Interesting comments from Feds about why he can't beat Nadal [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Interesting comments from Feds about why he can't beat Nadal

Tennis Fool
04-23-2006, 07:41 PM
From yesterday's press conference...

Q. What do you remember of last year's match in Paris with Rafael ? What do you remember you did well or not well?

ROGER FEDERER: I thought it was a shaky start, I remember. I remember that I played excellent in the second set, allowed him to come back, and still won the set. But I thought maybe by closing out the second set earlier, it would have given me a great edge in the third. I remember having a break in the fourth and going crazy about the conditions, you know, being too dark. And that totally confused me towards the end of the match where I knew I was not going to be able to win the match on that day. So I knew if any way I win the fourth, I've got to come back the following day, and there I wasn't just -- somehow not confident enough that I'm gonna win that set and win again tomorrow. It was like I had to beat him twice, and that sort of freaked me out. I thought we should have stopped but, you know, referees, they take decisions, and I was against it, so it was a pity.

From today's press conference (not yet available online)
"He's a lefty, so I'm always going to have problems," Federer said.

Feds is now 1-4 to Nadal. One more loss and it's pidgeon territory :o

Tennis Fool
04-24-2006, 01:52 AM
I didn't post this for my health, people :p

buddyholly
04-24-2006, 02:19 AM
Fed can beat Nadal - and did at NASDAQ 2005. The reason the other matches were on clay is that Fed is good enough to go deep enough in the tournaments to eventually meet Nadal in the final, like today. On other surfaces their meeting is less likely because Rafa is not good enough to get to the final. Example: NASDAQ 2006.
So Fed is still way ahead of Rafa and would wipe him out on hard or grass, but their meeting is unlikely because Rafa would have to get to the final.

Tennis Fool
04-24-2006, 02:35 AM
Fed can beat Nadal - and did at NASDAQ 2005. The reason the other matches were on clay is that Fed is good enough to go deep enough in the tournaments to eventually meet Nadal in the final, like today. On other surfaces their meeting is less likely because Rafa is not good enough to get to the final. Example: NASDAQ 2006.
So Fed is still way ahead of Rafa and would wipe him out on hard or grass, but their meeting is unlikely because Rafa would have to get to the final.
Thanks for posting :yeah: ,but

:scratch: Nadal beat him in Miami in 2004 and in Doha this year, both hardcourts.

ugotlobbed
04-24-2006, 05:54 AM
he was sick in miami noob

A_Skywalker
04-24-2006, 05:59 AM

And in Dubai he was what ?

Allez
04-24-2006, 06:01 AM

And Nadal was just coming back from injury in Dubai, so :shrug:

As for the match in Paris, I had no idea Rogi was freaked out by the prospect of playing Rafa again the following day :eek: :eek: :eek: . Now I can see why he lost. No confidence. No belief that he could win. That's going to have to change.

Tennis Fool
05-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Possible next meeting in Rome.

Jairus
05-08-2006, 02:41 AM
From yesterday's press conference...

Q. What do you remember of last year's match in Paris with Rafael ? What do you remember you did well or not well?

ROGER FEDERER: I thought it was a shaky start, I remember. I remember that I played excellent in the second set, allowed him to come back, and still won the set. But I thought maybe by closing out the second set earlier, it would have given me a great edge in the third. I remember having a break in the fourth and going crazy about the conditions, you know, being too dark. And that totally confused me towards the end of the match where I knew I was not going to be able to win the match on that day. So I knew if any way I win the fourth, I've got to come back the following day, and there I wasn't just -- somehow not confident enough that I'm gonna win that set and win again tomorrow. It was like I had to beat him twice, and that sort of freaked me out. I thought we should have stopped but, you know, referees, they take decisions, and I was against it, so it was a pity.

From today's press conference (not yet available online)
"He's a lefty, so I'm always going to have problems," Federer said.

Feds is now 1-4 to Nadal. One more loss and it's pidgeon territory :o

It seems like Fed is just remembering different memories and thoughts from his matches and mentioning them. I bet it happens in every match that there are 34058304958 things that bother a player and if they lose, they could consider them a factor. I wonder how many of these influences (it was dark, etc) really contributed to the loss or are just fragmented memories that Fed remembers. I mean, how well do you remember something that happened at work, even an important event, from a year ago?

jacobhiggins
05-08-2006, 03:59 AM
They had an effect during the match, even the commentators were saying it was very very dark while they were playing!