Is Djokovic just another waste of fan's attention? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Djokovic just another waste of fan's attention?

MrGasa
04-27-2006, 10:08 AM
How is Djokovic thinking, here are some ideas:
1. Just give me shovel, I'll beat anyone anyway.
Mr. Wilson came with bag of $, I'm taking the $ and first racquet from the shelves. January, hmm, I've lost three out of first four matches, maybe I cannot play with any shovel, maybe I should find the racquet that suits me.
2. Any tournament will be happy to have me, I'm big as Henman, Baghdatis, Safin...
If I want to play some tournament, I just call and ask for WC. So, I want to play in Marseille, I'm asking for WC, but they gave WC to some French dudes. Damn, it looks like I have to become a star first, and then ask for WC if I'm not domestic player, they don't give WC on credit.
3. I'm too big for challengers.
Challengers are for losers like Hrbaty, Simon, Almagro, Tursunov, Soderling, Fish, Rochus bro's, Nieminen, Baghdatis etc. Hmm, there is a 100k challenger in my home town Belgrade, but why bother to play with bunch of losers, I'll just watch it with my girlfriend.
4. Bring them (Federer, Nadal, Ljubicic, Coria etc.) on
Careful choice of tournaments is for losers, who don't want to play with top guys. Why would I play in Casablanca as a seeded player when I can maybe take a set from Nadal in Barcelona in 3rd round. Too bad I didn't make 3rd round in Barcelona.
5. I have an excuse
I have found three key words: cold, hot, young and I'm making some nice combinations. It was hot, He was hot, It was cold, I have a cold, I'm young, I'm younger, Who is Donald Young?

revolution
04-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Blehhhhhhh.

Guybrush
04-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Is Djokovic just another waste of fan's attention?

Yep, I think he is.

revolution
04-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Yep, I think he is.

edited

Horatio Caine
04-27-2006, 10:31 AM
:scratch:

Grenouille
04-27-2006, 10:37 AM
I like him.

savesthedizzle
04-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Wow. You have a lot of built up hatred for someone who is at this point a pretty insignificant player.

When has Novak used the cold excuse btw.. I haven't heard that one yet. You DID leave out the Easter excuse though :wavey:

If you think he's a waste of your attention, you should probably stop giving him even more attention by joining a tennis message boards and making your one and only post a negative post against him.

I assume you waited weeks and weeks to join these boards because you do actually like some player. There's too much negativity in the world... why don't you do something positive instead and just ignore Djokovic if you hate him so much :)

revolution
04-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Apologies, no problemo bud.

MrGasa
04-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Wow. You have a lot of built up hatred for someone who is at this point a pretty insignificant player.

When has Novak used the cold excuse btw.. I haven't heard that one yet. You DID leave out the Easter excuse though :wavey:

If you think he's a waste of your attention, you should probably stop giving him even more attention by joining a tennis message boards and making your one and only post a negative post against him.

Small step from love to hate...
After big disappointment with Tipsarevic, it seems that Djokovic will follow him. I watched them both since they were 14, and I had a lot of hopes for Djokovic, he looked like future regular top 10, maybe even GS winner, but he is making some strange decisions lately, although maybe his manager or someone else shares the guilt.
About cold, it was at IW, he said he was unfit because recent cold.

savesthedizzle
04-27-2006, 11:56 AM
After big disappointment with Tipsarevic, it seems that Djokovic will follow him. I watched them both since they were 14, and I had a lot of hopes for Djokovic, he looked like future regular top 10, maybe even GS winner, but he is making some strange decisions lately, although maybe his manager or someone else shares the guilt.

He has made several decisions that weren't the best. I do think he should have played in the Belgrade Challenger, for example, but if he had done so, he wouldn't have been able to qualify for the next week's tournament. The challenger had offered the wildcard and he chose not to accept it. But I don't think it's necessarily a waste to follow him. He's still not even 19 years old yet. I wouldn't give up all hope on him just yet. A lot of the decisions he makes to play tournaments are only because Ljubicic is there as well, since they share Ricardo Piatti (this week is different).

Saumon
04-27-2006, 11:57 AM
what was Roger doing when he was 18? :scratch: Give him 4-5 years and we can talk about it again :rolleyes:

savesthedizzle
04-27-2006, 11:59 AM
what was Roger doing when he was 18? :scratch: Give him 4-5 years and we can talk about it again :rolleyes:

Well, I mean... it's highly unlikely that Novak will end up being the next Roger. :lol: But I know what you mean ;) Not everyone is a Nadal or a Hewitt or a Safin with success when they are really young. :)

Billabong
04-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Well, I mean... it's highly unlikely that Novak will end up being the next Roger. :lol: But I know what you mean ;) Not everyone is a Nadal or a Hewitt or a Safin with success when they are really young. :)

yep:)

ezekiel
04-27-2006, 12:25 PM
I agree somewhat that he makes poor decisions in his planing as well as playing style but he is young so he can either learn from or be stubborn and just waste his talent.

MrGasa
04-27-2006, 12:25 PM

Bad results lately are not the main problem, Federer had a similar run of bad results in year 2000:
3/13/00 Indian Wells MS q-First Round Lost to Leander Paes
3/23/00 Miami MS First Round Def. Justin Gimelstob
Second Round Lost to Mariano Zabaleta
4/17/00 Monte Carlo MS First Round Lost to Jiri Novak
4/24/00 Barcelona CS First Round Lost to Sergi Bruguera
5/8/00 Rome MS First Round Lost to Andrei Medvedev
5/15/00 Hamburg MS First Round Lost to Andrei Pavel
The main issue is his way of thinking, there are players who doesn't make blazing career start, but they are improving themselves all the time, like Ljubicic for example. It is not a question of talent, Djokovic has it, question is does he has in his head what is needed to be a champion.

savesthedizzle
04-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Bad results lately are not the main problem, Federer had a similar run of bad results in year 2000:
3/13/00 Indian Wells MS q-First Round Lost to Leander Paes
3/23/00 Miami MS First Round Def. Justin Gimelstob
Second Round Lost to Mariano Zabaleta
4/17/00 Monte Carlo MS First Round Lost to Jiri Novak
4/24/00 Barcelona CS First Round Lost to Sergi Bruguera
5/8/00 Rome MS First Round Lost to Andrei Medvedev
5/15/00 Hamburg MS First Round Lost to Andrei Pavel
The main issue is his way of thinking, there are players who doesn't make blazing career start, but they are improving themselves all the time, like Ljubicic for example. It is not a question of talent, Djokovic has it, question is does he has in his head what is needed to be a champion.

I think what he has in his head lately is much better than its been in the past. The comments that many think were arrogant after his match against Federer, I think were promising. He's challenging himself by playing the big tournaments, and sometimes its worked out and sometimes it doesn't, but its an adjustment he was going to have to make at some point, to play with the "big boys". Earlier this year even when losing to a top player his attitude was more "Thanks for letting me play with you. What an honor and a great experience." and they had won before he even stepped out on the court. He was still a little boy looking at the top players as if they were a completely seperate entity that should be worshipped and admired. Lately he's had a bit more confidence in his game and now he thinks he can compete with them. I think he's beginning to get tired of having great experience and always losing ;) He's starting to believe he belongs in the top 50, top 20 etc. It's easy to talk a big game off the court, but I think he's starting to believe it ON the court.

If you don't believe in yourself, it makes it pretty hard to win. Now that he has a bit more belief in himself and in his own game when it comes to playing the top players, I think he'll be fine. I mean, he has beat some good players this year, and some other great players he has played very close matches with (Ljubicic in Zagreb, etc.)

Novak is GREATLY improving all the time. I see it, anyway.

FSRteam
04-27-2006, 12:36 PM

A few things... such as:

R16 at RG
F: Marseille and Basel
S: Vienna and Copenhagen
Q: London and Halle

And finished 2000 as n°29 ATP...

Makes wonder! :wavey:

savesthedizzle
04-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Luckily not every player needs to be compared to Federer who is in a league of his own ;)

almouchie
04-27-2006, 12:49 PM
he is only 18
he is allowed to make a few mistakes
he still needs to finish his first year as pro on the tour
& then his sophmore b4 being judged this harshly
he did quite well against Federer
isnt too bad a player imo

ezekiel
04-27-2006, 01:00 PM
I think what he has in his head lately is much better than its been in the past. The comments that many think were arrogant after his match against Federer, I think were promising. He's challenging himself by playing the big tournaments, and sometimes its worked out and sometimes it doesn't, but its an adjustment he was going to have to make at some point, to play with the "big boys". Earlier this year even when losing to a top player his attitude was more "Thanks for letting me play with you. What an honor and a great experience." and they had won before he even stepped out on the court. He was still a little boy looking at the top players as if they were a completely seperate entity that should be worshipped and admired. Lately he's had a bit more confidence in his game and now he thinks he can compete with them. I think he's beginning to get tired of having great experience and always losing ;) He's starting to believe he belongs in the top 50, top 20 etc. It's easy to talk a big game off the court, but I think he's starting to believe it ON the court.

If you don't believe in yourself, it makes it pretty hard to win. Now that he has a bit more belief in himself and in his own game when it comes to playing the top players, I think he'll be fine. I mean, he has beat some good players this year, and some other great players he has played very close matches with (Ljubicic in Zagreb, etc.)

