Roger's draw and possible matchups... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger's draw and possible matchups...

faboozadoo15
01-16-2004, 12:43 AM
so far (seeding wise) he could face bjorkman round 3, hewitt round 4 :eek: , and nalbandian in the quarters :eek:

maybe this will be just like houston! i certainly hope so...
i alwys think roger can win any amtch, and i expect him to play much better at the open...

rogicomel
01-16-2004, 01:01 AM
The draw seems so tough on Rogi but he's proved that he played better when nobody expected him to do so. Whatever the draw is, I still have faith in him. Let's hope he repeat TMC performance.

jtipson
01-16-2004, 01:02 AM
I still can't get over the fact that he got all those guys in his quarter, less than 2% chance of that happening.

Oh well, guess Roger will have to "do a Houston", like you say, faboozadoo. At least Roddick has some likely difficult matches too....but why oh why couldn't *he* have got the Hewitt/Nalbandian/Henman trio?

<going to cry her eyes out now>

ytben
01-16-2004, 01:04 AM
yeah, I can't believe it when I first saw the draw. Possible R16 Hewitt and Nalbadian/Henman for QF? It can't get any better no :rolleyes:? Luckily his first couple rounds draw is looking good. LOL, after I saw the draw I also felt dejavu with when I saw Houston's draw the first time. Hopefully the result will be like Houston also :D

ytben
01-16-2004, 01:06 AM
*join jtp to cry* :bigcry:

rogicomel
01-16-2004, 01:32 AM
C'mon guys! Rogi has done his TMC things, he can do it again! Have faith!

ytben
01-16-2004, 01:40 AM
true, true, I am trying to be positive about this. Hopes Rogi will also have positive attitude when he saw the draw. He has done it before when we thought he was a goner for sure in TMC, he can do it again.

GO ROGI!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

jtipson
01-16-2004, 02:03 AM
Well, I'm trying to look on the bright side too. Andy has a couple of stumbling blocks in his draw, particularly in the first round and the semis.

BTW, if Roger wins his first round match, then Andy needs to get all the way to the quarters to stay ahead of him in rankings points.

faboozadoo15
01-16-2004, 02:57 AM
im actually more worried about hewitt than nalbandian....

lsy
01-16-2004, 03:35 AM
wow...Roger :confused:, so unfortunate.

Only wish for same results as in Houston too :D , anyway it's best to come out as winner with difficult opponents, right? ;)

WyverN
01-16-2004, 04:06 AM
it is a little dissapointing his first few rounds are that easy considering he is almost a certainty of playing Hewitt in 4th round this will be similar to DC only Hewitt will not be as pumped up and not have a tennis coach next to him while Roger will not be as tired so I expect him to pull through

lsy
01-16-2004, 04:11 AM
How good are you with prediction WveryN? :p But I certainly hope you're right this time :) I'm getting tired of Hewitt quoting his win over Roger in DC in almost each and every one of his interview recently ;)

Fedex
01-16-2004, 05:30 AM
I would love to see Roger beat him(Hewitt) in Australia, but with his form I dont now how far hell go :( If he gets past the 4th rd. he'll either play Henman or Nalbandian. I still think Nalbandian is a tougher prospect than Hewitt.(Hits the ball much harder & has no real weaknesses). But Hey atleast Roddick got a tough draw for once 2. I could possibly see a 1st rd. upset, against Gonzalez. He hits his forehand with inhuman strength, but the key will be his serve & Return. May all the luck in the world be with Roger.

yanchr
01-16-2004, 05:36 AM
I still can't get over the fact that he got all those guys in his quarter, less than 2% chance of that happening.

....but why oh why couldn't *he* have got the Hewitt/Nalbandian/Henman trio?

<going to cry her eyes out now>

I got exactly the same feeling as you at first glance of the draw
WHY THE HELL......and AGAIN...??? The most weird thing is that he gets them all one by one en route to the semi :confused: :confused:

I talked about the possible draw last night and actually put forward this one as a JOKE...My friend also took it as a joke...Did I jinx him?? Maybe the Australian side heard me?? :scratch:

MisterQ
01-16-2004, 05:42 AM
Hewitt in the 4th round IS a tough task. Of course, that's what happens when a top player like Lleyton drops down below where he used to be in the rankings... Roger got unlucky to get him.

Maybe Malisse will have an inspired performance and take out Hewitt first!

