Is Guille one of the top 5 favourites for RG [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Guille one of the top 5 favourites for RG

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 02:56 PM
This follows a discussion I had with GWH about definitions of darkhorses. It is still early to say, but right now is El Mago in your top 5 likely winners of the French? If not, who makes your most likely 5.

My boring five.... (which wont change in the next few weeks)

Nadal
Federer

Nalbandian (cant see him winning it...or any other slam in the near future)
Safin (cant see him winning it)
Gasquet (cant see him winning...in the future i hope so, but now now)

Would be amazed if the winner didn't come from the top two, which raises an intersting question. Is the French looking like a two-horse race right now. And if so, is that case for every major tournament in tennis is right now anyway?

Action Jackson
04-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Tennis is dead, there is no hope for the game.

The other 126 players in the Slam draws, should just give up and go find another job.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Tennis is dead, there is no hope for the game.

The other 126 players in the Slam draws, should just give up and go find another job.

Sarcasm duly noted, but at this moment in time, I think there will be at most 2 different Grand Slam winners this year.

The other 126 players won't retire and find another job for several reasons. However, a belief that they can win a Major is not one of the reasons. at least 120 of those players will have little or no belief that they can win at the Slams.

Nor am I suggesting this means the death of tennis. Tennis is far from dead as we will be witnessing a rivalry to match and possibly surpass the short-lived Borg-McEnroe one.

Jaap
04-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Coria will struggle to get beyond the 2nd week.

ExpectedWinner
04-21-2006, 03:05 PM
His current version is not a favorite for anything.

Action Jackson
04-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Sarcasm duly noted, but at this moment in time, I think there will be at most 2 different Grand Slam winners this year.

I wasn't being sarcastic I was being truthful.

It's so obvious that it's going to be a Fed/Nadal final, the other players are wasting their time being there.

Watch you change your tune if one of those two doesn't make the final of this tournament?

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Watch you change your tune if one of those two doesn't make the final of this tournament?

I won't...

Personally I am also hoping for another Federer-Nadal final. Any other permutation, leaves Federer or Nadal a huge favourite in the final, unless they both lose their semis and we witness a Gonzalez-Gaudio final. Actually, that would be fun!!!

Action Jackson
04-21-2006, 03:09 PM
I won't...

We'll see that when one of these guys doesn't make a clay final when both are entered.

As for Coria, he has the potential to do it, but the serving issue is his biggest problem.

Jaap
04-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Even if Coria does improve his serve, he will choke when it comes to the crunch as usual.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Even if Coria does improve his serve, he will choke when it comes to the crunch as usual.

I don't see him as a choker.

Deboogle!.
04-21-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't see him as a choker.did you see the 2004 final??????????

gusman890
04-21-2006, 03:14 PM
i mean coria is trying to find his form.

he posted some good wins this week and he should be proud of that.
look at the rest of the scores today and all of them have been blowouts. so its not like he was the only won. sure, he could have done better, but coming back from behind in 2 matches when ur trying to find their form is good enough already. so its not like he lost in the first round or anything, a QF isnt that bad if you think about it, sure he made it to the finals last year, yes because he had alot of confidence as well, but we will just have to see how things go in the next couple of weeks because RG starts in the month rite? only time will tell with coria.

is he still a top 5 pic of mine? yes.

Jaap
04-21-2006, 03:15 PM
I don't see him as a choker.
The list is endless of the amount of times he has choked.

The French open final being the most famous example. That must be the worst choke in the history of tennis.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:15 PM
did you see the 2004 final??????????

I did.

gusman890
04-21-2006, 03:17 PM

The French open final being the most famous example. That must be the worst choke in the history of tennis.

i still believe that the RG '84 final of Mac/Lendl is the worst choke ever.

for some reason, RG is a choke feast.

hitchhiker
04-21-2006, 03:19 PM
we are in clown era

favorites

1. nadal
2. federer

(go down 5 miles)

3. fish
4. lisanrd
5. ljubicic

zicofirol
04-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Gasquet is not going to win, or is he a top 5, he is a choker and does not have the mental game to go deep into slams, yet.

My top 5 are:

Nadal
Federer
Nalbandian (a distant 3rd)
Gaudio (im waiting to see how he does with nadal tomorrow if he gives him a very good match or beats him I think it will give him the confidence to think he can again win RG)
Safin (by default, he is the only one who can beat anyone and lose to anyone also, plus he has won a slam so he has what it takes to win it, but right now its more likely that he goes out the first week than win RG.)

Coria's stay in the tournament will depend on his draw if he gets a good drw he probably goes into the 2nd week if he doesnt then I believe he will lose especially hitting 20+ double faults in 3set matches.

