**The Sweet Smell of Fresh Cut Grass: Newport** [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

**The Sweet Smell of Fresh Cut Grass: Newport**

Sweet4Richard
05-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Since the clay season is over for Andy, I decided to start a new grass tournament cheering thread. :)

Here is a tentative schedule:

-Queen's Club (1st round loss to Janko Tipsarevic 6-7 6-3 2-6) :fiery:
-Nottingham (Q/F loss to Andreas Seppi 6-7(4), 6-4, 1-6) :) Best result in a really long time
-Wimbledon (Round of 16 loss to Macos Baghdatis 3-6, 4-6, 6-7(2) :D )
- Newport, Rhode Island (Semifinal loss to Justin Gimelstob 1-6, 7-6) :cool:

Andy get your grass shoes on! :woohoo:

AndyMurrayMad
05-31-2006, 08:01 AM
Looking forward to queens especially going to watch andy there hope he does well.

Duncan
05-31-2006, 08:35 AM
Andy really does need to repeat last years performance at the very least. His ranking depends on it!

musefanatic
05-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Really looking forward to Queens and Wimbledon but i agree Duncan, he really needs to forget about last year and put it behind him.

Sweet4Richard
05-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Andy really does need to repeat last years performance at the very least. His ranking depends on it!

Exactly. This time last year he really made his huge breakthrough so he has some big points to defend.

Let's think positively that he can do it! :)

Aleksa's Laydee
06-01-2006, 08:26 PM
hopefully i'l see him at Queens or Wimbledon like last year :D

Duncan
06-02-2006, 08:26 AM
my girlfriend always says he's boring. What is he actually like to meet? i would love to meet him

Sweet4Richard
06-11-2006, 01:39 AM
Queen's Club

(1) NADAL, Rafael ESP v Bye
(WC) BAKER, Jamie GBR v (WC) FISH, Mardy USA
GREUL, Simon GER v Qualifier
LEE, Hyung-Taik KOR v (14) MATHIEU, Paul-Henri FRA

(10) JOHANSSON, Thomas SWE v MIRNYI, Max BLR
(WC) LOPEZ, Feliciano ESP v BRACCIALI, Daniele ITA
Qualifier v VICENTE, Fernando ESP
Bye v (8) HEWITT, Lleyton AUS

(4) DAVYDENKO, Nikolay RUS v Bye
WANG, Yeu-Tzuoo TPE v BJORKMAN, Jonas SWE
UDOMCHOKE, Danai THA v ZIB, Tomas CZE
(WC) BOGDANOVIC, Alex GBR v (15) TURSUNOV, Dmitry RUS

(12) AGASSI, Andre USA v HENMAN, Tim GBR
DELGADO, Ramon PAR v DLOUHY, Lukas CZE
BENNETEAU, Julien FRA v MAHUT, Nicolas FRA
Bye v (7) STEPANEK, Radek CZE

(6) GONZALEZ, Fernando CHI v Bye
RUSEDSKI, Greg GBR v Qualifier
MOODIE, Wesley RSA v (WC) PHILIPPOUSSIS, Mark AUS
MINAR, Ivo CZE v (11) GROSJEAN, Sebastien FRA

(16) SRICHAPHAN, Paradorn THA v NORMAN, Dick BEL
LU, Yen-Hsun TPE v MULLER, Gilles LUX
Qualifier v CARLSEN, Kenneth DEN
Bye v (3) RODDICK, Andy USA

(5) BLAKE, James USA v Bye
GIMELSTOB, Justin USA v SLUITER, Raemon NED
MURRAY, Andy GBR v TIPSAREVIC, Janko SCG :woohoo:
GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA v (9) GINEPRI, Robby USA

(13) MONFILS, Gael FRA v MELZER, Jurgen AUT
KUNITSYN, Igor RUS v REYNOLDS, Bobby USA
SABAU, Razvan ROM v VIK, Robin CZE
Bye v (2) LJUBICIC, Ivan CRO

Sweet4Richard
06-11-2006, 01:42 AM
The draw isn't terrible. It could have been much, much worse.

Janko is tough, but I expect Andy to get through. Possible 2nd round match against Robby who is having a horrible 2006 so far. He can play on grass, but I think he's only won like 3 matches or something this season.

Go Andy :)

Sweet4Richard
06-11-2006, 09:26 PM
http://www.stellaartoistennis.com/draws/orderofplay.asp

Monday OOP

Court TBD (NB 5:00pm)

M Bhupathi (IND)/R Stepanek (CZE) v M Llodra (FRA)/N Mahut (FRA)
S Grosjean (FRA)/A Murray(GBR) v P Goldstein (USA)/J Thomas (USA)

Go Andy et Seb! :bounce:

Sweet4Richard
06-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Andy and Seb won their doubles match today 6-3, 3-6, 10-6

:woohoo:

Sweet4Richard
06-12-2006, 11:21 PM
OOP for Tuesday

Centre Court
Matches Start At 12:30 PM
James BLAKE (USA) vs Justin GIMELSTOB (USA)
followed by
Andy MURRAY (GBR) vs Janko TIPSAREVIC (SCG) :banana:
followed by
Frank DANCEVIC (CAN) vs Andy RODDICK (USA)
followed by
Ivo MINAR (CZE) vs Sebastien GROSJEAN (FRA)

shyscots25
06-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Andy will win tomorrow easily.

Jarko is not tough at all and will be an easy win on grass if andy is even at 60%.

His Queen's draw is kind in my opinion, with the next round a kind one as well. Goldstein is rubbish and Ginepri whilst talented has had a miserable year. He would also be an ideal guy for Andy to play on grass. Once Andy got a feel for his serve, then it would be game over without a doubt.

I am looking at round 3 against Blake as an interesting match. Should be closer than last encounter. Will see how he performs in the early rounds first.

As for "defending" points this is frankly irrelevant chatter. Round 3 in an average ATP event is not big points for a start, wimby is a bit different admittedly but not a major issue. The thing to remember is Andy played very few ATP events after rhode island, and so there are plenty of free points to be had after wimby.

In any event, i predict Andy will reach at least the QF here at Queen's, with the same result at wimbledon very likely in my opinion. Grass is an excellent surface for Murray. His return prowess and use of slice can really slow things down and will force many unforced errors and easy points from even very good players. You saw that last year. Tactically Andy played superb on grass courts last year. Only fitness deprived him of defeats of both Johansson and Nalbandian.

Good Luck Andy, but Jarko will be easy easy peasy.

OddJob
06-13-2006, 01:31 AM
Best of luck to Andy vs Janko! Janko does have game but I dont know if it translates well to grass.

Sweet4Richard
06-14-2006, 02:12 AM
:bolt: The match was stopped today because of rain/lighting. Andy lost the first set 6-7(3), but was up in the 2nd set 5-2 before rain halted play.

I don't know what happened in that first set.

Sweet4Richard
06-14-2006, 02:15 AM
Rain Delay Halts Murray Fightback

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41762000/jpg/_41762216_murray_al203.jpg

Andy Murray saw his second-set fightback held up by rain at the Stella Artois Championships on Tuesday.

Murray, 19, was poised to level his first-round match against Serbian Janko Tipsarevic when rain stopped play.

Having lost the first set 7-6 (7-3), Murray battled back to lead the second 5-2 with advantage to his opponent.

Murray's volatile temper showed itself once again when he was given a code violation for foul language during the first-set tie-break. :o

Murray was caught up in a similar controversy in April when the British Davis Cup team were fined £1,434 for his foul-mouthed outburst at the umpire when he was playing Tipsarevic's Serbian team-mates.

The Scottish teenager made a patchy start to his singles campaign at Queen's Club, squandering several chances to take control before conceding the first set.

He blew an early break to fall a break behind himself, and had to save three set points on his own serve in the ninth game in order to keep the set alive.

But more errors allowed Tipsarevic to race through the tie-breaker 7-3 and leave Murray with an uphill task.

Murray looked to be heading for an early exit when he feebly dropped his opening service game of the second set but battled back strongly to break his Serbian opponent twice in succession.

Having squandered one set point on the Tipsarevic serve, the set was left at 5-2 when the black clouds finally burst and play was suspended.

Murray is aiming to join compatriot Tim Henman in the second round after the other four Britons all went out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5074278.stm

Sweet4Richard
06-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Andy lost 6-2 in the third :help:

Sweet4Richard
06-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Bad-tempered Murray down and out

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41764000/jpg/_41764370_am203.jpg

Briton Andy Murray crashed out of the Stella Artois Championships with a lacklustre 6-7 6-3 2-6 loss to Serbia's Janko Tipsarevic on Wednesday.

