Roger on Rafa: "He's quite one-dimensional" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger on Rafa: "He's quite one-dimensional"

Pages : [1] 2

nobama
04-22-2006, 11:10 PM
:singer: Ok Roger you better be able to back this up tomorrow. Otherwise... :o

MONTE CARLO, Monaco (AP) -- Roger Federer thinks the key to beating Rafael Nadal is to be ready for a fight.

"Just stay with him, for the entire time," Federer said. "I have the feeling that other guys tend not to take the physical challenge with him. That's what I won't do."

"He's quite one-dimensional with his game," Federer said. "After Dubai, I thought I actually saw the way I should play against him. The more I play him, the better it is for me."

Reaching the Monte Carlo final has "exceeded" Federer's expectations. The 24-year-old Federer feels he is ahead of schedule for the French Open -- the only major he has yet to win.

"I've got another opportunity to play him," Federer said. "It's going to give me an indication, you know, if I will play him at the French (Open)."

Federer has won the last four Masters series he has played -- at Hamburg, Cincinnati, Indian Wells and Miami -- and would extend his Masters winning run to 30 games with victory over Nadal.

The match Sunday will be their first outdoor meeting since Nadal topped Federer in the French Open semifinals last June.

Nadal's winning streak on clay is the third-longest in the Open era. However, he dropped his first set since July's final at Bastad, Sweden, against Tomas Berdych.

"I always think about victory," Nadal said. "It was very important for me to stay in this final. If I play my best I have a chance (against Federer). I'm going to play aggressively, with determination."

Only Bjorn Borg, with 46, and Vilas, with 53, have won more straight matches on clay than French Open champion Nadal.

Bad Religion
04-22-2006, 11:23 PM
You'll lose once again Vs the "one dimensional" :p :p

kapranos
04-22-2006, 11:25 PM
I agree, Fed will expose Nadal tomorrow. Another title for Fed!

Fed=ATPTourkilla
04-22-2006, 11:26 PM
I feel that, without a doubt, Roger can dominate Nadal on hard courts as he does the rest of the tour. The evidence is all there in the Dubai final - that was a match which Roger lost through his own errors and bad tactics, not a match which Nadal won.

On clay, it may be a different story; but I hope Roger can win anyway!

The Daviator
04-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Don't say things like that Roger :rolleyes:

Billabong
04-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Like I said in the Swiss forum, these were unnecessary comments from Fed:o especially before the final!

Alexiana
04-22-2006, 11:32 PM
It could be true, that he sees it that way and that it will be easier to beat Nadal in the future but comments like that are confirming the opinion of some people who think he is really arrogant...

MisterQ
04-22-2006, 11:32 PM
There have been a number of great players who could be accused of being one-dimensional. They have simply taken that dimension to an astounding level. It's not necessarily such a bad thing... ;)

dkw
04-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Yet another reason why I love Rogger soooo much.

_pyromatic
04-22-2006, 11:36 PM
He's so full of shit. :rolleyes:

star
04-22-2006, 11:38 PM
It's not the first time Federer has said that about Nadal -- it wasn't in those words, but it was the same meaning. Federer clearly thinks he is far superior to Nadal.

I guess it's good to keep a positive frame of mind.

I think tomorrow will be close. Maybe I'm too nervous for Nadal, but I don't think it's a given that he will win. I think Federer is a dangerous opponent for him.

Raquel
04-22-2006, 11:40 PM
I think Nadal is quite one-dimensional. He's absolutely brilliant at it though.

mir
04-22-2006, 11:42 PM
I hope Rafa is gonna kick Fed's ass "one-dimensional"

Billabong
04-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah, maybe he sees it that way. But that single dimension of Nadal's game is quite effective, huh;)

nobama
04-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, Roger never said he was a bad "one dimensional" player. It will haunt him if he doesn't back it up. But maybe this is what he needs to do to pump himself up and get motivated. Doing that little ATP photo shoot the day before RG SF last year sure didn't do him any good.

Wannabeknowitall
04-22-2006, 11:50 PM
It's interesting when someone who happens to be one-dimensional is able to beat someone multi-dimensional on a consistent basis.
It kind of makes Roger look like a Jack of all trades on the court, one competent in many parts of the tennis but technically not excelling in any of them.
Well that's how some people will look at Roger until he wins a French Open.

mallorn
04-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Why is it that some players feel the need to say arguably condescending/disrespectful things about Rafa's game/achievements? First Ljubicic and Ivanisevic "forget" he's # 2 in the world, and now this...I don't think Roger meant it as a compliment. :rolleyes:

Roger had better thrash Rafa tomorrow, otherwise he's going to look really silly. :p

David Kenzie
04-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Beeing one dimentional isn't a bad thing. Roger wasn't insulting Rafa by saying that. He is just saying he believes the more they play against each other the more chances he will have to beat Nadal.

Breakaway
04-22-2006, 11:55 PM
I just hope Roger can back this up tommorow...

Flibbertigibbet
04-22-2006, 11:56 PM
This is really unnecessary. :rolleyes: Sure, one could interpret this to mean that Nadal excels at whatever one dimension that Federer's talking about, but it definitely doesn't sound like it. If Federer loses tomorrow (a significant chance of that happening), he's going to look very arrogant and/or foolish. Maybe Roger doesn't have to do photo shoots with his opponent the day before his match, but I sincerely don't think he needs to say things like this to win. It's not - or at least it shouldn't be - his style.

Natasc
04-22-2006, 11:57 PM
oww fed..not a god thing for say before the final
hope that we both see a good match tomorrow..

jenny161185
04-22-2006, 11:58 PM
I cant wait to watch this match now!

shotgun
04-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Didn't know Fed had a "thrash-talking" side too. :lol:

Vladimir Voltchkov would be proud. :p

Julio1974
04-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Well, I do know now for whom I'm going to cheer tomorrow. I hope the one dimensional player wins

nobama
04-23-2006, 12:01 AM
This is really unnecessary. :rolleyes: Sure, one could interpret this to mean that Nadal excels at whatever one dimension that Federer's talking about, but it definitely doesn't sound like it. If Federer loses tomorrow (a significant chance of that happening), he's going to look very arrogant and/or foolish. Maybe Roger doesn't have to do photo shoots with his opponent the day before his match, but I sincerely don't think he needs to say things like this to win. It's not - or at least it shouldn't be - his style.Yeah, I'm not sure why he felt the need to say it. Obviously he wants revenge for Dubai. And hopefully he can get it tomorrow. When's the last time he was beaten twice in a row by the same guy?

Billabong
04-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure why he felt the need to say it. Obviously he wants revenge for Dubai. And hopefully he can get it tomorrow. When's the last time he was beaten twice in a row by the same guy?

Nadal and Guga;)

stebs
It kind of makes Roger look like a Jack of all trades on the court, one competent in many parts of the tennis but technically not excelling in any of them.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Raquel
When's the last time he was beaten twice in a row by the same guy?
It is Nadal already. RG and Dubai.

Longshot
2003-04, by Henman, @ Paris indoor and Rotterdam.

Longshot
04-23-2006, 12:04 AM
It is Nadal already. RG and Dubai.
You forget the lost to Nalby at Shanghai. :)

tangerine_dream
04-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Great to see that Roger can an asshole, too :yeah:

Billabong
04-23-2006, 12:06 AM
2003, by Nalbandian, @ Cincinatti and US Open.

In IW 2003 and RG 2004 Guga beat Rogi 2 consecutive times:) But Nadal is the last one, in RG 2005 and Dubai 2006.

Raquel
04-23-2006, 12:07 AM
You forget the lost to Nalby at Shanghai. :)
Sorry, I misread that. You're right. I thought mirkaland meant the last time he lost to the same guy in the last two matches they had played.

stebs
04-23-2006, 12:08 AM
I get the feeling from Roger that he, like many, doesn't understand why Nadal has so much success with a game that shouldn't be good enough to counter a great attacking game.

Still, it is not a nice thing to say about Rafa and he shouldn't have said it, not the classy Roger I would like to hear.

nobama
04-23-2006, 12:10 AM
You forget the lost to Nalby at Shanghai. :)But he beat Nalby at US Open earlier that year.

MisterQ
04-23-2006, 12:11 AM
It's interesting when someone who happens to be one-dimensional is able to beat someone multi-dimensional on a consistent basis.

I think it's fascinating too. I think of Seles vs. Sabatini as a prime example.

Skyward
04-23-2006, 12:12 AM

Well, multi-dimensional Santoro hasn't won anythihg in singles. Variety is not the biggest weapon in tennis.

nobama
04-23-2006, 12:15 AM
I get the feeling from Roger that he, like many, doesn't understand why Nadal has so much success with a game that shouldn't be good enough to counter a great attacking game.

