Will the grass courts be kinder to Marcos in Germany - Gerry Weber Open - Halle 2006 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will the grass courts be kinder to Marcos in Germany - Gerry Weber Open - Halle 2006

06-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Well Marcos will be back in Germany so we can see how he will do on the grass courts. The Tournament dates are 6/12 -6/18. Pame Marcos :D

thelma
06-03-2006, 03:15 AM
:yeah: :)

LostGlory
06-05-2006, 09:12 AM
I hope so.....he needs the practise....

hawk
06-05-2006, 09:18 PM
From Marcos website:

Marcos is going to Halle on Wednesday to begin his preparation for the grass tournaments. 2006-06-05

06-06-2006, 03:08 PM
I hope Marcos can get his earlier season form back. And start winning some back to back Matches again now that he will be on grass instead of clay.

LostGlory
06-07-2006, 06:55 AM
How is Marcos's form on grass usually/??

hawk
06-07-2006, 08:41 AM
How is Marcos's form on grass usually/??

Marcos played 9 matches (ATP + Davis Cup) on grass within last year with 7 wins and 2 losses.

His best performance was on Jul 4 2005 at Nottingham where he reached semi finals but he retired.

Some people believe that since grass surface is a fast surface, Marcos will perform better than the clay surface. Most grass players prefer short rallies by finishing the point by net approach. I believe that the grass surface suits more to Marcos playing style.

06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Yes it sounds like Marcos should do much better on the grass courts :)

LostGlory
06-08-2006, 07:56 AM
Marcos played 9 matches (ATP + Davis Cup) on grass within last year with 7 wins and 2 losses.

His best performance was on Jul 4 2005 at Nottingham where he reached semi finals but he retired.

Some people believe that since grass surface is a fast surface, Marcos will perform better than the clay surface. Most grass players prefer short rallies by finishing the point by net approach. I believe that the grass surface suits more to Marcos playing style.

I hope so what worries me is that his style is a basliner rather than a vollyer but I'm hoping his speed will help.....Grass is not that stressful on the body as the other surfaces.....

LostGlory
06-08-2006, 08:04 AM
I am too anxious to see him get some form....

hawk
06-08-2006, 08:41 AM
I hope so what worries me is that his style is a basliner rather than a vollyer but I'm hoping his speed will help.....Grass is not that stressful on the body as the other surfaces.....

Yes that’s true. Marcos is not so good from the net but hopefully he will take advantage of his powerful forehand to make winners.

hawk
06-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Main Draw

(1) FEDERER, Roger SUI v Qualifier
Qualifier v GASQUET, Richard FRA
SERRA, Florent FRA v SAFIN, Marat RUS
(WC) WASKE, Alexander GER v (7) ROCHUS, Olivier BEL

(4) BAGHDATIS, Marcos CYP v (WC) PAVEL, Andrei ROM
SCHUETTLER, Rainer GER v SODERLING, Robin SWE
SANGUINETTI, Davide ITA v SEPPI, Andreas ITA
SIMON, Gilles FRA v (6) HAAS, Tommy GER

(8) VLIEGEN, Kristof BEL v WAWRINKA, Stanislas SUI
ROCHUS, Christophe BEL v Qualifier
PHAU, Bjorn GER v MAYER, Florian GER
(WC) KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp GER v (3) NIEMINEN, Jarkko FIN

(5) BERDYCH, Tomas CZE v Qualifier
PASHANSKI, Boris SCG v NOVAK, Jiri CZE
SANTORO, Fabrice FRA v YOUZHNY, Mikhail RUS
CLEMENT, Arnaud FRA v (2) KIEFER, Nicolas GER

06-11-2006, 05:45 AM
Pavel hasn't been having a good year so far. So I hope Marcos can win this Match and get off to a good start :) Pame Marcos :)

hawk
06-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Monday order of play

Stadium (12:00 AM)

Waske vs O.Rochus
N.B 02:00 PM
Nieminen vs Kohlschreiber
Baghdatis vs Pavel
N.B 05:30 PM:
Schuettler vs Soderling

linus
06-12-2006, 10:21 AM
wish Marcos nice win today :angel:

Choupi
06-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Pavel wins. 7/6 6/3. Marcos is playing doubles with O. Rochus.

PamposCypriot
06-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Whats happening with Marcos?

Choupi
06-12-2006, 08:30 PM
From the website of the tournament:

Baghdatis taught a tough lesson on his Halle debut
12 June 2006

The crowd were eagerly awaiting Baghdatis' first appearance in Halle since his march into the final at the Australian Open in January catapulted him into the limelight. But on grass, experience - or the lack of it - proved decisive as 32-year-old Pavel, who lives near to Halle, used his to devastating effect.
Pavel made a lightning start and was soon cruising into a 3-0 lead while Baghdatis was still searching for his rhythm on the serve and pass shots. The Cypriot did claw his way back into the match at 3-3 with his service particularly giving rise to a wave of optimism among the fans - he served seven aces in the first set. However, in the tie-break, he showed some nerves when leading 5-4 and conceded three straight points to lose the set.

In the second set, Pavel once again broke serve early on, this time to go 2-1 ahead. His aggressive net play forced Baghdatis onto the back foot and he broke once again to make it 5-2. It was only then that the Cypriot showed his willingness to fight and broke back.

Since his service was letting him down, however, it was not long before the match was over as Pavel used his first match point to take the set 6-3. Baghdatis rued "the first set opportunities" he failed to take, but took defeat in good humour. "Grass is for playing football," he joked.

:lol: Seriously, I've seen the match. And it really seemed like Marcos was searching for his marks on the court. He was making great shots, but it wasn't constant. The pb was that winners were immediately followed by errors. He needs practise for sure. And his serve has helped him a lot. Amazing the number of times he slipped on the grass.....:eek:

06-13-2006, 04:43 AM
I think Marcos belongs on the hard courts. That's what he seems to like and that is also where he plays the best. Those two things usually go together :) I hope Marcos comes over to play our American Hard Court Tournaments leading up to the U.S. Open :)

kindablue
06-14-2006, 06:30 AM
Whats happening with Marcos?

We have to give him time and hardcourts!!! Maybe he is what you call a late starter.I think his game on clay and grass will improve with experience.Anyway, better luck in Holland Marcos!!!