rofe
04-21-2006, 01:29 PM
:yeah:

Rogiman
04-21-2006, 01:31 PM
All hail the next King Of Clay!

skel1983
I hope he goes on and wins it, i think he will.

TennisGrandSlam
Exciting in set 2

SaFed2005
Take the title this year!!!

Jaffas85
Does Federer play Gaudio next?

SaFed2005
04-21-2006, 01:32 PM
I know Nadal broke his hardcourts win streak. I hope he breaks Nadal's clay streak ;)

Yappa
Ferrer almost came back from two breaks down in the 2nd but Federer managed to kill those two rebreak chances at 4:3, 15:40 and then broke again for the match.

FSRteam
No comment! :yeah:

SaFed2005

I believe that Nadal plays Gaudio

gusman890
winner of gonzo/Luby.

take the title and blow rafa away !

Rogiman
I know Nadal broke his hardcourts win streak. I hope he breaks Nadal's clay streak ;)Amen to that, brother! :worship:

R.Federer
04-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Wow! This was supposed to have been a tough encounter
What happened? Someone who watched: did ferrer not have enough?

Funny, Roge said after his 6-1 6-4 HC victory over davide, that "clay would be a different story" but I don't think he meant it would be easier!

TennisGrandSlam
04-21-2006, 01:33 PM

I. Ljubicic of F. Gonzalez

Rafa = Fed Killa
04-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Federer...King of Clay

:haha::haha::haha:

Good one. Laughs are good for the soul. :D

Congrats on the semis Fed. Dream final edging ever closer.

FSRteam
04-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Anyone around to still claim roger can't play on clay?!? :lol:

Dirk
04-21-2006, 01:35 PM
I didn't see that match, but someone from livescore thread said Ferrer was hurt? Roger looked incredible from the stats in the first set and then David fought hard in the second and it appears Roger went on a walkeabout again and almost lost his lead but then he snapped back to Ninja mode and broke Ferrer again to make up for losing one of his breaks. :)

I would love to see a Roger Gaston final, that way someone I like wins.

bokehlicious
Well done Roger ! Now take the title !

Junes
Good luck in next round!

Dirk
I know Nadal broke his hardcourts win streak. I hope he breaks Nadal's clay streak ;)

From your lips to Roger's ears. ;)

nisabula
04-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Ferrer had nothing at all to hurt Federer, first set from Federer was amazing, his backhand especially was very impressive. In that kind of form no one could trouble him.

federated
04-21-2006, 01:37 PM
another beatdown. :worship:

Yappa
I didn't see that match, but someone from livescore thread said Ferrer was hurt? Roger looked incredible from the stats in the first set and then David fought hard in the second and it appears Roger went on a walkeabout again and almost lost his lead but then he snapped back to Ninja mode and broke Ferrer again to make up for losing one of his breaks. :)

I would love to see a Roger Gaston final, that way someone I like wins.

Yeah Federer really upped his UE ratio in the 2nd set and hit many bh errors.

doublebackhand
I know Nadal broke his hardcourts win streak. I hope he breaks Nadal's clay streak

an eye for an eye? i hope so!!
majestic performance from Roger :worship:

CooCooCachoo
04-21-2006, 01:38 PM
I feel sorry for the people at MC today. Such quick, boring matches :(

nisabula
04-21-2006, 01:39 PM
I feel sorry for the people at MC today. Such quick, boring matches :(

It was not boring

Longshot
Roger 25 winners, 21 UEs
Ferrer 6 winners, 19 UEs

So Ferrer did not play so badly, I thought. But in the first five games, Roger was pretty much flawless.

nobama

I would love to see a Roger Gaston final, that way someone I like wins.Did you see it live? Did Roger go on a walkabout or did Ferrer raise his game? I'll admit I was nervous at 4-2 when Roger was up 40-15 on Ferrer's serve and couldn't break and then was quickly down 15-40 on his own serve. I thought for sure he would get broken. All credit to him for saving those bp's holding serve and breaking Ferrer to win the match. :yeah:

Dirk
Yeah Federer really upped his UE ratio in the 2nd set and hit many bh errors.

It is very good he was about to come back to form in that set. It could have gotten very ugly had he lost that 2nd break. I hope he can maintain his focus with Nadal because he will need it.

Still overall it sounds like he is in amazing form. Shame I can't see him. :(

Saumon
04-21-2006, 01:40 PM
It must have been an exciting match!! :D :D

Dirk
04-21-2006, 01:40 PM
His serve % went way down in the 2nd set too.

Corey Feldman
04-21-2006, 01:41 PM
easy win again :zzz:
all this Fed domination is boring :zzz:

:haha:

Dirk
04-21-2006, 01:42 PM
easy win again :zzz:
all this Fed domination is boring :zzz:

Boring for those who have no appreciation of art.

nobama
04-21-2006, 01:43 PM
It is very good he was about to come back to form in that set. It could have gotten very ugly had he lost that 2nd break. I hope he can maintain his focus with Nadal because he will need it.

Still overall it sounds like he is in amazing form. Shame I can't see him. :(He needs to worry about Gonzo/Ljubicic first.

Longshot
04-21-2006, 01:44 PM
A match with 31 winners in a total of 105 points is not boring.

mangoes
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:....................DAMN!! That's all I can say about that performance........FANTASTIC!!! :banana:

tenniswiz
It must have been an exciting match!! :D :D
Nah, Roger walked all over Ferer. Quite impressive play by Roger, now onto the semis!

Art&Soul
04-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Yoohoo ROGI, so an easy win, hope you beat Rafa in the Final :D

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Yoohoo ROGI, so an easy win, hope you beat Rafa in the Final :D
He sure will! Roger Federer - RG 06 champ!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

Nathaliia
04-21-2006, 01:48 PM
I guess nobody doubted the score before the match :) Good luck in the next match, but honestly saying... the final is already out there :tape:

Saumon
04-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Marat will win it this year... sorry! ;)
Roger can be runner-up if you want :p :shrug:

yanchr
04-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Still too early now? :p

But from his recent matches, at least we can expect sth ;)

TennisGrandSlam
04-21-2006, 01:50 PM

Safin :rolleyes:

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Nah, let Marat win AO 07, which is totally fine by me. :wavey:

Saumon
04-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Nah, let Marat win AO 07, which is totally fine by me. :wavey:
Marat already has an AO title, he prefers to win RG :)

fedsfan1
04-21-2006, 01:54 PM
I saw it live & Roger came out blazing!!! He just out played Ferrer.....anything David threw at him....Roger had the answer!!!

