Interviews and Articles [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Interviews and Articles

{Annie}
05-31-2006, 02:08 PM
French Open sixth seed Nikolay Davydenko answered your questions on the eve of second Grand Slam tournament of the year.

Rafael Nadal, Andre Agassi, Andy Murray, Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt, Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski will all contest the Stella Artois tournament between 12-18 June at the Queen's Club in London - and Davydenko will be looking to beat them all.

Davydenko moved up to the world's top five with some stunning performances over the past 12 months. He knocked Tim Henman out of last year's Australian Open and then reached the semi-finals of the French Open, narrowly losing to eventual finalist Mariano Puerta.

He will be hoping to go one better in Paris this time and then turn his attentions to the grass at the Stella Artois Championships and Wimbledon.

Nikolay Davydenko Q&A

What is your favourite tournament?
Jon Humberstone, England

It depends. I like all tournaments I enter. Any tournament is good if the organisation is good.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In recent years retrievers like Lleyton Hewitt and Rainer Schuettler have struggled to keep in the top 10. How do you plan to avoid the falls these players have suffered?
Myles Harding, England

I think I need to be physically fit for every tournament and for the preparation to be good for the Grand Slam tournaments. I played four weeks in a row and now five or six weeks, which is good.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You seem to be most at ease on hard courts. Do you have a favourite surface to play on?
Prateek Goorha, Australia

I like surfaces that are not so fast. I like clay courts and hard courts like in Toronto and Cincinnati. I don't like the US Open so much.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In your opinion is Federer the greatest in history and can he beat Nadal if they meet in French Open?
DB, Brazil

Roger is the best player ever. On every surface he is good. His play everywhere perfect. He's the number one. I don't think he can beat Nadal here though. It's not so fast - it's not like in Rome. If Nadal is physically good it's tough to beat him.

Which is more important for you: the Grand Slams or the Davis Cup?
Nick Hilton, UK

Grand Slams!

What are your hopes for the grass season especially Wimbledon?
Ilyaas, England (Noemi, this is our Ily!!! SAFINNO1!!!! :lol: )

Before, I didn't know how I'd play on grass but this year I've tried to prepare and play in grass tournaments like Queen's to try and prepare for Wimbledon. I've been running a lot on grass to get a feeling for what it will be like to play on. I think that's important.

What was it like playing in the 2006 Masters Cup and finally beating Andre Agassi?
Mark Witchell, UK

For me it was surprising! I played very well, my confidence was good and I was happy to also beat Gaudio and Puerta.

Potentially you have two weeks at Roland Garros, then a week at Queen's, then Wimbledon. Physically, are you up for the challenge?
Mark Witchell, UK

I try to be ready for every tournament. That means being physically ready, mentally ready and ready to play good tennis.

Your style reminds me of Yevgeni Kafelnikov, did you watch him play growing up?
Haley, USA

I didn't watch him much because he wasn't on Russian television very much. I did see him in the Davis Cup and some Grand Slams but when he was playing well I was already playing.

What do you like to do in your free time during Wimbledon and generally?
Camilla, UK

I don't have free time! I just have tournaments to play in all the time. Before Wimbledon it's the clay court season. Maybe after that I'll have one or two weeks off. I'll try to, although there is also preparation for other tournaments to be done. Maybe I'll go fishing if I get time. I like to fish in places around Europe - like Germany.

Mara_M
05-31-2006, 05:22 PM
lol :lol:!i just remember when they answered sandra's question at tv:p!tahnks for teh interview annichka!

alelysafina
05-31-2006, 07:36 PM
He had to bring up fishing :lol: :lol:

Thanks annie :)

{Annie}
09-07-2006, 09:31 AM
An interview with: NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You play almost every single week. How do you do that?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Okay, how I do? I can prepare before preparation before big tournament. Yeah, for me, important to play some small tournament like New Haven, or Sydney or something like in Australia before Grand Slam. If I play good there, I come into. Like, it's happening.
Like this year I play Sydney semifinal. Come into Australian Open, play quarters. That's was. Play Roland Garros. Win tournament before Roland Garros, play good Roland Garros. It was winning New Haven, feeling good here, it was playing good here.
Because, like, I think confidence for winning tournament or play good. You come in for the next tournament, you have the same ball, same surface that was. And, okay, it was important to win first round in Grand Slam. That's where you play better and better.

Q. The momentum is important from week to week for you. But at the same time, do you ever feel, I need a rest, I have to stop and let the body get fresh?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Sometimes, but...

Q. Not often?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Sometimes take rest if I play many matches, you know. How you say, many matches, if I win tournament or like in the next I come in to semis or finals. But I don't make so much winners like Federer, yeah? Like, he come into tournament, win tournament. And then next week, that's when he take off, like Nadal.
I play quarters, play semis. It's not enough, I would say. It's only three, four matches in a week. That's was come in for the next week, also I have time, I get rest few days, play next tournament.

Q. It's not like you play short points. Your points are long.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah, depends where you play. Depends which surface. Depends which balls. Everything is different.
Yeah, I try to play my game, and my game is longer, yeah.

Q. You have a title in New Haven, but in Toronto and Cincinnati, you didn't play so well. Why?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Why? It's only one reason like why I didn't play. After, like, say change from hard court to clay court, also I losing three weeks in a row first round coming from a hard court and prepare for the clay court. I need I think some weeks, like two weeks should be was enough.
Like after winning Sopot on clay, coming to Toronto, losing first round. And Cincinnati was also first round. It was two weeks practicing of hard court and come in already to New Haven feeling better and better.
Moving. Movement very important of hard court. Because from slicing of clay, and good to run of hard, is completely different.
And change games. Change everything was important also.

Q. So are you concerned about the change of surface for the Davis Cup going on to the clay? That clay is going to be pretty thick and indoors and all that.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah, we get a clay court and indoor. That was for us important because against Americans, we need to play of clay. Because Blake and Roddick should be like is for sure of hard court get play better because faster, and Roddick get good serve.
For Blake, I think for us, everybody how you say Safin, me, play good of clay court. That was should be different game.
But for us, also difficult changing from hard court to clay.

Q. Are you surprised how easy it was this morning?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: How I say surprising? It was not surprising because I was just because every point was difficult, really. Because we play, he can win also many games because was breakpoints. He get chance also to win game. It was try to have concentration every point. That's was all time was close. It was 6 Love. It, like, was game.

Q. What's your evaluation of Murray as a player?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I was surprising. Normally, I think I should be play faster. I think he was go some big serve and coming to the net. That's was he still from baseline play really slow. And running from baseline of hard court it's was I was surprising because hard court I think make some winners or something, play faster. He just play some try to make long rally. For me, was okay. For me, was great.

Q. December of 1995, one of the great moments in U.S. Davis Cup history. Pete Sampras on clay.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Uh hmm.

Q. Beating the Russian Davis Cup team. Where were you when that Davis Cup tie was held? Did you watch on TV?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No. '95, I don't remember. For me, was I don't care about Davis Cup Russian.

Q. Is there in Russia with Russian tennis fans a feeling that this is the moment for revenge for that particular time?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Is different time. I would say was Sampras, was Agassi. It was great player. No. 1 in the world, No. 2. It was completely different. Coming to Russia, okay, we get doesn't matter which surface, because Agassi win like Roland Garros of clay. It's you never know what's happen, you know.
Okay, for us also tough now on clay to play at home, because we play at home. That's was maybe for us easy to play in America because you don't think about you need to win; you just play like easy. Like, for sure, like team we get already. Safin, me, any team should be we play matches there.
Like, yeah how you say? you never know what's happen before matches, yeah? That's was I cannot tell you now ahead of time.

Q. Because of the rain and the schedule here at the Open, we're in a situation where you might play four matches in five days. What's your thinking on that? Do you think it's something that should be changed? Like the other Slams have a day off between the semis and the final.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: You know, I never come to the semis or the final. That's was why I don't care about changing. I play now normal. Like I play, I get day off. I play, say like play Wednesday, and then I play Friday matches. So always I have one day off normally. Today was only finish set. Should be I play tomorrow match, yeah?
It's okay. It's tough. Guys play, Safin and Haas, yeah, play all match today and should be tomorrow already play match. Recovery is not so great.
But how you say? like it's weather, you know. What we can change here in a Grand Slam? Because we get two weeks, and still rules. You play, you have one day off. Is still rain. You need to play every day. That was we can't do anything.

Q. Which is your best shot, here (pointing to head), here (pointing to heart)?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I think it's more important movement in the court. I think if you move good in the court, running good. And good control from the baseline I think is best what I get now.

Q. There is a large number, a high number of Russian people living in this city. Do you feel their presence when you come to the US Open?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I never see so much Russian here at US Open. I think Russian don't care about US Open in Brooklyn (smiling).

Q. Andy Murray was just in here. He's coming off of a very successful hard court season. Yet in his press conference, just having gone out 6 0 to you in the final set, he said he played, he thought, one of his best matches in the season, and that the reason you took him was you were just simply too good. He had no regrets with the way he played. Again, he said you were simply too good. Just assess the way that you feel you are playing right now having made it to the quarterfinals.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yesterday was different match. Yesterday we play both good, yeah? Today was completely different. I think we was both nervous because from beginning match he makes start from double faults. Because he never did before, yeah?
We play more slowly today. Not like some winners. He try to keep ball back. I try something to do. But this was different. It was because for me important to win last set. For him, coming like back, he need to win two sets. That's why today was tough.
But I try to play good. I try to do no mistake in the court. That's was fight every ball. Concentration, every ball.
But say it was good match, but not good enough, I would say. I think yesterday was better.

Q. What do you think he needs to do to improve his game?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: For who?

Q. Murray. What does Murray need to do?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know. I am not coaching for Murray. That's why he get Gilbert. Gilbert need to improve him for the next season.

Q. Last year was the first year you made the Tennis Masters Cup. Can you talk about how special it was to actually make it and to be there for the first time, what you felt.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: You know, it's like in your career, like you feeling you reach Masters in Shanghai. It doesn't matter where. It's like last tournament of year. You come for top eight players, to best play in the world. You come in there. It's something different. You feeling you are good player with this moment.

Q. You feel like you really arrive, or made it?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah, yeah, make it for all season, for all years. End of the year, you coming to Masters, it's very good.

Q. In previous round you beat the Polish guy Lukasz Kubot. What can you say about his potential, his weak points.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: How what I can say? I can't explain anybody like players. Just say he was reach third round in US Open. It's good for him, because he good. He make good points. He could become top, top hundred player. It's good for him.
I cannot tell like now. Because I see him in Sopot, he losing first round. What I can say? He need to play good, improve every week to play good. Then I can say he was good player.

Q. Do you have the game, do you think, at this point and the maturity to see yourself going to the finals and maybe even taking this tournament?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: You know, I don't want to go to the final. I need to prepare to quarters. I don't know who's coming, Safin or Haas. Because Safin, I lose already in hard court two times, but three sets. Haas, I beat, but in clay court. That was different game. Different match should be tomorrow.
Both guy play faster. It should be completely different. Both guy, good serve. I think it should be already tough to returning service. You never know.

Q. Are you as confident as you've ever been?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Confidence is good for me. I feeling okay.

Saumon
09-08-2006, 08:10 PM

Q. How meaningful is this victory? You were down two sets and you came back and fought so very, very hard. How meaningful is this victory to you?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't think about anything. I think I can lose in three sets. Because Haas play well, great serve, I have not a chance to break him before. That was 6 4, 7 6. He just service, easy, you know, was for me. And every time in the third set was tough for my serve. I play so many from baseline. I try to fight. Come back. That's was I get all the time pression.
Then was only one break. That's it. I win in third set. I was surprising myself because he didn't make first serve, or only one return, and then that's it. He make from second serve, and I returning, I winning from baseline these points. Winning game. Then winning set.
And then is the same was in the fourth set.
But, you know, it's how you say? maybe it's a lucky day, because I, beginning from first and second set, play not so good. Like against Murray, I play better. That's was maybe 'cause weather was different. Was sun. Was balls fast. Spring higher.
Was a little bit tough for me today because Haas yesterday play of center court also. For him, was already five sets he play against Safin and was feeling good center court. That was for him, I think, should be kind of win in three sets. That was surprising.

Q. He called you a ball machine. What do you call Tommy? How would you describe his game?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: You know, I didn't call nobody, you know, for the players. Sometimes guys surprising me, and if I play against this guy, you know, if some I know this player because I play against him before. Like he was playing very great from baseline. Because normally, like how I play from baseline, I try to play well. That was my important thing in the game, just hitting balls and good control, and do no mistake.
Haas play very well from forehand, and it was tough for me first to assess slice for him. I did so many mistake. That's why he won in break and he won games.
But then play better and better from my side.
But I don't know how say. Haas, five sets, killer, huh? For guys he play before. He beat Safin 7 6 in the fifth. That was I thinking about now five sets against me. He can, you know, try to come back, already at 5 2. But it was lucky, I think, by 5 4 I win my serve.

Q. Did you talk to Marat before the match at all about Tommy?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No, no.

Q. Do you guys talk in general? Do the Russians kind of hang around?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: In Davis Cup.

Q. What?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: In Davis Cup.

Q. In Davis Cup?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah. If we practicing together. It goes like hitting five minutes, go drinking, you know, water (smiling).

Q. This is an incredible accomplishment for you, but to the American public, we don't know that much about Nikolay Davydenko.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Is good for me (smiling).

Q. What are the special things about you as a man that have led to this accomplishment and made him special?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I think it's important how you say? Russian, is tough to say. Only one thing, if I say like I living in America, or I have residence America, maybe can be, should be completely different, you know. But I don't live, not yet. That's was still Russian, yeah, that's why for American is not important Russian players.
Because Sharapova say, she's Russian, but, yeah, she live in America; she's famous in America, because she was young, she's coming here in America. Every time is talking about she's American, yeah? Passport, just passport Russian, but she's American already.
That's was like I would say for US Open. It's important I think American player most. Just I see on TV everything was because like Roddick, Blake. I think it's important for the men's was here.
I didn't see so much Federer on TV. You know, he played of grandstand. He is No. 1. He is the favorite here. He won US Open. But is not so much famous here also. That's was from my side, I am go zero. That's was okay. Maybe I little bit like more in Europe more famous because I play good there.
Yeah, if I keep good result in America, if I play more tournaments, Miami, Indian Wells, playing better and better, maybe I should be famous already in America. Like for me, last week, New Haven, winning, already coming to US Open semis. I think, in New York, I am already famous.

Q. You make a good point. Still, my question, to reach this far into the tournament is extraordinary. What are the qualities that you have that have brought you here that make you special as a person?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Uhm, I don't know how I say. Maybe I need to win Grand Slam. That's was to be famous most.
Because Safin was No. 1. He won Grand Slam. He won US Open. He won Australia Open. That was coming from famous. I don't so like who care about, you know, Davydenko. Doesn't matter top 10. But he didn't win Grand Slam. I was not like No. 1, you know. Is not like I don't think about, like, some management make promotion and make something famous guy, because I don't think is so perfect. You need to do something in the tour. You need to win tournament, or you need to be No. 1 to be famous. Doesn't matter where.

Q. How does this performance rate in your career?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: You know, now, like I would say was important to me still top 10 player in this year, yeah? Because I was finish 5 last year. Was great. I make semifinal.
Already, I finish already top 10 in this year. That's was maybe I can reach to the Masters in Shanghai. It's also important for the second year.

Q. You are an extremely consistent player, especially ground strokes and high pressure situations. How did you develop that skill? Is that something you always had from childhood, that focus, or is that something you had to really learn as you were maturing as a player?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Uhm, I think it's was all time I was young, I was playing everything, fighting, you know, play from baseline, try to do something. But I was skinny. I still I think skinny, you know.
But already I am moving better. Like moving in the court is important. Like I running good. Good control from baseline. It's from my side, it's very important. Not to be tired. Not to get some cramping in the five sets. It's I was surprising. I was play three hours, and I was feeling okay.

Q. Yesterday against Andy Murray you showed such zippiness, aliveness, really good placement of shots. Today we didn't see quite that same kind of figure. What was it about Tommy Haas that curtailed that?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Uhm, you ask about match, different match about Murray and Haas?
Maybe Murray play for me, it was better because he hitting faster and I was playing faster back. Haas was I think it was different weather. Because was sun and ball was little bit faster and higher, spring higher from hard court and center court. That's was he make a little bit more topspin, Haas, and was tough to control this ball from baseline. Very good slice from backhand, was very fast. That's why I do so many mistake. I was surprising myself from way I can't first two sets, I can't do anything. I was so many mistake. Can't do anything for control.
But then it's was maybe I lose so much power in first two sets, because I try to concentration more and more. Like do some mistake, and concentration more, because why I did? That's was but against Murray, I play good, you know. Like from baseline, I feeling more better.

Q. Nikolay, many American fans may not know your game. You have been remarkable in the Grand Slams this year. You've been to two quarterfinals in Australia. You took a set from Roger. You took him to two tiebreaks in the third and fourth sets, played him very, very tough. How will that help you if the very likely possibility will occur that you will play him next? How will you use that to help you in your strength, in your mind?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: You know, it's like everybody ask, How you can play against Federer. Like, physically, why Nadal beat Federer. I think because he fighting every point. He running every point. Because Federer try to make winners, and Nadal play back. That's why he running, try to good control and still, you know, in position.
That's why I play in Australia against Federer. It was tough match, yeah? But I lose, yeah, I lose in the third and fourth sets tiebreaks. I have so many set points. I think is, you know, every year you get in the mind something thinking about, Why I losing, you know. Maybe is in the future you already better and better.
Maybe if you have set point, you do something different. You learn something. Try to make winners. You just keep it's like, we talk about maybe coaching, you know, because coach see every match, yeah, how you play. He just say to you for the next match, that's was I don't know, against Federer. It's depend how you feeling already. If I come in semifinal and play against Federer, if I play if I feeling well, you know, if I have great feelings backhand, forehand, running good, yeah, just I think should be in the mind.
You need to think you can beat him. Not like he's No. 1, he's, yeah, that's was important only in head.

