The SAM QUERREY Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The SAM QUERREY Thread

Pages : [1] 2

tangerine_dream
04-28-2006, 05:10 PM
I've been hearing a lot about Sam lately so it's time Sam got his own thread so that we can get to know him. :)

Here's his ATP profile (minus pic, of course) :rolleyes:
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/default2.asp?playersearch=Querrey

Here's his junior page (with photo) :)
http://www.collegeandjuniortennis.com/EasterBowl05.htm

And here's todays news item....

Querrey rolls after visit with Roddick
By Rhiannon Potkey, rpotkey@VenturaCountyStar.com
April 28, 2006

Spending five days hitting with Andy Roddick isn't a bad way to prepare for a tournament.

That's the strategy Sam Querrey implemented for his opening rounds at the 106th Ojai Valley Tennis Tournament on Thursday afternoon.

The top-seeded Querrey defeated Santa Barbara's Samuel Webster 6-4, 7-5 and Lee Singer of Laguna Niguel 6-2, 6-4 in the Men's Open singles to advance to the quarterfinals.

The Thousand Oaks High senior plays Alexander Reichel today at noon at the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa.

"Everything went pretty good today," Querrey said. "There was a pretty good crowd at the Inn, so that was exciting, and it's good to be one match away from Libbey Park."

Querrey, 18, flew to Austin, Texas, last week to stay at Roddick's house and practice on clay with him as Roddick prepares for the French Open.

The two have become friends while Querrey serves as a practice partner for the United States Davis Cup team.

Making the transition from the clay to the hard courts gave the 6-foot-6 Querrey a bit of trouble during his first match, but by the second round he was rounding into top form.

He faced a very familiar opponent in Singer. The childhood friends played against each other often in the Boys' 10s singles when they lived in Las Vegas.

"I haven't played him in a few years, but it must have been like the 30th time we have played," Querrey said. "It's good to play your friend, but at the same time it is tough. But I played really well during that second match."

Thousand Oaks' JT Sundling, 15, won his opening round over Nicholas Rainey 6-2, 6-3, but lost to No. 3 Zbynek Mlynarik 6-2, 6-2 in the second round. Fellow 15-year-old Daniel Nguyen of Oxnard was beaten by Glendale's Robert Yim 6-1, 6-1.

Calabasas High graduate Gary Sacks lost to No. 2 Brian Wilson 6-2, 6-2 in the second round while Ventura's Dusty Kemick lost to Shane Laporte 6-3, 7-5.

Deboogle!.
04-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Sam :D Seems like such a nice kid.

surfpinky
04-28-2006, 07:46 PM
holy crap he's 6 foot 6 |:
go sam!

tangerine_dream
04-28-2006, 07:58 PM
It's Sam Querrey Day on the Zoo Tennis blog! :yippee:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6262/755/1600/Querrey05Nats.jpg

http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/2006/04/sam-querrey-day.html

Today marks the beginning of the Ojai tournament, a conglomeration of junior, college and open tennis that tops my list of tournaments-I-would-love-to-attend-but-haven't.
Sam Querrey is the top seed in the men's division, and Rhiannon Potkey of the Ventura County Star has a tournament preview here. But after she wrote that story, she followed with two others about Querrey. This one centers on his normal life, and the balance he's been able to strike between tennis and regular teenage activities.

The second one is absolutely a must-read for anyone who cares about junior and college tennis. Called The College Conundrum, Potkey explores Querrey's still-unmade decision about whether he will enter USC or skip college to begin playing professionally. Free registration is required, but do it, you be glad you did. Potkey quotes players, coaches, the USTA, his parents, each giving their opinion on the complex issue of the implications of playing college tennis.

I believe I mentioned a few weeks back that I went to the Davis Cup at Rancho Mirage for the opportunity to ask James Blake about Querrey for a much shorter story I'm writing for Tennis Magazine. (Potkey quotes portions of the answer he gave me in her story). When I interviewed Querrey a few days after that, he told me he would probably decide in the next month or two, because he felt the waiting much longer would be too distracting.

Most readers of zootennis know I think college should be the first choice, but I also feel that each case has its own set of factors to be weighed. How those factors tip the scales to one or the other can only be decided by the person who will live the life.

surfpinky
04-29-2006, 04:23 AM
hey, my plural name is on the picture |:

tangerine_dream
04-29-2006, 11:44 PM
More on Sam :banana:

http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/tennis/article/0,1375,VCS_143_4651318,00.html

Budding tennis star leads a normal teen life
Querrey makes time for friends and forehand

By Rhiannon Potkey
April 26, 2006

The black Volkswagen Passat exited Highway 23 to make an urgent detour.

Swinging through the Taco Bell drive-through, Sam Querrey loaded up on chalupas and double-decker tacos for a ping-pong showdown with his buddies.

Two weeks removed from traveling with the United States Davis Cup team and two days away from flying to Texas to visit Andy Roddick, Querrey is soaking up life as a normal teenager.

As the tennis player being labeled "The Next Great American," Querrey doesn't fit the stereotypical mold. The 18-year-old shunned attending an academy because he valued time spent with family and friends.

The Thousand Oaks High senior would rather join his classmates cheering at a boys' volleyball game than spend hours drilling by himself with a ball machine on the court.

'A DIFFERENT WAY'

"I still work just as hard as the other kids at the academies, I just go about it a different way," Querrey said. "I think it's been better because my life is not all about tennis. I go to a regular high school and can have fun doing pointless stuff with my friends."

Querrey's rapid rise through the tennis ranks the last few years has positioned him among the world's best. He's gone from being a mid-level junior playing Southern California Junior Tennis Association events to a budding amateur star competing with professionals on the ATP Tour.

"I have never seen a kid develop so quickly," said Querrey's coach, Grant Doyle, a former top-ranked junior in the world while playing in his native Australia. "When Sam started, he had an average forehand and an average serve. Now, he has a rocket serve, and his forehand is one of the best in the game. And the scary thing is he can still get better."

The 6-foot-6-inch, 200-pound Querrey first picked up a racket at age 5 when his mom worked the front desk of a tennis club in Santa Rosa. By the time his family moved to Thousand Oaks in 1998, he knew he wanted to pursue the sport full time.

'A VERY BID KID INSIDE'

But Querrey never wanted to sacrifice the lazy hours hanging out with his dad watching basketball games or the casual conversations with his mom as she prepares dinner.

"The most important thing in Sam's life is his family. He loves just being around the house," said his father, Mike Querrey. "He's grown into a big person, but he is still a very big kid inside."

As his game improves, Querrey has been spending more time on the road playing tournaments. He was invited to be a practice partner with the Davis Cup team, and accompanied Roddick, James Blake and Camarillo's Bob and Mike Bryan to Belgium and Rancho Mirage.

"I never thought I would be friends with these guys," Querrey said. "It's cool to tell your friends at school you are going to Andy Roddick's house to hit for the weekend."

Being a rookie, Querrey was treated to some Davis Cup hazing. The team made him sing karaoke in front of 200 people in a hotel lobby. He belted out the lyrics to "As Long As You Love Me" by the Backstreet Boys and "She Bangs" by Ricky Martin.

"We call him Napoleon Dynamite because he reminds us of that guy," Bob Bryan said. "He is such a likable guy and a good sport. Any kind of crap we make him do, he takes it on the chin with a smile on his face."

Before Querrey joined the Davis Cup team in Belgium, Bob Bryan "couldn't pick him out of a one-man lineup," he said. "But now I am pretty impressed with his skills. He has already shown he can compete at the highest level at 18 and taken sets off guys out here. There hasn't been an American like that since Andy. It's good to see for American tennis."

NOT BEING A JERK

During a recent practice session at North Ranch Country Club, a foursome of women gasped as Querrey unleashed a 140-mph serve.

He blushed at their reaction. Querrey says remaining humble is a quality he values.

"I am really conscious of that," he said. "I see some guys on tour who are kind of jerks to everyone, and I just hate those guys. I want to be nice as much as possible, yet still have the focus and will to win."

After inhaling his chalupas and playing a few games of ping-pong with his friends, Querrey jumped back into his car and headed to the gym to lift weights.

A day that began as a teacher's assistant in a 10th-grade English class would end with Querrey driving his little sister, Ellen, to volleyball practice and then packing for his flight to Roddick's house.

"I think it's cool to be the first person to win a Marmonte League singles title and two rounds at the NASDAQ," Querrey said as he accelerated down Thousand Oaks Boulevard. "Who else on tour can say that?"

surfpinky
04-30-2006, 12:00 AM
he drives a volkswagen, I like him

Being a rookie, Querrey was treated to some Davis Cup hazing. The team made him sing karaoke in front of 200 people in a hotel lobby. He belted out the lyrics to "As Long As You Love Me" by the Backstreet Boys and "She Bangs" by Ricky Martin.
:spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit:
A day that began as a teacher's assistant in a 10th-grade English class would end with Querrey driving his little sister, Ellen, to volleyball practice and then packing for his flight to Roddick's house.
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww [:!

04-30-2006, 09:22 PM
I kept looking at the name in the thread title trying to remember where I had seen it before and then I remembered reading about him hitting with Andy in Davis Cup practice. I hope he will do well :) And thanks for starting him a thread :)

Deboogle!.
05-02-2006, 03:40 PM
:)

Querrey readies for the big time
T.O. prodigy's pick: USC or pro stardom
BY ERIK BOAL, Special to the Daily News
Inside SOCAL

OJAI

He's worked out on clay courts in Texas with Andy Roddick, won a set against James Blake at the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells and advanced to the finals of two events at the 106th annual Ojai Valley Tennis Tournament.

And that's just in the past two months.

Less than six weeks from his graduation at Thousand Oaks High, Sam Querrey has little in common with most 18-year-olds preparing to head off to college. With a No. 358 world ranking, he might not attend college at all.

Querrey has grown accustomed to what life might be like if he chooses to pass on USC and join the professional ranks.

He's competed in Dallas, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Miami and New York, played in the junior French Open, U.S. Open and Wimbledon, and signed more autographs than most professional athletes do in a season.

"I almost feel like I've already graduated," Querrey said.

To his friends at Thousand Oaks, he's still "Sam," the guy who has made the rapid ascent from a round-of-16 loss in the CIF competition at Ojai in 2003 to winning the high school title as a sophomore to competing in the men's open final Sunday.

To the hordes of fans packing the bleachers around the stadium court at the Ojai Valley Inn or Libbey Park, he's "Sammy," a local hero whose popularity has people arriving two hours early to secure seats to watch him compete against grown men.

And to many tennis experts, he's the 6-foot-6, 200-pound phenom with the booming first serve, explosive forehand and precision drop shots, who has the potential to become the future of American men's tennis.

"He's the young guy, and he has all the future, and the people want to feel like they're a part of that," said Zbynek Mlynarik, 29, a former ATP player and Chatsworth resident who defeated Querrey 6-3, 1-6, 6-1 in Sunday's men's singles final at Ojai. "If he keeps going in the same direction, and he keeps working hard, he has the potential to go farther up (in the rankings).

"He has a big game, but he still has a lot he can develop. He still has a lot to get better in, which is good."

Noah Newman, 28, a UCLA standout in the late 1990s, lost to Querrey 6-2, 6-4 in Saturday's semifinals. Following the match, Newman showered the former junior Davis Cup player with compliments, saying his combination of size and skill, agility and court coverage could one day lead to Grand Slam wins.

Querrey was a practice partner for the U.S. Davis Cup team for a qualifier last year in Belgium, and he has recorded victories over Americans Amer Delic and Bobby Reynolds and Spain's Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, all in the world top 180. He's pushed Americans Jeff Morrison, Alex Bogomolov Jr., Vince Spadea and Blake - all in the top 170 - to three sets.

"When you practice with guys like Roddick and Blake, that's the best kind of practice you can get," said Querrey, who has clay-court challenger events the next two weeks in Tunica, Miss., and Forest Hills, N.Y. "I don't think a lot of guys have been given the same opportunities as I have. I consider myself very fortunate. ...

"When you're playing challengers in Mobile (Ala.), it's probably like playing Single-A or Double-A baseball. But when you're playing at the NASDAQ (Open) or the U.S. Open, there's nothing better. You get to the point where you want to do that full-time. That's my motivation."

To ascend among the world's elite, Querrey knows he has to be able to produce more consistent results, especially in three-set matches. He lost in the first round at a challenger event in Valencia two weeks before reaching the final at Ojai

"(Before Ojai) the last 10 tournaments I played, I've had nothing to lose because I was the underdog," said Querrey, who received wild-card entries into three ATP events this year and reached the second round at Indian Wells. "But sometimes it's good to have the pressure to perform and to do well. Everyone needs that."

Querrey knows that the pressure will mount the next three weeks, before he decides if he'll attend USC or turn pro.

"I just want to keep a calm head," Querrey said. "Things have been going great and I just want to keep it rolling."

Deboogle!.
06-01-2006, 03:03 AM
Well, Sam officially decided to go pro. I think for him it's probably a good idea :)
===========
Querrey believes he's well served for pro game
Thousand Oaks High senior to skip college for tennis tour
By Rhiannon Potkey, rpotkey@VenturaCountyStar.com
May 31, 2006

Believing it was an opportunity he couldn't let pass him by, Sam Querrey has decided to forgo a college tennis career at USC and turn professional.

The 18-year-old Thousand Oaks resident has signed a contract with SFX Sports and will make his professional debut in Yuba City this weekend.

"I just feel that my game is already at that level," Querrey said. "I can hit the ball and compete with those guys who are the top 100 in the world."

Ranked No. 353 on the ATP Tour, the 6-foot-6, 200-pound Querrey has spent the last year playing professional events as an amateur with some promising results.

He reached the quarterfinals of the Dallas Challenger, extended No. 8-ranked James Blake to three sets at Indian Wells and took Vince Spadea to three sets in San Jose.

Although Querrey always wanted to experience college life and playing on a team, the Thousand Oaks High senior realized the chance for a professional career may only come once in a lifetime.

"I think he felt the deck was stacked in his favor right now, and he wanted to take the opportunity and run with that," his father, Mike Querrey, said. "If he wants to ever go back to school and get a degree he can still do that. But the opportunity to play professionally existed today. It's not going to happen overnight. We are looking at this as a three-year chunk, but he is going to put 100 percent of his energies into it during that time and see what happens."

While he was disappointed Querrey won't be in his lineup in the fall, USC coach Peter Smith wasn't surprised by the decision.

"He is a phenom. He is 6-foot-6, serves 140 (mph) and moves like a gazelle," Smith said. "I just wish him the best of luck. He is a wonderful kid and has a great future ahead of him."
While serving as a practice partner for the United States Davis Cup team, Querrey solicited the advice about his decision from Andy Roddick, Camarillo's Bob and Mike Bryan and Blake. The Bryans attended Stanford for two years, Blake went to Harvard for two years while Roddick bypassed college for the tour.

