davydenkow the new schuettler [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

davydenkow the new schuettler

mr_burns
04-26-2006, 04:18 PM
one great year followed by a slump...for how long?

Phunkadelicious
04-26-2006, 05:07 PM
there is no "w" in Davydenko

Scotso
04-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Uhm... Schuettler was never near the calibre of player that Davydenko is, and Davydenko has not lost like 500 matches in a row.

Meeek
04-26-2006, 05:42 PM
:yawn:

Raquel
04-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Uhm... Schuettler was never near the calibre of player that Davydenko is
I wouldn't go that far. Schuettler has made a GS final and a Master Series final. Nikolay hasn't done either yet. Rainer has 4 titles to Nikolay's 5. Schuettler's career W/L is 262-228, Davydenko's is 157-143. Nothing there I would say suggests Schuettler never came close to the calibre of Davydenko.

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 05:57 PM
I totally agree, Raquel. Plus their highest ranking is quite similar.

Scotso
04-26-2006, 06:05 PM
We'll have to disagree then. Schuettler was basically handed that Grand Slam final, and then he was crushed in it. He really shouldn't have been there, he got very lucky.

Davydenko should have been in the finals of Roland Garros last year, and if Puerta hadn't doped he might have been.

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 06:12 PM
If we say this "could've been" and that "could've been" and this "shouldn't have happened," the whole tennis history could be changed by what ifs and could've beens. That's a far too subjective manner to evaluate careers by. Their results demonstrate that they have actually had quite similar results to this point, so I think it's unfair to Schuettler to say that he's nowhere near the same calibre.

Sjengster
04-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Sure, sure, it takes luck to beat Blake, Nalbandian and Roddick in a row. Granted, Coria was a very big win for Davydenko, but seeing as Puerta actually ingested the substance after the SF win, just before the final, it made no difference to his results in the rest of the tournament.

Raquel
04-26-2006, 06:13 PM
We'll have to disagree then. Schuettler was basically handed that Grand Slam final, and then he was crushed in it. He really shouldn't have been there, he got very lucky.

Davydenko should have been in the finals of Roland Garros last year, and if Puerta hadn't doped he might have been.
That Grand Slam final aside, he did win 71 matches that year also. You need more than luck to be that consistent, even if it's just for a year. Comparing their results I'd say it's pretty similar up to now and if Davydenko is considered in another league, then it's without the results to back it up yet from what I can see.

Nathaliia
04-26-2006, 06:16 PM
I think the initial poster meant just the general way of going down. And this is likely to happen.

ReturnWinner
04-26-2006, 06:16 PM
schuettler at his best was as good -or even better- as davydenko

he made a gms final, an ams final and a some ams semis. he had a career high ranking of 5 :)

btw Puerta did not take advantage in his roland garros semis, why people like KBF can not understand it?

Sjengster
04-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Technically I would say Davydenko has better groundstrokes than Schuettler, they're more compact and certainly hit more cleanly, but both of them have speed, consistency and mental toughness as their biggest weapons. Both of them also like to play a lot of tournaments, Schuettler played the most matches of anyone on the tour in 2003 and burned out the next year and Davydenko plays so much every season that he nearly always has half a dozen losses like the one today that leave some people scratching their heads and others declaring that he doesn't deserve to be Top 5.

mr_burns
04-26-2006, 06:19 PM
i think their achievments are very similar...BUT Schuettler has beaten more top players (Agassi, roddick, Nalbandian, Hewitt)

And as Rainer 2 years ago, Davydenko is beginning to loose many 1 rounds to players he has to beat

see him falling out of the top 10 this year

Sjengster
04-26-2006, 06:20 PM
I think the initial poster meant just the general way of going down. And this is likely to happen.

Their career years are very similar, as is the downturn in results the following year, but both of them kick-started their great seasons at the AO, and one important difference is Schuettler's first-round flameout in 2004 compared with Davydenko's defence of his QF showing this year. So he's defended one of the most important results of last year, now the real acid test will be repeating the SF run at RG.

muniu
04-26-2006, 06:25 PM

totaly agree :worship:

Nathaliia
04-26-2006, 06:36 PM
There's something what makes Davydenko different to Schuettler again. He had very difficult beginnings of career due to no money and h did have to save up for travels with not getting enough of quantity and quality of food (people who saw him then say it's mainly bread with cheese). He had shown a great preseverance before he reached this cursed top five and this is what he should get special respect for.

It is also the reason why ironic words just cannot to be typed by my fingers on the keyboard, no matter how much I might be not attracted by the way of playing tennis by Davydenko.