That little hiccup in the 2nd set was due to, i think, that David rallied a little & forced the UE's from Roger. & they long rallies didn't help either!

In the end......beautiful display from Roger......clean shot making & I love to watch him sliding on clay....like a swan on water....so graceful!!!! :worship:

VAMOS ROGER!!!!!!

Himura
04-21-2006, 01:55 PM
He sure will! Roger Federer - RG 06 champ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly I really like Rogi and his style but i don`t think he will beat Nadal if they make it to the Finals. Yes ofcourse he has a change no question about it but it don`t think he will beat him. I`ve said it before the left topspin forehand from Nadal is bothering him. Nadal is really a great clay courter.

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Marat already has an AO title, he prefers to win RG :)
well, tough luck then. :awww:

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Honestly I really like Rogi and his style but i don`t think he will beat Nadal if they make it to the Finals. Yes ofcourse he has a change no question about it but it don`t think he will beat him. I`ve said it before the left topspin forehand from Nadal is bothering him. Nadal is really a great clay courter.
give Roger some time and he'll sure figure out how to counterpunch Nadal's lefty topspin. Sky's the limit for Roger's game, whereas Nadal heavily relies on his physique that will fade away soon enough considering the way he plays the game.

Pea
04-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Congrats Rogi!!! Better matchup I'd say in the next round.

Himura
04-21-2006, 02:07 PM
give Roger some time and he'll sure figure out how to counterpunch Nadal's lefty topspin. Sky's the limit for Roger's game, whereas Nadal heavily relies on his physique that will fade away soon enough considering the way he plays the game.

Totally agree with ya

FSRteam
04-21-2006, 02:12 PM
I find it amazing how this guy can play so well on so different surfaces!!! From grass to clay he can adapt so quickly his game, it is just crazy!

He is for sure the ONE! :worship:

LaTenista
04-21-2006, 02:13 PM
:rolleyes: Why does every thread about Federer have to drag Safin and Nadal into it?

hitchhiker
04-21-2006, 02:14 PM
federer was unplayable in first set and probably would have smashed nadal as well however in second set his level dropped and if he had been playing nadal he would have been good enough to take advantage of it (ferrer wasn't) just as he did in dubai.

also federer always looks better against the counter punchers because if he is playing well he is always on the attack and they cant do much. nadals topspin keeps federer back especially on this surface and wont let him dictate the points.

nadal will win this week especially in a 5 set match.

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 02:14 PM
I find it amazing how this guy can play so well on so different surfaces!!! From grass to clay he can adapt so quickly his game, it is just crazy!

He is for sure the ONE! :worship:
it's surreal, isn't it!? he sure has immense talent and it's kind of scary for his opposition to even think that he's constantly improving his game. :devil:
Go Roger conquer the tennis world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 02:16 PM
federer was unplayable in first set and probably would have smashed nadal as well however in second set his level dropped and if he had been playing nadal he would have been good enough to take advantage of it (ferrer wasn't) just as he did in dubai.

also federer always looks better against the counter punchers because if he is playing well he is always on the attack and they cant do much. nadals topspin keeps federer back especially on this surface and wont let him dictate the points.

i wouldn't count on that.

prima donna
04-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Even if Roger loses to Nadal in the Final, so what ?

It'd be a learning experience.

FSRteam
04-21-2006, 02:20 PM

We'll see! :)

Finally, it will mainly depend on fed's concentration (aptitude to keep a high level of play) if I understand you right?

Howard
04-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Even if Roger loses to Nadal in the Final, so what ?

It'd be a learning experience.I don’t think Federer wants any more “learning experiences” from Nadal. He wants winning experiences.

hitchhiker
04-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Finally, it will mainly depend on fed's concentration (aptitude to keep a high level of play) if I understand you right?

its impossible to play the way federer did in the first set for the whole match which is what he will need to do to take 3 out of 5 sets against nadal.

he couldnt keep it up today. he couldnt keep it up against hewitt in USO, against roddick at wimbledon, against nadal at dubai etc

FSRteam
04-21-2006, 02:23 PM
I don’t think Federer wants any more “learning experiences” from Nadal. He wants winning experiences.

He needs to be patient... only 2 days to go! :)

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 02:25 PM
I don’t think Federer wants any more “learning experiences” from Nadal. He wants winning experiences.
Right on! I'll take Rog in 3 of 5 over Nadal in the final.

FSRteam
04-21-2006, 02:27 PM
its impossible to play the way federer did in the first set for the whole match which is what he will need to do to take 3 out of 5 sets against nadal.

he couldnt keep it up today. he couldnt keep it up against hewitt in USO, against roddick at wimbledon, against nadal at dubai etc

Two of them were over 3 sets and won without dropping a single set and the last in date he "just" choked in the worst moments! Who knows what would have happened in 4 or 5 sets?!? Just remember miami final 2005... :)

tenniswiz
:rolleyes: Why does every thread about Federer have to drag Safin and Nadal into it?
Because Nadal is always in the mix except on grass. Not so sure about Marat.

WF4EVER
I saw it live & Roger came out blazing!!! He just out played Ferrer.....anything David threw at him....Roger had the answer!!!

That little hiccup in the 2nd set was due to, i think, that David rallied a little & forced the UE's from Roger. & they long rallies didn't help either!

In the end......beautiful display from Roger......clean shot making & I love to watch him sliding on clay....like a swan on water....so graceful!!!! :worship:

VAMOS ROGER!!!!!!

ITA. His play went off in the 6th game of both sets. Shocking that he didn't break up 40-0 on Ferrer's serve after the way he played the frist 5 games, tho. In the second his backhand was not as strong as before but credit to Ferrer, he was pressuring him much more.

The match was short but the shot-making was great. Feds forehand was like magic. His footwork was beautiful; I , too, enjoy watching him slide ont he clay.

Congratulations, Roger on bettering your previous experience at MC.

I also like the fact that he's putting more room between him and Nadal in the rankings. I really hope Roger wins this tournament but he's got two more hurdles. Well make that one hurdle. If he meets Nadal in the final, that'd be more like a Kilimanjaro.

Come on, Roger!

NYCtennisfan
04-21-2006, 02:32 PM
What's funny is that people thought Ferrer could hurt Federer just because it was on clay. If you saw thier match in Miami, you know that Ferrer has nothing that can hurt Federer and would have to rely on Federer completely breaking down to have a chance.