Murray, 19, the British number two, lost the first set 3-7 in a tie-break but fought back to 5-2 and advantage before rain halted play on Tuesday.

On the resumption, Murray won the second set but fell away in the third as he fought to control his emotions.

The Scot saved two match points but Tipsarevic maintained his grip to win.

Tipsarevic held his serve when the players returned at 1130 BST on Wednesday but Murray, the world number 45, clinched the set to force a decider, only to lose his own serve in the second game.

From then on, Tipsarevic grew in confidence as Murray, who was given a code violation for foul language during the first-set tie-break, seemed to fight an internal battle as the match slipped away.

He muttered, yelled and whacked the net with his racquet, while Tipsarevic produced some authentic serve-and-volley tennis to overpower his young opponent ranked 69 places above him in the world.

Murray said: "There's no point living in the past and I have to think positively. I know I played well at Wimbledon last year and I know I can play well on grass.

"I'm ranked in the world top 50 and I'm only 19 so I'm not worrying about things right now. I just have to win some tighter matches and play more consistently.

"Last year wasn't easy for me because I was very nervous and it was all pretty new to me. Now there is a bit more expected of me because I did so well."

Murray is still without a coach after firing Mark Petchey in April and has been tentatively linked to American Brad Gilbert as part of a joint initiative with the Lawn Tennis Association.

"I am obviously still looking for someone and it is not the easiest to find," said Murray.

"I think after Wimbledon and before Cincinnati and Toronto I should have found a coach by then.

"Now for I have to go and take a bit of time to think about how I played and what I need to do to make sure I improve on the things I did badly today."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5079488.stm

Sweet4Richard
06-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Thursday

Andy and Seb will later take on the Bryan Brothers in doubles.

Sweet4Richard
06-15-2006, 05:38 PM
The Bryan Brothers won 7-6, 6-4.

shyscots25
06-17-2006, 08:21 AM
No more Andy predictions for me!! Everytime i feel confident about him performing this year he seems to collapse to miserable failure. It certainly has been a harsh learning experience these last few months. I sense Andy's frustration growing, you could see it on court. He is used to winning, he has always been winning. Hopefully he can channel that angst in the correct way and come out better for wimbledon and beyond. He desperately needs a new coach, he is lacking direction. 19 year old guys are better told "do this", rather than work it out for themselves. Losing to Tipsarevic was Andy's worst result this year IMO.

I don't know what to expect at Wimby, i just pray for a kind draw, but perhaps a tough one might be better in some ways!

Sweet4Richard
06-17-2006, 08:45 PM
He asked for a WC into Nottingham and got it!! Let's just hope he takes advantage of it! :)

Main Draw:

(1)Johansson vs Q
Simon vs Q
Gasquet vs Malisse
Bracciali vs (6)Almagro

(4)Verdasco vs Mahut
Soderling vs Gimelstob
Bloomfield vs Q
Q vs (7)Srichapan

(6)Mathieu vs Vanek
Bjorkman vs Calleri
Goldstein vs Moodie
F.Lopez vs (3)O.Rochus

(5)Tursunov vs Murray
Bogdanovic vs Mirnyi
Wawrinka vs Seppi
Wang vs (2)Hrbaty

Sweet4Richard
06-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Doubles Draw:

Erlich/Ram [1]
vs
Delgado/Lee

Gasquet/Mahut
vs
Rochus/Simon

Fisher/Kerr [4]
vs
Goldstein/Thomas

Bracciali/Hrbaty
vs
Almagro/Wang

Murray/Murray
vs
Gimelstob/Wawrinka

Kunitsyn/Tursunov
vs
Levinsky/Lindstedt [3]

Coetzee/Parrott
vs
Malisse/Mathieu

Srichaphan/Udomchoke
vs
Huss/Moodie [2]

Sweet4Richard
06-17-2006, 09:04 PM
He desperately needs a new coach, he is lacking direction. 19 year old guys are better told "do this", rather than work it out for themselves.

I agree. Andy does need a coach to give him guidance during these matches. He's not good enough to coach himself as Roger did in 2004. He needs someone to tell him what to do against each opponent.

I also think there are a few problems going on with Andy besides the coach situation. He needs to address them and if he doesn't, he will continue to lose matches that he shouldn't lose. I'm not trying to take anything away from Andy's opponents, but with his talent he shouldn't be losing to some of them.

There have been some suggestions that Andy goes back to the challenger level just to refind his game.

Sweet4Richard
06-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Monday 19 June 2006

Centre Court (11:30 AM)

Fisher/Kerr vs Goldstein/Thomas
N.B 01:30 PM: Johansson vs Vacek
Udomchoke vs Srichapan
A.Murray/J.Murray vs Gimelstob/Wawrinka

:bounce:

musefanatic
06-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Good luck to Andy, Tursunov is gonna be hard to break! I'm sure he has a chance though at doing it and can fly the flag for the Brits since Greg and his poor hip. Good luck in doubles too, see what they're made of, especially Jamie :)

shyscots25
06-19-2006, 07:39 AM
Tursunov is a good draw for Andy!! He needs to beat a decent player for some confidence, and after that the draw isn't too bad at all. Ideally he wants 3 or 4 matches here before the real business again.

He needs to regain that winning feeling! The doubles in an event like this is just a bit of fun and match time for him, and a chance to play with his brother.

Grenouille
06-19-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't think it will be easy for Andy to win his first round match.

Sweet4Richard
06-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Gimbelstob/Warwrinka def. Andy and Jaime 4-0 (ret.) :sad:

I'm trying to see who retired and why.

Sweet4Richard
06-19-2006, 06:27 PM
OOP for Tuesday:

Centre Court
Matches Start At 11:30 AM
Jonathan ERLICH (ISR)/Andy RAM (ISR) vs Jamie DELGADO (GBR)/Martin LEE (GBR)
NOT BEFORE 1:00 PM
Dmitry TURSUNOV (RUS) vs Andy MURRAY (GBR)
followed by
Richard GASQUET (FRA) vs Ivan NAVARRO PASTOR (ESP)

shyscots25
06-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Nothing to worry about. From the tournament website:

shyscots25
06-19-2006, 08:54 PM
"In the final centre court match of the day, British doubles duo Jamie and Andy Murray were playing for the first time ever together in an ATP tournament. Playing Justin Gimelstob (USA) and Stanislas Wawrinka (Switzerland ), the Murray's were 0-4 down in the first set when Jamie Murray retired with a knee injury to give the doubles match to Gimelstob and Wawrinka."

Sweet4Richard
06-20-2006, 02:26 PM
At least it wasn't Andy^^^

Andy def. Tursunov 6-4, 6-3 :woohoo: Finally!!!!

Sweet4Richard
06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Murray Through After Injury Scare

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41774000/jpg/_41774562_murray.jpg

Andy Murray overcame an injury scare to beat Dmitry Tursunov 6-4 6-3 in the first round of the Nottingham Open.
The British wildcard, who saved four break points, won the first set despite needing five minutes of treatment to his right ankle after slipping over.

He limped occasionally in the next set but got the crucial break in the second game and sealed a fine victory over the fifth seed on his second match point.

Meanwhile, Alex Bogdanovic was defeated 4-6 7-6 6-3 by Max Mirnyi of Belarus.

Murray is searching for form ahead of Wimbledon after losing in the first round of the Stella Artois Championships last week.

The 19-year-old had won only three of his last 12 matches before the event.

But he struggled with the condition of the court, which top seed Thomas Johansson had described as dangerous following his first-round defeat to Jan Vacek.

During the final game of the set, Murray went over on his ankle as he attempted to make an awkward lob backhand.

He limped back to his chair and had the treatment before returning to action and coming back from advantage down to take the set.

The world number 45 was still feeling the injury in the second set but looked too strong for his opponent and claimed the win with an overturned line call.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5087268.stm

Sweet4Richard
06-20-2006, 02:29 PM
DANGER' COURT WON'T PUT SKIDS UNDER BRAVE MURRAY
By Martin Rogers

ANDY MURRAY last night insisted he will not fear a pre-Wimbledon injury when he steps on to Nottingham's "dangerous" centre court today.

Murray takes on Russia's Dmitry Tursunov on a surface that has been heavily criticised.

Top seed Thomas Johansson, a 6-7 7-6 4-6 loser to Jan Vacek, claimed players could hurt themselves at the Red Letter Days Open. He said: "I thought it was very wet and dangerous to play. If the court is like this and they continue to play, then someone is going to get injured - 100 per cent."

Murray's brother, Jamie, was forced to withdraw from the pair's first round doubles match after just four games with a knee injury, although he was adamant it was not caused by the conditions.

