Most alarming fall from grace... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Most alarming fall from grace...

betterthanhenman
04-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Over the last year or even more. Whose loss of form has you most perplexed?

Jimnik
04-23-2006, 07:13 PM
JCF :banghead:

betterthanhenman
04-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Sorry...decided to put 10 options up, but then struggled to think of ten players who have really lost their form, so a few names up there who maybe shouldn't be.

stebs
04-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Henman, number 4 at the end of 2004.Probably number 10939573756 by the end of 2006. :sad:

Rogiman
04-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Ferrero hands down.

LaTenista
04-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Coria used to be a king of clay, now he can only win matches when his opponents choke. :tape:

Rogiman
04-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Coria used to be a king of clay, now he can only win matches when his opponents choke. :tape:
Coria's fall hasn't been that steep, though.
Even in a dismal season like 2005 he managed to make it to 2 TMS finals (one of them an instant classic), give his best showings at both Wimbledon and USO and make it to the YEC.

He's still awesome.

Billabong
04-23-2006, 07:24 PM
JCF's loss of form started in 2004, so I would rather say Coria... He did well last year on clay, only losing to Nadal in the first 2 Masters series and Roger in Hamburg, but since then his serve has dramatically worsened... Lleyton also has trouble to get back to his 2005 AO form...

betterthanhenman
04-23-2006, 07:26 PM
What has happened to Guga has been very sad. Seeing Billabong's post reminded me of him, but he is rightly not on the list of options. If fit, he would still be kicking ass!

Eclectic Goddess
04-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Has to be Lleyton. He went from being a serious contender (for number 2, at least), to not even showing up. I miss the little bastard.

I feel like Andy is still in there. Guillermo's problems can mostly be atributed to the rise of other great clay court players. Timmy's getting old. Juan Carlos and Carlo's declines have been slow and steady, so hardly alarming. As for the rest...they weren't that great to begin with.

betterthanhenman
04-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Has to be Lleyton. He went from being a serious contender (for number 2, at least), to not even showing up. I miss the little bastard.

I feel like Andy is still in there. Guillermo's problems can mostly be atributed to the rise of other great clay court players. Timmy's getting old. Juan Carlos and Carlo's decline have been slow and steady, so hardly a great shock. As for the rest...they weren't that great to begin with.

Very true. Have to laugh at myself for the Rusedski and Fish options :p

bavaria100
04-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Although he isn't on the list, I'm quite shocked how bad Max Mirnyi has been playing for the past 8 months. He played fantastic in the first half of 2005, but he hasn't been the same since he lost to Goldstein. I hope that he is able to bounce back, but I wouldn't be surprised if he loses to Karlovic on clay next week.

Billabong
04-23-2006, 07:29 PM
What has happened to Guga has been very sad. Seeing Billabong's post reminded me of him, but he is rightly not on the list of options. If fit, he would still be kicking ass!

Exactly. Guga has been extremely unlucky with 2 hip surgeries and more recently an ankle twist... The injuries really affected his game after 2001... He still managed to get back to #13 in 2003, but after his second hip surgery it has been terrible:sad:...

betterthanhenman
04-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Exactly. Guga has been extremely unlucky with 2 hip surgeries and more recently an ankle twist... The injuries really affected his game after 2001... He still managed to get back to #13 in 2003, but after his second hip surgery it has been terrible:sad:...

Will we be seeing him in Paris this year? I mean playing, because he will definitely be there watching if he isn't competing.

Billabong
04-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Will we be seeing him in Paris this year? I mean playing, because he will definitely be there watching if he isn't competing.

I don't think so, he said he needs some special treatment for his hip (yes, his hip AGAIN) and wasn't sure about playing RG:sad: RG is his favorite tournament:sad:...

betterthanhenman
04-23-2006, 07:57 PM
I don't think so, he said he needs some special treatment for his hip (yes, his hip AGAIN) and wasn't sure about playing RG:sad: RG is his favorite tournament:sad:...

A fully fit Guga playing Nadal would have been something...

tangerine_dream
04-23-2006, 08:23 PM
My choice is in bold.

Andy Roddick - in a slump but still Top 5. May hit 6 or 7 rank after clay season. His performance on grass and the hardcourts this summer will give us a better clue as to whether he's found his mojo again or not.

Lleyton Hewitt - free-fall started last year after humiliating DC loss to Argies on home grass. Has not looked the same since; been too quiet in his matches of late. Is losing to his former bitches. Seems distracted with family duites. Miss his in-your-face "c'mooon!"s

Guillermo Coria - never quite recovered from the Roland Garros loss to Gaudio in '04. Suffered another heartbreaking clay loss to Nadal at MC last year. Seems to have lost some heart and belief in himself. Nadal owning the clay makes it that much harder to stage a comeback.

