Has Murray got the worst fitness on tour? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Has Murray got the worst fitness on tour?

Jaap
04-25-2006, 05:42 PM
I haven't seen anyone in top 150 with as worse fitness as him. He can't last longer than two sets.

Today yet again he collapsed in the third set. He can be a good player but he needs to improve his fitness if he is going to go further up the rankings.

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 05:46 PM
I thought he allegedly worked hard on his fitness last off-season?

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Dent and Labadze

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Dent and LabadzeAt least Dent moved to Saddlebrook last year and cut his body fat incredibly. He hasn't played enough this year to know if his fitness has improved..... but I've never seen him cramp on grass ;) ...Labadze is indeed a hilarious joke, though.

Jaap
04-25-2006, 05:54 PM
At least Dent has a serve which can give him a bit of rest bite. Murray's serve is a bit of a joke at the moment which means he has to fight for every point. With this style of play, he has to have good fitness.

Ays25
04-25-2006, 05:58 PM
yeah murray should compete on wta or the seniors tour.
he even lost to mc enroe last year

MariaV
04-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I watched the match and wondered. He had cramps in his left leg again during the 3rd set. Is it something .... not linked only to the fitness? :confused:
He was serving for the match at 6-5 in the 2nd set btw. :(

federated
04-25-2006, 06:06 PM
yes, he does.

federated
04-25-2006, 06:06 PM
yeah murray should compete on wta or the seniors tour.
he even lost to mc enroe last year
:haha:

CooCooCachoo
04-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Yes, pretty much so.

Jaap
04-25-2006, 06:10 PM
He got through a tough three setter against Hewitt in San Jose with many baseline rallies. Maybe he has slacked off over the past few months and has been going to mcdonalds instead of the gym?

*Ljubica*
04-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I watched the match and wondered. He had cramps in his left leg again during the 3rd set. Is it something .... not linked only to the fitness? :confused:
He was serving for the match at 6-5 in the 2nd set btw. :(
I know he had a virus a few weeks ago before the DC - so maybe it has left some lingering problems with fatigue? Also, from what I read of Murray and his love of junk food etc - it could be something as simple as his nutritional regime. He is a young lad and probably still growing - and if he eats the wrong food, he could quite easily "outgrow his strength" as we say here.

Fumus
04-25-2006, 06:12 PM
I think having a tight looking body and being fit are two different things. Look at Nalbandian he's really quick around the court and all he does is play 5 setters, the guy can last but if you see him without his shirt on he looks as bad as Dent or Labadze. Tennis is one of the few remaining sports where fitness isn't uber important. It's possible to be a top player and be out of shape because tennis is a sport based on small motor skills and hand eye coordination. Of course fitness helps and there are players who are the opposite, of the former and simply survive on quickness and stamina ala Davydenko. On a whole however any serious tennis player spends as much time in the gym as they do on the court and have a physio, nutritionist, psychologist, and coach...just like any other sport. It's just that tennis is one of those sports where a player with enough talent and a big enough shot can make a living and be relatively successful and not be in peak physical condition; just to state the obivious.

As far as Murray goes, he's a pretty young guy and not being able to last the long matches may have something to do with his age.

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 06:16 PM
As far as Murray goes, he's a pretty young guy and not being able to last the long matches may have something to do with his age.

Nadal can last for ages and it's not age specific. It could be diet, not enough salt intake and last time he took much of the electrolytes and deposited them all over the court.

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 06:17 PM
He was serving for the match at 6-5 in the 2nd set btw. :(There are some people who I've read are physiologically more prone to getting cramps than other people and it doesn't have anything to do with fitness. Maybe he is just one of those poeple, in which case he can be as fit as he wants and he'll always have cramping problems.

Ryan, I don't really agree. I think fitness has become a HUGE part of tennis over the past few decades.

Allez
04-25-2006, 06:18 PM
OH NO Murray you muppet! He had the frog beat. I knew if Murray lost that tie break Ferrer would walk the 3rd. So frustrating. Monfils also tends to collapse in the 3rd set.

Murray's diet is quite weird for a professional sports person. McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC you name it. And he admits to loving his junk food :eek: :eek: :eek: . Well it doesn't help you when you get into these kinds of matches. He needs to get fit and start eating healthy food. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why must Andy ALWAYS lose in 3 sets to these players ? So close and yet so far. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Still it's very encouraging. Murray rarely loses in straight sets to these higher ranked players. He's only 18 and he will do well :yeah::yeah::yeah:

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Murray's diet is quite weird for a professional sports person. McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC you name it. And he admits to loving his junk food :eek: :eek: :eek: . Well it doesn't help you when you get into these kinds of matches. He needs to get fit and start eating healthy food. :mad: :mad: :mad: I thought people were JOKING when they said all he ate was fast food and junk? Wow :o

Lee
04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
OH NO Murray you muppet! He had the frog beat. I knew if Murray lost that tie break Ferrer would walk the 3rd. So frustrating. I know Monfils won today but he also tends to collapse in the 3rd set.
Murray's diet is quite weird for a professional sports person. McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC you name it. And he admits to loving his junk food :eek: :eek: :eek: . Well it doesn't help you when you get into these kinds of matches. He needs to get fit and start eating healthy food. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why must Andy ALWAYS lose in 3 sets to these players ? So close and yet so far. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Still it's very encouraging. Murray rarely loses in straight sets to these higher ranked players. He's only 18 and he will do well :yeah::yeah::yeah:

No, Monfils lost to Almagro today. You're probably referring to yesterday's match.

MariaV
04-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks Deb, yeah, I started wondering too that maybe he's simply physiologically more prone to cramping than others. And as Rosie said, probably he's still growing and not eating properly, and had some virus not so long ago. These may all be factors. Thanks for the replies. :wavey:

Lee
04-25-2006, 06:23 PM
I thought people were JOKING when they said all he ate was fast food and junk? Wow :o

Hey, they have healthy food from McDonald, Pizza Hut and KFC too!!!! ;)

Fumus
04-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Nadal can last for ages and it's not age specific. It could be diet, not enough salt intake and last time he took much of the electrolytes and deposited them all over the court.

One can hardly compare Nadal to an average person. I would say he has amazing genetics and phenomonal ability. You wouldn't say it that it was normal for players his age to win gs titles and numerous master series either...

Other players the same age as Murray have problems with tiring prematurally during matches too and it has nothing to do with fitness. It's not a rule but, Murray isn't a man yet, not fully grown and he doesn't have the full potential of his strength yet. Alot of young players have this problem, they are playing against full grown men who can and will last longer, hit harder, move quicker and for longer periods of time. Murray can have success on surfaces were fitness is not as much of an issue, or should I say, the fact that he can't last as long won't be as apparent. On a surface like grass, or hc the shots per rally will be alot less...therefore less energy expended. :)

Allez
04-25-2006, 06:26 PM
No, Monfils lost to Almagro today. You're probably referring to yesterday's match.

Yep, you're right :hug: I've corrected my mistake :yeah:

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Murray can have success on surfaces were fitness is not as much of an issue, or should I say, the fact that he can't last as long won't be as apparent. On a surface like grass, or hc the shots per rally will be alot less...therefore less energy expended. :)Murray cramped in a grass match last year ;)

Yea Maria, it makes sense. and suuuuuuure Lee, I'm sure Murray's going to McD's and eating salads :p

I think the only thing age has to do with this is that younger guys are less likely to really have their fitness routines really professional yet. A lot of guys have success in juniors, then turn pro and have some early success and never really realize how important the fitness part is, so it takes them a few years to really start taking it seriously. I can think of lots of players who had injury/cramping problems at 18/19 and are fit and mostly healthy now that they're a few years older and are more mature about it.

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 06:30 PM
One can hardly compare Nadal to an average person. I would say he has amazing genetics and phenomonal ability. You wouldn't say it that it was normal for players his age to win gs titles and numerous master series either...

Wilander wasn't fully grown and developed as a teen and he never lost a match cause he lacked physical fitness. Even a guy like Berdych can last a long time and he is not known for his outstanding fitness either, there are just as many who can last the distance and Hewitt isn't a genetic freak either.

Most of these players aren't that fit at the best of times. It's a problem for Murray that needs to be addressed, if he wants to crap food fine, then do the extra training work or use mental breathing exercises or something.

Fumus
04-25-2006, 06:33 PM
There are some people who I've read are physiologically more prone to getting cramps than other people and it doesn't have anything to do with fitness. Maybe he is just one of those poeple, in which case he can be as fit as he wants and he'll always have cramping problems.

Ryan, I don't really agree. I think fitness has become a HUGE part of tennis over the past few decades.

Yea, fitness has increased in it's importance to tennis in the past few decades, just as it has in every other sport. Fitness however, isn't as crucial to Tennis as it is in other sports.

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Yea, fitness has increased in it's importance to tennis in the past few decades, just as it has in every other sport. Fitness however, isn't as crucial to Tennis as it is in other sports.Okay, we'll just agree to disagree :)

mangoes
04-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey, they have healthy food from McDonald, Pizza Hut and KFC too!!!! ;)

So True............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

What I find shocking is that he had an opportunity to beat Ferrer......

mangoes
04-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Yea, fitness has increased in it's importance to tennis in the past few decades, just as it has in every other sport. Fitness however, isn't as crucial to Tennis as it is in other sports.

I must disagree with that statement..........I think it's very crucial in Tennis......and it is obviously costing Murray.......

Horatio Caine
04-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Donald Young has yet to test his stamina :haha: :haha:

Lee
04-25-2006, 06:42 PM
and suuuuuuure Lee, I'm sure Murray's going to McD's and eating salads :p

May be for the toys from kids' meal ;)

As GWH said, it's OK he eats high calories food as long as he work them out. And train for his endurance.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
04-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Man, Murray played a good match, but hell yeah, he can't play on clay.:retard: I think this cramping isn't for real, it's in his brain. He always thinks when he loses that he might cramp. Way to excuse tanking a match. Well, I've got to say WORK ON THAT DAMN FITNESS. But well done, you'll do better next year.:yeah:

almouchie
04-25-2006, 08:09 PM
There are some people who I've read are physiologically more prone to getting cramps than other people and it doesn't have anything to do with fitness. Maybe he is just one of those poeple, in which case he can be as fit as he wants and he'll always have cramping problems.

probably physiologically as u state
it isnt his fitness, maybe more his mental preparation b4 matches
he seem prone to crambling quite a lot

Raquel
04-25-2006, 08:16 PM
I think his fitness definitely needs improving. It's one of a few things he can work a lot on. The fact he has gotten this far in his first year on the senior tour with sub-par fitness is a sign of his potential.

He did really well today to take Ferrer even that close on clay. I was expecting Ferrer to win reasonably comfortably given their records on clay and Andy struggling against someone in the 200s yesterday, so he must have found some way of playing well on clay and it's more good clay experience.

Duncan
04-25-2006, 09:18 PM
If it was serious that he had glandular fever its a surprise that he is actually playing at all. It knocks you for six, he just has to battle on through it. GIVE HIM A BREAK!

ReturnWinner
04-25-2006, 10:29 PM
definitavly his fitness is pretty bad and that is what he would need to

improve the most. I watched a little his match today plus his matches against

Dent in Queens, Nalbandian in wimbledon, Clement in Usopen, and Lisnard in

Montecarlo last week and his fitness was key for the outcome of those

matches :p

khyber
04-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Maybe his mom can convince Gil Reyes to work with him.

OddJob
04-26-2006, 01:56 AM
I love the guy but Andy is not fit. He's still eating junk food and thats just not going to do it. The cramping is getting a little out of hand. I'm sure in time Andy will work on his fitness.

jacobhiggins
04-26-2006, 02:32 AM
I think having a tight looking body and being fit are two different things. Look at Nalbandian he's really quick around the court and all he does is play 5 setters, the guy can last but if you see him without his shirt on he looks as bad as Dent or Labadze. Tennis is one of the few remaining sports where fitness isn't uber important. It's possible to be a top player and be out of shape because tennis is a sport based on small motor skills and hand eye coordination. Of course fitness helps and there are players who are the opposite, of the former and simply survive on quickness and stamina ala Davydenko. On a whole however any serious tennis player spends as much time in the gym as they do on the court and have a physio, nutritionist, psychologist, and coach...just like any other sport. It's just that tennis is one of those sports where a player with enough talent and a big enough shot can make a living and be relatively successful and not be in peak physical condition; just to state the obivious.

I'm sorry but you could not be more wrong. You can NOT BE OUT OF SHAPE and be a top tennis player. Golf, Baseball, and some other sports that might be the case but in Tennis, you have to be in shape, it's a running and endurance sport.

MisterQ
04-26-2006, 04:20 AM
Dent and Labadze

Labadze's results have fallen since he began training to run across Asia.

hanshiguan
04-26-2006, 05:28 AM
hehe

I don't like him

silverwhite
04-26-2006, 08:54 AM

He needs to watch Jamie's School Dinners. ;)

Fed=ATPTourkilla
04-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Murray's level of fitness is pathetic. If it's true that he eats KFC, Macdonalds etc, then it's hardly surprising and one hundred percent his own silly fault.

Duncan
04-26-2006, 12:54 PM
On the other hand i don't believe for a second that his diet is to blame, i eat all the same junk as he does and im still extremely fit ;)

joeb_uk
04-26-2006, 02:04 PM

Well actually no fumus, physical condintioning is essential for tennis. Tennis requires many physiological components, not just a single component such as marathon running which requires endurance (so in tennis, it is not as easy to see). Motor performance and reaction time are linked to fatigue, so if you are lacking the condintioning you are going to fatigue alot quicker and both of those components will decline!

Of course, motor performance and reaction time is one of the most important factors in tennis (but you need to be in shape to maintain a good level of these). Otherwise huge declines in physiological components such as power, force output, speed etc will occur (as well as the accuracy in hitting due to decreased motor performance).

Its hard to tell with murray, maybe he is just a lazy person off the matchcourt? Maybe his diet doesnt help either? Maybe he doesnt do the right training? Maybe he has no idea of nutrition/hydration building up to a match? Maybe he has no clue about hydration/nutrition during a match? Maybe he has no clue about rehydrating or replenishing the losses after a match?

I suspect all of the above, because lets be honest. His condintioning is awful!

Deboogle!.
04-26-2006, 02:24 PM
On the other hand i don't believe for a second that his diet is to blame, i eat all the same junk as he does and im still extremely fit ;)Sure you can be fit and eat crap all the time but it's a lot harder to do it if you're not getting the proper nutrients and all that from your food and if you're eating way too much fat and calories. He has to work that much harder to be fit, so yeah. I remember a couple years ago when they said Andy (Roddick) took just white bread out of his diet and lost like 10 pounds. So I think if Murray is eating that kind of crap and eating it all the time as his primary diet, then it's completely his fault and it's definitely partly to blame for his fitness issues!

Merton
04-26-2006, 02:50 PM
It seems that he has improved his fitness relative to last year and he regressed just before the start of the clay season. He might have the worst fitness of the (currently active) top 50 right now but he will improve before the grass season.

joeb_uk
04-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Sure you can be fit and eat crap all the time but it's a lot harder to do it if you're not getting the proper nutrients and all that from your food and if you're eating way too much fat and calories. He has to work that much harder to be fit, so yeah. I remember a couple years ago when they said Andy (Roddick) took just white bread out of his diet and lost like 10 pounds. So I think if Murray is eating that kind of crap and eating it all the time as his primary diet, then it's completely his fault and it's definitely partly to blame for his fitness issues!

Indeed, if the athlete has knowledge of the appropiate nutrition! Certain food/supplements, can be used as ergogenic aids.

joeb_uk
04-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Found an interesting article on cramps in tennis, maybe this will help people understand the causes a little better.

Abstract

Sweat losses during tennis can be considerable. And while most players make a
genuine effort to stay well hydrated to maintain performance and reduce the risk
of heat illness, regular and copious water intake is often not enough. Besides an
extraordinary water loss, extensive sweating can lead to a concomitant large
electrolyte deficit too – particularly for sodium. Although a variety of other mineral
deficiencies and physiological conditions are purported to cause muscle cramps,
evidence suggests that, when a tennis player cramps in warm to hot weather,
extensive and repeated sweating during the current and previous matches and a
consequent sodium deficit are usually the primary contributing factors. Heat
cramps often begin as subtle “twitches” or fasciculations in one or more voluntary
muscles and, unless treated, can rapidly progress to widespread debilitating
muscle spasms that leave an afflicted player on the court writhing in pain. If
sufficient preventive measures are taken well before and during play, such
cramping is avoidable in most cases. Appropriate and sufficient salt and fluid
intake will enhance rehydration and fluid distribution throughout a player’s body,
so that heat cramps can be completely averted, even during long matches in the
most challenging environments.

Reccomendations:

Tennis players should arrive as early as possible to tournaments
played in hotter and/or more humid conditions, so that they have the
opportunity to acclimatise to the new environment (including
conserving sodium).
• They should drink plenty of fluids (water, juice, sport drinks, etc.)
throughout the day; but they should also be careful to not “overhydrate”.
• Players prone to heat cramps should add some salt to their diet and
possibly include additional salt in their on-court sports drink.
• Certain players should consider having their sweat rate and sweat
electrolyte losses measured, so that specific and effective strategies
can be developed and applied for sufficiently and appropriately
maintaining fluid and mineral balance.
• If heat cramps persist, players should consult with their doctor about
other potential causes related to medications, an underlying illness or
metabolic disorder, or other predisposing factors.