Still, it is not a nice thing to say about Rafa and he shouldn't have said it, not the classy Roger I would like to hear.He just better back up his words with his racquet tomorrow. I would've preferred he not say it (even if he thinks it), but there's plenty who think most of what he says is PC spin anyway so guess being honest isn't such a bad thing.

stebs
04-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Pssh, we all know the real reason why Rogi keepings losing to Rafa:

http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/R056.jpg

... :angel:

(P.S. When J'torian is sick and housebound, J'torian has way too much time on his hands. :o)
:worship: :worship: :lol :lol:

musefanatic
04-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Hmm pretty big claim to make, I didn't really expect Fed to comeout with something slightly arrogant like that but everyone has their moments. We'll see what happens tomorrow and the French.

mallorn
04-23-2006, 12:22 AM
:rolls: @ J'torian
I hope your illness isn't serious. :hug:

Natasc
04-23-2006, 12:26 AM
Well, multi-dimensional Santoro hasn't won anythihg in singles. Variety is not the biggest weapon in tennis.
I was about to say the same thing
variety is nice for watch, but that doesnt win matchs
if u good at something, volleys, server, groundstrokes and u use what u good at u can win matchs

Nadal is AMAZING, almost perfect in baseline
if he stays there is almost impossible to bet

I really wish that Rogi didnt say that...
not the gentleman rogi that I know...

hitchhiker
04-23-2006, 12:30 AM
this isnt federer personality so what do these comments mean? they mean for the first time in a long time he is uncertain/doubts himself before a big match. you don't hear him making comments like this before he plays hewitt/roddick but here he is trying to intimidate nadal because he knows for once in a long time tennis skill on court may not be enough

fenomeno2111
04-23-2006, 12:30 AM
I feel that, without a doubt, Roger can dominate Nadal on hard courts as he does the rest of the tour. The evidence is all there in the Dubai final - that was a match which Roger lost through his own errors and bad tactics, not a match which Nadal won.

On clay, it may be a different story; but I hope Roger can win anyway!

Sure, Nadal never won that match. Their last two meetings all the Fedtard's allegations go like this: " Federer didn't have his best day", "He got distracted by Nadal's wedgie", "His bandana wasn't tied the right way", "Federer was more focused on UNICEF". STOP TROLLING :wavey:

Wannabeknowitall
04-23-2006, 12:34 AM

Santoro is clearly the definition of jack of all trades.
Federer is just borrowing the title until he wins the FO.

mandoura
04-23-2006, 12:37 AM
Sorry, I misread that. You're right. I thought mirkaland meant the last time he lost to the same guy in the last two matches they had played.

I thought so too. :)

ChloeLove
04-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Sounds like Roger is feeling very confident, I just hope he isn't getting too far ahead of himself. :rolleyes: It sounds to me like he expects to win tomorrow. Which will make this match, so much more interesting.

soothsayer
04-23-2006, 12:39 AM
I think to a degree Nadal is a bit one dimensional. But he's incredibly good at this part of the game, and especially on clay, this "one dimensional type of play" is very hard to play against. I pick Nadal to win tomorrow, but if Federer can a way to exploit Nadal's style of game... to find a weakness in it, it may push Nadal to do something a bit different. Nadal may even have more dimensional aspects to his game—it's just that we never see them because he's so good at what he does.

I just hope Federer comes out playing well, making the match entertaining.

nobama
04-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Santoro is clearly the definition of jack of all trades.
Federer is just borrowing the title until he wins the FO.Federer is just borrowing the title until he wins the FO.[/QUOTE]So his seven slams and ten TMS titles don't mean shit? How many slams/TMS titles has Santoro won? You have a point that being multi-dimensional doesn't automatically equal success, but Roger's a bad example.

Howard
04-23-2006, 12:52 AM
How the hell is Nadal any more “one-dimensional” than most of the other players on the tour? He has a wicked forehand, a very steady backhand, a solid service return, great court coverage, inexhaustible energy and an indomitable will to win. IMO, that’s all the dimensions any player needs.

avocadoe
04-23-2006, 12:54 AM
I think Roger loves the puzzle of trying to figure a way to beat this extraordinary one-dimensional game which has the power to make his game less effective. I mean give the man a break, he comes to the tournaments, and beats everyone, just about, and doesn't whine about it, because he likes winning and being the best, but here is a person who presents a consistent conundrum for him. Of course, he feels like he will solve it. Many lesser players think that about the hordes of players that beat them, too. As far as arrogance goes, Rafa turns on his "oh shucks Roger's the best," but when he's out there his whole demeaner is of a proud arrogant pirate King. Most people have good points and bad. If you find some that isn't true of, call the authorities because they might not be people :) Anyway, I'm much more faint-hearted than dear Roger, and would probably wish someone else would have beaten Rafa, but I can't wait to see what happens this time.

Pea
04-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Pssh, we all know the real reason why Rogi keepings losing to Rafa:

http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/R056.jpg

... :angel:

(P.S. When J'torian is sick and housebound, J'torian has way too much time on his hands. :o)

Poor Mirka. :sad: Come here!:drool:

CooCooCachoo
04-23-2006, 12:56 AM
His game is one-dimensional. But that is what suits him.

Corey Feldman
04-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Fed will look an idiot/silly if he loses tomorrow , jep ok...
winner of the last 3 slams, many TMS titles, and No1 by a mile..
silly looking bastard.

what was so arrogant about him saying Nadal was one-dimensional anyway? he's only saying what we all know - nadal is a baseliner, and there's nothing wrong that style...
off course im just being a Fedtard but i see most of the bitchy whining coming from rafa fans, a few safin-avatar MTF'ers and one well known Yank duckfuck dimwit who likes to show herself as a Federer supporter when it suits her, but off course is just a glorified rafatard cheerleader.

gl 2morro Fedgod :bounce:

star
04-23-2006, 01:01 AM
Federer is just borrowing the title until he wins the FO.So his seven slams and ten TMS titles don't mean shit? How many slams/TMS titles has Santoro won? You have a point that being multi-dimensional doesn't automatically equal success, but Roger's a bad example.[/QUOTE]

Calm down for pity's sake.

star
04-23-2006, 01:03 AM
this isnt federer personality so what do these comments mean? they mean for the first time in a long time he is uncertain/doubts himself before a big match. you don't hear him making comments like this before he plays hewitt/roddick but here he is trying to intimidate nadal because he knows for once in a long time tennis skill on court may not be enough

yup. In vino veritas. :)

s.m.
04-23-2006, 01:03 AM
i can´t wait for tommorow
i have a feeling we will see a classic

avocadoe
04-23-2006, 01:04 AM
j'torian that's just great...feel better soone. All Roger has to do to win is to serve great and move forward at all good opportunities, taking time away, and better put a lot of pepper on those volleys or Rafa will get there. I'm hoping Roger can beat Nadal but I'm not convinced. Mainly Roger hasn't played anyone vaguely as good as Nadal this week, but then, neither has Rafa played a Roger...anyway, hoping for a great match. :wavey:
Hope someone makes a megaupload of it!

Sjengster
04-23-2006, 01:05 AM
This reinforces to me why Federer's "boring" on-court demeanour and continually modest comments about other players in the past have been the right thing, for if he had been too outspoken or too in-your-face, with his level of success, he would have been widely reviled. This is not the right thing to say before facing someone who poses so many challenges for you, but I don't think earning the ridicule of MTF is his greatest worry if he goes on to lose the match.

As for the comment itself, I agree and disagree. Nadal is one-dimensional in one sense bearing in mind his play falls into a broad category of consistent baseliner, but within that there is plenty of variety, cleverly timed dropshots, aggression on the forehand when needed, improved skills in the forecourt and excellent reactions at the net, etc. More than enough variety to give Federer nightmares on any surface, anyhow. I do agree with other posters that many great champions in the past have been one-dimensional, look at Agassi or Lendl - it didn't do 'em much harm, though.

Sjengster
04-23-2006, 01:07 AM
yup. In vino veritas. :)

So Federer was drunk when he made these comments? That would certainly reassure me that they weren't all they seemed.

star
04-23-2006, 01:08 AM
Beeing one dimentional isn't a bad thing. Roger wasn't insulting Rafa by saying that. He is just saying he believes the more they play against each other the more chances he will have to beat Nadal.

Believe me. In tennis it's not merely a factual statement to say someone is "one-dimensional." There are many many ways to say the same thing, and Federer has done so before, but in a more diplomatic way.

Roger is talking smack.

Rafa = Fed Killa
04-23-2006, 01:08 AM
I wanna hear the Fedtards excuses if Fed loses to this "one dimensional" player.

What a sore sport. Waah, Waah Nadal keeps beating me and all I can do in return is try and insult him.

Hope Nadal shuts him up.

star
04-23-2006, 01:09 AM
So Federer was drunk when he made these comments? That would certainly reassure me that they weren't all they seemed.

Oh, dont' go all Kellie Pickler on me. :p

Tennis Fool
04-23-2006, 01:10 AM
Didn't know Fed had a "thrash-talking" side too. :lol:

Well, he's been saying stuff like this for years. I think it's great for the game.

Sjengster
04-23-2006, 01:10 AM
He won't be a sore sport in defeat, he hasn't been since 2003 and I see no reason why that would change now.

Sjengster
04-23-2006, 01:11 AM
Oh, dont' go all Kellie Pickler on me. :p

Another case of lost in translation, I'm afraid. :p

star
04-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Another case of lost in translation, I'm afraid. :p

yeah.... it's a tough, tough world for the elite.

Corey Feldman
04-23-2006, 01:13 AM
this isnt federer personality so what do these comments mean? they mean for the first time in a long time he is uncertain/doubts himself before a big match. you don't hear him making comments like this before he plays hewitt/roddick but here he is trying to intimidate nadal because he knows for once in a long time tennis skill on court may not be enoughwow you can see right into the mind of the World No1 tennis player, what are you doing sitting here
:lol:

:retard:
yup. In vino veritas. :)Get your slippers on Granny before your feet get cold.

star
04-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Well, he's been saying stuff like this for years. I think it's great for the game.

I agree. He has been saying stuff like this for years, but somehow it all goes down as "classy."

bad gambler
04-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Nothing wrong with the comments because it is true, and it won't make him look stupid when sorry if he loses the final to him tomorrow.

Ays25
04-23-2006, 01:15 AM
federer must thank god that rafa is one dimensional.
he is already chewing fed with One D
and what if he was 3D?? :haha:

star
04-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Get your slippers on Granny before your feet get cold.

slipper time has passed.... but I did had them on this morning... will that do for you? :p

Otherwise... it looks as if you'll have to wait till fall. It's getting nice and warm here.

