Nadal now leads Fed 4-1 H2H, does he own him? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal now leads Fed 4-1 H2H, does he own him?

liuxuan
04-23-2006, 10:06 PM
I know it was kinda expected, but Nadal beat Federer in 4 sets today in the monaco final. He now leads their head to head 4-1. Considering the unbelievable regard in which Roger is held throughout the world, everyone think hes just wins wins wins, and dominates completely. This is 99% true, except for when he has to face Rafa.

former champions and respected tennis pundits have said the last couple of years will be looked on as one of the most dominant times of mens tennis. Again, this is mostly true, but how can it be described as a totally dominant period when the #1 player has a 1-4 record over the #2?

all this after roger said about Nadal - hes quite one dimensional.

I think Roger is gonna have to work work work or else he can kiss goodbye to roland garrosIt might end up another Sampras situation, as Nadal isnt going to decline, hes going to keep imrpoving. I honestly think the only way in hell Roger will win the french is if someone else beats Nadal, i cant see him doing it on clay.

However, by the same token, I also think, the only way Roger wont win wimbledon or the us open is if someone else breaks his wrist.

I have a huge respect for both guys. No doubt in my mind Roger is most awsome player ever probably, Nadal is also amazing, and he is HOT! hehe and also mega exciting to watch.

I think he may have gotten into Rogers head a little, I think Roger will fear him a lot more than he will fear Roger, howeverr, if we are in such a 'period of dominance of one player' as is the way the whole world seems to think it is in the mens game right now, shouldnt that statement be laughed out of court?

Havok
04-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Yes Nadal owns Roger at this very moment. He also should have beaten him in the Miami finals, still can't believe he choked that match away :o. Though I don't see Nadal completely owning Roger for the rest of their careers, Roger will eventually know how to deal with Rafa's game and finally start to get a few wins in here and there.

Jogy
04-23-2006, 10:32 PM
:lol: Nadal complete owns Federer big time :yeah: ... it's already 4-1 and many more wins from Nadal to come. When Nadal not getting injured with playing style, I guess Federer retires with something around 5-17 in his career against Nadal :haha:

R.Federer
04-23-2006, 10:55 PM
In the language of MTF, yes this is what people would call owning a player I guess
Since there are other players who hvae winning HTH with nadal, it is most likely that this is a big psychological edge that rafal is now developing on Roge
It is all about matchups. Roge, in this sense, "owns" so many players including practically all of the remaining top 10 (other tahn rafal), but I am sure he would give a lot to at least even the H2H with rafal

Leo
04-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Nadal owns him for now, but things can always change. And I don't agree that other players have a better chance against Rafael on clay than Federer. Who does match up better? I haven't seen anyone come close as Federer did today in quite a while!

But Roland Garros will always be difficult for Roger because there are a whole handful of players who can beat him there besides just Nadal.

R.Federer
04-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Nadal owns him for now, but things can always change. And I don't agree that other players have a better chance against Rafael on clay than Federer. Who does match up better? I haven't seen anyone come close as Federer did today in quite a while!
There is not enough data to do this.. but Andreev and Gaudio do have better records than Roge does against rafel on clay

Pigpen Stinks
04-23-2006, 11:27 PM
I didn't have the privilege of seeing the match, but it sounds like it was pretty close. I have difficulty discounting Roger any chance of beating Nadal on clay. Roger seems to be getting better on clay, as he seems to get better on all surfaces.

Leo makes a good point that there are a number of players that can beat Roger on clay, unlike other surfaces. One thing about Nadal. He is supremely talented, but let's not concede the next eight Roland Garros titles to him quite yet. Over the past 15 years we've seen a number of players dominate on clay (granted, maybe not to the degree that Nadal is currently), but have difficulty sustaining that dominance over a prolonged period. A lot of people thought Courier would own the French for an extended period, but Bruguera was able to dethrone him. Then the same was thought of Bruguera but it didn't materialize. The same was thought of Ferrero. Lots of factors (particularly health) come into play.

Also, Roger lost his first five or six to Nalby and has since righted the ship. Give this rivalry time. For now, Nadal gets the edge on clay, Roger the edge on other surfaces in my book.

Jairus
04-24-2006, 12:01 AM
Has this ever happened before historically (dominant player just can't deal with the #2?)

federated
04-24-2006, 12:06 AM
I am sure that roger will figure it out, but right now rafa's definitely in his head and owns him.