Q. As far as your mind and your mindset, I mean, there's got to be a feeling, you've been to a Grand Slam semifinal, two Grand Slam quarterfinals, and now to a semifinal here. Is there a point at which you say to yourself, Yes, I do belong here, I do belong playing the Roger Federers, the Nadals, the top players of the world? Yes, this is proper for me to be here?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: You know, how you say, I didn't play so well of hard court. Now I prove I play better and better. I reach semifinal US Open of hard court. That's, for me already something special. Because Rebound Ace, different surface. Roland Garros, clay court. Here, hard court, American hard court is different, yeah? Completely different. That's was I did something special level already for me. That's was I played well already at the US Open. That's what's in my mind already. I can play good in hard court. That was maybe in the futures. I feeling already better and better. I play on Rebound Ace good, I play on clay court and I play on hard court. Only one I'm thinking grass court (smiling). Just I need to, you know.
But my coach say, How I play now on hard court here in America should be the same you need to play in Wimbledon. That's was. Because is changing games. Is really change. Clay and hard, different game. That was for me important. Faster change to surface, and play well.

Q. Despite what happens in the next match, can you say already that you're a different player right now than you were coming into the US Open, in terms of confidence, your faith in your ability?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I am different player for the hard court, I would say. I feeling I can I play very good of hard court already.

Q. Who was in the box next to your brother?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: My girlfriend.

Q. Girlfriend?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah.

Q. Curious about the Russians doing so incredibly well in tennis. The women, of course, have done incredibly, incredibly well. The men are doing better and better. What's the development of tennis like in Russia for the men and women? Is it different? Is it similar? Give me some idea, your own opinion.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: You know, Russian how you say? Russian tennis completely different for us because we have different for us. Just meet only in Grand Slam. We have not so much tournament. I think, okay, it's Miami and Indian Wells also together. But we have different tournaments. We have different organization, yeah? Complete different tennis. That's was woman like WTA organization make for, you know we don't know. We don't know anything about women tennis. We meet here. We know we are friends like, you know, from Russian girls. Just we spoke together.
But not like something special.

Q. What's the main difference between players that went to the semifinal one year ago to Roland Garros and the one who's gonna be playing here the next days, mentally? You feel you're going to be much more confident, not that nervous? What's the main difference between the players?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Semifinal, yeah. You know, how you guys say? Like if Federer, say, reach semifinal, he think about, I need to win US Open, because he's No. 1, he won already here.
For me, I reach my best result I make now here in semifinal, yeah? Just I need to come to the court, get fun, you know? Like not be nervous for the semis. Maybe also, you know, thinking about, I can play good, I can also win this match. That's was maybe the futures important. Because not like, Just get fun coming, you know. Losing three sets and then come back, you have already semifinal is enough for me, yeah?
But also I try keep play better and better. I prove myself I try well. That's we'll see what's happen on Saturday.

Q. Where are you based now? Where are you training?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I train in Germany still, by my brother because he live there. It was for me easy coming from Europe because I play so many tournament in Europe. Coming there for a few days, just practice there.

Q. Have you considered going back to Russia to train there at all?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Never. Just we get Davis Cup and tournaments. That's it.

Q. Why? Why not train in Russia?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Because we have, hmm how you say? I don't say like bad about Russia. But it's not like something special if you come to Russia and you have you can practicing there. You have not so perfect for the players. That's was for me easy. It's flying far away, because three hours to Europe is already tough. That's was in Germany, like in Europe, like doesn't matter.
So many players Russian practice in Spain. That's was easy to fly somewhere in Europe because so many tournaments then in Europe. Is easy.

Q. How did you turn this match around today? You looked like you were beat after the second set.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know. It was like this (snapping).
I was I can't tell you how. Just was, you know, same position. Was everything played the same. Just was maybe lucky one breakpoint. Like this I win the third set (snapping). The same was in the fourth. And again, again.

Q. Just talk quickly about Davis Cup a little bit. You're in America and you're making us afraid now.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah, good (smiling). Good for us.

Q. Are you thinking about that at all? What's your impression?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Only one thing I can tell. We play of clay court. It's completely different tennis (laughing). That's was we both play not I think everybody come to clay from hard should be not so great tennis, you know. From US Open, come of clay. That's why we'll see what's happen in Moscow (smiling).

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

alelysafina
09-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks Saumon! :wavey:

Mara_M
09-08-2006, 08:39 PM
novels to read :lol:

{Annie}
09-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Kolya is blogging this week from Beijing :banana: :banana: :banana:

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/AnnieRussia/Kolya/davydenko_blog1.jpg

Phew, I made it to Beijing!

After my semifinal loss to Roger Federer at the US Open on Saturday, I immediately made my flight and hotel reservations. I had planned to fly from New York to San Francisco with American Airlines, then onto Beijing.

When the car took my girlfriend and I to the airport at 5:30am things were going well. Arriving early, with only a reservation form and no tickets I went straight to the check-in desk.

Then things started to get difficult. At the desk the girl told me, "You lost your reservation yesterday. You do not have a flight." Undettered, I responded, "No problem, give me something different." "Okay, we have something for 11:30am," she said.

Having arrived at 7am I needed to wait four hours and finally got on a 16-hour flight to Tokyo. Unable to sleep, my eyes were red as I watched six different movies. Switching planes to Japan Airways, I slept throughout the four-hour journey.

We finally arrived in Beijing at around 9pm last night and were surprised to see that my two bags of clothes had arrived safely. The organization was great as a car was waiting to pick us up and when we got to the hotel, we didn’t need to check-in – just like at the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai last year.

I slept well in a perfect suite and woke at 6am. We ate a great breakfast at 8am and then ventured out to a supermarket just 50 meters from the hotel where we bought some chocolate and water. Although there are plenty of Europeans at the hotel, none of them seem to venture outside. Perhaps they are scared?

The flights and the time differences do take it out of you, but if I have proper rest and prepare for each match then I can play a lot of tournaments and feel okay. The time difference between here and New York is 12 hours so today it is tough for me, but I will try to sleep better tonight and then maybe tomorrow I will be okay.

While I may not make it downstairs to the hotel dinner and reception at 8pm, I am looking forward to exploring Beijing. We’d like to see the Great Wall of China and my girlfriend is particularly keen to do some shopping.

I’ll write more after my first match tomorrow.

Nikolay

alelysafina
09-12-2006, 11:02 AM
*dies!*

This is too awesome!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Scotso
09-13-2006, 08:19 AM
:D

linus
09-13-2006, 12:01 PM
to enjoy the 2nd entry please :rolls: :rolls:

OMG, no words from me :haha:

btw, pics and some funny things will come after i finish watching Mario' match :wavey:

{Annie}
09-13-2006, 12:36 PM
New blog entry :rolls: :rolls: :rolls:

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Hello again. After my first post yesterday, I went to practice and then did a photo session with Rolex. By the time I got back to the hotel I was very tired!

My girlfriend, Irina, then gave me two choices we either go somewhere or go to sleep. To stay in her good books, I choose the second option.

We asked directions to a shopping mall and, not realising it was a 30-minute journey, headed off in hope of finding some good bargains. By the time we got there we didn’t feel like buying anything. Having walked around for 90 minutes looking in shop windows we decided there was nothing.

Irina stopped to buy some sunglasses and tried on plenty. A further thirty minutes later, I was almost asleep! At this point some Chinese girls, who were trying to sell some products, asked if I was a tennis player. I signed some autographs and posed with them for photos.

By the time we got back to the hotel I had 15 minutes to change my clothes and head down to a cocktail party in the hotel, which was a presentation with the tournament director and sponsors. Irina didn’t go she went asleep straight away.

I spent an hour down at the party and tried to eat some food, but was distracted from my meal by autograph hunters. It is safe to say that I went to bed with very little in my stomach. By 9:30pm I was fast asleep.

Irina and I have been together for three-and-a-half hours… oops! That’s not long! We’ve been together three-and-a-half years. We first got together when I won in Estoril [in 2003]. It was the first time she had come to a tournament, and I won! That was surprising. Irina comes from Chelyabinsk, to the east of the Ural Mountains, and works in Moscow having finished her psychology studies last year.

Now Irina travels with me every week. She didn’t travel in Australian back in January, but now she’s full-time. Irina provides me massages. If she isn’t here I get a Russian physio. But I don’t like that too much.

Irina helps me from going crazy at tournaments. If something is bad at a tournament, we spend more time together and don’t think about wanting to go home and rest. It’s one of the reasons why I play so many tournaments. If my family and girlfriend are here then I’m fine.

The people in Beijing have been very hospitable. It’s my first time here and I don’t think I have ever got such VIP treatment. In the United States and Europe the organization is different. Everyone comes to me here like I am so famous and organize the best things for me.

I played my first match early this morning and it went okay. Prior to the match I went to the tournament doctor because I was experiencing breathing difficulties, like asthma. I have found it tough to breath here. I tried to get the job done quickly, so a two sets win was good.

Tonight, my girlfriend is in charge of arrangements. I don’t know. I think we will just rest on our second full day in Beijing. Perhaps we will use the hotel swimming pool, the sauna and have a massage. While we like Chinese food, I don’t think it won’t be a good idea after a swim. So maybe room service.

Nikolay

I am still dying at the first picture and it's been hours since I saw it first :lol:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/AnnieRussia/davydenko_blog2.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/AnnieRussia/davydenko_blog3.jpg

alelysafina
09-13-2006, 05:03 PM
:lol: :lol: I love this entry!

:haha: :haha: to that picture!!

Scotso
09-13-2006, 09:42 PM
I love it! He needs to wear that on court. :D

Mara_M
09-13-2006, 10:00 PM
:spit: it's not dima's blog but wow,kolya can be funny too :haha: :angel:

{Annie}
09-14-2006, 01:58 PM
And here is a new blog entry :)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/AnnieRussia/Kolya/davydenko_blog4.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/AnnieRussia/Kolya/davydenko_blog5.jpg

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Hello. After my first match and press, we came back to the hotel to rest. I asked Irina what we would do and she said: “nothing”. No shopping. No trip around Beijing.

We decided to spend time at the gym. Irina ran and I used the sauna and swimming pool for a few hours. By the time we got back to our room, we didn’t want to go anywhere and got room service before bed.

Today, I woke up at the same time, 7am. Like normal people, not like tennis players! We had breakfast, but were then unsure of what we were going to do all day. So I went to the gym again and ran for 20 minutes, used the bicycles just to get in shape for tonight’s match. After all, my match is at 7pm.

I prefer playing during the day, because sometimes you don’t feel great in the dark with your serve. I think it is tough to play under lights, you can’t see the balls clearly. If I play a lot of night sessions, like in New Haven, every day, then it is okay.

With not a lot to do, we had our first lunch at the hotel and it was surprisingly good. A buffet, like I have never seen before. There was every kind of food from different countries. The calamaris were great and the seafood unbelievable. It was amazing. There was everything there that you could wish to eat. With a full stomach, after lunch I tried to sleep. But couldn’t.

I forgot to tell you. I got a special gift from the tournament on my arrival at the China Open. It’s difficult to explain, but I’ll do my best. It’s my name in Chinese on special paper, calligraphy paper that I can put on the wall. Someone said the guy who did it was the best. The other thing isn’t a gift or a present, but my treatment here at the hotel and club has been great. If I stay longer maybe I’ll have another present?

You might be thinking with a big Davis Cup semifinal tie against the United States coming up, next week, is my focus on that? The answer is no. My mind is only on this tournament in China. I am only interested in what I do now. The tie is in Moscow, only a four-hour time difference. The only problem I foresee should be changing to a clay court surface. But I don’t need to concentrate on that now. I will just relax and take it easy. I have got match wins under my belt and my confidence is good.

If I lose tonight, I have all day tomorrow to see everything in Beijing! The Chinese Wall and everything that I want to see. We will see what happens today. Wish me luck!

linus
09-14-2006, 04:03 PM
i just wanna say Kolya really feels good in Beijing :cool:

Scotso
09-14-2006, 04:53 PM
He's so awesome. I think I'm in love. :hearts:

alelysafina
09-14-2006, 04:58 PM
:lol: :lol: He's playing with his sea food!

Once again great blog! :yeah:

linus
09-14-2006, 09:45 PM
well, some girl noticed me of that... if you havent read Kolya' press transcript... to click by yourself here... his of R2 will come soon :)

http://www.chinaopen.cn/s2006/06mediaen/index.shtml

alelysafina
09-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks Tosee :) :hug:

Saumon
12-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Ile Maurice: Davidenko - après l'effort, le réconfort

L'Express (Port Louis)

6 Décembre 2006
Publié sur le web le 6 Décembre 2006

Azmaal Hydoo
Port Louis

En attendant l'Open d'Australie l'année prochaine, le Russe, qui vient d'offrir à son pays une deuxième Coupe Davis, a débarqué à Maurice, hier. Il participera à un match-exhibition jeudi à Petit-Camp.

Nicolay Davidenko et son épouse Irina ont été accueillis hier par Akhtar Toorawa, secrétaire général de la Fédération mauricienne de tennis.
Oracle Content & Collaboration

S'il n'a pas encore le charisme d'un Marat Safin ou la réputation d'un Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Nicolay Davydenko est pourtant bien de la lignée des tsars russes de la petite balle jaune. Un modèle de régularité

Après une superbe année 2006, il a confirmé qu'il était l'un des seuls, avec Rafael Nadal, a pouvoir suivre la chevauchée infernale du maître du circuit Roger Federer, récoltant les quelques rares lauriers que le Suisse a laissé tomber de son escarcelle.

Pourtant, à sa descente d'avion hier, en provenance de Dubayy, on avait du mal à deviner que sous le sourire timide de cet étalon russe de 25 ans se cachait le numéro 3 mondial, qui venait à peine de savourer sa superbe victoire avec l'équipe russe de Coupe Davis, face à l'Argentine (3-2), pas plus tard que dimanche

Dépaysement total pour ce natif de Severodonezk (en Ukraine), vêtu d'un pull noir et d'un jean hier, propulsé du froid de Sibérie au climat tropical mauricien. Mais après avoir consenti tant d'effort cette saison, il a bien mérité un peu de réconfort, accueilli par le secrétaire de la Fédération mauricienne de tennis, Akhtar Toorawa, et Kris Napaul.

Même si on a tout de suite senti qu'il n'était pas une bête des médias, Nicolay Davydenko n'a pas caché son intense émotion et sa joie d'avoir remporté la fameuse Coupe Davis dont rêvent tous les tennismen.

"Aider la Russie à remporter la Coupe Davis pour la deuxième fois de son histoire c'est un grand résultat", explique-t-il. "C'est un grand plaisir d'être à Maurice et je suis déjà très surpris de votre accueil. J'ai hâte de voir comment c'est "

Accompagné de sa femme Irina, qu'il vient d'épouser, et de ses parents, le joueur russe aura du temps pour découvrir notre île puisqu'il logera à l'hôtel Shandrani jusqu'au 22 courant.

Après une année très réussie, Nicolay Davydenko mesure le chemin qu'il a parcouru : "J'ai vécu une grande année 2006, sans doute ma meilleure avec cinq victoires dont les Masters de Paris et enfin la Coupe Davis. J'espère faire mieux l'année prochaine et pourquoi pas me rapprocher de la place de n° 1 mondial."

C'est qu'il n'a pas chaumé notre intéressé ! 69 victoires et cinq titres (à Portschah, Sopot, New Haven, Moscou et à l'Open de Paris Bercy) dont deux finales perdues (Estoril et Batsad), c'est énorme quand on sait que Roger Federer n'a laissé que des miettes à ses adversaires cette année

Un constat s'impose dès lors. Les poupées russes que sont Maria Sharapova, Dinara Safina and co, après avoir porté à elles seules le drapeau russe à bout de bras pendant des années, ne sont plus seules désormais. "L'équipe russe est très forte en effet", nous répond Davydenko. "Que ce soit chez les hommes ou chez les femmes, nous sommes au sommet."

Pourtant, le tennis masculin a longtemps cherché un second souffle en s'appuyant désespérément sur le génial mais inconstant Marat Safin. Désormais, il a trouvé son métronome en la personne de Davydenko.

Un joueur qui ne joue pas les stars parce qu'il ne paie pas de mine de prime abord, mais qui est très régulier, comme en témoignent cette année ses quarts de finale à l'Open d'Australie et à Roland-Garros, ainsi que sa demi-finale à l'US Open.

Nicolay Davydenko : voilà l'exemple à suivre pour les jeunes loups comme Mikail Youzhny et Dimitry Tursunov, qui a aussi participé à la victoire russe en Coupe Davis (vainqueur avec Safin en double) et qui est également attendu à Maurice jeudi. Un match-exhibition avec Marinne Giraud est prévu jeudi après-midi à Petit-Camp ainsi que des entraînements quotidiens de 11 heures à 13 heures. Mais n'oublions pas que les tsars russes sont avant tout ici pour leur plaisir. La cerise sur le gâteau d'une saison bien remplie.

COMMENT JOUE-T-IL ?