Sjengster
04-23-2006, 01:17 AM
yeah.... it's a tough, tough world for the elite.

From Wikipedia:

Early life
Pickler was born in New Orleans, Louisiana. Her mother abandoned her at age two, and her father, Clyde "Bo" Pickler, Jr., described by Kellie as having had a lifetime problem with drugs and alcohol, is currently serving a 3 year 9 month prison sentence at Florida State Prison for aggravated assault and battery, stemming from a 2003 stabbing incident. [1] [2].

Pickler moved to the Charlotte, North Carolina, suburb of Albemarle with her grandfather. There she has worked at Wal-Mart as a singing greeter and as a waitress at a Sonic Drive In franchise. As an active participant in the Miss America circuit, Pickler won the "Miss Stanly County" pageant at age 17 and subsequently competed for Miss North Carolina 2004. In 2005, she made an appearance on WSOC-TV's Gimme the Mike! contest and took second place.[3] Pickler also has a younger brother.

[edit]
American Idol
The 19-year-old Pickler auditioned for American Idol in the fall of 2005 in Greensboro, North Carolina. She sang both Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone" and Martina McBride's "A Broken Wing". Pickler advanced through the girl's semi-finalist rounds in February and March, reaching the Top 12 On March 9. On March 14 she performed a Stevie Wonder song, "Blame It On the Sun", without acclaim by the judges. On March 21st, she performed "Walkin After Midnight" by Patsy Cline to praise from the judges.

Pickler has gained attention on the show by saying (for example) that she had never performed before real audiences, mispronouncing "salmon" as "sal-mon", and confusing "minx" with "mink ". She was compared to Jessica Simpson in a March 27 story in US Weekly magazine entitled "Kellie: The Next Jessica Simpson", due to her "sweet southern style and ditzy demeanor." Various internet websites and blogs allege that Pickler is merely putting on an act in order to win votes. Host Ryan Seacrest asked Pickler about the allegations during the April 4 broadcast, and she denied the claims. On April 19, Kellie Pickler and contestant, Taylor Hicks became the only contestants among the rest of the Top 6 to never be in the bottom 3.

I am neither blonde, female, nor American, and my singing skills are dubious at best. :confused:

hitchhiker
04-23-2006, 01:18 AM
I think it's great for the game.

thats true.
im sick of all the boring tennis old fashioned dinosours who eat prawn sandwiches and yell in uproar whenever something a little controversial is said. yet its the same people who run to read the same interviews day after day.
if you expect the players to give cliched answers all the time why the hell would you read the interviews in the first place?

nadal should reply that his going to kick federers ass all over the mud court

asotgod
04-23-2006, 01:18 AM
Roger just said the truth. Nadal is one-dimensional and Roger has been coughing up errors most of the time and that's why Nadal wins. In their last match in Dubai, Roger had no problem handling the lefty spin. He just self-destructed, especially at the crucial points by being too aggressive and making ill-timed forays to the net. It was his match to win and he knows that he can beat Nadal, even though the results have not shown that.

So, he is right. He just has to stick with Nadal in the physical war and beat him down because talent wise, he is much better. Then, his talent will show. I rather Roger talk like this, even if he loses. No need for pretences about Nadal's game. This is a competition, not a fashion show.

star
04-23-2006, 01:19 AM
From Wikipedia:

I am neither blonde, female, nor American, and my singing skills are dubious at best. :confused:

You poor baby. :hug: :hug:

But by keeping it up your resemblance is growing every minute.

shotgun
04-23-2006, 01:22 AM

Maybe, but not as directly and clearly as he did this time. I also don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but it's quite surprising coming from his mouth.

Sjengster
You poor baby. :hug: :hug:

But by keeping it up your resemblance is growing every minute.

Seriously, any resemblance is purely coincidental.

hitchhiker
He just has to stick with Nadal in the physical war and beat him down because talent wise, he is much better.

talent dont mean shit on clay. nadal in 4 routine sets.

Corey Feldman
04-23-2006, 01:23 AM
unbelievable how many Roddick fans i see on this board who have such a massive chip on their shoulder about how fed is always seen as "classy" and "mr perfect" .. and what an act Fed is always showing in public .
you can tell how much they are just dying to see the day he is as loathed as Roddick is, will make them feel better

star
04-23-2006, 01:23 AM
Seriously, any resemblance is purely coincidental.

Seriously, the resemblance is remarkable.

shotgun
04-23-2006, 01:24 AM
nadal should reply that his going to kick federers ass all over the mud court

:rolls:

He should reply: "I'm going to stick his big nose on the mud."

Sjengster
04-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Seriously, the resemblance is remarkable.

Seriously, it is an invention of yours.

jenanun
04-23-2006, 01:26 AM
well, there is a fine line between being confident and arrogant.
federer completely crossed that line...

but then, he is the only one entitled to be arrogant, coz he simply is the best tennis player EVER!!!!!... so... he can say whatever he likes..... :worship:

(though i think he should give some credits to nadal..... )

it seems to me that federer is more eager to win than nadal, coz he feels that he cannot afford to loose another match to the kid....

which is good, as he knows he still have something yet to achieve, to win RG/beat nadal on clay (which is the same thing)

nadal is one dimenstional? well, tennis is not only about style/technique, nadal has another really strong weapon, MENTAL STRENGTH! which is stronger than ANY PLAYER on tour...

anyway, good luck to both of them....

and vamos rafa! go for the 42th winning streaks on clay!

asotgod
04-23-2006, 01:29 AM
talent dont mean shit on clay. nadal in 4 routine sets.

It does. What you dont see is that Roger can 'bumroot' as well as anyone but just chooses when to do it. He may not seem as physically fit as Nadal but I think he is fit enough to wear him out. Then he can fully dictate the whole match. Federer in at most 4 sets tomorrow.

star
04-23-2006, 01:29 AM
Seriously, it is an invention of yours.

Most asuredly it is not. You are a perfect mimic.

star
04-23-2006, 01:31 AM
well, there is a fine line between being confident and arrogant.
federer completely crossed that line...

but then, he is the only one entitled to be arrogant, coz he simply is the best tennis player EVER!!!!!... so... he can say whatever he likes..... :worship:

it seems to me that federer is more eager to win than nadal, coz he feels that he cannot afford to loose another match to the kid....

which is good, as he knows he still have something yet to achieve, to win RG/beat nadal on clay (which is the same thing)

nadal is one dimenstional? well, tennis is not only about style/technique, nadal has another really strong weapon, MENTAL STRENGTH! which is stronger than ANY PLAYER on tour...

anyway, good luck to both of them....

and vamos rafa! go for the 42th winning streaks on clay!

Brilliant. :worship:

Sjengster
04-23-2006, 01:31 AM
Most asuredly it is not. You are a perfect mimic.

I was never a very good impressionist.

Corey Feldman
04-23-2006, 01:32 AM
He should reply: "I'm going to stick his big nose on the mud."lol
Fed "i'll show that spanish pig how to really play squash"

:bolt:

LLeytonRules
04-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Hopefully if Federer wins tomorrow all these Nadal pricks will quiet down somewhat.It would be so sweet cause the streak would end :devil:

star
04-23-2006, 01:34 AM
I was never a very good impressionist.

Well, now that is all in the past.

Sjengster
04-23-2006, 01:34 AM
Well, now that is all in the past.

From obscure acorns....

shotgun
04-23-2006, 01:35 AM
lol
Fed "i'll show that spanish pig how to really play squash"

:bolt:

More like a thrash-talking session before a boxing fight. :p

World Beater
04-23-2006, 01:39 AM
it was by no means a compliment. However, maybe we should look at the question he was asked before jumping to conclusions.

So roger is trying to tell himself that he can beat nadal. big deal.

if roger didnt win so much, he wouldnt be as classy. its easy to be classy when you win all the time.

but i say bring out the trash talking. it will be interesting to see how fed reacts to nadal's first few vamoses.

Corey Feldman
04-23-2006, 01:40 AM
Hopefully if Federer wins tomorrow all these Nadal pricks will quiet down somewhat.It would be so sweet cause the streak would end :devil: :haha: :yeah:

on a side note... noticed some books have Nadal as the underdog 2morro .. @2.00 , great odds and certainly i might lay something down on odds like that, will be a nice 2nd prize to cheer me up if Fed did lose this, and on the other hand i wouldnt be more happier to lose a bet in my life :bounce:

nobama
04-23-2006, 01:42 AM
unbelievable how many Roddick fans i see on this board who have such a massive chip on their shoulder about how fed is always seen as "classy" and "mr perfect" .. and what an act Fed is always showing in public .
you can tell how much they are just dying to see the day he is as loathed as Roddick is, will make them feel better
:lol:Hey they should be praying for a Fed win tomorrow. Andy needs all the help he can get to secure #2 spot at Wimbledon.

nobama
04-23-2006, 01:57 AM
Believe me. In tennis it's not merely a factual statement to say someone is "one-dimensional." There are many many ways to say the same thing, and Federer has done so before, but in a more diplomatic way.

Roger is talking smack.He's been a bit less PC this week like earlier in the week with his DC comments. I honestly think he wants to shut up all those who say clay is his weaker surface. And I'm sure in his mind he believes he has the game to beat Nadal. Which I think he does, but believing it and executing it are two different things. I wish the transcripts were up on the tournament site so we could see what prompted this comment.

I don't know why they can't have the transcripts or press conference video on the ATP Masters Series website. :(

Tennis Fool
04-23-2006, 01:59 AM
Maybe, but not as directly and clearly as he did this time.
:confused: Yes he has. I even started a thread on them some time ago.

