviously in the men's we have people ranked anywhere in the top 100 that can beat the highest ranked players. However, in terms of winning major tournaments, the men's is now easier to predict than the women's.

The WTA does not have dominant forces such as Nadal and Federer. Instead they have a group of players that are all about the same level...

Mauresmo, Henin-Hardenne, Petrova, Clijsters, Davenport, Kuznetsova, Sharapova etc.

The WTA also seems to have as many young talented players as we have on the men's side. Anyway, what do you think?

adee-gee
06-04-2006, 10:59 PM
In terms of unpredictability, yes.

In terms of quality, a resounding NO!

Bagelicious
06-04-2006, 11:00 PM
In terms of unpredictability, yes.

In terms of quality, a resounding NO!

Have to agree with the gee-man here. Still doesn't change my views on pay though.

miss strokes
06-04-2006, 11:00 PM
i used to follow womens tennis more than the mens game but now i think it is really poor.

adee-gee
06-04-2006, 11:05 PM
i used to follow womens tennis more than the mens game but now i think it is really poor.
Really? I would've thought the womens game is better now than it was a few years ago when the Williams' were killing everyone. I'm kind of disappointed the mens game is turning into that at the moment.

betterthanhenman
06-04-2006, 11:11 PM
In the top 50 on each side I would make a point to watch the following:

Women:
Maureasmo, Petrova, Clijsters, Sharapova, Henin-Hardenne, Dementieva, Schnyder, Kuznetsova, Myskina, WIlliams, Hingis, Groenefeld, Vaidisova, Safina, Hantuchova, Ivanovic, Kirilenko, Golovin, Peer, Li, Mirza, Krajicek

Total women watched = 22

Men: might be easier to say who I wouldn't make a point of watching.
Ginepri, Hrbaty, Massu, Chela, Rusedski, Serra, Soderling

Total men watched = 43

Men win by 43 to 22!! :rocker2:

miss strokes
06-04-2006, 11:12 PM
the womens game went true a golden moment in 96 with hingis making her mark and from then onwards but now i couldnt be bothered watching a womens game at all,some of them just dont have enough fight in them and plus the quality isnt there.

LleytonMonfils
06-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Funny you should post this I was just thinking man the quality of women's tennis at the French Open sucks. They just hit and hope, grip it and rip it no constructing of points whatsoever. Used to watch the women's game more. I'm a big Sharapova fan and didn't enjoy watching her at all today. And I usually enjoy just watching her play regardless of how the match goes. Men's tennis is much better and exciting than women's right now and that is not going to change EVER. Just watch the Nadal , Hewitt match tomorrow... I think that could be the match of the tournament.

betterthanhenman
06-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Funny you should post this I was just thinking man the quality of women's tennis at the French Open sucks. They just hit and hope, grip it and rip it no constructing of points whatsoever. Used to watch the women's game more. I'm a big Sharapova fan and didn't enjoy watching her at all today. And I usually enjoy just watching her play regardless of how the match goes. Men's tennis is much better and exciting than women's right now and that is not going to change EVER. Just watch the Nadal , Hewitt match tomorrow... I think that could be the match of the tournament.

Lol. That will be too one-sided.

Andre♥
06-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Women playing tennis, especially on clay, are a joke.

The only thing they can do is moonballing and waiting for the UE of the opponent...

betterthanhenman
06-04-2006, 11:19 PM

The only thing they can do is moonballing and waiting for the UE of the opponent...

Did you watch Vaidisova and Henin-Hardenne yesterday?

flip_fan
06-04-2006, 11:20 PM
From a female perspective... i have never been into womens tennis, but i have been watching some matches lately and i'm very impressed with the power the young girls have. Girls who are only 16/17/18 are matching it with the best and hitting winners i think most non-sexist men would be impressed by.

The WTA is improving and the quality of competitors are getting better and stronger... there's still a few years yet until the quality is as consistantly good as the mens, but it will happen.

LleytonMonfils
06-04-2006, 11:20 PM
That's what women's tennis is UE AFTER UE.

scoobs
06-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Women have the depth but the quality is often lacking. For every good match, say, Sharapova and Safina today, there's an atrocious one, like Henin-Hardenne vs Myskina today. That was embarrassing - the 2004 champion was 6-1 5-0 down to the 2005 champion. Then the 2005 champion went off the boil herself and allowed the 2004 champion 4 games before finally serving it out. It was barely entertaining because it was all decided by one player or the other playing poorly. I can't think of a comparable instance on the men's side at that sort of level.

I like the women's game and like the unpredictability but the match quality all this year has barely lived up to the promise considering how many good players are there right now. I can think of three total classic men's matches from the recent past in the men's game, this year. With the women I'm really scratching my head.

miss strokes
06-04-2006, 11:25 PM
watching hingis play early on in her career was a joy,she was great to watch,then gradually the williams domination was over-bearing and a flood of eastern block players came with a very one-dimensional game of hitting the ball as hard as they could. mens tennis is much better.

betterthanhenman
06-04-2006, 11:31 PM
MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA
CLIJSTERS, KIM BEL
PETROVA, NADIA RUS
SHARAPOVA, MARIA RUS
HENIN-HARDENNE, JUSTINE BEL
PIERCE, MARY FRA
DAVENPORT, LINDSAY USA
DEMENTIEVA, ELENA RUS
SCHNYDER, PATTY SUI
KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA

Federer, Roger (SUI)
Nadal, Rafael (ESP)
Nalbandian, David (ARG)
Ljubicic, Ivan (CRO)
Roddick, Andy (USA)
Davydenko, Nikolay (RUS)
Robredo, Tommy (ESP)
Blake, James (USA)
Gonzalez, Fernando (CHI)
Gaudio, Gaston (ARG)

Honestly, I don't think there is a great difference in respective qualities of the top tens at the moment, with the exception of Roger and Rafa. The men obviously play to a higher standard, that is a given, but taking into account the physical difference, there is not a huge gap.