Pour ceux qui n'ont jamais vu jouer Nicolay Davydenko, un simple clic sur le net, sur le site de wikipedia, vous renseignera vite. Il faut savoir que le Russe base son jeu sur "sa rapidité d'exécution : campé sur sa ligne de fond de court, il prend la balle très tôt et fait courir ses adversaires d'un côté puis de l'autre. ( ) Mais le plus impressionnant chez ce joueur, c'est sa résistance, sa faculté à enchaîner les matches et les tournois : il fait en effet partie des seuls joueurs du Top 50 à jouer régulièrement plus de 30 tournois en une saison ! ( ) Fort d'une grande solidité du fond de court, ses seules failles sont son jeu au filet souvent approximatif, et peut-être parfois son service. Cette dernière faiblesse est par ailleurs largement compensée par une qualité de relance exceptionnelle. Nikolay est un joueur polyvalent. Cependant, sa surface favorite reste la terre battue, où il a indéniablement réalisé ses plus beaux matches et surtout remporté le plus de titres".

http://fr.allafrica.com/stories/200612061192.html
It says how very humble he is and they are happy to have him in Mauritius. They called him the russian stalion :haha:

He's there with his wife and his parents and they'll be joined by Dmitry later. (Dmitry must have joined them now)

alelysafina
12-12-2006, 11:01 PM
It says how very humble he is and they are happy to have him in Mauritius. They called him the russian stalion :haha:

:haha: :haha: :haha:

I hope he and Irina are enjoying their honeymoon :D

{Annie}
01-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Open-Davydenko apologises for Sydney comments

MELBOURNE, Jan 16 (Reuters) - Russian Nikolay Davydenko has apologised for comments he made about last week's Sydney International after pulling out of the tournament through injury.

The world number three, who ground out a routine 6-2 7-5 6-2 victory over Argentina's Sergio Roitman in the Australian Open first round on Tuesday, said he had not intended to criticise the warmup event in Sydney when he described it as "small". He was fined $10,000.

"I made some comments after Sydney International which I now regret," Davydenko said in a statement. "My English is not very good and I didn't mean to say anything bad about the tournament.

"What I was trying to say was that while the Sydney tournament was important my main focus was on the Australian Open and it was wise to stop because of my injury.

"At the time of the press conference I was very worried that my injury would force me out of the Australian Open and I didn't express myself very well.

"I would like to apologise to the tournament organisers and the fans who support the event so well. I now want to focus on doing the best I can in the Australian Open."

Davydenko, the number three seed, cruised through the opening set against Roitman but trailed by a break of serve in the second before fighting back to take it.

The 25-year-old Davydenko, a quarter-finalist at Melbourne Park for the last two years, was never threatened in the third set but wasted two match points before clinching victory with a rasping forehand winner.

"Today was perfect for me," Davydenko told reporters.

{Annie}
01-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Open-Iron man Davydenko grinds down Berdych

MELBOURNE, Jan 22 (Reuters) - Third seed Nikolay Davydenko wore down Czech Tomas Berdych to seal a 5-7 6-4 6-1 7-6 victory and reach the Australian Open quarter-finals on Monday.

Russian Davydenko was outplayed by the 13th seed in the first set but his unerringly consistent game gradually nullified the 21-year-old Berdych and he clinched victory on his fourth match point in exactly three hours.

Berdych saved three match points at 5-6 in the fourth set to force the tiebreak but he made two unforced errors to give Davydenko match point and another mistake sent the Russian through to the last eight.

Davydenko will play German Tommy Haas for a place in the semi-finals.

{Annie}
01-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Open-Don't put your shirt on Davydenko

MELBOURNE, Jan 20 (Reuters) - World number three Nikolay Davydenko's search for a clothing sponsor shows no sign of ending despite interest from a Chinese company.

The Russian wore a plain red top provided by his racket sponsor in his Australian Open third-round victory over Fabrice Santoro on Saturday in stark contrast to the logo-laden kits worn by the likes of Chilean world number nine Fernando Gonzalez.

Davydenko was asked at a news conference if any deals were imminent following reports at last year's Masters Cup in Shanghai that a Chinese company was interested.

"At the moment, no," the 25-year-old said. "I will be starting a contract from this year but not with Chinese."

Davydenko, who reached the U.S. Open semi-finals last year usually wearing a plain shirt, is the only player in the world's top 10 without a clothing sponsor.

Jimnik
01-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Q. There was very little in the match as far as stats are concerned. Where do you think you lost it?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I think it was -- okay, it was bad luck because I get match point from second serve and he return just fine from baseline. But I don't know what's happened then.

Okay, it was mistake I didn't give chance to play this point. But then he play well. Like by 5-4 he just hit from baseline so fast and I have no chance.

Just I to try to fight just to get control from baseline. But I play slow, pretty slow here. That's why he gets every time coming to the ball and hitting ball make some winners coming to the net.

I have no pressure to him. He make pressure all match. That's why he won in the five sets. But normally should I know why the reason he play very fast in the first set and then second set and third like giving up two sets like this and then fighting start in the fourth set. That's why it was already a little bit different.

Q. How disappointed are you?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Not so much, just because like it was different game. What was different between US Open and here. Yeah, from my side, normally I need to play a little bit more faster. I did so many mistake from baseline. He beat me from baseline. That's why I was surprising.

I need now to more -- now, okay, take rest after Australian Open and just try to consideration for practice for my baseline control and a little bit play more faster, more confidence to get from baseline. Today was different.

Q. So it was to do with the tempo of the game. He had a quicker tempo than you did?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah. He was get tempo, yeah, faster. This was for me normally get no chance.

Q. How do you rate his chances in the semis?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know who against he play. Nadal or González, and fighting the same. Nadal play fast from one hand, and Gonzalez also play forehand fast.

They both make good top spin from baseline. Haas should be play if he get good serve and hitting few balls fast he get a chance to winning semis, but not like today, play good one set and then losing easy two sets try and then try to fight in the fourth. Maybe a guy like Nadal doesn't give it. Just trying to winning in the four sets.

Q. What did you make of having Hawk-Eye available on a match point?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally like I try to be risky. I don't know why it's was -- should be try -- you know, I know why I did do mistake. Normally I just return second serve back and then play from, you know, just play baseline.

But at match point I want to make winner from backhand. That's was my stupid mistake. Because I didn't make in the match like I make no return winners in this point.

That's why he hitting to the backhand top spin, and I try to push -- like losing a little bit ball, just try to hit long line. It was stupid from my side.

Q. We're only at the start of a very long year. Do you believe that as the year goes on you can genuinely bridge the gap between yourself and the top two?

visit our archives at www.asapsports.com N. Davydenko - 24.01.07

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Because depends how I start to play tournament and how is my -- how I improve my game. Normally, what I did in -- here in Australian Open I didn't something surprise myself. I didn't something do well from my side. My serve was not great.

Okay, baseline, I always play baseline control. I have guys three round is no special, not like fighting, winning in three sets. And then Berdych playing in the fourth round was like fighting already. Here in Australian Open just come, I don't know, like play only baseline and nothing else.

That's was coming to quarterfinal but didn't improve anything. Just every match think about what I did and what needed to for the next match, how I need to play. I play every match the same, every round. Nothing special. I didn't improve anything in Australian Open for my side.

Q. Did you notice what Tommy was saying after the third set? He was speaking to himself.

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Uh-huh. I was surprising. I think Haas coming crazy. Speak by self in the match because nobody's talking. He say something, talk, just he talk, he can't play in Australia anymore good and something like this.

I was surprising what he talking about changing games.

Q. Did that irritate you any in any way when you were sitting on your chair and heard what he said?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No. Just only one time he talk too loud. It was surprising.

Q. Just on the rankings, it is important for you, do you believe to protect No. 3 and cut the gap between 2 and 3?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Maybe protect Top 10 is already good, you know, still from my side. Like, okay, it's great if I do Grand Slam result like semifinal, quarterfinal, or final. Then end of a year you just coming to Shanghai and you prove how you play Masters there and what I did. I have Paris, and then I come from No. 6 to No. 3. That's just one weekend only one tournament, and then you have big ranking.

Q. Airness is French?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yes. It's coming contract I think after -- I think from next tournament, from Marseille.

Q. You are happy with that?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Happy, yeah. I get clothes for free for three years. Yeah, happy.
I liked his last answer. :lol:

I didn't know what to make of his answer to "Did that irritate you..?" He said no but then he said it was just that one time when it irritated him :confused:. That was definately the turning point of the match, when Haas had that long loud rant.

lilimi80
02-22-2007, 03:40 PM
:wavey: an article from sports illustrated website. i hope it wasn't posted before!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/02/21/davydenko.bag/index.html?section=si_latest

No one like Nikolay
Meet Davydenko, underrated No. 3 player in the world
Posted: Wednesday February 21, 2007 10:57AM; Updated: Wednesday February 21, 2007 11:24AM

He's the third-ranked tennis player in the world and yet he could walk around your town for days without being recognized. In fact, he could probably walk around his town for days without being recognized. But that's about to change.

As promised, this week's mailbag (some of it, anyway) will be devoted to Nikolay Davydenko, or Ni-Da, as he's known in hipster circles. To consolidate so many of your questions, we interviewed the guy and tried to get a sense of the man behind the mystique.

The concept "lost in translation" echoes throughout this conversation. But I think you'll agree that this is a man with a q-rating waiting to explode. Nike, Coke, Microsoft, Google, unfurl those endorsement contracts while there's still patch space on the guy's sleeve. The world is on notice: It's Davydenko Time.

SI.com: What would you like people to know about you?

Davydenko: I'm from Russia. I live in Germany most of the time because my brother lives there. I buy a house there, too.

SI.com: You can do better than that.

Davydenko: I like fishing. I was just in Mauritius. I got married last year.

SI.com: You mentioned fishing before your wedding --

Davydenko: I caught a tuna and barracuda, but no marlin. I was fishing every day for three weeks.

SI.com: So congrats on the endorsement with Aimess.

Davydenko: Yes, it's a new company. A new sponsorship for me.

SI.com: This isn't just free gear, right? You're going to make some cash here.

Davydenko: Yeah, I'm gonna make some money! For three years! I still have Prince rackets.

SI.com: When will we be able to buy an Air Davydenko?

Davydenko: What you mean?

SI.com: Is there a shoe endorsement, too?

Davydenko: I can play in whatever I want because [Aimess] doesn't make shoes. I get some shoes from different company. But I have to like the shoes, you know. I can't move in Nikes! The new models, what I get, I don't like them. In Adidas, same. So I try some Filas Dmitry Tursunov gave me. Diadora too. I try different ones.

SI.com: So the No. 3 player in the world isn't buying his own shoes.

Davydenko: I buy if I like them. Normally, every company gives me shoes, I don't have to buy. But sometimes I like the old models and I buy those. Why not? My foot is more important than [free shoes] for me. I don't care. It's important that my feet are comfortable.

SI.com: Who's your best friend out here?

Davydenko: Nobody. I'm with my brother and my wife. That's my team. In tennis, if you're a singles player there are no friends.

SI.com: Are we going to see you play 30-some events this year?

Davydenko: I'm starting not so bad! But we'll see how I feel in the middle, how I finish the clay-court season. If I make big results at Monte Carlo or Hamburg, maybe I rest, play less tournaments. [Pause.] But maybe not.

SI.com: Seriously, what do you think it is? All the players want to shorten the schedule and you want to work overtime. Is it your body, your game?

Davydenko: I like to play. I like to spend time at tournaments. I have no kids. My wife comes with me. This is what I need to do: play tournaments. Why not all those weeks? Especially if my wife is with me, why go home?

SI.com: Does she work with you at all on a professional basis?

Davydenko: She's a psychologist.

SI.com: Right. Do you ever say, "Here's what I was thinking at 5-5 in the fifth set"?

Davydenko: No. Never professionally.

SI.com: You're No. 3 in the world. What do you make of your profile?

Davydenko: Maybe making this interview will help!

Is Davydenko a purist? The man [has few endorsements] and is likable for all his misfired English comment about a tournament that supposedly no one cared about. He is so shortchanged in the tour for years now. For one, during the Australian Open, he got no exposure. Was that a punishment for that one bad tournament comment? I root for him most of the time. He deserves so much better for his dedication.
-- Grace, U.S.

I absolutely agree. At a time when most stars want to play fewer events, here's a guy who plays every opportunity he can. He's completely devoted to his craft. He trains as hard as anyone. He's upgraded his game. If his ranking is perhaps inflated by his sheer industriousness, so be it. The guy works hard and he gets ahead. He's not tanking matches or gaming the system. How do you begrudge him?

As for his exposure, I think there are several forces working against him. First, he's a late bloomer and most companies want Next Big Things, not overachieving veterans. Second, he is, in essence, a man without a country. Third, he has the audacity to speak imperfect English. Fourth, his game isn't particularly sexy, the way, say, Fernando Gonzalez's is. (Still, the guy is the No. 3 friggin' player in the world!)

This would be a good time to mention, too, that the above interview was conducted perhaps 20 minutes after he lost a heartbreaking five-setter to Tommy Haas in the Australian Open quarterfinals. Players aren't good guys and bad guys based on how they respond to media requests, but I think Davydenko's willingness to cooperate and his self-deprecating answers were revealing.

If talent and work ethic are the two primary factors that account for a tennis player's ranking, what percentage of each of those factors would you ascribe to account for Davydenko's ascension to No. 3 in the rankings? What players currently outside the top 20, who have never reached the top three, could attain that ranking if they had Davydenko's work ethic?
-- Scott Humphrey, Austin, Texas

Obviously, work ethic is trumping talent in this case. But I would add "physique" as another factor in Davydenko's success. I don't care about his listed weight, the guy can't possibly tip the scales at more than 160 pounds. We're talking Petr Korda on Atkins. This might compromise his power but he's very light on his feet and, if not immune to injury, at least well-positioned to avoid wear and tear on his body.

Is it true that Davydenko stole Marcos Baghdatis' girlfriend last year?
-- Chris Davis, Boston:rolleyes: :o

That rumor had been floating around last year -- the source has been traced to a dashing British tennis scribe -- and it's completely not true. Maybe it stemmed from this article by Ian Katz of the Sun-Sentinel during last year's Nasdaq:

"When you see Nikolay Davydenko you think, 'This guy's No. 5?' With his fair complexion, triangular face and thinning blond hair, he looks like a computer hacker who gets caught sending viruses from his parents' house. ... That's probably why he was upstaged by Camille Neviere, the girlfriend of Australian Open finalist Marcos Baghdatis, during the first day of practice. ...

"On the court next to Davydenko's, Baghdatis is hitting with 18th-ranked Dominik Hrbaty. Of the 40 or so people sitting in the stands, only one -- Neviere -- is wearing a black dress. Anyone who watched this year's Australian Open on TV would recall ESPN2's love affair with the French model. As Baghdatis and Hrbaty are hitting, some fans are watching the ball move east and west. Other fans, mainly young men, are watching Neviere. Even fewer are watching Davydenko, the fifth-best player on the planet. Davydenko, however, won sweet ironic justice: In a third-round match Sunday, he beat Baghdatis 7-5 in the deciding set."

My girlfriend thinks maybe Nikolay is an unreconstructed Marxist, and he has eschewed the excessive profits of clothing endorsements for political reasons. What do you think? Surely he could have a contract if he wanted one, but he chooses to keep his bankbook in the manageable seven figures.
-- Aaron G. St. Peter, Minn.

First, if you found a girl so into tennis that she's devoting gray matter to Davydenko's political and philosophical leanings, marry her immediately:lol:. But if Davydenko is a Marxist, Kafelnikov is a socialist. No one who plays 40 weeks a year and has the attitude, "I need to make my kizz-ash while I can," (we paraphrase) can be accused of being a Marxist. ("We have nothing to lose but our best-of-18 result Dusseldorf.")

Did you know that the name Davydenko is an anagram of "Deny Vodka?" Perhaps this has something to do with Nikolay's training regimen.
-- Matthew, Pretoria, South Africa

Nice. But there goes the likelihood of a Stoli endorsement. And here I thought Martina Hingis' anagram -- I am tarnishing -- was as good as it got.

OK, we return to "normal" questions next week.
[...]

Ivan H. of New York City saw "the guru" and sends this week's long-lost siblings: Davydenko and Paul Bettany. "Ironically, Bettany starred as the unseeded Wimbledon winner. And Nikolay's results on grass have been more than desirable."

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/02/21/davydenko.bag/look_davydenko.jpghttp://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/02/21/davydenko.bag/look_bettany.jpg

alelysafina
02-22-2007, 08:46 PM
:lol: :lol: Great interview :yeah:

Thanks for posting it lilimi :D

lilimi80
02-23-2007, 10:49 AM
you're welcome!

SLICK
02-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Davydenko beats El Aynaoui 6-7(2) 7-5 7-5. Full match report and press conference quotes.

http://www.inside-tennis.net/index.php?action=news&id=2477

{Annie}
02-28-2007, 10:04 AM

alelysafina
03-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Our Kolechka is a giver! awww

SONY ERICSSON OPEN
Miami, U.S.A.

March 18, 2007
Davydenko, Schneider Support 'Feed The Children'

© Sony Ericsson Open
World No.4 Nikolay Davydenko and Sony Ericsson WTA Top 20 player Patty Schneider visited Crandon Park Track in Miami during the lead up to the 2007 Sony Ericsson Open. The duo teamed up with tournament staff and volunteers from America’s third largest international charity ‘Feed the Children’ to help load more than 347,000 pounds of food, beverages and personal care products into 14 trucks that will be distributed to more than 50 hunger relief agencies across South Florida.

This year’s Sony Ericsson Open marks the eleventh time that Feed The Children will be involved with the tournament. Over the past 10 years the tournament has supplemented more than 16 million meals to over 163,000 families at an estimated value of close to US$5 million.