WF4EVER
04-23-2006, 02:07 AM
I think I'm so annoyed at Roger saying that (if he did) that I have nothing more to say.

His ass had better win.

shotgun
04-23-2006, 02:11 AM
:confused: Yes he has. I even started a thread on them some time ago.

Bump it up for me then. :p

shotgun
04-23-2006, 02:13 AM
He's been a bit less PC this week like earlier in the week with his DC comments.

His comments on DC were far worse than what he said today.

artlinkletter
04-23-2006, 02:21 AM
Can you paraphrase what Roger said SGB?

tangerine_dream
04-23-2006, 02:23 AM
if roger didnt win so much, he wouldnt be as classy. its easy to be classy when you win all the time.
Truest statement made in the entire thread.

sorry for the edit

shotgun
04-23-2006, 02:24 AM
Here it is.

Q. You said that you will see him again in the Davis Cup. Does it mean that you will play after all?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, we'll see about that (smiling). I don't know yet. It depends, yes, on my mood.

Q. On what?

ROGER FEDERER: On my mood.

Q. On your mood?

ROGER FEDERER: Right now, it does, yeah (smiling).

Q. You've had the chance to see Djokovic now. How well do you know the rest of the Serbian team?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, Zimonjic, I've known since quite a while. Tipsarevic, a little bit. I practiced with him one time in Doha and I've seen a couple of matches. Pashanski, I just saw a couple of rallies today for the first time.

Q. Do you think it is a team that can jeopardize your team?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, it depends if I play or not, doesn't it? Yeah, so we'll see (smiling).

artlinkletter
04-23-2006, 02:26 AM
Hahaha, oh Roger! It's one thing to think it, it's another to say it out loud in a press conference full of people, where there will be a transcript for everyone to read. He'll be eating his shorts if they lose somehow.

PamV
04-23-2006, 02:30 AM
There have been a number of great players who could be accused of being one-dimensional. They have simply taken that dimension to an astounding level. It's not necessarily such a bad thing... ;)

It's not necessarily bad if he gets good results that way.

What ever happens Roger has bettered his result from last year !

morningglory
04-23-2006, 02:31 AM
uni-dimensionality doesn't mean it's not effective....

Raquel
04-23-2006, 02:31 AM
His comments on DC were far worse than what he said today.
Worse, or just accurate? Nadal aside, no one is really consistently beating him or threatening him. In that Davis Cup context Serbia would have a far better chance with Roger not there, than with Roger there. Not really blantantly disprespectful to them, just honest.

hitchhiker
04-23-2006, 02:33 AM
lol all the roddick/federer/nadal fans getting excited over this quote need to wake up.......tennis is so pc its just damn boring. this should be standard.

who wants to see rivals kiss each others ass before a important match?

Deea
04-23-2006, 02:34 AM
I hope Rafael will win the final, no matter what Roger said about his game! :angel:

lucashg
04-23-2006, 02:36 AM
There's no perfect time for such remark, unless for the use of skyrocketing the hype surrounding this match and lighting the fire under the haters' asses. There, he succeded. Let's see tomorrow for the actual content. I'd like to feel as confident as he does. He's got a good chance and I believe he can "back up his words" (even if it's not like after what he said it's mandatory for him to win tomorrow not to look silly).

It also helps him to get extra motivation and confidence, which is fine. I don't see the fuss about it because it's true and Nadal being one-dimensional doesn't mean he isn't good enough to beat multi-dimensional Federer and the rest of the bunch.

"Ha!" for your sarcasm and to the latter, Federer always gives his opponents credit where it's due, if he thinks he didn't play well enough in the matches he lost/was pressured, he's not only entitled to his opinions, as well as it's been nothing but the truth many times.

I think that has crossed the line of confidence/ignorance, COMPLETELY.

You didn't even disagree with him, so why the fuss? Nor you, nor most of the Rafatards and Fedsbitchestards who are doing as much trash-talk as Roger. :p

Raquel
04-23-2006, 02:37 AM
uni-dimensionality doesn't mean it's not effective....
Exactly. Someone brought up an example with Monica Seles earlier in the thread. You knew what she was going to do every match. Two hands on both sides, hitting it hard and going for winners. That was pretty much it, yet it's obvious how effective that was. She was one dimensional. I don't think it would be totally disrespectful to say that, as she was brilliant at it. In the same way you know how Nadal will play almost every match. You're not going to see him serve and volley out there, or chip and charge, or have Gonzalez-like no margin for error, but what he does he does it brilliantly.

shotgun
04-23-2006, 02:41 AM
Worse, or just accurate? Nadal aside, no one is really consistently beating him or threatening him. In that Davis Cup context Serbia would have a far better chance with Roger not there, than with Roger there. Not really blantantly disprespectful to them, just honest.

Well, I assume you don't go out saying everything you think. ;)

It was kinda disrespectful to the other members of the Swiss DC team, because even without Roger, Switzerland would have a chance to beat Serbia, although it would be obviously much tougher. If Federer plays, it's obvious that Switzerland wins, but if he doesn't play, that doesn't mean they would lose.

Skyward
04-23-2006, 02:43 AM
who wants to see rivals kiss each others ass before a important match?

Yeah, those freindly photos before the SF last year were http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-015.gif

Raquel
04-23-2006, 03:00 AM
Well, I assume you don't go out saying everything you think. ;)

I don't, but I am lucky enough not to have a lot of things I say analysed and dissected and assumptions made, by lots of people. It would be slightly depressing if the players came out with the same pat answers for the media in the way the WTA used to give the young women players media training on how to answer questions. The girls didn't have to think. The answers were learnt for them. Roger could have said "It will be very tough. They are a great team" etc. but sometimes you let your guard slip, and say what you think and know to be the truth. Same with this remark about Nadal. I am sure if you asked Roger the straight question "Do you respect Nadal?", the answer would be yes. He said his game is "quite one-dimensional", not totally one-dimensional, and I don't think that's too far away from the truth.

LCeh
04-23-2006, 03:07 AM
I said this in Roger's forum, and I guess I might as well say it here as well.

So Roger made an inappropriate remark. He is human. What a revelation. Does that deserve 10 pages of posts? I think both the fans and haters are overreacting. This just confirms that Roger is human, and nothing more.

Maybe if more tennis fans realize the players are mere mortals and not some machines that can do no wrong, there wouldn't be so many ridiculous discussions all the time. :shrug:

L James
04-23-2006, 03:11 AM
Roger, this isn't like you :mad:

I would like to read the full transcript though to see what context this was said in.

Kip
04-23-2006, 03:17 AM
Their is nothing wrong with
stating real feelings.

I'm so tired of the whole
PC thing. Nothing is wrong with
having and stating an opinion.

Go Roger! :cool:

ccrood
04-23-2006, 03:22 AM
nadal is one dimensional....but really good at what he does...what's so wrong with stating a fact....this statement takes nothing away from Nadal's talent...Roger respects what he has to deal with when playing him...to read into his statement anything differently would be a shame

Scotso
04-23-2006, 03:34 AM
Roger needs to learn when to shut up. When you're 1-3 against someone, you should learn a little humility.

pianruojinghong
04-23-2006, 03:50 AM
He just said what he is thinking, what's wrong with that?

ezekiel
04-23-2006, 03:54 AM
nadal is one dimensional....but really good at what he does...what's so wrong with stating a fact....this statement takes nothing away from Nadal's talent...Roger respects what he has to deal with when playing him...to read into his statement anything differently would be a shame

Ivo Karlovic and Feliciano Lopez are one dimensional and they have nothing to show for it aside from serve, Rafa is a different beast and I think he has gotten to Federer who just wants to reduce him in his mind to nothing because he is tired of losing to him

Scotso
04-23-2006, 03:59 AM
Rafa is definitely under Federer's skin.

nobama
04-23-2006, 03:59 AM
Ljubicic said earlier this year that he played Roger 5 times last year and every time he felt like he was playing a different player. I don't think you could say that about Rafa (other than noticing improvements like in the serve or drop shot for instance). You know what you're in for when you play him.

Scotso
04-23-2006, 04:01 AM
Ljubicic said earlier this year that he played Roger 5 times last year and every time he felt like he was playing a different player. I don't think you could say that about Rafa (other than noticing improvements like in the serve or drop shot for instance). You know what you're in for when you play him.

Maybe, but that still doesn't mean you can beat him. If Rafa is so easy to figure out, why is Federer down 1-3 to him?

In my opinion, it reflects worse on you if you've figured a player out and still can't beat them.

heya
04-23-2006, 04:13 AM
:scared: After all these years, I hope the Fed doesn't become arrogant and uh, thankfully, he didn't also read Nadal's mind as well as read his game. :unsure:

rofe
04-23-2006, 04:18 AM
So many posts in this thread and no one asked this question, "What is Fed's definition of one-dimensional?" Typical knee-jerk reaction from MTF. :rolleyes:

And a question to mirkaland - why would you start a thread like this? Pre-emptive strike maybe?

NYCtennisfan
04-23-2006, 04:22 AM
Rafa is one-dimensional but really damn good at what he does.

Some trash talking before big matches between far and away the two best players in the world would probably give the sport a boost, but we will never see it happen.

lsy
04-23-2006, 05:03 AM
Well the whole world knows that Nadal had his no, by saying that, Rogi has to suck it up and accept that he hadn't been good enough to beat that rather "one-dimentional" player :shrug: So I don't know if he will be making such comments in an "insulting" intention...

I agree. He has been saying stuff like this for years, but somehow it all goes down as "classy."

