The inconsistent generation... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The inconsistent generation...

TheMightyFed
04-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Seems now that the real only consistent players over the years is Federer, with Nadal being quite consistent but still a bit young and not present in enough slams to be labelled 100% consistent.
Initially we had Safin, king of inconsistency, he used to epitomize it.
Roddick doesn't have the game to be consistent over the years, his game is too predictable.
Then came Hewitt, who lately didn't manage to keep a good level of consistency, while still in his prime.
Nalbandian is consistent overall but his lack of titles indicates that his consistency tends to disapear at semis and finals levels.
We had confidence in the claycourters, thinking that their mentality was to last...
Well, Ferrero didn't recover from some injuries, Coria "forgets" his serve motion after being the king of clay court, Gaudio is the biggest headcase exaequo with Safin, some Argies disappear because they are dopers...

Who else do we have ? Agassi is on the verge of retiring, cannot be consistent with his body, Blake and Ljubo are consistent on hard only. Davydenko can be consistent from time to time but not at top level.

The 80's were certainly not that bad regarding consistency, with basically the top 5-6 in late rounds of tournies and slams. The 90's were the begining of the inconsistency era, but Agassi and Sampras secured a good level of consistency.

Jairus
04-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Flip side of this...tennis got more competitive at the lower rankings...deeper if you will. Hence the eternal debate: has competition gone up, down, stayed the same, or impossible to tell. Have fun debating that one.

Dirk
04-26-2006, 09:10 PM
That is right Jairus, because of the deeper fields there will never be a stable of steady slam stars. Rafa and Roger are pretty much it right now.

Rogiman
04-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Actually Roddick has been consistent, being in the top 5 for the 4th year running now, although he's now falling faster than tangerine_dream's old breasts.

Hewitt has been very much in the scene since 2000 for every year except 2003, so I'd say he's very consistent.

Of course, by Agassi's standards that's not consistency, but a few years at the top is pretty impressive IMO.

Dirk
04-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Actually Roddick has been consistent, being in the top 5 for the 4th year running now, although he's now falling faster than tangerine_dream's old breasts.

Hewitt has been very much in the scene since 2000 for every year except 2003, so I'd say he's very consistent.

Of course, by Agassi's standards that's not consistency, but a few years at the top is pretty impressive IMO.

Tangy's breasts :lol: :haha: I wish I could good rep you 100 times in a row for that comments.

Natasha2005
04-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Federer used to be just as inconsistent as Safin...its only 2 to 3 years he has found his groove.....

Rogiman
04-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Federer used to be just as inconsistent as Safin...its only 2 to 3 years he has found his groove.....
mmm... He's been ranked 6th or higher since the end of 2002, before that he was not even 20.

Safin was extremely consistent when he was 20, but ever since then :tape:

Jairus
04-26-2006, 10:39 PM
mmm... He's been ranked 6th or higher since the end of 2002, before that he was not even 20.

Safin was extremely consistent when he was 20, but ever since then :tape:

Sadly, not even then...didn't he start 2000 with like 7 losses in a row or something crazy...the fact that he was so close to year end #1 makes the amazingness of the rest of his year increase that much.

Primal
04-27-2006, 05:04 PM
I would agree with the firts post. The only reason Fed is a kind of role model (IMHO) now is his consistency. (He's dead talanted though)
You may adore let's say Safin, but sooner or later you get tired of all his inconsistency, and if you still like/love/adore/support him, that's only couse you already consider him as son/brother.....(I'm not talking about teen girls), or you have smth similar to him (this mental ups and downs) and it makes him closer, but again, all this feelings have nothing to do with pure athletism.
With Roger we have different situation. And I really do respect him, becouse of his strength, even if it's a hard work and not just a talent. (Even more respect, if his consistensy is a hard work.)

And after all, may be it's not just a tennis, but this generation problem?
I really think we'll see more consistency among younger players, in a couple of years.

ExpectedWinner
04-27-2006, 10:39 PM
You may adore let's say Safin, but sooner or later you get tired of all his inconsistency, and if you still like/love/adore/support him, that's only couse you already consider him as son/brother.....(I'm not talking about teen girls)

:rolleyes: What? :confused:

TheFedExpress
08-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Who does your vote go to? For me its probably Ivo Karlovic, if he is serving well he can beat anyone but his general game is an absolute shambles.