“It’s important for the players to take an interest in what the tournaments are doing for those that are less privileged than ourselves. We have the luxury of always knowing that food is going to be available for us, so it is good that the tournament is helping promote this charity and helping the kids of America,” said Davydenko in between loading one of the trucks.

Feed The Children is an essential partner to the national, state and local organizations it works with. Feed The Children reaches 50,000 partner agencies made up of feed centers, homeless shelters, churches and other charitable organizations that depend on it to help provide food and other necessities to the children and families most in need in their communities.

Tournament Director Butch Buchholz commented “We at the Sony Ericsson Open have received tremendous support over the years from the South Florida community and this is an opportunity for us to give something back."

Davydenko will take on Thailand’s Danai Udomchoke or Germany’s Simon Greul in his opening round match on Friday or Saturday.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/news/2007/feed1.asp

linus
04-01-2007, 10:02 AM
here is the Kolya interview video made on 24th March in Miami, down from the AMS tv site :wavey:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=E14B1A2E5078A54E

{Annie}
04-03-2007, 03:23 PM
http://guyfromrussia.proboards48.com/index.cgi?board=tournament&action=display&thread=1159442245&page=23

scroll down that page a little and look for dina's post. There's a pre- DC match interview ;)

linus
04-04-2007, 02:41 PM

see this video: http://www.rogepost.com/n/4542887760

wanna know what happened in the end of that :aplot:

alelysafina
04-08-2007, 03:03 AM
Thanks Tosee :hug: :hug: and Annie :hug: :hug:

Kolya
05-23-2007, 06:39 AM
May 11th - http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2007-05-12/k.php

{Annie}
06-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Day 13

An interview with Nikolay Davydenko - Friday, June 8, 2007

Q. It was very close today. Do you feel any big frustration?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I feel more like, it was, how I say, it was pretty tough match. It was physically tough and mentally. Because we both play fast tennis, and he played fast, I tried to play fast. But I know I have not enough power for all match, that was. And important points, if he get like, you know, if he have important points, he have more concentration and just he tried to finish in this one. He tried to win.

And by my important points, I'm losing. So not always, but more. Today was many points, important points I'm losing. That was the match was close, but close not for me, for him. That was like he won.

Q. Does it leave you wondering what you have to do to beat him? You had a lead in all three sets, and he just somehow manages, even when he's not playing that great, to come up with the victory.

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah, like I get in second set, I serve for the set, in the first set. And first set, I was at break chance, and like, I have break, and like my serve.

But in some different, like, games, or some, like, one point by 4-3, he just broke me in the first set. He did something. He changed tennis, little bit changing, and I was surprising. And it was tough for me. Because he was always play top spin and won, just few points he start to play slice, and returning slice, short points to, like, and I need to move more, and, like, I did mistakes.

And that was he broke me in the first set, mentally a little bit. And this was pretty tough to, you know, come back and play the same good, like baseline in the second and third set.

Q. What did you think when he shot his incredible ace with second serve at 5-5 in the tiebreak?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Lucky. It was lucky, because good kick top spin, but to the line and from the lines bring ball fast, you know. That was the ace. If he was not on the line, I would have more chance, you know, to returning.

Q. Despite losing, does it give you some encouragement, because you played him really tough and close, probably better than maybe the previous outings?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No, today match, for me, from my side, I proved more like how I can play, like, against Federer. I did today well. Like normally with these points what I did today, play fast, and I think it was good way. But it's not enough. This was -- I did -- I was tired. I lose my concentration in some important point, and I losing games and I'm losing sets. That was in every time what I was starting, you know, to just normal.

Like, if everybody see you, I just only need win my serve, and I can win set, you know, match. But I didn't. This was -- yeah, in important points, I think, was not for -- I don't speak about for all match, I speak for few points, you know, close, where I can win match.

Q. Can you talk about the beginning of the match, because you were so faster? It was possible to go on two sets like this? Three sets like this?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Maybe I did mistake. I was starting to play fast from my serve and returning. It was -- I also fighting in return. It was all time I have. I always changing the return, winning return by first set. And I losing so much power. And that was with this one.

And in the second set, I was already more tired. I need to know how I need to use my power longer, not just for one set. And then, like, didn't play any -- have no chance, you know, to play second or third set. Yeah, this is -- yeah. I would say I have power, but not enough. Normally, I need to get more.

Q. You spoke about how Roger was able to change his game. Is that one of his best strengths, and is he the best in the sport at changing his game plan and at switching tactics?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah. Normally, a good player, very good players always changing something in like tactic. And he have, in important points, like, he have last match point, and he did, you know, returning slice shot. It was already, you know, interesting, because he tried to do something different. If he have no chance to play like this, he changing something, like make slice, or different point. This was -- yeah, that's why he is No. 1.

And if I have chance by break him, like Love-40, and he make three aces, you know, so good concentration by first serve, and always doing a kick, good kick to the lines, and I have no chance to returning. Yeah, he is, like, good player.

Q. So it's difficult just to keep up with him?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's not like -- yes. Like, I play, and, like, we always play from baseline, try to make winners. And Roger have, like, Love-40, and come in, only make serve, didn't lose so much power. And like, still, you know, winning games with the serve, just with serve. This is very good.

Q. Did you feel that you made him, you made -- Federer looked like he struggled, he struggled today? And do you take some comfort that at least you made him struggle? You weren't rolled over 6-2, 6-2, 6-1. It was a really, really tough match. Does that give you some kind of encouragement?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I was coming to the match, not like losing 6-2, 6-2, 6-1, yeah. I was trying to make my game, and I did. I just try to play what I like to do. I beginning play fast, and I was try to play more faster. But if I losing my power, I try to do better and better, but I can't. You know, how possible, you know, if you're tired. You're losing concentration. You're losing power. And you stay on the court, you think, Now what I need to do?

You play against a guy who play fast, but you have no power, you cannot run right-left. Then you try to change something, but, you know, better just go from the court, like, stop match.

But, yeah, that was important, yeah. Maybe I am not so strong enough. I need to be more stronger. I'll try (smiling).

Q. Some players start to get angry, they start to crash their racquets and swear, and, you know, whatever. But Federer keeps calm. Does that get to you as a player, that you just don't know what he's thinking or what he's going to do?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Not only is he good mentally concentration for every point, this was -- he's still quiet, you know, on the court. But in important point, he have more concentration. He just try to win this point. If not, he tries next one.

It was -- yeah, this way what he play always, is I think the best way for the tennis, for winning matches, like, always concentration and be quiet on the court.

Q. Did you feel any trouble with your back today?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: How you know? I have trouble already many days ago, but, you know, it's like if you're already running on the court and you're tired, you know, then you have some little bit problem, you're painful everywhere. You know, yeah, some painful. But I don't want to say now I'm losing because I have back pain, foot pain, knee pain, everything pain. Everybody has is painful. But you need to play, and you need to stand, you know, on the court and try to win matches. Doesn't matter what you're feeling.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2007-06-08/200706081181320434437.html

{Annie}
08-09-2007, 11:29 AM
N. DAVYDENKO/J. Nieminen

6‑3, 7‑6

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO INTERVIEW

Q. How was your foot today?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's better because we get good protection here for the match.

Q. What kind of thing?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's like I make before match physio, ATP physio, make like don't feel so much pressure of the ‑ how you say ‑ finger ‑‑ toes, yeah.

Q. Is it a blister, a cut, a bruise?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No, I have stress factory (sic). Make MRI in the clinic.

Q. How close were you to not playing today?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's was should be decide ATP doctor and here ATP physio after like, say, the examination.

Q. How does it feel now after the match?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Winning match feel good.

Q. Is it an injury that will need you to take some time off at some stage?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally I don't know how is it bad because doctor don't say me anything if I can or not play. If I have no pain, I can play. If I have pain, I need to examine again to be more like go to the doctors, see again.

Q. What is your reaction to the whole thing that came out last week?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Disappointment, because like I'm top player and, like, people talking not only like, say, in Russia, in my country, is talking everywhere in the world.
Is pretty tough for me, get more pressure now for this tournament. Mentally, it's pretty tough.

Q. What has the reaction been from other players? Have they been supportive towards you?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know. I come here and, like, is still the same by the other players. I don't see any different between what's before and now.

Q. How did you first hear about it? How did it come to your ears?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Next day, Friday, I come to Germany to do examination for my foot, and that's what I was surprising.

Q. You read it in the newspaper or somebody called you?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: My manager call me for next day.

Q. Have you been interviewed by anybody from the ATP or from the betting agency about the situation?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No, not yet.

Q. How has it affected your preparation for this tournament?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Uhm, normally after my injury I didn't know how I can good preparation for here, for Montréal, because for me was first very important to be examination my injury and then to play. I just was don't think about winning today or not, just try to play. If I can finish match, it's good. If not, okay.
Just was testing for first match.

Q. You said it was disappointing for this story to break. Did it affect your preparation at all? Was it a distraction?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yes. Like say, like you feeling already like coming for this week, you know you have little bit pressure from press like, you know, try somebody to find you, try to make some question about what's happening there. That's was for me pretty tough in this moment.

Q. Have these last couple months been probably the most stressful in your career, the most trying period?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I think yes. After Wimbledon I didn't win no match. Every week I try to win matches. I try to make result. And like losing three weeks in a row first round is also pretty tough for me. That's was I losing my confidence also.

Q. What is your reaction in general to the idea that somebody would throw a match?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally I don't know. I was before already injury before my match. But normally I was ‑‑ it's so surprising. Like who can know I can be injury and I can retired in my match?

Q. Not just you yourself. But in general, in the sport, is it a surprise to you to hear that people might be making money from players with injuries, losing deliberately?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I think now tennis is most popular because you have singles player. It's not like team, like soccer or basketball, something different. But I know like maybe it's different business to make easy money. That's was tough to say something about this.

Q. Some players have said they've received phone calls from people offering money to throw a match. Have you ever received a phone call like that?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Nobody know my numbers. Also normally ATP call only to my manager or to my brother. Nobody from Russian Federation know my numbers also. Because numbers have only private people, like my family or my manager, my brother. That's it.
Before my number get many press. That's what I really change in last year like this. I don't want to be somebody call to me and make some questions about match or something like this. Try to get in hotel, just calling me in my room, but my wife always by phone (smiling).

Q. You've never been in contact with anyone like this?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally, no.

Q. How would you explain it?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Explain?

Q. There seemed to be a lot of betting right during the match, so it was very unusual. Do you know how or why that would happen?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally who knows if like injury to be? Only me and my wife already before tournament. That's was I already didn't know if I can finish first match there and how I get my painful there, that's it.
I start to play. If I feel okay, if I can finish match, is good for me. I try to win. If I cannot finish match, if I losing match already, I cannot finish, I am retired. That's was I don't know how can people know about, you know, my injury.
Okay, maybe by practicing see or, you know, physio know. But I don't know who know else I was injury in this moment.
THE MODERATOR: Do we have further questions about today's match or his next round?

Q. Along that line, considering what you've gone through, what does that say about yourself, that you were able to get through a pretty difficult match?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I would say I'm professional player. I try to preparation for every match. Doesn't matter what's happening in, you know, my life.
Normally it's pretty tough. You know, it's something in your inside happening. But for me now in this moment, try to make some result here in Montréal because I need to get points for Shanghai. If I do some well result, I can finish also top 10 this year. It's for me very important.

Q. Did you find it at all unusual you were playing on such a small court, being that you're a high‑ranked player, considering everything that's gone on?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: That's was is changing. I was lucky, like Blake retired, changing courts. My brother come to ATP say, Please changing from 5 to 9, because court is little bit different between 5 and 9. It was we have time for like finishing second set. We spoke with Nieminen. Okay, we can play Court 9.
But lot of matches of center court, Court 1. I don't know, maybe tomorrow play Court 1 (smiling).

Q. Did you have to get a lawyer just to help you?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally nobody tell about me, you know. That's was with company don't say I person who did this thing. If this company, you know, Betfair or something like this, say I'm person who did this, then I do lawyers, then I do against this company. But I don't see with reason now somebody get against me something. That's was for this reason I don't need lawyers.

Q. Is there any way that you can think of to stop this kind of thing happening?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Now we spoke about ATP and we try for in the future to protect me, you know, about this reason. Last year I losing many tournaments also first round. Now also happening because I play 30 tournaments in a year. Last year I lose 10 tournaments first round, and also sometimes I'm injury, I'm retired in the match.
That's what in the future I would like, you know, somebody to protect me from all these reasons or something like this that's happening.

Q. What's the difference in the courts, from 5 to 9? Why did your brother say the court was different?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Because I was practicing in Court 2, 6 and 5. 5 was for me like two times practicing. I say, This is different, like pretty fast court. Ball spring very fast. I say I feel is different between Court 2 or Court 6 and 5. I say is pretty tough to play rally.

And then I know for next day, I play Court 5, I was laughing. I say, Only this court is pretty tough for me, very bad for me, and I play of Court 5

{Annie}
08-17-2007, 07:44 AM
August 15, 2007

Q. Second set he saved two match points and forced a tiebreak. Did you feel like he was playing better, or did you feel like your game was slipping a little bit?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No. Maybe I was a little bit nervous. Like 6 4 on my serve and I try maybe just to make one first serve fast and finishing, but it didn't helping. He returning well second serve and I was feeling a little bit, okay, like how I say nervous by baseline and losing baseline both always. He play really better baseline and I didn't control well in tiebreak and I losing.

Q. How important is this week do you think to just get the focus back on your tennis, the on court stuff?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: For me, important I think like now all Masters Series what I did in Montreal quarterfinal and here, because I don't need defend now points. Now I have some points like I'm very happy to get points here like for Shanghai also, and I also need to defend US Open semifinal. Every point very important for me in the moment.

Q. Has it been harder to focus on tennis since what happened, or not really?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Normally it was disappoint in Montreal. It was very tough over there, because after the tournament they come. But now I played all week here and now it's quiet. For me it's very nice to really concentration on the tennis, like do the same job what I did before and like play every match just concentration just for tennis.

Q. How hard was it last week to do that?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know, like how explain. Especially just mentally, very tough was mentally. But I was playing good, that's why's I make like winning two matches there. I was already happy in Montreal, how good I did.

Q. Are you hopeful the investigation will be over soon so the people won't talk about it anymore and you'll be cleared?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It would be good if like already was now it's quiet and like and nobody talk about it and I'm already happy. I don't know. We're in America. It's different country. I think it should be okay.

Q. When you look at today, six of the top seeds lost. How does that open up the draw for the remaining guys like yourself?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's pretty tough to play here really. Like because from Montreal coming here it's very hot and ball fly more faster and not so good control from the racquet. Some guys like who play before very well here, he still play well.
Because like if you did one, you know, time winning like final winning like Roddick, feeling great here, make good serve and playing well from baseline, he do good job.
Some guys cannot play very well here. It's pretty tough. Every match is very tough. Doesn't matter if you winning one round you can lose in second. Because it's like some guys if very feeling good here baseline and serve then can win. That's why I think many guys is losing here.

Q. How many days have you been able to practice? When did you get here?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I coming Sunday, Monday. Have two days before my match like no, start Monday, Tuesday. Like three days I have prepare here.

Q. Was that enough time, do you think, to get used to the courts?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's pretty tough to see like how many days you need to here prepare, because it's only I thinking in America very fast. I don't know why, but control is pretty tough. Difficult to control ball here.

Q. How did you feel you played today then against Ginepri?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I was okay, Ginepri play also did many mistake from first set and second. But we play both not so great tennis, but I would say did win guy who make more concentration, put ball on the court, do not so much mistake. It's nothing like make special great tennis.

Q. Be consistent.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah. Just play, like do less mistake you won match.

Q. How is the toe injury? How is your toe? Does it feel better?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Toe, you know, it's interesting thing, because ATP knows already and doctor of ATP knows I have stress fracture in the bones, and it's still stress fracture. I send also CD with MRI to Germany and doctor say it's also the same, what everybody find.
I did good protection in Montreal. Like always I do some I have no, like how to say, not so much pressure in the toes. That's what I have no pain. And always if I keep it like this to play and have no pressure still no pain, but it's still stress fracture.

Q. So do you have something in your shoe to keep the pressure off of it?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yes. It's not in the shoes, it's like, how do you say in English?
Q. Orthopedics?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah, orthopedics. That's what it is. I have something there to protect me from the pain really, like pain relief.

Q. As far as that investigation goes, is the ATP giving you updates, or how are you communicating with them?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know. It's not with me now. It's only my manager. I just like try my I'm like still to play tennis. I don't know anything now in the moment. I don't want to know also in this moment, that's why's I was only concentration tennis.

http://www.cincytennis.com/2/en/players/interviews/2007/davydenko3.asp

{Annie}
02-18-2008, 12:50 PM
An email conversation with Nikolay Davydenko: 'Last season I was depressed. I wanted to quit tennis'

Coping with allegations over betting; avoiding Federer in Grand Slam semis; preparing for popular Rotterdam event

By Paul Newman
Monday, 18 February 2008
The Independent

You have a reputation for playing more tournaments than most players. How do you stay so fit?
I've always played a lot. I've always liked to travel and be at tournaments. I became very fit by playing so many matches. But as I get older I need to reduce my tournaments so that I can keep clear of injuries and be at my peak for the biggest events.

What is your favourite tournament?
Moscow, because I won it three times!

What do you like about the ABN AMRO event in Rotterdam, where you are playing this week?
It's very well organised, which is important to us players. It makes our lives easy, so we can concentrate on tennis. The tournament director of the ABN AMRO is Richard Krajicek, the former Wimbledon champion, and he knows what the players like and don't like. I like the city of Rotterdam a lot. It's a good place to go shopping with my wife.