"I think spending time with them really helped Sam during this whole process," Querrey's mother, Christine Querrey, said. "They were great at answering his questions and telling him about their experiences in college and on the tour. He really valued what they had to say."

Querrey and his family met with Donald Dell and Colin Smeeton of SFX Sports, a

Washington D.C.-based agency that also represents the Bryan twins, two weeks ago during a Challenger event in Forest Hills, N.Y.

When he returned home, Querrey spent a few days mulling over the SFX proposal and the idea of wearing cardinal and gold while playing for an NCAA title. But once he made his final decision, Querrey felt like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

"It was definitely a relief," he said. "It took a little longer than it probably should have and was a little stressful. But I am happy with the choice I made. I think it will help my tennis game now that I don't have to think about that stuff anymore."

Querrey plans to undertake an ambitious schedule the rest of the season by playing in 23 events.

But he has a few more pressing matters to attend to before embarking on his first year as a full-time professional. He has a math analysis final scheduled for today, and after returning from Yuba City, he will take part in graduation festivities at Thousand Oaks High.

"I am really excited about doing all that fun stuff," Querrey said. "It will be a good way to end things here before I start traveling all the time and trying to make money for a living."

ae wowww
06-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Yeah definitely a good idea Sammy :D

tangerine_dream
06-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Yup! Sam's decided to go pro :bounce: Can't wait to see him play soon. :D

http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/news/article/0,1375,VCS_121_4739249,00.html

Querrey believes he's well served for pro game
The 18-year-old Thousand Oaks resident has signed a contract with SFX Sports and will make his professional debut in Yuba City this weekend.

"I just feel that my game is already at that level," Querrey said. "I can hit the ball and compete with those guys who are the top 100 in the world."

USC coach Peter Smith wasn't surprised by the decision.

"He is a phenom. He is 6-foot-6, serves 140 (mph) and moves like a gazelle," Smith said. "I just wish him the best of luck. He is a wonderful kid and has a great future ahead of him."

While serving as a practice partner for the United States Davis Cup team, Querrey solicited the advice about his decision from Andy Roddick, Camarillo's Bob and Mike Bryan and Blake. The Bryans attended Stanford for two years, Blake went to Harvard for two years while Roddick bypassed college for the tour.

"I think spending time with them really helped Sam during this whole process," Querrey's mother, Christine Querrey, said. "They were great at answering his questions and telling him about their experiences in college and on the tour. He really valued what they had to say."

Good luck, Sam! :banana:

Deboogle!.
06-03-2006, 05:44 PM
And he was practicing with Andre this past week out here in Cali :yeah:

Fee
06-03-2006, 05:56 PM
He's headed up here to Yuba City, but since I'm working I won't see him unless he makes the semi's next weekend. Not sure if he's going to play any of the Futures events up here that follow, but it would be very cool if he did.

Fee
06-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Sam won the Yuba City Challenger, his first title as a pro in his first tournament as a pro. :banana:

Here's the draw: http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2006/2212/mds.pdf

Deboogle!.
06-12-2006, 12:06 AM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tangerine_dream
06-13-2006, 04:19 AM
Sam won the Yuba City Challenger, his first title as a pro in his first tournament as a pro. :banana:

Here's the draw: http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/posting/2006/2212/mds.pdf

Wow!!! WTG, Sam :banana:

Deboogle!.
06-13-2006, 04:40 AM
That got him almost 100 spots in the ranking, too :D

Scotso
06-13-2006, 04:41 AM
Sam :bounce:

Nice win there :D

tangerine_dream
07-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Sam News :D

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/la-sp-querrey11jul11,0,6555952.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

U.S. Tennis Looks to a 6-Foot-6 Answer

By Lauren Peterson
Times Staff Writer
Posted July 11 2006

The teenager being tabbed as the next big thing in U.S. men's tennis was not difficult to spot.

Sam Querrey stood out with his 6-foot-6, 200-pound frame, but his karaoke impressions of the Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears in the lobby of a Rancho Mirage hotel really turned heads.

"It wasn't too bad, once I got up there and got into it," Querrey said of his singing. "I thought I was pretty good. I don't know what other people thought, though." :banana:

With a 135-mph serve and formidable forehand, the 18-year-old from Thousand Oaks does a better impression of Andy Roddick anyway.

Querrey on Sunday collected his second victory in three tournaments since turning pro last month, days after turning down a scholarship to USC. This time it was the $50,000 USTA North Shore Pro Tennis Championships, a challenger tournament in Winnetka, Ill., in which he beat Andrea Stoppini of Italy in the final, 6-2, 6-3.

"I'm a big believer in Sam Querrey. He's the real deal," said Eliot Teltscher, the director of High Performance, the U.S. Tennis Assn.'s player-development program. "Whether he'll be No. 1 or No. 10, or No. 50, we don't know yet.

"But is the potential there? Absolutely."

Querrey's success couldn't be happening at a better time for the USTA, which a week ago at Wimbledon was addressing the worrisome state of American tennis and its next generation of players.

The USTA was stung by the criticism of its player development program after Roddick, James Blake and 16-year-old junior-level player Donald Young all lost in the third round at Wimbledon. Roddick dropped to No. 11 in the ATP rankings while Blake is No. 6. Young, who was expected to be the next U.S. star, has yet to win a challenger or tour-level match since turning pro in 2004. He has never been ranked higher than No. 530 and is now at No. 603.

Querrey, on the other hand, has had a startling climb in the rankings, jumping from No. 1,146 to No. 207 in less than a year.

"I don't really know what other people's expectations are, but mine are definitely getting higher every day," he said after winning Sunday. "I'm just trying to do my own thing, and hopefully, good things will keep happening."

U.S. Davis Cup team captain Patrick McEnroe keeps a close eye on the country's most promising young players and likes what he sees in Querrey.

"He's sort of moved his way to the top of that list," McEnroe said. "He's definitely got the game, and the right frame of mind, and I have to say, there aren't that many."

Unlike Young and others, Querrey played only part-time as a junior, winning national events in each of the three highest age groups in the last four years, but limiting international play. The low-profile approach kept him largely under wraps until the right-hander won consecutive International Tennis Federation junior events in April 2005.

Within days of turning pro, Querrey made his presence felt, winning the $50,000 Sunset-Moulding Yuba City Racquet Club Challenger. USTA officials could not recall a challenger-level tournament — one step below the ATP tour — ever being won by a player in his debut. The victory, good for a $7,200 winner's purse, came four days after Querrey signed with SFX Sports Group and four days before he graduated from Thousand Oaks High. "It gave a little assurance that I made the right decision to turn pro," Querrey said.

The Davis Cup team helped too.

Querrey has twice served as a practice partner for members Roddick, Blake and 2006 Wimbledon men's doubles champions Mike and Bob Bryan during weeks before Davis Cup play — accompanying them to matches in Belgium in September and to Rancho Mirage in April.

"I've just been playing with those guys a lot, and I feel like I'm on that level — or at least, I feel like I'm right there next to them," Querrey said. "When we play practice sets and we play games, I'm pretty close, so I think, one day, I can beat them."

He has been a quick study and a good sport — the karaoke-singing was done at the behest of Davis Cup members — but it was a simple act of courtesy that impressed McEnroe.

"He's one of the few players that has ever sent me a thank-you note," McEnroe said. "He appreciates it, and that means a lot."

Querrey's work with the Davis Cup team has led to other opportunities.

When Blake needed a hitting partner while in Chicago in December, he called on Querrey.

"I've been involved in a lot of things where people are asking about the future of U.S. men's tennis, and who's coming up, and my answer right now is Sam Querrey," said Blake, who in March had to come from behind to beat his practice partner, 1-6, 6-1, 6-3, in the second round of the Pacific Life Open. Querrey was in the tournament as an amateur wild-card entrant.

In April, Querrey spent a week practicing with Roddick at the 2003 U.S. Open champion's home in Austin, Texas. Two days in June were spent working with eight-time Grand Slam winner Andre Agassi.

"I could see a huge improvement in him after he hit with Andy," said Grant Doyle, a former tour pro and Querrey's private coach. "Andy can tell him stuff, and just because it's Andy Roddick, he'll listen." :yeah:

The progress excites not only coaches and tennis officials, but also Querrey.

"It's really only been in the last six months or so that I've kind of realized how good I am and what I might be able to do," he said. :rocker:

This week he is playing as a wild-card entry in an ATP tour event in Newport, R.I. Next up is the RCA Championships in Indianapolis and then he hopes to qualify or be granted a wild card into the Countrywide Classic at UCLA later this month.

"We're hoping that in the next two years, Sam will be able to make a dent on the tour," said Rodney Harmon, the director of men's tennis for USTA's development program.

Querrey already has had a taste of Grand Slam tennis.

He played in last year's French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open junior divisions, and in 2004 fell to Scottish sensation Andy Murray in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open junior event.

"I'd like to see Sam play Andy Murray in the real U.S. Open," Teltscher said. "That could happen." :cool:

Querrey has another idea.

"Maybe playing in the U.S. Open quarterfinals against Andy Roddick," he said. "Hopefully, that's where I'm going to be in five years." :scared:

He's already practicing for it.
:banana:

Querrey touted as next U.S. tennis star

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif., July 11 (UPI) -- Sam Querrey, an 18-year-old tennis player who turned pro just last month, has been touted by experts as the next big U.S. star for the sport.

Querrey, whose 135-mph serve and strong forearm won two of the three tournaments he has played in since turning pro, could be the answer to the USTA's fears that the U.S. tennis talent pool is drained, The Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.

"I'm a big believer in Sam Querrey. He's the real deal," Eliot Teltscher, the director of High Performance, the United States Tennis Association's player-development program, told the newspaper. "Whether he'll be No. 1 or No. 10, or No. 50, we don't know yet. But is the potential there? Absolutely."

The USTA had fallen under criticism after players Andy Roddick, James Blake and Donald Young lost in the third round at Wimbledon.

Querrey has given the USTA reason to hope, climbing from No. 1,146 in ATP rankings to No. 207 in less than a year.

"I don't really know what other people's expectations are, but mine are definitely getting higher every day," he said to the Times.

uglyamerican
07-11-2006, 08:32 PM
This thread needs more posts. Go SAM. He's won the first set at Newport.

uglyamerican
07-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Sam beat Udomchoke, a not terrible grass-courter. I thought he'd be in a second round match with Murray, but the Irishman is not holding up his end of the deal.

cobalt60
07-11-2006, 09:00 PM
:yeah: Glad he got the wildcard!

Deboogle!.
07-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Sam beat Udomchoke, a not terrible grass-courter. I thought he'd be in a second round match with Murray, but the Irishman is not holding up his end of the deal.Scottish :p

Yay Sam :banana: I think Sam is going to be my new favorite player!

uglyamerican
07-11-2006, 09:02 PM
He should break the top 200 based on this result.

Deboogle!.
07-11-2006, 09:07 PM
He should break the top 200 based on this result.Yep he definitely should. Down there the points are so close together that just a few points is enough, most of those guys aren't playing tour-level events so the 15 points or so he'll get will bump him a lot.

uglyamerican
07-11-2006, 09:46 PM
The Irishman did win. I think Sam will beat him.

Chaos Inc.
07-11-2006, 10:00 PM
And he was practicing with Andre this past week out here in Cali :yeah:

Andre really likes the kid. Thinks he has a chance to be outstanding. Has a lot of work to do of course but the talent to be at least a top 10 player, if not better, is there.

Deboogle!.
07-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Andre really likes the kid. Thinks he has a chance to be outstanding. Has a lot of work to do of course but the talent to be at least a top 10 player, if not better, is there.
From what I've seen of him, I think he has the potential too.

Scottish, Joe, Murray is Scottish :p

uglyamerican
07-12-2006, 03:10 AM
Do you not recall this exchange from a Wimbledon press conference, Deb?

Q. My question is, you might not want to answer, but how do you think he'd fit in terms of having Brad as a coach? How do you think that chemistry will work?

ANDY RODDICK: Brad's a great coach, there's no doubt about it, you know. But if, you know, California and Texas are far apart, California and Ireland are a lot further apart.

Q. Scotland.

ANDY RODDICK: Scotland sorry. Oh, God, I just shot myself in the foot. It's gonna be everywhere. Sorry. Excuse me. No, Scotland. I knew that.

Deboogle!.
07-12-2006, 03:11 AM
Yes of course I do, but....so you're just trying to be funny? :haha: okay then. anyway, go Sam! :p

tangerine_dream
07-12-2006, 04:47 AM
Joe is being an uglycanadian. :p

Sam gets AndMy next. Let's go Sammy :devil:

gusman890
07-12-2006, 05:32 PM
as a big believer of American Tennis, from what articles i have read here on MTF and the USTA sites on the internet, he seems like a really nice kid and seems to be getting fairly good results for a kid his age.

I wish him the best of luck in the future and hope he does well in newport and Indy when he goes there ;)

uglyamerican
07-12-2006, 07:21 PM

Now that's the spirit! My accent is so Northern it could be (and has been) mistaken for Canadian. :o

I think today's match will be a fun test for both boys.

tangerine_dream
07-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Before the rain delay, Sam managed to break back but the match ended with Murray up 5-3, Sam serving. Here are some pics from today. :)

USA's Sam Querrey stretches to return a shot to Andy Murray of Great Britain during their match at the Hall of Fame tennis championships in Newport, R.I. Thursday, July 13, 2006. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

USA's Sam Querrey returns the ball to Andy Murray of Great Britain during their match at the Hall of Fame tennis championships in Newport, R.I. Thursday, July 13, 2006. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

cobalt60
07-13-2006, 07:45 PM

Well let's hope the "irish player" shows up. Turn it around Sam. I would like an upset :devil:

Chaos Inc.
07-13-2006, 10:23 PM
Before the rain delay, Sam managed to break back but the match ended with Murray up 5-3, Sam serving. Here are some pics from today. :)

USA's Sam Querrey stretches to return a shot to Andy Murray of Great Britain during their match at the Hall of Fame tennis championships in Newport, R.I. Thursday, July 13, 2006. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

USA's Sam Querrey returns the ball to Andy Murray of Great Britain during their match at the Hall of Fame tennis championships in Newport, R.I. Thursday, July 13, 2006. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

Sam was actually up a break earlier in the set and Murray broke him twice before the rain delay.

It will be disappointing if Sam loses this match but understandable. Querrey has more natural talent than Murray, much more upside, but experience obviously plays a big role. Wins and losses are important but especially early in his career, Sam needs to be more concerned about learning the ropes of the ATP and working on honing and refining his game. Querrey's time in the spotlight will come soon enough and he will outshine the likes of Murray.......

