a good suggestion [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

a good suggestion

amirbachar
04-30-2006, 11:00 PM
i have a suggestion which i think is a good one:
i suggest that if a player doesn't make any mistake, he will get an extra precent for every correct pick.
for example, if a player make 11 correct picks, and he has 80 points, he will have a 11% bonus, which means he will have 88 points (rounded down).
tell me what you think about it plz.

kfh_9118
05-01-2006, 08:06 AM
not a bad idea actually, although it will mean much more work for the manager.

But of course this way, it will make people more reluctant to pick an upset and take risk. I am sure that type of players (which we have quite a lot in this ATP PAW) will object this idea ;)

amirbachar
05-01-2006, 05:17 PM
so why don't we vote for it?

robuś
05-01-2006, 08:41 PM
not a bad idea actuallyNot a bad idea indeed

although it will mean much more work for the manager
why? I don't remember the tournament, in which someone had 100% won picks.

We can discuss that yet.

kfh_9118
05-02-2006, 04:13 AM
why? I don't remember the tournament, in which someone had 100% won picks.

We can discuss that yet.

I think the idea is to add X% to the total points, depending on how many correct picks.

Say if you have 3 correct picks your total points will be added by 3%, regardless of how many incorrect picks you have.

So the more correct picks, the more percentage will be added to your total points.

Please don't create a vote untill we got more confirmation from the other managers. I personally am ok with the idea, seems that it will bring something new to the game ;)

A_Skywalker
05-02-2006, 07:18 AM
It sounds good ;)

LukeLasko
05-02-2006, 08:15 AM
In my opinion this is not a good idea. Why? It's simple - the main task in PAW is to collect points, not correct pics.

kfh_9118
05-02-2006, 08:33 AM
In my opinion this is not a good idea. Why? It's simple - the main task in PAW is to collect points, not correct pics.

ever wonder why the game is called pick a winner, not pick an upset? that's why I kind of agree with the idea.

lately, it seems that people (including me) tend to go with the big pointers just for the sake of not fall too behind incase the upset happens.

This way, at least there's a motivation for people to get their pick right and get rewarded with extra points. Of course, for those who like to take risk, this way the risk will be higher, but the return will be bigger too :devil:

One other thing, it will prevent lots of tie position in the league table, as this way, we will have a two decimal points (due to the percentage calculations)

The downside:
* too much work for the managers

We need more views from others

robuś
05-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Say if you have 3 correct picks your total points will be added by 3%, regardless of how many incorrect picks you have.Wait, I though you ment the situation that someone has got 100% won picks

i suggest that if a player doesn't make any mistake, he will get an extra precent for every correct pick

kfh_9118
05-02-2006, 10:05 AM
I might interpret it wrong though :o

hallso
05-02-2006, 10:15 AM
I don't like this idea, PAW game is clear in current format and it works very good
I don't see any reasons to change it

LukeLasko
05-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Wait, I though you ment the situation that someone has got 100% won picks

So my idea is:

if someone has 100% correct pics he recieve as many extra pics as the tournament has:

example:
Wimbledon: 26 pics - 26 correct - 26 extra points.
Barcelona: 16 pics - 16 correct - 16 extra points.

But id DOES NOT have any sense because situation when someone has all pics correct is too unexpected to debate about this.

LukeLasko
05-02-2006, 10:25 AM
And if we look at this idea from the other side (extra points for every correct pic) is illogical:

- if you pic correctly - you win points from 2 sources
- if you pic incorrectly - you lose points from 2 sources.

This is stupid thinking. We can create many other sources: extra points for good pic that gives us more than 20 points, penalty points if you have more than 3 incorrect pics, extra 10 points for the first position after 1st round, extra 20 points after 2nd round, etc., etc.

amirbachar
05-02-2006, 10:34 AM
what i mean is that if someone picks only 11 picks for example, and he got them all right, he will get 11% bonus, even if the tournement allows 13 picks.

invu2day
05-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I don't like this idea, PAW game is clear in current format and it works very good
I don't see any reasons to change it

I agree with hallso that PAW is clear in current format and it should not be changed.