(8)Nalbandian VS QF
Gasquet VS QF
Sanchez VS Moodie
(31)Ferreira VS Hanescu
(22)Calleri VS C. Rochus
Canas VS QF
Sanguinetti VS Stepanek
(11)Henman VS Lisnard
(15)Hewitt VS QF
Malisse VS Kucera
Nadal VS QF
(23)Mantilla VS Ascione
(25)Bjorkman VS Sargsian
Kutsenko VS Reid
van Scheppingen VS QF
(2)Federer VS QF

yanchr
01-16-2004, 05:43 AM
Only wish for same results as in Houston too :D , anyway it's best to come out as winner with difficult opponents, right? ;)

I wish that. If he could pull out those tough wins like what he did in Houston, nothing would be better. But now his form seems not good anyway. So I just would like him to avoid those tough guys. Unluckily they again all stand in his way. Guess they all like him :o :o

lsy
01-16-2004, 05:45 AM
ohhh...so It's you yanchr :smash: Please say it LOUD and CLEAR now that you DON'T think Roger will win AO :lol:

yanchr
01-16-2004, 05:57 AM
ohhh...so It's you yanchr :smash: Please say it LOUD and CLEAR now that you DON'T think Roger will win AO :lol:
:haha:

seems like I'm so good at predictions :rolleyes:
Roger will NOT win it (for jinx)

yanchr
01-16-2004, 05:59 AM
But actually lsy, to tell the truth, I don't think Roger will win it. Hope I'm wrong like Houston.

lsy
01-16-2004, 06:01 AM
THANK YOU !!! phewwww...now I feel so much more confident :p

WyverN
01-16-2004, 06:28 AM
How good are you with prediction WveryN? :p But I certainly hope you're right this time :)

Usually pretty good although not with regards to Federer as I am biased/his unpredictable

I am more worried about Nalbandian then Hewitt though, Nadal is a chance of upsetting Hewitt

yanchr
01-16-2004, 06:41 AM
Nadal is a chance of upsetting Hewitt

Hope you keep up your good tradition of predicting with this.

lsy
01-16-2004, 06:53 AM
Usually pretty good although not with regards to Federer as I am biased/his unpredictable

I am more worried about Nalbandian then Hewitt though, Nadal is a chance of upsetting Hewitt

yeah, all of them seem to be in better form than Roger right now, but what about Bjorkman? Isn't he the one who just beat Andy recently?

Fedex
01-16-2004, 06:54 AM
I would like to add that Federer might not want to play Henman right now. But if he makes it to the QF he'll most likely get David or Tim!!

WyverN
01-16-2004, 07:07 AM
yeah, all of them seem to be in better form than Roger right now, but what about Bjorkman? Isn't he the one who just beat Andy recently?

Bjorkman has a very good return that will give Federer some problems. But gee if Roger is in such bad form that he can't beat Jonas then he does not deserve to go past the 3rd round.

lsy
01-16-2004, 07:40 AM
Bjorkman has a very good return that will give Federer some problems. But gee if Roger is in such bad form that he can't beat Jonas then he does not deserve to go past the 3rd round.

Poor Roger...not only does he get tough draw most times, but some really tough and demanding fans too (assuming u're one since u're biased towards him) too :eek:

Jazzy
01-16-2004, 09:21 AM
wat's weird is he still doesn't have a coach, i thought there would be tonnes of coaches lineing up to coach him!! but he's said that he's not in a rush to get a coach!! wattttt how long does it take to get a coach?!?!??

jtipson
01-16-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about the draw today :) although there is still a puddle on the floor in the corner! It *is* annoying that he has drawn Nalbandian three times in the last five GSes....not quite as bad as Coria/Agassi though - that match-up was drawn in 4th/qf in all four GS last year!

With regard to the 3rd rnd, I don't think Bjorkman poses such a problem for Federer as he does for Roddick. Roger is usually ok against serve/volleyers - he has a better return game than Andy has. And the h2h is 2-0, indoors and on grass, which are also Bjorkman's best surfaces.

It may help if Andy loses before the fourth, as it'll take some pressure off in the battle for number one, and Andy certainly has got some tough ones early on.

If Roger can get through those tough middle round matches, then he has a great chance. And we know he *can*, it's just whether he *will*.

Doris Loeffel
01-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Well guys you pretty much said it all :)

so all I do now is wishing Roger good luck!! (And gee watch out for that qualifer in first round!!)

Jazzy
01-17-2004, 08:54 AM
ne1, now who the qualifier is?!?

Fedex
01-17-2004, 10:12 AM
He plays Alex Bogomolov Jr. From the US ;) Anyone know who he is, & his game??

Doris Loeffel
01-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Well not really ;) all I know is that he's together with Ashley Harkleroad (sp??)

Shy
01-18-2004, 03:32 AM
I think that Federer shouldn't take Alex Bogomolov too lightly.

ytben
01-18-2004, 05:02 AM
Agree Shy. This guy cruised through all his three quali matches. And we know any of these guys can play the match of his life and give a top ten player a HELL lot of trouble.

yanchr
01-18-2004, 09:52 AM
Yeah. Roger often has trouble with his first round opponent, whoever he may be, so Roger should learn to focus from the very beginning and never look down upon anyone.