Scotso
07-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Sam lost 5-7 2-6 :sad:

it was still a good event for him :yeah:

Deboogle!.
07-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Yep sure was, he got his first ATP win and should break 200! :banana:

Grinder
07-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Yep sure was, he got his first ATP win and should break 200! :banana:

Second ATP win, he beat Reynolds in Indian Wells. ;)

Chaos Inc.
07-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Good job Sam. Give them hell in Indy next week.

Deboogle!.
07-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Second ATP win, he beat Reynolds in Indian Wells. ;)Hm ok right. I was just going off a newspaper article I read last night.. :smash:

Chaos Inc.
07-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Querrey's draw is not too tough. I expect him to have a good run at Indy.

Tipsarevic is a very beatable player for Sam at this point in the 1st round. In the 2nd round he has Fernando Gonzalez. Good player but Fernando has never played Indy, probably not familiar with the speed of the court. If Querrey can get by Gonzalez, if the seeding holds, he will get a slumping Spadea next. Certainly a winnable match. Tursunov will be tough if he has to face him in the quarterfinal match but if he makes it that far he will be playing well and it will be a match he will at least have a fair shot in. His run will come to an end most likely in the semifinals if he has to play Blake or Safin but it will be a great week if he can get that far.

Deboogle!.
07-15-2006, 01:46 AM
That's quite optimistic but I don't see Sam making it quite that far :(

Deboogle!.
07-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Sam beat Tipsarevic 6-4 6-7(4) 6-4! nice comeback considering he had 4-2 in the 2nd set TB and lost the next 5 points. Good win for him! good luck for later rounds :)

Jlee
07-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Congrats Sam! Great win today!!

Maybe following Andy's advice instead of James' will pay off ;)

ae wowww
07-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Great to see the Americans start well in the USO Series :D Long may it continue!

tangerine_dream
07-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Interesting article about junior players' success on the pro tour. :)

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=15672&bannerregion=
No Longer Child's Play
07/20/2006

For nearly 30 years, since the International Tennis Federation (ITF) first started tracking world junior rankings in 1978, being the top junior has been no predictor of success on the pro tour. Dominant juniors have often fallen on hard times once they have turned pro, and most have come nowhere near topping the pro charts.

Dominant juniors have often fallen on hard times once they have turned pro, and most have come nowhere near topping the pro charts. Only five men and two women during those years have pulled off the Miracle Double, a No. 1 world ranking on both the junior and pro levels.

Four of those seven — Martina Hingis, Ivan Lendl, Stefan Edberg and Roger Federer — are already tennis immortals. Amelie Mauresmo and Andy Roddick are still top-ranked players, leaving Marcelo Rios as the only member of the Miracle Double never to win a Grand Slam event title. But the rest of the ITF Honor Roll reads at times like the setup for a VH-1 special entitled "Where Are They Now?" It includes such pro washouts as Karina Habsudova, Brian Dunn, Nino Louarsabishvili, Federico Browne, Rossana de los Rios, Kristian Pless and Lina Krasnoroutskaia. Others like Anna Kournikova, Jelena Dokic, Andrea Gaudenzi and Arnaud Di Pasquale had their brief periods of time in the sun on the pro tour, but quickly dropped off the top-ranking lists, sometimes completely out of sight.

Interestingly, since 2000, former No. 1 junior players have had more success since turning pro on the men's side. Roddick, the No. 1 junior in 2000, won the U.S. Open only three years later. Gilles Muller, Richard Gasquet, Marcos Baghdatis and Gael Monfils have followed with impressive ATP wins, and except for Muller, current Top 40 rankings.

The junior-to-pro transition has been a more treacherous trip this century for the women. Svetlana Kuznetsova, the top-junior girl in 2001, has fulfilled her promise, winning the U.S. Open in 2004, reaching the final of Roland Garros this year and breaking into the Top 10. The next most prominent contender is probably 17-year-old Michaella Krajicek of the Netherlands, the 2004 No. 1 junior, currently at a career-best No. 39 after having downed Dinara Safina in the final of the Tier III tournament at s'Hertogenbosch this year. (She also captured the Hobart title earlier in 2006.)

Of course, most girls who become the No. 1 junior after the age of 15 — as did Maria-Emilia Salerni in 2000, Barbara Strycova in 2002, Kirsten Flipkens in 2003, Krajicek in 2004 and Victoria Azarenka in 2005 — are already fighting an uphill battle. The top five women on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Rankings list in mid-June — Mauresmo, Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Maria Sharapova and Nadia Petrova — were all pros by 15.

Both Donald Young of Atlanta and Azarenka of Belarus, the top juniors of 2005, turned pro last year and had their 17th birthdays in July. While Azarenka has had modest success, reaching a career- high ranking of No. 101 in June, Young has yet to win a match — or even a set — in nine tries on the ATP tour. Surprising many, Sam Querrey, who lost to Young in the final of the 2005 USTA Boys' 18s National Junior Championships at Kalamazoo, has surfaced as a much more formidable pro than Young.

Querrey, of Thousand Oaks, Calif., was the 100th-ranked junior at the beginning of 2005 and, ultimately, plateaued in the juniors at No. 10. But this June, after winning a Challenger tournament, he had a career-high ATP ranking of No. 254. (On the same date, Young was ranked No. 597.) He also won a match at the Masters Series event at Indian Wells in March before taking the first set off of James Blake in the second round.

"Donald has more pressure on him because of [his former] No. 1 junior ranking," says Querrey, who is almost two years older than Young. "He's played bigger tournaments than I have since turning pro, and he might have been better off playing more Futures and Challengers, which he's doing now. It's hard to start off and play your first match against Tim Henman."

Querrey is 6-foot-6, making him nine inches taller and 55-pounds heavier than Young, and also possesses a bigger game than his peer.

"I'm bigger than Donald Young," he says. "I hit the ball a little harder, and I have a bigger serve, which definitely helps in the pro game. A lot of guys can't make the adjustment from the juniors to the pros. You can be a little scrappy guy in the juniors and just hit a million balls. But at the next level, guys start jumping on balls with no pace and overwhelm players. I've made the adjustment by hitting out more, but at the same time, trying to be more consistent and play smarter throughout the entire match."

The game that worked so well for many dominant junior players does not always translate into success at the pro level. Some players, such as Young, and among the girls, Strycova and Flipkens, who are only 5-foot-4-and-1/2 and 5-foot-5 respectively, might suffer because their games are not big enough and they were never severely tested in the juniors.

"Obviously, a great junior player becomes No. 1 at a cost," says Barry MacKay, a former tour player in the 1950s and '60s and current announcer for The Tennis Channel. "That cost is developing the game that will work for them in the big picture. Take a baseliner; the kid can win against other juniors by staying back and not taking any chances. He becomes the best junior because he has a steady game, but he doesn't develop an arsenal of shots. He doesn't have the ability to expand his game because he only concentrated on winning in the juniors. He has to almost start from scratch in the pros."

Gilles Muller, the ITF's No. 1 boy in 2001 and now ranked No. 66 on the ATP tour, tells a story that illustrates MacKay's proposition.

"I was the No. 2 junior and I knew if I wanted to be No. 1," he says, "I'd have to play a lot of junior tournaments. I traveled all over the world playing junior events and it tired me out. I couldn't practice very much and develop my game. I wish someone had said to me after I won the U.S. Open junior event, 'Look, you've won a Grand Slam tournament now. It's time to drop your quest to be No. 1 and prepare for playing on the pro tour.' "

For a No. 1 junior, life is good, with agents and potential sponsors singing your praises every time you walk into a room or on the court. But once that player turns pro, he or she is a marked man or woman by other players, and without continuing success, the Hosanna Chorus soon dissipates.

"I had more fun as a junior," says Ivan Baron, who was the No. 1 junior in 1990 and reached a career-best of No. 218 on the pro tour. "When you're winning all the time, its fun. I'd hear guys in the pros say, 'That's the junior champion' when they went up against me. Nobody wants to lose to a guy younger than [oneself] with a big reputation."

It's still tennis, but the game is different and the stakes are higher.

"As a top junior, going into the pros," says Cara Black, the No. 1 junior girl in 1997, who reached a career-high of No. 31 on the WTA Tour, "I definitely felt the need to prove myself. The juniors are a good launching pad for a professional career, but the standard is a lot tougher in the pros. I was proud of my achievement in the juniors, but it was only a short period in my tennis career and it's a lot tougher year-in, year-out to maintain a high level on the pro tour."

"In the pros," says Muller, "if you give away a free point or you lose focus for 10 seconds, you can lose two or three games. If you lose a set, the other guy is on top of you. In the juniors, you could have lapses in concentration because the players aren't as mentally strong. When I started playing Challengers and qualifying tournaments of ATP events, I had the feeling that my opponents were trying to kill me. In the juniors, it was more relaxing."

Kristian Pless, the No. 1 junior in 1999, says that in the pro game "there's more thinking as to what kind of game to play and what style works best. You don't really learn how to play in the juniors. It's either two guys just pushing the ball back or guys who are hitting 'bang, bang' on every shot."

Justin Gimelstob, who reached top rankings in the American 14s, 16s and 18s, says learning how to lose in the pros and recovering from losses can be more important than making a big initial splash.

"In the juniors, you don't lose a lot, but in the pros, you do," says Gimelstob. "Everybody is better, faster and stronger. It's an entirely different level. And no top junior steps in and starts winning consistently right away. You have to accept that losing is part of playing the pro game. It's going to happen, and you have to figure out how to deal with it."

Pless, from Denmark, had reasonable early success, making it to No. 65 in the ATP rankings after only one year on tour, but he says he lost his motivation and then injuries struck.

"I had worked hard to become No. 1 in the juniors," says Pless, who is now ranked No. 139 after having endured three shoulder operations and returning to the tour two years ago with no ranking. "It was very easy for me to win most of my pro matches at the beginning, but then I stopped putting the effort in. It came too easy."

Pless and Muller, who is from Luxembourg, both say their fates in the game were made more difficult than those of top juniors from big tennis countries. No. 1 juniors from smaller countries aren't granted as many wild cards into ATP tournaments and, so, do not have the peer pressure and competition of fellow countrymen to spur them on.

"I only got wild cards at Wimbledon and a small tournament in Denmark," says Pless, whose competitors in the juniors were David Nalbandian, Guillermo Coria and Jarkko Nieminen. "If I were an American, I pretty much could have skipped the Futures and Challengers, which would have been better because you can lose your confidence playing the lower-level tournaments. Also, coming from Denmark, I didn't have a compatriot to push me. In Spain, Argentina or the States, there are so many good players that they all push each other to go higher in the rankings."

Says Muller, "I only got one wild card for a main draw ATP event. It was the same for (Marcos) Baghdatis."

Young, at the other end of the spectrum, has been the recipient of wild cards in every ATP tournament he has played and, early on, got to hit with John McEnroe. American Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe criticized Young's management for taking so many wild cards, saying he worries that Young's one-sided losses could shatter his confidence.

"I don't think putting him in major tournaments is the right move right now," McEnroe said. "It's one thing to play here and there, but he's not competitive at that level. In my opinion, it's a mistake."

McEnroe continued by saying that becoming a professional is a process and that he believes Young should be winning Challengers and Futures before venturing onto the ATP tour. Mary Joe Fernandez, who won four consecutive titles at the Orange Bowl, the top international junior event, and turned pro at 14, agrees with McEnroe that making an accelerated transition into the pro game can devastate top junior players' psyches.

"I entered the pro tour when Martina (Navratilova) and Chris (Evert) were still playing, and Steffi (Graf) and Monica (Seles) were just breaking in," says Fernandez, who turned pro in 1985. "I only received a couple of wild cards at the beginning; so I qualified a lot to get my ranking up. But looking back, I think I would've broken through quicker if I had started playing lower-level pro tournaments the way Conchita Martinez did. Kournikova also lost her winning ways by playing too many big tournaments too quickly. There are always exceptions, like Hingis and Sharapova, who are so amazing, so young, but I think more top juniors are now starting out their pro careers by playing smaller tournaments."

Lofty expectations have stalled many a top junior's climb up the pro rankings. Even for juniors who enter the pro tour with right-sized goals, the reality of finding a winning game is daunting.

"When you're No. 1 from a small country," Muller says, "the expectations are huge. A lot of people in my country thought I was going to be the next Roddick or Federer. Every day, my name was in the papers when I was playing the juniors, and then suddenly, it wasn't there anymore. I started questioning myself, saying, 'Maybe I'm not good enough. Maybe I was lucky.' I lost confidence, and when you lose confidence, you don't know what to do anymore on the court."

"I didn't have expectations," says Gimelstob, who reached a career-high ATP ranking of No. 63 in 1999, three years after turning pro, but has since hovered around the century mark. "I wasn't one of those guys who knew he was going to make it. I knew it was going to be challenging and nothing was going to come easy. It's tough to play at the level of a Top 50 player. There's not a lot of luck involved in playing top pro tennis. There's a little luck, but skill holds your fate."

Skill and mental toughness, according to Fernandez, who says "burnout" is one of the toughest opponents top juniors have to face.

"You can't get discouraged, you have to persevere," she says. "These players are used to holding up trophies at week's end, so the psychic toll of not winning significant matches can weigh heavier on them."

If former No. 1 juniors can find a silver lining in their trials and struggles of making it on the pro tour, Muller says it comes from acquiring a deeper knowledge of the game and the right attitude.

"My early years on the pro tour were tough," says Muller, who is now 23 and a veteran of five years. "But I know now what I have to do. I'm not lazy anymore. In the juniors, I'd walk on the court and my opponent was scared of me. In the pros, they don't care, and I know now that it doesn't matter who I'm playing either. I have to fight to win every point and do everything possible to win a match."

And if a former No. 1 junior makes it into a Masters or Grand Slam event final, one will feel that one is prepared for success.

"I'm very good at playing the big matches," says the 25-year-old Pless, who won the Australian and Italian Open juniors and reached the final of both the Wimbledon and U.S. Open juniors. "If I get on the stadium court for a finals match, I think I can beat pretty much anybody."

tangerine_dream
07-19-2006, 07:17 PM
As expected, Sam lost to Gonzalez :sad:

Querrey learns from loss
By Star staff
July 19, 2006

The result was the same, but Sam Querrey can sense progress.

The Thousand Oaks resident lost to No. 3 seed Fernando Gonzalez of Chile 6-3, 6-4 in the second round of the RCA Championships in Indianapolis on Tuesday.

It was the second consecutive week Querrey has fallen to a high seed in the second round of an ATP event after losing to No. 1 Andy Murray in the Hall of Fame Championships.

But Querrey, an 18-year-old wild card ranked No. 200 in the world, believes he is growing from each setback.