You have finished in the world's top five three years in a row but have not made a Grand Slam final. How can you break through?
A better draw would help! I reached so many Grand Slam semi-finals and then played Roger Federer. I could also improve my serve and physique.

Can Andy Murray win a Grand Slam tournament?
Murray definitely has a chance. He still has to learn a lot to win Grand Slams because they are very special, but he definitely has the potential.

What has been the best moment of your career so far?
Helping Russia win the 2006 Davis Cup was a great moment, and reaching four Grand Slam semi-finals was good for me individually.

How much has your life changed since the Association of Tennis Professionals started investigating irregular betting patterns involving your match against Martin Vassallo Arguello in Sopot in Poland last July?
I went through a serious depression because I was totally wrong-footed by the announcement. I didn't do anything, I didn't even know anything about it and then everywhere I went nobody asked me about tennis any more. I became famous in a way I didn't like and didn't understand. It drove me into a depression, especially at the end of last year when I was fined in St Petersburg. They wrongly said that I wasn't trying. In the end they had to admit they were wrong and lifted the fine, but I was shocked and crying in the locker room. I was having trouble with my serve, but I was trying my best, as I always do. It became a big effort even to go to the end-of-year tournament in Shanghai because of all this. It should have been a great moment, but I didn't really want to go any more.

When you retired with a foot injury against Vassallo Arguello some people made a lot of money by betting on him to win, even after he had lost the first set. You have denied any involvement in betting and denied any knowledge of why people were betting on you to lose. Do you think certain people must have known you were injured?
These are all assumptions and guesses and I don't want to speculate. I can only say what I know, which is that I told the physio on the court during the match that I was injured. I asked him what I should do, because I didn't want to risk serious injury. He said I should try to continue if I could, and so I did. That is all I know.

Do you think the ATP has been fair during its investigation?
No. From the first moment I felt isolated and left on my own to deal with everything. I felt I deserved better protection from the ATP.

Did the ATP request the telephone records of yourself, your wife and your brother (who is your coach)? Have they received them?
Yes, they did. I gave my telephone records, but there is still not a decision over whether my wife and brother are obliged to give theirs. Whatever I have to do legally I will, but I will not do something that is not legal and the privacy laws are very strict.

How much has the attention affected your tennis?
At the end of last season I was very depressed and wanted to quit tennis. My brother, wife and manager convinced me that I am only 26, that I have good years ahead, that I haven't achieved yet what I always wanted – to win a Grand Slam tournament – and that I shouldn't let something stupid like this, which is not my fault and [is] out of my hands, stop me.

Has the investigation damaged you financially?
I didn't lose contracts, but I was close to signing a badge deal which is now on hold until the final decision is made. At the start, a lot of tournaments where I would be a marquee player became insecure about the situation, but that problem is solved because everyone who knows me in tennis realised I had done nothing wrong.

Since the controversy broke, a number of players have said they have been approached in the past by people wanting to fix matches. Are you surprised?
I was very surprised because I have never been approached. What surprised me most is why they did not report them when they were approached. They should have done. Why did they wait until this Sopot situation?

Three Italian players, Potito Starace, Alessio Di Mauro and Daniele Bracciali, have been suspended for placing bets on matches. Have they been made scapegoats?
It's not my position to make a judgement. It seems they made only little bets, but they were stupid to do it.

Do you think there is a problem with match-fixing in tennis?
No, certainly not at the top of the game. The top players want to win every match and there is a lot of reward for doing so. There is no motivation for a top player to not want to win matches because you can make a lot at the top by winning. At the lower level I cannot say because it is many years since I played there, but I have never been approached.

Are the authorities fighting corruption in the right way?
I don't actually know what they are doing, so I cannot comment. But I think the easiest thing would be to ban all betting on tennis.

Nikolay Davydenko will play in the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam, which starts today. The ABN AMRO event is in its 35th year and will also feature Rafael Nadal, Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Murray and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. For more information go to www.abnamrowtt.nl

Attachment

Date of birth 2 June 1981 Born Severodonetsk, Ukraine

Height 5ft 10in

Weight 70kg

Turned professional 1999

Plays Right-handed; two-handed backhand

Career earnings $7,390,873 (£3,768,754)

Career record, singles Won 268; Lost 194.

Career titles 11.

Highest ranking No 3 (6 November 2006)

Grand Slam record

Australian Open QF (2005, 2006, 2007) 4R (2008)

French Open SF (2005, 2007)

Wimbledon 4R (2007)

US Open SF (2006, 2007)

star_of_dusk
02-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Nikolay Davydenko: A Perennial Dark Horse

http://bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0217/0326/nikolai_davydenko_wideweb_470x_feature.jpg

The Tennis community in B/R has featured articles on Safin, Murray, Federer, Nadal, Tsonga, and Roddick, so I decided that Davydenko had to featured as well.

Nikolay Davydenko is my "all-time" favourite, i.e., from the time I have attuned myself to the sport, second only to Roger Federer.

I have used the words "all-time" because all the other players that I root for depend on my mood and the opponent facing them. I can positively say that after Federer, its Nikolay's game that I connect with.

Davydenko doesn't have Grand Slam count in his kitty nor does he boast of some lethal, awe-inducing arsenal. Some of his shots may not even seem magical, but the manner in which he unleashes them is the point that makes all the difference.

He has been a consistent Top 5 player for quite a few years now, although he never managed to win a Slam. The maximum distance he has managed being the Semi-Finals of Roland Garros and French Open twice.

The last time I saw him play was against Murray at the year end Masters Cup at Shanghai in 2008 where he literally packed off Murray, reaching to his first Masters Cup final in four appearances.

Kolya's game is best in the hard and the clay courts, whereas grass is like a formidable opponent to him. The fact that he hasn't made past the fourth round at Wimbledon stands testimony to that.

Coached by his brother Eduard, Davydenko is a hardcore baseliner with a powerful backhand. His Achilles heel, however is the fact that he has on numerous occasions failed to capture games where he had held the upper hand.

This year, so far he hasn't had a chance to play so far; he withdrew from Chennai Open and consecutively from the Australian Open. In fact he was the only Top 10 male seeded player not to feature in the Asia/Pacific Slam.

On court, Davydenko [from the matches I have seen of him] is not a player prone to emotional outbursts. Although there have been many controversies surrounding him, none of them are because of his temperament on the court.

In a world filled with show stoppers like Murray who make sudden ascendancy to the top bracket or tongue-in cheek Novak Djokovic or enigmas like Federer or intimidating Nadal, Davydenko has carved his own niche.

He remains there, relatively calm and unruffled waiting and waiting for his opportunity; and I as his fan am filled with hope and anticipation that one day, he will win a Slam and that is why to me he presents himself as a "Dark Horse" who may strike when it is least expected of him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/124422-nikolay-davydenko-a-perennial-dark-horse#

Crazy Girl
02-16-2009, 01:11 AM
Thanks, indeed, STAR!!!!
And many greatings to your little dog!!!!

NIKO!!!!! :worship::worship::worship:

star_of_dusk
02-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Davydenko hopes make Tour comeback

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/09/02/24/10288850.html

02/23/2009 11:47 PM | By Alaric Gomes, Senior Reporter

Dubai: Top Russian player Nicolay Davydenko is hoping to surmount his recent injuries and get back on to the ATP Tour as soon as possible.

"I need to overcome this part of my life and get on with my tennis," Davydenko told Gulf News after attending the Dugas Kids' Day at one of the outside courts along the sidelines of the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships yesterday.

"I have been to the doctor and he reckons I could be playing again in another two weeks' time, which is good news for me as I need to get out there and start enjoying my tennis again," the 27-year-old Davydenko added.

The Russian injured his left heel in his season-opening tournament in Chennai and withdrew from his second round match there. At the Australian Open it was the same injury that broke a streak of 29 consecutive Grand Slam tournaments played since the 2001 US Open.

Davydenko took a one-month break and made a return on the Tour at the Rotterdam Open, and lost in the second round. The Russian is currently in Dubai as part of his commitment to the ATP Tour.

"Hopefully, I will be ready for the US tournaments starting with Miami in a couple of weeks," Davydenko confided. The top Russian finished in the top-5 for a fourth straight season last year. A rare distinction is the fact that he has won at least one ATP title for six straight years.

In 2008, Davydenko captured three ATP titles in five finals, including his second ATP Masters Series shield in Miami, where one of his highlights was back-to-back wins over Andy Roddick in the semifinal and Rafael Nadal in the final.

One of the possible reasons for his constant run-in with injuries is the busy schedule Davydenko follows on Tour. But he does not agree. "I am getting older," he joked. "Take a look at this season& I have not even started 2009," he rued.

Bracing for a challenging 2009, Davydenko admitted feeling apprehensive when he eventually took the first step in his quest to participate in Miami game.

"A lot really depends on how I feel going into the tournament. The first round would be very important as I would need to start winning and then hope to carry through on that confidence as the tournament progresses," Davydenko stated.

At the same time, he was not too concerned with putting himself under pressure as long as his health holds out. "I do not want to be injured and that is one of my goals," he shrugged.

"I enjoy this status of being the top Russian player, I always have since the pas few years, and I know the fans are behind me," Davydenko said.

Though not playing this week, Davydenko is pleased he is here as that gives him an opportunity to explore Dubai.

"The good thing about not spending time on court is that I have spent time outside exploring all the good things happening in Dubai. It has been an exciting time for me," said Davydenko.

Crazy Girl
02-25-2009, 01:30 AM
STAR!!!!

As always.....thanks to keep us updated!!!!

:worship::worship::worship:

schorsch
04-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Wednesday, 15 April 2009

N. DAVYDENKO/I. Karlovic
6-4, 6-3

THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. Given that you're one of the top players in the world, how do you feel having to play on an outside court today?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's was good because first round, really difficult. I didn't know by self if I play good or not because first match after three months. I really enjoyed.
Court 2 is also not so small. Okay, I don't play at Court 9, it's already much better. But tomorrow I think playing against Nalbandian, have Court No. 1.

Q. How do you feel your clay court form is now?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know what I need to say because, you know, it's not like about clay court or hard court, it's just starting, you know. From me, was starting tournament now. My season start from Monte Carlo, not from Australia Open.
I think every match if I win is good for me, very good for the futures, for the next, next tournaments.

Q. Do you feel ready for a top guy like Nalbandian?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I think so. I really don't know because, I don't know, I didn't see how play in three months. You know, I don't know what is tennis change now. We'll see tomorrow how guys playing. For me is very interesting.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

star_of_dusk
04-16-2009, 02:16 AM
Oh it's good to have him back!

I hope he gets a good court against nalbandian!

Oh and heres wishing him goodluck with doubles!

:inlove::inlove:

Crazy Girl
04-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Wednesday, 15 April 2009

N. DAVYDENKO/I. Karlovic
6-4, 6-3

THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. Given that you're one of the top players in the world, how do you feel having to play on an outside court today?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's was good because first round, really difficult. I didn't know by self if I play good or not because first match after three months. I really enjoyed.
Court 2 is also not so small. Okay, I don't play at Court 9, it's already much better. But tomorrow I think playing against Nalbandian, have Court No. 1.

Q. How do you feel your clay court form is now?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know what I need to say because, you know, it's not like about clay court or hard court, it's just starting, you know. From me, was starting tournament now. My season start from Monte Carlo, not from Australia Open.
I think every match if I win is good for me, very good for the futures, for the next, next tournaments.

Q. Do you feel ready for a top guy like Nalbandian?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I think so. I really don't know because, I don't know, I didn't see how play in three months. You know, I don't know what is tennis change now. We'll see tomorrow how guys playing. For me is very interesting.

FastScripts by ASAP SportsNice, kind and always very humble our Niko!!! I love him too much!!!:smooch::smooch::hug::hug:

Thanks, schorsch, as always!!!:worship::worship::worship:

schorsch
05-25-2009, 08:55 PM
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-05-25/200905251243253818279.html

N. DAVYDENKO/S. Koubek

6‑2, 6‑1, 6‑4

An interview with:

NIKOLAYDAVYDENKO

Q. Good start to the tournament, no?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: That's it? That's question?

Q. That's a question. Was it a goodstart to the tournament?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Um, yeah. Three sets match, it's really tough ‑‑ the conditions now differentbetween last year and now. It's like 28,like afternoon can be 30. It's very hot,because practicing yesterday, it's one hour, it's, you know, it's reallydifficult to play.

Sometimes you thinkabout better to play first match like 11:00, finish at noon. But now it's already start to be hot. Butthree‑set match, it's always good.

Q. So you obviously have been injured and you've had some good successhere. What are your expectations forthis tournament?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I really disappointed, you know. I start in clay court, and I was thinking Ican be fit for the Roland Garros.

But after Madrid, retired, haveinjury, and I can't play next week in, like last week, I didn't playKitzbühel. I didn't prepare really goodfor Roland Garros. Really difficult.

Like any matches, I need physical training,because five‑set matches can be ‑‑ I don't know what I can expect me nowwith tournament. I really ‑‑ Idon't say I'm prepared for this tournament. Just was not now, no injury, it's for me important. Try to be fit. And I think like my coach say, it's by everymatch you're fit fighting, you're physically better. That's was I hope I'm not dying on the courtand can be physically better every match, every match.

Q. Becauseyou're not as physically fit as you want to be, are you trying to keep thepoints shorter?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No, no. Really, it's ‑‑ no, my tennis is different. Sometimes I try to play short, but sometimesI need to make long rally, and because of the good control from baseline tofind for the futures. That's what I needhere now, Roland Garros. I don't knowwhat's happen in the futures, next matches, how I can be fit.

Q. We have a lot of new faces in the top 10 this year. You're not in the top 10, but do you thinkthat we're seeing sort of a generational shift in the game right now?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No, it's like ‑‑ same guys what wasplaying last year before, Verdasco, Simon, Del Potro, Monfils. I'm losing points every week. I need now the fan points, and I need now tryto come back. I was for years to 5.

For me, after injury,long injury, I just want to maybe find my game back, like confidence and maybeenjoy also tennis and this year, I don't know what can be my result, if I canfinish top 10 or finish, like, 30, 20? Just, we'll see in the futures. But if I find very good, how I can play, I can finish the play.

Q. You said you want to enjoy tennis this year. Were you not enjoying tennis in the lastcouple of years because of the Sopot investigation and all of that?
NIKOLAYDAVYDENKO: Not only the investigation, everything. So many matches, sometimes just tired, losingsome stupid matches. Should be, you needto win and you lost, and it's everything together. It's was not every week enjoying. Now I try and enjoy every week. If I can, maybe I can play good.

star_of_dusk
05-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Up close and personal with Nikolay Davydenko
Sunday, May 31, 2009
By Eric Frosio
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2009-05-31/200905311243768804078.html

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_davydenkoportrait.jpg

Here at Rolandgarros.com we know you love to get an insight into the real person behind the tennis star facade. Here, in the fifth of a series of quick-fire lifestyle interviews, two-time French Open semi-finalist Nikolay Davydenko reveals his admiration for Ivan Lendl and Igor Andreev.

Who is your sporting idol?
Ivan Lendl. He was the best.

What’s your favourite sport outside tennis?
Fishing. Some people think it’s just a hobby, but for me it’s a sport. I’ve caught 10kg barracudas off Mauritius before. It was fantastic.

What’s your least favourite training exercise?
Jogging. It’s a necessary evil, but I hate it.

Who’s your best friend on the circuit?
Igor Andreev. He was my doubles partner in the Davis Cup. He’s a great guy.

Which part of your game would you like to improve?
I’d like to get stronger and have more stamina. Like Nadal!

What’s the last thing you do before you go to sleep?
I watch TV, preferably Russian programmes.

What’s the best concert you’ve seen?
It was in Abu Dhabi on New Year’s Eve. I took part in an exhibition and then went to a Shakira concert in a 7 star hotel. It was the most amazing show I’ve ever seen.

What do you have on your iPod?
Scorpions, Beck…I also like house music and remixes of cult songs.

Who would be your ideal partner for mixed doubles?
My wife. We play together during the holidays. She’s not very good, but if I chose anyone else I’d be in trouble!

When was your first kiss?
There have been so many I can’t remember!

What was your favourite film in 2008?
The Transporter.

Which actor would you choose to play you on screen?
Jason Statham, the lead actor in The Transporter.

When did you last spend big with your prize money?
I don’t – my wife spends it. That’s why I’m still on the tour [laughs].

Who’s the nicest guy on tour?
They’re all really nice: Federer, Nadal. All of the guys in the top 100 are cool. But if you asked me which one was the best looking I’d say Feliciano Lopez. Everyone thinks he’s gorgeous, with his blue eyes and curly hair.

kai.
05-31-2009, 08:56 PM
:worship:

Bremen
05-31-2009, 11:09 PM
He's hilarious!

briecie
06-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I left a comment at the bottom of the article at Roland website. There are only 5 comments and mine hasn't shown up yet.
All Kolya fans must go and leave a comment. He needs some support there as the other players all have zillions of comments.
Come on folks.

kai.
06-03-2009, 12:27 AM
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2009-06-02/200906021243954153437.html

R. SODERLING/N. Davydenko

6‑1, 6‑3, 6‑1

An interview with:

NIKOLAYDAVYDENKO

Q. How's your health?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Older feeling. What you mean, about match or you mean abouteverything?

Q. Well, take your pick. How aboutthe match?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: About match? I really don't know what I can say about match. He play well here first. Play very well. If I try to play well, he play much better.