Murray, though, insisted he is not worried ahead of his first-round clash with fifth seed Tursunov, despite the concerns raised by Johansson. The Scot said: "You can't afford to be thinking about things like that before you go out to play a match. Thomas Johansson played a pretty long match and he did not get injured and no one has got injured because of the conditions so far."

Young Briton Richard Bloomfield, 23, yesterday lost 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 to Serbia's Janko Tipsarevic.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/tm_objectid=17258492%26method=full%26siteid=94762% 26headline=%2ddanger%2d%2dcourt%2dwon%2dt%2dput%2d skids%2dunder%2dbrave%2dmurray-name_page.html

musefanatic
06-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Great win for Andy, not Tursunov's chicken this time! :lol: Hope his injury's not too bad :)

Raquel
06-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Well done Andy :yeah: Good win over a seed and someone who did a lot better last week than Andy

Grenouille
06-20-2006, 09:58 PM
I hope his injury isn't too serious.

Sweet4Richard
06-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Center Court - 11:30 AM
Malisse/Mathieu vs Huss/Moodie
Andy Murray vs Max Mirnyi
Richard Gasquet vs Daniele Bracciali
Janko Tipsarevic vs Paradorn Srichaphan

Go Andy!!! :woohoo:

Sweet4Richard
06-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Murray said he will decide on Wednesday whether he will carry on in the tournament, with Wimbledon starting next Monday.

"I slipped and felt my Achilles tendon jar," he said. "You can tell 20 to 30 seconds after if it's bad because the pain is pretty sharp but I felt I could probably carry on and right now it just feels like it is bruised.

"Obviously this tournament is still important, but it's not the same as playing at Wimbledon so I'll take stock in the morning.

"I will speak to the trainer again and I will phone my physio Jean-Pierre Bruyere and ask him what I should do.

"I'm sure the injury will be iced and I should be okay but I will just have to wait and see."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5087268.stm

Get Well Soon Andy! :hug: I hope its not too serious.

shyscots25
06-20-2006, 11:23 PM
A much needed win for Andy!

Hope he can play tomorrow, he needs the matches and now has a fairly nice draw. Mirnyi is someone Andy can beat if he is fit and up for it! Good to see him back to winning ways. A lot of people were tipping Andy to lose this one, so it was nice to see some of the Andy doubters proved wrong.

Duncan
06-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Andy beats Max in straight sets and plays Seppi in the quarters! Woohooo!!! :D

Grenouille
06-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Andyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Well done!

Sweet4Richard
06-21-2006, 08:02 PM
:woohoo: A really nice win for Andy today!! :banana:

Sweet4Richard
06-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Murray Through After Battling Win

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41795000/jpg/_41795026_murraywin.jpg

Andy Murray has secured back-to-back wins for the first time since February by beating Max Mirnyi 7-6 6-4 in the second round of the Nottingham Open.
The 19-year-old was forced to come back from 3-0 down after losing his first service game but battled back to take the first set 7-2 in the tie-break.

The second set went with serve until the final game when Murray broke with a volley into an open court.

Murray will now meet Italian Andreas Seppi in the quarter-finals.

Seppi reached the last eight thanks to a surprise 7-5 7-5 victory over Slovakian second seed Dominik Hrbaty.

Murray, who had been struggling for form coming into this event, looked to be on his way out after going 3-0 and 4-1 down in the first set.

But the Scot got used to the blustery conditions and levelled the set at 4-4 after breaking the big-serving Mirnyi in the seventh game.

There was a brief scare in the 11th game when he slipped on the greasy surface but unlike his first-round tie, he did not need treatment and was able to take the set after dominating the tie-break.

The second set was pretty routine until the final game when Murray delivered the last of his numerous perfectly placed lobs to give him match point.

He sealed victory on the next after bringing Mirnyi into the net with a drop shot which was returned but left Murray with an easy volley.

"It was tough," said Murray. "It was so windy in the first set and at the start of the second. I went a break down early on but did well to come back.

"It was so difficult to get in on his service game because he got so many first serves in but once I got a handle on his serves I was in a position to win.

"I played a few nice shots. It was a pretty good performance apart from a few backhands."

Murray said there were a number of reasons for his improved form since last week, when he was knocked out of the Stella Artois Championships at Queen's Club in the first round by Janko Tipsarevic.

"Last week was an unacceptable performance," said the Scot.

"That was a combination of me not playing well, my attitude on court not being great and generally just playing a negative game.

"So far I've had an aggressive attitude here, while I've also been much more laid-back because I know I'm playing the right way.

"I know I'm good enough to win matches against good players when I have the right attitude, so I'm not feeling any pressure."

shyscots25
06-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes another good win, and just when needed. After Andy's year i refuse to get carried away, but he does sound more positive, and Seppi is someone Andy can handle on grass if he plays a solid match. He could do really well here. Lopez is likely in the semi's and he plays a good way for Andy. He isn't powerful, and plays from the back which suits Andy. Compared to some though he does mix it up at times, and can execute some sublime volleys. When playing well Lopez is easy on the eye, a very elegant tennis player. Did well at wimby last year as we all remember. Let's see how Andy does tomorrow against Seppi.

Keep the wins coming!!

Sweet4Richard
06-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Centre Court
Matches start at 1.30 pm
Andy Murray (GBR) vs Andreas Seppi (ITA)

followed by
Gilles Simon (FRA) vs Richard Gasquet (FRA)

followed by
Jonas Bjorkman (SWE) vs Feliciano Lopez (ESP)

Good Luck Andy!!! :banana:

I think he can handle Seppi for the most part, but you never know. I don't want to get carried away or anything. Its going to be tough, but hopefully he will be riding his wave of confidence that's he on. I know two matches isn't a lot, but for the way he's been playing recently its a start :)

Sweet4Richard
06-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Murray needs a coach - Ivanisevic
By Paul Birch

Goran Ivanisevic says Andy Murray needs a coach to help him through the grass-court season.

Former Wimbledon champion Ivanisevic believes playing without a coach since sacking Mark Petchey in April has led to Murray's inconsistent form.

"This is a very important four-week spell for him and he needs a coach or someone off-court who can help him with his game," he told BBC Sport.

"He can become a very good player but only if he has someone to guide him."

Murray has enjoyed an upturn in form at Nottingham this week, and takes on Andreas Seppi in the third round at approximately 1500 BST on Thursday.

He cut a frustrated figure on court at Queen's Club last week but his temperament is something that Ivanisevic, not surprisingly, can relate to.

"I like his fiery temperament and it's an important part of his game," said the 2001 Wimbledon champion.

"But he should look at John McEnroe as an example to help him channel his anger. He was the master at doing that.

"I used to take spells between sets to calm down and focus and it is important Murray does that too."

And Ivanisevic feels that the patriotic crowd at SW19 could be just what Murray needs to help his performances.

"He needs to use the crowd to his advantage.

"Once he has got them on his side then that is a massive help for him," said Ivanisevic.

Ivanisevic's focus on the build-up to Wimbledon this year has been somewhat distracted by his beloved Croatia's displays as the World Cup.

But it is not patriotism that is making him tip compatriot Mario Ancic to enjoy an excellent tournament at SW19.

Ancic burst to prominence when he defeated Roger Federer in straight sets in 2002 and Ivanisevic believes he could do the same again.

"He is the best serve-volleyer in the game at the moment," the 35-year-old said of Ancic.

"He has been in the semis before and he has become more aggressive and he believes he can do it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5096460.stm

ANDY MURRAY http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/bsp/hi/image_maps/06/1150000000/1150446379/img/men_06_416.gif
Odds: 50/1

-Full name - Andrew Barron Murray. That's BARRON.

-Also known as - Kevin the Teenager.

-Wimbledon high - Shortly after Tim Henman trudged off court after a dispiriting second-round loss last year, Murray blew away the disappointment for the British fans by crushing 14th seed Radek Stepanek.

-Wimbledon low - The newspaper and television debates on whether Henman Hill should be renamed Murray Mount or Murrayfield. Can't we just call it Aorangi Terrace?

-Celebrity status - Not really been seen on the celebrity circuit yet, but being cheered on by the legendary Sean Connery on your Centre Court debut isn't a bad start.

-In his own words - "I'm not really too sure what I love about tennis - I just enjoy winning."

-Need to know - At the age of 12, the promising striker was offered a trial by Rangers, but he is actually a fan of Hibs, the club his grandfather Roy Erskine played for.

-Grass rating - 7/10

I didn't know his middle name was Barron :eek:

Duncan
06-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Andy played very poor today, his serve was just too inconsistent :(

Sweet4Richard
06-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Andy :smash:

Sweet4Richard
06-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Frustrated Murray beaten by Seppi
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41800000/jpg/_41800208_murray270.jpg

Andy Murray went out of the Nottingham Open in the quarter-finals after a 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 1-6 defeat to Andreas Seppi.
Murray looked to have seized the momentum when he levelled the match at one set all in blustery conditions.