Bilbo
08-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Youzhny
Berdych
Malisse

TheFedExpress
08-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Some good players there and I would have to agree, Malisse is excellent on his day but he is terribley inconsistent

Marat Safin is another name id throw into the ring

Kinetix
08-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Xavier Malisse.

Jlee
08-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Marat Safin.

A lot of the young guys of course, but I'd rather wait and see if they grow out of it then label them that way now.

vincayou
08-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Berdych.

napki
08-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Nalbandian.

rmb6687
08-21-2006, 10:31 PM
absolutely without a doubt Marat Safin. Not only because he should have grown out of it by now but also because of all the players not living up to their potential...he is probably the best of them.

napki
08-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Marat Safin.
he's pretty consistent this year... :p

i hope he improves to the level he played few years ago, then the whole consistency talk will make more sense.

rmb6687
08-21-2006, 11:07 PM
he's pretty consistent this year... :p

i hope he improves to the level he played few years ago, then the whole consistency talk will make more sense.

haahaha oh god...soooooo true

PoderShileno
08-21-2006, 11:15 PM
tursunov

-ernie-
08-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Easily Labadze :o

Bilbo
08-21-2006, 11:28 PM
I forgot Mathieu

ezekiel
08-21-2006, 11:31 PM
ljubi

DrJules
08-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Nalbandian.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

His ranking is too high to call him inconsistent.

scoobs
08-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Baghdatis.

Australian Open final, Wimbledon Semis, Indian Wells Quarters, and a whole HELL of a lot of first round losses.

On top of that he seems to need the trainer on court virtually every match.

napki
08-21-2006, 11:47 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

His ranking is too high to call him inconsistent.
he's making progress this year :lol:

rob88hock
08-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Roger Federer

Deboogle!.
08-21-2006, 11:51 PM
In addition to people who have already been mentioned... what about Blake? He'll win a title or have a good run and beat a bunch of good players then lose 1st or 2nd round for a few weeks, then have another good run, etc.

musefanatic
08-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Tursunov for me i think, especially in his matches.

*Viva Chile*
08-22-2006, 12:02 AM
Mathieu

Bilbo
08-22-2006, 12:03 AM
In addition to people who have already been mentioned... what about Blake? He'll win a title or have a good run and beat a bunch of good players then lose 1st or 2nd round for a few weeks, then have another good run, etc.

a top10 player can't be on that list.

btw blake will win another title this week :p

Jlee
08-22-2006, 12:05 AM

btw blake will win another title this week :p

No I agree with Deb. He's made the most of the "ups" but lately there have been a lot more "downs." Especially in Toronto and Cincy.

Hopefully he will win that title ;)

scoobs
08-22-2006, 12:07 AM
I don't think Blake is handling the pressure of being Numero Uno Americano well at the moment.

Deboogle!.
08-22-2006, 12:09 AM

btw blake will win another title this week :pwhy not? If anything, that makes the inconsistency all the more striking.

He may very well win another week, but considering he lost within the first couple rounds the past 3 weeks, wouldn't that equate to extreme inconsistency? :lol:

ServeAlready81
08-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Even though he's top 10, I'd say blake as well because of the extremes. He'll play extremely well one week, and like absolute sh*t the next. Although he hasn't played "extremely" well since probably spring.

Fergie
08-22-2006, 12:43 AM
Berdych :rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
08-22-2006, 12:52 AM
Mathieu...

TMJordan
08-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Birdshit

GlennMirnyi
08-22-2006, 01:02 AM
Birdshit

So mature! :rolleyes:

ChinoRios4Ever
08-22-2006, 01:19 AM
safin
malisse
verdasco
srichaphan

drf716
08-22-2006, 01:29 AM
MARAT SAFIN, i'm afraid.

You can have Roger Federer. You can keep Rafael Nadal. Andy Roddick? Pfft. If you had to pay to watch one tennis player play one match, your money should go to a madman ranked 77th in the world, hands down.

Yesterday, the world's only Shakespearean tennis star returned to Toronto for another typically tumultuous performance. Marat Safin, the magnetic 26-year-old Russian, was shoehorned in between Nadal in the afternoon session and Federer in the evening, but those fans who stuck around were rewarded with a performance worthy of Lear.

Safin, playing a first-round match against seventh-seeded veteran Tommy Robredo, was both brilliant and baleful, awesome and awful, raging against ghosts one minute, and making balls vanish past Robredo the next.

In other words, another day at the office.

"He's No. 1," said one adoring tournament volunteer, "for excitement."

Safin was No. 1 in the rankings back in 2000 at the tender age of 20.

Today he is 26, coming back from six months lost to a knee injury. Last month, Safin lost to the 512th-ranked player in the world. Two weeks later, he beat James Blake, ranked sixth, en route to the semi-finals of the Legg-Mason tournament in Washington. He is just 17-15 this year.

"[In Washington], I was very close to going to the final, probably would have won the tournament, because I was playing really well -- and everything slips away," said Safin yesterday after falling to Robredo 7-5, 5-7, 6-2. "Like the water through the hands. You are there, but something is missing."

With Safin, something is almost always missing. Yesterday, the 6-foot-4, 195-pound giant interspersed every kind of breathtaking shot -- axe-sharp forehands, overpowering backhands, volleys as delicate as parchment -- with errors so errant that it was a wonder they stayed in the Rexall Centre.

They didn't always, of course. At 1-1 of the second set, Safin was broken at love after a backhand sailed inexplicably long, and he hammered Robredo's post-point return with a swinging volley that flew away over the broadcast booth and out of the stadium. Naturally, that explosion of emotion, along with his many others, was applauded.

"I think he's got gigantic charisma as a personality," says Dmitry Tursunov, Safin's doubles partner and good friend. "When he's playing well, he's one of the best players, the most talented out of all of them. But I think that he's also a little bit of a superstar in a way that sometimes he can whine, he can complain, and somehow people enjoy that even though it might be the most ridiculous thing.

"Kind of like Anna Kournikova -- she could come out and start whining about anything, and people would just adore her."

Indeed, yesterday Safin followed various mistakes by throwing up his arms in despair, or by unleashing a roar, or by smacking a helpless ball about 100 feet into the air. Almost every time, the crowd loved it.

"It's me, for the good and for the bad," said Safin, sprawled on a couch in the players' lounge. "Sometimes I get frustrated, I get warnings here and there -- it's my tennis. It's how I am. People, they like it, and I like the fans. They've been amazing throughout my career, even though I slipped so many times on the court."

He does reward that love with a burst of sustained brilliance every once in a while. Safin was the last man to win a major before Federer and Nadal combined to win the last seven Grand Slams, upsetting Federer en route to the 2005 Australian Open.

It was the second major of Safin's career, following the 2000 U.S. Open, when he dismantled Pete Sampras in straight sets. Afterwards, Sampras called Safin "the future of the game."

But in between and since, Safin has been the man in the rigging, swinging back and forth. He may be the most talented tennis player in the world -- Tursunov says "I think the only person who could really come close is Roger." But alone, talent is not enough.

"He has women just throwing themselves at him, he's got the money, he's got the fame, people love him, he can buy anything he wants to," says Tursunov. "It's hard to all of a sudden to decide to throw it all away and concentrate and work hard and go nuts over losing a tennis match. If he had Nadal's focus and tunnel vision about tennis, yeah, he'd be No. 1. But very few people have that."

Still, Safin is one of the most popular players on the tour -- a relentlessly charming, introspective, transparent man. And though he seems constantly on the verge of smashing the racquet for good, he keeps on chasing his game, and himself.

"Why quit? To quit is the easiest solution, to just run away from the problems, but the problems will catch you sooner or later," says Safin. "Tennis has been great for me ... tennis brought me up, all the money that I make, all the places that I visited, the hotels that I stay in, the people I met -- everything that happened in my life is just thanks to tennis.

"Without tennis, I wouldn't be nobody. Just because the tennis is shit, I can't complain and say that it's enough ... I still think I can be in the top 10, for sure. Tennis right now is pretty open. I keep on trying. The money I have, it's not like I'm suffering and starving and living in the streets. I have a great life, and I still have to give back to tennis, for what tennis gave to me."
Bruce Arthur, National Post

Action Jackson
08-22-2006, 03:14 AM
Federer

Primal
08-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Safin, Gaudio, Mathieu.

Bilbo
08-22-2006, 02:45 PM
You guys forget Safin is getting older. It's not like he's 20. His prime is over.

tangerine_dream
08-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Definitely James Blake, as Deb said. He'll play great tennis one week (maybe win a title), and then inexplicably crash out in the first rounds for the next two weeks. Repeat cycle. This has been going on for a while.

He's due to play well again at USO.

Krikry
08-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Marat Safin of course, who else?

Argenbrit
08-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Marat :sad:

atheneglaukopis
08-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Another poll, and guess who's winning? :speakles:
Safin 8
Malisse 4
Mathieu 4
Blake 4
Berdych 4
Federer 2
Tursunov 2
Karlovic 1
Youzhny 1
Nalbandian 1
Labadze 1
Ljubicic 1
Baghdatis 1
Verdasco 1
Srichaphan 1
Gaudio 1

adee-gee
08-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Federer.

Action Jackson
08-22-2006, 06:00 PM
I mean Safin would even "Most Attractive Black Player on Tour" Poll.

atheneglaukopis
08-22-2006, 06:04 PM
I mean Safin would even "Most Attractive Black Player on Tour" Poll.:spit: Indeed.

marcelwks
08-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Gasquet

he can win tournament playing great and next week loosing in first round .

playing great in first half of 2005 and second of 2006 and avarage or even bad in second of 2005 and first of 2006 .

propi
08-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Feliciano :rolleyes:
Being his fan is like a Chinese torture sometimes :p

Julio
08-22-2006, 06:19 PM
For me Mathieu. And Safin of course.

Action Jackson
08-23-2006, 08:48 AM
:spit: Indeed.

I am serious that is the problem.

oz_boz
08-23-2006, 10:24 AM
The Bye.

atheneglaukopis
08-23-2006, 02:37 PM
I am serious that is the problem.
I wasn't disagreeing.

World Beater
08-23-2006, 04:08 PM
blake for sure...marat would have won this one a long time ago, when he actually had good results once in a while. now he just is bad all the time.

Billabong
08-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Mathieu, Youzhny, Berdych, Gasquet, Marat:sad:

canbera
08-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Xavier Malisse
Tommy Haas

Allstar
08-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Gonzalez is pretty inconsistent

ChinoRios4Ever
08-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Gonzalez is pretty inconsistent

hhmmm you're right

feña lost to..... ALEX BOGOMOLOV JR!!!!!!!! in the aussie open this year

when gonzo is on can beat anybody
but when he's off can lose against anybody like bogo

Lullaby
08-23-2006, 05:33 PM
hhmmm you're right

I hope he is not in the basel form if he meets murray in us open!

Allstar
08-23-2006, 05:59 PM
hhmmm you're right

Precisely, I remember that match well

MariaV
08-23-2006, 06:02 PM
But Feña has got much more consistent this year.

Xavier7
07-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Who do you think are the most unreliable players in the ATP. i.e Those who are most likely to play rubbish and lose to someone they should beat or blow a lead in a match when they are close to victory. I would place Davydenko, Blake, Nalbandian, Gasquet, Gonzalez, Tursunov there

cobalt60
07-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Most of them on any given day.
Had you asked reliable players that would have been easier to answer:p

finishingmove
07-03-2008, 05:24 PM
there's a thread for reliable players too :p

unreliable : Nalbandian by a mile

Tursunov: u just know he's going to lose

martine2
07-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Calleri... he's one of my favs but with him it always can go either way...

federernadalfan
07-03-2008, 05:31 PM
why not just discuss this topic on one thread?

osalsyst
07-03-2008, 05:32 PM
It's Blake and Ljubicic for me.

Tom Paulman
07-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Melzer as a favorite

Jaap
07-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Calleri, Mayer, Melzer, Koubek, Acasuso, Ginepri, Soderling.....take your pick.

rocketassist
07-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Koubek.