"Every match I am learning what to do and what not to do," he said. "Every match I get better and get more experience."

Playing on center court against Gonzalez, Querrey endured a few serving stumbles, including three double faults in one game.

"I had one bad service game in each set," Querrey said. "Other than that, we were neck and neck the whole time."

As his professional portfolio expands, Querrey expects to soon scale the high seed obstacle.

"One of these days I will get past that next level of guys in the top 50s," he said. "I think once I win one it will build a little confidence."

========

Impressive debut

Fernando Gonzalez made his RCA debut a successful one.

The third-seeded Chilean topped Sam Querrey 6-3, 6-4 in second-round action Tuesday. Gonzalez, who turns 26 on July 29, is 16th in the rankings.

"Last year I was doing better on hard courts, so I felt it was better to come here (this year)," Gonzalez said. "I'll just stay here in the States through the U.S. Open. I think it's a better way."

Querrey said it was a fun experience to play a top-20 player on Stadium Court.

"I hope to be in that situation for years to come," said Querrey, 18. "I was right there. I just had that one sloppy service game in each set."

Querrey said he can see why Gonzalez is ranked so high.

"He has a huge forehand, so he makes you take chances you normally wouldn't want to take," Querrey said.

Sam Querrey serves during his loss to 16th-ranked Fernando Gonzalez. "I hope to be in that situation for years to come," Querrey said of facing a top-20 player. photo source: IndyStar

surfpinky
07-20-2006, 07:13 PM
sam querrey article in tennis magazine :banana:

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/5798/0116lx.gif

tangerine_dream
07-24-2006, 08:04 PM
^^ I saw that! Thanks for the scan, Nat http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/5798/0116lx.gif

I'm glad to see the tennis media finally acknowledging Sam. :yippee: This is from TR.net:

How promising is Querrey?
By Matthew Cronin, TennisReporters.net

The touted young American Sam Querrey was knocked out of Indianapolis by Fernando Gonzalez, but made the media rounds this week courtesy of the USTA. The 18-year-old Southern Californian turned pro in June, and won his pro debut, a USTA Pro Circuit $50,000 men's challenger in Yuba City. He won his second pro title two weeks ago at another USTA challenger in Winnetka, Illinois. That's fine progress for the tall lad, who can serve and volley. As Andre Agassi said, "You can't teach 6-foot-6."

Querrey is scheduled to play Los Angeles, Washington, and the Binghamton and Bronx challengers.

With the over-hyped Donald Young seriously struggling, Querrey is the US' brightest hope. He realizes that after Wimbledon, where the United States flamed, fans are looking for promising players.

"There's no one so far this year that has been contending at any of the majors, who has been in the semifinals, finals," he said. "I definitely think from that standpoint [American tennis] is [down]. But overall, I think it's still pretty strong. There's no true champion out there right now who is like a [Roger] Federer or [Rafael] Nadal, which I think we need.

Querrey – who is coached by Aussie Grant Doyle – was generous when discussing the potential of his generation, mentioning Young (who beat him at the 18s Super Nationals last year), Scoville Jenkins, Phillip Simmons and Kellen Damico. "Seems like there's a group of six or seven boys that are good players," he said. "Hopefully three or four years down the road, they'll be top Americans like Andy [Roddick] and James [Blake] are now."

Only Querrey has had a decent year, so those other four will have to step up in a big way to convince anyone there more than Top-70 players at this point.

Querrey does have what coaches call a "pro-style" game, but few men of his height have made it big. In fact, only Todd Martin and, to a lesser degree, Marc Rosset, have been men 6-feet-6 or over during the past 15 years who have made substantial impacts.

Here's a Young update from Holly Wollard in Aptos at the $75,000 Comerica Challenger: "Go Soeda of Japan relied on consistency to turn back 16-year-old Donald Young, 7-5, 6-1. A month after his 16th birthday, Young received a wildcard into the 2005 U.S. Open, but lost in the first round. Mental toughness continues to be the question mark surrounding Young, who turned pro in 2004. The talented left-handed squandered a 40-love lead with two double faults in the 11th game of the match against Soeda and ended up dropping the first set.”

"I just got down on myself, got negative,” Young said. "That hurts. I missed a couple shots and it got away from me.”

ae wowww
07-24-2006, 10:42 PM
I think that article can be thrown out the window, since it is rare for guys to be 6'6 +!!

tangerine_dream
07-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Sam's Club :banana:

Querrey hopes to be the American dream
Former T.O. star wants to emulate Agassi
BY MATTHEW KREDELL, Staff Writer
Inside SOCAL
Article Launched: 7/26/2006 12:00 AM

One day, Sam Querrey might take the place of Andre Agassi as the heart of American tennis.

On Tuesday, he got a preview of the Agassi treatment.

Fans packed the grandstand at UCLA - many of them shirtless former Thousand Oaks High classmates - to cheer Querrey on to a 7-5, 6-4 first-round victory over Vincent Spadea at the Countrywide Classic.

Querrey estimated that he personally knew about 500 people in the stands. The proclamation drew laughter, but he wasn't kidding. Crowds so one-sided usually are reserved for Agassi, the beloved elder statesman of the sport.

"I don't think there was a seat left in there," Querrey said. "It was packed, so I was really excited."

Maybe a little too excited, at least initially. Querrey lost the first eight points, admitting later that playing in front of a big hometown crowd for the first time since turning professional last month made him nervous.

He recovered nicely, thriving off the supportive fans who roared with each of his powerful serves and fierce forehands.

Querrey came back from a break down to win the first set. The second set was on serve at 5-4 when Querrey got a break point, made a strong service return and watched a Spadea forehand sail long.

The victory shows how far the 18-year-old has come this year. Back in February, Querrey lost to Spadea at San Jose in his first ATP match.

"I think I've improved a lot in the last five months," Querrey said. "I'm winning more and building confidence."

Back then, Querrey was still planning on making USC his next stop. In April, he served as a practice partner for the second round of the Davis Cup in Rancho Mirage. Hitting with the likes of Andy Roddick and James Blake, he began gaining confidence that he could compete with top players.

As his high school graduation approached, he thought more and more about giving the professional tour a try.

He quickly proved he was ready, winning two of his first three tournaments at the minor-league challenger level. He's won first-round matches at all three of his ATP events since turning pro, though he has yet to get past the second round.

"I've got to get a second-round win now," said Querrey, who faces eighth-seeded Dmitry Tursunov of Russia on Thursday. "That's my big goal now, to win two rounds in an ATP event."

He already reached his first goal, getting into the top 200 in the rankings - he entered the week at 191. He's now shooting for the top 100 by the end of the year.

With his 6-foot-6 size, a serve that has reached 140 miles per hour and a big forehand, Querrey is one of the young American players counted on to someday boost the country's sagging reputation in the sport. Someday soon.

"It's fun being part of the new wave of players coming up," Querrey said. "... I like having articles written about me and for people to know who I am. I don't really feel any pressure about it. I enjoy it, all the talk about it."

With Agassi's pending retirement and the group that was supposed to replace him - players like Andy Roddick, Taylor Dent and Mardy Fish - having regressed, American tennis desperately needs a young and exciting face.

At Wimbledon earlier this month, no American made it past the third round.

Querrey isn't ready to change that yet, but he has the raw tools to make it possible.

"He obviously has a lot to work on, but at the same time he's a young player beating and competing at a high level," said Spadea, a 13-year veteran who peaked at No. 18 in the world in 2005.

"...He has a big serve and baseline game. He's got to get faster, and possibly try to come in (to the net) every once in a while."

Querrey, who has admired Agassi since he first picked up a racket at age 4, had the opportunity to practice with the tennis legend two months ago in San Diego for a few days.

"It's sad to see him go, but hopefully he can make a nice run here in the summer and at the U.S. Open," Querrey said. "And maybe, one day, I'll kind of take his spot."

matthew.kredell@dailynews.com

Deboogle!.
07-27-2006, 05:08 AM
Sam Rocks. That is all. :)

(however, the teenyboppers who wrote SAM on their boobs? They didn't rock:o:o:o:o)

uglyamerican
07-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Your name written on someone's breasts is just about the highest honor that can be bestowed on anyone.

SAM! I haven't posted any Sam-love in a couple of weeks.

Looks like the media are ahead of the fans (other than Fee, and a few intense American-watchers). Maybe the media will create a fan base for Sam. I don't think he'll let it go to his head. All you media types had better set realistic expectations.

goboilers40
07-31-2006, 08:41 PM
Sam has a decent draw this week in DC, Moodie in the 1st then Grosjean, that's about as good as you can ask for. Here's to him doing well...

tangerine_dream
08-01-2006, 04:32 AM
LOL. Sam on their boobs, eh? :aplot:

Well, Sam lost to Moodie today but he put up a good fight. Better luck next time, kiddo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/30/AR2006073000811.html

Some Feel Querrey Could Be Answer For U.S. Tennis
By Liz Clarke
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 31, 2006; E01

There were racket throwers and referee abusers, big servers and grind-it-from-the-baseliners, but what the top players had in common during the glory days of U.S. tennis was a knack for getting to the finals of Grand Slam events and wresting the spoils from the world's best.

Americans Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi claimed 37 major titles from 1974 to 2003.

Recent years, however, have seen the search for a successor sputter largely over the promise and disappointment of Andy Roddick, who burst onto the scene by winning the 2003 U.S. Open at 21, then saw his career eclipsed by the brilliance of Switzerland's Roger Federer, who has held the No. 1 ranking since February 2004.

If a nation's dominance in sports goes in cycles, as most observers say, the present gyrations of American tennis will be on stark display at Washington's Legg Mason Tennis Classic, which gets underway today.

The sentimental favorite, no doubt, will be Agassi, 36, the last vestige of the golden era of American tennis. He will be competing in Washington for a 17th and final time before he retires this fall.

Top-seeded James Blake, the event's 2002 champion, is reveling in a career-high No. 5 ranking, having overtaken Roddick as the best American at the moment. Roddick, meanwhile, will be looking to reassert his dominance.

Then there is 18-year-old Sam Querrey, a 6-feet-6 Californian with a whopping serve and forehand who may well prove to be the next great American contender. Among his fans is U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe, who has included Querrey in workouts during the last six months as a practice player for the squad.

"A lot of kids these days know how to hit the ball, but they're not great tennis players," Patrick McEnroe said last week. "Sam understands how to play the game. He understands how to use the court and how to move. Especially for someone his size, speed is not his natural strength, but he makes up for it. He's got a big serve, a very big forehand, a good two-handed backhand. And he's got a good head on his shoulders."

The magnitude of the country's lack of top tennis players was underscored by a dismal showing this year at Wimbledon, where no American reached the quarterfinals for the first time since 1911. While some bemoaned the decline in American talent, others simply saluted the rest of the world for investing in the game and raising its level of play.

Former world No. 1 Jim Courier, who won two French Opens and two Wimbledon titles before retiring in 2000, is among the latter group, interpreting the current American slide as primarily a consequence of other countries catching up.

"The analogy I make is to Tom Friedman's book, 'The World is Flat,' " Courier says, referring to the bestseller about the global economy. "The rest of the world is competing; the barriers have been dropped. A lot of these foreign players who are winning events, Tommy Haas of Germany and Maria Sharapova of Russia, are American tennis players. Their games were nurtured and honed on our soil. We've given away our information to the world, which is very generous, in the same way we've given away fiber-optic cable. The world is playing at a much higher level than before."

Still, no one thinks American tennis should sit idly by.

Against the grim backdrop of the country's washout at Wimbledon, the U.S. Tennis Association in June unveiled plans to open its first live-in tennis academy in conjunction with the Evert Tennis Academy in Boca Raton, Fla., where 20 or so of the country's top 14- to 18-year-olds will live and train year-round. The initiative was spurred in part by Billie Jean King, chairman of the USTA's high performance committee, and has support from such former champions as McEnroe, Connors and Sampras, who are expected to mentor the prospects.

Said Patrick McEnroe: "We can't sit there and say, 'Hey, someone makes better widgets now, so we should forget how good we can make our widgets.' We've got to try to improve, and we've got to try to get better and face the realities. . . . There's obviously no guarantees, but I think there's also the fact that if we don't do something, it's not just going to get better necessarily. We can't just hope that Venus and Serena Williams come out of the parks again in southern California."

The Williams sisters, who have 12 Grand Slam titles between them, were taught to play by their father, outside the traditional USTA development system.

"In our day it was Australia and America competing," said former champion Chris Evert, who founded the Evert Academy with her brother, John. "Nowadays, they're coming out of the woodwork, these players."

Querrey can attest to that. He played on the international junior circuit before turning pro in June and said the competition came from all corners of the globe -- Croatia, the Netherlands, Brazil, Japan, Russia and India, to name a few.

Querrey's young pro career is off to an impressive start. He won his first two challenger events and advanced past the first round of major tour stops in Newport, R.I., Indianapolis and Los Angeles this summer.

"He has a bright future," says Courier, 35, who founded and competes in the Champions Series. "But what all these guys are up against is that everyone keeps reminding them of the prior generation of American tennis, of which Andre is the last man standing. Our fans are spoiled; we had it so good for so long, having Andre and Pete and Michael Chang and Todd Martin and Mal Washington and David Wheaton and me -- this whole group that was in major finals and semifinals every year, it seemed. It's difficult to live up to. That was a group with depth that we hadn't seen before. But we will again."

Jlee
08-01-2006, 04:41 AM
I was watching the livescore for the Moodie match, it was so close! Or so it seemed...I hope he can make a big breakthrough at a tourney soon!

uglyamerican
08-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Sam will play Nadal in the first round in Cincinnati. Will be fun to see a whole match of his on T.V. I expect that this forum will get crowded if Sam does a respectable job.

SHB
08-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Ouch. Tough break for Sam.

Scotso
08-12-2006, 04:34 AM
Sam could beat him :shrug:

Deboogle!.
08-12-2006, 04:47 AM
Sam :sobbing: Just go out with nothing to lose and try your best! :sobbing:

tangerine_dream
08-13-2006, 07:04 PM
I hope the Nadal/Querrey match will be televised :banana:

Grinder
08-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Nothing to lose Sam, great opportunity to test yourself against one of the best in the world! :D

Deboogle!.
08-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Definitely. Moreover, he has the type of game that could potentially trouble Rafa - he *could* hit him off the court. I don't think he's physically or mentally ready to do so, but it is definitely a great opportunity for him :D

uglyamerican
08-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Definitely. Moreover, he has the type of game that could potentially trouble Rafa - he *could* hit him off the court. I don't think he's physically or mentally ready to do so, but it is definitely a great opportunity for him :D

Good analysis Deb. He hit some fine shots. Playing against top opponents should give Sam a better idea of what he needs to work on.