The 19-year-old was the better player at the start of the deciding set but he failed to take advantage and his frustration got the better of him.

Seppi broke serve at 2-1 and won the next three games to reach his first grass-court semi-final.

Murray was the highest-ranked player left in the draw and previous opponent Max Mirnyi had tipped the teenager to win the title.

However, Seppi, who had won only one match on grass before this year, proved to be a tricky opponent.

The Italian, world-ranked 72, kept his composure throughout in testing conditions, while Murray struggled to maintain his.

Murray had a 30-0 lead in Seppi's opening service game of the third set and then deuce in the next but could not capitalise.

Seppi reeled off five games in a row and goes on to face Jonas Bjorkman or Feliciano Lopez.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5107664.stm

Duncan
06-22-2006, 08:16 PM
on a plus note i reckon he was thinking about wimbledon. so if he gets a good draw then im full of confidence of him making it further than he did last year!

shyscots25
06-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Will play Massu in first round which is a good draw. Massu has never done well on grass and Andy can compete well here. The second round looks good too, and the carrot for Andy is a possible third round match-up with Andy Roddick. He is in a good quarter of the draw and i have high hopes if he can find his form. Looking at it he should be the best brit again this year. I find it exciting and just can't wait for it all to start!!

Sweet4Richard
06-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Lleyton Hewitt (Aus) (6) v Filippo Volandri (Ita)
Flavio Saretta (Bra) v Hyung Taik Lee (Kor)
Albert Montanes (Spa) v Tomas Zib (Cze)
Gilles Muller (Lux) v Olivier Rochus (Bel) (26)
David Ferrer (Spa) (23) v Simon Stadler (Ger)
Ivo Minar (Cze) v Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (Spa)
Greg Rusedski (Gbr) v Marat Safin (Rus)
Luis Horna (Per) v Fernando Gonzalez (Chi) (10)
Sebastien Grosjean (Fra) (15) v Gilles Simon (Fra)
Jamie Delgado (Gbr) v Michael Berrer (Ger)
Marcel Granollers-Pujol (Spa) v Andrei Pavel (Rom)
Alan Mackin (Gbr) v Marcos Baghdatis (Cyp) (18)
Nicolas Massu (Chi) (31) v Andrew Murray (Gbr)
Bjorn Phau (Ger) v Julien Benneteau (Fra)
Robin Vik (Cze) v Florian Mayer (Ger)
Janko Tipsarevic (Ser) v Andy Roddick (USA) (3)

Its not a terrible opening round match (compared to some others), but its still dangerous. Hopefully Andy can have a good run and win some matches :yeah:

Matthias13
06-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Andy will also play mixed doubles with Kirsten Flipkens in Wimbledon :D . There will be a lot of attention for Kirsten now that she will be playing with Great-Britain's favourite. Good for her !!!

COME ON BELGIANS !!! :worship:

Sweet4Richard
06-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Andy Murray on Andre Agassi:

"He changed tennis I think. He made tennis a cool sport. He made it big in America and I think he was probably one of the first tennis players to be a worldwide celebrity.

"He had a great personality but he backed it up on the tennis court.

"I saw him win the French Open in 1999, to win all four slams, that's got to be one of the biggest moments in tennis history.

"Not too many people have done that. He's achieved pretty much everything.

"To lose someone like him is a shame for the game. Guys like him don't come around too often. It's going to feel a little different without him being on the tour."

musefanatic
06-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Awww how sweet of Andy to say that about Andre. :) All true of course. Good luck to Andy for Wimbie, massu's gonna be a toughie i think :)

Sweet4Richard
06-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Andy will play his opening round match against Massu on Tuesday.
:)

shyscots25
06-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes indeed he certainly will. Weather permitting he shall grace the centre court as the last match of the day.

C'Mon Andy!!!!!!!

Lina
06-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Amazing match. :)
Impressive start by our Andy Murray! :)

Sweet4Richard
06-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Andy won 6-1, 6-4, 6-4 :woohoo:

I saw pieces of the match and he looked to be playing pretty well. He only got broken as he was serving for the match in the third set, but other than that he was coming up with some greats shots. He did overuse the drop shot a bit, but other than that he looked pretty good :)

Sweet4Richard
06-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Murray shines in Wimbledon opener
By Mike Burnett
BBC Sport at Wimbledon

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41819000/jpg/_41819486_murray1_al203.jpg
British star Andy Murray got off to a dream start at Wimbledon with an emphatic win against Nicolas Massu.

Murray, who reached the third round on his debut last year, beat the Chilean 6-1 6-4 6-4 in one hour 53 minutes.

The Scot, 19, signalled his intent by racing to a 5-0 lead as clay-courter Massu struggled on the grass.

Murray went on to claim the set and then rattled off the next two to earn a second-round clash with German Bjorn Phau or Julien Benneteau of France.

Murray returned to the scene of his big breakthrough last year in confident style.

Despite some inconsistency in recent months, the teenager looked in top form as he dominated his 31st-seeded opponent from the outset with a wide range of drop-shots and slices.

Murray was naturally delighted with his performance, which he ranked as one of his best.

"I couldn't have started better," he said. "I returned really well - I hardly missed a return when I got my racquet on it, and I had so many chances to break him in the second set, I'm a little disappointed I had to close out at 5-4.

"The whole match was pretty solid - I was really consistent. I expected a real tough match but clearly did everything he didn't like and everything I do really well.

"I thought it was a really good match, I didn't do anything wrong. That's definitely the best match I've played on grass this year."

An out-of-sorts Massu had to wait until the sixth game to hold a serve before Murray claimed the first set.

The Chilean, 26, put up more of battle in the second, but Murray got the vital break at 2-1 on his way to a two-set lead.

In the third, Massu had a chance to claw something back when he earned his first break point at 1-1, but Murray nullified the threat before breaking him twice.

A break back from Massu at 5-3 down was not enough to stop Murray eventually closing out for a comprehensive win in front of a delighted home crowd on Centre Court.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5122674.stm

Sweet4Richard
06-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Murray role tempts coach Gilbert

Brad Gilbert says he will wait until the end of Wimbledon before deciding whether to take up the chance to coach Britain's Andy Murray.
Gilbert, the former coach of Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick, is currently working as a commentator for ESPN.

"At the end of the tournament, we'll see what happens but nothing is imminent," Gilbert told BBC Sport.

LTA chief Roger Draper said his organisation would fund the move, but Murray said it was not "a done deal".

"Nothing's been set yet," Murray told BBC Sport.

"He's one of a few coaches I've been speaking to but it's not a done deal."

The 44-year-old Gilbert was hailed as "the greatest coach of all time" by Agassi, a player he helped win six Grand Slam titles and an Olympic gold medal.

He also guided Roddick win the US Open before parting company with him in late 2004.

"I get mentioned in connection with a lot of jobs. I'm flattered but, for the moment, I'm working for ESPN," added Gilbert.

"A lot will depend on my family. I have a wife and three kids and my son's going to go to college. These are all things I need to think about and figure out - I can't tell you this moment.

"I've had a chance to play, I've had a chance to coach and I've had a chance to do TV - I'm almost 45 years old and I've never worked a day in my life.

"I get to get up and do tennis, that's my passion and I do enjoy coaching a lot.

"I haven't watched Andy play a lot but from what I've seen he's got a lot of talent and he has the ability to go a long way in the game."

Gilbert enjoyed a successful playing career, reaching fourth in the world rankings in 1990.

But it is as a coach that Gilbert has really excelled, making him one of the most in-demand in the world - and Draper said he accepted Gilbert's services would not come cheap.

A reported salary of £500,000 would test the LTA's resolve, but Draper said he would be prepared to pay for an acknowledged coaching star.

"If you're going to get the best coaches in the world, you're going to have to pay for them," Draper, who said he would also like Gilbert to work with other young British players and help develop coaches, told BBC Sport.

"We would be willing to pay whatever it would cost to get Andy into the top 10 and drive British tennis and improve confidence and belief across the sport.

"If we can get people like Brad on board that will be fantastic, not just for Andy, but for British tennis.

"We've been looking at the resources in the LTA, the board have been working hard at reallocating those resources because we actually want to spend more on the players and the coaches.

"I think he does want Brad as his coach but there's a lot of detail to go through in terms of how that might work in the future."

Leon Smith, the man who coached Murray for six years until he was 17 years old, told BBC Sport that his former charge needed a big-name coach.

Smith teamed up again with Murray at this month's French Open on a temporary basis.