Juan Carlos Ferrero - who knew chickenpox could be so detrimental? Took over a year to recover from sickness/injuries. Play has become too erratic...great tennis one day, sucking hard the next...don't know if he still thinks he's got what it takes to win titles.

Carols Moya - he's just getting older in the legs. Will always be Lord Carlos.

Tim Henman - should have moved out of the UK years ago to get away from the self-defeating loser mentality that permeates British media. Way too much pressure put on this poor guy. Never got a break or fair shake from his own people. A shame that they will never realize what a great talent and athlete he was. Nobody plays the net like he does. Not Federer, and not any of the other s/v out there.

Rainer Schuettler - he hasn't really been a contender for over two years now. :shrug:

Mardy Fish - see above

Greg Rusedski - see above

Other - don't know him.

betterthanhenman
04-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Tim Henman - should have moved out of the UK years ago to get away from the self-defeating loser mentality that permeates British media. Way too much pressure put on this poor guy. Never got a break or fair shake from his own people. A shame that they will never realize what a great talent and athlete he was. Nobody plays the net like he does. Not Federer, and not any of the other s/v out there.

The one part of the Henman appraisal I agree with.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
04-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Murray

bad gambler
04-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Ferrero and Coria's problems started over a year ago - but I would have to go with Coria

Hewitt is a close second

shotgun
04-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Ferrero almost fell out of the top 100 by the beginning of last season, but still managed to make a comeback to the top 20. Now he's falling again, and doesn't have the excuse of an injury, so my vote goes to him.

Coria, Hewitt and Roddick are still getting good results nonetheless.

Fish got a serious injury that prevented him from playing, it's not like he lost form or anything, and he's already making a comeback, so he shouldn't be on the poll in my opinion, not to mention that he was never in the same class as the others.

The others are just approaching the 30 mark (or have already crossed), so their falls are kind of natural.

Leo
04-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Definitely Ferrero, and I think he's the best of all those players on the list. He shouldn't be where he is now.

NATAS81
04-24-2006, 01:13 AM
Where the hell is Joachim Johansson? I guess big servers take a backseat to the flambuoyance of Federer, Nadal and the top players of today.

All these people on the list are in the top hundred still, most of them are capable of beating high level players in any given tourney.

And no, JJ hasn't fully recovered yet, so we don't know what level he will be at when he starts playing a few tourneys in a row instead of this crappy one tournament and three months off schedule in which he resides.

But according to where they were, and their current ranking, he has to top the list.

Come grass season, he will probably start to play seriously again, but I'm worried because the elbow and shoulder thing can linger - even moreso with the type of game that he plays.

I expect him to rise to the top hundred by the year's end. If not, it could be another long career similar to that of JCF, which leaves me in panic.

heya
04-24-2006, 03:59 AM
Getting lucky in several matches isn't equal to "owning" an opponent. If Hewitt has bitches, then Hrbaty owns bitch Federer.

Action Jackson
04-24-2006, 07:09 AM
Federer.

megadeth
04-24-2006, 08:13 AM
nadal in 2008 :lol:

littlegirl
04-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Federer.

:confused: :lol: :haha:

almouchie
04-24-2006, 09:09 AM
I like the thread
Hewitt even at his bset, I always felt his domination will be short lived, as he was more determination, speed & consistency, than any real weapon
as for Roddick, even if he retires now with what he acheived, he should be proud of what he has done
to me it was sad seeing JCF slip sp bad
he had a great chance of winning the US open in 2004
then got sick, more injury, bad form
& it seems he cannt get back, confidence is low

OddJob
04-24-2006, 09:18 AM
I'd have to say poor JCF. :sad: He went from being #1 and the king of clay to barely winning matches. JCF seems to have rebounded but he's not the same player he use to be. :sobbing:

missbungle
04-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Federer.
who's Federer? I've forgotten

CooCooCachoo
04-24-2006, 09:31 AM
Schüttler.

connectolove
04-24-2006, 09:34 AM
What about Marat Safin?

Action Jackson
04-24-2006, 09:44 AM
who's Federer? I've forgotten

Knock Knock?
Who's there!
Federer
Federer who?
That's MTF

Pea
04-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Rodduck is an overachiever.

betterthanhenman
04-24-2006, 03:55 PM
What about Marat Safin?

Injuries.

oxy
04-24-2006, 04:21 PM
this is the first time i think JCF is leading a poll.