Robby "the clay-master" goes for another win in Hamburg cheering thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Robby "the clay-master" goes for another win in Hamburg cheering thread

bavaria100
05-13-2006, 02:05 PM
So, a new week and a new tournament. Let's see if Robby can follow up his second round result in Rome with another win on the european clay courts. His draw doesn't look good, but he might be able to surprise us.He's in Nadal's half of the draw. This is Robby's quarter:

(7)GONZALEZ, Fernando CHI vs TURSUNOV, Dmitry RUS
HRBATY, Dominik SVK vs (WC)MAYER, Florian
CHELA, Juan Ignacio ARG vs VERDASCO, Fernando ESP
Qualifier vs (10)CORIA, Guillermo ARG

(14)GINEPRI, Robby USA vs GROSJEAN, Sebastien FRA
VOLANDRI, Filippo ITA vs PASHANSKI, Boris SCG
ACASUSO, Jose ARG vs (WC)GREUL, Simon GER
Qualifier vs (3)LJUBICIC, Ivan CRO

Deboogle!.
05-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Ouch that is a very tough draw. good luck robby..... the conditions at hamburg are like the worst imaginable for him.

idolwatcher1
05-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Robby will really need to find his rythym here if he wants to get another win. Seb has, of course, had much better clay court results than Robby :lol: ...(took a set off Nadal in Ro16 at RG last year)... and, um, there's always the potential for a double bagel :scared: I just hope Robby avoids that!

I don't think Seb is going to be the kind who will make UE if Robby gets into another 16+shot rally... When he was in the 29-shot rally against Monfils, Robby totally set up Gael for the winner, and Robby needs to be aware that when the other guy is playing smoothly and not making a lot of errors, after awhile, you're chances are probably best if you attempt to set yourself up for the possible winner, and not just hope the other guy will make a mistake. Robby will need to take some calculated risks during the match, at least every once in awhile, if he hopes to win it. Mixing up his strategy for each point may be a way of throwing Seb off a little.

Good luck to Robby!!

idolwatcher1
05-13-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm assuming Robby will just stay in Germany this whole next week regardless of the results next week.

Deboogle!.
05-13-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm assuming Robby will just stay in Germany this whole next week regardless of the results next week.Where else would he go? lol

Fergie
05-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Tough draw for Robby!!! :sad:

idolwatcher1
05-13-2006, 05:19 PM
in other words, at least he won't have to worry about traveling far if he has a first round loss ;)

Deboogle!.
05-13-2006, 05:52 PM
oh, gotcha. I thought you were suggesting he'd come back to the states for a few days and i was gonna suggest that that would be very stupid :lol:

idolwatcher1
05-14-2006, 02:47 AM
the doubles draw hasn't come out yet... if Robby plays doubles, I wonder who it will be with? :confused: no Gineproddick for Hamburg... :sad:

Deboogle!.
05-14-2006, 02:59 AM
James perhaps? The sign-in was today, that's odd that the draw isn't out yet.

Wait, the draw is out! Robby's playing with Bhupathi :eek:

http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2006/414/MDD.pdf

bavaria100
05-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Monday's Order of Play has been released and Robby is going to play his doubles match tomorrow. It will be the last match of the day on court M4. Good luck to him and Mahesh Bhupati!

M4
starting at 11 a.m. CET

López - Ferrer

Srichaphan - C. Rochus

Chela - Verdasco

Bhupati/Ginepri - Kohlmann/Schüttler

idolwatcher1
05-15-2006, 12:14 AM
Bhupathi won mixed doubles titles at the AO this year and the USO last year... so it'll be interesting to see how this match turns out... Bhupathi was asking some players if they wanted to play doubles with him... he asked Robredo but he was already with Ferrer, but he wound up with Robby who didn't have anyone else... hopefully it's a match made in heaven :inlove:

:lol:

Fergie
05-15-2006, 05:31 AM
Good luck in doubles Robby!!! :bounce:

Deboogle!.
05-15-2006, 06:18 PM
well they lost in straight sets - but singles tomorrow :)

singles is 4th match after an 11am start on court M2, one of the outer courts without the bubble roof

GermanBoy
05-16-2006, 01:30 AM
Robby and Bhupathi is quite a surprise. I get the impression that Bhupathi still hasn't found the right partner since Woodbridge retired and left him. However, I am convinced Robby can benefit from playing doubles and if his partner is one of the best doubles players in the world it is even better.