Well I guess one day when his peers...you know those who actually know him both on and off court start picking up this "dark" side of him after all these years, and stop being so eager to tell the media how classy he is...The world will finally know the truth about Federer.

Bagelicious
04-23-2006, 05:11 AM
Well I guess one day when his peers...you know those who actually know him both on and off court start picking up this "dark" side of him after all these years, and stop being so eager to tell the media how classy he is...The world will finally know the truth about Federer.

:haha:

So the people who know Roger on and off the court are mistaken when they say he's classy. Obviously, you (and other gifted MTF posters) know Roger's 'dark side' better than they do (they've only spent years playing on the same tour as him) and one day the WHOLE WORLD - excluding you and the aforementioned posters - shall wake up and shake off the spell that Roger seems to have cast over everyone else.

lsy
04-23-2006, 05:17 AM

So the people who know Roger on and off the court are mistaken when they say he's classy. Obviously, you (and other gifted MTF posters) know Roger's 'dark side' better than they do (they've only spent years playing on the same tour as him) and one day the WHOLE WORLD - excluding you and the aforementioned posters - shall wake up and shake off the spell that Roger seems to have cast over everyone else.

Well, thank you for actually "spelling" out in words of the message I was trying to get across in that post I guess ;)

Bagelicious
04-23-2006, 05:21 AM
Well, thank you for actually "spelling" out in words of the message I was trying to get across in that post I guess ;)

Anytime. :cool:

Tennis Fool
04-23-2006, 06:09 AM
Bump it up for me then. :p
I have over 10 pages of threads. I can't remember what I named it :o

PamV
04-23-2006, 06:16 AM
Yeah, maybe he sees it that way. But that single dimension of Nadal's game is quite effective, huh;)

Being one demensional removes the problem of getting mixed up about what to do on the court.

PamV
04-23-2006, 06:22 AM
Well that's how some people will look at Roger until he wins a French Open.

OK, that's a little crazy. He's alot more than competent at every facet of the game. If you don't think Federer excells at pretty much everything then who does in tennis?

jacobhiggins
04-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Roger's just telling it like it is. Everybody knows what Nadal does, and he does it over and over. Roger is learning how to deal with it and has more weapons then Rafeal!

Allez
04-23-2006, 07:36 AM
OMG! Rogi will be toast today because of this comment. This will give Rafa extra motivation to go out there and show Rogi that he still "owns" :mad: him with his "one dimensional" game. No need to have said this BEFORE the match Rogi :eek: :eek: :eek: . There's nothing nasty or arrogant about this comment but why not wait until you've actually won the match ? Why give Rafa extra motivation to beat you :shrug: I sure hope no one has read this to Rafa, otherwise there'll be hell to pay for Rogi in the final :scared::scared::scared:. If he'd said something like "Rafa is the best player on clay ever and I will be lucky to win a set off him" then Rafa would probably feel a little bit of pressure to live up to his billing. As it is he will assume the underdog position that he always does against Rogi and we all know how well he plays as an underdog :mad:. Also Roger has just put heaps of expectations on himself. He knows if he loses those comments may haunt him as he's almost certainly going to be asked about them.

Q: "Before the match you said Nadal is a one dimensional player. Would you say his one dimensional game is superior to your multi dimensional game on clay ?"

Rogi: "Erm...what I really meant was...:unsure:"

Puschkin
04-23-2006, 08:09 AM
There are many ways to approach a match: Understatement (false modesty?), objective judgement (if this is ever possible) and over-confidence.

I personally like it that Roger is not hiding, but I am a biased-fedtard ;) agreeing with him that his game is more multi-demensional. Good luck, Roger, make the deeds match the words.

yanchr
04-23-2006, 08:11 AM
I think Roger said sth similar like one-dimensional about Nadal before, so what's the big deal this time?

While I won't believe he meant it good to be one-dimensional, he didn't mean it bad either. It's just a fact in his eyes, especially considering his own game.

But, pulling out a win tonight will make you sound better Roger...

And, I have to look at the thread title twice to make sure I didn't see the name of the thread starter wrong...

mallorn
04-23-2006, 08:22 AM
I wish the transcripts were up on the tournament site so we could see what prompted this comment.

I don't know why they can't have the transcripts or press conference video on the ATP Masters Series website. :(
It's explained in this Matthew Cronin article on TennisReporters.net: Media not being protectionist about ATP interview policy (http://tennisreporters.net/itwa_bodo_042006.html).

soraya
04-23-2006, 08:30 AM
:haha: :haha:

:haha: this is more hilarious

A_Skywalker
04-23-2006, 08:40 AM
I will tell you why Nadal is not one dimensional player . 1st He plays good baseline , 2 when Roger comes to the net , Nadal has as an answer passing shot , 3rd he has a good serve , not so fast but very variable , and he also can produce magnificent shots which noone has ever thought doing them before now . ANd last he has a strong mind that only few people on the tour have , like Coria . His play at the net is his weakest weapon , but noone can be perfect

DrJules
04-23-2006, 08:46 AM
You do know what you get when you play Rafael; he plays like a wall. Borg did it many years ago. Keep returning the ball until your opponent makes a mistake. It is an incredibly effective method if you have the speed and fitness. The faster the court the more difficult for this approach to work.

Only stratergy is to overpower and hit through the wall; James Blake has achieved this (US Open + Indian Wells) and Berdyck (Cincinnati) both players having power.

Many tennis fans find this approach negative and boring prefering the creative stroke play of e.g. a McEnroe,

Allez
04-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Being predictable doesn't necessarily mean you're one dimensional. Karlovic is one dimensional. Rafa is not one dimensional. Rafa has a host of different things he can throw at you like the drop shot etc and he doesn't look like an absolute clown when he approaches the net either. He has great reflexes even though his volleying technique is not as great as Pete Sampras/ Rafter/ Henman. And nothing stops him from going for winners either. Just because he chooses to grind out his opponents doesn't mean he can't hit clean winners all over the place if he wants to. Rogi will look like a fool if Nadal beats him today, especially if it's a straight sets loss. Fingers crossed he's really figured out how to deal with this "one dimensional" player.

Rogiman
04-23-2006, 09:14 AM
What's the big deal...?
Does it surprise anyone that Nadal is one-dimensional?
I think even his fans know that.

hitchhiker
04-23-2006, 09:19 AM
nadal is multi dimensional people............the ball can spin right or left

Rogiman
04-23-2006, 09:22 AM
nadal is multi dimensional people............the ball can spin right or left
He also grunts, does that count as another dimension?

hitchhiker
04-23-2006, 09:23 AM
He also grunts, does that count as another dimension?

yes and if all of above doesnt work the wall throws a brick at opponent head

Rogiman
04-23-2006, 09:24 AM
yes and if all of above doesnt work the wall throws a brick at opponent head
How about the "vamos"?
I think that's an altogether different dimension.

hitchhiker
04-23-2006, 09:26 AM
How about the "vamos"?
I think that's an altogether different dimension.

it depends whether its a straight vamos or if its a super duper vamos + retarded dance combination

Rogiman
04-23-2006, 09:31 AM
it depends whether its a straight vamos or if its a super duper vamos + retarded dance combination
So we've already got the right spin, the left spin, the grunt, the brick, the straight vamos and the super duper vamos (+retard dance), that's already 6 dimensions, shame on you Roger!

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Unnecessary comment! :rolleyes: The one-dimensional player owns you 3-1. :haha:

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-23-2006, 09:40 AM
I agree that Nadal is a unidimentional player although there's no doubt he's very effective at what he does. But Roger better back up his words, and I'm rooting for him to do it. Take the title!

Mrs. B
04-23-2006, 09:42 AM
someone made a lot of vcash on this thread! :devil:

proteus
04-23-2006, 09:56 AM
It's explained in this Matthew Cronin article on TennisReporters.net: Media not being protectionist about ATP interview policy (http://tennisreporters.net/itwa_bodo_042006.html).

This is precisely why that 24 hour delay policy is so pathetic; the amount of times players have been misrepresented by selective quotation is enormous. It would be interesting to see the comments in context; except that by the time they're released who's interested? And the ATP panders to these interviewers at the expense of the players and fans. Calling this protectionism is an understatement.

Cashif
04-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Whether Rafa is One-dimensional or not is irrelevant; the problem here is Roger saying this-him being considered Classy and such..Roger is becoming arrogant after every victory IMO..

Go NADAL!!

Monteque
04-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Fortunately, it's came from Federer's mouth not others. :cool:

mallorn
04-23-2006, 10:32 AM
The full transcript is up.

http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/en/players/interviews/stories/06_federer6.asp

Mrs. B
04-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Q. Is playing Rafael on clay one of the highlights of the season for you? Is that something you look forward to?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, absolutely. I think when I play him, usually now it's in the finals, which is obviously exciting. I think on clay right away, you know, it's gonna give me a direction, you know, if I will play him at the French or elsewhere that, you know, how I've got to play him in the future. The more I play him, I think the better it is for me. That's just the way I see it when I play against him. Because he's quite one dimensional with his game. I said after Dubai I actually felt pretty good playing against him. I thought I actually saw, you know, the way I should play against him. But, again, it's not going to give me any success; I've got to beat him.

Tomorrow I've got an opportunity, you know, one more. I think that's actually good leading up into the clay court season, I can right away play against a tough player like Rafael .
---------------------------

eh voila, there's the whole Q&A. bad bad boy arrogant Roger. :p

oz_boz
04-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Best defensive game on tour, thanks to great anticipation, speed, consistency and stamina
Super heavy and stable forehand, extremely reliable backhand, good shots on the run from both wings
Decent serve, high percentage first serve with a load of spin, lefty advantage
Nice touch, OK volleys
Great strategic abilities, knows when to switch to attack

Lots of dimensions as far as I can see. Add a never say die-attitude to that and you end up with a 3-1 H2H against a tennis legend.