Rogiman
04-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Guys, calm down.
To paraphrase Ljubo, when it comes to clay there's the rest of the tour - and there's Rafa, different game, different rules.
I their last two encounters Roger played out of his mind to take a set, but could not keep it up.

As others have already said, Roger's high is way beyond anything Rafa can be, but Rafa is steady as well, playing the same level for the whole match.

Then again, if Roger wins that'll be great :D

LLeytonRules
04-21-2006, 02:38 PM
If we do see a matchup, the pressure will all be on Nadal for once, especially with that streak.I think if they face each other, i hope Roger slices the ball more with his backhand comes to the net when he does.

FSRteam
04-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Guys, calm down.
To paraphrase Ljubo, when it comes to clay there's the rest of the tour - and there's Rafa, different game, different rules.
I their last two encounters Roger played out of his mind to take a set, but could not keep it up.

As others have already said, Roger's high is way beyond anything Rafa can be, but Rafa is steady as well, playing the same level for the whole match.

First except doha I can't remember fed playing out of his mind against nadal and second the one who's been steady for their last 3 matchs is fed and not rafa! Watch the stats, Fed's just been playing great so far while rafa was clearly beyond his standard!

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Guys, calm down.

Yes, I hope Rog can keep it up throughout the whole match and blow Rafa off the court once and for all! :devil:
Go Roger - RG 06 camp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

Jogy
04-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Damn it hard, David!! :banghead: :fiery:
you allowed this ass way too easy a victory :(

NYCtennisfan
04-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Looks like Gonzo is making a comeback in his match against Ivan. Roger should win against either of them unless he has a really crappy day.

tangerine_dream
04-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Wow! This was supposed to have been a tough encounter
It was?

FSRteam
04-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Damn it hard, David!! :banghead: :fiery:
you allowed this ass way too easy a victory :(

what about guillermo then!

hitchhiker
04-21-2006, 02:46 PM
who's been steady for their last 3 matchs is fed and not rafa! Watch the stats, Fed's just been playing great so far while rafa was clearly beyond his standard!

maybe rafa is saving his best stuff for the final? also isn't nadals closest set so far is 6-4? thats impressive for below standard

FSRteam
04-21-2006, 02:49 PM
maybe rafa is saving his best stuff for the final? also isn't nadals closest set so far is 6-4? thats impressive for below standard

Maybe... or maybe his level is no longer what it used to be! :)

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Maybe... or maybe his level is no longer what it used to be! :)
He's running out of gas, that's for sure. He'll never repeat his miraculous year of 2005 not even in his wildest dreams. A solid Top 20 player but nothing more than that.

nobama
04-21-2006, 03:00 PM
maybe rafa is saving his best stuff for the final? also isn't nadals closest set so far is 6-4? thats impressive for below standardIt's hard to say who played better because their first three matches were against not very good players. And Coria today was just spent physically and mentally. So he was no challenge for Rafa at all. I still think Roger's played better so far, but IF they meet each other in the final I don't think that will matter much.

Rogiman
04-21-2006, 03:01 PM
He's running out of gas, that's for sure. He'll never repeat his miraculous year of 2005 not even in his wildest dreams. A solid Top 20 player but nothing more than that.
I don't think even you believe yourself.
I don't like his game, but he wins, alot, and that's not a matter of opinion.

JCF
04-21-2006, 03:04 PM

:retard:
Scared of Rafa are we? Watch out in the final mate thats all I can say :)

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 03:04 PM
I don't think even you believe yourself.
I don't like his game, but he wins, alot, and that's not a matter of opinion.
As a matter of fact, I do. Just wait and you'll see it yourself.

deliveryman
04-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Oh come on, I hate Rafa, but even I won't go as far to say that he's "just another top 20 player and nothing more." Maybe on other surfaces, though I do believe he's top 10 on HC. But there's absolutely no disputting he's the man to be beat on clay.

Finally the tables have turned if they meet in the Final. All the pressure is on Rafa, because he'll be expected to win.

ReturnWinner
04-21-2006, 03:06 PM
no a big suprise for me i expected a trash like this ferrers big weapons are

his consistency,speed and figthing and if federer is in a good day no much u

can do against him just with those weapons (at least his rival is nadal who has a difficult game for federer)

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 03:06 PM
:retard:
Scared of Rafa are we? Watch out in the final mate thats all I can say :)
Scared, kidding me? I'm dreaming about Rog-Rafa final that will decide the future of clay court tennis.

deliveryman
04-21-2006, 03:08 PM
By the way it's funny how hitchhiker all of a sudden likes Roger all of a sudden. Did you finally realize that Andy Roddick is drastically overrated, and has been all along?

"OMFG FEDERER HAS NOTHING ON RODDICK" sigh... i miss those days.

JCF
04-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Scared, kidding me? I'm dreaming about Rog-Rafa final that will decide the future of clay court tennis.
The result of this match is not gonna decide the "future of clay court tennis". Not sure what you mean, especially if the match is close.

But I think you should Rafa a bit more than you are doing right now.

jenanun
04-21-2006, 03:11 PM

so in your mind, who is a solid top 5 then??????

if nadal is nothing more than a solid top 20.. i guess the answer of my question will be no one....

anyway, congrats to roger! can't wait to see roger vs rafa in the final!!!!!!

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 03:11 PM
I agree that his 2005 run is going to be hard to equal, but "nothing more than" Top 20? The boy has nearly 1500 points separating him from the world #3; some people in the Top 20 don't even have 1500 total. :tape:
For now, yes. Let's just wait till the indoor season kicks in and see whether Rafa is for real and that his Madrid title wasn't a fluke. Even on clay I think he's not nearly as good as he used to be last year. I guess we just have to wait and come back to this discussion after RG.

hitchhiker
04-21-2006, 03:13 PM
By the way it's funny how hitchhiker all of a sudden likes Roger all of a sudden.

what makes you think that?

"OMFG FEDERER HAS NOTHING ON RODDICK" sigh... i miss those days.

its the "OMG NADAL HAS NOTHING ON FEDERER" era these days

yanchr
04-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Finally the tables have turned if they meet in the Final. All the pressure is on Rafa, because he'll be expected to win.
I'm not sure about that. Roger's win is not unexpected either.

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 03:14 PM
The result of this match is not gonna decide the "future of clay court tennis". Not sure what you mean, especially if the match is close.

But I think you should Rafa a bit more than you are doing right now.
I meant the future elite on clay and yes, Rafa is still the guy to beat on clay for now, but the real question is for how long?

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 03:17 PM
so in your mind, who is a solid top 5 then??????

if nadal is nothing more than a solid top 20.. i guess the answer of my question will be no one....

anyway, congrats to roger! can't wait to see roger vs rafa in the final!!!!!!
He's a Top 5 player for now, but I don't see him maintaining his Top 5 status for more than next two seasons. As a matter of fact, he'll start slipping in rankings at the end of the US Open.

NYCtennisfan
04-21-2006, 03:21 PM
He's a Top 5 player for now, but I don't see him maintaining his Top 5 status for more than next two seasons. As a matter of fact, he'll start slipping in rankings at the end of the US Open.

Nope. Rafa is here to stay for a very long time.

JCF
04-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Can you explain to us why you think this?

stebs
04-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Federer had a real test with Ferrer and he passed with flying colours. He will certainly have a chance against Nadal if they make it to the final but making an improvement on last years performance is great anyway.

I think a final against Rafa would be great even if it ended in defeat for Roger. He would have a chance to really try and figure out how to play against him on clay. Even if he doesn't play well enough to win he should work out what tactic to use if there is a somewhat more important meeting with Nadal in Paris.

Corey Feldman
04-21-2006, 03:28 PM
In the end......beautiful display from Roger......clean shot making & I love to watch him sliding on clay....like a swan on water....so graceful!!!! :worship:like a swan on water :yeah:
sounds better than a duck on clay
:tape:

tangerine_dream
04-21-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm dreaming about Rog-Rafa final that will decide the future of clay court tennis.
How exactly does one match "decide the future of clay court tennis"? What exactly does that even mean? :confused:

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Can you explain to us why you think this?
Because I don't think his performance on clay this season will be as spectacular as it was last season. And we don't really need to talk about the grass season, because, let's face it, Rafa is not a big factor on that surface and he doesn't have any points to defend on that surface either so it wouldn't matter at all. Now onto the hardcourts of North America. Do you seriously believe Nadal can defend his title in Canada? I don't. Cincinnati is the only place where he can rack up some points simply because of his early exit last year. Now the indoor season, Madrid is a possibility for a repeat(it's in his homecountry after all). Well, maybe the end of this year's US Open is a bit of a stretch, but next season is quite a possibility. Now, could you please give me your reasons why Nadal is a legit No. 2 for years to come.
I don't have anything against Nadal(even though he's beaten my fav. guy quite a lot). I just don't see him being a solid and dominant No. 2 like for example Fed is a VERY solid No. 1.
I guess it's a bit premature to start making any sorts of predictions, but some kinds of speculations will never hurt. Time will tell.

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 03:39 PM
How exactly does one match "decide the future of clay court tennis"? What exactly does that even mean? :confused:
I meant the near future - the RG 06 crown for example.

deliveryman
04-21-2006, 03:40 PM

lol ditto.

Good point.

rofe
04-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Question for those who watched the match - was Federer further behind the baseline than he normally is on HC? I noticed when I watched the highlights that he was standing a little further. Also, Fed actually is using the backhand DTL a lot more. That is a very good sign

JCF
04-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Because I don't think his performance on clay this season will be as spectacular as it was last season. And we don't really need to talk about the grass season, because, let's face it, Rafa is not a big factor on that surface and he doesn't have any points to defend on that surface either so it wouldn't matter at all. Now onto the hardcourts of North America. Do you seriously believe Nadal can defend his title in Canada? I don't. Cincinnati is the only place where he can rack up some points simply because of his early exit last year. Now the indoor season, Madrid is a possibility for a repeat(it's in his homecountry after all). Well, maybe the end of this year's US Open is a bit of a stretch, but next season is quite a possibility. Now, could you please give me your reasons why Nadal is a legit No. 2 for years to come.
I don't have anything against Nadal(even though he's beaten my fav. guy quite a lot). I just don't see him being a solid and dominant No. 2 like for example Fed is a VERY solid No. 1.
I guess it's a bit premature to start making any sorts of predictions, but some kinds of speculations will never hurt. Time will tell.

Why don't you think he can defend his title in Canada? It was hardly some kind of fluke win. There is Cincinatti and you forgot the US Open where I'm sure he will improve from last year. Rafa can compete on grass in the future, I'm sure. He may not win Wimby but he's still got quite a bit of room for improvement there don't you think.

What you don't see is that Rafa is not even 20 (don't think) and he has still not the finished article.

Nadal's mentality is so strong and currently his desire is so great that I don't see him being pushed outside the top 2 anytime soon. No-one can really say what will happen in the future, but I am confident that Nadal will be in the top 5 for at least the next 5 years (saving injuries, of course).

stebs
04-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Question for those who watched the match - was Federer further behind the baseline than he normally is on HC? I noticed when I watched the highlights that he was standing a little further. Also, Fed actually is using the backhand DTL a lot more. That is a very good sign
I saw only highlights but yes I think he is adapting his game more than he has done previously. His backhand has been as good at it's been for a long time. He is hitting the ball with confidence and looking like he has the game to do anything on clay right now.

NATAS81
04-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Big Rodge.

tenniswiz
04-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Why don't you think he can defend his title in Canada? It was hardly some kind of fluke win. There is Cincinatti and you forgot the US Open where I'm sure he will improve from last year. Rafa can compete on grass in the future, I'm sure. He may not win Wimby but he's still got quite a bit of room for improvement there don't you think.

What you don't see is that Rafa is not even 20 (don't think) and he has still not the finished article.

Nadal's mentality is so strong and currently his desire is so great that I don't see him being pushed outside the top 2 anytime soon. No-one can really say what will happen in the future, but I am confident that Nadal will be in the top 5 for at least the next 5 years (saving injuries, of course).
Point accepted. Let's just wait and see how everything pans out. This should be a very exciting tennis season with a lot of new stars on the horizon like Blake, Ljubo, Haas, Baghdatis! :yeah:

Scotso
04-21-2006, 03:57 PM
David :sad:

rofe
04-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Someone actually wants to discuss the topic of this thread? I'm shocked! :angel:

Yes, imagine that! ;)

R.Federer
04-21-2006, 04:07 PM
What's funny is that people thought Ferrer could hurt Federer just because it was on clay. If you saw thier match in Miami, you know that Ferrer has nothing that can hurt Federer and would have to rely on Federer completely breaking down to have a chance.
Well, Roger himself said that after his hc victoire in Miami, that "...on clay it would be a different story", surely he knew how good Fereer was on clay

Hagar
04-21-2006, 04:13 PM
it's surreal, isn't it!? he sure has immense talent and it's kind of scary for his opposition to even think that he's constantly improving his game. :devil:
Go Roger conquer the tennis world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship:

I've said it before and I say it again: we are truly blessed to be tennis fans in the Roger Federer era. As Amélie Mauresmo said: "I would pay to see Federer hit against a wall".

