What happened with the possible Kitzbuhel change? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What happened with the possible Kitzbuhel change?

+alonso
06-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Last year I heard Kitzbuhel was going to be moved of place! I haven't known anything about!
Any news?

cobalt60
06-04-2006, 10:37 PM
:scratch: I had heard it was suppose to move to Romania. But nothing has been said this year and Kitz is still on the ATP list. Maybe a stadium isn't ready yet? I think Ion Tiriac was involved somehow. But my memory is old Alonso and has started to play tricks on me;)

+alonso
06-04-2006, 10:41 PM
:scratch: I had heard it was suppose to move to Romania. But nothing has been said this year and Kitz is still on the ATP list. Maybe a stadium isn't ready yet? I think Ion Tiriac was involved somehow. But my memory is old Alonso and has started to play tricks on me;)

Thanks Sue :yeah:
I don't want Kitz to be over! :(

NicoFan
06-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Hey Alonso - ask Rosie - she would know why it hasn't moved yet. Its one of her fav tournaments and I think she keeps up with it.

cobalt60
06-05-2006, 12:48 AM
The tournament is still on Alonso. There is an official website and it is celebrating it's 60th year. It is called the Generali Open if you want to check it out.

+alonso
06-05-2006, 02:32 AM
:hug: Thanks Sue! :hug:

Thanks anyway Lynn ;) :hug:

Action Jackson
06-05-2006, 07:10 AM
The basic version is the Mafia man Tiriac is the owner of the tournament and they didn't pay certain things on time and he got the shits with that and this is meant to be the last edition of the event.

*Ljubica*
06-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Hey Alonso - ask Rosie - she would know why it hasn't moved yet. Its one of her fav tournaments and I think she keeps up with it.
Well - GWH pretty much explained it. To the best of my knowledge this is the last year that the tournament will be held in Kitzbuehel. They haven't been paying their bills on time, but as the present contract runs out this year anyway - they decided to just let the contract run til the end and not renew it rather than moving it this year. They have been looking round at Hotels, facilities etc in Romania but nothing has been decided yet - but the fact they have moved the St. Polten tournament to Portschach is to try and keep an event in that part of the world.

And strangely - Kitz is not particularly a favourite tournament of mine though the setting is beautiful (in fact I'll probaby go to Umag instead this year!) - but many of my friends go each year and love it.

Action Jackson
06-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Well - GWH pretty much explained it. To the best of my knowledge this is the last year that the tournament will be held in Kitzbuehel. They haven't been paying their bills on time, but as the present contract runs out this year anyway - they decided to just let the contract run til the end and not renew it rather than moving it this year. They have been looking round at Hotels, facilities etc in Romania but nothing has been decided yet - but the fact they have moved the St. Polten tournament to Portschach is to try and keep an event in that part of the world.

Well I am surprised the mafioso prick doesn't have it in his backyard, then again there are some other things involved as well.

Nathaliia
06-05-2006, 10:53 AM

And strangely - Kitz is not particularly a favourite tournament of mine though the setting is beautiful (in fact I'll probaby go to Umag instead this year!) - but many of my friends go each year and love it.
You should go.... you know where :angel: :)I mean I hoped to meet you :o And instead you're going to Umag and Michelle also said something about going to Umag.

*Ljubica*
06-05-2006, 11:17 AM
You should go.... you know where :angel: :)I mean I hoped to meet you :o And instead you're going to Umag and Michelle also said something about going to Umag.
Yes - I was selling the delights of Umag to Michelle when we were together last week :) A lot will depend on the Entry List of course......As for "you-know-where" - it is still on my list of possibilities because I would like to meet you too :hug:

Nathaliia
06-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Yes - I was selling the delights of Umag to Michelle when we were together last week :) A lot will depend on the Entry List of course......As for "you-know-where" - it is on my list of possibilities because I would like to meet you too :hug:
Something tells me Moya will be on the entry list... I'm not sure, though :spit: :) I hope you both will have fun :hug:

*Ljubica*
06-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Something tells me Moya will be on the entry list... I'm not sure, though :spit: :) I hope you both will have fun :hug:
Well nothing is definate yet - and another friend of mine is twisting my arm to go with her to Amersfoort the week before Umag because she doesn't want to go alone - but - you know me - wherever I go - I will have fun ;)

Mara_M
06-05-2006, 11:25 AM
hey he's not mafia men!he's not italian! and it will be moved to mamaia in the upcoming years cuz they already built the arena :p!

Action Jackson
06-05-2006, 11:26 AM
hey he's not mafia men!he's not italian! and it will be moved to mamaia in the upcoming years cuz they already built the arena :p!

Tiriac is as honest as Berlusconi.

NicoFan
06-05-2006, 10:57 PM

Thanks Rosie! :hug:

And sorrrry...for some reason I thought it was one of your fav tournaments.

I just looked at the early commitments - surprised Nico isn't on it becuase he does well there...but Gaston is on already.

Leo
06-06-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm so sad if this will be the last year of Kitz. It's always been one of my favorite events during the year.

Action Jackson
11-26-2006, 07:41 AM
My German is crap, but there has been some news announced on this.

http://tirol.orf.at/stories/153376/

The latest update on this situation is that the Mayor of Kitz has announced that they have secured the licence for another two years and the WTA are trying to negotiate to play there as well.

Generali might stop sponsoring it and they are organising sponsorship but they have secured the event for another 2 years at least.

+alonso
11-26-2006, 02:04 PM
that's great! :yeah: thanks george

Action Jackson
11-26-2006, 02:08 PM
No probs with that Alonso, but it has been saved for now.

+alonso
11-26-2006, 02:13 PM
it's always a pleasure to watch kitz landscape while nico massu playing! :cool:

Action Jackson
11-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Good thing : That it's not an RR event.
Bad thing: It won't be a best of 5 set final.

Nico Lapentti will be very happy that the event is still going.

cobalt60
11-26-2006, 03:35 PM
it's always a pleasure to watch kitz landscape while nico massu playing! :cool:

Ah the mountains of Austria;)

Action Jackson
11-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Ah the mountains of Austria;)

Yes, it is a beautiful venue and I just hope mafioso doesn't have anything to do with the tournament anymore.

Via Pax
11-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Tiriac is as honest as Berlusconi.

lol! True.

tiptopdaisy
11-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Kitz has the WTA licence. they want to play ATP/WTA at the same time in the future. next year it isn#t possible :wavey: