ARAG ATP World Team Championship - Dusseldorf, Germany 5/06 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ARAG ATP World Team Championship - Dusseldorf, Germany 5/06

05-02-2006, 05:49 PM
I must admit I have never heard of the ARAG ATP World Team Championship before I saw the thead for it here at the MTF. And it is interesting because some countries have more players listed than others :confused: Anyway
Andy, the Bryans, and Robby are supposed to play for the U.S. Good Luck ;)

Deboogle!.
05-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Every country has 4 players, they may be still confirming some of the players, I know someone mentioned that Argentina's 4th player has been confirmed but it's not on the site yet. If they don't have 4, then someone will have to play singles and doubles like DC.

idolwatcher1
05-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Looks like Robby plays "Dr. Ivo" Karlovic tomorrow! Hope you get some good match play out there, Robby... ;)

Deboogle!.
05-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Looks like Robby plays "Dr. Ivo" Karlovic tomorrow! Hope you get some good match play out there, Robby... ;)Well it will be good practice for his returning, but unfortunately really bad practice for his movement and ground game consistency :o Good luck to him anyway :lol:

idolwatcher1
05-21-2006, 09:56 PM
at least he starts with him, and plays someone else next... :)

Deboogle!.
05-22-2006, 03:38 PM
He beat Karlovic 6-4 7-6(1)! Not great for his claycourt game but maybe good for his confidence :)

tangerine_dream
05-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Wow, Robby slays the giant on clay. Well done, Robby! :bounce:

idolwatcher1
05-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Robby served at 72%, and converted all his break points! :) I'm happy for his win here, even though it doesn't mean all that much... I know that it was better for him to feel like he won something rather than losing something again :hug:

idolwatcher1
05-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Robby from today's match:

Lee
05-23-2006, 01:36 AM
:lol: Robby being the only US American won a game today.

Good luck next round vs Chileans.

idolwatcher1
05-23-2006, 02:27 AM
The Chileans practically float on clay compared to Robby :lol: I just hope he plays longer than 40 minutes, if it's him playing against one of them... ;)

Breakaway
05-23-2006, 04:51 AM
Great match from Robby today :yeah:

good luck against Chile :)

rrfnpump
05-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Robby :bounce:

Deboogle!.
05-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Robby plays Capdeville tomorrow, while Andy plays Massu :)

Lee
05-23-2006, 08:01 PM
:scratch: What happened to Gonzo?

Capdeville is a very good up and coming Chilean, especially on clay. So not very optimistic about Robby's chance. Unless his prev. win gave him a boast in confidence.

Deboogle!.
05-23-2006, 08:16 PM
doesn't Capdeville serve-volley a lot? His good results earlier this year were on the indoor courts. So Robby should feel like he has a good shot :) Capdeville is good but I didn't notice he has any big weapon really. I think Gonzo isn't playing b/c he's had some muscle/shoulder pain and wants to be careful for RG. Along that line I dunno if the Bryans will play doubles for the US b/c of Mike's shoulder.:(

cobalt60
05-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Actually Capdeville is a serve and volleyer but hasn't yet developed a big weapon. However I would have to assume he is better on clay. His coach is De La Pena :tape: so he definitely has lots of promise. In the past Massu and Gonzalez would play almost all the matches thus tiring themselves out for RG. So I assume this is a way to conserve energy for Gonzalez. Plus his shoulder has been acting up so the less he plays the more rested those muscles are.
EDIT: I wish I could start and finish my post in the same half hour. Sorry Deb I said much of the same stuff:o

Lee
05-23-2006, 08:26 PM
He lost to Vliegen in QF in Memphis earlier this year. But as a South American, he mainly plays on clay. He does have decent results on hard court but not as good as his clay court records. May be he's good on hard court, but I'm not sure. But the players he defeated on hard court in ATP tours are quite impressive. PHM in USO last year and Robredo and Karlovac in Memphis.

Deboogle!.
05-23-2006, 08:27 PM
EDIT: I wish I could start and finish my post in the same half hour. Sorry Deb I said much of the same stuff:o:haha::kiss: great (jewish....female... new englander) minds.... :p

cobalt60
05-23-2006, 08:36 PM
:haha::kiss: great (jewish....female... new englander) minds.... :p
:lol: Good thing that there is only one of us born every 25 years;)

Deboogle!.
05-23-2006, 08:37 PM
:lol: Good thing that there is only one of us born every 25 years;)OMG LOL! :haha:

cobalt60
05-23-2006, 09:21 PM
OMG LOL! :haha:
Well I always joke with the hubs that he should be thankful there is only one of me:kiss: However at work I talk about cloning myself so that I could be in more than one place at a time. :p But the world could not handle more than one of me anyway:o

idolwatcher1
05-24-2006, 12:33 AM
Is Karlovic considered a serve and volleyer? Or just a big server? Maybe it wouldn't be too much of a stretch from one match to the next for Robby? I am hopeful that Robby can win tomorrow, but it's really hard for me to expect yet another win from him on clay!... he will then have won more clay matches this year than on any other surface! :eek: :lol: sounds like apocalypse material to me!... I expect Capdeville to be tough tomorrow...

Deboogle!.
05-24-2006, 01:50 AM
Well, Capdeville can hit groundstrokes, very well in fact, but neither wing is really a huge weapon. Karlovic is more of a serve-volleyer than Capdeville, he comes in almost every point. I think it was Agassi who said "If I were his coach I'd charge him $10 every time he hit a groundstroke." It's a completely different match IMO, well, every match is completely different from a match with Karlovic, that's why everyone says beating or losing to him is really no gauge of form at all.

idolwatcher1
05-24-2006, 04:22 AM
well, I really hope Robby is ready for Capdeville... James played him recently (on a different surface)... hopefully he got some tips... I want him to get some match play out there, and not just get run over... ;)

Deboogle!.
05-24-2006, 04:36 AM
Well James played horrifically that match but Andy beat Capdeville on clay in Houston pretty convincingly, so I'm sure they all know what to do :)

As far as I am concerned this is a match Robby should win :shrug: Capdeville isn't some great dirtballer, and he has no big weapon... I'm not worried about Robby getting run over, I'm sure he won't do that, Capdeville is not that good yet IMO. Robby should win and not accept anything less :)

zine56
05-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Well James played horrifically that match but Andy beat Capdeville on clay in Houston pretty convincingly, so I'm sure they all know what to do :)

As far as I am concerned this is a match Robby should win :shrug: Capdeville isn't some great dirtballer, and he has no big weapon... I'm not worried about Robby getting run over, I'm sure he won't do that, Capdeville is not that good yet IMO. Robby should win and not accept anything less :)

......Capdeville d Ginepri... 6/4 6/4... *cough* :o ......................*uncomfortable silence*..............

cobalt60
05-24-2006, 04:04 PM
......Capdeville d Ginepri... 6/4 6/4... *cough* :o ......................*uncomfortable silence*..............
Ricardo baby! Nice to see you around here;)

zine56
05-24-2006, 04:27 PM
hi Cobalt :D!!! how r u?

cobalt60
05-24-2006, 04:30 PM
hi Cobalt :D!!! how r u?
I am great!!! :hug: It is good to "see" you :lol: This isn't the forum but I think Chile has a good shot to win Dusseldorf. Ok Ginepri fans I will stop now :o

bavaria100
05-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Robby :sad: I'm not surprised he lost, in fact I expected it. He didn't have a good day today. He made many unforced errors (I think 18 in the first set). The thing is, there were many long rallies in which he played well. But nearly every long rally was followed by 1 or 2 easy misses. I could clearly see that he lacks confidence. When he made a mistake, he immediately dropped his head. It's sad to see him like that.

idolwatcher1
05-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Robby :sad: I'm not surprised he lost, in fact I expected it. He didn't have a good day today. He made many unforced errors (I think 18 in the first set). The thing is, there were many long rallies in which he played well. But nearly every long rally was followed by 1 or 2 easy misses. I could clearly see that he lacks confidence. When he made a mistake, he immediately dropped his head. It's sad to see him like that.
I actually expected a result like this too... Capdeville may not have any clear weapons, but he's much more comfortable on clay than Robby... He has played many more clay court matches... He made the finals of two clay challengers last year (winning one of them) and made the finals of one just this year... His movement, rise in the rankings, and the Chilean fans at the match probably gave him that extra bit of confidence he needed...

Did you watch the whole match?? Did Robby look mad, or just dejected?

idolwatcher1
05-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Robby in today's match:

bavaria100
05-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Did you watch the whole match?? Did Robby look mad, or just dejected?

Yes, I watched the whole match. He mostly looked dejected, but at one point he threw his racket down in anger. I don't remember when it was. It might have been in the second set when he got broken at 4-4.

idolwatcher1
05-25-2006, 06:08 AM
It seems like he always gets broken around 4-4 :unsure: ...must be frustrating!