Castafiore
04-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the link to the transcripts, Mallorn.

Q. Once again, Federer always said that he doesn't like to play you because you put pressure on his backhand with your forehand, so the strategy is quite simple: To play his backhand.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, very simple (laughter).

If you look the window, is very, very easy, no (laughing)? Why all the players don't do the same, no?

Maybe not easy, no.

Q. You could do it in Dubai .

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, in Dubai .

I gonna try my best. I gonna try play aggressive. I gonna try play with determination. And that's the chance, no? No more chances. Play good, play with good determination, and play with confidence for the victory, no? And if he play very good and beat me, so congratulation, no.

So for me it's okay. Good tournament, sure, to stay in the final. Tomorrow I have a nice match and I want to enjoy playing good.
:yeah:

Good luck, Rafa! :)

oz_boz
04-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Rafael Nadal: [...]And if he play very good and beat me, so congratulation, no.

No congrats? That's not a good thing to say. A sore loser the kid is ;).
Anyway, go Rog! At least take a set off him, please :unsure:

Himura
04-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I don`t understand you guys. Roger didn`t say anything bad about Nadal. He said that hes game was onedimensional and that is true everbody knows it. Roger never said that it is a negative thing to be onedimensional. He alsow said that he thought he saw a way to play him,i mean he is under 1-3 he must find a way. He never said that he would beat him. After that he said that it's not going to give him any success, he must beat him. I don`t have to comment that.

Some people just hears what they want to hear, Roger never said anything bad about Nadal

Rafa = Fed Killa
04-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Rafa's 1 dimension is 100%.

Roger's 3 d together are 95%.

Ie. Rafa > Roger
Rafa 3 > Roger 1

Federer must be as afraid as his Fedtards to make comments like these.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
04-23-2006, 11:52 AM
What an arrogant asshole, I hope for some huge trashign today, kick his ass, Rafa!:fiery:

jenanun
04-23-2006, 11:54 AM
I don`t understand you guys. Roger didn`t say anything bad about Nadal. He said that hes game was onedimensional and that is true everbody knows it. Roger never said that it is a negative thing to be onedimensional. He alsow said that he thought he saw a way to play him,i mean he is under 1-3 he must find a way. He never said that he would beat him. After that he said that it's not going to give him any success, he must beat him. I don`t have to comment that.

Some people just hears what they want to hear, Roger never said anything bad about Nadal

one dimensional not negative?

to me, it sounds like stupid, shallow, easy.... i dont like that word. no one likes to be described as one dimensional....

nevermind, i dont think its true . (so i must not be everybody then... )

and i think federer is bluffing, he didnt know how to beat him....
or maybe he knows, but he couldnt do it... quite yet....

Allez
04-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Please. Nothing arrogant about what he said. A bit catty, yes. Arrogant, no. Still I wish he'd have said it after beating Nadal.

Action Jackson
04-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Best defensive game on tour, thanks to great anticipation, speed, consistency and stamina
Super heavy and stable forehand, extremely reliable backhand, good shots on the run from both wings
Decent serve, high percentage first serve with a load of spin, lefty advantage
Nice touch, OK volleys
Great strategic abilities, knows when to switch to attack

Lots of dimensions as far as I can see. Add a never say die-attitude to that and you end up with a 3-1 H2H against a tennis legend.

Kom igjen, det e umogleg å brukar fornuft på GM.

Seriously, he doesn't have to look good and does what's the best thing for him and the mentality he has along with what you stated helps as well.

veyonce
04-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Castafiore
Rafael Nadal: [...]And if he play very good and beat me, so congratulation, no.

No congrats? That's not a good thing to say. A sore loser the kid is ;).
Anyway, go Rog! At least take a set off him, please :unsure:

No.. You misinterpreted that sentence. Most spaniards have a habit of ending their sentences with a 'no' in English. If he meant no congrats, he would have said ....so no congratulation. If you read 1 of Rafa's transcripts, you'll know what I am talking about.

Q. If you have to play Federer on clay, do you prefer to play best of three sets or you prefer to play him best of five? You think you have more chances when the match is longer or when is shorter?

RAFAEL NADAL: If I am good physic, I don't know now, no. I don't know if I am in my best performance physical because I begin late, and after injuries not sure.

But today I play a tough match, and, sure, I was tired in the first set, but after I can run, I can play good too, no? Normally, I can play, I prefer play best of five, no.

Gulliver
04-23-2006, 12:03 PM
He knows if he loses those comments may haunt him as he's almost certainly going to be asked about them.

So what? He's lived with constant reminders of his DC loss to Hewitt, his SF loss to Safin, seeing Nalbandian hold up the TMC trophy, seeing Nadal hold up the Dubai trophy and if he has to see the one dimensional (i.e superficial, lacking depth) Nadal hold up the MC trophy, I can't see him adopting the foetal position in a corner, sobbing "I got it wrong, please forgive me, I am a worthless human being and will now retire from the game in disgrace", (however much his detractors wish he would and think that's a well deserved penalty).

What a storm in a teacup!

oz_boz
04-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Kom igjen, brukar fornuft på denne forum er fel :)

Sorry, my mistake. I meant that
1. Federer is an arrogant piece of shit
2. Nadal is a zero-dimensional fast court-clown
3. I am the only poster on MTF who has a brain

Action Jackson
04-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Sorry, my mistake. I meant that
1. Federer is an arrogant piece of shit
2. Nadal is a zero-dimensional fast court-clown
3. I am the only poster on MTF who has a brain

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/svein_sveynsson/yellowcard.gif

oz_boz
04-23-2006, 12:09 PM
No.. You misinterpreted that sentence. Most spaniards have a habit of ending their sentences with a 'no' in English. If he meant no congrats, he would have said ....so no congratulation. If you read 1 of Rafa's transcripts, you'll know what I am talking about.

I know what you are talking about veyonce. Tht's why I added a ;) next to the words "sore loser". That wasn't particulary funny, though. Just wasting some time of yours and mine ;).

OddJob
04-23-2006, 12:09 PM
"He's quite one-dimensional with his game," Federer said. "After Dubai, I thought I actually saw the way I should play against him. The more I play him, the better it is for me."

:haha: The more u play Rafa the more u lose!

Mrs. B
04-23-2006, 12:10 PM

no, you misinterpreted it. see his smiley after the sentence. ;)

Neely
04-23-2006, 12:19 PM
The borderline between having a thought on something and actually stating this without rewording your comments just for the sake to make them sound nice, just speaking your mind, being honest and having declared this comment as 'arrogant' by a part of the public who does not like to hear that is truely marginal.

joeb_uk
04-23-2006, 12:22 PM
What he says is true, but it doesnt stop the fact he keeps getting beaten :D Prepare for another beatdown roger :D Rafa is going to make his little bitch squeal like a piggy again today :devil:

Hank777
04-23-2006, 12:28 PM
... Welleh Rhogher he a bit ARROGANT, NO ?
... He PLAY good, I PLAY GOOD, but ghe think ghe should win always, NO ?

Ghe say I only "una DImension" but ghe know, my una DiMENSION ghoing to kick ghis butt, NO?

... Roger great NO, buteh RAFA also GOOD, NO?

:D :p :D

Hope RAFA kicks his but, man maybe we should say well Roger's got all the shots so he's a bit one-dimensional that way ... come on ... get over urself ?? :o

Tracy89
04-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Tssss, Fed show some respect to others, s'il vous plaît!!
This one dimensional player did kick your ass in Dubai!! :o

Tracy89
04-23-2006, 12:31 PM
What he says is true, but it doesnt stop the fact he keeps getting beaten :D Prepare for another beatdown roger :D Rafa is going to make his little bitch squeal like a piggy again today :devil:
That's the spirit!!!! :worship:

zimzim
04-23-2006, 01:54 PM
I agree with Roger 100%...I've been following all Nadal's games in Mote Carlo and I must say he is such a bore. The more I watch him play, the more I yearn to watch the beautiful game Federer plays. Maybe that's why I love Gasquet....I love watching beautiful tennis, with a lot of variety, not one dimensional ball banging, after all am a tennis fan first and foremost for the entertainment.

Rafa = Fed Killa
04-23-2006, 02:06 PM
The "ballet tennis" of Federer is getting beat down so far. (4-1)

I love Nadal's tennis, so much heart, courage and desire.

bandabou
04-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, yeah...but you have to learn how to beat him first.

dEcu_RF
04-23-2006, 02:11 PM
The "ballet tennis" of Federer is getting beat down so far. (4-1)

I love Nadal's tennis, so much heart, courage and desire.
Nadal's game is boring ... probably as boring as canada

Rafa = Fed Killa
04-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Another poor Fedtard is about to break down in tears. :devil:
Fun way to start a morning. :D

dEcu_RF
04-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Another poor Fedtard is about to break down in tears. :devil:
Fun way to start a morning. :D
like I'm gonna pay attention to what a canadian has to say about tennis, let alone nadal. I'm sure you can't even pronounce his name right. STICK TO CANANDIAN TENNIS

almouchie
04-23-2006, 02:43 PM
many joke around as much as u want
atm the only threat to federer, the one player giving him trouble & not letting run thru the tour undesturbed is RAFAEL NADAL
if for nothing else give him credit
for a 19 years playing like he is & believing in his chances & acting very maturely
U can like him or hate, but his game is effective.
A player who can change his tactics & mixes things, cannt be all that one dimensional
to be one player comes to mind as far 1 dimensional & that Andy Roddick

zimzim
04-23-2006, 02:59 PM
many joke around as much as u want
atm the only threat to federer, the one player giving him trouble & not letting run thru the tour undesturbed is RAFAEL NADAL
if for nothing else give him credit
for a 19 years playing like he is & believing in his chances & acting very maturely
U can like him or hate, but his game is effective.
A player who can change his tactics & mixes things, cannt be all that one dimensional
to be one player comes to mind as far 1 dimensional & that Andy RoddickIn as much as I don't enjoy Nadal's one dimensional game, I think it would be stupid of him to change it. Why change a winning game? Nadal plays tennis to win, and not to entertain so he should stick to what brings him success. I admire him for having so much composure and desire, for one so young.