But if I play not sogood, what I can say? I didn't playgood.

Q. You've had some trouble with him in the past, haven't you, playing him?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah. Maybe, yeah. I don't know why,but it's already three times I lost against him. I cannot show my best game. That's was surprising.

Maybe he have some, nottactic, but maybe he have some like tennis too fast for me, or maybe like heplay no topspin or he play faster or have better control. I really don't know.

All three times against him, I reallysurprising I cannot play. You know, andloss on clay courts all three times.

Q. Monte‑Carlo?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah.

Q. Maybe you need to play on grass. Are you looking forward to that?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yes, because first I need to make visit to England. I don't know if I reach there, you know,coming to the Wimbledon (laughing.)

But should be, yes,next week Queen's. We'll see if I canget visa.

Q. Do you think Robin has raised his level since you met him last time, orhe's a better play now, do you think?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yes. He surprising me. He play verywell. Like if I was try to play better,try to make some control from baseline, play some long rally, make sometopspin, he try play better along the line and make many winners.

I was surprising. He play faster. Today he play faster.

Q. Between Sunday and today, do you think maybe I can win the tournament?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Who?

Q. You.

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Which tournament?

Q. The one you play here. I meanNadal lost, so maybe you think...

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I lost already. I cannot win the tournament anymore.

Q. Between Sunday and today.

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Between Sunday and today? No, I didn't think about it. I was really happy come to quarterfinal here,and I really don't think about semifinal or final here.

Okay, now it's was notNadal or Djokovic, but some guys like Soderling play good. What I can do?

Q. Talk about your visa. What's theproblem?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Problem what?

Q. The visa, were you serious about that, getting a visa for England?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah, just ‑‑ no, it's no problem. I try and make last week. I should be have appointment, but I playedthree days in a row. If you remember, Ididn't finish my match and should have been next day play and I haveappointment.

Yeah, I pass my time,and now the holiday in EnglandMonday, and then, you know, try to do tomorrow. I know some players say I wait already 10 days hear about visa. And for me now I be in trouble.

If I go tomorrow, I should be receive myvisa end of next week. I don't know whatI can do. I should be play alreadyMonday Queen's.

And for us, like Russian, it'sreally, you know, important to try to do faster. I don't know if I can do this week to dosomething.

Q. Yourfoot is okay today?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Which one?

Q. Both feet.

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Sometimes is right, sometimes is leftpainful. But, no, it's okay. It's okay.

Q. Did you talk about the game of Soderling? What surprised you in his game?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: He played faster. Just very ‑‑ I don't know, it was verygood control from baseline. Normally henever had like this.

Have good serve, makesome winners, but I try, you know, make some topspin, just make some longrally, but he just have control and make some winners.

Play very good topspin, like cross, and playvery fast. Always feeling always if hehit along line, across, by hitting balls by the line. I have no chance. I try run, but I'm not Nadal. Also like not possible for me.

Q. Hehits the ball flat or he hits the ball with topspin?

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah, he was hitting flat and sometimes crosstopspin very well. I have nochance. It's was ‑‑ I don't know,it was different between. Against Verdasco playing today,different. Today different weather,balls much more faster, courts much faster.

It's not so hot, 25degrees, but feeling like ‑‑ I don't know, we play on hardcourt. For me it was fast.

Q. Tomorrow we have a big match for French people. It's Monfils against Federer. Who is the favorite for you? And explain if you select a player now.

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know now, because before favoriteNadal. Nadal lost. Djokovic lost. Federer should be losing yesterday match, butwon.

Federer was playingafter better. I don't know how heplay against Monfils, but favorite still I think Federer.

Q. When I hear you, it seems that the next opponent of Soderling has nochance against him. What can you say tohis next opponent? Good luck? Or what's your tactic or...

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: What's my tactic? Go home. (laughter.) Take a rest now. Just, I don't know. Prepare for grass tactic.

For Soderling? Well, I don't want to say nothing. Just good luck. If he play like this, I don't know. Depends against who he play. Because Murrayis also not so easy to beat him. He alsocan good running and still good control from baseline.

I don't think so can be easy match forSoderling for semis.

Crazy Girl
06-08-2009, 09:09 PM
:worship::worship:Thanks Kai for your beautiful job.:worship::worship:

Crazy Girl
06-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Ciao brecie, Ciao Star, Ciao Kai!!! Ciao everybody beautiful people!!:worship::worship:

briecie
10-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Winner of Malaysian Open 2009

http://www.malaysianopentennis.com/news_use/QY2I5265.JPG

KUALA LUMPUR: After a slow start to the season because of a left heel injury Nikolay Davydenko is having a strong second half and has become only the fifth player to win three or more titles.

The Russian world number eight and top seed won the inaugural Proton Malaysian Open Kuala Lumpur 2009 with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Fernando Verdasco in one hour 35 minutes. It was only the sixth time this year that the top two seeds were meeting in a final.

“I feel tired because it was really difficult match against Verdasco,” Davydenko said. “Every point was not easy as I needed to run a lot. I had to fight for point step by step it was hard but I remained focus.

“However Verdasco did not play his usual game and I tried to do different things.”

The Russian said really enjoyed playing in Kuala Lumpur and “will definitely be back to defend my title”. He added that he didn’t get a chance to see the sights but “it was a great trip to KL being it my first time”. One place he wanted to visit was the zoo but hopes to be able to do that the next time.

There was no monkeying around by either player as the first game of the final was the longest of the match as Verdasco survived six deuces and three break points to hold serve but it was in the seventh game, which so often is the crucial game that Davydenko scored a break and three games later served out the set to love.

The Russian was on course to win his 17th career title from 22 finals.

Again he had Verdasco under pressure in the first game of the second set which the Spaniard dropped with a double fault, but with the crowd so firmly behind him, Verdasco turned the tables on he number one seed and broke back immediately.

The atmosphere around Putra Stadium was electric and at times deafening and it created incredibly excitement for the first event.

Both players were finding it tough to hold serve and in the tenth game Verdasco had his best chance to take it into a deciding set. He had Davydenko down 0/40 and facing three set points but the Russian hit a winner on one while Verdasco sent two returns out as Davydenko won five points in a row to level at 5-5.

The Spaniard dropped serve in the next game as Davydenko brought up two match points on his serve – the first one he double faulted and on the second one Verdasco hit the ball out.

“I think I had many opportunities during the match,” Verdasco said. “He just played better in some of the important points and in the second set I couldn't convert the set points which could have changed the outcome of the match.

“I am happy with the week in Kuala Lumpur. I came here without having played much tennis because of my foot injury. It was important to get some confidence and rhythm for the next tournaments.”

The doubles final was won by the Polish combination of Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski. They defeated Igor Kunitsyn of Russia and Jaroslav Levinsky of the Czech Republic 6-2, 6-1 in 54 minutes. For the Polish tandem it was their second title of the year having won at Eastbourne just before Wimbledon in June.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Media Director, Malaysia, Mr. Ghaz Ramli at 016 243 0848 email ghaz@gridgossips.com OR International Media Director, Mr. Craig Gabriel on 019 641 7391 email craig@crosscourt.com.au

About the Proton Malaysian Open, Kuala Lumpur 2009
The tournament is an ATP World Tour 250 Series event. The singles main draw will have a field of 28 players while the doubles draw will have 16 teams. The tournament carries total prize money of USD 947,750 and will be played at the 16,000 seat Putra Stadium at Bukit Jalil Sports Complex, September 26 and October 4. The tournament is organised by IMG and is supported by the Government of Malaysia.

For more information please visit: www.MalaysianOpenTennis.com

briecie
10-21-2009, 07:25 AM
An interview with : Nikolay Davydenko
2009-10-17 23:14

N. DAVYDENKO/N. Djokovic

4 6, 6 4, 7 6

An interview with:

NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO

Q. (In Chinese.) Today's match, do you think this is a very hard competition? Are you feeling any pressures from the serve of Djokovic?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Last few words?

Q. (In Chinese.) Are you feeling some pressure from the serve from your opponent?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: If you see match was today, was like long and heavy. Three hours is, because maybe it's pretty slow here. I was play mostly every match 2:00, and this was different situation, was not it's was day. This was not darkness, and balls was flying a little bit faster.
I have like chance play faster, and that's was maybe game was faster. Today now against Djokovic was, serve from Djokovic always good, but not at this time, not today, because we have many rallies, doesn't serving, me and him. We just play baseline, forehand/backhand. That was all three hours match was.

Q. It was quite a match to come through. You seemed to have a lot more in the tiebreaker than he did. Could you talk about the tiebreaker a little bit?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: In tiebreak, it's different situation. It's like last tiebreak you concentration, how you can in just I don't know. For me, it's like every point, you know, I fighting for every point, I running for every point, and I didn't care.
Just want win, you know, this point. And that's was maybe I was, you know, trying in beginning. It's also important if you win few points in beginning tiebreak, you have more confidence, and then you can play better and better. You can maybe finishing, winning, you know, this tiebreak.

Q. He owned you on this court before. He won the two matches last year. Is it a little bit of a revenge today?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: A little bit.

Q. A lot?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah, just a little bit. (laughter.)
No, it's like this is different between final Masters Cup and now semifinal, different tournament. Okay, same city, but, you know, for me, it's like if, you know, if I make better result, I have chance coming to London, you know, I have more points.
But he need to defend, you know, like, say in top three players in the world, and if he play winning here tournament, he have more chance coming to No. 2.
Um, today was I don't know. In beginning he have play a little bit better, a little bit faster. But then starting the same game. We play both the same, everything the same. Was 50/50. I really a little bit I have pressure of my serve. He have so many times breaking, and in the second set and for sure he can maybe finishing in the two sets, but, you know, he play also many lucky points.
I have also many chance winning breakpoints and he play well. This was all match really difficult. I was lucky; he was lucky. In tiebreak, I was more lucky.

Q. Can you talk about Rafa or Feliciano? And also you have a good record in finals this year. You've won all the three you were in.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I don't know. You know, against Rafa it's doesn't matter. It's last match, final. I think it's doesn't matter against who I play in the final.
Rafa, it's, you know, I have good feeling, you know. He's fighting every match three sets. That's was surprising here, find game and losing first set and then winning, try to come back and winning match.
That's I think it is now him this week, very good fighter, and coming, you know, have maybe also a little bit confidence this one. I don't know how he feel tennis. I don't know how he feel, very good or not good. I didn't see how many matches now.
But he play last week in Beijing, okay, was he didn't make good result, but, you know, he's every week try to fight, have the same game. And I don't know. He can be in the final very good and maybe can be not so good. We'll see what happen tomorrow.

Q. You've been very relaxed this week, I think, so far. But now you're in the final. Does the pressure go on? And how do you prepare for a final compared to semis and quarterfinals?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Um, first it's like last match, last day in Shanghai. Then, you know, it's already I thinking I need to come to Russia, I have another tournament, I have already every week tournament, but, you know, happy, no? Always make good result. Already in final to be here in Masters Series.
It's end of the year. It's like feeling maybe and I'm for sure finishing in top 10 this years. I know behind me many games, you know, Tsonga, like González, you know, we have the same points, we have the same ranking, you know. And who make it these last two, three tournaments good results, you can have better ranking. You can be No. 8 or 9 or 10.
For me it's was good coming here to the final, have some points and try, you know, finishing in top 10. Don't think about London, not yet, but really, you know, fifth time in a row finishing top 10, it's, for me, it's I think important.

Q. Just going back again to what my colleague spoke about earlier, he beat you twice here last year. What was the difference today? Were you better or was he worse?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Yeah, come on. Match was three hours and decide tiebreak. Who was better? I don't know. He was better, but I won. I can say also like this.
Maybe he was better because he won Beijing last week, have more confidence. He play good. But I was thinking he was tired from yesterday, also, match. That's was today a long match for him was also not so good, and I think he is also losing so much power and he cannot play 100% already in the third set. He also make many mistake and also losing concentration. For sure he's tired.

Q. You have won a lot of fans in Shanghai this year. Do you feel it surprising or happy?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: If I have so many fans in Shanghai?

Q. Yeah, haven't you noticed?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Maybe I'm scared, have Chinese, no offense here, win in Shanghai.
No, it's like it's always, you know, if you make somewhere good result you winning tournament, you have some fans, is for sure. For sure I have some fans I won Miami two years ago, you know, I have some fans, but I don't think so American but some South American, so many South Americans there.
I have so many fans in Moscow. (laughter.) I won three times. It's like, you know, where is I make good result I have some fans. It's like this always.

Q. Today I noticed that your wife is watching your game beside the court. When you play this tough game, do you have some eye contact with her, or do you feel support from her?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Eye contact? I have always contact with her. (laughter.)
Yes. Mostly every game, and she try to help me. She try to support me. She try to tell me something, you know, to motivate in the game, to be concentration.
This is good. It's help me very much, because I need to find somebody who can help me about this one, and it's I have no coach this week, but my wife, you know, this is support. It's very important in the match.
Doesn't matter how's match going on. If I losing, you know, it's always supporting I have. That's was I think it's important for everyone, for every player, because it's difficult to play alone and don't look to anyone and just then I think you start to be crazy, you know, because to be always alone is not so good.

Q. Andre Agassi
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Who's he? He already not in tennis. I don't know this guy.

Q. He said Federer and Nadal's era will be over soon and Murray and Djokovic and Del Potro will be the one to lead. What do you think about that?
THE MODERATOR: I guess he said Federer and Nadal's era is going to be over soon, that Djokovic and Del Potro and Murray are going to take over, basically, the tour. So that was his statement. What do you think?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Um, I really doesn't matter what Agassi say, for me. I really don't care.
Just say yes, it's true if you see how points, how we did result this year, Federer, Nadal, Del Potro, you know, Murray, Djokovic, Roddick. You know, it's not only you need to see all year's results, you know.
You know, some guys, mostly all these top five, top six guys always be in the quarters, in the semis and the final probably every tournaments where they played. That's was with these guys, they have the same points. Okay, if only one guy can winning like Federer winning Grand Slams step by step, he have more points. He No. 1.
But if you see Federer 1, yeah, he was lucky, Nadal losing in Roland Garros and he won Paris, yeah? Federer. And after Wimbledon, that's was he still No. 1, but Del Potro won US Open.
It's, I think yeah, it's like top six guys now, it's have the same level and play very well. Just I think for the next season, for the next year, I don't think it can be one guy who win everything and coming to No. 1 and to already in beginning. It's be difficult, yeah?
Federer is 28, 29 years old next year. He have two kids, family, you know. Now enjoy more another step like Hewitt. (laughter.)
I hope so. Because it's too much, you know, to be No. 1 for Federer.
But, yes, like, say, young guy like Murray have the same age, and Nadal and Djokovic and Del Potro, you know, is the same age and player think still top four or five years can still be good for all these guys.

Q. Is that because you're not so good looking and keep looking outside the court which makes you put more focus on your tennis? And given a chance, would you like to be more good looking or keep your life going like this?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Um, you know, if I be if I don't have wife, you know, maybe I can say, Yeah, I disappoint I'm not maybe good looking, yeah, but really I have many girls can be in Russia. I don't know about China, but in Russia, it's I still look good, like feeling comfortable, you know. (laughter.)
I mean, it's okay. I really not think about this, yeah?

briecie
10-21-2009, 07:29 AM
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451599e69e20120a5f14f53970b-600wi
by Pete Bodo

Well, this pretty much seals the deal - it's officially Kolya time. I'll say this for Nikolay Davydenko, he's the consumate professional in terms of taking advantage of his opportunities. I think he's played less (and been injured more) in recent times than at the beginning of his career, but he's established himself over the years as the ultimate worker bee in men's tennis.

Davydenko doesn't complain (as far as I know) about the number of tournaments he plays; if anything, he'd probably gripe that there aren't enough of them. He doesn't seem as disgruntled as some of his peers by the touring way of life. His attitude seems to be, just tell me where to show up and play, and make sure you spell the name right on the check. This is Kolya's 19th tournament; six more than Roger Federer has played. He'll probably end up playing 21 or 22 - and the Davis Cup was a washout this year, so he couldn't add those weeks to his toll either.

Over the years, we've seen a number of other players who fall squarely into this Can't Get Enough tradition. Most of you are too young to remember the New Zealander, Onny Parun (he played early in the pro era). I think Onny figured he had to travel so far from home to play tennis that there was no point in going back once he hit the road. Then there was Tomas Smid, or Smidley, as many called him. He was a more recent vintage, and being Czech made his life somewhat easier, travel-wise. But he was a road warrior, too. He played every place that would have him, never uttered a compaint, and almost always played doubles, too. And it wasn't so long ago that wing-ding Jelena Jankovic seemed bent on shattering the mark for most frequent flier miles accumulated in a single year by a WTA pro.

Many others also play an insanely loaded schedule, but the good players who do so are a breed apart. People always snicker at these workhorses, and suggest that they're merely avaricious, but I don't really buy that. I think there's a certain dispostion to which this kind of grinding comes naturally; these players are workaholics, not just greedy pros feathering their nests for the future. And while Jankovic is an exception, these tireless spear carriers trend toward being a little grim. Maybe they're depressed, like that guy who stays at the office until 8 pm every night, and has black bags under his eyes. The last thing he would think to do, in terms of a meaningful change of life, is work less.

Here's something I found pretty amazing, though. Given that Kolya is ranked no. 8 in the world and this is his 20th tournament, he's earned "only" $1.3 million in prize-money this year. I'd happily swap bank accounts with him, and so would many of you, I presume. But that's not really the point. In relative terms, Kolya's prize-money is surprisingly low. I don't even dare to look at what a golfer with a comparable resume - Davydenko is certainly a high-value name and a staple in late stages of important tournaments- pulls down.