Dirk
04-21-2006, 04:44 PM

Don't worry about it honey because Andy sure the hell isn't part of the equation. :lol:

Fergie
04-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Rogi! :yeah:

Allez
04-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Roger impresses once again :yeah::yeah::yeah: BUT next he faces the big hitting Gonzalez :eek: :eek: :eek: It's going to be quite a test for him. As for the possible final against Nadal. Well Rafa is a clear favourite for THAT match. He is the Anti-Rogi. It would do Roger a tremendous world of good if he were to win though. The people expecting Nadal to fail are just :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . He has lost nothing of his clay court craft nor the desire and guile that catapulted him to to his current status as the King of Clay.

Best of red dirt luck Rogi :bounce::bounce::bounce:

nobama
04-21-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure about that. Roger's win is not unexpected either.Roger's not the king of clay. If they meet in the finals he will go in as the underdog.

propi
04-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Ferrer :sad:
I guess too tired after Juanqui :sad:
Get ready for Paris, that's what matters :yeah:

LLeytonRules
04-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Roger will be a huge underdog.I am sure he wants to snap that streak, since Nadal ended his hardcourt streak.

P.S-Not a doned deal, both guys have matches to play.

musefanatic
04-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Well done Roger, great win! :) Good luck next round :)

KoOlMaNsEaN
04-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Two more roger!

Whistleway
04-21-2006, 10:40 PM
I am saddened to see these straight-forward matches that roger gets to play. Unless he learns to grind it out rather than winners after winners, he is gonna have a real hard time against nadal. If nadal plays to his form and gets to play roger, he gonna crush him, whether I like it or not. Roger gotta learn to play classic clay court. That's my opinion.

rofe
04-21-2006, 10:45 PM
I am saddened to see these straight-forward matches that roger gets to play. Unless he learns to grind it out rather than winners after winners, he is gonna have a real hard time against nadal. If nadal plays to his form and gets to play roger, he gonna crush him, whether I like it or not. Roger gotta learn to play classic clay court. That's my opinion.

He knows how to grind matches now - AO 06 is a prime example of that. I don't think he can win by grinding against Nadal however. Nadal is better than him in that department. He does need more patience to set up his shots on clay and I hope he does that. He still has to get through Gonzo so I am not even looking into the final now.

Whistleway
04-21-2006, 11:05 PM
He knows how to grind matches now - AO 06 is a prime example of that. I don't think he can win by grinding against Nadal however. Nadal is better than him in that department. He does need more patience to set up his shots on clay and I hope he does that. He still has to get through Gonzo so I am not even looking into the final now.

Really? AO 06 has nothing to with grinding. I watched that match. He just hung in there.

IMHO, there is no way Roger can go winners after winners against Nadal and keep it up in a 5-setter. He did that at Dubai and paid the price. And besides on clay, Nadal is 5x more effective. He gotta learn not to get flustered by that fact. He's smart and most likely knows how to counter Nadal. But, he gotta get more experience on it.

I am not just looking at this tourney particularly. He sooner or latter gonna meet nadal. And he has played nadal just once on clay. Hopefully, he get more experiences through these master series. He better learn fast, since he probably got maybe 2 or 3 shots at winning the FO.

The Daviator
04-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Rogi-Rafa final please! :bounce:

zethand
04-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Rogi-Rafa final please! :bounce:

No.. it would be so predictable.

NYCtennisfan
04-22-2006, 12:01 AM

Federer knows how to "grind". He knows how to play tough matches. Playing for 3 hours against Ferrer wouldn't have helped him any against Nadal. Beating up Ferrer like he did probably won't mean anything either when he goes up against Nadal except he is a little less tired.

rofe
04-22-2006, 12:53 AM
My definition of grinding means that you play high percentage tennis and wait for the opponent to make mistakes. Maybe you mean the same thing when you say, "he hung in there".

If Federer grinds against Nadal he has absolutely no chance to win because Nadal is a much better grinder than Federer. Nadal is extremely consistent off both wings and that is the key to his game. In fact, I would call Nadal's serve consistent as well if you compare the stats.

Federer definitely has to use his explosiveness if he has to have any chance of winning against Nadal. The only difference is that he has to a) be more patient in setting up his shots, b) more patient when what he thinks is a winner comes back into play and c) employ the backhand DTL more often because the CC backhand is completely useless against Nadal. Nadal can scoop it out and return it with interest as a CC heavily topspinned forehand into Federer's backhand (and we all know what happens next).

If you watched the FO semi-final last year, he was getting increasingly frustrated that Nadal was getting a lot of balls back. He was hoping to win the rally in a few points but that was not happening. So, the key thing for Federer is patience.

I think he already knows this and I hope he can execute when the time comes.

Really? AO 06 has nothing to with grinding. I watched that match. He just hung in there.

IMHO, there is no way Roger can go winners after winners against Nadal and keep it up in a 5-setter. He did that at Dubai and paid the price. And besides on clay, Nadal is 5x more effective. He gotta learn not to get flustered by that fact. He's smart and most likely knows how to counter Nadal. But, he gotta get more experience on it.

I am not just looking at this tourney particularly. He sooner or latter gonna meet nadal. And he has played nadal just once on clay. Hopefully, he get more experiences through these master series. He better learn fast, since he probably got maybe 2 or 3 shots at winning the FO.

nobama
04-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Shit, I guess Roger, Gonzo and Gaston should just pack it up and go home. In fact the rest of the field might as well not show up until afer RG. :o

Whistleway
04-22-2006, 01:21 AM
Shit, I guess Roger, Gonzo and Gaston should just pack it up and go home. In fact the rest of the field might as well not show up until afer RG. :o

Way to interpret it, Genius !

anserq
04-22-2006, 01:22 AM
GOGOGO FEDERER!

hitchhiker
04-22-2006, 01:27 AM

pretty much

PaulieM
04-22-2006, 01:29 AM
Rogi grinding against Rafa? :eek: Well, I suppose it's alright now that Rafa is over 18. :awww: :angel:
:lol: best post in this thread. :worship:

jacobhiggins
04-22-2006, 01:47 AM
Federer has a chance to win the grand slam this year and it will be intersting to see what happends when he faces Nadal. I think there could be some very interesting and surprising things that happend during and after the match.