Although Robby has been playing better recently I think he still has to improve his game to be as successful as before...

Come on, Robby! :devil:

GermanBoy
05-16-2006, 01:34 AM
M. Kohlmann (GER)/R. Schuettler (GER) - M. Bhupathi (IND)/R. Ginepri (USA) 6:4 7:6 (2)

Brilliant! :rolleyes:

idolwatcher1
05-16-2006, 02:14 AM
The result was better than I thought :p but anyways, it's good that he got to play this match BEFORE his singles match tomorrow ;) His singles match will be about the same time he played today, which I guess is good for him. I cannot picture Seb not taking Robby out tomorrow, so I'm expecting Robby's loss already :lol: but I hope it's not a terrible loss :scared:

idolwatcher1
05-16-2006, 02:16 AM
M. Kohlmann (GER)/R. Schuettler (GER) - M. Bhupathi (IND)/R. Ginepri (USA) 6:4 7:6 (2)

hey, I thought maybe you'd be rooting for the Germans! :p I'm pretty sure they had the crowd behind them ;)

Lee
05-16-2006, 02:19 AM
Robby and Bhupathi is quite a surprise. I get the impression that Bhupathi still hasn't found the right partner since Woodbridge retired and left him. However, I am convinced Robby can benefit from playing doubles and if his partner is one of the best doubles players in the world it is even better.

Although Robby has been playing better recently I think he still has to improve his game to be as successful as before...

Come on, Robby! :devil:

From Robredo's blog, we know Robby is not Bhupathi's first choice :o

Lee
05-16-2006, 02:20 AM

Kohlmann and Schuettler are pretty good doubles players and definitely better than Robby on clay :tape:

Lee
05-16-2006, 02:21 AM
Tomorrow's match will be tough vs Grosjean but Blake df Moya so we may wish for a miracle here.

Deboogle!.
05-16-2006, 02:41 AM
Tomorrow's match will be tough vs Grosjean but Blake df Moya so we may wish for a miracle here.I was just gonna say.... if that happened anything's possible :lol:

idolwatcher1
05-16-2006, 03:08 AM
Lee, Blake did exactly what I would have (and some of what I already have) suggested Robby do in his match against Seb. Blake mixed up his shots... did some drop shots, used the backhand really well, forehand/crosscourt, wasn't afraid to make the overhead shots and lobs... He took some risks, and didn't allow the longer rallies to become too bland for too long... And his movement looked like he worked on it a bit :) So if Robby can do the same things Blake did in his match today, then maybe we can see a win from him in Hamburg

Deboogle!.
05-16-2006, 03:11 AM
Well and Moya is a far better claycourter than Seb... of course Moya is farrrrrrrrrr from his best form anymore, but Seb has had a rather off-year too, by his standards, so it's obviously a winnable match for Robby. IMO Robby's biggest problem on the clay besides the mental aspect of course is his movement. He can't run on it like a HC I don't think.

idolwatcher1
05-16-2006, 03:22 AM
absolutely not... so Robby must work on his movement on the clay! It really is essential to playing better and getting more "umph" behind each of your shots on the clay! Robby can't get set on doing any one particular thing in order to win this match... he is going to have to be ready to do it all! Look for the angles to hit the winners, and use the right shot for them, and he has to play the best way he can with how he can best move on this surface at this particular time. If he can't bring with him this combination, then I don't expect him to win, but I hope for the best each time :)

Deboogle!.
05-16-2006, 06:24 PM
well Robby lost a tough match to Seb 5-7 5-7, he'd been down 0-4 in the first and managed to level at 5all but then dropped serve for the set. and in the 2nd he was up an early break but seb broke back and broke for the match.

Ah, they are showing the match from 1all in the 2nd now, so we will see what happened.

Lee
05-16-2006, 07:15 PM
The numbers are close so at least it's not a one-sided match and Grosjean is a very good all court player.

Deboogle!.
05-16-2006, 07:20 PM
watching the 2nd set, two things are apparent.

1) Robby's attitude is awful and he looks like he doesn't want to be there. he's got to view the clay season as a challenge and something stimulating, he will never do well if he never decides he wants to be there.