Alexiana
04-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Come on Rafa :bigclap: finish him off :cool:

kapranos
04-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Well it looks like "one-dimensional" Nadal is taking care of "multi-dimensional" Federer. Maybe Fed should refined one of his dimensions. :tape:

star
04-23-2006, 04:59 PM
1-D Nadal 3-D Federer 15-D Santoror. :)

star
04-23-2006, 05:00 PM
In as much as I don't enjoy Nadal's one dimensional game, I think it would be stupid of him to change it. Why change a winning game? Nadal plays tennis to win, and not to entertain so he should stick to what brings him success. I admire him for having so much composure and desire, for one so young.

Nadal entertains me plenty. :)

kapranos
04-23-2006, 05:23 PM
0-D Rusedski.

savesthedizzle
04-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Maybe you'll figure him out next time Roger. :p

Scotso
04-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Roger :worship:

prima donna
04-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Nice to see that certain types of people have input.

Especially when Roger put their favorites in their place even playing at 20 percent in a 1st round match.

Especially when their favorites are suspended from the tour for steroids.

Especially when no one that they support could come close to competing at the level Roger did today.

amierin
04-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Be careful talking smack before a match. Karma is the uberBitch as we all know.

lilfairyprincess
04-23-2006, 05:49 PM

loving this......

prima donna
04-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Be careful talking smack before a match. Karma is the uberBitch as we all know.

Care to describe for me what exactly "talking smack is"

Just incase you haven't noticed, this isn't boxing, this isn't NBA, NFL or NHL.

There is no such thing as talking smack in tennis.

Look at the garbage Nadal has dragged in, go back to hogging down pork grinds and screaming at the television during Super Bowl Sunday.

Roger simply stated a fact, even with nearly 80 UFE the match goes to a 4th set tie break. Explain that to me. Nadal is the best pusher of all pushers, but for the last time, he is torture for Roger and who knows. That may never ever change.

tangerine_dream
04-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Well, well, well. Rafa has once again done what nobody else can do: expose the Emporer Wearing No Clothes.

The Fedtards will be hiding for bit after this, embarassed at the thought of their "classy" Roger insulting Rafa and then being unable to back up his own words.

This is only Roger's 2nd loss of the year (to the same guy). Naturally, they'll act like it's the end of the world that Roger lost on clay to a clay god.

star
04-23-2006, 05:54 PM
I hope it doesn't change. I like my pork grinds with Roger torture. :)

Care to describe for me what exactly "talking smack is"

Just incase you haven't noticed, this isn't boxing, this isn't NBA, NFL or NHL.

There is no such thing as talking smack in tennis.

Look at the garbage Nadal has dragged in, go back to hogging down pork grinds and screaming at the television during Super Bowl Sunday.

Roger simply stated a fact, even with nearly 80 UFE the match goes to a 4th set tie break. Explain that to me. Nadal is the best pusher of all pushers, but for the last time, he is torture for Roger and who knows. That may never ever change.

Allez
04-23-2006, 05:59 PM
I just knew Rogers comments would come back to bite him in the ass. The fact that he even said that showed that he's afraid of Rafa and was perhaps trying to bait him. However that is not the sort of thing you want to say about Nadal. He'll rip you to shreds. Either shut up, or build him up to be the best ever and then watch him crumble under the pressure of having to live up to the expectations. Be smart Rogi :shout::shout::shout: Now all the anti feds are going to remind us of this stupid comment until Rogi beats Nadal.

Lala186
04-23-2006, 05:59 PM
WELL ROGER PLAYED FANTASTIC TODAY

BUT IT´S A FACT THAT NADAL IS ONLY CLAY

Skyward
04-23-2006, 06:01 PM
I don't agree with the comment and its timing is not the greatest. Federer knows that a lot of one-dimensional players reached the top (Agassi and Hewitt among others). I did not read the interview. Did Roger say that he will win the match because Rafa is one-dimensional?

Allez
04-23-2006, 06:03 PM
WELL ROGER PLAYED FANTASTIC TODAY

BUT IT´S A FACT THAT NADAL IS ONLY CLAY

Please don't show your ignorance. Nadal has beaten Roger TWICE on hard courts. Being a Roger fan should not blind you to the facts....

Allez
04-23-2006, 06:07 PM
I don't agree with the comment and its timing is not the greatest. Federer knows that a lot of one-dimensional players reached the top (Agassi and Hewitt among others). I did not read the interview. Did Roger say that he will win the match because Rafa is one-dimensional?

Well he didn't have to say that. The implication was that Nadal is quite limited in what he can do and that all that Roger had to do was figure out this one dimension and then the rest would be history. It was a stupid comment, even as a Roger fan I can see that.

nkhera1
04-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Nice to see that certain types of people have input.

Especially when Roger put their favorites in their place even playing at 20 percent in a 1st round match.

Especially when their favorites are suspended from the tour for steroids.

Especially when no one that they support could come close to competing at the level Roger did today.

So the players we support should determine our credibility? Are you saying that in order for us to be "cool" we should support only good players.

blosson
04-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Well it looks like "one-dimensional" Nadal is taking care of "multi-dimensional" Federer. Maybe Fed should refined one of his dimensions. :tape:

:lol: How many dimensions does tennis have?

nkhera1
04-23-2006, 06:10 PM
Fortunately, it's came from Federer's mouth not others. :cool:

If anyone else said that, there would have been a field day in MTF.

World Beater
04-23-2006, 06:12 PM

his response is kind of funny.

His expectations were to reach the qf...he said it is good for him that he plays him early in the season. There is no implication of victory...but he does say the more he plays him, the better it is because rafa is 1-D.

Q. Is playing Rafael on clay one of the highlights of the season for you? Is that something you look forward to?

ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, absolutely. I think when I play him, usually now it's in the finals, which is obviously exciting. I think on clay right away, you know, it's gonna give me a direction, you know, if I will play him at the French or elsewhere that, you know, how I've got to play him in the future. The more I play him, I think the better it is for me. That's just the way I see it when I play against him. Because he's quite one dimensional with his game. I said after Dubai I actually felt pretty good playing against him. I thought I actually saw, you know, the way I should play against him. But, again, it's not going to give me any success; I've got to beat him.

Tomorrow I've got an opportunity, you know, one more. I think that's actually good leading up into the clay court season, I can right away play against a tough player like Rafael .

Mechlan
04-23-2006, 06:13 PM
This thread perfectly illustrates the problem with trying to argue this on a web board - most fans already biased one way or another, and this out-of-context quote hasn't really changed anyone's opinion, nor is it likely to. Most people who disliked/resented Roger will simply seize this as another reason/excuse to do so, while many people who like him will defend him to the hilt no matter what. :shrug:

People on both sides need to realize that what was quoted wasn't the nicest thing Roger could say, but neither was it really meant to be derogatory. A look at the context of the quote will tell you right away that Roger really views Rafa as a tough opponent and was really just thinking out loud as to how he might be able to beat him.

So he said something artless that people who already don't like him are going to interpret in the worst possible way - whatever. :shrug: Heaven forbid that a celebrity who's being interviewed and quoted all the time say one sentence that wasn't scripted and tactful. :rolleyes:

And congrats to Rafa for a great win today - surpassing Borg's streak is just around the corner! :devil: Hugs to Rogi for putting in so much effort into today's final. :hug:

This post should be stickied and this thread closed. Well said.

Skyward
04-23-2006, 06:14 PM
The implication was that Nadal is quite limited in what he can do and that all that Roger had to do was figure out this one dimension and then the rest would be history.

No, it doesn't work like this. An one-dimensional player can have a couple of weapons that will win him 70 matches.

Alvarillo
04-23-2006, 06:14 PM
......... one-dimenssional beats you how he wants so ..... :rolleyes: :o
:p Rogelio :devil:

Wannabeknowitall
04-23-2006, 06:16 PM
I just knew Rogers comments would come back to bite him in the ass. The fact that he even said that showed that he's afraid of Rafa and was perhaps trying to bait him. However that is not the sort of thing you want to say about Nadal. He'll rip you to shreds. Either shut up, or build him up to be the best ever and then watch him crumble under the pressure of having to live up to the expectations. Be smart Rogi :shout::shout::shout: Now all the anti feds are going to remind us of this stupid comment until Rogi beats Nadal.

I'm actually starting to believe that the comment might not bite him in the ass after all.
The more Roger plays Rafa the better he will likely get.
That's the kind of player Roger is.
Roger might be able to take Rafa on a clay surface he knows like Hamburg.
It's not an easy task to win Rome and Hamburg back to back.
The weather and the surface really play as opposite as you can get on clay.

Lala186
04-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Please don't show your ignorance. Nadal has beaten Roger TWICE on hard courts. Being a Roger fan should not blind you to the facts....

WELL SORRY SORRY

I FORGET DUBAI

BUT FEDERER IS THE BEST, THIS YEAR HE WILL ROLAND GARROS

nkhera1
04-23-2006, 06:19 PM
When Federer was referring to Nadal's 1-Dimensional game did he mean his style of play or he only has 1 weapon? Because wouldn't Nadal be a baseliner/counter-puncher and that right there is 2 styles of play. Does anyone know the other popular ones? I can only think of those, all-court game, and serve and volley.