I think you are a being little too protective about him which is ok since you are the number 1 fan . He has made some poor scheduling choices and he has disappointed with his results because he really should have done more already.

ezekiel
04-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Luckily not every player needs to be compared to Federer who is in a league of his own ;)

There is nothing wrong with comparing such a young player to Federer , at least from the talent standpoint

MrGasa
04-27-2006, 01:02 PM

Yeah, and there is only one way to get confidence - to play and win, and Novak simply doesn't play enough. Before his rush on Master Series on clay, Gasquet won two challengers in a row. Pashanski is also good example what can you do when you build up your confidence through a lot of matches.
There is no way you can learn on the training how to serve when you are break point down or how to keep concentration during the match.
I hope this run of poor results will push Novak to think about it.

savesthedizzle
04-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Yeah, and there is only one way to get confidence - to play and win, and Novak simply doesn't play enough. Before his rush on Master Series on clay, Gasquet won two challengers in a row. Pashanski is also good example what can you do when you build up your confidence through a lot of matches.
There is no way you can learn on the training how to serve when you are break point down or how to keep concentration during the match.
I hope this run of poor results will push Novak to think about it.

I agree, but he has HAD some success at this level. I agree that he needs more matches, but he is still ranked 66 in the world. His ranking IS rising and he needs to be playing people ranked higher than him in order to improve. Not lower.

savesthedizzle
04-27-2006, 01:28 PM
I think you are a being little too protective about him which is ok since you are the number 1 fan . He has made some poor scheduling choices and he has disappointed with his results because he really should have done more already.

If you have read my other posts in this thread you will see that I wrote that he doesn't have too much control over his scheduling since he mostly is forced to play where Ljubicic plays since they share a coach. I agree that scheduling IS a problem.

If he had his OWN coach, I think that would give him more flexibility in his scheduling. He's at the stage in his career when he needs a coach with him. His coach has another priority in Ljubicic and therefore Novak needs to go where the coach goes. Simple as that.

MrGasa
04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
I agree, but he has HAD some success at this level. I agree that he needs more matches, but he is still ranked 66 in the world. His ranking IS rising and he needs to be playing people ranked higher than him in order to improve. Not lower.

His rankings will not move up next three months. He is defending 100 points in May, and he is playing Rome, Hamburg and RG. There will be few withdrawals from Rome, qualies are going to be much stronger than in MC, Novak could get Almagro, Simon, Karlovic, Pashanski, Martin as he will probably not be in top 6 seeds in qualies, and it is probable that he will not make it to the main tournament. Hamburg will probably see more withdrawals, so qualies will be weaker and Novak will probably go through the qualies, but 2nd or 3rd round will be succes for him. On RG, he will again heavily depend on draw.
In June he is defending 90 points from Wimbledone, again that is maximum he can hope to achieve, as he will probably enter Halle, get first round exit and skip Nottingham or 's-Hertogenbosch.
Real question is what after Wimbledon. He could make some move in rankings if he plays Newport, Amersfoort or similar tournaments, if he skips that sort of tournaments he'll finish season out of top 50.

Saumon
04-27-2006, 03:13 PM
A few things... such as:

R16 at RG
F: Marseille and Basel
S: Vienna and Copenhagen
Q: London and Halle

And finished 2000 as n°29 ATP...

Makes wonder! :wavey:
I was sure a fedfan would answer :angel: thank you! :kiss:

Deboogle!.
04-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Novak must be pretty special if he ALREADY has haters so passionate. :yeah:

Peoples
04-27-2006, 03:35 PM
There's nothing to worry about. I agree with you. It's much more suitable to compare him to Tipsarevic.

Merton
04-27-2006, 03:41 PM
No

Scotso
04-27-2006, 04:26 PM
i'd read this thread but... i need to play with my toes

savesthedizzle
04-27-2006, 06:08 PM
His rankings will not move up next three months. He is defending 100 points in May, and he is playing Rome, Hamburg and RG. There will be few withdrawals from Rome, qualies are going to be much stronger than in MC, Novak could get Almagro, Simon, Karlovic, Pashanski, Martin as he will probably not be in top 6 seeds in qualies, and it is probable that he will not make it to the main tournament. Hamburg will probably see more withdrawals, so qualies will be weaker and Novak will probably go through the qualies, but 2nd or 3rd round will be succes for him. On RG, he will again heavily depend on draw.
In June he is defending 90 points from Wimbledone, again that is maximum he can hope to achieve, as he will probably enter Halle, get first round exit and skip Nottingham or 's-Hertogenbosch.
Real question is what after Wimbledon. He could make some move in rankings if he plays Newport, Amersfoort or similar tournaments, if he skips that sort of tournaments he'll finish season out of top 50.

Thank you Nostradamus. Do you read tea leaves as well? :cool:

Novak won't enter Halle. He will enter Queens most likely because that is where Ljubicic and I will be. :wavey:

Allez
04-27-2006, 06:09 PM
I wish people would stop drawing comparisons between every 18 year old tom, dick and harry to Federer. It isn't fair to these young players. Novak, Andy, Richie, Gael and the rest of the crew will all do well. Future top 10 players without a doubt. However the people who surround them should help them make better decisions instead of treating them like superstars.

Kristen
04-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Novak makes the big tournaments. (Perhaps you have heeard of these things: challengers, futures, satellites?) What more do you want? He might stuff up a fair bit (see other players..e.g. Melzer[excluding Houston]) but what do you want from him? semi-finals all the time? Im in the early stages of being a Novak fan, and the way I see things now is...If my players are healthy and lose a match due to playing like crap, then I really don't mind too much. As long as they know they played like crap and are capable of more, then there's no major problem.

If you need someone who wins frequently, jump on the Federer/Nadal bandwagon.

Allez
04-29-2006, 07:56 AM

Hey will you jump off the bandwagon once Novak starts winning on a frequent basis ? No ? So don't hate on fed/ rafa fans ;)

MrGasa
04-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Novak makes the big tournaments. (Perhaps you have heeard of these things: challengers, futures, satellites?) What more do you want? He might stuff up a fair bit (see other players..e.g. Melzer[excluding Houston]) but what do you want from him? semi-finals all the time? Im in the early stages of being a Novak fan, and the way I see things now is...If my players are healthy and lose a match due to playing like crap, then I really don't mind too much. As long as they know they played like crap and are capable of more, then there's no major problem.

I don't expect from him to win big tournaments or to reach SF or F on every tournament he plays. The fact is that he doesn't play enough, 7 tournaments and 18 matches this year, only Federer, Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Kiefer and Gonzalez in top 100 (if we exclude injured players) entered fewer tournaments this year but they all played far more matches.
As I mentioned earlier, there are things you cann't learn on training, experience from the matches is extremely important. Take Almagro for example, he is hot now, but foundation for this succes is 2003, he played 112 matches that year, had 90 wins, entered 30 tournaments, played everything he could, mainly futures. He would probably achieve much more last year if he didn't had injury problems.
[QUOTE=(Perhaps you have heeard of these things: challengers, futures, satellites?)[/QUOTE]
Few challengers wouldn't kill Novak, Ljubicic had a lot of first round exits on clay last year so he entered 50k challenger (he was no. 14 at that time) to get some wins on clay before RG.

Johnny Groove
03-18-2007, 03:47 AM
I think this warrants a bump :)

*Viva Chile*
03-18-2007, 03:57 AM
LOL at the whole discussion :haha:
Considering how NOW is Nole. How wrong was some people at that moment...

savesthedizzle
03-18-2007, 04:01 AM
His rankings will not move up next three months. ..... if he skips that sort of tournaments he'll finish season out of top 50.

:worship:

Great bump, J ;) Although reading old posts of my own is a little bizarre.

brent-o
03-18-2007, 04:14 AM

So, let me get this straight: you're giving up hope on Djokovic? You do realize he is only 19 right?

TMJordan
03-18-2007, 04:18 AM
Good Thread :bs:

:spit:

FanofFederer
03-18-2007, 04:29 AM
I dislike him very, very much.

Merton
03-18-2007, 04:43 AM
No

Good, that answer to the thread question stood the test of time :lol:

Bandwaggoning comes together with early haters, they are both signs of building awareness about a player. By the way, great posts savestheday91:worship:

jitterbug
03-18-2007, 04:54 AM
I think this warrants a bump :)

:haha: Genius.

DrJules
03-18-2007, 08:04 AM
I think many have considered that he possibly could reach the top 5 and possibly win a grand slam. However, like the other 7 young prospects he will probably become part of the leading support cast to Federer and Nadal. Being part of the top 5 is a major achievement.

Magenta
03-18-2007, 09:57 AM
I dislike him very, very much.

I think this is the post of the thread though, considering the name and all :rolls:

Johnny Groove
03-15-2008, 05:34 PM
This thread is still funny :lol:

some prophetic posts by Jess though :eek:

Clay Death
03-15-2008, 05:50 PM
This thread is still funny :lol:

some prophetic posts by Jess though :eek:

negative. no one nearly as pathetic as you. you are the original troll monkey.

MrGasa
03-15-2008, 06:13 PM
How wrong I was and how happy I am for being so wrong :)

Alex999
03-15-2008, 06:17 PM
How wrong I was and how happy I am for being so wrong :)

It's all good. We tend to judge these young players harshly sometimes.

Kristen
03-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Hey will you jump off the bandwagon once Novak starts winning on a frequent basis ? No ? So don't hate on fed/ rafa fans ;)
*see signature* I doubt he will be a top favourite of mine, though I do like him. I prefer the type of player who is a bit of an underdog, and makes me feel like I have a heart condition.:mad: [<At the players, not the poster!]

Is it just me, or do fans of these guys get so used to people attacking their players, they find a nasty side to the simplest of comments? :p