Who is the better overall player, Stefan Edberg or Rainer Schuettler? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is the better overall player, Stefan Edberg or Rainer Schuettler?

Sjengster
01-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Obviously Edberg wins out in terms of career achievements, but Schuettler has some very decent volleys and soft touches around the net to for a supposed baseline grinder, and his speed and retrieving ability are second to none as well as his hunger and determination for the fight. It's highly possible that Schuettler could be considered a greater all-courter than Edberg in some senses.

What do you all think?

J. Corwin
01-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Edberg wins with his serve and volley game though.

WyverN
01-16-2004, 02:47 AM
Who is the better player overall?
You must be smoking crack to ask that.
Edberg had a wonderful backhand as well as slice and a reliable forehand as well as a far better serve.

He was far more a all court player then Schuettler who overachieved last year.

star
01-16-2004, 03:14 AM
Obviously Edberg wins out in terms of career achievements, but Schuettler has some very decent volleys and soft touches around the net to for a supposed baseline grinder, and his speed and retrieving ability are second to none as well as his hunger and determination for the fight. It's highly possible that Schuettler could be considered a greater all-courter than Edberg in some senses.

What do you all think?

Were you bored, Sjengster?

Just curious if you are one of those younger guys who never actually saw Stefan play. Stefan could stay on the baseline better than Schuettler can volley.

Wyver is correct that Stefan had one of the all time classic backhands that people salivated over at the time. His forehand improved over the years from people pounding it to stay away from his backhand. Sometimes his elbow could get a little bent on his forehand. But, I do recall him making some gorgeous winners with the forehand too. :)

TheBoiledEgg
01-16-2004, 03:36 AM
the q should be was Shuettler good enough to tie Edberg's shoelaces, and still it would be NO.

CooCooCachoo
01-16-2004, 05:28 AM
I think that someone like Federer would come closer to Edberg, but he would still be a long long way from reaching his heights though. That is based solely on the very few matches I have seen Edberg play, since I wasn't that much into tennis yet, when he quit. I do remember I loved his matches! The kind of player I like..

Sjengster
01-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Ah poor Wyvern, you have no concept of the deliberate wind-up thread, do you? And star... yes thanks, I have seen some of Edberg from past matches at Wimbledon and I know that he was generally a pretty good all-courter. Hence my intentionally spurious suggestion.

star
01-16-2004, 03:37 PM
You had me baffled. :)

Lee
01-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Sjengster, when I saw the title of the thread, I knew it would become a Rainer bashing thread. :p

MisterQ
01-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Sjengster, you gave us a scare. I'm so glad to hear that you are still alert and mentally well! ;)

Sjengster
01-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Sjengster, when I saw the title of the thread, I knew it would become a Rainer bashing thread. :p

Don't worry Lee, I was simply trying to annoy TBE by suggesting that his favourite player of all time was inferior to his most loathed player of all time. :devil:

Lee
01-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Don't worry Lee, I was simply trying to annoy TBE by suggesting that his favourite player of all time was inferior to his most loathed player of all time. :devil:

I'm not worry, Sjengster! Quite used to people bashing my favourite players :p

And I can see TBE responded in the way you expected ;)

Ultraman
01-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Edberg, without question.

I admired the fact that, no matter what, he was relentless in his serve & volley. He would get tremendous torque on his serve and would almost always hit the 1st volley inside the service line.

Leena
01-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Silly question... of course, Edberg.

And he was a fine backcourt player as well. His forehand was his weakest shot, but his backhand was beautiful.

thelma
01-14-2005, 05:48 PM
What a question! :eek:

Edberg without a doubt :p

RPH
01-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Edberg's won slams and while I've never seen him play he's done more than Schuettler ever has :tape:

Sorry but what is Sjengster put is :haha: :haha: :tape: :cuckoo: Superb volleyer :bs: :retard: Rainer lost the Olympic doubles finals due to his volleys always ending up netted or a easy target. Hunger :o :lol: Maybe in 2003 Rainer tanked a few matches last year (Seppi 2004 US Open etc) He might run well but he's not going to a remembered player he is. Maybe for his flukey 2003 but nothing else :rolleyes:

heya
01-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Win a slam, Schuet!
Do it for Lee, the most amusing person on Earth!!!

sigmagirl91
01-14-2005, 11:08 PM
the q should be was Shuettler good enough to tie Edberg's shoelaces, and still it would be NO.

Damn straight. Is he even worthy enough to stand next to him, never mind tie his shoelaces?

And ahem....he makes Schuettler's ass-ets look like pancakes.

Chloe le Bopper
01-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Sjengster :haha: Well done!

You see, this is how a faux thread is supposed to be done. Not like those half assed, not even remotely amusing attempts by other posters, who shall remain nameless.

heya
01-14-2005, 11:40 PM
OMG! I just found this thread 1 year later! I am so funny! :eek:

alfonsojose
01-15-2005, 12:52 AM
Rainer :drool:

mitcha528
01-15-2005, 04:03 AM
Is this question for real?

Lee
01-15-2005, 04:16 AM
*sign* Everybody, please, please, please....

PLEASE

Read the posts before you post. There are less than 30 posts. It's not that difficult.

And check the date too

Chloe le Bopper
01-15-2005, 04:22 AM
OMG! I just found this thread 1 year later! I am so funny! :eek:
*snort* I didn't even notice it was a year later. My post still applies :p

Leena
01-15-2005, 04:24 AM
Why was this bumped anyway?

jole
01-15-2005, 04:28 AM
-heya- bribed someone.