What does Nadal have to improve... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What does Nadal have to improve...

oz_boz
04-25-2006, 11:59 AM
...for grass success? Not that he will surely achieve it, but what are his problems on grass? I've never seen him play on grass. Does he stand to far back, does he use too much backswing, is he not able to hit flat, volley or whatever?

TheMightyFed
04-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Change his grip, do smaller steps to avoid sliding, get better volleys...
People say that either you know or don't know how to play on grass.
It will take a Lendlian effort for Rafa to improve on grass, but his quest for a Wimby might be quite long, especially with Fed around...

Duncan
04-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Nadal will never win Wimbledon(famous last words?) Any player in the top 75 has a chance of taking him out on grass

wimbledonfan
04-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Nadal is the inverse of Sampras . I think he'll win 3 out of 3 slams in his career but wimbledon will be an elusive tournament for him .

wimbledonfan
04-25-2006, 12:48 PM
oops I meant 3 out of 4 slams

oz_boz
04-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Nadal will never win Wimbledon(famous last words?) Any player in the top 75 has a chance of taking him out on grass

You are not giving an answer to my question. To be successful on grass doesn't necessarily mean winning Wimbledon. Let's say SF instead, equalling Roger's RG success.

bokehlicious
04-25-2006, 02:04 PM
You are not giving an answer to my question. To be successful on grass doesn't necessarily mean winning Wimbledon. Let's say SF instead, equalling Roger's RG success.

Roger will achieve at least a runner up in the FO :o

Nadal's huge topspin is uneffective on grass with the low rebound, that's another problem he'll have to deal with...

blue249
04-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Nadal plays very agressively and is not afraid of the net both important qualaties for grass.

I think he needs to develop that great lefty serve (ala McEnroe) and go for more in the mid-court ending points with winners.

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
04-25-2006, 02:10 PM
his english... for the speech at the winner ceremony in Wimby... in case :p

stebs
04-25-2006, 04:47 PM
He needs to become more confident about coming to the net. He has good natural skills at the net and he can use it to his advantage because that heavy topspin will be useful as an approach shot against some players on grass.

Obviously the big one is his serve and I think it will improve, it has already come on leaps and bounds since last year and I think in two years time his serve could be pretty damn good.

Also, I think he needs to have the will to accept he will need to change his whole style to do well on grass. His game is awesome and he can do well everywhere but it won't work to stand so far back on grass.

jenanun
04-25-2006, 04:57 PM
i still think... if hewitt or agassi can win wimbledon, why can't nadal? i know hewitt and agassi has very different game to nadal, but they dont have big serve, not good volleyer..... of course, a good draw and luck is important as well.... i still believe one day he can win.... coz i have FAITH....