On Court Tactics That Annoys/Disgusts/Embarress You [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

On Court Tactics That Annoys/Disgusts/Embarress You

raeesa301
06-04-2006, 09:01 PM
A) I loathe it when players call trainers/doctors/take bathroom breaks when they're losing. It could be real, but sometimes it's so obvious that it's not.
Examples:
1. Robredo today
2. Rafa yesterday
It just proves that in that moment they're sore losers. :mad:

B) Coaching during the match is annoying as well. I mean if the player isn't prepared or isn't playing as good as the opponent then they should act like pros and get their act together without the help of their coaches, or lose.

C) I also hate it when players are dishonest. That Henin-Hardenne/Williams thing was terrible. You can't call youself a true champion if you can't replay a point!

D) It's quite funny sometimes when players do things to distract their opponents, i.e arguing with the umpire, grunting too loudly, moving around too much when the person is serving, etc. But sometimes it goes so far that it embarresses you as a fan. I don't mind it when players get emotional just so long as they forced the error or applied the pressure, but on occasions some of them take it to a whole new level!

Anything that annoys you? :p

Nathaliia
06-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Chucho 3 metres behind the baseline, Monfils 3 metres behind the baseline... :scratch:

Ah, you mean different tactics. Perhaps sooner or later somebody will mention Massu and his gathering of towels.

Clara Bow
06-04-2006, 09:27 PM
The thing I hate more than anything is abuse of umpires or linespeople.

Deboogle!.
06-04-2006, 09:27 PM
The thing I hate more than anything is abuse of umpires or linespeople.Or worse, ballkids.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Loads of things annoy me :devil:.....but the main ones are probably:-

(a) That ghastly chest-bumping thing that the Bryan twins do - makes me :mad: just to think about it!

(b) All the heart thumping that people like Monfils and Mathieu do - of course they're playing "from the hearr" - that's what they're being paid for!

(c) Excess shrieking and grunting - especially common in WTA matches which is why I try and avoid them. Sharapova...............:bolt:

(d) Spitting :devil: and players who talk to Umpires and lines people like they are pieces of dirt beneath their feet instead of human beings doing a job.

Clara Bow
06-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Or worse, ballkids.

Yeah, that's the worst. That's one thing that I don't like about Andre at all- he has a rep for being pissy with ballkids. Although supposidly the worst ever was from the WTA- Conchita Martinez.

Seneca
06-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Most annoying thing: Players fetching the towel after every point. Even when a guy makes a double fault. Kiefer and Mary Pierce are notorious for this. Maybe also Massu to a lesser extent.

Tennis is supposed to be a physical sport (along with its tactical, technical and mental aspects) requiring stamina and endurance from the players; somehow I'm not interested in watching guys take one minute breaks between 10 second rallies.

As for the chest pumping mentioned by Rosie, I remember Fab Santoro doing one somewhere around 5th hour of his marathon match against Clement after a spectacular volley. He gazed upon his wife (?) sitting in the stands and made this little thumping gesture with a awkward smile in his face, which his wife answered with a surprised smile and a similar chest bump of her own. A sweet moment if there ever was one. :)

Although if overused, I can certainly see how it could become a pain in the ass.

cobalt60
06-04-2006, 09:52 PM
I only get annoyed when what the players are doing is against others: their opponents, ballkids/linesfolk etc, and the crowd/fans. Disrepectful.

All_Slam_Andre
06-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Definately a player abusing the ball boys/girls. Nalbandian did in the Australian Open against Robredo. He also ignored the Argentinean fans cheering for him during the whole game at the end, despite winning.

star
06-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah, that's the worst. That's one thing that I don't like about Andre at all- he has a rep for being pissy with ballkids. Although supposidly the worst ever was from the WTA- Conchita Martinez.

Oddly enough Federer doesn't have a good reputation with the ball kids at Indian Wells. I was surprised. I like to talk to the ball kids at the tournament. They're kind of fun. But sometimes their minders don't like them to talk to the patrons.