Action Jackson
04-21-2006, 03:20 PM

There have been worse chokes. It's just the size of the match that made it more well known than others.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:21 PM
I just hope Guille doesn't play a joker like Karlovic in the first couple of rounds. Could he possibly lose to Ivo on clay?? :eek:

gusman890
04-21-2006, 03:22 PM
pssft coria should have taken a bathroom break and jacked off just to calm him self down so he could owned gaudio like he was doing before.

believe me, if he did, he would have won.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:23 PM
pssft coria should have taken a bathroom break and jacked off just to calm him self down so he could owned gaudio like he was doing before.

He would have come back even more limp than he was anyway!

gusman890
04-21-2006, 03:24 PM
maybe so, but who knows, masterbation has a good effect on guys, just making them relax and all the negitive thoughts will go away and he could concentrate again.

Action Jackson
04-21-2006, 03:27 PM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/svein_sveynsson/deadhorse.gif http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/svein_sveynsson/deadhorse.gif

daze11
04-21-2006, 03:36 PM
did you see the 2004 final??????????
did you see the 5 finals he won in a row leading up to it? ;)

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:36 PM
There have been worse chokes. It's just the size of the match that made it more well known than others.

Mathieu is the biggest joker, i mean choker the game has ever seen! (well, in my years of watching tennis anyway).

Action Jackson
04-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Mathieu is the biggest joker, i mean choker the game has ever seen! (well, in my years of watching tennis anyway).

All 5 mins of watching is it? :)

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:44 PM
All 5 mins of watching is it? :)

Ouch...

First tennis match I remember watching was during Wimbledon '84.

Julio1974
04-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Today, Coria is not one of the top 5 fav. to win Umag, let alone RG
But if he manages to overcome his service problem, we'll see what may happen.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Ouch...

First tennis match I remember watching was during Wimbledon '84.

Can you think of a bigger choker than PHM?

Hendu
04-21-2006, 03:49 PM
If I have to choose 5:

1.Nadal
2.Federer
3.Gaudio
4.Nalbandian
5.Ferrer

Also considered Robredo, Gonzalez, Ferrero, Moya.

A serveless Coria could make the second week, but I doubt he can beat the top players. If he recovers his serve, then I think he is third, behind Nadal and Federer.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:50 PM
If I have to choose 5:

1.Nadal
2.Federer
3.Gaudio
4.Nalbandian
5.Ferrer

Hope that is a joke!

Julio1974
04-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Can you think of a bigger choker than PHM?

Do you know how many matches did PHM have to win to reach his ranking position?he is one of the best 40 players of tennis in the world (not of his country club, his city, his state, his contry, his continent).

Maybe he is not good enough to be a top 20, but you have no idea how many matches he had to win (without choking) to be there.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Do you know how many matches did PHM have to win to reach his ranking position?he is one of the best 40 players of tennis in the world (not of his country club, his city, his state, his contry, his continent).

Maybe he is not good enough to be a top 20, but you have no idea how many matches he had to win (without choking) to be there.

Nobody chokes every single match.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:53 PM

A bigger choker?

Julio1974
04-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Nobody chokes every single match.

In order to be a top-40, I can assure you that he has won mauch more matches than he lost.

There are people who would give his life to be one of the best 40 lawyers, doctors, engineers in the world.

Hendu
Hope that is a joke!

He asked for the top 5 favorites...

Who would you choose instead of him?

Ferrero and Moya are not better than him right now...

betterthanhenman
In order to be a top-40, I can assure you that he has won mauch more matches than he lost.

There are people who would give his life to be one of the best 40 lawyers, doctors, engineers in the world.

A bigger choker?

Action Jackson
04-21-2006, 03:56 PM
A bigger choker?

Mecir, Jaite, would you like me to keep going?

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:56 PM
He asked for the top 5 favorites...

Who would you choose instead of him?

Ferrero and Moya are not better than him right now...

Remind me of Ferrer's best performance at a Grand Slam...

Julio1974
04-21-2006, 03:57 PM
A bigger choker?

The response is: we don't know who they are because they never got there. Some never were able to go through the inter-club tournaments. Other were never able to succeed in futures. Others stayed playing challengers all their life. PHM passed all this stages with success and that's why he is there.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 03:58 PM
Mecir, Jaite, would you like me to keep going?

Didn't see enough of Jaite. Besides the direction was directed to someone else so stop ruining it for me. If Mathieu was on the big stages and in the big matches that Mecir was, I think we would see even more choking from him. He chokes the 2nd round of tournaments, nevermind the finals.

Action Jackson
04-21-2006, 03:58 PM

QF, same as Ljubo.

Remind me when you use knee-jerk reactions? :)

Action Jackson
04-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Didn't see enough of Jaite. Besides the direction was directed to someone else so stop ruining it for me. If Mathieu was on the big stages and in the big matches that Mecir was, I think we would see even more choking from him. He chokes the 2nd round of tournaments, nevermind the finals.