And even if Kolya is chasing the money, what's the big deal? I thought that's why we ended up with Open tennis in the first place, because tennis players wanted to be paid for what they did best, and it was usually the only thing they wanted to do. A player can love the game and the life and like the money too, right?

But Kolya is up against it today, even though his slap-shot style and quickness are great assets on the surfaces of the fall tour. He's facing a - dare I say it? - resurgent Rafael Nadal, who can out-muscle him, outsteady him, and neutralize Kolya's quick-strike instincts with speed and punishing counter-punching. It might do wonders for Nadal to win his first tournament since he returned from his long break (he was dealing with knee tendinitis), and it will be interesting to see if adding another Masters 1000 to his collection, with the Tennis Masters Cup looming on the horizon, will propel him back into the no. 1 conversation. We still have a pretty long way to go this year in a number of ways, weeks being the least of them.

Happy Sunday, everyone. I'm on the road most of the day but back with you on Monday

briecie
10-21-2009, 07:31 AM
SHANGHAI ATP MASTERS 1000

October 18, 2009

Nikolay Davydenko

SHANGHAI, CHINA

N. DAVYDENKO/R. Nadal
7-6, 6-3

Q. What are your feelings? And did you think that it would be so easy, quote unquote?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Easy what?

Q. Win, two sets.
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Um, you know, if it was only one hour, I say maybe it was easy, but we play not one hour. We play one hour and something first set, and for me was, like, say 4-All in first set I was feeling like I losing my chance to win first set, because he come back. He start -- he break me back, and I feel I start to make more mistake and feeling concentration, tired already, like -- I don't know how can, how long I can holding, you know, just this concentration win the match.
And, you know, maybe it was good I was coming till tiebreak. It was no break again, and he didn't win 7-5 or 6-4, just was tiebreak and I was concentration like always I do in tiebreak. Like yesterday and today I play very well in tiebreak, winning, and then I feeling something I have chance, you know, fighting second set.
Doesn't matter how much power I have, just feeling how long I can holding in the match. If I have chance to win second set, I know I try to realize, and was feeling like after I was break him, and, you know, was, you know, feeling was, yes, I can win, you know, today. And was 6-3 in the second was it's not so easy, because I see his starting try come back.
Like after 5-2, he winning easy serve and you know, my serve just was lucky, make first few serves, first one, and was make some winners and was last, you know, two rallies was, for me, it was I think most importantly from baseline, because I know Nadal always try, you know, to do no mistake, and in important points try to run and to try, you know, waiting mistake from other players.
And it was -- I think a little bit was lucky, but mostly I was play very well today.
I think I tell everything, no? I can finish now.

Q. How does this compare with your previous two Masters wins, Bercy and Miami?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Um, you know, I can say Bercy it was hurt bodies. It was not top 10 player. I think in Bercy I was favorite.
In Miami and here, I think Nadal was favorite because he's No. 2 in the world, and mostly he make more result in the big tournament, he winning more tournament.
I don't know, but these two finals in Masters and I beat Nadal in the final, maybe it's something -- I don't know what's can happen in semi, quarterfinal against Nadal. Maybe I can losing, yeah? But in the final last day, last match, you want to give everything in this match, 100% what you can do. And really I lost 5 finals and 17 I won. That's was my 18th title.
Now it's really amazing, you know. It was feel -- really in final I play very well. But I need to come to the final, you know. (laughter.) It's not so easy.

Q. What's the difference for you playing Nadal and Federer?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Completely different games. Federer always have good serve, play fast. He didn't make so long rally. He just try to make winners, and you need always running with him. It's much more difficult.
Nadal always play long rally, a little bit more slow and you have always chance to control ball. You have always chance to play long line across, always fighting with him. That's was -- and he play -- yeah, that's was maybe I have more priority play against Nadal, winning, beat him.
Against Federer, if he very good feeling, have very good confidence, it's not so easy to beat him. If I have many chance like in Paris, Roland Garros, I play also good, but, you know, have always chance to win first, second or third set, but I didn't realize, because he was better after, you know, good concentration and did well job.
But really, I don't know if I play today against Federer what's can happen. (laughter.)
Really, it's a different situation, you know. I was really happy it was not Federer today. (laughter.)

Q. You seemed to attack Nadal's backhand a lot today, and he hit the slice a lot today. That was your plan? Do you think that's the best way to beat Nadal?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: It's not was attack, because I didn't try to make winners there. I was try make like topspin cross, short cross, and he need to get always, you know, many step -- try to do with footwork, you know, working and running and coming back. Because I know he can never do some long line winners in the backhand.
I know he play for sure cross. That's was I was standing there and I already prepare for the forehand short cross. I know if I do three times, four, five, he never try, you know, to do something different, you know.
And then if I have chance I try, you know, concentration long time, but I know for sure he running, he play back, and again on backhand, you know, cross.
It's good tactic today, many points I won with this tactic, and before I did also, play against him in other tournaments.
Okay, maybe I lost like in clay court many tournaments, like many matches against him, but I try the same way, try do the same way, and in clay court different situation, more slow like, you know, can slicing to the ball here. Hardcourt he need to run to the ball. That's was maybe for me more easy to beat him at hardcourt.

Q. When you retired against Soderling in the
US Open, you looked like the unhappiest man in the world, and suddenly here -- your press conference was sort of very downbeat. And here you are, a couple months later, you won Kuala Lumpur and now you've won this tournament, so what happened between that retirement and where you are today?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Miracle. What's happen? I don't know what's happen. (laughter.)
Just -- I really don't know in Kuala Lumpur, because he beat me 6-1, have already break, and should be winning second set, but something happen. I come back and the winning tiebreak again?
And then winning third set, and then, you know, after this match I feeling, yeah, maybe I can win Masters Cup in Shanghai, yeah. (laughter.)
But really, it's like -- I don't know. Every match is different, and really, coming here I have good tennis, but if you see also fighting semifinal and three sets I was in quarterfinal. You don't know what's can happen, you know, in the match and you can win in three sets or you can win. If I have chance, I try to realize this chance and win this tournament.

Q. You've been in the top 10 I think since like May 2005 except for a few weeks this year. Yet you kind of go below the radar in terms of attention and everything. Does that bother you, or you're happy to not be like the focus of articles, and, you know, a lot of fanfare? How do you feel on that?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No, I'm just happy, you know. I want to finish top 10 in this year, just this thing, for me, it's important. Everything is not so important.
I don't -- I want to have more fans, so I don't want to have, I don't know, something. Okay, more money always good, you know. (laughter.)
But some think to be famous, really, I not so person who like to be like this. That's was maybe I don't feel, you know, and I see in the press and always famous top four guys, you know.
That's was good, you know. I'm always nobody expect I win tournament, you know. And then I have no, like, say, pression in this tournament. And I start. If I win, is good. If I lose, also it's okay. Nobody thinking I can win here or another week. Just, I play, and I do my job, and if I do good, it's good.

Q. Obviously you have had a great career so far, but after watching you defeat No. 3 and No. 2 player in the world, people might wonder why you haven't been ranked even higher and achieve more in Grand Slam. Your explanation?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: I'm too old already. (laughter.)
Why? Because, you know, today was two-set match. Grand Slam, I need to play against Nadal one more set. I don't know if I can beat him in a third set and fourth and fifth.
It's difficult. You know, maybe if you change Grand Slam in three sets I can win some. (laughter.)
But, yeah, I beat No. 2, No. 3, but I didn't beat No. 1. Maybe that's a point, you know, not to beat the top guys. It's only this week I be good, but I need to be -- these guys play every week good, semis, finals, quarterfinals. Doesn't matter which tournament. Always have top four men play very well.
I did good job, you know, in three weeks here in Asia. Yeah, I would like have last three tournaments, if I do like good result like in Paris/Bercy also coming to semis or final, I feel, yes, I feel like I can play not only one week. I can play mostly every week and make good result.
That's was feeling, yes, I can be in top five. But in beginning like this year I was injured and starting, you know, be losing quarters, you know, many tournaments, semis, normal tournament. Never -- was have chance in quarterfinal Roland Garros, but I play not so good against Soderling.
I have no chance, and really, you know, in other Grand Slam I didn't make good result. I think it's mostly important what you do in the biggest tournament in a year.

Q. What were you thinking during the championship point as a final challenge? It seemed like you were afraid to look at the result. And the second question is most players just feel tired at end of season and just get injured, but you keep on in good form. How did you manage that?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: First question, I just see my wife. She say, It's out. I say, Okay, it's good. For sure it's been out.
Second, it's good for me if everybody injury at the end of the year, because I didn't play first three months and everybody play already. So many guys now injury, it's good. Maybe I have more chance, you know, coming to London. Maybe everybody retire in London. I can win London. (laughter.)
It's good for me. Everything good for me. That's was -- I don't say about -- maybe if you see now it's a little bit with calendar, one week later. That's was if Paris/Bercy one week later, and then, you know, tournaments is just London coming, end of November finishing. And really, you don't have so much time to prepare or just take rehabilitation and prepare for the next season.
Some guys tell it's too long. Some guys tell it's too short. Really, it's like depends how many tournament you play and how many matches you play.
Yes, for sure if I play like this week till final and then every week to the final, yes, I say I want to finish in three months. I don't want to play any more because I won everything. I'm already tired for this year. But, no, you can't win every week. That's was you have choice, play 30 tournaments in a year, and you can try to realize which tournaments you can play good or not so good, but you have always chance to make good result.

Q. Your serve is so good all the week, and it always around 200 just when you play key points, 40-30, 30-40, deuce. Is that your tactic, to save energy for the moment and make the opponents feel frustrated and shock?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: No, never have tactic with my serve. I don't know what's going to happen with my serve. Just, I serve, I was thinking, Okay, I do it now in this point, try and make first serve. And then I did make some aces. I say, Wow, it's wonder. I really make good serve.
And I'm for sure today against Nadal it's not so easy always make -- I try, you know, like very fast serve, but he returning and we start to make rally, and I think about, okay, why I need to serve hard? 200? Return doesn't matter. He stay behind 10 meters from baseline and returning back everything mostly.
And in beginning, feel like in first set, because he's fresh and he can do everything. But like, say, already in the second set, you start to be tired. And if you have this big serve, really, like end of the match, you can have this chance to win, realize these points, because players already losing concentration and movement and second set already different.
That's was, if good first serve in the second and the third set, then you have more chance. That's was -- it's like also tactic, where my serve is terrible. I don't know. I can have good serve; I can have bad serve. But my keys is only baseline and return. That's it.

Q. The IOC president presented you the trophy and he invited you to next Olympic Games after seeing your excellent performance here. What's your --
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Which Olympic Games?

Q. The next one, 2012. What's your --
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Wait. Wait. 2012. It's like -- I don't know if I can live to 2012. Really.

Q. My real question is...
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: If I can stand it in 2010, it's already good. You want to like tell me 2012.

Q. My real question is: What's your thought on the rest of your career, next year, maybe?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: Wow. Yeah, always like press thinking about, yes, maybe, it's for sure. Once in my career winning Grand Slam. Yes, it's most important thing for every tennis player in the world. You know, always try. If not, maybe finishing in 20 titles in my career also, not so bad.
Yes, I will like finishing also next year in top 10. Maybe I want also next year to be top 10 and reach also London, year-end Masters Cup in London. I don't know if I can coming this year for sure. But if I come this year, for sure I want to come in next year.
It's no special dreams. It's like every week you have just play this tournament. You have not dream, but you thinking just want to do best result what you can do. If you win, it's good; not, bad luck, you go for the next tournament. That's was my opinion always step by step every week. Do some, you know, good result. I did here good result.
I don't know if I can do next week in Moscow, you know. I play already, you know, Wednesday next match against Safin, you know. And for sure everybody exciting. For sure it will be a big match. But I would say try enjoy every week. If I can do, I do. If not, okay. Next week.

Q. What do you think of Rafa's speed, the speed of his running? Do you think it's the same as it was before, couple years ago? Do you think he's slower, faster? Does he move around the court as fast as he used to?
NIKOLAY DAVYDENKO: He is too slow, I think. He need to run much faster, you know, because he is too slow from backhand to forehand running. (laughter.)
Really, in beginning I play against him in Abu Dhabi exhibition, like first week in this year we play exhibition. I was surprising he was physically so good and pretty fast, like from last year, I mean. Now it's always depends how you feel, how you fresh, how you play in tournament like every day, because he play -- okay. Yesterday he didn't have so good match, but before play three sets, three-sets matches. Yeah, he fighting.
Also, you cannot be the same feeling so fresh every day and the same like speed for running, because your concentration is not only in the foot. It's also in your head. Because you see how the ball is flying and how you run to this ball. That's was also so much important concentration, you know. In the match, the concentration you running also good, because you see ball early and then you're running to this ball.
And Nadal, always, okay, you know, he's young. He can run maybe five more years the same.

briecie
10-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Alot of questions are about Kolya so I think I will keep the interview here.

SHANGHAI ATP MASTERS 1000

October 18, 2009

Rafael Nadal

SHANGHAI, CHINA

N. DAVYDENKO/R. Nadal
7-6, 6-3

Q. You said yesterday you're very happy to make the final. It's a good achievement for you. How do you feel now?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, happy too, no? So I don't know if this is working well, but, yeah, I think, sure. I don't like to lose, but I had my chance. He beat me. He played very good match. Just congratulate him, because he deserve the victory, no?
I have my chance in the first set and I am especially happy with one thing: Is the first match after my injury comeback against one top player. I was competing 100% of my conditions, and I was competing. I really felt I really have chances to win.
So that's the first time, and that's the most positive thing for me, and I fight all the time with positive attitude, no physical problems. So that's very good news for me.
Very good Asian tour, Asian season for me, no? Semifinals Beijing, final here. Just happy for everything. Sure, I would love to -- I would like to win here, but the tournament is very positive, and I gonna continue working like this to try to continue in this way, no?
I am playing much better, am moving much better on court, and it's still working like this.

Q. How difficult is it to hit winners against Nikolay?
RAFAEL NADAL: He play all the time inside the court, very aggressive. He had -- he didn't had a lot of mistakes, no? Just playing well from both sides. Just for few moments in the first set he had few mistakes with the forehand.
But was difficult, no? It was difficult to have winners, because he, since the first ball, he push you back, no? So I think I did well. I played well. I played a good match. You know, I think I needed a little bit more be calm in this moment, but to have this calm I need to play with -- well, I don't know what the word is right, but with the calm of if you win tournament before or you play with more calm these important moments, no? So that's the only thing that I need right now, and this match works very well for me, no?

Q. Is he a little bit underrated? People don't really think of him that much, you know. They know he's in the top 10, but nobody talks about his game and whatever. Do people not give him enough credit for the player he is?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't know. He had five Masters in a row, Masters Cup? So for last five years he was in the top five.
Yeah, probably he's a guy, well, calm guy. Doesn't show no emotions sometimes. So, yeah, the people probably don't talk a lot about him, but the players, we know how good is Nikolay, no? And when he's playing his best level, he's very difficult to play against him.
He play -- he has all the shots from the baseline. He has all the shots. He play inside the court, and, yeah, he's very difficult to play. It's very difficult to play against him. Just congratulate him. He did very well, and with this victory probably he's closer to be in London. That's it, no?

Q. It was the same story that it was last year in Miami?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, completely different.

Q. Completely different?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure. In Miami I played really bad. No, that tournament in Miami I played really bad. He didn't play the same like today. He played worse. That's my feeling.
No, no. I was completing much better this year, today, than what I did in Miami last year final, no? Is completely different, my opinion.

Q. Are you surprised that he hasn't won a Grand Slam yet? Because with the type -- you say he has all the shots. How come he hasn't won a Grand Slam?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I am not surprised. He can do it, but, you know, how difficult is winning Grand Slam, no?

Q. I don't know. (laughter.)
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I know. You don't know; I know.

Q. In your mind, do you have an idea of when you expect to be playing at your absolute best with calm?
RAFAEL NADAL: That's impossible to say, no? I just can say I gonna work hard to be at my best as soon as possible, and I am not seeing myself very far of that.
But I am playing hardcourts and doing well. But at the same time, I have more titles and more wins when I play on clay, so in this season is in hard, the hardcourts, and I am doing very good end of the season.
But seems like is not enough, because I didn't play for a while during the middle of the season and seemed like I need more. But if you compare the results of the last years, semifinals of Cincinnati. This is only my second time to play semifinal in Cincinnati in my career. I played semifinals in US Open. I only did last year. The years before I never did. And I played final here. Last year I played semifinals in Madrid, if we compare, no? And two years ago I played quarterfinals and another time quarterfinals.
No, the results is I'm doing well, no? I'm doing one of the best end of the seasons in my life. But, yeah, I happy for that. I would love to have a title, but if I am still playing like this in Paris and London, it's difficult, sure. The best players are there. But in Paris I expect to have another chance to play a good tournament, no?
And if you are there all the time semifinals, final, you gonna win. I don't know when, but you're gonna win.

Q. I just wondered against a player like Nikolay, I think you played one dropshot today. Is he a very tough player to play that shot against, especially?
RAFAEL NADAL: Almost impossible, because he's inside the court all the time, so you can play dropshot when you are attacking, so you are -- if you are defending almost all the time, it's impossible to play dropshots, no?
Probably the only thing what I can improve it more today, no? I change it but late. I change it -- in the 5-2 I played a very good game with my serve, attack, having very good forehands. But, yeah, to do that all the time, I need a little bit more confidence and a little bit more matches at this level.
But I compete. I was competing all the time at very good level, trying to find solutions all the time, and I did well, but he did a little bit better than me.