Sure Fed got piqued re people bringing up the unforced error count--but a lot of the errors he made today were just nervous ones and bad misses. I mean, 78 unforced errors is just too many unforced errors, whether you are going for it or not.

*Viva Chile*
04-24-2006, 12:43 AM
When Rafa will lead 5-1 I hope to be the first one to post it in the GWH's thread :worship:

ChloeLove
04-24-2006, 12:50 AM
4-1 is pretty impressive, no one else has h2h's like that with Fed, that are recent. Rafa definitely owns Fed. Roger just can't deal with Rafa, his game forces Fed to make errors, he had almost twice as many UE's than Nadal today. However, I think it's fair to say he is improving. Todays match was awfully close. It's a great rivalry, but I can't see Fed being beat by Rafa every single time they play in the future.

heya
04-24-2006, 02:33 AM
The magical one's serve was broken 7 times. Nadal served double faults at 5-4 (which made Fed fans confident that he'd choke and then also receive bad calls on break point chances just like in MIAMI). Agassi must know the choking feeling too after he lost a break point conversion due to a bad call at 2004 Indian Wells.

Scotso
04-24-2006, 02:40 AM

But Roland Garros will always be difficult for Roger because there are a whole handful of players who can beat him there besides just Nadal.

Federer doesn't have as huge weapons as some guys... which is what troubles Nadal.

And yes, Nadal owns him.

Leo
04-24-2006, 02:47 AM
There is not enough data to do this.. but Andreev and Gaudio do have better records than Roge does against rafel on clay

Gaudio has performed awfully against Nadal for the past year. And Andreev loses to the likes of Ljubicic on clay, so yeah...

fyi
04-24-2006, 03:11 AM
Hopefully, fed will figure out nadal before he retires. :eek:

prima donna
04-24-2006, 04:30 AM
Federer doesn't have as huge weapons as some guys... which is what troubles Nadal.

And yes, Nadal owns him.

Have you lost your mind or has all logic abandoned you ?

Roger's forehand, serve and backhand are the most deadly on tour. If you're referring to weight of shot, in the future, do make yourself more clear.

Roger is lacking in that department, but a guy like Andy Roddick or James Blake, sure those types of players they have that element in their game.

Maxpowers
04-24-2006, 04:41 AM
Has this ever happened before historically (dominant player just can't deal with the #2?)

I know that Chang used to own Sampras. I saw the 92 Lipton match in person and Sampras just looked like he coudn't mentally deal with Chang's speed and shots. I checked atptennis and Chang won their first 5 matches, but after a while Sampras figured him out and ended up with a H2H record of 12-8 vs Chang, so don't discount Federer yet. He may need a few more matches to figure out how to handle that lefty spin to his backhand, but with Federer's variety and skills there is no reason he can't beat Nadal on clay eventually.

morningglory
04-24-2006, 04:48 AM
yes. but only on clay. on hard they're even and on grass Roger has the advantage

bandabou
04-24-2006, 04:59 AM
Hmm....don't know about owning, it's just to Nadal is playing the big points better than Roger right now. 4 of 18 bp vs 7-14, that tells the whole story imo. It ain't like Roger isn't getting chances, he isn't converting them. That he forced the fourth into a tiebreak, showed tremendous mental strength. He's getting closer, and I think Rafa is talking bull if he says this victory was easier than RG.

LoveFifteen
04-24-2006, 05:20 AM
Roger's forehand, serve and backhand are the most deadly on tour.

Roger does not have the deadliest backhand on tour. Nor does he have the deadliest serve on tour.

In any case, YES, Nadal owns Federer. Their head-to-head would likely be 5-0 if not for some terrible line calls at a crucial moment in the 2005 Miami final. Even so, I would say 4-1 is owning. And Nadal's about to beat Roger a few more times during the clay season.

ServeAlready81
04-24-2006, 05:32 AM
Yes he owns Federer, a 4-1 h2h including two hardcourt victories (which could've been 3).

lsy
04-24-2006, 05:47 AM
Look at the no of people here making "excuses" for even that one and only one win of Rogi vs Nadal.

Yeah, so Rogi shouldn't have let that one timeout affecting yesterday match (which btw I agree it will be :retard: to claim that has any significant effect on the match outcome at all though the intention of it? I will reserve my comment ;) ), but of course that one bad line call would have caused Nadal to lose the 4th and 5th sets in Miami convincingly.

Sure only fedtards make excuses each time he lost :yeah:

As for the question? Yes at the moment, Nadal owns Federer, no doubt.

prima donna
04-24-2006, 05:54 AM
Roger does not have the deadliest backhand on tour. Nor does he have the deadliest serve on tour.

In any case, YES, Nadal owns Federer. Their head-to-head would likely be 5-0 if not for some terrible line calls at a crucial moment in the 2005 Miami final. Even so, I would say 4-1 is owning. And Nadal's about to beat Roger a few more times during the clay season.

Name someone with better placement with regard to the service.

Let me guess, the guy in your avatar. All speed and no placement.

As for backhands, his backhand is only eclipsed maybe by Gasquet or Haas on their best days, one need not forget Safin's backhand.

Each one of Roger's shots are absolutely deadly, that's why he's 130 and 6 since the 2004 Olympics, not because his shots are average.

Have a seat and stay awhile.

dEcu_RF
04-24-2006, 06:18 AM
Nadal rely too much on his physical fitness to win and his game style is way injury-prone, he's still young.. his body recovers quite quickly and that's not seen as much of a problem now..but as more long-term injuries get in the way, he'll not be able anymore to play the way he's playing now.... that's sure going to play too big a role in how their rivalry will play out over the years. I think it's not so much about Federer figuring out Nadal but more about Nadal not being able to Keep up his current level.

heya
04-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Keep hoping. Then again, Nadal doesn't depend on desperate fibbing, trash talking, short rallies, quick aces, bad umpiring, strong legs, thin long arms and wrist flexibilty.

jacobhiggins
04-24-2006, 07:40 AM
All the greats had someone who owned them for a while. Federer has trouble with Nadal but Federer will figure him out eventually. Federer is the greatest talent the game has ever seen and he adjusts to players. Look what he has done to Hewitt and Agassi, it took him a while but he figured them out!

almouchie
04-24-2006, 07:46 AM
Nadal rely too much on his physical fitness to win and his game style is way injury-prone, he's still young.. his body recovers quite quickly and that's not seen as much of a problem now..but as more long-term injuries get in the way, he'll not be able anymore to play the way he's playing now.... that's sure going to play too big a role in how their rivalry will play out over the years. I think it's not so much about Federer figuring out Nadal but more about Nadal not being able to Keep up his current level.

u do have a point
atm Nadal definitely has the upper hand & not just on clay
he has been palying federer well in hardcourts

the kid is so fast & recovers well
u just hope his doesnt get injured a lot or soon
as he does have the tendency

I thought Roddick would too early in his career, breaking down in RG
but he has been well injury wise

federer has this chance at RG
2 more chances, in the coming years as at 27 he would peak
& if Nadal isnt the threat in those years , someone else will come up

OddJob
04-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Of course Rafa owns Fed! But the only ones who seem not to realize that are his fans even Jesus knows. :lol:

jacobhiggins
04-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Saying Federer will peak at 27 is really an off the wall remark, who knows when he will peak?

Nadal's style will take his toll on him and while he will never be as great as Federer or some of the other all time greats, his career will not last as long, but he can make his mark on clay and could become the greatest clay court player of all time, not the best player, but maybe the best on clay!

denisgiann
04-24-2006, 08:47 AM
I think the intensity of Nadals game will fade significantly after maybe two years.The way he plays and his style of playing isnt too good for the body in the long run.Now he is 19 but after a couple of years he wont be phisically able to produce the same results.I think there was also an Agassi comment about that.I see him after a couple of years like Moya or JCF.Burned and average ;) .

Monteque
04-24-2006, 10:08 AM
I know that Chang used to own Sampras. I saw the 92 Lipton match in person and Sampras just looked like he coudn't mentally deal with Chang's speed and shots. I checked atptennis and Chang won their first 5 matches, but after a while Sampras figured him out and ended up with a H2H record of 12-8 vs Chang, so don't discount Federer yet. He may need a few more matches to figure out how to handle that lefty spin to his backhand, but with Federer's variety and skills there is no reason he can't beat Nadal on clay eventually.

THIS IS :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
the best post in thread.

i don't want to compare this but in similar case look the way how Fed did huge reversal to Hewitt.
Like Nadal, Hewitt got the first 5 matches and topped Fed 4-1 even furthermore up to 7-2. But after that 9 matches, Fed beat him also 9 matches consecutively.

So i hope Nadal isn't same fate with Hewitt in the future.