Shy
01-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Alex Bogomolov Jr can be very dangerous. After all, he easily won in the quali. Plus, he is young .He's barely 20 this might be why he isn't rank very high. Then agin, Roger has more experience.

Jazzy
01-20-2004, 10:14 AM
but, we don't have to worry about him, coz Federer won!!!!!!

Tricky_Forehand
01-23-2004, 09:03 AM
He plays Alex Bogomolov Jr. From the US ;) Anyone know who he is, & his game??

I wish I could have helped you with your question when you asked but I was out of town on a family emergency. I try to never let an opportunity pass by to educate people about Bogie ;).

Unfortunately, I guess Roger gave it to him good in the 3rd set but Alex is a much better player than that.

Dirk
01-23-2004, 10:40 AM
How do you feel about Alex flipping off a fan during the Martin match at the Open and some of the other things he did? Go read the thread in the general messages. Seems like your typical USTA brat to me.

Tricky_Forehand
01-23-2004, 09:54 PM
How do you feel about Alex flipping off a fan during the Martin match at the Open and some of the other things he did? Go read the thread in the general messages. Seems like your typical USTA brat to me.

Read my response to that thread and you'll know how I feel. I have talked to Alex and spent time with him and he's one of the nicest people that I've ever come across. Yes, he has a temper on court and he's very animated, I don't deny that. But I'm not going to dislike him for how he treated someone in the stands. You don't know what that person was saying to him to rile him up (should Guga be disliked for having a spectator kicked out of his match at the US OPEN? Not in my opinion). As I said in that thread, from what I understand Verkerk wasn't giving a whole lot of respect either.

ytben
01-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Hi Tennis724, hopes your family emergency worked out ok. The person who got that treatment is a fellow Rogi fan on the other board. She said that she was merely cheering for Martin when the incident happened. But she did mentioned that Alex seems to be in full body cramp or some sort, so that might explain his impatience and out of character behaviour.
But yeah, we should categorize this incident as a heat of the moment thing, and not judge his character from that incident alone. Fabrice spitted at a lineswoman on his match with Flip :eek:, and from what I can gather that is a really out of character thing for him.

Jazzy
01-24-2004, 07:39 AM
Federer either plays Hewitt of Nadal in the round of 16 on Monday!!

federerfan7465
01-24-2004, 04:18 PM
Federer vs. Hewitt!!! WOW, this should be good, and Roger gets to prove himself once again ( as if he needed to, haha) on a big stage. Hopefully he can bring his A game and ride the momentum wave into the Fnals

Hagar
01-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Wish Roger vs. Lleyton would have been the final. It's way too early to see one of the two go.

Dirk
01-24-2004, 10:03 PM
This is a match Roger should win. His record is disgraceful and he loses because he chokes or mentally letsdown. He better not do that here. Roger should not have too much trouble with Hewitt as long as Roger decides to use free will and stay in the match mentally. Shouldn't go more than 4 sets. I just hope Roger doesn't let us down cause its embarrassing that he has not made the qrts more often in slams.

RogiFan88
01-24-2004, 10:05 PM
Yes, this match s be the final! Rogi, better get your revenge -- this will be your big test!! Pls just beat him at home!!!

Tingu
01-25-2004, 02:09 AM
yeh he's versin Lleyton Hope he wins
BTW r u talkin bout the AO???

WyverN
01-25-2004, 02:22 AM
I just hope Roger doesn't let us down cause its embarrassing that he has not made the qrts more often in slams.

Exactly. Excuses such as "bad draw", "mental instability", "lack of coach" will just not cut it anymore. The guy is 23 this year, mega talented and it is about time he made it deep into the second week of a hardcourt slam.
He just has to stand up and deliver.
It will be close to devestating if he loses in the 4th round of a hardcourt slam yet again. Especially when he keeps losing to guys like Nalbandian/Hewitt who he should be blasting of the court in 3/4 sets.

Fedex
01-25-2004, 06:42 AM
Agreed!

yanchr
01-25-2004, 12:05 PM
Yes, it'll be very frustrating to see Roger lose R4 AGAIN. I can't bear it any more especially seeing him losing to Hewitt AGAIN! But I'd like to add that his draw has always been tough. If only he could've got JC's draw!

WyverN
01-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Whats the point? Even if he and JC swapped draws he still would have to face Nalby or Hewitt in the semis.

If Roger is going to keep relying on avoiding Hewitt/Nalbandian/Henman to win slams then he wont end up with a very big total

yanchr
01-25-2004, 05:37 PM
For me JC got a really easy draw here before semis. Hey, most semis are tough but not most 1/8 or 1/4.

I'm sure most fans would like their fav get an easy draw and there's no exception with me. Anything wrong? Most champions tend to get a bit of luck to make it I think.

Of course it'd be very much convincing and encouraging and exciting if Roger could win it all going through such a draw. And I'd also like to see him win it with those names, Hewitt, Nalbandian, in his victim list. I'm hoping some day maybe after this AO I won't bother any more what kind of draw he gets and what opponents he runs across. But realistically not now.

Doris Loeffel
01-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Well all I can do is wishing Roger good luck!!
Come on you can do it!!
Get those first serves in and eliminate the UE's!!
Allleee Roger go for it!!

Tingu
01-26-2004, 05:28 AM
well if Roger does win he's just gonna get beaten by Nalbandian their head to head is 5-1 to Nalbandian

WyverN
01-26-2004, 07:15 AM
well if Roger does win he's just gonna get beaten by Nalbandian their head to head is 5-1 to Nalbandian

it was 5-0 in december last year

J. Corwin
01-26-2004, 07:20 AM
David seems to be playing really good ball. So Roger will have that daunting task if he beats Lleyton.

rogicomel
01-27-2004, 08:31 AM
One (revenge) job is done. Now for the real challenge vs Nalby. If Rogi passes this, he's unstoppable!

Goooooooo Rogi!!!!

Doris Loeffel
01-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Goo for the next one tomorrow Roger!!

faboozadoo15
01-27-2004, 05:11 PM
here we go rogi! swat him off the court!

rogicomel
01-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Gooooo Rogi, don't break our hearts, pls!!!!!

doc chikito
01-28-2004, 11:29 AM
woohoo Rogi won against Nalbandian.... in 4-sets
7-5 6-4 5-7 6-3

congrats Rogi !!!!! :)

Billabong
01-28-2004, 12:13 PM
YEAH congrats Rogi!!!! Now keep this up, continue! GOOOOOOO FED!!!!!!:)!!!

ytben
01-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Juanqui is next. He is my second fave, but I will have to root for my numero uno Rogi. Win it please Rogi! :bounce:

RogiFan88
01-29-2004, 01:28 AM
:worship: Yay, Rogi does it again!! Great Rogi! Not your best tennis, but why expend too much energy if you don't have to?! Save it for the next 2 matches! ;)

Juanqui vs. Rogi -- can't they both win and become #1?? Nope, too bad!

Marat, beat AA!!!!

rogicomel
01-29-2004, 02:25 AM
No way, there's only one player to become world no.1 and I hope it's the most deserving man to do it i.e ROGER FEDEREER!

GO ROGI!!!!!!

Doris Loeffel
01-30-2004, 11:43 AM
hmmm lets hope Roger has enough will and power left for that last match - just seen a pic that worries me a bit - looks like he feel to his knees after the match which is understandable but I fair that he got what he wanted and might not focus anymore on the final...

....Roger prove me wrong!!!
Allleezzzz you can do it!!

rogicomel
01-31-2004, 04:00 AM
I hope Rogi will prove what he's really made of. A champion with a hungry heart for more majors! mmmm.... it's gonna be a tough Sunday but I'm hoping Rogi prevails.

Can't wait for it! And looking forward to seeing him with another trophy! Goooo Rogi!!!!!!

RogiFan88
01-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Doris, I don't think Rogi has lost focus, on the contrary, now he has his #1 he can put that aside for today's final and really concentrate on winning his 2nd slam... #1 was always secondary to him anyway -- so,

HOPP ROGI!!

Win this slam!!

Hope it's a great final!!

And they better not cut off the ceremony like they did for the Women's Final... :rolleyes:

[since we get some boring Super Bowl preview after the tennis at 1am... :mad: ]

RogiRulz
01-31-2004, 07:37 PM
Hopp Rogi! :bounce:

jtipson
02-01-2004, 06:19 AM
yeah, I can't believe it when I first saw the draw. Possible R16 Hewitt and Nalbadian/Henman for QF? It can't get any better no :rolleyes:? Luckily his first couple rounds draw is looking good. LOL, after I saw the draw I also felt dejavu with when I saw Houston's draw the first time. Hopefully the result will be like Houston also :D

Spot on, ytben. I'm so impressed! Congrats Roger, keep rolling!!

ytben
02-01-2004, 09:29 AM
lol, jtipson, I am glad my self directed pep talk/prediction do come true!

WyverN
02-01-2004, 11:16 AM
So many similarities to houston

Roger showing scrappy form pre tournament, ending up with a horrible draw, most people writing him off, Federer eliminating opposition comfortably round by round
I love it

Doris Loeffel
02-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks Roger for proving me wrong - well pretty similar to Houston only here he was a fav. from the beginning - whearas in Houston not many (unless they were die hard RF fans like we) really belived in Roger.

So now he's proven the world what hes made of and that he can handle pressure as well - that man really has grown up in the last few month.