How long have YOU played? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How long have YOU played?

anserq
04-28-2006, 03:50 AM
How long have you played tennis? At what level? ( High school, college, other )
The poll is just to see how long you've played, other stats which go with experience are welcome.

Kristen
04-28-2006, 04:02 AM
For me, it would be in terms of days, or hours even.
I despise (playing) this sport :tape:

anserq
04-28-2006, 04:12 AM
in terms of days or hours even?? meaning? lol
Did you pick 10 years+? thats a long time! :eek:
For me, it would be in terms of days, or hours even.
I despise (playing) this sport :tape:

AgassiDomination
04-28-2006, 04:14 AM
I played mostly in highschool, I picked up my dusty racket in January and now I got my groove thang back. ;)

Clara Bow
04-28-2006, 04:18 AM
I've played off and on since I was 11 (so that would be 15+ years - I accidentaly put in 10+...guess I forgot how old I am). I played on my high school team and since college have gone in spurts where I don't play that much at all versus other times where I have gone out and played a lot with other people. I have never played any league tennis- I prefer it just as a way to exercise with friends and/or my husband. I could see myself playing league tennis later in my life, but just not now.

~EMiLiTA~
04-28-2006, 04:45 AM
i played for 10 years, starting at the age of 7 but stopped about 4 years ago cos i didn't have a lot of time. i'd like to start up again though...none of my friends play so it's a bit hard :(

megadeth
04-28-2006, 05:02 AM
i've played for about 14 yrs now. but it's always hard to find a friend to play with. i usually play with folks i don't know in a club.

the perils of loving a sport that's not as popular as soccer and basketball... sigh...

Jelena
04-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Not one second ;) I even never had a racket in my hand

Howard
04-28-2006, 11:25 AM
I’ve been playing steadily for 25 years with occasional breaks to deal with the minor encumbrances of life such as eating, sleeping, earning a living and raising a family.

Peoples
04-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Not one second ;) I even never had a racket in my hand
Thanks for the good explanation to why you have "vamos Mariano" in your signature. :wavey:

kataanna
04-28-2006, 12:00 PM
I chose 1year+ but very irregularly. In my small town not many ppl are interested in tennis not to mention playing it ;) I really regret not having played earlier but I hope to make up for it :)

Jelena
04-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the good explanation to why you have "vamos Mariano" in your signature. :wavey:
??? Am I stupid? I don't understand that comment :confused:

Nathaliia
04-28-2006, 12:44 PM
I have tried to play, actually. My wrist is a mess from volleyball so it was a terrible pain with every tennis hit. I still tried for few weeks when I was 14 and then some time when I was 16, against the wall because I didn't have anyone to practise with, it's so unpopular sport here (once I played in a court but without serving :o)

I think this holiday I'll try again as my wrist has been calm last months, and I might go to the courts with my father :bounce:

The Pro
04-28-2006, 12:49 PM
People stick with tennis if they can get past the early hurdles of

-serving properly
-deciding on their back-handedness
-running around after balls (buy more!)
-getting a decent raquet, not the sport centre's

After that it draws you back, cos you get steadily better at it as time goes on. Like life....

anserq
04-28-2006, 01:12 PM
SO many people with 15 years or more of experience? very nice to seee this hehe, atleast i know im not talking to unexperienced people here at MTF :D

Angle Queen
04-28-2006, 01:17 PM
I played in high school...um, 20+ years ago, then gave it up temporarily for racquetball. Picked it back up 4 years ago and have been at it ever since. Peaked last Spring...playing 5 days a week (with lessons, team practices and USTA league matches). Would love to be at that level now...but certain things have conspired to keep me off the courts at the moment. Maybe this fall...*sigh*.

tennisace
04-28-2006, 01:29 PM
I've played seriously for over 15 years. Tried to play when I was a kid, but that was in the era of wood racquets, and being very petite I didn't have the strenght to hit the ball over the net with a woodie. Then it wasn't until I was well out of college and married that I took it up again. Play in two contracts a week-strictly dubs now (total 3 hours) and sub in a few contracts too. I'm a 3.5 and not going to get any better. Just too old to have any desire to improve.

LaTenista
04-28-2006, 02:23 PM
I started playing in June 2004. I just take lessons with a USPTA instructor and she's organized a doubles round robin that I've participated in since last spring.

alfonsojose
04-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Five years, i was 24 when i picked one raquect for the fisrt time.

I started to train two years later.

BlueSwan
04-28-2006, 02:31 PM
I started playing 15-20 years ago. I absolutely love this game, but the last 5 years or so I've been injury plagued like my name was Marcelo, so I've more or less given up ever getting really good at this.

Aleksa's Laydee
04-28-2006, 04:58 PM
I started when i was 4, so it would be 15 years but i put 10 as its not quite 15 yet lol! just got back from playing it today, love it :hearts:

Silawen
04-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Ehm, slightly embaressed to admit this, but...I hardly ever play. I have a serious case of asthma, plus I have hayfever, so any kind of serious tennis would do me in. XD Frankly, unless I can do it fully I'd rather not do it. I'm too competitive.

uglyamerican
04-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Just under 15 years, but never competitively.

I have always been completely uncoordinated at every sport and activity. I even injure myself walking around the house. Somehow I play tennis reasonably well, though. So I had to keep up my skill in the one activity I could do right.

savesthedizzle
04-28-2006, 09:45 PM
I have played for just two semesters. :lol: I always liked watching the sport but growing up and in high school I was involved in too many other activities to really start up. So now in college I have some phys. ed. credits to spare my senior year and I took tennis in the fall semester and in the spring semster. So it hasn't even been one year yet :) I really enjoy it though so I hope to keep doing it after graduation. :)

stebs
04-28-2006, 09:49 PM
25 years maybe???

I started when I was 8ish so it's been a while. I still suck though :)

almouchie
04-28-2006, 10:17 PM
I used to play as a kid in middle school,
but at high school & uni I concentrated more on Backsteball
since my injuries
I am back playing more tennis,
quite enjoying it
thou my double handed backhand is all over the place
I am a lefty btw

goodwoman
04-28-2006, 10:43 PM
I started when I was kid and love it. I was playing pretty regularly until I fractured both ankles, and I haven't played much since. I'm really not a klutz -- HA--I've never fractured anything before or since!! :) I want to get back to playing more this summer.

anserq
04-28-2006, 11:48 PM
lol, msot of you have experienced injuries in some way or another, interesting :) Hopefully i don't injure myself anytime soon.

Breakaway
04-29-2006, 12:06 AM
I have been playing for 8 years, and I have competed for about 5. :)

Jennay
04-29-2006, 12:15 AM
5+ (7)

bad gambler
04-29-2006, 03:30 AM
16 years, yet it isn't even my favourite sport :lol:

El Legenda
04-29-2006, 03:35 AM
5+ more like 7years during Spring/Fall play about 4 times a week for about hour 1/2 or 2, i do it because i like playing :lol: during summer its soccer/baseball and winter basketball :)

NATAS81
04-29-2006, 03:37 AM
Just work on the serve and crap.

anserq
04-29-2006, 03:41 AM
You have 33,000 posts on here? and this is not even your favourite sport???

Clara Bow
04-29-2006, 06:48 AM

What is your favorite sport?

anserq
04-29-2006, 02:15 PM
Just work on the serve and crap.
Tennis is your favorite sport right? :rolleyes: lol Well, mine isn't either, i would love to play CRICKET as much as i can.. because that's the sport i started to play when i was 2? 3? But when i moved here to the U.S. i played soccer and then tennis i started playing a year ago :)
Out of soccer and tennis, i prefer tennis :angel:

Tracy89
04-29-2006, 02:33 PM
I started when I was 8, but I'm still an amateur :o

anserq
04-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Wow?!? You should have been pro by now.. lol. If i may ask, how old are you now? :D
I started when I was 8, but I'm still an amateur :o

superandy88
04-29-2006, 10:26 PM
I started when I was 10, but I play just 1 time a week, so I'm still bad!

anserq
04-30-2006, 12:34 AM
I cannot believe it, if i started at the age of 10 dude... i'd be so good... :P I'm not trying to eb Xristos or anything but yeah :-( It's true.
I started when I was 10, but I play just 1 time a week, so I'm still bad!

alelysafina
04-30-2006, 06:21 AM
I've been playing for 3 years, mostly high school level and now that Im in uni, its hard to find someone to play with :(

Primal
04-30-2006, 07:12 AM
5+
I've started at the age of 6 but after one year, had a surgery, and had to give it up for a while. At the age of 10 came back, been playing till 15-16.
And now, (after ten years) trying to start again:)

Kristen
04-30-2006, 11:31 AM
in terms of days or hours even?? meaning? lol
Did you pick 10 years+? thats a long time! :eek:
Meaning I've played tennis maybe 2 or 3 times in my life. I hate it with a passion, but I enjoy watching other people do it properly. Problem is, I turn into a combination of Sanguinetti/Labadze/Koellerer/17y.o. Hewitt when I play. It's really not nice :)

breakingthehabit
04-30-2006, 11:36 AM
i chose 1+, but it's actually less than that. Still working on serve and returning (ppl said i have good stands and style. but that's just nothing if i can't even hit the ball hard enough), slicing. like some ppl here, it's so hard to get a practice partner. haven't been playing for 3 mths now and i miss it so bad.

Primal
04-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Problem is, I turn into a combination of Sanguinetti/Labadze/Koellerer/17y.o. Hewitt when I play. It's really not nice :)
Pardon, what does that mean?:P

anserq
04-30-2006, 03:37 PM
lol.. You can easily improve, you know? The thing is, once you start hitting some shots like pros do, it really makes you feel special. =) And also the serve, you can always practice that on yoru own time... and its fun hitting serves down the T :p
Meaning I've played tennis maybe 2 or 3 times in my life. I hate it with a passion, but I enjoy watching other people do it properly. Problem is, I turn into a combination of Sanguinetti/Labadze/Koellerer/17y.o. Hewitt when I play. It's really not nice :)

anserq
04-30-2006, 03:39 PM
I really believed that Universities had better sports programs than high schools.. no matter which sport. :(
I've been playing for 3 years, mostly high school level and now that Im in uni, its hard to find someone to play with :(

anserq
04-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Oh nice :) I don't understand why people quit! no matter what... I wouldn't!
5+
I've started at the age of 6 but after one year, had a surgery, and had to give it up for a while. At the age of 10 came back, been playing till 15-16.
And now, (after ten years) trying to start again:)

jes_021
04-30-2006, 05:19 PM
I've been playing since I was 10, so that makes it 12+, in which I competed for 6 years, although in the last 3 years I've been too busy so I haven't picked up a racket as much as I would have liked.

NyGeL
05-01-2006, 12:56 AM
I played from 13 to 17 years old. Now I'm retired and playing Futsal :)

binkygirl
05-01-2006, 08:32 PM
I played from the ages of 14 to 24 and haven't played really played in five years now due to having a busy career and personal life. I competed in college in NAIA. I was really fried by 24.

dkw
05-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Play tennis is such a broad term...I like to look at it as the ball coming towards me and me chasing it around... a metaphor for life really.

anserq
05-02-2006, 01:47 AM
excuse me? Just cuz you can't play doesn't mean you diss what to play tennis REALLY means.
:devil: ;) :p
Play tennis is such a broad term...I like to look at it as the ball coming towards me and me chasing it around... a metaphor for life really.

dkw
05-02-2006, 04:22 AM
^ Dude I'm just trying to keep a positive outlook... like Yeah!! I do possess the ability to decipher that the court is green and ball is yellow. It's all about small baby steps.

anserq
05-02-2006, 04:54 AM
:bs:
^ Dude I'm just trying to keep a positive outlook... like Yeah!! I do possess the ability to decipher that the court is green and ball is yellow. It's all about small baby steps.

dkw
05-02-2006, 05:02 AM
^ The court is not green, the ball isn't yellow... Sh*t!!! My next lesson I promise, I promise I'll pay closer attention.

Clara Bow
05-02-2006, 05:44 AM
^ The court is not green, the ball isn't yellow... Sh*t!!! My next lesson I promise, I promise I'll pay closer attention.

Hee! You remind me of a fella that I had some lessons with that we became friends with. He was a college baseball player for Duke (shortstop and had a batting average of around .289) and was just like - I know the ball and the court- when can I thwack it? So much fun to have a lesson with. :)

You may be sarcastic in your posts- but the tone of them still reminded me of this great guy and now friend.

dkw
05-02-2006, 05:57 AM
Interesting... my tennis instructor is always trying to tell me hitting my backhand has the same body weight distribution as a baseball player setting up to take a swing. But some how I think it's a little different because I don't think baseball players scream and cover their eyes when the ball is thrown in their direction.

Primal
05-02-2006, 07:33 AM
Oh nice :) I don't understand why people quit! no matter what... I wouldn't!
That time we had a civil war, and let me tell you, it was not easy to stay in
professional tennis :) Only Labadze made it.

enqvistfan
05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
I used to play tennis when I was a teenager, I had to stop when I was 15 because of back problems (I still have) and knee problems. I've played for 5 years but took lessons 3 years only. I only played for my leisure, I have never player in a competition for my club. I have never hold a racket since, but would love, each time I see live tennis. It's still a great sport to watch and to practrice, but not very good for the health unfortunately.

96marrs
05-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Ive played tennis for about a year and its just amazing!ha ha

Primal
05-02-2006, 06:48 PM
It's still a great sport to watch and to practrice, but not very good for the health unfortunately.

If you don't play on the professional level, (I mean not that much) , you'll stay (be) healthy. And even better if you have a chance to play on a clay courts. (It's easier to stay healthy and avoid injury on that surface, it's seems more organic to me).

anserq
05-03-2006, 11:14 PM
i really want to chek out clay courts here in ARizona :D Maybe they have them? Maybe they don't? What do you think/ :)
If you don't play on the professional level, (I mean not that much) , you'll stay (be) healthy. And even better if you have a chance to play on a clay courts. (It's easier to stay healthy and avoid injury on that surface, it's seems more organic to me).

Primal
05-04-2006, 12:34 PM
i really want to chek out clay courts here in ARizona :D Maybe they have them? Maybe they don't? What do you think/ :)

This post was not for you :D
Did you check my previous post?:)

anserq
05-04-2006, 01:44 PM
This post was not for you :D
Did you check my previous post?:)
lol yes, ofcourse hehe, but im just saying... clay courts are better than hard courts? Exercise wise? :cool:

Primal
05-04-2006, 01:54 PM
lol yes, ofcourse hehe, but im just saying... clay courts are better than hard courts? Exercise wise? :cool:

I really think so. As for me there's no question. But from the other hand may be it's just a different approach.

Clay courts are softer, and I dont know how to say...deeper? :)

Anyway you should try it yourself.

BTW I've never played on grass, have you? How does it feel?

Grofica
05-04-2006, 06:46 PM
I play just for fun and almost every week but just at summers time because my father's company posses two open clay courts and I can play for free:):):)

anserq
05-05-2006, 12:15 AM
I really think so. As for me there's no question. But from the other hand may be it's just a different approach.

Clay courts are softer, and I dont know how to say...deeper? :)

Anyway you should try it yourself.