What if Federer ended up blowing away Nadal in straights? I don't think it's impossible either. Federer is catching up to Nadal on clay, he's much closer to winning the French Open then Nadal is to winning Wimbedlon or the US Open!

World Beater
04-22-2006, 03:08 AM
pretty much

this is roger the machine we are talking about...he just got an upgrade and a new change of oil before the clay season started. Lets see if the software upgrade is free of clay bugs

World Beater
04-22-2006, 03:17 AM
Federer knows how to "grind". He knows how to play tough matches. Playing for 3 hours against Ferrer wouldn't have helped him any against Nadal. Beating up Ferrer like he did probably won't mean anything either when he goes up against Nadal except he is a little less tired.

not really i disagree. i still feel like roger bails his opponents out on clay by hitting winners rather than making him run from side - side like nalbandian, agassi or vintage kafelinkov.

roger i feel may not be able to whack winner after winner for an extended period of time against nadal. He needs to stay patient and grind nadal's backhand to dust with repeated forehand drives and topspin. the way nadal does to his backhand.

roger CAN grind, but i dont think he wants to. with that said, i think he can beat nadal this week with his current standard.

NYCtennisfan
04-22-2006, 05:15 AM
not really i disagree. i still feel like roger bails his opponents out on clay by hitting winners rather than making him run from side - side like nalbandian, agassi or vintage kafelinkov.

roger i feel may not be able to whack winner after winner for an extended period of time against nadal. He needs to stay patient and grind nadal's backhand to dust with repeated forehand drives and topspin. the way nadal does to his backhand.

roger CAN grind, but i dont think he wants to. with that said, i think he can beat nadal this week with his current standard.

Federer's BH is not made for running his opponents from side to side. It is not stable enough to hit the short angles and then the deep shot over and over again like Agassi or Nalbandian. He can hit the deep CC topspin BH really well now and then hit explosive BH DTL's either close to the line which result in winners or hit them about 2-3 feet from the sideline but right on the baseline and then come to net. He can hit those shots, but if he is trying to hit 15 in a row over a long rally by "grinding", it will eventually break down.

If he beats Nadal, then it will be because he was hitting good aggressive shots early.

nkhera1
04-22-2006, 05:17 AM

Nadal can run for a long time and his backhand isn't that big a liability.

nkhera1
04-22-2006, 05:18 AM
I didn't see the match but if Fed is able to beat a clay court player this badly then the rest of the ATP must be really scared now because the only safe place to play him seems to be in the first round.

World Beater
04-22-2006, 05:37 AM
Nadal can run for a long time and his backhand isn't that big a liability.

nadal cant attack as much as he can off this shot.

nadal will get tired like he did at miami a year ago against fed. contrary to popular belief, i dont believe he is the fittest player out there. he may be the strongest and most athletic but there are a few guys that could outlast him in this department.

coria had him on the ropes until he semi-choked in the fifth against nadal in rome when nadal was tiring. nadal has a lot of heart and this is why he won.

nadal has had a lot of easy matches because he is so much better. if he had to pull through a few 5 set matches at the french, i wouldnt be so sure he would be able to win the whole thing.

World Beater
04-22-2006, 05:40 AM
I didn't see the match but if Fed is able to beat a clay court player this badly then the rest of the ATP must be really scared now because the only safe place to play him seems to be in the first round.

the only man stopping fed's domination of clay imo is nadal. People try to point out all these clay specialists that can trouble federer, but i still dont see them at the end of these tournaments. Fed is the best after nadal.

gonzo can play on all surfaces but has never beaten fed and gaudio is fed's bi%ch as well.

World Beater
04-22-2006, 05:54 AM
Federer's BH is not made for running his opponents from side to side. It is not stable enough to hit the short angles and then the deep shot over and over again like Agassi or Nalbandian. He can hit the deep CC topspin BH really well now and then hit explosive BH DTL's either close to the line which result in winners or hit them about 2-3 feet from the sideline but right on the baseline and then come to net. He can hit those shots, but if he is trying to hit 15 in a row over a long rally by "grinding", it will eventually break down.

If he beats Nadal, then it will be because he was hitting good aggressive shots early.

i agree with your bh analysis, but i say if nadal can move roger around with his fh. Then roger can do the same with his fh, which is why i dont buy this lefty stuff.

I think that at times roger's more steady shot is the backhand because he goes for so much on the fh against a guy like nadal when its not necessary.

tenniswiz
04-22-2006, 07:12 AM
this is roger the machine we are talking about...he just got an upgrade and a new change of oil before the clay season started. Lets see if the software upgrade is free of clay bugs
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Clara Bow
04-22-2006, 07:16 AM
the only man stopping fed's domination of clay imo is nadal.

But I thought, at least according to some individuals on this board- that Nadal was not really talented, non deserving of a top five spot, and only a top 20 player in terms of talent along the ranks of Robredo. Why whould such an undeserved and obviously wretched number two ever stop Federer on anything? ;)

Sorry tenniswiz, I just don't agree with your earlier complete dismissal of any of Rafa's talents. :p

Seriously- I agree with the initial quote. I think that Roger has shown actually how good he is on clay...he and Rafa are at the top at this juncture imo. (Although Gaudio has been playing very well so he could sneak into that group.)

lsy
04-22-2006, 07:23 AM
But I thought, at least according to some individuals on this board- that Nadal was not really talented, non deserving of a top five spot, and only a top 20 player in terms of talent along the ranks of Robredo. Why whould such an undeserved number two ever stop Federer on anything? ;)

I guess you missed reading some posts about Nadal with his "C" games can beat anybody on clay...so ;)

World Beater
04-22-2006, 07:27 AM
But I thought, at least according to some individuals on this board- that Nadal was not really talented, non deserving of a top five spot, and only a top 20 player in terms of talent along the ranks of Robredo. Why whould such an undeserved and obviously wretched number two ever stop Federer on anything? ;)

Sorry tenniswiz, I just don't agree with your earlier complete dismissal of any of Rafa's talents. :p

Seriously- I agree with the initial quote. I think that Roger has shown actually how good he is on clay...he and Rafa are at the top at this juncture imo. (Although Gaudio has been playing very well so he could sneak into that group.)

