Seeing the ball at MC -- mission impossible [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Seeing the ball at MC -- mission impossible

deliveryman
04-23-2006, 08:00 AM
Okay, before I get started on this rant, I want to point out that I have 20/20 vision, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with my eye sight.

I also want to note that I've been watching the coverage on ESPN Vivo, but I would like to hear if people have the same problem with other network's coverage.

Okay, am I the only one that cannot see the ball at all during a rally? I'll might see it for a split second when it hits the ground, but nothing when it's in the air. Seriously. It's so annoying.

And I'm not blaming ESPN Vivo either, because players play 10 feet behind the baseline on clay, they have to zoom the camera out, so you can see more of the court, thus making it smaller. Otherwise, you wouldn't see the players at all.

The balls are moving anywhere from 60-100 miles per hour.

And to top it all off, the clay at MC seems to a lot lighter than say the clay at RG. So a yellow (looks yellow anyway) ball moving on light orange clay at 100 miles per hour, with a camera that's zoomed out more than usually only equates to one thing: frustration.

I honestly think that they need to change the color of the balls, just for TV purposes. I mean -- what's the point if you can see the ball? Watching two guys swing a racket can get quite boring, if you can't follow anything.

Perhaps they should use a black ball? or a blue ball?

I know that's why they changed the surface color at the USOpen, but it's kind've hard to change the color of dirt.

Anyway, is anyone else having the same problem?

yanchr
04-23-2006, 08:13 AM
I always find it so tough to see the ball on clay, sometimes on hard court too, when I have tv coverage. That's really affecting so badly my enjoying the match.

Now I don't have tv coverage, and I have to rely on the online stream. And the only thing I can see, when the stream works well, is two people doing the gym on my screen :o

NATAS81
04-23-2006, 08:19 AM
Upgrade your 13" monitor.

CooCooCachoo
04-23-2006, 09:21 AM
It's a bit hard sometimes, but I can follow it.

deliveryman
04-23-2006, 09:48 AM
I shouldn't have to freaking squint to see the ball... it's ridiculous.

CHANGE THE BALL COLORS!~

raeesa301
04-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Sometimes I find it difficult to see the ball hit the ground on clay, and that's with glasses. :o

Sucks being short-sighted.

OddJob
04-23-2006, 11:16 AM
I was noticing this the other day too. I really wish they would change the color of the ball for clay. Things will get better when I go HD.

joeb_uk
04-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Yes, it really sucks ass! It seems to be when the light is bright, and there is alot of contrast on the court with shadows etc. It is also due to the fact that its being shot from a mountain or some helicopter. The second show court is easy to see, due to the camera being very close to the court.

I have been recording the matches through a capture card, and its also just as bad when you watch it on the pc. On the tv, you have to sit about 1metre infront of the tv to be able to follow it ok, and thats on a big widescreen tv.

joeb_uk
04-23-2006, 11:32 AM
I was noticing this the other day too. I really wish they would change the color of the ball for clay. Things will get better when I go HD.

I dont know how HDTV is there, but in europe its utter shit for fast action. Its in its primitive stages, and there are many issues with fast moving scenes. It seems ok for fairly static video. I wont get a HDTV for a few years, until they sort it out. Although, HDTV has been in usa for 6+ years, so I suspect they have mastered it by now.

Deboogle!.
04-23-2006, 02:11 PM
It's definitely this combination of coloring/camera/sun/whatever, because I watched Fed Cup (also on outdoor clay) yesterday and I could see the ball absolutely perfectly. I hope it's better for Rome and following....

rod99
04-23-2006, 02:25 PM
no problem watching on the tennis channel.

Socket
04-23-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm watching on TTC, too, and I can clearly see the ball. Try changing the settings on your monitor.

Breakaway
04-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Even on TTC it's hard for me to see the ball on the main court when it is sunny. When it is cloudy I can see it, and it's easier to see it on the second court. So yeah hopefully it will be better for the future clay court tournaments coming up. :)

joeb_uk
04-23-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm watching on TTC, too, and I can clearly see the ball. Try changing the settings on your monitor.

Yes it was ok today, perfectly normal! BUT the rest of the week it has varied. Luckily we had a good final, with sufficient quality of broadcast.

Deboogle!.
04-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Today was better than some parts throughout the tourney, but now I'm watching Fed Cup on the same channel immediately after Monte Carlo, and the ball is about 1000000 times easier to see, even than today's Monte Carlo broadcast.