BTW I've never played on grass, have you? How does it feel?

Hehe no way, i have never played on grass courts nor clay courts. THey are both very foreign court types to me, but i do wish to try both surfaces. :D

lordmanji
05-05-2006, 12:46 AM
i started playing junior year of high school to senior year, was on the team first as jv and then singles. i went to college and pretty much stopped except for the very seldom saturday swing. in my last year of college, i took a class and it was very much a process of relearning strokes and footwork while learning new things. that has continued until today, a year and a half later of figuring things out, making a million subtle adjustments and corrections to my technique,i feel like im playing good tennis for the first time.

Pigpen Stinks
05-05-2006, 02:11 AM
Oh, it's been about 40 years for me. I started as a young lad and worked my way onto the pro tour where I spent 10 years and achieved a career high rank of 14. Some of you may be familiar with my son, Xristos. We share many of the same qualities.

anserq
05-05-2006, 02:22 AM
Oh, it's been about 40 years for me. I started as a young lad and worked my way onto the pro tour where I spent 10 years and achieved a career high rank of 14. Some of you may be familiar with my son, Xristos. We share many of the same qualities.

rofl. :yeah:

anserq
05-07-2006, 03:57 AM
I played mostly in highschool, I picked up my dusty racket in January and now I got my groove thang back. ;)

heh that's amazign bro. .. good job :p

warmy
05-07-2006, 04:48 AM
I put 1+ but I haven't played for a full year yet. The second Saturday of Wimbledon will be my first anniversary. :) I only really started watching Tennis last Spring and by the time Wimby rolled around I was hooked and decided to take a private lesson at my local club to see if it was something I could enjoy playing. I don't think I have ever loved something so much, I play at least 6 days a week. I'm not all that good right now (3.5) but I feel like I'm making big improvements month to month and it's not like I'm going to stop playing anytime soon.

It's abit weird to say, but I really feel like Tennis has been life changing for me. I never considered myself to be physically inclined, so I'd always avoided sports. It's hard to describe the difference being active and lighter (50lb) can make on a persons entire lifestyle and outlook.

Federer&Hingis
05-07-2006, 05:06 AM
5 years+

zicofirol
05-07-2006, 05:09 AM
lmao, lmao.
I played for like 2 years when I was akid and started playing again 3 years ago. I play about 3 or 4 days a week.

anserq
05-13-2006, 01:02 AM
lmao, lmao.
I played for like 2 years when I was akid and started playing again 3 years ago. I play about 3 or 4 days a week.

Sorry about this late reply, but that's very good for you! Why didnt yOU GO PRO! ;)

anserq
06-07-2006, 01:12 AM
/me loves bringing old threads alive!

admiralpye
06-07-2006, 05:00 AM
Still a Class C officially.

alelysafina
06-07-2006, 05:35 AM
*cough* we need a players forum *cough*

scarecrows
06-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I work part time as a tennis coach so I kinda play every day

started tennis exactly 10 years ago when i was 14, played a few junior tournaments around Europe and still play national tournaments

revolution
06-11-2006, 10:28 PM
I play sometimes, decent forehand, average backhand- not too bad at the net but I like to play from the baseline. My local tennis courts are outdoor clay courts, but I prefer the indoor surfaces.

Played for about 3 years, as a hobby.

andys_gurl
08-01-2006, 12:58 PM
I started playing when i was aboout 11... i'm now 15.

Hawkman
08-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Played as a child and into high school (mostly recreational), played religiously from 1990 to 1996 (As if it was the gospel with league play, tournaments, etc)

Took a decade off from the sport (started surfing a ton and became a basketball junkie; my other loves) and then fell back into it last year with Agassi's run to the finals.

Now I'm back playing like a fool; becoming a certifed USPTA Coach this fall; for myself, for extra income and most importantly for my 6 year old (Who is way good).

In the past year of playing again, I am a much better player than I ever was. Smarter; more patient, more confident.