You wanted to play, so I am playing.

NATAS81
04-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Right now he isn't.

Gaudio, Nadal, Federer, Ferrero, Gonzalez are better.

He has time to work on his serve and improve his luck, though.

Hell, even Soderling could beat him now.

I think he will make some SFs and become a T5 threat by the time RG rolls around, though.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Right now he isn't.

Gaudio, Nadal, Federer, Ferrero, Gonzalez are better.

He has time to work on his serve and improve his luck, though.

Hell, even Soderling could beat him now.

I think he will make some SFs and become a T5 threat by the time RG rolls around, though.

That is optimistic Mrs Soderling...

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 04:01 PM
QF, same as Ljubo.

Remind me when you use knee-jerk reactions? :)

Lol. Difference is that Ljubo has under-achieved at Slams and clearly has the potential to win the major tournaments. Can we say the same for David?

Hendu
04-21-2006, 04:02 PM

You didn't answer my question....

*Ljubica*
04-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Nadal
Federer
Safin
Gaudio
.........and yes - I'll go with Ferrer as well. He is consistent, clay is his favourite surface , he fights for every point - and if people like Verkerk can get to an RG Final then David can win one!!

As for Coria - he used to be a huge contender - but with the serving problems he doesn't stand a chance right now in my opinion. To try and make up for the serve failures, he runs around all over the place and totally exhausts himself - he looked like he was about to collapse in today's match after a couple of long, 3-set matches this week - so I can't see him physically being able to stand 2 weeks of 5 set matches until his serve improves enough to give him some more cheap points.

Action Jackson
Lol. Difference is that Ljubo has under-achieved at Slams and clearly has the potential to win the major tournaments. Can we say the same for David?

Not the point, the question was answered. Doesn't mean you have to like the answer.

Still waiting for your next knee-jerk reaction thread. It shouldn't be too far away. :)

betterthanhenman
You didn't answer my question....

The first post of the thread answers it.

Not to mention the other 10 or 15 players I put ahead of him.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Not the point, the question was answered. Doesn't mean you have to like the answer.

Still waiting for your next knee-jerk reaction thread. It shouldn't be too far away. :)

Next time someone strikes the tendon with a hammer I guess.

PaulieM
04-21-2006, 04:05 PM
maybe so, but who knows, masterbation has a good effect on guys, just making them relax and all the negitive thoughts will go away and he could concentrate again.
i've heard that the effects on athletic performance are actually generally negative. apparently it relaxes you a bit too much, you lose the competitive edge. :shrug:

as for coria... i'd put him in my top 5 for RG but that's mostly just because i like him and i'm hoping to see him do well, rather than anything to do with his current form. :awww:

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Nadal
Federer
Safin
Gaudio
.........and yes - I'll go with Ferrer as well. He is consistent, ccay is his favourite surface , he fights for every point - and if people like Verkerk can get to an RG Final then David can win one!!

Look at Ferrer's game and look at Verkerk's. Playing well, David still has very limited potential. Playing well, Martin could and did steamroll players.

Action Jackson
04-21-2006, 04:08 PM
Next time someone strikes the tendon with a hammer I guess.

Tomorrow.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Tomorrow.

L3, L4

The nerve root...

gusman890
04-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Coria will come around for the FO..just watch ;)

Hendu
04-21-2006, 04:11 PM
The first post of the thread answers it.

Not to mention the other 10 or 15 players I put ahead of him.

Would you please name those 10 or 15 players who have better chances than Ferrer in RG? I am intrigued...

Oh, and what was Gasquet's best performance at a Grand Slam?

*Ljubica*
04-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Look at Ferrer's game and look at Verkerk's. Playing well, David still has very limited potential. Playing well, Martin could and did steamroll players.
I agree that David has some limitations in his game - and his performance against Federer this afternoon showed them up badly. But I still think he is more likely to get to the Final than some of the other "likely contenders" like Moya, Ferrero etc

I guess I coud have added Gonzalez to my list though - he is so inconsistent that you never really know what to expect from him - but he certainly has the talent to win a Grand Slam somewhere in his career, I'm sure.

Action Jackson
04-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Apart from the usual knee jerk reactions from the OP.

Coria well it depends on his draw, whether it's heavy or not among other things, but a lot can happen between now and RG. I am not going to rule him out.

federated
04-21-2006, 04:18 PM
I wasn't being sarcastic I was being truthful.

It's so obvious that it's going to be a Fed/Nadal final, the other players are wasting their time being there.

I'd love to be wasting my time for a 5K to 500K payout. ;) :tennis:

I'd say coria is a dark horse if he can deal with his demeti(EV)a.

Julio1974
04-21-2006, 04:26 PM
Ferrer has more chanches of getting further in RG than Feña Gonzalez. But I think Feña has more chances than Ferrer of winning it. I don't know if it sounds logical.