2) his movement! he's just got to learn how to slide. Agassi is the only player I can think of who could get away with not sliding, but he is Andre and he takes tiny little steps that can be effective on anything. Robby got late starts running dropshots down and was trying to stop and start like hardcourt. I don't quite understand what he did in between Houston and Rome but practicing his movement was obviously not one of them.

bavaria100
05-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Robby :sad: Well, I must say that I'm surprised about the result. I expected Grosjean to blow Robby off the court, e.g. a 6-2, 6-1 result. It's good to see that he was able to keep the match close and competitive.

Deboogle!.
05-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Robby fought well, he was definitely trying, and that's why the score was close. But at the same time, he looked like he'd rather be anywhere esle than there.

idolwatcher1
05-17-2006, 01:29 AM
I disagree... I think he wants to win SOOOOOOOOO bad that he gets pissed at himself (and the results) when the momentum isn't going his way and he's running out of opportunities to change things around, especially when many of his mistakes occurred at game points or other crucial moments in the game... and he just doesn't channel the negative energy very well... not at all, really... I have stated this many times before... when Robby gets down on himself during a match, it's usually over for him. Everything negative he feels, he needs to convert into positive optimism, but he isn't doing that :(

As far as his game is concerned, Robby seemed to play too nice at times... sometimes it looks as though he's just practicing with a partner, and he's hitting the ball and placing the ball right to where his opponent can easily reach it and do something dangerous with it. His movement needs a lot of work, and he needs to be more aggressive at the net.

Deboogle!.
05-17-2006, 01:54 AM
But if he walks onto court with a negative attitude, he can't turn it into optimism when he gets into a tough match. When they joined the match at 1all in the 2nd he already looked defeated, he's gotta change that attitude or the wins won't come IMO.

idolwatcher1
05-17-2006, 02:02 AM
lmao... do you write the rules or something, deb? :p Who says someone can't convert negative energy into positive optimism whenever they want, if they put their mind to it and become determined to stay positive during the tough times?

also, I have to ask you, what makes Robby look defeated... specifically what exactly is he doing to look this way?

Deboogle!.
05-17-2006, 02:10 AM
His body language just looked bad, even the commentators mentioned it. You can just tell, I can't describe it but as Justice Potter Stewart so eloquently defined obscenity, "I know it when I see it." :) I don't write the rules, i said it was my opinion. His movement appears to not have improved much at all since I saw him in Houston 2 years ago, so then you have to wonder what's going on. I've seen no evidence that Robby is taking a positive or optimistic attitude onto the court and as a result I personally feel it's pretty difficult to turn that around mid-match. If you walk out on court doubting yourself, it's a lot harder to play your best, especially in a close match when it gets tight. When Robby demonstrates that he can do it, or that he's walking out there really believing he can win, then I will change my opinion.

idolwatcher1
05-17-2006, 02:36 AM
So you can't actually point to anything specific that Robby's doing to appear "defeated"? :confused: I would think there's at least something you could mention, and why that represents a "look of defeat"... oh well...

deb, you said, "he can't turn it into optimism when he gets into a tough match." <--- this statement was written as a fact, not an opinion... you stated this as if you know what can or cannot be done... :shrug:

like I said before, Robby (regardless of what type of court he is on) often gets down on himself when the opportunities to change the momentum of the match are quickly becoming less and less. And he isn't the best at letting go of the negative thoughts and not letting them affect his body language and mood on the court. If I were Francisco, I would definitely tell Robby not to get caught up into what didn't go right, and instead, tell him to focus on what he can still do, and go out there with a positive, optimistic attitude everytime!
We both agree that it's not easy to play your best when you're doubting yourself, but I don't think Robby doubts himself! I think Robby dwells on what he didn't do right and how he should have done something different, and that now "it's too late" and "I'm letting this set slip away from me"... and so on and so forth... :awww:

idolwatcher1
05-17-2006, 02:39 AM
I think he believes he can do it! That's why he gets so mad, because he knows he can do it, and win, but he ISN'T doing it, and it frustrates him...