Mimi
04-24-2006, 10:19 AM
chang beat pete 5 straight times, i guess there were before pete reached no.1? :confused: after pete reached no.1, he won more of their matches, its the same as hewitt vs roger, hewitt won most matches when roger was still not no.1 and still was not as good as he is now, but its a bit different from nadal vs roger coz i think roger is at his best now, almost unbeatable, but nadal still managed to beat him 4 times, his wins over roger worth more than the wins from hewitt on roger :cool:
QUOTE=Hearts]THIS IS :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
the best post in thread.

i don't want to compare this but in similar case look the way how Fed did huge reversal to Hewitt.
Like Nadal, Hewitt got the first 5 matches and topped Fed 4-1 even furthermore up to 7-2. But after that 9 matches, Fed beat him also 9 matches consecutively.

So i hope Nadal isn't same fate with Hewitt in the future.[/QUOTE]

wimbledonfan
04-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Excellent point mimi .

name_change
04-24-2006, 01:04 PM
i keep thinking "coulda been 5-0"

:mad:

Liverpool4ever
04-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Hewitt at his best retrieved on grass and the US open comparatively as well as Nadal on clay. Hewitt is actually one of the few players in the history of the game, who could match Agassi purely from the baseline. However, Hewitt does not have that one shot to hurt Federer with, unlike Nadal. When Federer takes control of a point against Hewitt he knows that even if he does not hit a winner further along down the rally he will once again get another chance. Now with Nadal if Federer does not put the shot away Nadal will take control and Nadal will win the point. So mentally that has to add a lot of pressure on Federer knowing that he could in theory loose any point at any time. This is made worse, by Federer's short slice having no real effect on Nadal and being very difficult to pull off anyway due to the weight of his opponents shots.

Federer has said it was a fitness issue with Hewitt and he had to learn to be patient and go the distance with him. I think with Nadal it's not a fitness issue (in my opinion Nadal was more tired than Federer in the 4th) nor a mental issue like people like to claim (Nadal really choked the second set away and Federer just seemed stronger to me), but sadly a game issue and he needs to improve to solve.

Merton
04-24-2006, 02:42 PM
No but he is the solid favourite on clay.

white&blue
04-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Yes, Nadal owns Federer.

If somebody can hit high top spin to Roger's backhand, Federer is in trouble. He can't do anything with his one-handed backhand and then he gets frustrated. That's why he makes so many UEs everytime he is on court with Rafa. On clay Nadal makes Federer look unsure.

Duncan
04-24-2006, 03:35 PM
No

stebs
04-24-2006, 03:36 PM
In a sense I would say yes but in a sense I would say no.

Of course the head to head says it all and Nadal has won against Federer even on his favourite surface. However, it really depends what you define as 'owns'. If you mean the same as dominates then no. Rafa doesn't dominate Federer.

One of his victories was extremely close (Dubai), and the match yesterday, although a fairly comfortable and deserved victory for Nadal went to four sets and it was 2 points away from being a five setter. That isn't an easy match by any manner of means.

Black Adam
04-24-2006, 03:38 PM
I also think seeing how the surface is at AO (ace rebound seems to favor topspin players), Fed might have problems with Nadal at in Melbourne.

TheMightyFed
04-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Remember this guys, we can say that Becker owns Edberg with a 25-10 H2H. Nevertheless, the H2H is 1-3 for Edberg in Slams... BTW strangely enough they never played each other neither in AO or USO :eek:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/headtohead/head2head.asp?player1=Edberg%2C+Stefan&player2=Becker%2C+Boris&playernum2=B028

In Slams Fed is 0-1 against Rafa, this H2H is what counts in the grand scheme of things. The rest is just tune up.

almouchie
04-24-2006, 04:30 PM
there is one problem that the otherwise invincible world no. 1 cannot quite solve. For the last year, the man who does everything well has been perplexed by the 19-year-old Spaniard Rafael Nadal, whose arsenal consists, for the most part, of two weapons: a ferocious topspin forehand and his feet.[U]
do u think thats true as far as nadal's weapons

Hingie
04-24-2006, 08:21 PM
I think that this is a very unfair assumption because their head to head is skewed in Nadal's favor due to the surface that they have played on. They have NEVER played on a fast surface before. Miami is one of the slowest and highest bouncing hard courts. The indoor court that they played on was relatively slow. The other two times have been on clay. I think that we can all agree that if they had played on faster surfaces such as grass, the U.S Open, or some of the other American hardcourts like Indian Wells or the Masters Championships, Federer would have a much better record against Nadal. Problem is that Nadal isn't reaching the finals on the surfaces that he is not good at. He isn't good enough on those surfaces to get by better fast surface players, let alone be able to beat the best of them all. Federer however is good enough to reach at least the finals to play Nadal, who is clearly the best of the slow surface players. Thus, we have to give Federer credit just to even make these match-ups happen, even if the surfaces clearly favor Nadal. I think that people would be jumping the gun now by saying that Nadal owns Roger based on a 4-1 record on purely slow surfaces. If they played on grass today, I see a Federer beatdown of Nadal of maybe 2 and 2. Same if they played on the faster hard courts. Point is, Federe is the king of the fast stuff. Nadal is king of the slow stuff. What differentiates the two is that Federer is very good on the slow stuff, but Nadal is average at best on the fast stuff.

dylan24
04-24-2006, 08:23 PM
yes, federer is nadal's bitch
just like the rest of the atp (except for nadal) are roger's bitches

ezekiel
04-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Roger Federer disagrees with you :devil:

FEDERER: RAFA NOT BETTER THAN ME (http://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=international_feed/06/04/24/TENNIS_Swi-Federer.html)
http://www.teamtalk.com/Images/56227.jpg
Roger Federer can't seem to beat Rafael Nadal when the two face each other on clay but the world number one is not unduly concerned.

Nadal, who beat Federer on his way to the French Open title last year, prevailed against the Swiss in the Monte Carlo Masters final on Sunday.

Federer, who also lost to Nadal in Dubai in March on a hard court and has won just one of their five meetings, said of the 6-2 6-7 (2/7) 6-3 7-6 (7/5) loss in L'Equipe: "Of course I would have liked to have won all those matches but those defeats haven't broken my will and I hope to end this run.

"My main priority is to avoid being defeated by Nadal in a Grand Slam. What's important is that I am still 2,000 points ahead of him in the world rankings."

Federer dismisses talk that Nadal is the superior player when the two meet on clay.

"I don't think he is better than me on clay, I would say we are even," Federer said.

"I have adapted my game in order to challenge him on that surface. Of course I did not manage to beat him at Monte Carlo, but I was very close to winning the fourth set."[/SIZE]

The French Open is less than a month away, and Federer said: "This tournament ended up being very positive for me ... I feel that playing against Nadal again allowed me to answer many questions on my game and certainly improve it."

dylan24
04-24-2006, 08:36 PM
well its good that roger remains confident.

tennisman.
04-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Nadal is not even close to Roger.
Hopefully they will meet in Wimbledon,then all the Nadal fans realise that he is faaaar from Roger

jenanun
04-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Nadal is not even close to Roger.
Hopefully they will meet in Wimbledon,then all the Nadal fans realise that he is faaaar from Roger

that will be the best day for all nadal fans! nadal in wimbledon final!!!!!!!!!

dont care how federer beat nadal, but nadal in wimbledon final......

heya
04-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Hewitt's talent and modesty compared to Nadal's is like Federer's good looks, intellect and charisma compared to Roddick's.

rofe
04-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Hewitt's talent and modesty compared to Nadal's is like Federer's good looks, intellect and charisma compared to Roddick's.

Heya, I don't understand most of your posts but I love you just the same. :kiss:

liuxuan
04-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Heya, I don't understand most of your posts but I love you just the same. :kiss:

hes basically saying Andy's gorgeous, and feds not (true), and that Nadals game compared to Hewitts is like Andys looks compared to rogers.

LoveFifteen
04-25-2006, 06:37 AM
Name someone with better placement with regard to the service.

Let me guess, the guy in your avatar. All speed and no placement.

As for backhands, his backhand is only eclipsed maybe by Gasquet or Haas on their best days, one need not forget Safin's backhand.

Each one of Roger's shots are absolutely deadly, that's why he's 130 and 6 since the 2004 Olympics, not because his shots are average.

Have a seat and stay awhile.

I don't think Andy has a better serve than Roger. I just think Andy is hot ... that's why he's in my avatar. He blows as a tennis player.

Roger's serve, forehand, and backhand are excellent. But I don't think his backhand's the best on tour. Nor the serve.

Castafiore
04-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Oh man, I would love this because that would mean that Nadal is able to go very far in Wimbledon and at this point, I'm not at all sure about that, at least: not in the near future anyway but he's welcome to prove me wrong. :)

Frankly speaking, I think that most Nadal fans are realistic enough to realise that Roger is still the maestro :worship: and the more accomplished all-court player.
Of course, Rafa's fans are very happy with his victory this Sunday (any fan would be happy with a victory over the number one player): surely, everybody can understand that?

Frederick16
04-25-2006, 07:34 AM
nadal has the advantage that he always be kicked out the tournie on carpet and grass or other speedy indoor courts before he will meet roger... i think thomas muster could also have 10 - 1 against pete when it was on clay.. but on other courts..

Frederick16
04-25-2006, 07:34 AM
but offcourse i am 'ferry gappie' for rafa!

fyi
04-25-2006, 08:21 AM
that will be the best day for all nadal fans! nadal in wimbledon final!!!!!!!!!

dont care how federer beat nadal, but nadal in wimbledon final......

Agreed with you, jenanun.

:worship:

A_Skywalker
04-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Juanes - la camisa negra for all the forumers :) . And yes , Nadal rulez

oz_boz
04-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Yes, at the moment Nadal owns Federer, which is underlined by the nervousness of Federer on court and his stating, slightly desperately, that Nadal is not necessarily better than him on clay. When Fed plays Nadal, he looks like Fed ca 2001 - a talented headcase going for too much. You would guess that Nadal is the older and more mature player...cred to him for making Fed shattered and doubting his own invinicibility. I just wonder why Federer cannot take advantage of being the underdog.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-25-2006, 11:10 AM
On clay and on slow HC,he owns Federer for sure! :rocker2:

yanchr
04-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Yes, at the moment Nadal owns Federer, which is underlined by the nervousness of Federer on court and his stating, slightly desperately, that Nadal is not necessarily better than him on clay. When Fed plays Nadal, he looks like Fed ca 2001 - a talented headcase going for too much. You would guess that Nadal is the older and more mature player...cred to him for making Fed shattered and doubting his own invinicibility. I just wonder why Federer cannot take advantage of being the underdog.
He said it clearly, because he is NOT the underdog...

I now actually find Roger, at least his words, a little bit funny. Sounds to me a pig-headed child keeps claiming himself to be a grown-up while everybody else indicates to him that you are still a child, and he gets annoyed...Oh well, the child will finally be a grown-up anyway and everybody will admit it :devil:

oz_boz
04-25-2006, 11:31 AM
He said it clearly, because he is NOT the underdog...

I now actually find Roger, at least his words, a little bit funny. Sounds to me a pig-headed child keeps claiming himself to be a grown-up while everybody else indicates to him that you are still a child, and he gets annoyed...Oh well, the child will finally be a grown-up anyway and everybody will admit it :devil:

Yep. What I think is funny with Roger is that he seems to be at his best when he is sure (not just stubbornly claiming) that he is the favourite, contrary to most players who see it as an advantage being the slight underdog, having nothing to lose.

heya
04-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Not every guy can have people blindly worshipping his every right and wrong move. What makes a true champion is what he says and does. A winner doesn't need to
lie--to use scare tactics to bring down his opponents' reputation and effort level. It must be nice to watch the media intimidate your opponents and before a match, witness a weakened player on the other side of the net.

yanchr
04-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Yep. What I think is funny with Roger is that he seems to be at his best when he is sure (not just stubbornly claiming) that he is the favourite, contrary to most players who see it as an advantage being the slight underdog, having nothing to lose.
That's why he is Roger. He enjoys his dominance, enjoys winning all the time, enjoys the fact that he is the best, and says it openly from time to time. He simply found it hard to accept there is sb better than him out there. That also explains why he said he was mentally hurt after 05 AO semi final, cuz he found that there could be sb truly better than him. You can feel he takes huge self-pride. Sth to do with his personality I guess. In general, he has some ego in himself.

Not that I don't like it though ;)

oz_boz
04-25-2006, 12:05 PM
That's why he is Roger. He enjoys his dominance, enjoys winning all the time, enjoys the fact that he is the best, and says it openly from time to time. He simply found it hard to accept there is sb better than him out there. That also explains why he said he was mentally hurt after 05 AO semi final, cuz he found that there could be sb truly better than him. You can feel he takes huge self-pride. Sth to do with his personality I guess. In general, he has some ego in himself.

Not that I don't like it though ;)

You're right, he enjoys being the best. But at some moments earlier in his career he has had to face the fact that he is not the best, and then gradually turn things over. Let's see if he can do it this time. I hope and guess so :)