Julio1974
04-21-2006, 04:27 PM
My Top 5 is
1) Nadal
2) Federer
3) Safin
4) Feña Gonzalez
5) gaudio

BATES
04-21-2006, 04:32 PM
There are 2 main favourites:
1- Nadal
2- Federer

Then comes a second line
Gaudio, Gonzalez, Coria, Ferrero, Ljubicic(?)

Hendu
04-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Ferrer has more chanches of getting further in RG than Feña Gonzalez. But I think Feña has more chances than Ferrer of winning it. I don't know if it sounds logical.

It does, and I agree.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-21-2006, 04:41 PM
IMO Top 5 for RG are:
Nadal,Federer,Coria,Gaudio,Acasuso.

doublebackhand
04-21-2006, 05:01 PM
I dont understand why Safin is getting so many nods from the posters here? At this moment, he is not the top 5 fave to win any tournaments, much less a slam.

fadou
04-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Would you please name those 10 or 15 players who have better chances than Ferrer in RG? I am intrigued...

Oh, and what was Gasquet's best performance at a Grand Slam?

The best performance at a GS are:
1/16 at USopen ( match lost against ginepri)
1/16 at wimbledon (match lost against nalbandian)
third tour (match lost against nadal) but he reached semifinal of monte-carlo (lost against nadal) and final of hambourg (lost against federer)

gasquet is very talented on any surfaces but i hope that he won't be a choker like the others french player (phm).
i'm sure that Gasquet is more talented than nadal but contrary to him, he hasn't the winner mental

fadou
04-21-2006, 05:44 PM
I dont understand why Safin is getting so many nods from the posters here? At this moment, he is not the top 5 fave to win any tournaments, much less a slam.

because safin is just Mr unpredicable :)

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-21-2006, 06:39 PM
I agree. He just went out 1st rd to Mathieu of all people, to count him among the favourites is crazy. The same goes for Gasquet. I mean I love them both but what the hell are they doing among the faves? Davydenko has a better shot then them.

As for Coria, anyone who discounts him on the dirt is delusional. If his serving woes continue, it'll be extremely hard for him to go deep. But not impossible.

betterthanhenman
04-21-2006, 09:00 PM

More chance of winning RG than Ferrer...
Federer
Nadal
Nalbandian
Safin
Ljubicic
Davydenko
Gaudio
Coria
Gonzalez
Acasuso
Baghdatis
Berdych
Seppi
Moya
Grosjean
Monfils
Almagro
Chela
Andreev

All can be justified. Am not claiming all are better on clay than Ferrer. But all would be more likely to win in Paris than him...in my opinion.

AsianSensation
04-21-2006, 09:40 PM
1. Nadal
2. Federer
3. Gaudio
4. Nalbandian
5. Gonzalez

Safin should be no where near the top of the list. I love him as much as the next person, but come on now....the praise is just getting ridiculous.

LALEGION
04-21-2006, 09:55 PM
1.Nadal
2.Gaudio
3.Coria
4.Nalbandian
5.Federer

Nathaliia
04-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Monfils - Chucho :rocker2: Tired of Federer - Nadal :rolleyes: however this is the only sane answer that comes to the mind.

But Roland Garros is the thing of witty tournament that there are always some bit underappreciated (or hell underappreciated) players who make it up to high rounds and last years they tended to be from Argentina.

However, Coria seems too weak for me this year. Maybe next year if he finds himself. Would more think about Acasuso, Calleri.

keqtqiadv
04-21-2006, 10:01 PM
1-Nadal
2-Federer
3-Gaudio
4-Davydenko
5-Ferrero

spencercarlos
04-21-2006, 10:05 PM
This follows a discussion I had with GWH about definitions of darkhorses. It is still early to say, but right now is El Mago in your top 5 likely winners of the French? If not, who makes your most likely 5.

My boring five.... (which wont change in the next few weeks)

Nadal
Federer

Nalbandian (cant see him winning it...or any other slam in the near future)
Safin (cant see him winning it)
Gasquet (cant see him winning...in the future i hope so, but now now)

Would be amazed if the winner didn't come from the top two, which raises an intersting question. Is the French looking like a two-horse race right now. And if so, is that case for every major tournament in tennis is right now anyway?
He continues with his ridiculous serving problems and you come up with a ridiculous thread as this one.
If he continues to serve 20 something double faults, he will be lucky to reach the fourth round of Roland Garros 2006, and of course may set a record of double faults if he plays five sets :lol:

Himura
04-21-2006, 10:06 PM
1. Nadal
2. Federer
3.Safin (If he finds his best form)
4.Coria(If he finds his serve)
5.Gaudio (Becuse he has the coolest name on the tour)

Blaze
04-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Nadal
Federer
Davydenko
Gaudio
Coria/Ferrer