Q. Your quarterfinal and semifinal your opponent retired in a row. Do you think it's part of reason you lose this match today? Because you are not --
RAFAEL NADAL: No.

Q. -- physically and mentally warmed up?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, sure not.

Q. Yesterday after losing the semifinal, Novak just give us three-minutes press conference after three-hours tennis, actually, because he tends to give one-sentence answer to every question. But you always handle loss very well, including press conference, which we really appreciate. My question is we all know how win means to players, but could you tell us what lose means to you?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, every lose is different, and every moment is completely different. So the important thing is, in my opinion, is when you go on court, you have to know you can win and you can lose. So if you know that before the match, is easier to accept that after both things, no?
The thing is you must accept the victories with the same calm than the losers. So if you win, you win, you are more happy, you feel you are the best of the world. You think something like this is where this is gonna be more difficult to be there and still winning more time. And if you lose, anyway, you can be angry or doesn't matter, but everyone has different character, and that's part of the character.
So for me today is a lose but is a positive lose. Sometimes I have a negative lose. I never was very angry, no?
But, no, that's character, and I know I can lose every match and I can win every match. Later you be here, and that's part of the work, and happy to be here and happy to be in the tour, to be playing, you know, another time with no problems. Just thinking about tennis, so that's very good news for me. I expect to be here for a long time I play without problems for a few more years.

End of FastScripts

jaana
11-30-2009, 12:41 AM
anyone know where to find the press conferende write-ups after his last two matches? on the WTF official page the interview section hasn't been updated after the 27th :(

BlueLighthouse
11-30-2009, 07:28 AM
anyone know where to find the press conferende write-ups after his last two matches? on the WTF official page the interview section hasn't been updated after the 27th :(

After defeating RG

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20091128/Davydenko_presser_-_I%27m_not_Safin

jaana
01-10-2010, 02:48 AM
eh, same question again. anyone seen ANY pressers from Doha? were they held at all? the off site is annoying as hell, couldn't find anything on there.

p.s. ^never said thanks to you. thanks!!!
(just found that on anothher site, never came back here)

p.p.s.
well researched article on a blog, written just after the London WTF
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/the_pro_shop/2009/12/all-the-bang-but-no-bucks.html
All the Bang, But No Bucks 12/08/2009 - 4:29 PM http://tennisworld.typepad.com/images/main/dotted_line_title.gif
Most of us don’t actually “buy” the notion that paid-to-play celebrity endorsers really love or even use the products they hawk, but that’s not stopping marketing folks from shelling out more than $1 billion a year to their hired shills.
The practice of spokespeople paying mere lip service for payment has gotten so out of control that the Federal Trade Commission last month issued new truth-in-advertising guidelines for celebrity endorsements. Basically, the FTC is sending a message to the likes of Britney Spears that she should be able to prove she really does shop at Kohl’s, and to Lee Majors that he had better be a true believer in the $14.95 hearing aid he touts on those late-night TV infomercials.
Some of us noticed a minor transgression by an A-list endorser Thanksgiving weekend when it turned out the car veteran Buick pitchman Tiger Woods cracked up was a Cadillac SUV, showing that in real life he wouldn’t be caught dead—or injured—in a Buick Enclave.

In fairness to Woods, the Buick deal—which was supposed to extend through 2009—was prematurely ended late last year when the recession put a stranglehold on the car business.
That also happened to be about the time that another athlete, Nikolay Davydenko, was told by Prince Sports that his racquet endorsement contract wouldn’t be renewed for 2009.
The difference was that after he got the boot, Davydenko retained his loyalty to the Prince Ozone Pro Tour (http://www.princetennis.com/tennis/files/product.aspx?cid=323&ProductId=1712) by continuing to sing the praises of his magic racquet. He has repeatedly credited the Ozone as a major reason for his Top-5 finishes from 2005-08, the years of his Prince contract. Davydenko is particularly fond of the racquet’s O-Technology—big holes (instead of traditional grommets) around the frame which reduce wind resistance and hence increase racquet-head speed, according to the TENNIS.com review (http://tennis.com/yourgame/gear/racquets/prince/prince.aspx?id=123838).

While Woods was plowing his Caddy through a neighbor’s tree, the Russian was plowing through the field at the Barclay ATP Finals in London. The little guy’s boffo run—he defeated all of this year’s Grand Slam event champions—ended when he played the biblical David to 6-foot-5 Juan Martin del Potro’s Goliath in the finale, thumping the Tandil tree topper in straight sets.
Afterward, the media asked the still sponsorless and Ozone-toting Nikolay if he thought his London success would finally get him a racquet deal, any deal with any brand. He said sure, that would be easy, but he can’t give up his magic racquet. As he put it in the post-match news conference: “Doesn't matter, [about] other racquets… for me it's important how I play first, not about money, how much another company pay for me. Then I [risk] losing everything, out of Top 10.”
Which prompted the obvious follow-up question: “How come Prince does not sponsor you any more?” He answered, “Prince give everything to [Prince endorser Maria] Sharapova, and no money anymore.”
The interview transcript noted that he was smiling when he said that. He was exaggerating, of course. Sharapova is probably Prince’s highest-paid endorser, but there are 104 other ATP and WTA pros who have “Team Prince” (http://www.princetennis.com/tennis/files/teamPrince.aspx) endorsement deals these days, and the highest ranked of its 64 male pros is No. 13 Gael Monfils, who has never even made the cut for the eight-player ATP year-end finale.

But all racquet companies guard their money relationships with players closely, so when I asked Prince what the deal (or no deal) was, I got a predictable response in the form of a statement, part of which read:
“We don’t discuss our player endorsement discussions, and any speculation regarding a more formal endorsement with Davydenko is just that.” It was followed by the equally predictable, “Yes, we are delighted that Nikolay has continued to find success with Prince racquets and O-Technology, and wish him continued success.”

My best guess is Prince dumped Davydenko for the same corporate belt-tightening reason Buick released Tiger Woods, and I suspect all the tennis brands these recessionary days might be reevaluating their pro-player spending as well.
A Prince spokesman did note that the company’s online traffic doubled on the Monday after the London event from the same day the week prior, but the brand couldn’t tell how much of the spike could be attributed to Davydenko’s performance, or to the London doubles win by Team Prince’s Bryan brothers that weekend, or to the overall holiday gift rush.
But for Prince the Davydenko performance must have been a marketer’s dream—it got the bang for no bucks. And more importantly, it came from the only kind of sincere celebrity endorser there is—the so-rare unpaid pitchman, and it kind of makes you wonder if you should have what he’s having.
I won’t be test-driving a Buick this week, but I’m pretty sure I know what racquet I’ll be playtesting.

and an interesting comment:
Posted by Squashman 01/01/2010 at 01:39 AM

There is a Squash player, who is now #1 in the world, who is an ex-Prince sponsored player. He just could not switch racquets away from his trusty prince. Prince ended his contract and he went with Head, then during his head contract, started using his old prince again, with black paint. Head finally had to end his contract and he went back to his old racquet, without a prince sponsor. Same situation as Davydenko. This guy also wears Adidas shoes, but the shoes tend to peel away at the toe and so he put TAPE on the shoes to make it stay together. Imagine, your player puts tape on your shoes and uses someone else's racquet. What a guy to sponsor!

briecie
01-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Article from Herald Sun ( Australia )

Nikolay Davydenko puts critics to sword Leo Schlink From: Sunday Herald Sun January 17, 2010 12:0
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2009/12/01/1225805/557548-russia-039-s-nikolay-davydenko.jpg
NIKOLAY Davydenko is international sport's most unlikely success symbol.
More accountant than athlete, reclusive Davydenko has operated on the fringes of world tennis for the best part of a fine career.

On the surface, he shapes as Mr Bland wielding Excalibur.

Beyond the stony face, Davydenko is one of the most perplexing characters on tour.

By turns, dour and hilarious, sincere and careless.

What is beyond dispute is the fact he was vilified after an investigation into a mid-match betting plunge in one of his matches in Sopot in 2007.

No charges were laid, but the damage was done.

If Davydenko is unfazed by accusations of being boring, charisma-free and mercenary, others are less enamoured by the slurs.

Beaten by Davydenko at the ATP World Tour finals in London in November after winning the pair's first 12 matches, Roger Federer rounded on the doubters and the accusers.

Asked if Davydenko was sufficiently respected, Federer said: "Well, I don't know if you guys (media) have respect.

"I have. I think it's most important that he has respect from his fellow players.

"I think he didn't have the easiest of last few years . . . where people suspected him of doing bad things in the sport.

"He had a cloud over his name for quite some time, which was not very fair.

"I think he handled it very well towards the end.

"To be able to continue playing this well by being asked always the same stupid questions must not have been very easy for him.

"So I respect him not only for that, but obviously for the player he is."

Dubbed the invisible man because of his low profile, Davydenko again claimed Federer's scalp in Doha to emerge as a legitimate grand slam contender.

He has been an under-achiever at the highest level, failing to reach a major final despite being a top-10 fixture.

The Russian struggles to explain his success, other than to point to the obvious -- hard work and a willingness to travel anywhere to play.

"I'm smaller (178cm and 70kg)," Davydenko said of his slight physique.

"It's like you can play different tennis. Not only big serve; you can get good return, running, good control baseline, play volley.

"How fast you running also is important, and, for sure, concentration. It's like everything together.

"I practise two hours a day. Much running."

Sages believe Davydenko would almost certainly have captured one of the big four by now if not for a slight hitch -- grand slam matches are mostly played outdoors, in the heat, and over best of five sets.

If the Australian Open was exclusively indoors and over best of three sets, Davydenko would rightly fancy his chances.

As it is, Davydenko is the most dominant player on the ATP World Tour, triumphing in last year's Shanghai Masters, ATP World Tour Finals and, a week ago, the Qatar ExxonMobil Open.

He not only defeated Federer in Qatar, he rocked Rafa Nadal by saving two match points en route to victory.

"The first set was 6-0, everybody saw it," the 28-year-old said of the Doha final.

"But if you saw the match, it was not so easy.

"I really had the chance to win some games, but I played a little bit slowly, he played much faster.

"(In the end) I think he lost a little bit of concentration and lost the match. For me it was a really good fight."

That is always the way for the baseliner. Should Melbourne Park escape its traditional January heatwave, Davydenko may yet vault to a success once considered beyond him.

If there are any doubts about that, run it past Roger Federer.

briecie
01-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Oh Davy Davy, at last the media is giving some good articles about you...yes yes yes:cool:

Eden
07-20-2010, 06:57 PM
I translated a long German interview with Kolya:

„I’m Russian, but feeling German“

Interview by Petra Philippsen

July 20th, 2010

Punctually, tidy, reliable, disciplined – that’s how Nikolay Davydenko describes himself. He is the title defender of the tournament in Hamburg. The tennis world champion talks about home, his change and the increased recognition.

You have lived more than 10 years in Germany. Do you like the Germans?

I like the German mentality, which is totally different as the Russian one. Everything is punctual when it concerns appointments. You exactly know when, where and how. In Russia you can come late 2 days or a whole day and always say: I was stuck in a traffic jam. That’s normal.

Was the adaptation different when you came to Germany?

Yes, it was funny. I was 15 years old and couldn’t speak German really well. When I knew the language better after one year I was able to understand things here better and learned a lot. I’m tidy, reliable, punctual and disciplined. I like this. I’m Russian, but I feel German. When I come to Moscow everyone is teasing me: You are a Russian German. Your punctuality is great, but it’s not Russian, they say.

Somehow you match the cliché which we have from Russians – you like Vodka and like to talk about money.

That’s true. But I have a low tolerance for alcohol because I’m so thin. I immediately fall asleep after one glass. Russians have three topics: Women, cars, money. That’s what they talk about. That also goes for tennisplayers.

What are other differences between Russians and Germans?

Russians are more open. When someone invites for dinner, no matter if 10 or 20 people, he pays, because he was the one who invited. That’s typical Russian. When I invite German friends they don’t understand this and want to pay themselves. At first I let them do it, but meanwhile I pay for everyone.

Where is your home?

I always felt at home in Germany, not in Russia. It was always strange when I came to Moscow. Now, as I bought an apartment there, I start to feel a bit more at home there. But whenever I am one week in Germany I think I have arrived home.

You never really seemed to like the general public and to write autographs…

Whenever someone asks for an autograph or a picture I like it. But when someone then asks if I am Davydenko I say: No, I’m a soccer player. This question is just stupid, they exactly know it.

And you aren’t bothered anymore by private questions?

Noone ever asked me something private in former times. That’s why I never answered.

Therefore you got asked 3 years about your involvement in betting scandals.

Nobody talks to me about this anymore, not since I won in London. That’s a bit surprising for me.

What else has that title changed?

I feel more recognition. It feels different. Not just in Russia, but worldwide. Nearly at every airport.

In former times you were seen as an emotionless ballmachine, who doesn’t make any mistakes. Now you seen to be more open.

Now I make mistakes. No, seriously, to show emotions on the court is a sign of weakness for me. You don’t have to show anything. Then you lose power and concentration and in the end the match. I only think I have to work, to keep concentrated, I need to win. I don’t care what the people think about me, how I look like. These 2 hours in a match are just work. But I like it that the people now see that I’m a different person off the court.

That took quite a while. You have been rebuffing to the press in the past. Now your press conferences are entertaining. Have we judged you wrong?

I think so. I have always been the same. But, as I already said, nobody asked me about anything apart from the match. I try now to be more loose towards the media, to answer what goes through my mind in the moment. Someting crazy.

Does your wife understand something about tennis?

My wife is my secret coach. She can explain to me exactly how I played like and what I did wrong. That’s good.

Do you pay her a fee?

That would be typically German. No, she can buy everything what she wants. I don’t made a marriage contract. 50 % belong to her. But she is very intelligent and she knows how hard it is to earn money. We aren’t really leading a frugal life, but fortunately I’m earning more money as we actually spend.

Do you make provision for the the future?

Of course. I can continue to play a bit in the Top 10, maybe Top 5, and earn money. I even have a sponsor now. I save money, make investments, without risks – exactly like Germans do.

Since you became the World Champion in wWnter you played so good that even Federer and Nadal were afraid of you. Did you enjoyed this?

For sure. They were afraid of me at the Australian Open. That surprised me. Everyone said I would be able to win there. That was unusual that people talked about me like this at a Grand Slam. It was pressure for me somehow, but also not bad as it meant more selfconfidence as I thought: Oh, I play that good?

In spring you were stopped by a fracture of your left wrist and you could come back to the tour just for the grass season. How do you feel?

I don’t have any pains during the matches. But 4 months ago I could nearly beat everyone easily. Now I barely have any selfconfidence. I have to start from the beginning after the injury. It doesn’t matter whether you are a topplayer. In your head you start from 0.

How does this show?

It’s very difficult for me to find back my game and my rhythm. I had to change the surfaces a lot in the last weeks, which doesn’t make it easier. Lately the Davis Cup in Moscow has destroyed me. Physically and the pressure was huge. People expected everything from me and I was very nervous. The result of this was also the early loss in Stuttgart.

That doesn’t sound very optimistic.

I hope things will be better here in Hamburg, but it will be really difficult to defend my title. I need power, luck and fight. My selfconfidence has to come back soon otherwise I have to retire.

German source: http://www.faz.net/s/Rub9CD731D06F17450CB39BE001000DD173/Doc~E1CFBE9AD04464CE8A2747191DFD90AC3~ATpl~Ecommon ~Scontent.html

misty1
07-20-2010, 07:24 PM
oh davy, please dont retire

hopefully he gets hos confidence back soon, but i cant believe that he feels this way

Crazy Girl
09-10-2010, 05:05 PM
I hadn't read this interview.
I'm happy than Niko feels as a German. I like very much the "Deutch Volk".
But I don't knew about this story to retire himself: I hope isn't true, and however, that he think very well about this possibility.
For me it shall be a shock, because I've just only two love: Niko and Roger!!

Please God!! Give Niko health and confidence!! He needs them so much!!

THANTS DORIS.

emotion
09-16-2010, 03:45 PM
He is soo funny...

He will play Malasya

alfonsojose
09-24-2010, 04:16 AM
Kolya, come back :(

Crazy Girl
09-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Kolya, come back :(

Yes Niko!!!!

Alfonso is saying well: COME BACK!!!:boxing::boxing::armed::armed::boxing: :boxing:

Crazy Girl
09-27-2010, 10:08 AM
COM'ON NIKO!!!

It's your turn.

misty1
09-27-2010, 01:12 PM
everyone that has been injured and been back on tour for a while now has now had some success

gasquet won a title

simon won in metz

it's truly should be davy's time

Crazy Girl
09-27-2010, 03:09 PM
everyone that has been injured and been back on tour for a while now has now had some success

gasquet won a title

simon won in metz

it's truly should be davy's time

misty, my friend. I hope you're right!

Keeping crossed our fingers!!:wavey::wavey::wavey:

GOGOGOGO NIKO!!!!:worship:

misty1
09-27-2010, 09:08 PM
trust me know one else hopes im right more than i do

castrationcult
01-09-2012, 02:06 PM
I've written a piece about Nikolay, who has always been one of my favourite players to watch :)

http://tennisniche.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/player-profile-nikolay-davydenko-fernando-verdasco/

Kat_YYZ
01-12-2012, 03:54 AM
I've written a piece about Nikolay, who has always been one of my favourite players to watch :)

http://tennisniche.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/player-profile-nikolay-davydenko-fernando-verdasco/

Interesting... thanks for posting :wavey:

Crazy Girl
05-07-2012, 04:25 PM

:worship::worship::worship: