Rankings out of line with ability... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rankings out of line with ability...

betterthanhenman
04-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Whose ranking least reflects their ability?

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Safin hands down. He's only there b/c of injury and is obviously a top 5 player.

betterthanhenman
04-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Safin hands down. He's only there b/c of injury and is obviously a top 5 player.

Kuerten? Philippoussis? All the others? Lol. :)

(By the way, the suggestion with the poll is that Roddick's ranking is too high.)

Jogy
04-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Safin now.

Of course Kuerten should be top 10 by abilty, but he and others are old.

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Kuerten? Philippoussis? All the others? Lol. :)but those guys are way older and at the end of their careers, so i think it's harder to argue that. If they were healthy they'd be ranked higher, sure, but I think Safin's is more obvious to me. (By the way, the suggestion with the poll is that Roddick's ranking is too high.)no way, I never would have guessed. :o Never seen that argument before or anything :rolleyes: Let's start a poll for a bunch of injured and older really talented guys, a couple young kids who are on the rise who are talented and haven't gotten a real high ranking yet, and one "middle-aged" player who everyone hates and thinks is untalented, so let's have him be the only one who's "over-ranked" Nah, never seen that before :wavey:

betterthanhenman
04-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Labadze is pure talent. Just a rather large-bellied talent...

betterthanhenman
04-26-2006, 10:48 PM
one "middle-aged" player who everyone hates and thinks is untalented, so let's have him be the only one who's "over-ranked" Nah, never seen that before :wavey:

Chill. I don't hate Roddick. Just think his 'slide' such as it is in the rankings, is not over yet.

Natasha2005
04-26-2006, 10:49 PM
LOL That was quite funny... I think Roddick is ranked way too high...He is really a top 20 talent at best but that goes to show how good his serve is and how mentally strong he was ....

Natasha2005
04-26-2006, 10:50 PM
...ok mentally strong may not quite be the right expression...essentially I meant that he got the best out of his game, a game which is one dimensional to put it nicely....he made the best with what he has...

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Chill. I don't hate Roddick. Just think his 'slide' such as it is in the rankings, is not over yet.I didn't say you did. Just that I've seen this before :yawn:

betterthanhenman
04-26-2006, 10:52 PM
...ok mentally strong may not quite be the right expression...essentially I meant that he got the best out of his game, a game which is one dimensional to put it nicely....he made the best with what he has...

Roddick has one of the least complete games, certainly in the world's top 50.

David Kenzie
04-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Whose ranking least reflects their ability?
The only correct answer to this poll is Safin unless you are talking about the players at their prime...

Unless Kuerten proves me wrong, he does not have the ability to climb back up the rankings because of his injury and will probably retire before his back has fully healed. Safin on the other hand should have many more years to do so and his current level is top 10.

betterthanhenman
04-26-2006, 10:56 PM
The only correct answer to this poll is Safin unless you are talking about the players at their prime...

Unless Kuerten proves me wrong, he does not have the ability to climb back up the rankings because of his injury and will probably retire before his back has fully healed. Safin on the other hand should have many more years to do so and his current level is top 10.

Safin is a potential number 1 and is still young. Unlike the others, he is likely to make a big jump back up the rankings.

However, if injuries were not an issue and all had full-fitness, Kuerten would be climbing the rankings quicker than anyone else on that list.

betterthanhenman
04-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Let's not forget Sjeng at 382.

David Kenzie
04-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Safin is a potential number 1 and is still young. Unlike the others, he is likely to make a big jump back up the rankings.

However, if injuries were not an issue and all had full-fitness, Kuerten would be climbing the rankings quicker than anyone else on that list.

Yes but Kuerten IS injured at the moment and sadly might never come back. Safin is now back and healthy (fingers crossed). So if you are talking about the present, Kuerten's ranking reflects his ability.

tangerine_dream
04-26-2006, 11:06 PM
no way, I never would have guessed. :o Never seen that argument before or anything :rolleyes: Let's start a poll for a bunch of injured and older really talented guys, a couple young kids who are on the rise who are talented and haven't gotten a real high ranking yet, and one "middle-aged" player who everyone hates and thinks is untalented, so let's have him be the only one who's "over-ranked" Nah, never seen that before :wavey:
Hey deb, remember this? ;)

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=3245829&postcount=10

That's pretty much what this new poll is all about. But you knew that. :lol:

betterthanhenman
04-26-2006, 11:08 PM

That's pretty much what this new poll is all about. But you knew that. :lol:

Never said Andy sucks. Just asking if he is one of the most talented or able guys on the tour as his rankinbg of 5 might indicate.

Roddick fans should just be too grateful to modern technology (for making Roddick a top 100 player) to worry about my poll.

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 11:09 PM

That's pretty much what this new poll is all about. But you knew that. :lol::haha: :haha: :haha:

Dayum, we're good :p :rolls: *high 5*

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Never said Andy sucks. Just asking if he is one of the most talented or able guys on the tour as his rankinbg of 5 might indicate.

Roddick fans should just be too grateful to modern technology (for making Roddick a top 100 player) to worry about my poll.:yawn: ok, but we have better things to do with our time than to start polls like this where he's the only one with that choice from that perspective, so it's kind of hard to argue you have no ill-will to him and it's kinda hard to argue this isn't an yet another anti-roddick poll in disguise. This is sooooooo tiring :zzz: I'm sooo done with this thread. My lecture on corpoate disclosures is more interesting than this, and that is really saying something

tangerine_dream
04-26-2006, 11:13 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Dayum, we're good :p :rolls: *high 5*
*high 5* Seriously, what would these Roddick-haters do without Roddick? Their whole reason for being would end. :awww:

betterthanhenman
:yawn: ok, but we have better things to do with our time than to start polls like this where he's the only one with that choice, so it's kind of hard to argue you have no ill-will to him. This is sooooooo tiring :zzz: I'm sooo done with this thread. My lecture on corpoate disclosures is more interestin than this, and that is really saying something

Nobody asked you to join the thread. You did so of your own accord and will leave by the same route.

Last I checked Roddick was only 1 option of 10. You decided to make this entirely about him.

Skyward
...that he got the best out of his game, a game which is one dimensional to put it nicely....he made the best with what he has...

What? One dimensional? You are not allowed to say this unless you can beat him in the final of TMS. ;) Show some humility.

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 11:16 PM
I know right Tangy? Their existence would be so empty:sad: Last I checked Roddick was only 1 option of 10. You decided to make this entirely about him.Last I checked, you were the one who specifically initiated discussion as to why you so generously included him in your poll.Nobody asked you to join the thread. You did so of your own accord and will leave by the same route.Maybe I joined it thinking it would be an interesting discussion about those whose ranking has been ruined by various different things. Clearly I was proved wrong by typical MTF behavior. My bad for thinking this thread might be different :) :bigwave:

betterthanhenman
04-26-2006, 11:18 PM
I know right Tangy? Their existence would be so empty:sad: Maybe I joined it thinking it would be an interesting discussion about those whose ranking has been ruined by various different things. Clearly I was proved wrong by typical MTF behavior. My bad for thinking this thread might be different :) :bigwave:

Like I said, you made it all about Roddick.

My focus has more been on Kuerten, as my vote reflects.

Pigpen Stinks
04-26-2006, 11:31 PM
I think they're all about where they should be except for Safin, of course, which is due to injury. Although, even without injury Marat seems to have that Agassi-esque capacity to "wander" in the rankings.

Kuerten, Kucera - old, injuries
Labadze - nutty
Flip - injuries, age, motivation
Wawrinka, Djokovic - still very young
Henman - aging rapidly
Roddick is probably about where he should be given his play. I've got a lot of issues with his game, but in a big spot (on a surface other than clay) I'd still like his chances against most of the guys out there.

betterthanhenman
04-26-2006, 11:33 PM
I think they're all about where they should be except for Safin, of course, which is due to injury. Although, even without injury Marat seems to have that Agassi-esque capacity to "wander" in the rankings.

Kuerten, Kucera - old, injuries
Labadze - nutty
Flip - injuries, age, motivation
Wawrinka, Djokovic - still very young
Henman - aging rapidly
Roddick is probably about where he should be given his play. I've got a lot of issues with his game, but in a big spot (on a surface other than clay) I'd still like his chances against most of the guys out there.

Henman is limited more by his back than anything else.

betterthanhenman
04-26-2006, 11:37 PM
People like Malisse, Mayer, Kohlschreiber and even Llodra could all be much higher in the rankings too.

Pigpen Stinks
04-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Henman is limited more by his back than anything else.

Probably true, but age does take it's toll on the back in particular. Just ask Andre.

blosson
04-27-2006, 12:27 AM
Nobody asked you to join the thread. You did so of your own accord and will leave by the same route.

Last I checked Roddick was only 1 option of 10. You decided to make this entirely about him.

Not when you actually post this...

(By the way, the suggestion with the poll is that Roddick's ranking is too high.)

Horatio Caine
04-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Henman should be top 40 at worst currently. He has the ability to get back in the top 20 but seems to be slipping into old habits of losing to nobodies e.g. Greul.

heya
04-27-2006, 12:46 AM
My back hurts when I watch Henman. Poor guy has a major influence on non-British people.

flyguydsl
04-27-2006, 01:17 AM
Well the rankings are perfectly in line with "ability to win matches"

nkhera1
04-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Without looking at this options in this thread I can guarantee you that Andy Roddick will be one of the options.

amierin
04-27-2006, 01:33 AM
Roddick is right where he belongs as far as ranking is concerned. Guga due to injury is ranked very very low.
I voted Safin but for him to make the top five again he'd have to wrap his head around tennis and remain injury free. If he does that he can easily make it to the top five again.

Sjengster
04-27-2006, 02:05 AM
Let's not forget Sjeng at 382.

:sad:

I suppose you could argue that he wasn't the 11th best player in the world in terms of ability when he reached that ranking in early 2003, but to me he is a regular Top 20 player at his best.

From that list, I nominate Ironman Irakli just for fun.

AgassiDomination
04-27-2006, 02:07 AM
Henman.

its.like.that
04-27-2006, 02:18 AM
Nadal is clearly the best player in the world.

His ranking of #2 does not reflect his ability.

bad gambler
04-27-2006, 02:20 AM
Flip should be top 5

its.like.that
04-27-2006, 02:20 AM
:cuckoo:

bad gambler
04-27-2006, 02:22 AM
Labadze is also very talented, but he spends most of his times with the bookies instead of the practice courts so will never make the breakthrough

heya
04-27-2006, 02:39 AM
But snarling Fed fans are the best of all time. Don't you forget it.

Phunkadelicious
04-27-2006, 02:58 AM

Like I said, you made it all about Roddick.

My focus has more been on Kuerten, as my vote reflects.
Then why didn't you post that the suggestion with the poll is that Kuerten's ranking is too low?:shrug:

BlakeorHenman
04-27-2006, 03:03 AM
What's so offensive about claiming a certain player is overranked? I don't get it, it's just an opinion. Why take things so personally? Lighten up, it's only MTF.

Question about Henman... Why hasn't he gone the cortizone path like Andre? Is it a different kind of injury or something? Anyone know?

BlakeorHenman
04-27-2006, 03:05 AM
Also in this category I would nominate Haas and O. Rochus, who have phenomenally consistent shitty draws.

hitchhiker
04-27-2006, 03:09 AM
this poll isnt complete without Xristos on it

bad gambler
04-27-2006, 04:26 AM
this poll isnt complete without Xristos on it

Players resulting from one's imagination does not count

Primal
05-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Labadze is pure talent. Just a rather large-bellied talent...

Absoutelly.

Chocobo
05-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Safin and Kuerten.

Paul-Henri Mathieu would also be ranked much higher if the matchs were one point shorter :p
Seriously, I mean that tennis-wise, in term of "abilities" as you say, he should be ranked higher, the problem is in his head...

almouchie
05-03-2006, 01:01 PM
kuerten

Gulliver
05-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Well the rankings are perfectly in line with "ability to win matches"

Absolutely true. What else are rankings supposed to represent? When any player starts getting extra points by winning tournaments, or getting further than he did last year, his ranking will represent that fact. Same applies in reverse, losses or going out earlier than last year, and down they go. Safin's no more a special case than anyone else.

A protected ranking for injury o.k. but after that, it's sink or swim.

Sutti
05-04-2006, 01:37 AM
Lapentti

Jimnik
05-04-2006, 02:18 AM
Kuerten? Philippoussis? All the others? Lol. :)

Andy's ranking is 4 places too low :ras:

Guga Kuerten. He's not that old, he should still be top 10.

morningglory
05-04-2006, 03:08 AM
Andy's potential ability : top 2 at least
Andy on his current form: top 20
Andy's effort : umm... top 50
Andy's mental toughness: top 200
Andy's ambition: bottom of ATP
Andy's without a serve: ITF :ras: :p

betterthanhenman
05-04-2006, 03:10 AM
Andy's potential ability : top 2 at least

If that was said with a straight face.... :hatoff:

Action Jackson
05-04-2006, 03:52 AM
Federer

NATAS81
05-04-2006, 03:56 AM
Jo. Johansson #320.

Primal
05-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Federer
Who do you consider to be on his place?

betterthanhenman
07-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Well done redballon on the Labadze vote. :)