Halba
06-04-2006, 11:32 PM
women's tennis is a joke thats why i am on MENSTENNISFORUMS

betterthanhenman
06-04-2006, 11:33 PM
women's tennis is a joke thats why i am on MENSTENNISFORUMS

Your thread about Robredo owning Ancic was the biggest joke!

betterthanhenman
06-04-2006, 11:34 PM
The womens top 10 has 7 GS winners.

The mens has 4.

Sjengster
06-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Did you watch Vaidisova and Henin-Hardenne yesterday?

It strikes me that the double H is the two-time winner and defending champion here, and still the player to beat on clay, precisely because she can moonball and wait for the UE of the opponent, as well as hitting big groundstrokes at the right moments. Most of the women can only do the latter, and rarely do they succeed at the right moments.

ChloeLove
06-05-2006, 12:54 AM
None of the top WTA players can ever hold it together long enough to actually win matches constantly. There are upsets every single tournament for these ladies, i'd say even the upsets are starting to become predictable.

None of the players seem mentally strong enough to finish off a game, it's very possible for a player to come up from 0-5 in the womens game. In the mens game, it's very rare. I used to only watch the womens tennis, but now i'm finding it lacks quality. Too many bad serves, and UE's.

Corswandt
06-05-2006, 01:56 AM
Ooohhhhh, how precious.

Yet another thread about how much women's tennis sucks.

Don't you ever get tired of these?

That's what women's tennis is UE AFTER UE.

Vaidisova stats for her win vs Mauresmo: 38 winners, 32 UEs

Stats for Monfils vs Blake:

Monfils 59 winners, 59 UEs
Blake 63 winners, 74 UEs

BlakeorHenman
06-05-2006, 05:58 AM
Men's and womens's tennis are two very different sports and should be treated as such.

Right now, the women's field has more depth at the upper level, but not at the lower level.

What's more interesting has to do with the viewer. If you know a lot about tennis, i think you might be more likely (at least a little bit) to follow the men's game, because you know and are interested in players ranked outside the top 50. In women's tennis, sure, anyone in the top 15 can win a slam, but everyone in the #30 onward ranked players are pretty much less interesting. this might be because of television coverage, but it's still true.

Action Jackson
06-05-2006, 06:06 AM
No.

Apemant
06-05-2006, 08:03 AM
Vaidisova stats for her win vs Mauresmo: 38 winners, 32 UEs

Stats for Monfils vs Blake:

Monfils 59 winners, 59 UEs
Blake 63 winners, 74 UEs

Or Hingis vs. Lisjak: 25 winners, 8 UEs :eek:

Still, that sort of comparison is inconclusive. To hit a winner vs. Karlovic isn't quite the same as to hit a winner vs. Nadal. Check out Karlovic vs. Patience stats (1st round):

Karlovic: 63 winners, 31 UEs :eek:
Patience, 55 winners, 19 UEs :eek:

Based on just the stats, that sounds like a match of the century. :devil:

betterthanhenman
06-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Just so there is no confusion...

1. I have always and will always prefer men's tennis.

2. Women should not get equal money in my humble opinion.

3. However, at the moment, there are more great players in the women's top 10 than in the men's. And, the women's Grand Slams are more open than the men's.

alfonsojose
06-05-2006, 03:31 PM

you haven't seen women's tennis for a long time then :wavey:

Andre♥
06-05-2006, 03:49 PM
you haven't seen women's tennis for a long time then :wavey:

Actually the last time I watched a women's match was when a player retired on a Grand Slam final with an upset stomach... :rolleyes:

tangerine_dream
06-05-2006, 03:49 PM
I agree that the women's slams have become more interesting now that the WS aren't dominating. I'm watching more women's tennis these days than ever before; there is more depth and more unknowns, whereas on the men's side it's between Roger and Rafa throughout the year and that's pretty much it. I love Roger and Rafa but it gets boring after a while. :zzz: The other guys ranked 3-100 really need to step it up. :(

ys
06-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Yes.

When players like Ljubicic, Ancic, Davydenko, Blake, Robredo, Gonzalez start to be considered a part of the ATP elite, you can't but agree with those who calls these days of ATP "The Clown's Era"..

Corswandt
06-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Actually the last time I watched a women's match was when a player retired on a Grand Slam final with an upset stomach... :rolleyes:

Your perception of women's tennis is visibly stuck sometime in the heyday of ASV.

Nowadays, you can watch a women's tennis match, even on clay, and count the total number of moonballs on the fingers of one hand. Try moonballing Davenport to see what she does with it.

The effects of the Big Gun Revolution are being felt at all levels of the game; the younger players hit harder and flatter, are tougher and fitter than ever before, and nowadays heavy hitters like Groenefeld or Vaidisova achieve decent results on clay with a game which would prima facie seem wholly unsuited to it. The dust lifted by the massive jolt the game has underwent in recent years hasn't settled yet, and the increased aggressiveness is still paid with rashness and inconsistency. There are still UEs galore, but at least points are over faster.