"It will make a big difference to him having a top, top level coach because I think he'll listen to them," he said.

"I think he's waiting for someone to really talk with him and shape his game to the next stage."

Murray was 11 years old when he started working with Smith, and last year he teamed up with Mark Petchey before the pair parted company in April.

"I think he wanted someone in place for Wimbledon but that wasn't to be," said Smith, who is now an LTA national coach.

"Where he is right now, with all the expectations on him, I think it would be good to have a big name coach that could shoulder some of that responsibility and can deal with the press.

"It's a big responsibility and also he's a certain character as well, so you have to get to know him and what makes him tick.

"That's where it's important to have continuity - to build the relationship."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5120406.stm

Sweet4Richard
06-27-2006, 08:33 PM
The making of Murray
By Piers Newbery
BBC Sport at Wimbledon

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41817000/jpg/_41817536_murray_pa2_270.jpg

A year on from his Wimbledon breakthrough, the pressure on Andy Murray is reaching ever-higher levels and criticism is never far away.

Whether it is the 19-year-old's form, fitness or on-court demeanour, there have been plenty of people ready to give an opinion on Murray over the last 12 months.

Leon Smith is better placed than most to comment, the 30-year-old fellow Scot having coached Murray for six years until two years ago.

And Smith is keen to defend the British number two after some bad press surrounding the teenager's on-court outbursts.

"I think he's great fun but sometimes from the outside looking in I've heard people describe him as grumpy and moaning - he's not like that," Smith told BBC Sport.

"When you get to know him he's good fun and loves practical jokes. He's really competitive, that's clear.

"Even off the court whether you're playing table tennis, snooker, backgammon, he wants to win. That's what you want because he's a champion, a winner."

Smith, who is now an LTA national coach, has known Murray since he himself was a junior and the five-year-old Murray would take him on at short tennis.

"He would play non-stop and he was always good," said Smith.

"At eight years old he was winning national level events in Britain at under-10, so he was two years ahead of the game. He has always had that winning mentality."

Smith officially took over coaching duties when Murray was 11 years old and remained in position even when his charge went to the Sanchez Casal academy in Barcelona aged 15.

He describes Murray's decision, aged 17, to end their working partnership as "time to move on, and I think it was right for him".

Since then, Murray has worked with Pato Alvarez and, until April, Mark Petchey, and the Scot now looks close to naming a new coach, possibly Brad Gilbert.

And Smith believes the national press should get behind Murray - for their own sake.

"It's quite easy to take a pot-shot at him but the press need Andy Murray around," said Smith.

"If there's no Andy Murray, and Tim and Greg retire, there's a lot of people going to be out of work because there's simply not a big enough market in British tennis if there's no-one in the top 100.

"So I think it's important everyone gets behind him, wants him to succeed and is patient with him because he's young and he's not a Nadal.

"People forget that Nadal, when he first broke into the top 50, stayed there for a full year before making the next jump.

"Andy's still well on course for becoming top 10 in the world - he's hit every target so far."

Meanwhile, the search goes on for the young British players who will follow in Murray's footsteps.

With the LTA set to unveil a state-of-the-art £39m national tennis centre next year, Smith points out that top-quality international players must be attracted to use the facility and so inspire British juniors.

And, if needs be, he would be happy to see more British youngsters follow Murray's example and learn their trade on foreign soil.

"We need to create the buzzing, thriving environments that we don't have at the moment," he said.

"In the meantime, if someone's got good ability and needs to go to Spain or the Bollittieri academy, we should send them there.

"There are maybe four, five good British juniors at the moment but it's now a question of learning from what we did with Andy, who's the only example we have right now."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5120790.stm

Sweet4Richard
06-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Andy Murray got into trouble a few weeks ago by saying he would be supporting Paraguay in their opening World Cup match against England.

But Tim Henman apparently got his own back on the Scottish teen on Monday.

Blogging for his newly-launched official website, Murray revealed: "Tim was winding me up about the England-Ecuador match, telling me that none of the teams in the World Cup could beat England.

"Think there was a hint of sarcasm in there tho!"

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41817000/jpg/_41817590_murray_al203.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41819000/jpg/_41819748_murraywin416.jpg

musefanatic
06-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Great win for Andy, well done!! :)

Good luck in the next round :)

Sweet4Richard
06-29-2006, 12:45 AM
Fired-up Murray returns to action
By Piers Newbery
BBC Sport at Wimbledon

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41824000/jpg/_41824406_murray_getty_270.jpg

Andy Murray returns to the Centre Court spotlight at Wimbledon on Thursday looking to match last year's run to the third round.

The Briton will hope to repeat the form that saw him beat Nicolas Massu in round one when he takes on Julien Benneteau in the final match on Centre.

British compatriots Martin Lee, Jamie Delgado, Melanie South and Sarah Borwell are also in action.

And Andre Agassi, Rafael Nadal, Andy Roddick and Venus Williams also play.

Murray knows he will have a battle on his hands and said: "It's going to be a tough one because Benneteau made the quarters of the French Open.

But Benneteau also knows he will have problems to overcome - although in his case it is the British fans.

"I will play against the new star of Britain because everyone is behind him and it will be difficult for me because now he is at home like I was in Paris. Now it is his turn," he said.

"There was a very good atmosphere for him when he played last year and this year it will be the same or maybe more.

"But if it can put a bit of pressure on him that will be good for me for sure."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5125030.stm

Sweet4Richard
06-29-2006, 12:47 AM
I don't know if you guys have been reading Andy's blog at his official site, but its pretty cool if you want to take a look:

http://www.andymurray.com/locker-room/blog/

shyscots25
06-29-2006, 08:09 AM
Andy will win today, but might drop a set. If he can get through the next match is so exciting, because i am sure he can beat Roddick. Roddick's confidence is fragile and form ropey despite his obvious pedigree here. He really has a superb draw all round considering and i believe he can go further than expected here.

musefanatic
06-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Come on Andy! Get the fourth set!! :)

Sweet4Richard
06-29-2006, 11:30 PM
Andy was leading 7-6(5), 6-4, 4-6 before the match was suspended because of darkness. He will contine his match 2nd on Centre Court tomorrow after Blake vs. the Beast. I didn't see any of his match so I have no idea how he was playing. From what I've heard, he should have won this in straight sets.

Andy's mixed doubles match is also tomorrow

Court 13--->Mixed Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Robert Lindstedt (SWE)/Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) vs. Andy Murray (GBR)/Kirsten Flipkens (BEL)

Some photos from his match:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41829000/jpg/_41829144_murraywoop300.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41829000/jpg/_41829284_fall416.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41829000/jpg/_41829408_murraynew203.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41829000/jpg/_41829444_mu_getty_270.jpg

Sweet4Richard
06-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Murray match halted by darkness
By Caroline Cheese
BBC Sport at Wimbledon

Andy Murray must wait until Friday to complete his second-round match against Julien Benneteau after bad light brought play to an end on Centre Court.

Murray was leading 7-6 (7-5) 6-4 4-6 when play stopped at 2052 BST.

Benneteau had been a break up in each of the first two sets, but Murray fought back brilliantly to take both.

The British number two then surrendered a break of his own in the third and Benneteau stunned the crowd by converting his first set point.

It was a disappointing end to what had promised to be a relatively routine win for Murray, who for the second year running finds himself as the last surviving Briton at Wimbledon.

An ill-advised drop shot saw the 19-year-old lose his serve in the fifth game of the opening set but Benneteau, making his Centre Court debut in front of a partisan crowd, lost his nerve.

The Frenchman double-faulted at 4-3 to go 40-0 down and a forehand into the net saw Murray draw level.

The eventual tie-break was a tense affair but again it was Benneteau, five years Murray's senior, who crumbled.

He double-faulted again at 5-5, and Murray, who landed less than half of his first serves all set, found a deep delivery when he needed it to clinch the set.

The crowd again had to endure some anxious moments as Murray went 3-1 down in the second set and then slipped awkwardly on the grass.

But the teenager picked himself up and broke back, before winning the next four games with some commanding baseline play.

With the second set under his belt, Murray looked set to cruise through the third when he broke in the opening game.

However, he seemed to lose his focus and allowed Benneteau back in.

The crowd sensed the danger and cheered on Murray with increasing urgency, but the Scot was undone when at 30-30 and 4-5, a lucky netcord handed Benneteau a set point.

Murray went long with a forehand, and marched disconsolately back to his chair as the umpire announced the match would be suspended.

The winner of the match will face third seed Andy Roddick, who came through his second-round match against Florian Mayer in straight sets late on Thursday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5131198.stm

shyscots25
06-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Murray will win today, i have few doubts about it.