I guess Robby will play against one of the Spaniards on Friday?? Probably Lopez? And in that case, it's LaLo's match to lose... :p

Deboogle!.
05-25-2006, 03:19 PM
I dunno what the US team will do because we don't have a 2nd singles player.... hopefully Robby and the twins can still play and just forefit the other match or something..

Deboogle!.
05-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Robby will play Ferrer tomorrow. Tough match for him....

Lee
05-25-2006, 09:15 PM
I dunno what the US team will do because we don't have a 2nd singles player.... hopefully Robby and the twins can still play and just forefit the other match or something..

What happen to James?

Deboogle!.
05-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Apparently James had committed to an exhibition in Paris a long time ago and he was on tv playing in it yesterday, he's not in Germany anymore. I guess he just went there for a few days to get a match and maybe hang with the guys? I dunno!

idolwatcher1
05-25-2006, 11:14 PM
hmm... "tough match" didn't exactly come to my mind... :lol: There really won't be anything riding on the result of Robby's match tomorrow. The pressure will be on Ferrer to win (if it's on anyone).... He's a Spaniard with WAY better clay results, and is currently ranked higher than Robby, so he should be expected to win. This is Ferrer's best chance to finally take a set or win a match against Robby. ;) Robby should be happy to finally play a Top 20 player this year! :bigclap: He should take this match for what it is- a clay court match to get more comfortable playing on clay... Then, when it's over... regardless of the result, it's on to Roland Garros! :) I hope he makes the most of it, even if he gets spanked ;)

idolwatcher1
05-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Is this a joke!? They're playing their match at 11 PM :haha: I hope Robby is even awake ;) Rain sucks sometimes... :ras:

Deboogle!.
05-26-2006, 11:52 PM
They all had to play indoors so that's why.... if they'd known play was gonna be washed out all day, they probably would've started earlier :)

idolwatcher1
05-27-2006, 12:13 AM
^ and Robby would have known to sleep later too :p oh well...
The final score was 6-3, 6-3... (Ljubicic lost to Ferrer 6-2, 6-2 :tape: ) Game ratio makes it appear as though the match played like 2:1, but point ratio was actually 14:11, so the match was a bit closer than it appears. I hope Robby took something away from his last match before RG... ;)

On to Roland Garros! :)

Deboogle!.
05-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Game ratio makes it appear as though the match played like 2:1, but point ratio was actually 14:11, so the match was a bit closer than it appears.Um, what? :confused: :scratch:

idolwatcher1
05-27-2006, 12:26 AM
David won 70 points in the match, Robby won 55... a 14:11 ratio :p

Deboogle!.
05-27-2006, 12:31 AM
ok, but that's supposed to be meaningful? Robby was broken 4 times serving over 70% and won less than 30% of his 2nd serve points. IMO, that's pretty routine. Ferrer has an average serve so he will always lose some points on his serve but he was only broken once. I guess I just don't think total points won is a meaningful stat - too many times a player will win more points and lose a match.

idolwatcher1
05-27-2006, 12:36 AM
is there a rule somewhere that the ratio has to be "meaningful"?? :lol: All I did was show that the point ratio wasn't as bad as the game ratio... You can take that to mean what you want :p Being broken by a good clay court player from Spain is to also be expected, so I'm not sure why you are bringing that up :p

Deboogle!.
05-27-2006, 12:40 AM
You said that the fact that the point ratio was closer than the game ratio suggested the match was "a bit" closer than the score suggested, which was trying to attribute meaning to that statistic. I'm merely disagreeing with you, saying that I think service breaks and 2nd serve points won are more important (and that the fact that the total points ratio was closer than the games ratio means nothing at all about how close the match was), and that those stats are quite one-sided.

idolwatcher1
05-27-2006, 01:06 AM
um, the match was a bit closer as far as the points that were won by each player as opposed to the games that were won by each player... I wasn't intending to attribute a "meaning" to the statistic... that is something you inferred, but it was not intended... :p I really don't care how each person views a given statistic... I was just posting it to show that the point ratio was closer than the game ratio... Statistics themselves don't have a "side", btw ;)

Björki
05-27-2006, 10:29 AM
saw Robbie at the airport today. he left 7.20 am but was late. :D
but he wasnt the only one who needed three calls.

idolwatcher1
05-27-2006, 04:26 PM
aww! :lol: