Favourite Jewish Players? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Favourite Jewish Players?

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 01:53 PM
This is a bandwagon thread and maybe we can have favourite Muslim players, favourite Protestant, favourite Roman Catholic, Jehovas Witnesses and etc etc.

I will attempt to try and include as many current players as possible, but it won't be easy.

Nathaliia
04-25-2006, 01:56 PM
I only know that Williams Sisters (how close to ATP... uhh Serena :p) are Jehovas Witnesses :)

Kristen
04-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Noam Okun.
And, props to you for spelling Justin's name correctly ;)

betterthanhenman
04-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Anyone but Gilbert.

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Noam Okun.
And, props to ou for spelling Justin's name correctly ;)

This is a serious thread and Master Gimelstob deserves his name spelt correctly as Gimelnob is not fair for the purpose of this thread.

TheMightyFed
04-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Anyone but Gilbert.
But he was the best of them all... ranked 4th in the world ?

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 02:05 PM
But he was the best of them all... ranked 4th in the world ?

Gottfried and Solomon made Slam finals, something Gilbert never did. Gilbert was a joke in the Slams.

Saumon
04-25-2006, 02:08 PM
we can have favourite Muslim players.
I think we know who would win :o

mandoura
04-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Amir Hadad is one of my favourites for emotional reasons. :)

Nathaliia
04-25-2006, 02:11 PM
I think we know who would win :o
Younes El Aynaoui :smoke:

Nathaliia
04-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Amir Hadad is one of my favourites for emotional reasons. :)
omg mine also... same reasons :haha:

cobalt60
04-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Must correct. Massu does not consider himself Jewish. He was raised Catholic but identifies with his Arab side more. And I vote Andyoni anyday. :)

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Must correct. Massu does not consider himself Jewish. He was raised Catholic but identifies with his Arab side more. And I vote Andyoni anyday. :)

Whether Massu likes it or not, he is still part Jewish :)

federated
04-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Krickstein and Massu.

I only know that Williams Sisters (how close to ATP... uhh Serena :p) are Jehovas Witnesses :)

:yawn:

ps. where are those incredibly tacky song lyrics in your sig from? :scared:

Saumon
04-25-2006, 02:18 PM
or Marat, he always wins polls in GM :angel:

mandoura

Nathi, it seems we agree on a lot. :)

When I read Saumon's post I was going to reply with the same reply but with this smiley instead :p . However, I am not 100% sure if Younes or Arazi consider themselves Muslims. :)

Jim Jones
Arabs can be Christian too so you should replace your 'but' with 'and'. :D

Nathaliia
04-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Krickstein and Massu.

:yawn:

ps. where are those incredibly tacky song lyrics in your sig from? :scared:
Garbage - "You look so fine". Awesome song btw.

mandoura
04-25-2006, 02:30 PM
or Marat, he always wins polls in GM :angel:

I think Nathi was teasing because Marat is always THE Muslim player that always comes to mind. :D

Nathaliia
04-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Nathi, it seems we agree on a lot. :)

When I read Saumon's post I was going to reply with the same reply but with this smiley instead :p . However, I am not 100% sure if Younes or Arazi consider themselves Muslims. :)
Marat says he's not much religious either. Sorry for that smiley, I wanted to use :p this one too.

mandoura
04-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Marat says he's not much religious either. Sorry for that smiley, I wanted to use :p this one too.

:)

Pigpen Stinks
04-25-2006, 02:36 PM

It seems like you are confusing ethnic heritage with religion. I may be half Irish, a quarter Russian, and basically another quarter Italian with just a smidgen of Portuguese thrown in from many generations back. In this case I would still be part Portuguese, even if it's like 1/32 or less. However, if one of my relatives in my blood line was a practicing Jew or a practicing Mormon, that doesn't make me part Jewish or part Mormon.

Ethnic heritage and religion are separate entities.

Nathaliia
04-25-2006, 02:38 PM
It seems like you are confusing ethnic heritage with religion. I may be half Irish, a quarter Russian, and basically another quarter Italian with just a smidgen of Portuguese thrown in from many generations back. In this case I would still be part Portuguese, even if it's like 1/32 or less. However, if one of my relatives in my blood line was a practicing Jew or a practicing Mormon, that doesn't make me part Jewish or part Mormon.

If there was a Mormon I bet you would be a Mormon too :p

Carlita
04-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Aaron Krickstein :)

DhammaTiger
04-25-2006, 02:39 PM
I voted for Massu because he was in the poll, and was totally unaware as to his background. Thanks to Sue i have more info on him. Nevertheless I must clarify that I don't think any players religion, or for that matter anyone's religion should be important or a consideration in liking that person or not. That also goes for anyone's nationality, it should absolutely not be a criterion for judging anyone.

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 02:42 PM

There is no 1/32 or the like here. Mrs Massu is of Hungarian Jewish background, so how would this not make him have any close ties and we are not talking about 10 or even 3 generations here.

raeesa301
04-25-2006, 02:52 PM
It depends what you mean when you say Jewish, Muslim, Catholic, etc.

They may be born into these religions, but I think most of them don't practice them. First person who comes to mind is Safin.

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 02:54 PM
It's not important whether they are practicing or not.

But to answer the question it would be Aaron Krickstein.

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
04-25-2006, 02:56 PM
please GWH i wish a poll for atheists as well :cool:

oz_boz
04-25-2006, 02:58 PM

"Jewish" can refer both to ethnic heritage (on mother's side) and religious practice.

cobalt60
04-25-2006, 02:58 PM
;) I know you hate this GW but :kiss: :angel:

Mrs. B
04-25-2006, 03:02 PM
My fave Jewish player? Ron E :angel:

cobalt60
04-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Arabs can be Christian too so you should replace your 'but' with 'and'. :D
I know that. It is all just semantics isn't it or semitic if you wish;)

tennisace
04-25-2006, 03:05 PM
There is no 1/32 or the like here. Mrs Massu is of Hungarian Jewish background, so how would this not make him have any close ties and we are not talking about 10 or even 3 generations here.

I hate to get "technical" here, but according to Jewish law - a child born to a Jewish mother is Jewish, irregardless of the religion of the father. If a child is born to a Gentile mother and a Jewish father, the child is not considered Jewish, and must go through conversion to be considered Jewish. Unless the father is a Reform Jew, in which case the child can be recognised as Jewish without conversion (although I believe possibly Conservative & definitely Orthodox Jews would still not consider that child Jewish.)

And my favorite would be Krickstein.

Socket
04-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Aaron Krickstein.

I had a huge crush on him when I was a teen, and I loved to watch him win those 5-setters over better players (like Edberg!).

Also, one of the most exciting and competitive matches I ever saw was one he and Agassi played in the Washington tournament many years ago.

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 03:07 PM
I hate to get "technical" here, but according to Jewish law - a child born to a Jewish mother is Jewish, irregardless of the religion of the father. If a child is born to a Gentile mother and a Jewish father, the child is not considered Jewish, and must go through conversion to be considered Jewish. Unless the father is a Reform Jew, in which case the child can be recognised as Jewish without conversion (although I believe possibly Conservative & definitely Orthodox Jews would still not consider that child Jewish.)

Massu's father is a Palestinian Christian and his mother is a Hungarian Jew, as I said earlier it's his mother who is Jewish, hence why he was included in this poll.

tennisace
04-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Massu's father is a Palestinian Christian and his mother is a Hungarian Jew, as I said earlier it's his mother who is Jewish, hence why he was included in this poll.

Oh I know. Just was adding to you explaination, not disagreeing with you.

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Oh I know. Just was adding to you explaination, not disagreeing with you.

Adding something to the point and thanks for that.

Good choice with Krickstein. :p

cobalt60
04-25-2006, 03:19 PM
My fave Jewish player? Ron E :angel:
I couldn't agree more -the fav Jewish MTF player. Or one of mine.

shotgun
04-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Shlomo Glickstein. :lol:

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Shlomo Glickstein. :lol:

Fine player in the day. I mean it will disappoint people that I voted for an American in this poll.

shotgun
04-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Fine player in the day. I mean it will disappoint people that I voted for an American in this poll.

I admit I've never seen him playing though, just like his name. :p

I was expecting something like Martin Jaite from you, but at least it wasn't Gilbert the chosen American. :lol:

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 03:53 PM
I admit I've never seen him playing though, just like his name. :p

I was expecting something like Martin Jaite from you, but at least it wasn't Gilbert the chosen American. :lol:

I was going to pick Jaite, but I thought I'd go with Krickstein and as for Gilbert, I don't have many standards, but they exist.

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 04:26 PM
If we're going by the maternal standard, doesn't that exclude Gimelstob? I thought he got his Jewishness from his father's side. But I am not sure of that.

Anyhoo, I like Paul Goldstein :) But I also like Andyoni :D

FrogBurger
04-25-2006, 04:28 PM
i didnt know Gilbert was jewish.

cobalt60
04-25-2006, 04:52 PM
If we're going by the maternal standard, doesn't that exclude Gimelstob? I thought he got his Jewishness from his father's side. But I am not sure of that.

Yes I think just his dad is Jewish.

Scotso
04-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Paul :D

R.Federer
04-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Pete Sampras was part Jewish..... and he's my favorite Jewish player!

tennisace
04-25-2006, 05:23 PM

His parents could have had im converted, or perhaps they are Reform (though I'm just speculating here.) But it can get tricky. For instance, I'm Jewish, but my husband is not, and my child was adopted (from Korea - so I know he was not born to a Jewish mother.) I would have had to have converted for him to be Jewish, but since I'm Reform, I never bothered. He is, however, being raised Jewish, and if you ask him what he is, he will say he's Jewish, but technically, he is not.

R.Federer
04-25-2006, 05:26 PM
i didnt know Gilbert was jewish.
Yes, and he was frequently covered in the Israeli newspaper when he won/lost anything (I think the paper was Haretv or somehow spelt like that)

Sparko1030
04-25-2006, 05:29 PM
I voted for Massu because he was in the poll, and was totally unaware as to his background. Thanks to Sue i have more info on him. Nevertheless I must clarify that I don't think any players religion, or for that matter anyone's religion should be important or a consideration in liking that person or not. That also goes for anyone's nationality, it should absolutely not be a criterion for judging anyone.

:yeah: Exactly what I was thinking dtiger!!!!

As for Nico, I had no idea of his ethnic background when I started being a fan of his and when I found out it made no difference. I think of him as Chilean and I suspect that is how he see's himself.

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 05:30 PM
His parents could have had im converted, or perhaps they are Reform (though I'm just speculating here.) But it can get tricky. For instance, I'm Jewish, but my husband is not, and my child was adopted (from Korea - so I know he was not born to a Jewish mother.) I would have had to have converted for him to be Jewish, but since I'm Reform, I never bothered. He is, however, being raised Jewish, and if you ask him what he is, he will say he's Jewish, but technically, he is not.oh, I know. I wasn't the one who brought up the maternal stuff, but if that was the criteria for the thread, then Justin shouldn't be included. I'm pretty sure he considers himself to be Jewish. My best friend from childhood is mixed and he absolutely considers himself jewish (well his mom is jewish ok maybe that's not the best example lol). I don't think Massu considers himself Jewish, does he? but that's why GWH said he put him in the poll, so by that logic Gimelstob shouldn't be.

Of course, we could go on about the serious danger of identifying people as Jewish merely by their descent and not what they identify themselves to be, but that's not appropriate for GM ;)I think of him as Chilean and I suspect that is how he see's himself.I don't understand - "Chilean" and "Jewish" are not mutually exclusive. He could be both Chilean and Jewish. I am both American and Jewish. in fact at Davis Cup I saw a large Chilean family who all wore jewelry with Jewish symbols, so obviously there is some sort of Jewish community in Chile.

tennisace
04-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Maybe he considers himself both. Some people do. Plus he participated in the Maccabiah Games.

" Massu Records Double Gold!
August 22, 2004--Chile's Nicolas Massu won his second gold in tennis singles Sunday evening after winning a gold in doubles late Saturday night. Massu is a veteran of the Maccabiah Games and is currently ranked 24th in the ATP. Both gold medals were the first ever won by a Chilean athlete."

DhammaTiger
04-25-2006, 05:58 PM
please GWH i wish a poll for atheists as well :cool: Yes,
I agree with you and why not? while we are at it there should be a poll for players who believe in Santa Claus, and the tooth fairy. This categorisation and putting people in boxes is totally absurd and abhorent for me. It's bad enough that we have to use passports, nationalities and gender criteria. Well all this is my opinion and if anyone wants t bash me let them go ahead, I don't mind.

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Yes,
I agree with you and why not? while we are at it there should be a poll for players who believe in Santa Claus, and the tooth fairy. This categorisation and putting people in boxes is totally absurd and abhorent for me. It's bad enough that we have to use passports, nationalities and gender criteria. Well all this is my opinion and if anyone wants t bash me let them go ahead, I don't mind.

So you think is a serious thread, then? If so, then have a look at the favourite lefities thread and your answer is there.

cobalt60
04-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Maybe he considers himself both. Some people do. Plus he participated in the Maccabiah Games.

" Massu Records Double Gold!
August 22, 2004--Chile's Nicolas Massu won his second gold in tennis singles Sunday evening after winning a gold in doubles late Saturday night. Massu is a veteran of the Maccabiah Games and is currently ranked 24th in the ATP. Both gold medals were the first ever won by a Chilean athlete."
He considers himself ethnically as mixed although please see my first post. He does not practice the Jewish religion and was raised in the Catholic church.

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 06:10 PM
So you think is a serious thread, then? If so, then have a look at the favourite lefities thread and your answer is there.You started a thread based in religion and meant it as some kind of a joke? while I may identify with lefties just as much as I identify with Jews, I don't really think you can compare the two things? I mean, people take religion seriously.

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 06:17 PM
You started a thread based in religion and meant it as some kind of a joke? while I may identify with lefties just as much as I identify with Jews, I don't really think you can compare the two things? I mean, people take religion seriously.

How is this a serious thread? I am not having a go at Jewish players or even close to it.

These players that were mentioned in this poll happened to be Jewish and who was the favourite out of this list. Nothing more and nothing less.
If someone wants to overract to that and read into something that doesn't exist, then that's fine with me.

DhammaTiger
04-25-2006, 06:20 PM
You started a thread based in religion and meant it as some kind of a joke? while I may identify with lefties just as much as I identify with Jews, I don't really think you can compare the two things? I mean, people take religion seriously.
very well said :yeah: I wish i could good rep you but unfortunately I have run out of it but here is to say you hit the nail on the head. Religion is a personal matter and is not appropriate to be made fun of even on mtf!! many people through the centuries have lost their lives because they were categorised according to their religion. Also I frankly do not see the comparison with being a lefty or a blonde.

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 06:21 PM
How is this a serious thread? I am not having a go at Jewish players or even close to it.I didn't say you were, but I think you could logically have anticipated that some serious discussion would result from it, that's just how religion is. It's nothing bad, which is good; I just don't think anyone could expect to start a thread with religion as the basis and not expect that some serious discussion would ensue. Religion just brings that out in a lot of people.very well said :yeah: I wish i could good rep you but unfortunately I have run out of it but here is to say you hit the nail on the head. Religion is a personal matter and is not appropriate to be made fun of even on mtf!! many people through the centuries have lost their lives because they were categorised according to their religion. Also I frankly do not see the comparison with being a lefty or a blonde.
Yep exactly, glad you understood my point. That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with this thread and no one's been made fun of I don't think. I just think you have to expect that some people will take it seriously.

Fee
04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Yes, Justin has a Christian mother, and he acknowledges that he is a 'half-Christian, half-Jew' by heritage, but he has been Bar Mitzvahed so he is Jewish. He's in the Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in assorted states, and they wouldn't take him if he wasn't considered a true Jew.

shotgun
04-25-2006, 06:24 PM
I don't understand - "Chilean" and "Jewish" are not mutually exclusive. He could be both Chilean and Jewish. I am both American and Jewish. in fact at Davis Cup I saw a large Chilean family who all wore jewelry with Jewish symbols, so obviously there is some sort of Jewish community in Chile.

Yep, I remember a good Jewish Chilean football player in the 90's, Rosenthal. He was outstanding as a junior but failed to have a remarkable career as an adult.

Deboogle!.
04-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Yes, Justin has a Christian mother, and he acknowledges that he is a 'half-Christian, half-Jew' by heritage, but he has been Bar Mitzvahed so he is Jewish. He's in the Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in assorted states, and they wouldn't take him if he wasn't considered a true Jew.Then, those organizations must be based in Reform... b/c maybe except for some really progressive conservatives, they're the only ones who'd consider him a "true Jew" :p (incidentally I didn't mean to call Justin's heritage into question, I merely used it to refute GWH's logic for who to include in his poll.;))

Fee
04-25-2006, 06:27 PM
I never said that you did, I was just answering the general discussion that took place in this thread (and that's why I didn't quote anyone in particular).

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 06:30 PM
I didn't say you were, but I think you could logically have anticipated that some serious discussion would result from it, that's just how religion is. It's nothing bad, which is good; I just don't think anyone could expect to start a thread with religion as the basis and not expect that some serious discussion would ensue. Religion just brings that out in a lot of people.
Yep exactly, glad you understood my point. That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with this thread and no one's been made fun of I don't think. I just think you have to expect that some people will take it seriously.

As I said if someone wants to overread what has gone on in this thread, then that is their problem alone. At the same time it does help reconfirm in many ways why I don't like religion, but the point of this thread has been made clear often enough.

Justin deserves to be among the list, just as much as Massu does :)

surfpinky
04-25-2006, 06:30 PM
justin....I know some of you may be shocked by that. d:

Action Jackson
04-25-2006, 06:41 PM
Yep, I remember a good Jewish Chilean football player in the 90's, Rosenthal. He was outstanding as a junior but failed to have a remarkable career as an adult.

He had a lot of injuries, then there was the great Rodrigo Goldberg that is such a cool name. He is Chilean and played in the Israeli league.

NATAS81
04-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Any thread including Gilbert is just about a sure thing.

zicofirol
04-25-2006, 07:04 PM
I understood this thread as being jewish in the ethnic sense not religion, many jews call themselves jewish even though they are secular so everyone complaining about this thread STFU.

cobalt60
04-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Not to make this discussion even more serious or anything, but it's interesting to see how different lines of Judaism take different stances on who's a "real Jew" and who's not. It's always seemed problematic to me to try and imbue religion with a hereditary component, especially if members of the religion can't agree on what qualifies you for that inheritance. Seems like it should be more of a personal thing than some arbitrary rules that not everyone in that religion agrees with anyway.

But then, I'm agnostic/borderline atheist, so what do I know? ;)

Oh, and to keep this somewhat on topic, I vote for Erlich/Ram. ;)
Andy and Yoni :woohoo: ;) I for one refuse to take anything serious on MTF today. Just me. Just today:p

CooCooCachoo
04-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Yoni & Andy.

shotgun
04-25-2006, 07:13 PM
He had a lot of injuries, then there was the great Rodrigo Goldberg that is such a cool name. He is Chilean and played in the Israeli league.

Never heard about this guy. :p

Rozental was unlucky with all those injuries, he could have taken part in that national team in 98 alongside Salas and Zamorano. I think it remains being Chile's best generation in football so far.

momo
04-25-2006, 07:47 PM

Ironicly, Goldberg is not jewish from either side, despite the name and playing
in Israel.

Socket
04-25-2006, 08:38 PM
BTW, Aaron Krickstein (current poll front runner in the non-other category) was once married to Dean Goldfine's sister, Teri.