Having said that even though this game is entertaining and popular, it is seriously flawed and the name PICK A WINNER is a misdescription. Like another member said it should be called PICK AN UPSET instead :devil:

In this game you are rewarded more for points than for picking more correct winners. At the moment the winning category is points and then correct number of picks. Ideally it should be the reverse with correct number of points being first winning category and then decided on number of points.

But PAW is a successful game and it would be wrong to change it. Having extra % points for correct picks would be a mistake.

One option is to start another game where you are actually rewarded for PICKING A WINNER with points as a second category. This game would entail more skill in picking your selections rather than going for the big points upset. In time this game if there was one would be bigger than PAW as you are rewarded more for your skill rather than chancing an upset. :wavey:

Labamba
05-03-2006, 09:54 PM
One option is to start another game where you are actually rewarded for PICKING A WINNER with points as a second category. This game would entail more skill in picking your selections rather than going for the big points upset. In time this game if there was one would be bigger than PAW as you are rewarded more for your skill rather than chancing an upset. :wavey:

TT ;)

invu2day
05-04-2006, 12:30 AM
TT ;)

BEWARE ......TT IS TAKING OVER :devil:

njnetswill
05-28-2006, 05:22 AM
Adding percent bonuses would be a big pain for the managers to calculate. The points would be unique to each individual player, rather than just a total from a points set that is uniform for every player. Sorry if that sounds confusing, but I'm not sure how many people out there would be willing to spend the time to calculate what is being suggested.

As for picking upsets, I just accept it is as part of the game. I don't see PAW as a game where I am trying to get as many picks right out of 13, I am looking for the picks with the best chance of a good reward. Whether an upset falls under that category is up to each person, and if you feel insecure enough where you have to pick something just because everyone else did, that's your problem? :shrug:

njnetswill
11-30-2006, 03:15 AM
BEWARE ......TT IS TAKING OVER :devil:

Well until I gain the sucess in TT that I've had in PAW, PAW has a loyal supporter in me. :p

Though I admit to joining TT since US Open.

Action Jackson
11-30-2006, 07:11 AM
Don't agree with the idea.

yemok
11-30-2006, 11:02 AM
I agree with hallso that PAW is clear in current format and it should not be changed.

Having said that even though this game is entertaining and popular, it is seriously flawed and the name PICK A WINNER is a misdescription. Like another member said it should be called PICK AN UPSET instead :devil:

In this game you are rewarded more for points than for picking more correct winners. At the moment the winning category is points and then correct number of picks. Ideally it should be the reverse with correct number of points being first winning category and then decided on number of points.

But PAW is a successful game and it would be wrong to change it. Having extra % points for correct picks would be a mistake.

exactly :yeah:

njnetswill
12-01-2006, 06:25 AM
I don't think people who always go for the upsets win at PAW on a consistent basis. Ideally, you pick the correct winners of 8-12, 9-11 and 10-10 type match-ups. That's how most people do well.

Cervantes
12-01-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't agree with the idea either. Like other people said it's all about risk-return in PAW and to add bonus points for correct picks would have people go with favorites more often, which makes it less fun imo.

ntorcida
12-03-2006, 04:25 PM
I do not agree and I hope PAW will not change... and if someone wants to add some % and etc. to points - then please create a new game, leave PAW as it is now please... ;) :wavey:

Frooty_Bazooty
12-18-2006, 12:52 PM
im sorry i think this idea is really bad, totally unecessary and will probably never be implemented. If implemented, the only time I can ever see it happening is if someone only makes perhaps 6 of their 13 picks in a small tournament in which case they should hardly be rewarded for not finishing a tournament properly.

I just dont understand the purpose of it, what problem exactly is it tryin to solve? i think we should be more concerned with tryin to get rid of this ridiculous Grand Slam winner WC into the masters cup thing.

shotgun
12-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Not a good idea IMO, in fact, it would completely ruin the nature of the game.