JMac wants Slam events for Old Balls [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

JMac wants Slam events for Old Balls

Tennis Fool
04-27-2006, 11:57 PM
McEnroe wants senior events at Grand Slams
April 27, 2006

BOSTON (AP) -- John McEnroe won seven Grand Slam singles titles before retiring in 1992. Now he wants to revisit his old haunts on tennis' seniors tour.

"Hopefully, the combination will be something we see soon," he said Thursday before the Champions Cup tournament in Boston.

A four-time U.S. Open winner and three-time Wimbledon champ, McEnroe wants the Champions Series to schedule events in conjunction with tennis majors. That way, the senior tour would get a ready-made tennis audience and fans would get a chance to see some of their old favorites and watch new stars, too.

Former No. 1 Jim Courier put the seniors tour together, cobbling together five stops for this season. He won the first event, in Naples, Fla., last month.

Also playing in Boston this weekend are McEnroe, Todd Martin, Aaron Krickstein, Mats Wilander, Goran Ivanisevic, Pat Cash and Mikael Pernfors. To be eligible, a player must have been ranked in the top five or reached a Grand Slam final or played singles for a Davis Cup-winning team.

Courier said the older players might have lost some of their footwork, but racket skills stick around for those who continue to practice. But the biggest difference is the schedule; there are only five champions events this year, instead of a weekly schedule.

"This is a way to space it out, manage it so your body can be sustained," Courier said. "The mental grind is something that forces most of us off the circuit."

Updated on Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 7:08 pm EDT

alfonsojose
04-28-2006, 12:00 AM
:yawn:

Jimnik
04-28-2006, 12:34 AM
I think it's a good idea. It would be more watchable than the current over 35 and over 45 doubles events, which take place at the slams. During the 2nd week of slams, there would be something to watch besides the juinior events.

buddyholly
04-28-2006, 12:39 AM
Wimbledon has two singles tournaments one for over 35's and one for over 45's. Just as the main draw is not an ATP tournament, it is not going to happen that the senior draws will be Championship Series events. Mac just wants a cheap way to publicise the senior tour.
I think the other slams are similar.
He already is everywhere at Wimbledon, commentating and playing, I don't know what more he wants.

AgassiDomination
04-28-2006, 12:43 AM
I think it was clear what more he wants...I doubt he'll get it though.

TenHound
04-28-2006, 02:23 AM
Old Narcissists not only don't die, they even refuse to fade away gracefully...

Breakaway
04-28-2006, 02:50 AM
Yeah, I mean I watched one senior tournament on TV and it was just okay. The level is not that great, so all the fans are getting out of it is getting to see "Old Stars" play once again. And I don't think people will pay to watch that over and over again.

anserq
04-28-2006, 03:09 AM
Why won't they? I believe they will.

Nathaliia
04-28-2006, 08:25 AM
I see most of you skeptical :awww:

And that's a chance for Rios to gain a Slam :cool: :bounce:

buddyholly
04-28-2006, 12:37 PM
I see most of you skeptical :awww:

And that's a chance for Rios to gain a Slam :cool: :bounce:

He is back in Costa Rica again, saying he still loves his first wife. After being divorced from his second wife, who ended up in hospital when he brought her to Costa Rica on a previous visit to wife #1, I hope the only slam he gets is the door in his face.

Nathaliia
04-28-2006, 12:47 PM
He is back in Costa Rica again, saying he still loves his first wife. After being divorced from his second wife, who ended up in hospital when he brought her to Costa Rica on a previous visit to wife #1, I hope the only slam he gets is the door in his face.
:lol: :haha:

He has always been the man with the touch though.

hitchhiker
04-28-2006, 12:49 PM
old balls begin to lose hair and stop bouncing. playing a slam with them is to much