I've seen Chris Evert get bitchy with a ball girl and humiliate her because she didn't have any tennis balls to throw to her. She comandeered some balls from another ball kid and gave them to the girl and said "Now you have some." in a really nasty way. Somehow it didn't help that the ball girl was rather large and uncoordinated. It was embarrassing.

star
06-04-2006, 10:09 PM
I only get annoyed when what the players are doing is against others: their opponents, ballkids/linesfolk etc, and the crowd/fans. Disrepectful.

Sometimes it is a little funny though -- like one time Kafelnikov who didn't like what a fan was saying turned around and quietly said, "Fuck you." :lol:

the linesman told on him and he got a warning.

cobalt60
06-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Sometimes it is a little funny though -- like one time Kafelnikov who didn't like what a fan was saying turned around and quietly said, "Fuck you." :lol:

the linesman told on him and he got a warning.
:lol: That is funny. As I like to keep my posts rather short ( I think many others here just like to "hear" themselves post), I should add that I don't like it when players ignore their fans who have supported them throughout the match. :) If a fan is rude well all bets are off;) Respect works both ways.

star
06-04-2006, 10:17 PM
:lol: That is funny. As I like to keep my posts rather short ( I think many others here just like to "hear" themselves post), I should add that I don't like it when players ignore their fans who have supported them throughout the match. :) If a fan is rude well all bets are off;) Respect works both ways.

I like it when players sign autographs after a loss. I think that's nice. Some player NEVER sign after a loss.

It's hard to say what I don't like because when a player irritates me, it's usually a number of things he does, or his way of being on the court, not just one or two things.

But I'll tell you there's one thing Federer does that consistently gets under my skin: He wins the last point in every $#^$&)($ tournament. :lol: :lol:

Frederick16
06-04-2006, 10:25 PM
at one point today vaidisova was screaming to a ballkidd : BALLLLLL!!!!!! haha the bitch

partygirl
06-04-2006, 10:25 PM
im all for good sportsmanship but when players applaud opponents during the match,
I can't stand that, really.:fiery:

cobalt60
06-04-2006, 10:28 PM
I like it when players sign autographs after a loss. I think that's nice. Some player NEVER sign after a loss.

It's hard to say what I don't like because when a player irritates me, it's usually a number of things he does, or his way of being on the court, not just one or two things.

But I'll tell you there's one thing Federer does that consistently gets under my skin: He wins the last point in every $#^$&)($ tournament. :lol: :lol:
:haha: Yep I agree about the autograph part. I don't mind though who wins the last point of any match;)

Freeze17171
06-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Abusing the trainer rule and calling for them when they are tired and "cramping" and/or stalling and trying to stop the momentum. Conditioning is a very important part of tennis, if a player can wear down his opponent, he should be rewarded.

06-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Andre blowing his nose onto the court.

Coaching

Grunting - male or female

Nadal picking his underwear from his a** - would you shake his hand after the match?

sleeveless shirts on the men and the bare abs on the females

the herpes all over Maria's mouth - yuck!

Julio1974
06-05-2006, 01:06 AM
Gaudio's breaking the rackets particularly irritates me. Especially when I read about those players (like Vasallo Arguello) who cannot afford to lose a racket every day.

Bagelicious
06-05-2006, 02:10 AM
Gaudio's breaking the rackets particularly irritates me. Especially when I read about those players (like Vasallo Arguello) who cannot afford to lose a racket every day.

You can't be a particularly big fan of Marat's then...

dmit424
06-05-2006, 02:16 AM
The only thing that really bothers me is the coaching thing. It's not allowed, so stop doing it. It's a sissy thing to do. This is an individual game and should be kept purely as such. In team sports, it is key for a group of individuals to be able to regroup in a short amount of time, so a coach (leader) is needed to do that. In tennis, the player has only to cope with himself... Coaching is ridiculous. It makes one-dimensional players such as Sharapova look even less mentally agile.