Forget clay, that is obvious. What is more intruiging is that nadal has shown he can take his game to a great level on HC. I might be tempted to put him in top 5 in hc play.

As far as the talent issue is concerned, i honestly dont think that nadal has anymore talent from a tennis standpoint than robredo. I think that he is a way better athlete than guys like ferrero and robredo. So he is able to express his talent in many more ways and can appear much more impressive.

when fed was really young (17-18), i honestly didnt think too much of him. But as soon as he got his physique into gear, you could see his body able to fully express his talent. (he had all the shots back then too!)

World Beater
04-22-2006, 07:28 AM
I guess you missed reading some posts about Nadal with his "C" games can beat anybody on clay...so ;)

that was very good...bravo ;)

Clara Bow
04-22-2006, 07:33 AM
I guess you missed reading some posts about Nadal with his "C" games can beat anybody on clay...so

Touche and I agree... such assertions are ridiculous. (And I have been to an after-rehersal dinner party where we had to drinky so I am not as sharp.)

I tend to hate any hyperbole in sport- be it positive or negative. If anyone said that Rafa could beat anyone on clay on his C level game- I would have to ask if they have seen Feds (his form has been great!) or Gaudio (ditto!)

At the same time, in terms of negative hyperbole, I was just a little yanked by the (somewhat commen in some parts) perception that Rafa has no talent and is essentially not deserving of his ranking.

All of that stated, I realize I may be cracking a glass house with a stone and may use hyperbole myself sometime...but I will still try to call some that ticks me.

ETA- Worldbeater- you bring in a very good point- where does athleticism mode with talent. As a fan of college basketball, soccer (unpreferred naming in this forum) and other sports that require athleticism, I tend to think of being athletic as part of- or rather - a compliment - to talent. I think sometimes it is underated.

lsy
04-22-2006, 07:43 AM
I tend to hate any hyperbole in sport- be it positive or negative. If anyone said that Rafa could beat anyone on clay on his C level game- I would have to ask if they have seen Feds (his form has been great!) or Gaudio (ditto!)

At the same time, in terms of negative hyperbole, I was just a little yanked by the (somewhat commen in some parts) perception that Rafa has no talent and is essentially not deserving of his ranking.

Agreed to all.

All of that stated, I realize I may be cracking a glass house with a stone and may use hyperbole myself sometime...but I will still try to call some that ticks me.

:lol: you do that :yeah:

World Beater
04-22-2006, 07:54 AM
Touche and I agree... such assertions are ridiculous. (And I have been to an after-rehersal dinner party where we had to drinky so I am not as sharp.)

ETA- Worldbeater- you bring in a very good point- where does athleticism mode with talent. As a fan of college basketball, soccer (unpreferred naming in this forum) and other sports that require athleticism, I tend to think of being athletic as part of- or rather - a compliment - to talent. I think sometimes it is underated.

maybe athleticism is part of talent just like mental toughness is.

Many people like to rag on people like roddick or hewitt because they dont see spectacular shotmaking, but imo they are extremely talented. Maybe not conventionally but roddick has the power that nobody else has. Hewitt has the guts and grit.

i am truly amazed at how some people cant understand that these guys are top players who deserve to be in the top5. "no shot" hewitt or "all power" roddick :rolleyes: santoro has great talent but he doesnt have the other attributes. Federer seems to have the best of both worlds, which is why he is so darn good.

also, another interesting point is that athleticism and physicality is a relatively new phenomenon in tennis. People arent used to it, esp old timers. In other sports, athleticism plays a far bigger role. In fact basketball and am football, it is more important than "pure skills".

Being able to jump high and dunk, or being 7 foot tall may be enough these days to get into the nba, but in tennis you still have to be able to hit a fh and a bh well no matter how fast or strong you are. Timing needs to be there.

tenniswiz
04-22-2006, 07:55 AM
I don't underestimate Nadal's talent. I'm just not sold on the idea that he has more talent than the players in the Top 20. It's his athletism and unwavering desire to win that make him a current No. 2 player but NOT his talent. Durability and consistency are huge question marks in his tennis career. I guess we'll have to come back to this topic after Rolland Garros and see whether he's still that killing machine on clay he used to be a year ago.
Do you honestly see him as a solid No. 2 for say next 2-3 seasons? I don't and his injury last year and early exit in Miami this year are early harbingers of Nadal's possible slippage in the rankings(maybe not this season, but definitely in 2007 or 2008).

World Beater
04-22-2006, 08:02 AM
I don't underestimate Nadal's talent. I'm just not sold on the idea that he has more talent than the players in the Top 20. It's his athletism and unwavering desire to win that make him a current No. 2 player but NOT his talent. Durability and consistency are huge question marks in his tennis career. I guess we'll have to come back to this topic after Rolland Garros and see whether he's still that killing machine on clay he used to be a year ago.
Do you honestly see him as a solid No. 2 for say next 2-3 seasons? I don't and his injury last year and early exit in Miami this year are early harbingers of Nadal's possible slippage in the rankings(maybe not this season, but definitely in 2007 or 2008).

The same goes with almost any other player. If federer didnt have his physique, he wouldnt be in the top 5 either. Federer has top 10 talent and top 5 body. I will bring up an interview if i can find one. He had said that talent alone was good enough for a top 10 place, but to get into the upper echelon, he needed other things.

Clara Bow
04-22-2006, 08:13 AM

Actually- I do think he will hang around. Granted- part of it may be the fact that I am a fan of his and I will admit it. But one reason why I do think he could hang around is the fact that- if you read his interviews in Spanish and not English- he actually has a pretty high tennis IQ and the real desire to be more than a claycourter. That plus his determination will bode him well. I do think he has talent that he has not really utilized- for example, surprisingly - he has good touch at net. I just frankly think that he is more gifted than the often mantra of speed, topsin and power forehand that we often hear. I think he will improve. At this jucture he does not utilize a lot of his talent that I have seen (or maybe as a fan I think I have seen) in different and unique differentails to his current game. He just needs more confidence.

Do I think he will win Wimbledon- frankly no. Do I think he may get to the semis in the next four years- yes.

