Why are Rome and Hamburg scheduled back to back? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why are Rome and Hamburg scheduled back to back?

Purple Rainbow
04-27-2006, 01:49 PM
This is very strange scheduling, even for atp standards.
Currently, the middle part of the clay season is..

17/04 TMS Monte Carlo
24/04 Barcelona
Casablanca
01/05 Estoril
Munchen
08/05 TMS Rome
15/05 TMS Hamburg

How could the atp possibly have Rome and Hamburg on consecutive weeks?
If you want your top players to play at your top events, don't expect them to play 12 matches in 14 days. This could have been so easily prevented by switching Rome with Estoril and Munchen. That way, the clay season still would have been gruesome, but at least top players could opt to play the 3 top events and have a reasonable amount of time to recuperate.

federated
04-27-2006, 02:56 PM
yep, this is just stupid. will be interesting to see the new calendar in '08.

Action Jackson
04-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Why is the sky blue?

alfonsojose
04-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Why is the sky blue?
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/BlueSky/blue_sky.html :angel:

FSRteam
04-27-2006, 04:19 PM

:haha: :yeah: :haha:

Yappa
04-27-2006, 04:26 PM

:bigclap:

Maybe they are thinking that by scheduling both tourneys so close, the chances that HC players will participate are higher. If Hamburg and Rome were 2 weeks apart, maybe less HC players would come to Hamburg (unwilling to stay in Europe or play one of those smaller claycourt tourneys)?

Action Jackson
04-27-2006, 04:27 PM

Gracias, señor.

oz_boz
04-27-2006, 04:30 PM

Why is blue light more scattered than red?

alfonsojose
04-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Gracias, señor.
Siempre a la orden ;)

David Kenzie
04-27-2006, 04:31 PM
They should at least scrap the 5 set final in Rome, or introduce 8 or 16 Byes in Hamburg.

Action Jackson
04-27-2006, 04:33 PM
They should at least scrap the 5 set final in Rome, or introduce 8 or 16 Byes in Hamburg.

What for? There is no reason to do that unless cause of bad weather in Rome.

Only reason they have Byes in the indoor events is cause IMG is the agent for the Bye and they don't have the facilities for 64 player event.

There is a simple way to fix the problem, but the only thing simple about the ATP is the simpletons that run it.

alfonsojose
04-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Why is blue light more scattered than red?
'coz its wavelength is shorter than red's :angel: Red is longer :drool:

oz_boz
04-27-2006, 04:40 PM
'coz its wavelength is shorter than red's :angel: Red is longer :drool:

Why is blue wavelength shorter than red? Because its energy is higher. Why is the energy of blue light higher? etc.

I was just trying to make a point, stupid me. :)

alfonsojose
04-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Why is blue wavelength shorter than red? Because its energy is higher. Why is the energy of blue light higher? etc.

:hug: someday, somehow .. ;)

David Kenzie
04-27-2006, 04:48 PM
What for? There is no reason to do that unless cause of bad weather in Rome.

Only reason they have Byes in the indoor events is cause IMG is the agent for the Bye and they don't have the facilities for 64 player event.

There is a simple way to fix the problem, but the only thing simple about the ATP is the simpletons that run it.
Yes the obvious solution is to swap Rome with Estoril/Munich, but if that is not possible then Byes in Hamburg would at least reduce the chance of a top player withdrawing straight after winning Rome.

The only loser of a swap in the calendar would be the Barcelona tournament which has very strong field every year with the current calendar.

Action Jackson
04-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Yes the obvious solution is to swap Rome with Estoril/Munich, but if that is not possible then Byes in Hamburg would at least reduce the chance of a top player withdrawing straight after winning Rome.

The only loser of a swap in the calendar would be the Barcelona tournament which has very strong field every year with the current calendar.

Since when does ATP go for the obvious solution? Hamburg doesn't get that many withdrawals and Nadal was never going to play it last year and won't if he wins Rome.

alfonsojose
04-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Since when does ATP go for the obvious solution? Hamburg doesn't get that many withdrawals and Nadal was never going to play it last year and won't if he wins Rome.
he wants JesusFed to win something on clay :angel:

David Kenzie
04-27-2006, 05:01 PM
We will see what happens if Nadal wins Rome.
Anyway in 2001 Ferrero did manage to win Rome ...
(8)Juan Carlos Ferrero d. (1)Gustavo Kuerten 3-6 6-1 2-6 6-4 6-2

... and reach the final in Hamburg the following week
(q)Albert Portas d. (8)Juan Carlos Ferrero 4-6 6-2 0-6 7-6(5) 7-5

Fee
04-27-2006, 06:34 PM
All the Masters events except Monte Carlo are scheduled in twos. I agree, it's pretty stupid and it needs to be changed (except for IW/Miami since they are 10 day events).

David Kenzie
04-27-2006, 09:06 PM
All the Masters events except Monte Carlo are scheduled in twos. I agree, it's pretty stupid and it needs to be changed (except for IW/Miami since they are 10 day events).
Madrid and Paris are not back to back ;)

Fee
04-27-2006, 09:15 PM
You're right, they did that one year and its stuck in my head like that. :)

Jairus
04-27-2006, 10:32 PM

We derived this in physics...it has to do with the fact that after you take an integral to get energy, you get a constant/(w^4) where w is the frequency (omega), so blue light has about 1/16 the energy scattered as red light. I'm sorry, I can't quite remember the formula for energy, but its conceptually derived from the fact that scattered energy is a sine of the angle. I think that last bit was just proven experimentally.

Jairus
04-27-2006, 10:46 PM
We derived this in physics...it has to do with the fact that after you take an integral to get energy, you get a constant/(w^4) where w is the frequency (omega), so blue light has about 1/16 the energy scattered as red light. I'm sorry, I can't quite remember the formula for energy, but its conceptually derived from the fact that scattered energy is a sine of the angle. I think that last bit was just proven experimentally.

Heh...I mixed that up. its constant * (w^4) so that blue light has 16 times the energy of red light...so the sky is blue, not red.

Jairus
04-27-2006, 10:47 PM
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/atmos/blusky.html#c2
That equation there under Rayleigh Scattering.