MariaV
04-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Haha yeah, now how did this 'one-dimesnional' beat you again? :D :D :devil: :devil:

star
04-23-2006, 06:28 PM
This thread perfectly illustrates the problem with trying to argue this on a web board - most fans already biased one way or another, and this out-of-context quote hasn't really changed anyone's opinion, nor is it likely to. Most people who disliked/resented Roger will simply seize this as another reason/excuse to do so, while many people who like him will defend him to the hilt no matter what. :shrug:

People on both sides need to realize that what was quoted wasn't the nicest thing Roger could say, but neither was it really meant to be derogatory. A look at the context of the quote will tell you right away that Roger really views Rafa as a tough opponent and was really just thinking out loud as to how he might be able to beat him.

So he said something artless that people who already don't like him are going to interpret in the worst possible way - whatever. :shrug: Heaven forbid that a celebrity who's being interviewed and quoted all the time say one sentence that wasn't scripted and tactful. :rolleyes:

And congrats to Rafa for a great win today - surpassing Borg's streak is just around the corner! :devil: Hugs to Rogi for putting in so much effort into today's final. :hug:

Please. Roger is perfectly aware that calling someone "one-dimentsional" is an insult. Yes, he respects Nadal as a tough opponent, but his frustration got the best of him.

MariaV
04-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah, Roger getting frustrated is a SIGHT! :D Once again today. :D :D :D

star
04-23-2006, 06:31 PM
This post should be stickied and this thread closed. Well said.

This thread was started by a Federer fan. :lol:

To me that post was a strict apology for Federer's sneer. It's a sneer no matter how you cut it.

prima donna
04-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Yeah, Roger getting frustrated is a SIGHT! :D Once again today. :D :D :D

Who are you a fan of anyway ?

Marat or Nadal ? Do you only like Nadal because he beats Roger which is something that Marat can't seem to do without an injury being present ?

What is this garbage that you have written ?

connectolove
04-23-2006, 06:38 PM
I can see Rog's point of view, but I believe that Rafa is capable of becoming two and three dimensional, and this is why he is becoming better. He started using his physical force, but after watching him play against Fed today I can see that he is becoming also a mind strategist. He is great and he will keep improving.

MariaV
04-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Who are you a fan of anyway ?

Marat or Nadal ? Do you only like Nadal because he beats Roger which is something that Marat can't seem to do without an injury being present ?

What is this garbage that you have written ?
Oooh poor PD is angry and frustrated too? :hug: ;)
Couldn't it be I'm a fan of both Marat and Rafa? :D And btw I respect Fed too. It was just too fun today so I had to troll a bit. ;)

ugotlobbed
04-23-2006, 06:41 PM
i will say this once and only once, to beat nadal, how do u beat muscle? with brain, so basically just play smarter than him, bc u cannot play more physical than him, cannot have that many unforced error, u have to break his game down which is again, like ive said a million times, nadals weakness is his backhand. gg noobs

connectolove
04-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Nadal is muscle with brains.

mallorn
04-23-2006, 06:46 PM
( And people wonder why I prefer to hang out in the "Shorter Shorts" and "Shirtless Players" threads! :angel: )
:rolls:

Mechlan
04-23-2006, 06:57 PM
To me that post was a strict apology for Federer's sneer. It's a sneer no matter how you cut it.

I'm not denying that it wasn't a respectful thing to say, but look at the context of that interview. Roger was talking about how he wanted to play him after Dubai and said he thought his game was rather one dimensional. It was a response to how he might go about beating Nadal, not a pointed statement meant to diss Rafa. But whatever. I guess we're just on opposite sides of the fence and what J'torian said is true after all. No point discussing it. :shrug:

morningglory
04-23-2006, 06:57 PM
i will say this once and only once, to beat nadal, how do u beat muscle? with brain, so basically just play smarter than him, bc u cannot play more physical than him, cannot have that many unforced error, u have to break his game down which is again, like ive said a million times, nadals weakness is his backhand. gg noobs
no to beat Nadal you have to make sure you're both standing on the green bushy vegetation they call grass ;)

Wulfram
04-23-2006, 07:25 PM
This thread was started by a Federer fan. :lol:

If it was a sneer, it was an accurate one, so what's the problem?

dkw
04-23-2006, 07:36 PM

I don't know :shrug: Maybe when you have everything it's not so nice to sh*t on what other people have. (IMHO of course).

star
04-23-2006, 09:11 PM

Let me draw you a picture -- Just assuming the statement was accurate.

There is a person who has unfortunate facial features, and you say,... He's really quite ugly.

It's an acurrate statement.. And then you say it to a whole roomful of people in a way that is certain to get back to the unfortunate one. See, that's not nice.

Then let's just say the "ugly" one has managed to steal your last four girlfriends.... now you look not only "not nice" but cranky and mean spirited and jealous.

World Beater
04-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Then let's just say the "ugly" one has managed to steal your last four girlfriends.... now you look not only "not nice" but cranky and mean spirited and jealous.

everyone has had their moments. People say things in frustration sometimes. I dont know why you are looking into it so much.

federer is a sore loser. Thats part of what makes him such a great player. His unwillingness to say he isnt good enough to beat nadal.

Even your angel nadal has had his.

star
04-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Nadal isn't my angel. :) But he is a sweetie.

I agree that everyone has his/her moments. My objection is posters trying to paint his statements as being "merely objective" or "accurate." etc. Federer clearly thinks he's much the better player than Nadal, doesn't like people questioning that fact, and is frustrated that he can't win. Accept that "your" guy said something kind of mean-spirited and move on rather than trying to make it something it isn't.

It's not the first time Federer has said something snarky and won't be the last. He's human.

World Beater
04-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Nadal isn't my angel. :) But he is a sweetie.

I agree that everyone has his/her moments. My objection is posters trying to paint his statements as being "merely objective" or "accurate." etc. Federer clearly thinks he's much the better player than Nadal, doesn't like people questioning that fact, and is frustrated that he can't win. Accept that "your" guy said something kind of mean-spirited and move on rather than trying to make it something it isn't.

It's not the first time Federer has said something snarky and won't be the last. He's human.

yes i totally agree with this post! :wavey:

but federer did acknowledge that nadal was a tough player and that it was good to face him this early in the season. He seems to take it as a learning experience.

maybe you should visit the federer forum, and you will see we werent too thrilled with his comments. The fact that the poster is a federer fan is evidence enough.

He even said some really :o comments after the final was over.

star
04-23-2006, 09:44 PM
I read those comments. Embarassing for sure.

I read all of Federer's interview. He's said the same things before, -- just in harsher terms this time.

Looking at it from Federer's perspective, he's got to keep thinking he's the best player out there and be positive about his game.

ezekiel
04-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Roger screwed up by making it personal with his one dimensional remark but he just may look to make it up in the future

Gonzo Hates Me!
04-23-2006, 10:11 PM
What a douche you are Federer. If you're gonna talk the talk, walk the walk. LOL. 'Cause I don't think a one-dimensional game can continually defeat your 800-dimensional game.

Jogy
04-23-2006, 11:50 PM
haha :haha:
great result from Federer to loose to one dimensional Nadal again :haha:

what a prick Federer is with his asshole comments :rolls:

Allez
04-23-2006, 11:52 PM
haha :haha:
what a prick Federer is with his asshole comments :rolls:

So is that "has-been" Tommy Haas.

Next...

Raquel
04-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Well, well, well. Rafa has once again done what nobody else can do: expose the Emporer Wearing No Clothes.
In The Emporer's New Clothes the little boy spoke up and exposed the Emporer for what he was. The Emporer had nothing special and the little boy said so. I think Roger's career records have shown though, that he does in fact have clothes. Lots of them.

Tracy89
04-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Now who's one dimensional huh!

disturb3d
04-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Now who's one dimensional huh!Nadal.

Chloe le Bopper
04-24-2006, 01:13 AM
his response is kind of funny.

His expectations were to reach the qf...he said it is good for him that he plays him early in the season. There is no implication of victory...but he does say the more he plays him, the better it is because rafa is 1-D.

OMG THAT JERK!

Rafa = Fed Killa
04-24-2006, 01:30 AM
One dimensional tennis >>>> Ballet tennis :D

darrinbaker00
04-24-2006, 01:40 AM
Yes, Roger, Rafael is quite one-dimensional with his game, and that one dimension just happens to be opening up a can of Whoop-Ass™ whenever he plays you. ;)

-caelestia-
04-24-2006, 01:55 AM

In The Emporer's New Clothes the little boy spoke up and exposed the Emporer for what he was. The Emporer had nothing special and the little boy said so. I think Roger's career records have shown though, that he does in fact have clothes. Lots of them.

Dear god it's EMPEROR! EMPEROR! not emPORer, that doesn't even sound right.

Skyward
04-24-2006, 02:07 AM
Dear god it's EMPEROR! EMPEROR! not emPORer, that doesn't even sound right.

ChloeLove
04-24-2006, 02:14 AM
Nice job backing up those comments Rogi! :) Today, Rafa had more dimensions than Roger.

morningglory
04-24-2006, 02:19 AM
:haha: at the Emperor comments :haha:
in THIS story, the not-so-little boy stepped right up and pulled down the emperor's pants...

heya
04-24-2006, 02:28 AM
I just found out what a depressed guy Fed is! I never realized this 4 years ago.
The best personality in the whole world and the most popular sportsman. :hearts:

Love,
Me, Myself and I