Bring on Roddick!!!!

kundalini
06-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Difficult to see how Andy Murray can last long enough to beat Roddick. If it weren't for the fitness issue, it might be possible, but as it is his only chance is to serve at a level we have not seen all year, and hope Roddick plays one or two hopeless service games each set.

A far more likely scenario is that Murray plays some decent tennis in the first two hours then fades badly in the heat and loses in four.

Sweet4Richard
06-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Andy won today 6-1 in the 4th set. I actually got to see the set and he played very well. He saved a breakpoint or two I believe and he came out firing. :woohoo:

Kirsten and Andy have won their mixed doubles match 6-3, 6-4. Breaking in the fourth game of the first set, they held their serve to win it six games to three. The second set began and they trailed 2-0 after an early service break. But they came back at 2-2, and then broke in the 9th game before holding again and winning their first match. In the next round, they take onAnna-Lena Groenefeld & Frantisek Cermak, the 16th seed. :bigclap:

Sweet4Richard
06-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Murray wraps up Benneteau victory
By Caroline Cheese
BBC Sport at Wimbledon

Andy Murray needed only 26 minutes on Friday to complete victory over Julien Benneteau and book a third-round meeting with Andy Roddick.

The match had been suspended by bad light on Thursday after Benneteau had fought his way back into the match.

But Murray returned on Friday in commanding form and broke twice to complete a 7-5 (7-5) 6-4 4-6 6-1 win.

The 19-year-old, in the last 32 for the second year running, will face twice former finalist Roddick on Saturday.

Murray received criticism from the likes of John McEnroe and Michael Stich for the way he allowed Benneteau to stay alive in the match by taking the third set on Thursday.

However the teenager put it down to bad luck.

"I thought I played really well the whole match," he told BBC Sport.

"I just got a bit unlucky at 4-5 in the third when he got a net cord which just dropped over and that was a bit of a turning point.

"Obviously I would have rather finished it on Thursday but I wanted to come out today and put a few serves in which I didn't do on Thursday.

"But the rest of my game was good. I think he was nervous and I didn't make too many mistakes.

"It's a good learning experience for me.

"I started the third set really well and thought I'd done enough at 4-2. But these guys never stop fighting and are good enough to capitalise on it.

"I came out today and was pretty fired-up and I couldn't have asked for much more."

Murray completed a satisfying day when he partnered Belgian Kirsten Flipkens to victory in their first-round mixed doubles match later on Friday.

The teenager had left Wimbledon in disconsolate mood on Thursday evening, having allowed Benneteau back into the match.

The British number two bounced back from a break down to take each of the first two sets, but then lost his way in the third after taking a 2-0 lead.

Benneteau seized on Murray's loss of focus and took the third set at the first opportunity after the teenager netted a forehand.

However, any fears that the 19-year-old might be forced into a fifth set shoot-out were quickly allayed when the players returned on Friday.

At 1-1, Murray fired a stunning backhand down the line to earn three break points and converted the second.

Benneteau's spirit, which appeared unbreakable on Thursday, deserted him and a host of errors allowed Murray to cruise through the set in less than half an hour.

After shaky patch during the claycourt season, Murray believes he is now getting back to his best.

"This is the best I've played for the last couple of months," he said.

"I feel like I can go for my shots a lot more and they'll drop in rather than going two feet out.

"Playing Andy Roddick, is a huge match for me. He's a former finalist, a former world number one, a Grand Slam champion, so it's an honour to be on the same court as him.

"Hopefully I'll play one of my best matches so it'll be a good match for the crowd."

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41833000/jpg/_41833814_murraynew270.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41832000/jpg/_41832876_murray_getty.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41832000/jpg/_41832944_fans_getty.jpg

musefanatic
07-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Great play in the last set Andy!! :) Good luck against Roddick tomorrow :) :)

RFitzpatrick
07-01-2006, 08:52 PM
CMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN ANDY!!!!!!!!!!

decrepitude
07-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Magnificent game against Roddick!

Baghdatis has had to have medical timeouts in the last two rounds (still won though!). Make him run around, Andy! :devil:

musefanatic
07-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Great win against Roddick!!! :)

Good luck to him against Baghdatis, battle of the young guns! :)

Sweet4Richard
07-02-2006, 02:52 AM
:eek: I'm so shocked that Andy won. Woah! He played the better all around the match. The first set was so exciting because he was saving tons of breakpoints. Andy Roddick was by far the better player, but Andrew Murray came up better on the bigger points. He played an amazing match. He really deserved to win (and I'm a Roddick fan). I hope he can continue this nice run against Baghadatis.

Congrats Andy :banana:

Sweet4Richard
07-02-2006, 02:52 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41836000/jpg/_41836096_murray_getty300.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41836000/jpg/_41836398_win_getty416.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41836000/jpg/_41836710_muzza203.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41836000/jpg/_41836288_murrayfeature.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41836000/jpg/_41836408_amurray_getty_203.jpg

Sweet4Richard
07-02-2006, 02:54 AM
Brilliant Murray shocks Roddick
By Piers Newbery
BBC Sport at Wimbledon

Andy Murray thrilled the Centre Court crowd as he dismantled third seed Andy Roddick's game on his way to a straight-sets win at Wimbledon.

The 19-year-old Briton won 7-6 (7-4) 6-4 6-4 to surpass his debut effort last year and reach the fourth round.

Murray edged the first set and then took control, breaking in game 10 of the second and twice more on his way to sealing victory in the third.

Murray will now play 18th seed Marcos Baghdatis in the last 16.

"I think that's got to be my best win," Murray told BBC Sport afterwards, "beating a two-time Wimbledon finalist, former world number one and Grand Slam champion on Centre Court in three sets.

"I feel bad for Andy, he's such a great guy and a really good champion, and it's a shame I had to win against him."

Murray insisted before the match that he was a heavy underdog, and the statistics backed him up.

But although Roddick has finished runner-up in the last two years and was seeded three, his form has been patchy at best and Murray won their only previous meeting in February.

The American began the match well, dominating with his huge serve but failing to convert a succession of break points.

Four went begging before Murray saved a set point with a service winner, and moments later Roddick missed a second when he volleyed wide with the open court gaping.

Roddick missed two more chances to clinch the set in game 11 and was made to regret it when Murray took an early lead in the tie-break and held on.

His confidence now soaring, Murray began to display the all-court game that has excited so many people in the last 12 months.

The sheer variety of shot-making left Roddick bewildered, as did Murray's ability to return his serve, and the American could only hang on in the second set with some crucial aces.

By game 10, the pressure became too much. Murray missed two makeable backhands on set points but finally hit one down the line on the third opportunity.

Roddick looked set to launch a comeback when he finally converted his first break point in 12 attempts in game five of the third set, but Murray stunned him by hitting back immediately.

And Roddick's resistance finally cracked in the 10th game. He saved a first match point with a blistering winner before putting a forehand long on the second.

Throughout the match, much of the crowd had been keeping tabs on England's World Cup quarter-final against Portugal.

And, having got into trouble with some earlier comments on the England football team, Murray was more diplomatic about their defeat.

"I knew it was 0-0 when I went on and Rooney had been sent off," he said. "I'm surprised they lost on penalties but it's disappointing.

"It would have been great for England to win the World Cup, it would have been great for British sport, but now I'm going to have to try and win here."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5137408.stm

Sweet4Richard
07-02-2006, 02:54 AM
Murray delighted with Roddick win
By Piers Newbery
BBC Sport at Wimbledon

Andy Murray was thrilled to reach the second week of a Grand Slam for the first time with his victory over Andy Roddick at Wimbledon.

Murray won 7-6 (7-4) 6-4 6-4 to reach the fourth round.

"To get into the second week of a Grand Slam for the first time is great," said the 19-year-old Scot.

"I'm not used to being around the locker room when there's only 16 people left - it's much quieter. I'm obviously looking forward to playing again."

Murray was in superb form as he swept past twice runner-up Roddick in straight sets, and showed no sign of his sometimes volatile temper.

"It's easy when you're playing like that to keep your cool," he said.

"I get really annoyed when I'm playing badly because I'm a perfectionist.

"When I'm playing badly is when I get upset, but if I'd lost the third set playing like that it wouldn't have dented my confidence because I was playing so well."

And Murray is confident he can go one step further when he faces Marcos Baghdatis in the last 16 on Monday.

"If I play like that I think I've got a good chance of winning my next match," he said.

"I think (Lleyton) Hewitt's the highest seeded guy in my section and he's obviously won Wimbledon and two Grand Slams, so I wouldn't really expect to get past the quarter-finals if I had to play him."