Deboogle!.
08-15-2006, 09:12 PM
:D he acquitted himself so well out there, I'm very proud and he should be of himself. He has a ton of potential, now he just has to keep working, get fitter, work on coming in a lot more, and get his 2nd serve up to the quality of the first.

And now he's all smiles in an interview right after the match. This kid really GETS it.

uglyamerican
08-15-2006, 09:17 PM
And now he's all smiles in an interview right after the match. This kid really GETS it.

I was just going to mention that. Good to see him enjoying his life.

cobalt60
08-15-2006, 09:30 PM
:D he acquitted himself so well out there, I'm very proud and he should be of himself. He has a ton of potential, now he just has to keep working, get fitter, work on coming in a lot more, and get his 2nd serve up to the quality of the first.

:yeah: Attitude is half the battle.

Scotso
08-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Good match from Sam :D

Deboogle!.
08-16-2006, 04:34 PM
this kid is great! :lol:
=====================

August 15, 2006

R. NADAL/S. Querrey

6-7, 6-2, 6-3

SAM QUERREY

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please, for Sam Querrey.

Q. You were hitting the ball pretty well. Is that your regular game?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah. Over the last couple months I've been hitting it like that, so it's usually how I play.

Q. When you're up a set against the No. 2 player in the world, what's going through your head at that point?

SAM QUERREY: I don't know. I mean, I don't know. It doesn't feel like it's right at first 'cause, you know, he's supposed to beat me. Then I won that first set and then kind of started to build a little bit of confidence. Each point of the set, in the first set, each point I won, I just kept building more and more confidence. And, you know, just kept building on that.

Q. Is it almost like you're like shellshocked or something?

SAM QUERREY: Little bit. Little bit. That happened earlier to me ﷓ or earlier this year. I played James Blake in the Pacific Life Open and I won the first set there. That was kind of like the same thing. You're a little bit shocked at what just happened.

Q. Are you happy? Do you find some consolation in the fact that you played so well, or are you bummed out that you lost?

SAM QUERREY: Well, bummed that I lost. But, I mean, I was happy with the way I played. It was fun playing on center court with all the fans out there.

Q. How do you approach what was probably the biggest match of your career? I mean, are you nervous going in? Are you excited?

SAM QUERREY: I thought I was gonna be really nervous, but then I think the first point was key 'cause we had like a 10﷓ or 12﷓shot rally and I ended up winning that. After that, I wasn't nervous at all.

Q. You know people are looking at you as the next great American. Is that too much, or is that something that you like?

SAM QUERREY: No. I mean, I hear that every day and I read about it every day, but I don't even really think about it. I just kind of go out and play and have fun and just kind of the winning comes with that.

Q. If the winning doesn't come in the next year, people are still kind of going on about the top young American, do you think you see pressure building up at that point?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I'll be pretty bummed if I'm not up in the rankings within a year.

Q. Like how far up do you think you should be?

SAM QUERREY: I don't know. Hopefully I'll be like top 50 this time next year.

Q. How much of your game is your serve?

SAM QUERREY: Uhm, I mean, it's a big part of it. Like, you know, if you watch Andy Roddick, his serve definitely helped him win the US Open in 2003 and, you know, climb up the rankings. It's a big part of my game and, you know, it definitely helps.

Q. When you crank it up, do you make a conscious effort to bang it super﷓hard every once in a while?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, if you go up like 40﷓Love in a game, sometimes you want to just step up and hit it as hard as you can just to see what you can get on the radar clock.

Q. What's the hardest you've ever served?

SAM QUERREY: 140.

Q. You've been practicing with Andy Roddick?

SAM QUERREY: I have, yeah. I was down at his house last week for four or five days practicing, and then we flew up here on Saturday.

Q. What do you take away from practicing with some of the American guys?

SAM QUERREY: I mean, it's great practice for the week playing with one of the top players in the world. It's a focus like two or three hours every day. Jimmy Connors was down there.

Just, you know, I can't practice like that in California where I live.

Q. What is it like being a pro? Now you're kind of traveling around the country.

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, it's pretty cool. I mean, all my high school friends, like when they think someone's going pro, they kind of relate that to like Reggie Bush signing a $60 million Reebok contract. Like when we go out, they like expect me to, like, take care of everything. It's not like that (laughing).

But it's pretty cool so far. Especially like I'm getting wildcards in all these big tournaments. These are definitely fun.

Q. Is there a cool way to say, Hey, I'm not picking up the check?

SAM QUERREY: No, I usually end up doing it anyway.

Q. We ask all these questions about being an American. Do American players think in those terms, or do they just think in terms of themselves? Like, you know, how I'm playing rather than, Geez, there should be another ten guys.

SAM QUERREY: Right, it's a little of both. You know, it's a one﷓man sport so you want your -- you know, you're rooting for yourself to do well. At the same time, you want other Americans, or I want other Americans to do well. Just make the game more popular here.

Q. Is there any reason why there aren't more Americans right now in the top 10?

SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I guess other people are better than the Americans - I guess (smiling).

Q. Talking about wildcards in the big events, obviously the big one in a couple of weeks. I'm sure you'll be there. You've made second round at a bunch of ATP events this summer. Tough match today. You said you expect to be in the top 50 next year at this time. What are you expecting short term? US Open, you've got some experience. What are you expecting in New York?

SAM QUERREY: Definitely hoping to go at least two or three rounds, you know. I'll be bummed if I lose first round. There's nothing I can do if I play Federer first round. Maybe I could beat him, I don't know (smiling).
But, yeah, no, it would be fun to go three or four rounds in it, maybe take out Agassi in a five﷓setter, night match.

ataptc
08-17-2006, 05:38 AM
:D

tangerine_dream
08-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Sammy! :bounce: I was so happy to see Pam Shriver get a short interview with him after losing to Nadal. A sweet kid. :D

Matt Cronin had a few thoughts on the early round matches:

Comments: Fish is playing at a Top-50 level, but hasn't yet shown that his Top-20 form has returned. Gonzo should reach the second week of the Open, but when is he going to win a match of great significance at a Slam?. … Spadea is fading fast, even when he's putting his guts into a match. … Blake's results post Wimbledon against elite competition has been pretty mediocre. … The Bag Man is a huge threat at the Open. … Nadal had better post up a title this week or he'll be lacking confidence in N.Y. … I love the way Sam Querrey competed in his three-set loss to Nadal on Tuesday. That's your US player with potential, not Donald Young after he won the 18s Nationals again. :cool:

Scotso
08-17-2006, 11:48 PM
MD WC for Sam into the US Open :yeah:

Deboogle!.
08-17-2006, 11:56 PM
:banana: Depending on his draw I really think he could win a round or two!

SHB
08-18-2006, 02:39 AM
No doubt. Querrey's definitely good enough to make some noise.

SHB
08-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Querrey dismissed Alberto Martin with ease, winning 6-3, 6-2. Next up: Robin Soderling.

Regenbogen
08-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Oh he already won? I didn't know, stupid scoreboard.

Hopefully he can beat Soderling too :D

Grinder
08-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Good win for Sam. :woohoo:

Scotso
08-22-2006, 04:32 AM
another nice win! Soderling will be tough, though.

SHB
08-23-2006, 03:31 AM
Soderling def. Querrey 6-3, 4-6, 6-1. Querrey just can't win two in a row.

Scotso
08-23-2006, 04:04 AM
I think he might need better fitness.

tangerine_dream
08-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Sam featured in the NYTimes. Written by our Karen Crouse, too. ;) :banana:

Apple Falls Far From the Tree as a Player Clears His Own Path
By KAREN CROUSE
August 24, 2006

The fax machine in the kitchen spit out a piece of paper, and Sam Querrey returned it with a flourish, his signature on the pro contract essentially replaying a point in his family history. By forgoing a college scholarship to the University of Southern California for the professional tennis circuit, Querrey, an 18-year-old with a blistering forehand, a booming serve and boy-next-door charm, launched a thousand comparisons to Andy Roddick, who turned professional out of high school and won the United States Open three years later.

At 6 feet 6 inches and 200 pounds, Querrey has people thinking big, particularly after he won two of his first three starts as a pro in Challenger events, the minor leagues of tennis, and cracked the top 200 in the ATP rankings at 179.

Querrey, who has accepted a wild-card entry into the United States Open, said his decision to turn pro had less to do with following Roddick’s path than it did with choosing the road not taken by his father, Mike, a baseball player who was drafted by the Detroit Tigers in the fifth round in 1979 (the 116th pick over all) but passed on the opportunity to play professionally to attend college.

“My dad told me when I was signing my contract, ‘Don’t do what I did,’ ” Querrey said earlier this month at an ATP Tour stop in Washington. “He told me to take the shot while it’s there and do your best. I think he regrets not taking a chance when he had it.”

Mike Querrey, an infielder and cleanup hitter at Arizona, quit baseball in the early 1980’s, married his high school sweetheart, Chris, moved to Northern California and joined the work force in sales. “At the time, he was thinking, ‘I don’t want to go to Shreveport and ride the bus and live in a Motel 6,’ ” Chris Querrey said in a telephone interview. “That lifestyle didn’t appeal to him.”

After a year away from baseball, he tried to rekindle his career. But when tryouts in Arizona during spring training led nowhere, Querrey accepted that his athletic career was over and channeled his energy into becoming a first-rate businessman.

“To succeed at sports or anything, you have to be committed to it 100 percent, and that was not the case for me with baseball,” Mike Querrey, a chief production officer for a mortgage company, said in a telephone interview. “I did not wake up every day and say, ‘Gosh, I want to play baseball.’ That’s not at all who I was.”

Sam Querrey was introduced to tennis at age 7, when his family moved from San Francisco to Santa Rosa, an hour’s drive north, in search of more affordable housing. Though neither parent played tennis, they joined a swim and tennis club, La Cantera, because they thought it would be a fine way to make new friends. Chris enrolled Querrey in junior clinics, private lessons being beyond the family’s budget.

Erin Morales, still the manager of the club, remembers Querrey picking up the game so quickly that he made it to the final of a club tournament that first summer while competing against youngsters who were considerably older. “He was 7 years old playing against 16-year-olds, and he was unruffled by that situation,” Morales said in a telephone interview. “From the beginning, there was a calmness about him. He was very comfortable competing.”

Querrey enjoyed tennis, but he did not commit himself to it until he was 15, after grudgingly discarding baseball, football and basketball like favorite T-shirts that he had outgrown. “I liked them all, but I was best at tennis,” he said.

By taking a route that bypassed tennis academies and did not go through the European junior circuit, Querrey was free to develop his game without feeling pressure to produce results. His parents were fine with his approach, their approval steeped in the belief that the more sports he played, the more friends he was likely to make.

Querrey’s resistance to specializing at an early age cost him a few years of national exposure but preserved his childhood, a tradeoff he considers well worth it. Living his teenage years with his family in Southern California, he graduated with his class this year at Thousand Oaks High School and attended the senior ball. After losing in the first round of singles and doubles at the Legg Mason tournament in Washington, he said he was looking forward to returning to Southern California for two weeks. He wanted to relax at the beach with his school friends.

“I’ve kind of lived more of a normal life,” Querrey said. “I’ve had more fun doing it that way and being a regular kid.”

His plan all along was to attend at least one year of college before turning professional. His parents prepared accordingly, keeping meticulous records of all the expense money Querrey received while playing in pro events during his senior year in high school, lest the N.C.A.A. express concerns about his eligibility.

But the better he played in those events, the harder it became to maintain his amateur status. For much of the spring, Querrey agonized over what to do. “By the time he signed the pro contract, he was so mentally exhausted we didn’t talk about it for a few days,” Chris Querrey said.

Did her husband’s past inform her son’s decision? “Oh, definitely,” she said. “No doubt at all.”

Patrick McEnroe, the United States Davis Cup captain, engaged Querrey as a practice partner during two of the United States’ recent matches. Besides being impressed with Querrey’s court sense, McEnroe said: “I like his attitude. He’s very low-key. He’s very much in touch with who he is.”

Since turning pro, Querrey has not upgraded his surfer’s wardrobe. He has not moved out of the Thousand Oaks home that he shares with his parents and 16-year-old sister, Ellen. He remains appreciative of every opportunity that comes his way, so much so that after his hitting sessions with the Davis Cup team, he sent McEnroe a handmade thank-you note.

But on the court he is not the same. “The moment I turned pro, my whole mentality when I was practicing changed,” Querrey said. “I became more focused. I started working out harder. You kind of realize tennis is your life now.”

When Querrey was pondering turning pro, his coach, Grant Doyle, a former world No. 1 in juniors from Australia, told him he would need at least two weapons to survive. Querrey responded by spending three months working diligently on his serve and forehand. Doyle believes Querrey will eventually be able to serve consistently in the 150-mile-an-hour range (he can hit 130 to 135 now). “He’s kind of like a baby Roddick,” Floyd said.

Earlier this month, as Querrey’s friends began leaving for college, Chris Querrey wondered if her son was having any second thoughts about turning pro. “Are you happy with your decision?” she said to him.

Querrey smiled and said he was. He recognizes his good fortune. “All my friends would change whatever they’re doing to do what I’m doing,” he said.

xpress0h
08-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Sam has a 'player diary' thing on the uso website (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/diaries/2006-08-25/200608251156526847250.html)

Grinder
08-31-2006, 02:18 AM
Sam just routined Kolschreiber (a pretty good player) 6-3 6-4 6-4 to win his first match at a major! Gaudio is next, I think this is a good opportunity for Sam to make the third round.

MisterQ
08-31-2006, 02:26 AM
Great win for Sam! Hope he continues his run. :yeah:

Scotso
08-31-2006, 02:41 AM
Very nice win for Sam.

MurrayFan1
08-31-2006, 04:23 PM
I think this is a good opportunity for Sam to make the third round.

Same here.

ataptc
09-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Go Sam! :)

euroka1
09-01-2006, 06:51 PM
This guy is good and high marks to Andy Roddick for taking him under his wing. Players like Sam are the future of American tennis.

cobalt60
09-01-2006, 07:39 PM
He has a great chance to beat Gaudio but I am happy that he did not win in doubles :lol: ;) Concentrate on the singles!!

MurrayFan1
09-01-2006, 07:56 PM
He's winning 4-1 in the first set V Gaudio. This kid seems fucking fearless.

euroka1
09-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Running out of steam now, apparently. Like Andy M., he needs to develop staying power but I remain impressed. We'll be seeing lots more of him!

SHB
09-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Querrey became flustered after Gaudio raised his level of play in the second set. He made many bad decisions and unforced errors as a result. It's not too bad of a loss, but given Gaudio's history at the U.S. Open, I thought it was a real opportunity for Querrey to do some damage.

Deboogle!.
09-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Sam won the Lubbock TX Challenger today defeating Okun in straights. in the semis, he blasted Delic 0 and 2 :eek:

He starts Tulsa next week with Donald Young in the first round :eek:

Good luck Sam, keep it up!!!!!!

SHB
09-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Querrey won the Lubbock challenger today. He's won the last three challengers he's played in. He plays the Tulsa challenger next week.

This win will move him up from 159 to close to 130. I don't think he'll have much difficulty in reaching the top 100 before the end of the year. There are a lot of challengers left to be played, and Querrey will be among the favorites in every one of of them.

Edit: You beat me to it, Deb.

Deboogle!.
09-24-2006, 11:39 PM
hehe that's ok :p

Yea, he has got a great shot at main draw AO entry.

Go Sam! :D

Chaos Inc.
09-25-2006, 02:04 AM
Congrats Sam.

Good luck next week.

Deboogle!.
09-25-2006, 05:56 AM
Sam's win in Lubbock got him 25 ranking spots, up to 134!! :rocker2: Good runs in a couple more challengers this fall could easily set him up for direct entry to the AO and into the top 100!:D

SHB
09-25-2006, 07:06 PM
Which would also mean that the USTA could use their wild card on another player (Ryan Sweeting, for instance).

Deboogle!.
09-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Righto :yeah:

Deboogle!.
09-27-2006, 01:59 AM
Sam beat Young:banana:!!!!!

TMJordan
09-27-2006, 02:04 AM
Sam beat Young:banana:!!!!!

Thats like him beating Federer or Nadal because Young is definatly one of the greatest tennis players alive.

:yeah: nice win Sam!

Chaos Inc.
09-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Bad loss Sam but that crap happens. Just have to forget about it and move on. Good luck the rest of this fall.

Chaos Inc.
10-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Another bad loss.

A few years ago Levy was a solid player on tour. With all the problems he has had though, he is the kind of guy that Querrey has to hammer. You are putting direct entry into the A.O. in jeopardy with subpar play the last two tournaments.

You are better than this. Get it together, find focus and good luck next week......

Fee
10-12-2006, 03:57 AM
That was not a bad loss for Sam at all. Harel did what any smart player on tour will do against Sam: try to return everything no matter what, pick on his backhand, move him around as much as possible, change the pace. Wisdom and experience beat power and youth in that match. Sam needs to work on becoming a more complete player to keep moving up, but he's smart and young and I believe he will do it.

Chaos Inc.
10-12-2006, 04:55 AM
That was not a bad loss for Sam at all. Harel did what any smart player on tour will do against Sam: try to return everything no matter what, pick on his backhand, move him around as much as possible, change the pace. Wisdom and experience beat power and youth in that match. Sam needs to work on becoming a more complete player to keep moving up, but he's smart and young and I believe he will do it.

Querrey has bigger weapons than Levy. If he imposes his game on Levy on faster surfaces, he beats Levy every time. Levy is not overly talented, he is a player that wins with grit and determination.

I do agree with you that he will learn from his mistakes and improve.

Fee
10-12-2006, 05:31 AM
He imposed his game on Harel (big serve, forehand), but Harel had answers. Sam didn't play badly, he just couldn't make the adjustments he needed to beat a player who was basically outsmarting him. And Harel had the book on Sam before that match, he knew what to expect.

Sam has until the end of November to get into the Aussie, I'm sure he'll play as much as he can, including the Maui Challenger.

Deboogle!.
10-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Congrats Sam!
===========
Querrey Signs With Adidas
By Tennis Week
10/17/2006

Sam Querrey is six months removed from his high school graduation and 37 spots away from the top 100, but he's already earned his stripes — along with an attractive six-figure signing bonus. The 19-year-old Querrey has signed a four-year clothing contract with adidas that will pay him a reported $250,000 annually plus a six-figure signing bonus and performance bonuses.

Querrey joins the recently-retired Andre Agassi, 2004 Olympic silver medallist Mardy Fish and Taylor Dent as American man on the adidas roster. It is the most lucrative clothing and shoe pact since a teenage Andy Roddick signed on with Reebok in 2000, according to a published report in The SportsBusiness Journal written by Daniel Kaplan.

Roddick was the world's top junior and a U.S. Open junior champion who was widely regarded as a future top 10 player when he signed his Reebok deal. Querrey, whose professional potential may not approach Roddick's, benefited from the shifting fortunes of American players.

"Sam was coming out at a good time with Americans not doing well," Colin Smeeton, a consultant to Querrey's Blue Equity agency, told Kaplan. "With his results and the media spotlight, and with Andre Agassi retiring, and James (Blake) and Andy not doing so well, the spotlight was put on him."

Though he has won just six ATP main draw matches this year, the six-foot-six Querrey wielded his crushing serve to take a set off second-ranked Rafael Nadal in Cincinnati. Querrey blasted by Blake, 6-1, in the first set of their opening-round Indian Wells match in March before bowing, 1-6, 6-1, 6-3. Querrey has claimed three Challenger titles this season at Yuba City, Winnetka and Lubbock.

Chaos Inc.
10-19-2006, 06:32 AM
Another tough loss this week, to Odesnik. Really struggling the last month or so. I know this is not the way you want to finish the year. Hopefully you can get it back together.

Good luck in South Korea.

ataptc
10-19-2006, 06:40 AM
congrats! interesting to see how he'll perform as time goes :)

Chaos Inc.
10-19-2006, 12:02 PM
NM

jcempire
10-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Go Sam,

Next year, Top 20

Deboogle!.
12-12-2006, 04:43 AM
Sam got a WC into the AO!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
==============
It's more than a month before the Australian Open, but No. 130 Sam Querrey of Thousand Oaks, Calif., the best young U.S. prospect, will be wild-carded into the main draw under the Melbourne-USTA exchange program. Last year, the USTA gave Aussie Alicia Molik a wild card into New York. There are going to be a few lower-ranked Americans unhappy with the Querrey decision because last year the USTA initiated an eight-man tournament to award the wild card, which was won by Amer Delic of Jacksonville. ...

ataptc
12-12-2006, 08:39 AM
:woohoo:

Jlee
12-16-2006, 05:23 AM
Yay Sam!! :yeah:

tulsatea
01-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Mediabank International---Qualifing
QUERREY, Sam USA vs. [6] DANCEVIC, Frank CAN

Deboogle!.
01-05-2007, 04:41 PM
ooohhhhh... tough draw. But good luck Sam :)

Deboogle!.
01-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Sam lost in 2 :(

jas88
01-07-2007, 05:49 AM
ohhh Yaaay... a Sam Thread!

I've been following Sam for a while and happened to find this thread, which is great b/c now i can actually follow his tennis with others!

he got a WC into AO...can't wait to watch him play some tennis!

Deboogle!.
01-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Welcome jas :)

jas88
01-12-2007, 02:02 AM
The AO draw is released and sam is playing jose acasuso (seeded 27) in the first round. maybe espn will show some of it on tv!

Deboogle!.
01-12-2007, 03:01 AM
argh :sobbing: Good luck Sam :awww:

cobalt60
01-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Tough first round but best to him :yeah:

Deboogle!.
01-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Sam's blogging on the TTC site from Australia :yeah:
http://www.thetennischannel.com/columnists/querrey/

jas88
01-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Sam's blogging on the TTC site from Australia :yeah:
http://www.thetennischannel.com/columnists/querrey/

Thanks for the link Deb!
Seems like Andy has been helping Sam out a lot lately, which is def. a good thing.
Looking forward to what he has to say the next few weeks.

uglyamerican
01-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Sammy has won a set off of Acasuso, and now they're even.

Grinder
01-15-2007, 07:12 AM
Sam BEAT Acasuso 6-7(2) 6-4 6-1 5-3( 6-3? :scratch:)

Best win of Sam's career. :D

SHB
01-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Great win by Querrey. I'm confused by the 5-3 score as well. It doesn't say that he retired.

jas88
01-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Great win by Querrey. I'm confused by the 5-3 score as well. It doesn't say that he retired.

i don't think he retired because i was watching livescore and they went all the way. INCREDIBLE win for Sam though...it was good to see him get through along with all the other americans esp Mardy taking out ljubicic!

cobalt60
01-15-2007, 02:55 PM
What a day for American tennis. Way to go Sam ( such a great name;) )

Deboogle!.
01-15-2007, 03:26 PM
WOW.

Americans went something like 6-0 and had some amazing wins.

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO SAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fee
01-15-2007, 07:13 PM
:yippee:

SHB
01-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Americans were 6-1 to be exact. Qualifier Brian Wilson lost in a fairly close match to Feliciano Lopez. But what a great day overall.

Deboogle!.
01-15-2007, 07:19 PM
ohhh, I forgot about that one thanks. Still, good stuff, Sam being the most impressive of all for me. Hope he can keep it up and win another round or two!

saj88
01-17-2007, 09:13 AM
sam is up a set and a break against serra! but there's a short rain delay...booo! hehe hopefully livescore starts working soon

uglyamerican
01-17-2007, 11:14 AM
S.A.M. wins again! Good show.

Should be close to the top 100, now.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 03:15 PM
AWESOME! :woohoo:

jas88
01-17-2007, 04:59 PM
He's got seventh seeded tommy robredo next, that'll be TOUGH, but all the luck to him!

SHB
01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
I think his run comes to an end against Robredo, but winning two matches, knocking off a seeded player, and earning 75 points is a productive tournament for him. Hope I'm wrong about him losing to Robredo, but that seems like a bad matchup for him.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Hope I'm wrong about him losing to Robredo, but that seems like a bad matchup for him.Really? I think if he had to play a top 10 player, Robredo would be the one he'd want to play. Sam plays similarly to Andy, look at his h2h with Robredo. if Sam serves big and hits his FH big, he could potentially hit Robredo off the court. I don't think he WILL win, but I definitely think it's possible.

SHB
01-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Given the choice of a top 10 player, I suppose Robredo would be the pick. But the speedy players who can get everything back worry me. Perhaps that's because I can't get the Gaudio match out of my head. Querrey won the first set and then melted down against Gaudio when Gaudio seemed to figure him out and started playing higher percentage tennis.

Deboogle!.
01-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Well (I assume) Sam's done a lot of work since that match. Hopefully (I'm sure) he talks to Andy about it to find out how he has had such one-sided success against him. That match was Sam's first slam, etc. so I would hope he wouldn't fall apart like that again. Well we'll see, but I think he's got a fighter's chance:D

Grinder
01-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Great job making the third round Sam. :yeah:

Hopefully Sam can beat Robredo, but he'll have to be at his best. Sam already beat two solid baseliners in Acasuso and Serra, Serra was a good preview of Robredo, the two play almost identically, albeit Robredo being much more solid. Let's go Sam!

Fee
01-18-2007, 03:44 AM
Sam ROOOCCCCKKKKKKSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uglyamerican
01-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Sam just ripped off 5 straight points to win the breaker and even the match.:eek:

cobalt60
01-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Good on Sam for getting this far.

Fee
01-20-2007, 02:25 AM
Yay Sam, for playing 3 rounds. Wonder if he pulled out of Waikoloa?

Grinder
01-24-2007, 01:25 AM
Sam is two withdrawals away from getting into Delray Beach, but Pashanski is also in the event at Viña del Mar and he's in Chile at the moment so he'll most likely be there as will Navarro Pastaro, so I'm almost positive Sam will get in directly to Delray. With a good draw, Sam could make it deep here. :yeah:

Deboogle!.
01-24-2007, 01:58 AM
Sam is two withdrawals away from getting into Delray Beach, but Pashanski is also in the event at Viña del Mar and he's in Chile at the moment so he'll most likely be there as will Navarro Pastaro, so I'm almost positive Sam will get in directly to Delray. With a good draw, Sam could make it deep here. :yeah::banana: And after not too long he will be getting into all these tourneys directly! :rocker2:

tulsatea
01-29-2007, 03:28 AM
Delray Beach

CENTER-Monday-Jan. 29
Matches Start At: 11:00 AM
MDE: Konstantinos ECONOMIDIS (GRE) vs Sam QUERREY (USA)=

Deboogle!.
01-29-2007, 03:39 AM
Good luck Sam :banana:

jas88
01-29-2007, 07:17 AM
GOOD LUCK sam for delray...gosh i really got to get this round robin stuff figured it out!:confused:

Deboogle!.
01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm not even trying..... it makes my heat hurt :scratch: So I'm just gonna ride this year out and hope they drop it :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
01-29-2007, 05:03 PM
:eek: Sam won his first match 6-0 6-2!!!!!!!!!

SHB
01-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Damn! He has a great opportunity to reach the QFs and rack up a nice chunk of points (and change). He's up to #100 in the new rankings, so a good performance here will put him comfortably inside the top 100.

SHB
01-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Querrey got stuck in Haas' group. Assuming that Haas wins both of his matches, it will all come down to Querrey's match against Lu.

Deboogle!.
01-30-2007, 01:59 AM
Maybe Tommy will be tired from the AO :angel: Sam has a shot :)

cobalt60
01-30-2007, 02:43 PM

Deboogle!.
01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Sam beat Lu 7-6(10) 6-4, he almost blew the first set TB, after having led 5-1 and 6-3, he was down a set point at 6-7* but fought back to win it :) So good win :)

Grinder
01-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Nice scrapping from Sam, now time to beat Haas and rack up 40 more points for his ranking. If he beats Haas, he's definitely got a shot at the fineal. 20 aces! :woohoo:

SHB
01-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Dang, I forgot that only the group winner advances. I was thinking that the top two advance.

I don't see him beating Haas, but what a huge win it would be if he does.

saj88
01-31-2007, 12:17 AM
According to this round robin thing, if he does somehow get a win against haas, does that mean he's in the quarterfinal?

SHB
01-31-2007, 02:08 AM
Yes.

almouchie
02-01-2007, 09:29 AM
where can we find his schedule for 2007 season

he is a good prospect, nothing can be expected of him in his first years as pro on tour.
good move, to leave college/forego for ATP

Deboogle!.
02-01-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't think he has a website yet, so I guess we just have to guess? He'll be probably playing all the US tourneys coming up, starting with San Jose, Memphis, Vegas, IW, Miami.... I'm sure he'll get wildcards into everything. Then he ought to be getting into a lot of tourneys directly. I doubt he'll play much on clay but he will get into Roland Garros directly.... so I dunno, we'll have to wait and see I guess :)

SHB
02-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Haas def. Querrey 6-4, 7-5. It's really too bad that he got stuck in Haas' group. He would have had an excellent chance of advancing in any group other than Haas' and Blake's.

He only got 45% of his first serves in. That's not going to cut it against Haas. I've noticed that Querrey's first serve percentage usually isn't very high. He often hovers around the 50% mark. There's a lot of room for improvement there. Also, he doesn't win as many second serve points as you would expect, and sometimes has a lower average speed on his second serve than guys that he blows away when you compare their first serves. He doesn't seem to have the confidence to hit a strong second serve, unlike Roddick for example. If he can improve his accuracy and gain more confidence in his serve, he could take his game to another level.

tulsatea
02-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Sam lost to Haas--4-6,5-7

02-06-2007, 03:00 AM
As of 2/5/07 the ATP Site shows Sam's ranking is #89 which is up 11 positions :)

Deboogle!.
02-06-2007, 03:03 AM
:banana: :banana:

jas88
02-11-2007, 06:18 AM
Sam's got paul goldstein in his first round match at the SAP Open.
if he wins that he could be playing roddick next! i really want to go see that!

ataptc
02-11-2007, 05:46 PM
If he does, the match between Andy and him would be interesting :D

Fee
02-12-2007, 06:02 AM
I saw Sam today, just long enough to say hello. He's so cute and tall and gangly and teenager-y.

jas88
02-13-2007, 01:09 AM
I saw Sam today, just long enough to say hello. He's so cute and tall and gangly and teenager-y.

"tall, gangly, and teenager-y" hehe i like the teenager-y part.
did you see him at the SAP Open? i might go on thursday if sam and andy end up playing each other!

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 02:03 AM
"tall, gangly, and teenager-y" hehe i like the teenager-y part.
did you see him at the SAP Open? i might go on thursday if sam and andy end up playing each other!I'll answer for Fee b/c I'm nice like that :p Fee's working at San Jose all week :)

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 04:11 AM
Sam destroyed Goldie 6-2 6-1 in 50 minutes :eek::eek:

Grinder
02-13-2007, 04:12 AM
:eek:

Watch out Andy!

Jlee
02-13-2007, 04:13 AM

Nice :yeah:

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 04:14 AM

Watch out Andy!

:eek:seriously :unsure:

then again Sam would be a very bad matchup for Goldie, he's short, so Sam's serves probably all flew over Goldie's head, he's easily overpowered, and his own serve isn't that good so even someone like Sam can break him. Not too terribly surprising, but still pretty comprehensive :eek:

tangerine_dream
02-14-2007, 03:08 AM
Sam destroyed Goldie 6-2 6-1 in 50 minutes :eek::eek:
Da-yum.

Look out Andy Sammy's coming for you :boxing:

Poor Sam got stuck being Vinnay Ice's doubles partner :lol:

Grinder
02-15-2007, 04:57 AM
Go Sam! Destroy that JERK andy rodDICK. :devil:

:cool:

tangerine_dream
02-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Sam lost to that JERK Andy but it was a very respectable loss. :cool:

Sam Querrey reacts after losing a point to Andy Roddick in the second round of the SAP Tennis Open in San Jose, Calif., Thursday, Feb. 15, 2007. Roddick won 6-4, 7-6 (3). (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma) February 16, 2007.

second photo from WireImage

Jlee
02-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Nice effort Sam :yeah:

tangerine_dream
02-16-2007, 08:51 PM
The media is finally starting to notice Sam. I don't know whether to :banana: or :unsure:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=2767828
Is Querrey the future of American men's tennis?
Teenager getting an education on tour
By Bonnie DeSimone
Special to ESPN.com
Feb 16, 2007

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Sam Querrey opted for on-the-job training instead of going to college, but socially, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. At 19, he's a popular freshman pledge in the close-knit fraternity of elite U.S. tennis players.

Life is sweet and the class schedule is full right now for the 6-foot-6 Southern Californian with the shock of sun-bleached hair, the amiable grin and the endearingly unfiltered view of life. Querrey is a consensus pick to be -- literally -- the next Big Man On Campus, but that expectation seems to ride lightly on his wide shoulders.

He turned pro last June and climbed the top 100 last month (currently No. 92) after two wins at the Australian Open. He was embraced by players he admires when he tagged along as a practice partner with the Davis Cup team. He's spent quality hitting time with Andy Roddick during weeklong sessions in Texas and Hawaii. Pete Sampras invited him over for a few practice sets. Sampras was having so much fun with Querrey that he continued to play after a bloody nose turned his shirt crimson.
James Blake said of Sam Querrey: "So many kids take it like it's the end of the world if they lose one match, and he's not like that."
Thursday here at the SAP Open, Querrey faced the No. 4 Roddick for the first time that counted in a shootout at the HP Pavilion. Querrey wore white. Roddick wore black. Both wore ball caps with the brims set straight ahead. Tennis Present, meet Near Future.

Their games are similarly anchored in punishing serves and huge forehands, but they're not mirror images. Five years and a fair amount of psychic distance separate the two. Querrey pushed Roddick to a second-set tiebreak before succumbing 6-4, 7-6 (3). Minutes later, in a post-match on-court interview, Querrey agreed that Roddick was his "idol."

Later, Querrey told reporters that was a slight overstatement. "I look up to [Roddick] as a player and I'm thankful for everything he's done for me," he said. "I try to do things the way he does them. I've got to get over the fact that we're friends. Everyone plays their friends on tour.

"I've played five top-10 guys and lost to all of them fairly close. I've just gotta beat one of them, one of these days."

Most people believe he can, and soon. Veteran Paul Goldstein, a Stanford graduate generally biased in favor of going to college, said he has no doubt Querrey was right to walk away from a scholarship to USC.

Querrey told The New York Times last summer that his choice was influenced by his father's experience. Mike Querrey, a talented infielder, was drafted by the Detroit Tigers out of high school but decided to go to the University of Arizona and later regretted not taking a shot at a pro career.

Roddick predicted Querrey will crack the top 30 by year's end.

"Two years ago, I felt like he had an after-school game," Roddick said Thursday. "Now I feel like he's learning all the time. He's willing to listen. He doesn't act like he knows anything yet. He's funny, and he has a big heart."

The lanky, laid-back Querrey sometimes appears to be ambling through his first months as a pro, but that's a bit of an optical illusion.

"Don't mistake that for a lack of fire," said former U.S. Tennis Association developmental coach Eliot Teltscher. "He's actually very driven. I've been around Sam when he's lost, and he's pissed. He just doesn't go wacko. That's not his way."

Querrey's way is to be casual around the edges and competitive at the core. He's moving toward integrating the two, said his coach, Grant Doyle.

"He's getting better at showing the emotion he needs to on the court," said Doyle, who has worked with Querrey for more than three years. "He was a little placid, even last year. But he's turned the corner."

Querrey isn't inclined to apply any coats of varnish to the truth as he sees it. He enjoyed meeting one of Roddick's coaches, Jimmy Connors, but said spending time with Roddick was more of a thrill because "he's more my era."

On the art of constructing points: "Patience for me is different from patience for [Rafael] Nadal or [Lleyton] Hewitt. Patience for me is waiting for the third ball [in a rally] to hit a winner instead of the first."

On whether he feels he belongs at this level yet: "It's not like you don't think you can win, you feel like you're not supposed to beat these guys, like it's going to be bad for the tournament."

However, Querrey didn't show too much deference in his first-round match this year in San Jose, the same city where he made his ATP-level debut in 2006 as an amateur. He dispatched Goldstein 6-2, 6-1 in 50 minutes and showered before his news conference, only to find he'd forgotten to bring warm-up pants to the arena. The extra shorts in his bag weren't fit for public consumption, so he emerged from the locker room with a towel around his waist and asked someone to find Doyle.

A pair of borrowed pants hit Querrey above the ankle, but so what? He was likewise breezy about the mild hazing he got at the Australian Open from James Blake, who noticed a toe peeking through the top of Querrey's shoe before a match and suggested he change. Querrey said the alleged hole was a mere pinprick. No big deal.

Blake isn't second-guessing much about Querrey's approach. The current world No. 6 got a taste of possible things to come last year at Indian Wells. Querrey pasted him 6-1 in the opening set of their second-round match before Blake found his footing.

"So many kids take it like it's the end of the world if they lose one match, and he's not like that," Blake said. "He's happy to be playing and doing his best and not really in awe of anything that's going on, which is going to help him out in the long run. His potential combined with that attitude is going to take him a long way."

Querrey's formative years were atypical for today's top player. He played team sports and didn't settle on tennis until his early teens. He was an accomplished junior player but played sparingly outside the country. He lived at home and graduated from a public high school in Thousand Oaks, Calif.

Teltscher said Querrey's temperament is part and parcel of a low-key, supportive family reminiscent of a fellow Southern Californian, Lindsay Davenport.

"They look after him but they don't hover," Teltscher said. "They've made a lot of good decisions, done all the right things."

The Querreys apparently also taught their son manners. Querrey wrote Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe a rare thank-you note after his time with the team.

"The sky's the limit for Sam," Teltscher said. "I don't know if he can play with the top players day in and day out yet, but on any given day, he can beat anybody. He's a deceptively good mover who's very smart, sees the court tremendously well.

"But the best thing about him is that if he becomes No. 1 in the world, he'll be the same guy he was two years ago."

Fee
02-16-2007, 09:24 PM
I love this article, I really do. I've always had such a good feeling about Sam, he gives off a good positive vibe. I'm glad that his parents are laid back about this whole thing too, not too close like some other players' parents are. I think that no matter how successful he is he will always be that modest guy from Thousand Oaks, and his parents deserve a ton of credit for that.

Thanks for posting this Tangerine. :)

Deboogle!.
02-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Sam drew Karlovic 1st round in Memphis :(

jas88
02-19-2007, 08:10 AM

awww...that's gonna be tough seeing that Karlovich played pretty darn well at the SAP Open. All the luck to him though.

tangerine_dream
02-19-2007, 08:34 PM
eep :tape:

Good luck, Sam :hug:

edit
Sam beat FrankenIvo :eek: :bowdown:

tulsatea
02-20-2007, 01:35 AM
F Lopez (ESP) / S Querrey (USA) d J Kerr (AUS) / D Skoch (CZE) 46 76(6) 10-8 (Match TB)-----Memphis

Deboogle!.
02-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Newcomer meeting expectations

Hard-hitting Querrey, partner advance in doubles at RMKC; No. 5 seed Malisse hurts wrist

By Ron Higgins
Contact
February 20, 2007

Sam Querrey has no problem admitting he's a pretty simple guy.

"I don't over-analyze really anything," Querrey said.

You can see it in the way Querrey, 19, in his first full season on the ATP Tour, plays tennis. Hit a shot at him and he'll return it harder.

And harder. And harder. And harder. He just keeps ripping shots until somebody wins a point.

His 130 to 135 miles-per-hour serve and big forehand are reasons why there are whispers that the 6-6, 200-pound Querrey of Thousand Oaks, Calif., will steadily evolve the next few years into the next great American tennis player capable of winning Grand Slam events.

The buzz has already got to Memphis and the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships. The stands on Court 1 at The Racquet Club were full on Monday when Querrey and his doubles partner, Feliciano Lopez of Spain, rallied for a 4-6, 7-6 (6), 10-8 victory over Australia's Jordan Kerr and David Skoch of the Czech Republic.

Querrey, ranked No. 92 in the world in singles, isn't scheduled to play his opening singles match against Croatia's Ivo Karlovic until Wednesday. By then, a few of the top seeds may be gone, since one of them, fifth-seeded Xavier Malisse of Belgium, withdrew on Monday after injuring his wrist in a first-round match that he was leading over Teimuraz Gabashvili of Russia.

Also on Monday in men's action, sixth-seeded Jurgen Melzer of Austria beat Jesse Whitten of Naples, Fla., 1-6, 6-3, 7-6 (3). Late Monday night, No. 8 seed Robby Ginepri of of Kennesaw, Ga., was set to open against Evgeny Korolev of Russia.

It took about 1 1/2 sets for Querrey to mentally get into Monday's doubles match. But when he did, he started peppering Kerr and Skoch with forehand after forehand, finally getting them to often hit lobs in self-defense that the 6-6 Querrey rocketed or that Lopez sliced crosscourt for winners.

The harder Querrey pounded the ball, the more the crowd realized that some of Querrey's growing hype might be true. The fact he has been able to fly under the radar, for the most part, has been a blessing while he develops his game.

"It's nice to have people recognize me and know who I am," Querrey said. "That's a good feeling. But there's not much pressure on me. I get wild cards to get into tournaments, people expect you to lose in the first round, and I just go out and do my best."

Though Querrey seems to be on a fast track to success, he didn't have the "tennis is my whole life" upbringing of so many phenoms.

True, he started playing tennis when he was 7 years old, after his family moved from San Francisco to Santa Rosa. Querrey's parents joined a swim and tennis club because they thought it would be a good way to make new friends.

Querrey began taking tennis lessons, and it became apparent he was a natural. But his parents, particularly his father Mike, a former infielder for the University of Arizona, never pushed him to stick with one sport.

"I played a lot of different sports when I was a kid," Querrey said. "I didn't stop playing basketball until after my freshman year in high school."

At that point, Querrey knew tennis was his sport. By the time he exited high school last May, he had a decision to make -- accept a scholarship to Southern Cal or turn pro.

He turned pro, and one reason was his father, who had been drafted out of high school by the Detroit Tigers in the fifth round in 1979, but bypassed his shot at the pros to attend college.

Querrey said he hasn't looked back since making the decision to join the ATP.

"I have no regrets about not going to college," Querrey said. "I'm very happy to be doing what I'm doing. If I was struggling on the tour, and wasn't enjoying myself, it might be different.

"Realistically for me right now, I can play a whole year and never win a tournament. I'm going to lose every week. That's the way it is for most guys. Even top 10 guys win just two or three tournaments a year."

Querrey's week-to-week education last summer served him well entering this season. He opened the year by advancing to the third round of the Australian Open and just last week advanced to the second round at San Jose, where he lost in straight sets to Andy Roddick, ranked No. 4 in the world and top-seeded in the RMKC.

In the off-season, Querrey worked hard to improve his backhand and volleys. But he knows his lethal serve and laser forehand, honed by work with his coach Grant Doyle, are his meal tickets to reach the expectations slowly being heaped on him.

"I don't really think about it (the expectations)," Querrey said. "But I do feel like I let people down when I lose in the first round of tournaments."

Fee
02-21-2007, 04:36 AM
Sam is awesome. :)

ataptc
02-21-2007, 03:39 PM
I wish I could watch a match of his

Deboogle!.
02-21-2007, 08:04 PM
:eek: :eek: Sam beat Big Ivo 6-3 6-2 :eek: :eek: :eek:
I had a feeling Ivo might be tired but whoa.

tulsatea
02-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Sam hit 17 aces to Ivo's 5.

