Why Can't the Argies?! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why Can't the Argies?!

betterthanhenman
04-22-2006, 01:50 PM
...Serve that is. And I'm talking about the top 3 Argentinian players in the world.
Nalbandian, Gaudio and Coria are all held back not entirely, but certainly to a large extent by their below par serving.

If Nalbandian could serve even to an average standard then he could be the world's best. It is the only discernible weakness in his game, besides his fragile psyche. The same can be said for Coria at present. The two of them can do everything but serve well. And the Gaudio serve is also at best, a liability. With the exception of Oli Rochus, surely they have the three weakest serves in the mens top 50.

Is it because their serves were not considered so important when they were developing as juniors? Is it because all three (especially Gaudio and Coria) are short by today's standards? Or, is it just one of those things? One of life's mysteries...

ClaycourtaZzZz.
04-22-2006, 03:21 PM
How about Volandri?

The Daviator
04-22-2006, 03:31 PM
How about Volandri?

Err, he's Italian :unsure:

*Ljubica*
04-22-2006, 03:32 PM
...Serve that is. And I'm talking about the top 3 Argentinian players in the world.
Nalbandian, Gaudio and Coria are all held back not entirely, but certainly to a large extent by their below par serving.

If Nalbandian could serve even to an average standard then he could be the world's best. It is the only discernible weakness in his game, besides his fragile psyche. The same can be said for Coria at present. The two of them can do everything but serve well. And the Gaudio serve is also at best, a liability. With the exception of Oli Rochus, surely they have the three weakest serves in the mens top 50.

Is it because their serves were not considered so important when they were developing as juniors? Is it because all three (especially Gaudio and Coria) are short by today's standards? Or, is it just one of those things? One of life's mysteries...
An Argentine friend of mine (who works in the tennis business there) - once told me that, until fairly recently, the serve was not considered to be an "important" stroke when they were teaching tennis to the kids over there. Instead they were just taught to get the ball in play, and their coaching techniques concentrated on fitness, speed around the court, and on their groundstrokes. This obviously worked when most of the Argentines played primarily on the clay court circuit and didn't do so much on other surfaces, but when they moved onto other surfaces the weakness was exposed. Now, they do teach the kids to work on their serves more - but obviously it wll be the next generation of players that will show the benefit of this.

Generator
04-22-2006, 04:39 PM
In Argentina, tennis became massive thanks to Vilas, whose style resembles the way Nadal plays today: return, run, return, run, return, run until your opponent becomes frustrated. He had a very big heart, a very strong mind and an impecable physical condition. He didn't need a big serve. Soon, people thought that every Argentine player basically had to be like him. Coaches all over the country would try to turn kids into a new Vilas. During a decade and a half, there was a huge gap. Then came players like Coria, Gaudio, Cañas. All of them rely mostly on their speed and their return skills, because that's what they were tought when they were just kids. But there's only one Vilas.

That's my 2 cents.

redsox1133
04-22-2006, 04:59 PM
acasuso has a big serve

betterthanhenman
04-23-2006, 01:26 PM
acasuso has a big serve

He does...which is why I didn't mention him and directed the thread towards the three highest ranked argentinians.

Action Jackson
04-23-2006, 01:29 PM
They teach the serve last among the other skills and considering they mostly play on clay, it's easy to see why initially that they focused on other areas.

If Acasuso is an Argentine and has a big serve and Calleri has a respectable serve as well, why not mention the respective players in the thread, instead of the tabloid headlines.

betterthanhenman
04-23-2006, 01:35 PM
They teach the serve last among the other skills and considering they mostly play on clay, it's easy to see why initially that they focused on other areas.

If Acasuso is an Argentine and has a big serve and Calleri has a respectable serve as well, why not mention the respective players in the thread, instead of the tabloid headlines.

I did immediately in the thread say that I was talking about the top three agentinian players, not all of them.

The thread is essentially about why three outstanding players, all from the same country, have such poor serves.

Peoples
04-23-2006, 01:35 PM
No it's simple. You can't affect the serve technique by drugging yourself.

buddyholly
04-23-2006, 01:37 PM
acasuso has a big serve

Since he is not in the top three this could be taken as evidence that the Argentinians that did not spend time working on their serve made the better decision.

oz_boz
04-23-2006, 01:39 PM
...Serve that is. [...]

Apart from Argentinian tennis being taught on claycourt there is an obvious reason why O. Rochus has a weak serve and Coria and Gaudio don't fare too well either: body height. The taller the better. I think Karlovic agrees ;).

Action Jackson
04-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Apart from Argentinian tennis being taught on claycourt there is an obvious reason why O. Rochus has a weak serve and Coria and Gaudio don't fare too well either: body height. The taller the better. I think Karlovic agrees ;).

In most cases, but Horna isn't a tall guy, but he has a respectable serve.

betterthanhenman
04-23-2006, 01:45 PM
In most cases, but Horna isn't a tall guy, but he has a respectable serve.

Grosjean is the best example

Action Jackson
04-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Grosjean is the best example

To you he is and that's good enough. Yes, he does have a good serve for his size.

keqtqiadv
04-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Err, he's Italian :unsure:

I guess he was contesting it
With the exception of Oli Rochus, surely they have the three weakest serves in the mens top 50.