Roddick admitted there is "an edge" missing to his game at the moment and said: "I'm very disappointed, I'm not happy, I'm mad - whatever adjective you want to throw out there."

And Roddick, who also lost to Murray in San Jose in February, paid tribute to the Briton.

"He's great at hitting on the move, picking a ball up an inch off the ground he can still find something to do with it without going for broke.

"I'm not sure who to compare him to but he's a very deceiving mover and he hits very well on the run."

Looking ahead to Murray's clash with Baghdatis, Roddick said: "I think he has a shot in his next match."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5137514.stm

Sweet4Richard
07-02-2006, 02:56 AM
Pat Cash on Wimbledon http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41824000/gif/_41824524_pat_cash_55x55.gif

It was a fantastic display from Andy Murray to beat Andy Roddick.

It was like Murray was the two-time finalist out there and not Roddick.

Andy Murray has reached the fourth round for the first time

But let's not get carried away. Murray's 19 and he's got a tough fourth-round match coming up next against Australian Open finalist Marcos Baghdatis, who is a more complete player.

Believe it or not, I think that will be a tougher match than playing Roddick, a guy who's made the final of Wimbledon twice.

My advice to Murray would be not to do anything different - he's cruising along, he's doing great.

It's all new territory to him and he's got nothing to lose.

I don't see too many guys out there who are better than Andy Murray in the game that's played as it is at Wimbledon these days, which is primarily from the back. He's as good as almost anybody.

He's a good athlete. I think somebody was criticising him about his speed but he's very quick.

He's got a great forehand and a great backhand, a very solid serve and he can volley.

What's most important is that he's come out of juniors being a tough player.

He's competitive and he knows his way around the court. He knows how to beat these guys and he's a good thinker on the court.

You can't really teach that - it's all instinctual.

Pat Cash was speaking to John Inverdale on BBC Two's Today at Wimbledon programme.

Luna
07-02-2006, 04:56 AM
Nice win. :woohoo: :yeah:
I am totally believe in you that you can beat Roddick,thank you for you getting a win after England lost. :D

Grenouille
07-02-2006, 09:13 AM
So happy for Andy :D

Sweet4Richard
07-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Andy's match against Marcos Baghdatis is 2nd on Centre Court tomorrow after Justine's match.

His 2nd round mixed doubles match is 4th on Court 2.

Go Andy!! :woohoo:

Danika
07-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Great job Andy!I am so proud of him!I really hope he can beat Marcos Baghdatis!

RFitzpatrick
07-03-2006, 08:21 PM
:sad: but well done:)

Sweet4Richard
07-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Andy lost today 6-3, 6-4, 7-6(2) :sad:

I saw a part of the match today and he seemed totally outmatched today. Today wasn't his day. He still made the Round of 16 in a Slam so that's a great achievement. :bigclap:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41841000/jpg/_41841646_murray416.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41842000/jpg/_41842148_murraystress416.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41842000/jpg/_41842120_murray203.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41842000/jpg/_41842620_murray_quotes203.jpg

Sweet4Richard
07-03-2006, 09:02 PM
This is pretty interesting:

Andy Murray learned an awful lot about himself when he lost to Marcos Baghdatis.

He had a great match against Andy Roddick on Saturday, played unbelievable tennis, and he expected to bring that today.

Baghdatis is a different player to Roddick, he was able to get a lot of balls back, mix it up a little bit - he wasn't so one-dimensional and it kind of threw Murray off a little bit, and Murray might have been a little bit over-confident, you never know.

You've got to figure out a way to win when you're not playing so well, when you're only 50%, 60%.

He had an opportunity to get into that third-set tie-breaker, win it and get stuck into the match.

Instead it looked like the last shot, he almost gave up on it. He plays a drop shot that lands near the service line, gives Baghdatis the opportunity to stroll in and hit a winner.

There's a lot of guys who would have been saying 'I'm going to die to get this point, I'm going to die to get the next one and the next one.'

In the end it felt like he was ready to say 'OK, I'll pull out of this and give myself another opportunity next year and hopefully I'll learn something.' That's unacceptable to me.

But I do feel sorry for the British players at Wimbledon.

There's enough pressure while you're out there playing in front of 20,000 people let alone carrying a nation itself, but that's what champions are made of.

That's what is now expected of Andy Murray and for him to be able to reach that level, he's going to have to do a gut-check, not only for his tennis but also for his attitude.

He needs to say 'I can take that, I can accept it, I want to embrace it.' Because what a luxury - to have all these people fighting, yelling and screaming for you.

He has to find a way to incorporate that into his game, and he will.

But everybody says 'he's only 19 years old.' He is, but he's been around for a couple of years now and it's time for him to move to the next level.

Murray has the ability and the opportunity to become a great player, it's up to him to go out and prove that he is.

That's the great thing about tennis - you're there on your own, it's one and one, let's go to battle and see who's the best.

Does he have the tools and the opportunity? Certainly, but the result is up to him.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5142692.stm

Sweet4Richard
07-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Frantisek Cermak (CZE)[16]/Anna-Lena Groenefeld (GER)[16] def. Andy Murray (GBR)/
Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) 6-4 6-2

Two losses for Andy today.

revolution
07-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Newport it is for Andy. He starts out against Ricardo Mello, a good draw.

Honestly there are no excuses for losing early whatsoever here. TOp seed, good draw he should go on to Sunday's final I imagine.

Grenouille
07-09-2006, 08:43 AM
I hope so.

Sweet4Richard
07-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Newport:

(1)MURRAY, Andy GBR vs MELLO, Ricardo BRA
UDOMCHOKE, Danai THA vs (WC)QUERREY, Sam USA
REYNOLDS, Bobby USA vs KUNITSYN, Igor RUS
(WC)KENDRICK, Robert USA vs (5)SPADEA, Vincent USA

(4)MULLER, Gilles LUX vs CAPDEVILLE, Paul CHI
Qualifier vs PLESS, Kristian DEN
Qualifier vs CARLSEN, Kenneth DEN
Qualifier vs (8)GIMELSTOB, Justin USA

(7)FISH, Mardy USA vs SAULNIER, Cyril FRA
BEHREND, Tomas GER vs ALVES, Thiago BRA
KUBOT, Lukasz POL vs DE VOEST, Rik RSA
(WC)PHILIPPOUSSIS, Mark AUS vs (3)GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA

(6)MELZER, Jurgen AUT vs SABAU, Razvan ROM
DANCEVIC, Frank CAN vs KIM, Kevin USA
BOGDANOVIC, Alex GBR vs Qualifier
BASTL, George SUI vs (2)KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO

Andy's the number one seed :eek: Not a terribly strong draw, but come on Andy!!

Sweet4Richard
07-09-2006, 08:42 PM
He's also playing doubles with Jaime:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/...006/315/MDD.pdf

[1] Wayne Arthurs/Steven Huss vs James Auckland/Lars Burgsmuller
Ashley Fisher/Nathan Healey vs [WC] Scott Oudsema/Phillip Simmonds

[4] Tripp Phillips/Bobby Reynolds vs Travis Parrott/Cyril Saulnier
Huntley Montgomery/Rajeev Ram vs [WC] Robert Kendrick/Jurgen Melzer

Igor Kunitsyn/Danai Udomchoke vs Andy Murray/Jamie Murray
Eric Butorac/Chris Drake vs[3] Jeff Coetzee/Justin Gimelstob

Kenneth Carlsen/Kristian Pless vs Ivo Karlovic/Mirko Pehar
Rik De Voest/Lukasz Kubot vs [2] Jordan Kerr/Jim Thomas

:)

Sweet4Richard
07-09-2006, 08:48 PM
OOP Monday

Court 1 (11:00 am start)
Lars Burgsmuller vs Wesley Whitehouse
Bobby Reynolds vs Igor Kunitsyn
Lukasz Kubot vs Rik de Voest
Igor Kunitsyn/Danai Udomchoke vs Andy Murray/Jamie Murray

Good Luck Andy and Jaime :bounce:

shyscots25
07-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Well yes this is as easy a field as it gets for Andy in an ATP event. First time he is seeded and it is #1, but i remember from last year he wasn't exactly comfortable with the grass courts in Newport compared to Wimbledon. Having said that his draw is easy peasy, but alas that doesn't guarantee anything. I would love to see him roll over everyone and lift the title, but i doubt it will be that straightforward. However, SF must be the minimum here surely, with the final achieveable with correct application. He is up to 36 in the rankings and some easy points here won't go amiss one bit, especially if he wants that US open seeding which is now within reach. His target should to be a top 30 player by the time he gets to flushing meadows.

Good luck here, and in the doubles. Incidentally, i think Andy in doubles is just a bit of fun really, for from what i have seen he isn't exactly a very talented doubles player at the moment

On the coach front, the sooner he can snag Gilbert the better, he is just what Andy needs..

