Domination by top 2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Domination by top 2

oz_boz
04-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Rankingpointwise, F is as undisputed as #1 as N is as #2. A closer look at their domination shows that noone else has won a tournament with both Fed and Rafa in the draw since AO 2005. Their streak looks as follows (tournament and winner):

2005:
Indian Wells, F
Miami, F
Monte Carlo, N
French Open, N
Halle, F
Wimbledon, F
Cincinatti, F
US Open, F

2006:
Dubai, N
Indian Wells, F
Miami, F
Monte Carlo, N/F

When was the last time two players dominated the tour in similar fashion? Lendl/Mac in the early 80's?

stebs
04-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Rankingpointwise, F is as undisputed as #1 as N is as #2. A closer look at their domination shows that noone else has won a tournament with both Fed and Rafa in the draw since AO 2005. Their streak looks as follows (tournament and winner):

2005:
Indian Wells, F
Miami, F
Monte Carlo, N
French Open, N
Halle, F
Wimbledon, F
Cincinatti, F
US Open, F

2006:
Dubai, N
Indian Wells, F
Miami, F
Monte Carlo, N/F

When was the last time two players dominated the tour in similar fashion? Lendl/Mac in the early 80's?

The ATP tour has never seen domination the way it is right now. It is a totally new thing for these guys to have won all of the last 4 slams. 8 of the last 9 TMS. And any other tournament they fancy winning.

Action Jackson
04-23-2006, 09:57 AM
This just proves that how much they are ahead at the moment, but like most things it's not going to last.

oz_boz
04-23-2006, 10:04 AM
This just proves that how much they are ahead at the moment, but like most things it's not going to last.

The only thing you can be sure about in history, nothing lasts forever. Except Volvo 240's.

Action Jackson
04-23-2006, 10:12 AM
The only thing you can be sure about in history, nothing lasts forever. Except Volvo 240's.

Ja, helt klart om Volvo 240.

The other players will catch up eventually, but that seems to be lost on a lot of people.

cornellboy
04-23-2006, 12:18 PM
As much of a Nadal fanboy as I am, you have to admit that the "domination by top 2" is much more about Federer than it is about Nadal - I count 9 F's and only 3 N's. For the past 12 months, Nadal has clearly been the 2nd most dominant player on tour, but let's be serious... he's only gotten past the 3rd round in one grand slam, he's lost in a few first round matches, etc. I think that a much better example of "domination by top 2" in recent years would be the Williams Sisters in 2002-2003: they met in 5 out of 6 grand slam finals in a row (including 4 in a row from RG to the following AO) while routinely mopping the floor with the rest of the field in other big tournaments as well.

Anybody wanna make a bet as to who'll be the first player to beat Nadal AND Federer in a single tournament? (And which tournament it'll be?)

oz_boz
04-23-2006, 12:33 PM
As much of a Nadal fanboy as I am, you have to admit that the "domination by top 2" is much more about Federer than it is about Nadal[...]
Anybody wanna make a bet as to who'll be the first player to beat Nadal AND Federer in a single tournament? (And which tournament it'll be?)

You're right about this. But I call it a domination of top 2 since those two have won not 90 or 99 but 100% of the tournaments both have entered. And they have extreme streaks on their favourite surfaces: Roger on grass and hardcourts, Nadal on clay.

As for the bet, I wonder who will beat BOTH of them at present. But winning a tournament where both N and F are in the draw is not as far fetched. Then it could be anyone, e.g. in US Open Blake taking out Nadal, Nalbandian taking out Roger, and Ljubicic winning the whole thing.

almouchie
04-23-2006, 01:58 PM
very interesting stats
how everyone else is sleeping on their *****
is beside me
why no one is capable to rise to the challenge is disappointing
really
if it is not FEderer, its Nadal
or else no one

Nathaliia
04-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Still good that they are not playing Slam Finals against each other, because actually the year of Williams / Belgian finals in WTA was the WTA-boredom in the nutshell.