I think he was scared by the end of this year... and his slip with injuries. And Feds does have about the complete apprectiation of the history of the game that I have seen (one reason why I love him). But Nadal- again, if you ever read his Spanish interviews, actually also has a great apprecitaion of the game, and more than that- wants to make Spanish players more than just claycourters. So I think he will do what bodes best for him to do that.

tenniswiz
04-22-2006, 08:20 AM
The same goes with almost any other player. If federer didnt have his physique, he wouldnt be in the top 5 either. Federer has top 10 talent and top 5 body. I will bring up an interview if i can find one. He had said that talent alone was good enough for a top 10 place, but to get into the upper echelon, he needed other things.
I'm totally with ya on this one, but the difference between Federer and Nadal is that Federer posseses every single shot in the book and his surreal talent will be talked about for generations to come. Whereas, Nadal's unorthodox lefty game puts him in Top 10 among current players and Federer's game is Top 10 among the all-time greats like Bjorg, Lendl, McEroe, Sampras, etc.
Let's just wait and see whether Rafa can back his miraculous run in 2005 up with some solid results in 2006. I really hope he does but I just don't see Rafa being in the Top 2 for more than 1.5-2 years

World Beater
04-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Actually- I do think he will hang around. Granted- part of it may be the fact that I am a fan of his and I will admit it. But one reason why I do think he could hang around is the fact that- if you read his interviews in Spanish and not English- he actually has a pretty high tennis IQ and the real desire to be more than a claycourter. That plus his determination will bode him well. I do think he has talent that he has not really utilized- for example, surprisingly - he has good touch at net. I just frankly think that he is more gifted than the often mantra of speed, topsin and power forehand that we often hear. I think he will improve. At this jucture he does not utilize a lot of his talent that I have seen (or maybe as a fan I think I have seen) in different and unique differentails to his current game. He just needs more confidence.

Do I think he will win Wimbledon- frankly no. Do I think he may get to the semis in the next four years- yes.

I think he was scared by the end of this year... and his slip with injuries. And Feds does have about the complete apprectiation of the history of the game that I have seen (one reason why I love him). But Nadal- again, if you ever read his Spanish interviews, actually also has a great apprecitaion of the game, and more than that- wants to make Spanish players more than just claycourters. So I think he will do what bodes best for him to do that.

While you are highlighting things far more subtle, i think there are more obvious things nadal can do to ensure his success in the years to come.

His body obviously allows him to play tremendous defense and he can get away with being passive sometimes. When he gets older and loses some of the physicality, he can start to play more aggresive and he has shown that he can do that. With the amount of topspin he has, playing aggresively will be a very high percentage play for nadal.

I expect nadal's serve to be a career long project, and while he may lose some speed, he may be able to set points up earlier with his serve and not have to play so taxing a game.

We saw with sampras that he was a baseliner early but then shortened the points with serve-volley style later on. - not to say nadal will serve volley...but maybe develop a one-two punch with his very capable forehand

World Beater
04-22-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm totally with ya on this one, but the difference between Federer and Nadal is that Federer posseses every single shot in the book and his surreal talent will be talked about for generations to come. Whereas, Nadal's unorthodox lefty game puts him in Top 10 among current players and Federer's game is Top 10 among the all-time greats like Bjorg, Lendl, McEroe, Sampras, etc.
Let's just wait and see whether Rafa can back his miraculous run in 2005 up with some solid results in 2006. I really hope he does but I just don't see Rafa being in the Top 2 for more than 1.5-2 years

ok so what you are saying isnt truly radical. But to say he will drop out of the top 20 is a bit far fetched.

i think at minimum he should be a top 15 player for years to come if what you say is true

A_Skywalker
04-22-2006, 08:25 AM

I would say Nadal dont have a talent like Federer , but he kills him with his desire , that's why I like him , he never give up , he don't have the abilities of Federer , but somehow he is able to neutralize them . He works hard for every win he gets and thats why people like him deserve to be there , he probably prefer die on court than loosing . So I'll support Rafa even he exit top 10 which I dont see happens unless he gets injured , I think he will be number 1 someday .

tenniswiz
04-22-2006, 08:27 AM
ok so what you are saying isnt truly radical. But to say he will drop out of the top 20 is a bit far fetched.

i think at minimum he should be a top 15 player for years to come if what you say is true
Yup, that's what I meant anywhere between 10-20 but not 1-5 for God's sake, let's be real here. :wavey:

Clara Bow
04-22-2006, 08:29 AM
First of all, may I say that I have enjoyed your posts WB-

Second
I expect nadal's serve to be a career long project, and while he may lose some speed, he may be able to set points up earlier with his serve and not have to play so taxing a game.

I agree. As a lefty...he could make it more of a weapon with angles even if he loses speed. As the announcers say, he really needs to make this more of a weapon. He has- and I have seen results of that- but they are not consitant enought and frankly, they should get better.

World Beater
04-22-2006, 08:33 AM
First of all, may I say that I have enjoyed your posts WB-

Second

I agree. As a lefty...he could make it more of a weapon with angles even if he loses speed. As the announcers say, he really needs to make this more of a weapon. He has- and I have seen results of that- but they are not consitant enought and frankly, they should get better.

it takes two to have a good conversation. ;)

tenniswiz
04-22-2006, 08:37 AM
I would say Nadal dont have a talent like Federer , but he kills him with his desire , that's why I like him , he never give up , he don't have the abilities of Federer , but somehow he is able to neutralize them .
Well, let's just say that Federer needs some more time to find an antidote to Nadal's troublesome lefty topspin. Let Nadal have all the fun while he can as I'm pretty sure soon enough he'll be just another victim of Federer's immense talent and desire to win.

I think he will be number 1 someday
More like a wishful thinking if you ask me.

Bubba08
04-22-2006, 08:42 AM
Fed express :drive:

Allez
04-22-2006, 08:47 AM
What good are rogi's exceptional abilities if they all amount to naught when he faces Nadal ? Tennis isn't just about raw natural talent, which Roger has by truck loads btw. I can see Rafa doing this for years to come. I just hope that he's off form at RG sometime so that Rogi can hopefully complete a career grand slam. For the next five years at the very least, Nadal will be the top dog of clay court tennis. The scary thing is that he even beating Roger on Hard Courts as well and winning big titles on that surface. He's going to be a major threat on rebound ace that's for sure :eek: :eek: :eek:

A_Skywalker
04-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Well, let's just say that Federer needs some more time to find an antidote to Nadal's troublesome lefty topspin. Let Nadal have all the fun while he can as I'm pretty sure soon enough he'll be just another victim of Federer's immense talent and desire to win.

More like a wishful thinking if you ask me.

Only time will tell as Enya sings ;)

tenniswiz
04-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Only time will tell as Enya sings ;)
Yup. ;)