Sweet4Richard
07-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Andy and Jaime lost their doubles match 6-3, 3-6, 7-10
Looked like a pretty tight match.

I'm worried that since the draw isn't exactly the toughest that could cause him to lose focus. He's expected to win this or at least do fairly well. He needs a good result here(as well as the rest of the summer tournaments) so he can be seeded at the Open.

Sweet4Richard
07-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Murray def Mello 6-1 1-6 7-6(5) :eek:

From what I've read, Andrew should have lost this match. Mello choked. I really didn't expect it to be this tough. :scared:

musefanatic
07-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Good win for Andy, can't believe how much mello choked though, how embarrassing :lol:

shyscots25
07-11-2006, 10:38 PM
I wasn't surprised to see Andy struggle, i did expect it to be honest. However i didn't think he would be so close to defeat though either. However, good players can find a way to win even when they play terribly and Andy managed that today so well done. His next match should be easier to be honest, and even Karlovic in the bottom half retired in his match. He would have been a likely finalist. The other two to watch out for are Mark and Mardy, with the big aussie a potentially tricky opponent. Rusedski did so well here in the past on account of how the courts are a little faster, with a lower bounce, giving the big servers more of an advantage than in London. This is much the same reason why Andy didn't like it so much last year. In fact i was kinda surprised to see him come, but a clay event wouldn't have been helpful really, and he will be in the US for a while. The summer was a good one for Andy last year, he trained hard in the states and won a lot of matches, the benefits of which you could see when he had rare chances in ATP events later in summer. I am hoping for the same. I don't see a US Open seeding being a problem, i would like Andy to be heading towards the top 20 before he arrives there. That is achieveable with good results, for good runs will more than cancel out his challenger wins in aptos and binghampton.

Good luck for the next match, i have a feeling he may find it a little easier. QF will be trickier as Kunitsyn and Kendrick are both quite capable players.

Grenouille
07-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Go ANDY

Sweet4Richard
07-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Murray labours to Newport victory

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41867000/jpg/_41867468_murray203.jpg

British number one Andy Murray fought back from the verge of defeat to beat Brazil's Ricardo Mello at the Hall of Fame Championships in Newport.

The 19-year-old Scot, who is top seed, saved five match points before winning 6-1 1-6 7-6 (7-5).

He will now play Sam Querrey in round two after the American defeated Thailand's Danai Udomchoke 6-4 6-3.

Fellow Brit Alex Bogdanovic will play George Bastl in round two after beating US qualifier Jesse Levine 6-4 7-5.

Murray looked to be cruising to an easy passage to round two after winning the first set 6-1.

But the 25-year-old Mello, ranked 139th in the world, won the second set 6-1 and then moved 5-2 up in the decider.

Mello's five match points came in the 12th game of the final set, but Murray broke to level at 6-6.

Even then, it was not straightforward as Mello recovered from 3-0 down to lead 5-3 before Murray reeled off four straight points to win the match.

"I should've played more carefully in the beginning of the second set, but I won the first set so easily, in like 20 minutes," said Murray.

"He came up with some drop volleys that I really wasn't expecting from a Brazilian."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5163920.stm

Sweet4Richard
07-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Murray labours to Newport victory

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41867000/jpg/_41867468_murray203.jpg

British number one Andy Murray fought back from the verge of defeat to beat Brazil's Ricardo Mello at the Hall of Fame Championships in Newport.

The 19-year-old Scot, who is top seed, saved five match points before winning 6-1 1-6 7-6 (7-5).

He will now play Sam Querrey in round two after the American defeated Thailand's Danai Udomchoke 6-4 6-3.

Fellow Brit Alex Bogdanovic will play George Bastl in round two after beating US qualifier Jesse Levine 6-4 7-5.

Murray looked to be cruising to an easy passage to round two after winning the first set 6-1.

But the 25-year-old Mello, ranked 139th in the world, won the second set 6-1 and then moved 5-2 up in the decider.

Mello's five match points came in the 12th game of the final set, but Murray broke to level at 6-6.

Even then, it was not straightforward as Mello recovered from 3-0 down to lead 5-3 before Murray reeled off four straight points to win the match.

"I should've played more carefully in the beginning of the second set, but I won the first set so easily, in like 20 minutes," said Murray.

"He came up with some drop volleys that I really wasn't expecting from a Brazilian."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5163920.stm

Sweet4Richard
07-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Top seed Andy Murray fought off five match points to defeat Ricardo Mello 6-1, 1-6, 7-6(5) to claw into the second round of the Campbell's Hall of Fame Tennis Championships in Newport, Rhode Island, Tuesday. The 19-year-old Scot, who recently defeated Andy Roddick en route to the fourth round of Wimbledon, broke Mello three times in the final set when the Brazilian attempted to serve out the match at 5-2, 5-4 and 6-5.

Murray, who saved all five match points in the 12th game of the third set, improved to 6-2 on the grass court season and 19-16 on the year. He next meets American wild card Sam Querrey, who took out Thai Danai Udomchoke 6-4, 6-3.

Murray: "I should've played more carefully in the beginning of the second set, but I won the first set so easily, in like 20 minutes but then lost the second set in 25 minutes... I had a bad game to get broken, then he started to play better. I started to play better but he came up with some drop volleys that I really wasn't expecting from a Brazilian."

Play has been postponed due to the weather today in Newport.

Spud
07-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Hopefully andy will put out a better performance tomorrow because quite frankly he was dreadful against Mello. Let's not forget Mello himself is terrible on grass and lost to the 'mighty' David Sherwood at Wimbledon last year so Andy really should have beaten him comfortably.
Querrey will be a test, but if Andy can play anywhere like his best he SHOULD win, trouble is we never know which Andy will turn up....

Sweet4Richard
07-13-2006, 09:26 PM
The rain :smash:

Andy was up 5-3 before play was suspended. :)

shyscots25
07-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Yes Andy has been a somewhat volatile player this year to say the least, but why should we expect anything different? He is still young and inexperienced in ATP terms and his game whilst talented in many areas has a few parts needing some fine tuning. He will come out and beat Querrey easily, and then probably beat Kendrick in two tight sets.

Apparently the top seed has never won this tournament? So what, Andy can certainly be the first.

As the yanks say "Let's go Andy!"

Regenbogen
07-14-2006, 07:56 PM
great win over Kendrick today :eek:

Grenouille
07-14-2006, 10:50 PM
well done andy :D

shyscots25
07-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Yes it was super stuff yesterday. Now what he must not do is let his standard drop against Justin, who he really should beat just as easily.

He should make the final against the Scud!

Sweet4Richard
07-15-2006, 04:52 PM
:eek: What a win over Kendrick. Talk about demolishing

Good Luck today against Justin! I might be able to see the match today or at least parts of it :)

Sweet4Richard
07-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Murray: " don't think I've won a 6-0, 6-0 match on the ATP tour yet. I did everything well today, it was great. My slice worked really well."

On hiring a new coach: "It should be sorted out in the next few weeks. Getting close now."

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsandscores/news/2006/newport_friday.asp

http://www.atptennis.com/5/photos/shared/180x250/murray_newport5.jpg-- Looks like he got a haircut :)

shyscots25
07-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Oopsie! That loss to Gimelcrap was a really really bad one. He isn't a good player and Andy should have found a way to deal with him! But it was a SF at least and with a new coach imminent it is not a big problem!

Doesn't seem to be playing this week on the ATP i assume because of DC, for ordinarily he would have been at Indy!

Still will rise a few places tomorrow, but missed a chance to nearly make the top 30 for he is not far off those in that area.

Sweet4Richard
07-16-2006, 09:13 PM
I saw the match for the most part and after Andy fell in the beginning of the match he seemed out of it. I think he may have hurt himself or something. It didn't seem to be that serious, but he wasn't playing well at all. His serve was off and he made a lot of mistakes. Justin though was playing really well----my commentators called it "possibly the best match of his life"

Still, a semifinal isn't a bad result and there is news on GM that Brad Gilbert is Andy's official coach now so hopefully his ranking will improve :)

shyscots25
07-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Gilbert COULD be the key to everything. He will certainly get Andy serving better which will be huge. Add a bigger serve that works consistently and Andy will be storming into the top 10 very soon, and will be a major contender. Attitude too is an issue, as he does seem very passive sometimes, almost disinterested. That lack of predictability is a problem, we just never know which Andy will turn up for a match. The last two tournies have shown that. He beats Roddick and then Kendrick brilliantly, and then loses meekly to Bhagdatis and Gimelstob.

At times i think he needs to show a bit more heart, which we know he has.