Grinder
02-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Dayum. :eek:

Benneteau or Hyung Taik Lee next, both are good counterpunchers. I'd say Julien is more dangerous because he's a good returner and good mover, Hyung Taik is in a slump but beat Sam in 3 sets in a Korean challenger late last year. Keep up the winning ways Sam!

cobalt60
02-21-2007, 08:28 PM
:eek: :eek: Sam beat Big Ivo 6-3 6-2 :eek: :eek: :eek:
I had a feeling Ivo might be tired but whoa.

Overall I think the better player won :woohoo:

Deboogle!.
02-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Dayum. :eek:

Benneteau or Hyung Taik Lee next, both are good counterpunchers. I'd say Julien is more dangerous because he's a good returner and good mover, Hyung Taik is in a slump but beat Sam in 3 sets in a Korean challenger late last year. Keep up the winning ways Sam!Benneteau it will be. Go Sam!

tennis lover
02-21-2007, 11:07 PM
:wavey: just popping in to say hi! ;) :yippee: good win for Sam! :yeah: and Benneteau is beatable! :)

cobalt60
02-21-2007, 11:50 PM
:wavey: just popping in to say hi! ;) :yippee: good win for Sam! :yeah: and Benneteau is beatable! :)

Hello back. Hope you are doing well. It should be a good match if both players are playing well. Benneteau seems to run hot and cold during a match but when he is on, watch out. Good luck to Sam!

tennis lover
02-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Hello back. Hope you are doing well. It should be a good match if both players are playing well. Benneteau seems to run hot and cold during a match but when he is on, watch out. Good luck to Sam!
I have a bit of a cold but other than that I am great thanks, you? Do you have coverage of this tournament? I am yet to see Sam play but I am impressed with his results so far. :) I will definitely try to watch him as soon as I get a chance! :p He and Lopez lost in the doubles to Knowle/Melzer 7-6(4) 4-6 10-4. :awww:

cobalt60
02-22-2007, 01:20 AM
No Memphis Men's but I believe we get the women's final. I am hoping Peer is in it. They are showing BA instead for the men.
I am well. Allergic to the cat we are babysitting but that wasn't unexpected :silly:

Fee
02-22-2007, 04:50 AM

Grinder
02-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Sam beat Benneteau 6-3 6-4, Haas is up next. :yeah:
http://i19.tinypic.com/2z6fpue.jpg

tennis lover
02-23-2007, 12:09 AM

Deboogle!.
02-23-2007, 02:06 AM
And people said his 18 aces against Karlovic was just a fluke :lol:

I was following the match at work and when i saw he saved 7 BPs in his first two games alone, it was not looking good :eek:

Fee
02-23-2007, 03:00 AM
I love Sam. :)

tennis lover
02-23-2007, 03:03 AM

I love Sam. :)
Sam's got himself a fan here! :lol:

tangerine_dream
02-23-2007, 03:29 AM
Fee is not only the one and only Gimeltard but she's getting close to being the first Samtard. ;)

Fee
02-23-2007, 03:47 AM
I am. I just think Sam is peachy. :)

tennis lover
02-23-2007, 12:25 PM

tangerine_dream
02-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Fee :haha: your siggy. I've been quoted :yippee: *is proud to be in somene's signature* :D

Fee
02-24-2007, 02:57 AM
Just glad to be the first Sam tard. There will be more...

Grinder
02-26-2007, 03:41 AM
Sam reaches a new career high at #77 in the world, keep moving on up bro!

Deboogle!.
02-26-2007, 04:07 AM
He's also going to be on TTC tomorrow when he plays his MDE match against Alex Bogdanovic in Vegas - first time being the featured night match for Sam (based on him, not his opponent ;))? Certainly not the last anyway :)

SHB
02-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Querrey def. Benneteau 6-2, 7-6(3)

He plays Goldstein tomorrow to reach his second consecutive quarterfinal. He smoked Goldstein in San Jose.

BTW, when does Querrey get his own sub-forum? It's only a matter of time before he passes Ginepri in the rankings.

Deboogle!.
02-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Sam :yeah:

There is a suggestions forum where people ask for subforums. Sam doesn't have his own request thread, but a few of us mentioned it in a thread that the webmaster created several months ago about new player forums. Long story short, adding new player forums is at the bottom of the admins' priority list, but I follow it all pretty closely so I will post here if and when we need support for a forum for Sam :)

Fee
03-01-2007, 03:21 AM
As if anyone wants a picture thread for Sam ;) (He hasn't grown into his looks yet)

Perhaps they can swap out Taylor Dent's since it looks like an official retirement announcement may be coming from him soon.

Grinder
03-01-2007, 03:50 AM
As if anyone wants a picture thread for Sam ;) (He hasn't grown into his looks yet)

Oh please? Who wouldn't want pictures of this

S T U D ? !

http://i18.tinypic.com/2mcf67p.jpg

:lol:

Deboogle!.
03-01-2007, 04:30 AM
SETH HAHAAHAHAHAH :spit:

Fee
03-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Awwww, gangly, teenager-y Sam. He's awesome. :)

tulsatea
03-01-2007, 03:02 PM
From Paul Goldstein's at Las Vegas:

On Thursday, I will play young Sam Querrey. Sam's early success has been incredibly impressive. In less than a year on tour, he has established himself in the top 100 and as one who will have great success on tour many years to come. As gifted a player as he is, he is a better guy. Without exception, every veteran American player is rooting for this kid. We all want to see him do well not only because we believe he is a worthy candidate to carry the torch for American tennis in the years ahead but also because of the way he has ingratiated himself with all of the guys. You can't help but like him.

Just 6 months ago, Sam was facing the difficult decision of whether to go to college at USC or to turn professional and go straight to the tour right out of high school. I played college tennis at Stanford, and I am a huge advocate of college tennis, both for personal and tennis development. However, I felt that Sam was the first player since Andy Roddick who would make the transition from high school straight to the pros as seamless as possible.

I am often asked if it is difficult to be friends with guys that you have to compete against. The most valuable lesson I learned from my legendary coach at Stanford, Dick Gould, was the proper spirit of competition. You compete your butt off when you step onto the court doing everything within your power, and within the rules, to figure out a way to win a match. But you do so with integrity and class and in such a way that you and your opponent can share a meal, or a beer, after the match is over. I know that has been my approach and I feel that many guys on tour practice that philosophy.

So whatever the outcome of my match with Sam, I guarantee one thing; we'll both be rooting for the other guy in the following match.

Deboogle!.
03-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Wow, that is some incredibly high praise from a top class guy like Paul.

tulsatea
03-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Sam beat Goldstein 6-4, 1-6, 6-4

Deboogle!.
03-02-2007, 02:18 AM
:banana: :banana:

Grinder
03-02-2007, 02:20 AM
Sam is 10-4 in ATP this year and should move to around 65 in the world next week. :woohoo:

tennis lover
03-02-2007, 12:36 PM
I really want to see Sam play! :sobbing: I have a feeling I might have to wait until the grass court season though. :( Unless I can find a livestream showing him at a reasonable time for me before then! :rolleyes:

tulsatea
03-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Sam lost 4-6, 4-6 to Korolev. He converted 1 out of 11 break points.

SHB
03-02-2007, 09:56 PM
And he only served at 45% and had 5 DFs. His serving is erratic, unfortunately.

tulsatea
03-02-2007, 10:08 PM
A lot of stuff went on behind the scenes. From Korolev's web site.

Zhenya is out of the tournament !!

Mr. De Villiers, President of the ATP, contacted the Direction of the tournament immediatly after J.BLAKE's win and ordered them to make the American playing next round !

ATP' CEO firstly said his decision was "based on what the result would have been if it had gone 'till the end".

Then he detailed his thoughts and stated : "James Blake will be awarded the group win on the basis that the rules were not sufficiently explained. James was within just a few games of winning this match comfortably to advance. Juan Martin has stated that he would have completed the match had he been fully aware of the implications of his retirement."

I usually try to moderate myself on writing my own opinions about ATP changes issues, but right now I can't stay quiet.

This decision is outrageous, disgusting and totally unfair. If Mr President can make a call and change rules in the middle of a tournament everytime he wants just to adjust the results and the draw in the purpose of selling more tickets and making tv channels happy preserving Big Names from an early elimination, this is basically the end of Tennis.

Same configuration happened last week in Buenos Aires with JC.FERRERO and they applied the retirement rule (wich states that in the case of a retirement if the two other players have 1 win each then it's the winner of their head to head in the group who advances to the next round), and the former world #1 was out.

J.BLAKE is one of the players who said they were in favor of the RR system, and now it's working against him he claims he wasn't aware of all the rules it implies, we can't blame him for the intervention of Mr De Villiers, but it seems to me a little easy to put that on the rules back when they all assured those rules were great and well settled !

It's clearly a matter of who's who here... and that's shameful for our beautiful sport !

tennis lover
03-03-2007, 01:53 AM
good on Sam for making his views known! :yeah: shame about the loss though. :(

Deboogle!.
03-03-2007, 02:11 AM
Sam :(

Grinder
03-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Sam reaches another career high ranking at 67 in the world. :woohoo:

In comparison to the other talented youngsters, he's two spots below del Potro (65), four spots above Korolev (71), thirty spots above Gulbis (97) and miles ahead of Haase and Cilic.

Deboogle!.
03-06-2007, 02:34 AM
:rocker2: :rocker2:

Grinder
03-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Sam has an easy IW first round against bagel boy Christophe Rochus but Davydenko in the second. :scared:

ataptc
03-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Give it your best shot Sam! When can I ever watch him play? :(

Deboogle!.
03-08-2007, 04:45 PM
EVERYONE!! GO VOTE YES!!!
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=97398

ataptc
03-09-2007, 02:01 PM
I wonder who are the 2 that have voted no so far? :(

edit: okay I realised it's a public poll, and why would people vote no? :(

tennis lover
03-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Sam beat Christophe Rochus 6-2 6-4! :banana: next up is Davydenko. :)

Grinder
03-11-2007, 04:59 AM
Take out PMK next Sam. :woohoo:

tennis lover
03-12-2007, 03:58 AM
apparently today is the day of the upset. Let's hope Sam can continue the trend! :dance:

tennis lover
03-12-2007, 04:15 AM
first set 6-2! :banana:

tulsatea
03-12-2007, 04:15 AM
He has won the first set off Davadenkyo.

Chaos Inc.
03-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Too bad Sam.

Two points away from a huge win in the tie-break up 5-2 in the 2nd set against Davydenko and could not finish the match off. It is a very difficult skill to acquire,finishing matches against highly ranked players. Just have to learn from the mistakes you made and do a better job next time.

Good luck in Miami..........

Deboogle!.
03-12-2007, 07:35 AM
dammit, he has got to figure out how to close these matches out :(

tangerine_dream
03-12-2007, 08:08 PM
At least he got a set off a top ten player. :banana: He choked badly but he's still young, he will learn how to get through these matches.

Sam's fanboys were out to cheer him on :)

Photo caption: Fans of Sam Querrey have the letters of his last name painted on their chests, stand during a break in Querrey's game against Christophe Rochus at the Pacific Life Open March 10, 2007.

tennis lover
03-13-2007, 01:47 AM
:awww:

Deboogle!.
03-13-2007, 01:56 AM
At least he got a set off a top ten player. :banana: He choked badly but he's still young, he will learn how to get through these matches.It's not like it was the first time, he took sets off James and Rafa last year - much better players IMO. It sounds like he choked badly, that's something he has to try to do something about. I agree that he's young but it's getting to be a year that he's been on tour, it's time to work out how to put away matches when you're in a winning position.

tulsatea
03-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Davydenko didn't get to be 4 in the world by quietly going away after losing the first set.

tulsatea
03-13-2007, 06:50 PM
FROM THE SAP OPEN IN SAN JOSE – Four days ago, Sam Querrey had the morbid pleasure of playing practice sets against the great Pete Sampras. According to the 18-year-old American, it was downright bizarre.

"He had a bloody nose for about an hour and half and he kept playing," said Querrey, who knocked off Paul Goldstein 6-2, 6-1 in the first round. "His shirt was bright red. He still just bombs his serve though. Steps up to the line, don't bounce the ball, does that motion of his and boom. He's like me, he doesn't like to play long points. He's not going to play 30-ball rallies. On the third ball, he usually goes for it."

The goofy Querrey won that practice match 6-4, 7-6 and said, "It wasn't that cool. Okay yeah, and it was really cool."

Querrey has already met and hit with plenty of luminaries. He's a regular practice partner for Andy Roddick. He's spoken with Jimmy Connors. He's hit with James Blake. But it's Roddick whom he most looks up to.

"I didn't even know that Connors held the record for consecutive weeks at No. 1," Querrey said. "For me, knowing Andy and beating Andy in a practice match is bigger. He's more my generation."

The two may play on Thursday in the second round, their first meetings as pros. The No. 89 ranked Querrey knows Roddick's game well, but says that he's still unsure of whether he belongs on the court with the elite yet. This year, he's beaten Jose Acasuso, but lost to Tommy Robredo and Tommy Haas.

"It's like go out there and I feel like I'm supposed to lose," he said. "Maybe if I win I'll disappoint the tournament or something."

At 6-foot-6, Querrey bombs his first serve well into the 130s. He also bombs his forehand and likes it when he can bomb his two-handed backhand.

"I like to go out and hit the ball as hard as a I can," he said. "When I play patient, it's not like Hewitt and Nadal - it's more like I wait until the third and fourth ball to hit a winner."

Querrey is kidding, but he's not. He's game based on power, even though in the second to last point of the match, he threw up a gorgeous scoop shot, caressed a drop shot and then smoothed an effective topspin lob. "That was just to please the crowd," he said with a smile.

It's assumed that a guy of Querrey' height would be a serve and volleyer or at least be making a strident attempt to become one, but he's a power baseliner. As Goldstein said, that's pretty common these days amongst the top guys, with Mario Ancic being the only top 10 player who consistently serve and volley. Querrey says that the majority of his practice is spent at net, but he's not ready to make himself look silly in a match yet.

He doesn't need to hug the cords, yet.

"It's all about court coverage these days," Goldstein says. "You can't find a guy in the top 100 who can't cover the court. That's an essential part of the modern game."

Goldstein loves the explosiveness of Querrey's ground strokes and says that he moves very well, even if he looks awkward and gangly.

"He has a loose wrist," Goldstein said. "He snaps at the ball. Maybe going to the net more would supplement his game, but it's not mandatory to be a Top-10 player anymore. He's a very exciting prospect."

© TennisReporters.net 2007

Deboogle!.
03-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Davydenko didn't get to be 4 in the world by quietly going away after losing the first set.No one said he should've quietly gone away. But Sam was just a couple points away from winning the TB and he didn't get it done. He won't get to be 4 in the world if he doesn't figure out how to close out some of these matches :awww: