Nadal...His Presence Solidifys Federer's Legacy [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal...His Presence Solidifys Federer's Legacy

sawan66278
04-23-2006, 10:45 PM
I am a strong proponent, as I have mentioned in the past, that I believe that Sampras was the greatest player ever...not the most complete, but the best...Why? Because of the MANY Hall of Famers and Future Hall of Hamers he competed against...

Nadal, by proving to be a true threat to Federer, is the best antidote to the above-arguement....Roger (and men's tennis) needs a truly great rival...one who can push him to the highest levels...one who is not afraid to look at the Grand Master in the face...one who respects, but does not fear the world #1...On his march to and through history, the record books are often evaluated by the level of competition...

Now, after a few years of sorry threats like Roddick, Hewitt, and the like...we have the challenger...Both will benefit in the annals of history...and so shall we as viewers... :)

Allez
04-23-2006, 10:49 PM
I agree on everything you said aside from the part about Sampras being the greatest ever. But Rafa is going to be one of the all time greats, so IF Rogi manages to beat Sampras' record then all these clows saying he doesn't have any credible competition (clows like Pete) will have no valid basis for their sorry arguments...

Leo
04-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Federer won't benefit if Nadal takes away his Grand Slam trophies. ;)

Allez
04-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Federer won't benefit if Nadal takes away his Grand Slam trophies. ;)

At first that's what I thought too, until I realised that Sampras still won 14 slams despite Andre winning 8. So all is not lost yet...I hope.

Veronique
04-23-2006, 10:55 PM
I hope they get to face each other more often than they have so far. Nadal has given Fed great matches even on hardcourt. So I'm hopeful that he can challenge him at both the USO and the Aussie.

Leo
04-23-2006, 10:59 PM
At first that's what I thought too, until I realised that Sampras still won 14 slams despite Andre winning 8. So all is not lost yet...I hope.

I agree. I think Nadal's presence makes Federer's chances at Roland Garros maybe ten times harder, but it would be very difficult anyway. And he'll still be the favorite at the other 3 Slams for years, because I don't see Nadal becoming as consistent a threat on faster surfaces. And Sampras reached 14 Slams and is often considered the greatest ever without a Roland Garros title, so Roger can do the same.

dkw
04-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Nadal, by proving to be a true threat to Federer, is the best antidote to the above-arguement....Roger (and men's tennis) needs a truly great rival...one who can push him to the highest levels...one who is not afraid to look at the Grand Master in the face...one who respects, but does not fear the world #1...On his march to and through history, the record books are often evaluated by the level of competition...

:confused:

What's thoses stages of grief again... denial, anger, bargining (see above)... can we just get to the acceptance part already.

morningglory
04-24-2006, 01:21 AM
or vice versa?
Federer's presence solidifies Nadal's legacy? ;) we will see...

richie21
04-24-2006, 11:20 AM
I agree. I think Nadal's presence makes Federer's chances at Roland Garros maybe ten times harder, but it would be very difficult anyway. And he'll still be the favorite at the other 3 Slams for years, because I don't see Nadal becoming as consistent a threat on faster surfaces. And Sampras reached 14 Slams and is often considered the greatest ever without a Roland Garros title, so Roger can do the same.

i think Gasquet will eventually become the main threat for Rodger on faster surfaces.....but not before 1 or 2 years. :)
actually ,i think that the fact that Richard had his first good results on Clay is purely a coincidence for me as his game seems to be obviously a lot more suited to faster surfaces.
95% of time,Richard hits flat shots,you rarely see him putting spin in his shots both in his forehand and backhand.....and now he even begins to go more and more often to the net.