How far will USA players progress in Rome? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How far will USA players progress in Rome?

rofe
04-26-2006, 05:23 PM
I am getting tired of these Fed and Nadal threads so hopefully we can have some sane discussion on this or maybe I am expecting too much. :(

All of them skipped Monte Carlo and some of them will be playing in Rome. How far do you think they will go? I personally feel that 3rd round is a good possibility for James and Andy. I don't expect them to progress beyond that considering their lack of match practice on clay. I don't expect any others to progress beyond the second.

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 05:31 PM
I am getting tired of these Fed and Nadal threads so hopefully we can have some sane discussion on this or maybe I am expecting too much. :( Good luck with that, but I will try to help you out ;)

This may be stating the obvious, but it will depend entirely on their draws. they get a dirtballer in the first round and they're done. lol. But I mean Andy's made the QF before and it's the clay Masters that Americans have consistently done better at than the other two, so yeah.

It will also depend on the weather - if it is warm and sunny they're a lot more likely to do well

rofe
04-26-2006, 05:34 PM
Good luck with that, but I will try to help you out ;)

This may be stating the obvious, but it will depend entirely on their draws. they get a dirtballer in the first round and they're done. lol. But I mean Andy's made the QF before and it's the clay Masters that Americans have consistently done better at than the other two, so yeah.

It will also depend on the weather - if it is warm and sunny they're a lot more likely to do well

If we go by the law of averages, there is a fairly good chance that they may not encounter a good dirtballer plus apparently Rome plays faster than Monte Carlo.

ExpectedWinner
04-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Fish will beat Nadal in the final that will last 6.5 hr ;)

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Yeah, Rome is the fastest clay in the world. I remember a couple years ago Andy said that Rome plays faster than Houston and that the surface is even better for him than Houston's. So yeah, in terms of the surface yea.

It will be James's first time back to Rome since his accident there 2 years ago. So, I don't know if that will affect him at all, probably not but hard to say. I imagine it will be odd for him to be back there.

I dunno, with there only being 16 seeds and mostly top 50 players in the draw, there's a good chance for them to draw a good clay player in the first or second round - they could get a Moya, Safin, Massu, Volandri, Andreev, Acasuso, Serra, Horna, etc... in the first round or two. So I definitely think their success will be determined in large part by the luck of the draw.Fish will beat Nadal in the final that will last 6.5 hr ;):lol: he's playing a challenger in the US on green clay instead ;)

Action Jackson
04-26-2006, 05:41 PM
It depends on who shows up.

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 05:42 PM
It depends on who shows up.You mean the Americans? They're all going to show up, barring something happening in the next week or whatever.

Merton
04-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Good luck with that, but I will try to help you out ;)

I thought Andy reached the semis in 2002? Anyway, i completely agree, it depends on the draw, a good claycourter could take them out in round 1. On the other hand, Andy might make it to the semis with a good draw, say Rusedski in R1, Lalo in R2, Robredo in R3 and F. Gonzalez in the quarters.

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 05:46 PM
I thought Andy reached the semis in 2002? ha so he did. Thanks :)Anyway, i completely agree, it depends on the draw, a good claycourter could take them out in round 1. On the other hand, Andy might make it to the semis with a good draw, say Rusedski in R1, Lalo in R2, Robredo in R3 and F. Gonzalez in the quarters.He had a pretty easy draw last year, had match points, didn't seem to help much :o:p Don't think he'll be so lucky to get Rusedski 2 years in a row ;)

Winston's Human
04-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Let's put it this way: No need for weekend tickets.

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Americans + clay = MTF riots. ;):spit:

hitchhiker
04-26-2006, 06:10 PM
warning wait for these to load

USA players adventures in Rome:

1) Crowd gets excited when Roddick hits a backhand winner on clay

http://www.f2f2s.com/Commodus/quietplease.gif

2) Roddick hits his regular backhand

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/5046/yuck26dl.jpg

3) Roddick attempts a serve/volley

http://www.f2f2s.com/Commodus/thumbsdown.gif

4) Vince Spadea starts rapping

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/112/bigfuckindeal63oi.gif

5) Mardy Fish wins Rome

http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/1566/comlaugh9dg.jpg

aceit
04-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Fish will beat Nadal in the final that will last 6.5 hr ;)
See, that would be the case if Mardy wasn't playing a challenger. Now Rafa can sleep at night knowing that he has a chance in Rome. ;)

Jimnik
04-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Sampras and Agassi have both won here so why not Andy?

He'll pound Gaudio and Nadal :smash: and take his first title of the year.

Rome plays like a red hard court anyway. ;)

Action Jackson
04-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks hitch for taking time out from the pie business to bring some sense back to this thread.

NYCtennisfan
04-26-2006, 06:15 PM
They can't do worse than the Russians did in Monte Carlo.

alfonsojose
04-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Ginepri will upset Nadal in straigths :yeah:

alfonsojose
04-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Phoenix is such a great actor. Who won the best supporting actor that year :scratch: ?

revolution
04-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Roddick and Blake may win a couple of rounds, but Ginepri will probs lose at the first.

Merton
04-26-2006, 07:35 PM
hitch :haha: :haha: :haha:

ChloeLove
04-26-2006, 08:32 PM
There's hope for Fish ;) The rest of them are gonzo, 1st round. :lol:

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 08:48 PM
There's hope for Fish ;)Sucks for him that he's not even playing Rome, then ;)

Jairus
04-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Phoenix is such a great actor. Who won the best supporting actor that year :scratch: ?

Benicio Del Toro for Traffic...supposedly he was good, I never saw it myself.
Still, Del Toro was certainly good in Usual Suspects and 21 Grams, so I'm not surprised he has an oscar.

Fumus
04-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Yessummm!! How about that!

Well doesn't Andy or James atleast have to make the second round with a bye?

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Nope there aren't byes at the clay Masters events

ChloeLove
04-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Sucks for him that he's not even playing Rome, then ;)
Haha, then there certainly isn't hope for the Americans . . . I don't know who is even playing in Rome, I need to check that :rolleyes:

idolwatcher1
04-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Ginepri will upset Nadal in straigths :yeah:
:haha: ...then we'd know the end of the world is right around the corner

On a serious note, I would like to see Nadal and Blake play each other on clay, but they would both have to get to the quarters first... ;) I want Moya playing Nadal in the first or second round too... :p

heya
04-27-2006, 12:35 AM
Roddick can't play on hardcourts because he hates to rally and practice much.
His careless serving's beginning to injure his back. Meanwhile, other players' rallies improve. Their serves consist of variety and better placement.
Thankfully, friendship (with Dent, Bryans, Blake and American commentators and McEnroe the DC Captain) is more important than winning.

Rogiman
04-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Sampras and Agassi have both won here so why not Andy?
Ask the question again, then answer it yourself.

amierin
04-27-2006, 01:16 AM
I was optimisitic and said quarters although the third round is more realistic.
Depending on the draw someone might slip through.

its.like.that
04-27-2006, 02:12 AM
Fish is coming off a clay court title in Houston, I expect him to go well here.

Deboogle!.
04-27-2006, 02:13 AM
Fish is coming off a clay court title in Houston, I expect him to go well here.For the third time, Mardy is not playing Rome, he is playing a challenger in the US. His ranking is still not high enough, despite the Houston title.

its.like.that
04-27-2006, 02:16 AM
For the third time, Mardy is not playing Rome, he is playing a challenger in the US. His ranking is still not high enough, despite the Houston title.

Doesn't matter.

He will still make the semis IMO.

:o

Deboogle!.
04-27-2006, 02:17 AM
Doesn't matter.

He will still make the semis IMO.

:o:spit: :lol: okay then!

bad gambler
04-27-2006, 02:19 AM
One American will make the 3rd round at least

Deboogle!.
04-27-2006, 02:20 AM
One American will make the 3rd round at leastdid you have something funny to drink with your lunch today Prabu? :p

its.like.that
04-27-2006, 02:21 AM
:spit: :lol: okay then!

Where there's a will, there's a way. :p

bad gambler
04-27-2006, 02:24 AM
Why doesn't Fish try and qualify? He could be half the mugs running around in Casablanca at the moment and some of them are in the qualifing list :o

Deboogle!.
04-27-2006, 02:32 AM
Why doesn't Fish try and qualify? He could be half the mugs running around in Casablanca at the moment and some of them are in the qualifing list :oRanking not high enough, he would've had to be an alternate on the qualie list, and i think he figured he was just better off entering a challenger and trying to win it. Plus that is one of the last weeks to make the wimbledon cutoff and he probably figures he has a better chance to pick up points going deep in the challengers.

heya
04-27-2006, 02:36 AM
no no no. Dearest love! Fish is marrying ARAWD. Mojo is transferable.
Fish is already the best player in this vast USA land..... No time for him to prove what's real!
He's the best in every way....
best hugger
best lover
best kisser
best friend

hitchhiker
04-27-2006, 02:37 AM
Why doesn't Fish try and qualify?

doesnt want the big guns to get a look at his game in minor masters events before he rips them apart in french open

NYCtennisfan
04-27-2006, 03:04 AM
^LOL!

Originally Posted by bad gambler
Why doesn't Fish try and qualify? He could be half the mugs running around in Casablanca at the moment and some of them are in the qualifing list

Casablanca is quite the MM event, isn't it?

heya
04-27-2006, 03:36 AM
HOUSTON's Mattress "crazy" McIngvale can't be stopped. He's churning out patriotic Americans who aren't afraid to WIN!

Of course, they're not afraid to bow down to perfect players too.
Heheh.

04-27-2006, 09:56 AM
If any of them make it passed the 1st Round I will be happy :lol: It doesn't take a lot to make me happy :rolls:

TheMightyFed
04-27-2006, 11:00 AM
They should at least reach Foro Italico.
Some taxi drivers speak English there....