Petr Korda: Sissor kicks and cart wheels [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Petr Korda: Sissor kicks and cart wheels

Santorofan
01-13-2004, 05:49 AM
Any Petr Korda fans here? He's played some close seniors battles this year with McEnroe - the highlights on the ATP show have been great! Anyone recall his Aussie Open final vs Rios??

TennisLurker
01-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Korda had the best return of serve with a one handed backhand Ive ever seen.

Santorofan
01-21-2004, 06:51 AM
Yup, his one-hander was glorious to watch...right up their with Guga, Federer, etc. And what a showman - he makes makes most of the current crop of lackluster stars seem downright dull. It's a pity his career ended on such a dour note (suspicions of doping), but it's good to see he's at least going to keep on keeping on in his battles against McEnroe, Wilander, etc.

Any good photos of him to post??

Leena
01-27-2004, 12:53 PM
OMG! I loved Petr! It still amazes me how someone as skinny as Bovina and Hantuchova could hit the ball as well as he could.

I still have his QF, SF and final matches from 98 Aussie on tape. :)

It's true, men's tennis needs someone with his character again.

Raoul Duke
01-30-2004, 09:34 AM
That run he had from the end of 97 playing a very good grass court season, then playing great at the U.S Open beating Sampras in one incredible match. Then even better in the following tournaments (losing this time another incredible match against Sampras) and then of course culminating when winning the Australian Open 98. I don't think I've ever seen in a period of time anyone hit as quite many winners as he did during that period. Match after match he would display the most amazing shotmaking skills. Most spectacular was af course the before mentioned beautiful beautiful onehanded backhand.

Santorofan
02-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Some more interesting facts about Korda:

*In 1990 he and Ivanisevic reached the doubles final of Roland Garros.

*In 1992 he reached the Roland Garros singles final, losing to Courier

*In 1997 he competed in two titanic grand slam battles against Pete Sampras. At Wimbledon, he lost to Sampras in the 4th round 6-4 6-3 6-7(8-10) 6-7 (1-7) 6-4, but at the US Open he avenged that defeat with a 6-7 (4-7) 7-5 7-6 (7-2) 3-6 7-6 (7-3) victory over the defending champion and #1 seed.

*In 1998, not only did Korda def Rios in straight sets for the Aussie Open title, but was actually one match away from attaining the world #1 ranking when he lost to Tim Henman in the quarters at Wimbledon.

Great career! :rocker:

fed_rad
02-15-2004, 09:05 AM
I used to enjoying watching Korda play, he was a very talented player with one of the best one handed backhands.
Beating sampras at the US open was a great match, but it was unfortunate that he lost to bjorkman in the next round.
So is korda still playing in seniors?

Santorofan
02-16-2004, 01:42 AM
Yup, he's still playing the seniors tour..I think there's a link to it on the ATP website...perhaps someone might post it????

fed_rad
02-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Hopefully Korda plays in a few senior tournaments this year...the seniors link that i found on the atp site was http://www.atptennis.com/championstour/

A few more achievements from Korda:
Korda and Edberg won the Aust Open doubles in 1996.

He won the Grand Slam Cup in Munich, he beat Sampras in the SF and Stich (F) 1993

Santorofan
02-18-2004, 05:23 AM
Wow, thanks for adding the link and additional stats - what an awesome career. Definitely one of the more overlooked champions of recent years...

According to the ATP seniors link, Korda lost twice in the finals to McEnroe in late 2003, including 10-8 in the third set tiebreak in Monte Carlo (they utilize a "champions tiebreaker" in seniors events in leiu of an actual third set)...not too shabby for just starting out on the tour.

fed_rad
02-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Korda did have a great career, not many people realise what a talented player he was...Your right he is often overlooked as a champion.

The first year he played in a Seniors tour, Honda Challenge Masters in 2001, he lost to Forget in the Finals 7-5 7-6. Well, that was a good result for Korda - on route to the final he did beat Pat Cash and McEnroe.

I see that 2003 was also a good year for Korda.

RonE
07-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Anyone recall his Aussie Open final vs Rios??

Yes, i do- it was one of the most disappointing grand slam finals in the open era, as Rios just totally crumbled. I saw them play a month later in Indian Wells and they played a fantastic and exhilirating match and I remember thinking "Why couldn't they have played like this at the AO?!".

alfajeffster
07-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Yes, i do- it was one of the most disappointing grand slam finals in the open era, as Rios just totally crumbled. I saw them play a month later in Indian Wells and they played a fantastic and exhilirating match and I remember thinking "Why couldn't they have played like this at the AO?!".

Do you remember too the mocking, hysterical cartwheel that Rios did after beating Korda at Indian Wells in that match? :D

I always wished Marcelo Rios would have gotten his act together, because he had so much talent, and now his legs have given out on him and it's too late, but then, he was on the verge of breaking through. I don't remember him ever playing Sampras either, although I think they did play once indoors- anyone know the result?

Pink Panther
10-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Didn't know what Petr has been up to until I saw his picture on the Vienna website! He seems to have aged quite a bit (receding hairline and wrinkles :sad: ) but from my limited knowledge of German, I think he has defeated Michael Stich 6/3, 6/1 in the seniors tournament! :worship:

NYCtennisfan
10-29-2005, 07:41 AM
I was on hand for his match against the great Pete Sampras at the USO where he hit winners from everywhere. Retuirn winners, volley winners, FH, BH, serve, smahs...it was breathtaking.

I also remember a memorable match against Chesnokov in Canada where Chesnokov got frustrated by all the brilliant winners being hit off of Korda's racquet. Korda had a way of quickly sprinting to his chair for changeovers especially after a break. Chesnokov imitated a bird as Korda ran to his chair and then they exchanged some words before playing again.