-ernie-
05-17-2006, 04:01 AM
Ahh tough match. THis is promising though i think the french open should be RELATIVELY successful ;)

tangerine_dream
05-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Am I blind? What happened to the Robby News and Articles thread in here? :confused:

Anyway, from this week's SI mailbag:

I was pretty excited late last year when Robby Ginepri really looked like a Grand Slam title hopeful, but since he has crashed out in either the first or second round. To my knowledge, he also hasn't entered a tournament in some time. Do you see him turning it around for the Wimbledon and U.S. Open this year? With James Blake and Roddick continuing their struggles, it'd be nice to see Ginepri regain his form.
-- Tory, Quincy, Ill.

Yeah, it would. But Ginepri is an exceptionally streaky player, capable of beating anyone one week and losing to anyone the next. After such a strong second half of 2005, he has regressed in '06. He suffered a brutal loss in Australia, and his results indicate that he's never really recovered. Don't expect him to gain much traction on clay, either: If I'm not mistaken, Ginepri has yet to win a set at Roland Garros. He plays well on asphalt (and grass), and it's easy to see him reprising the rhythms of last year and "catching a gear" during the U.S. Open Series. Still, it's unfortunate that he puts himself in this position.

Deboogle!.
05-18-2006, 03:11 AM
:eek: did anyone else hear this? During James's match, Robby was watching and they showed him and said that yesterday during the first set of his match against Seb when he was serving at 5-6, one of Seb's balls went through the net or something and the ump missed it and awarded Seb the point??? :eek: :o

idolwatcher1
05-18-2006, 05:45 AM
No!! I did not hear of that before! But I was thinking the umpire did something odd, because Robby did not shake the ump's hand after the match was over... maybe that is why...

Deboogle!.
05-18-2006, 05:55 AM
I guess!! I mean if that happened, that's as bad as the Venus Wimbledon blunder a couple years ago. And one has to wonder, I'm sure Robby argued about it but why wouldn't a line judge or Seb have come forward? I mean they didn't clearly explain what happened but the commentators attributed it to why Robby lost the 1st set. Geez that's poooooor

idolwatcher1
05-18-2006, 06:17 AM
yikes... Robby needs some things to go his way for once!! From July-November of last year, Robby didn't lose in the first round of any tournament! (retired match in Lyon not counting), but this year already he's lost 6 times in the first round! (7, if you include his first match at IW)... :sad: I'm glad to know that Robby was watching James' match today... that probably lightened his mood a bit :)

-ernie-
05-18-2006, 11:55 PM
:eek: did anyone else hear this? During James's match, Robby was watching and they showed him and said that yesterday during the first set of his match against Seb when he was serving at 5-6, one of Seb's balls went through the net or something and the ump missed it and awarded Seb the point??? :eek: :o
:speakles: HOW can someone MISS that :speakles: thats worse that the whole ted watts venus williams dilema :o

rege
05-20-2006, 04:50 AM
I think he believes he can do it! That's why he gets so mad, because he knows he can do it, and win, but he ISN'T doing it, and it frustrates him...
I didn't see the match (shakes fist and shouts "damn you, DirecTV!") but I heard Robby "angrily" threw his raquet across the court after he lost match point. So, it seems like he still expects to win, which may be the silver lining of that dark cloud that has been following him this season.

Hopefully he's just saving himself for Roland Garros... ;)

idolwatcher1
05-20-2006, 06:40 AM
rege, you can download the highlights video from one of the links below :) They show him throwing his racquet off to the side when his ball went long on match point... The umpire in this match apparently wasn't very fair to Robby and awarded Seb a point that he shouldn't have... add this to the frustrating season he's had already this year... He could probably win the "Close, but no cigar" award... (he's won no less than 8 games per match every match he's played this year, regarless of surface).... Many of his matches essentially came down to only a few crucial points... :(

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7341/atp063kh.gif

http://www.filecabin.com/up1/1147929110-rg-hamburg1b.gif

Grosjean vs. Ginepri highlights - Hamburg:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=58FFF622534CE344
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1YYZHEJB
http://rapidshare.de/files/20654060/ATP_Hamburg06_Highlights_GrosjeanvGinepri.wmv.html

Pepper LaRue
05-20-2006, 04:47 PM
After watching the last 2 highlights of Robby's matches, I think he's playing fairly well on the clay. It seems like he's losing critical points and that luck isn't on his side right now. Hopefully that will change soon.

05-11-2007, 10:30 PM
in other words, at least he won't have to worry about traveling far if he has a first round loss ;)
I think you can count on the 1st Round loss :banghead: :sad: