Coria d. Kiefer 6-7 6-4 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Coria d. Kiefer 6-7 6-4 6-3

Andre♥
04-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Even with 23 double faults! :eek:

daze11
04-20-2006, 06:41 PM
instead of focusing on his record breaking 22 double faults, lets notice he won every point played. :yeah:

onto gaudio! (finally!) lets shake the disease, guille! :banana:

ooops, did i forget he has to go thru nadal first. :tape: :lol: sorry! but thats ok, moya beat him pretty easily this year...no big thing. :o

NATAS81
04-20-2006, 06:42 PM
23 DF of quality tennis. If Kiefer didn't serve less than 50% he could've won. But coulda, shoulda, woulda doesn't mean a thing if you can't play from the baseline against one of the best clay courters in the world.

PamposCypriot
04-20-2006, 06:43 PM
You mean 2-3 double faults or 23? :worship: Coria magic :worship:

Washa Koroleva
04-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Yay :D :bounce: What a lucky boy

Raquel
04-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Another great fightback from Coria :worship:
A set and 0-3 down, and another 2 and a half hours on court.

JMG
Maybe Kiefer still had his stomach muscle injury. His serving stats (1st serves won) don't look good.

Fisico
vamos el mago!!

Neely
Well played, Coria too crafty at the end :worship: And Kiefer had enough chances in the third set and didn't take them. A bit pathetic from Kiefer that he didn't do better in this third set, but he played a few great points, partially agressive and was going to the net, overall still too tempative. He was winning his must-win matches on clay this week and this gives hope :D

Neely
04-20-2006, 06:45 PM
first he would need to shake Nadal :p

A_Skywalker
You mean 2-3 double faults or 23? :worship: Coria magic :worship:

23 :P

Julio1974
The self-love of Coria is amazing. He blew a 5-1 lead in the first set, he was 0-3 down in the second with two breaks and he was o-2 down in the third. Despite that and his 23 DF, he won. It's impossible not to be amazed by his spirit.

rofe
instead of focusing on his record breaking 22 double faults, lets notice he won every point played. :yeah:

Um, he plays Nadal. He almost needed a miracle to pull out of this one so I don't think even a miracle will save him from a Nadal beatdown if he serves up so many double faults.

daze11
04-20-2006, 06:46 PM
i dont know if he is more 'el mago' or 'iron man'! he has so much pressure to win every point once the ball is on play, and basically, he does it! despite all the distractions of his service issues. go to love him! :worship:

Generator
Ha! That German turd was fuming with anger as he was walking off the court, insulting Coria and the crowd. What a numbhead. :D

Good for Guille, for at least showing once again his fighting spirit, and also for sending the Teutonic geek back home.

shotgun
lol

Yappa
Kiefer unable to convert those Coria dfs to win the match. Coria just too good from the baseline and Kiefers serve was lacking.

DrJules
04-20-2006, 06:47 PM
If you cannot beat a player serving 23 double faults in 3 sets there is something wrong. How Kiefer manages to give Roger so much difficulty I do not know.

Rogiman
04-20-2006, 06:48 PM
instead of focusing on his 22 double faults, lets notice he won every point played. :yeah:
But these double faults are torturing him, he'll end up paying for them big time, and that's plain ridiculous.

Tomorrow, instead of posing a stiff opposition to Nadal, he'll be turned into mincemeat, solely on these df's.

Nice effort, but there's so much drama, so much effort one can afford before it gets to him.

All the best to Guille, but an extended break, in which he would be able to sort things out by all means required, could really do wonders to him, and even if that means skipping tournaments - so be it.

Neely
04-20-2006, 06:49 PM
23 DF of quality tennis. If Kiefer didn't serve less than 50% he could've won. But coulda, shoulda, woulda doesn't mean a thing if you can't play from the baseline against one of the best clay courters in the world.
Actually he didn't play that badly from the baseline, I've seen worse. Kiefer also has some of the best speed and footwork and he can go the rallies with Coria, but not all the time only defending, it must be good mixture and lots of more shots that put pressure on Coria, not just shoveling the balls back into play how he often does, this doesn't work against Coria. Kiwi's backhand was pathetic, too many unforced errors (must have been around 30). Can't win like that against a consistent Coria when the ball is in play. But I won't complain, he shall take his points for the round of last 16 and prepare for next tournament.

daze11
04-20-2006, 06:50 PM
But these double faults are torturing him, he'll end up paying for them big time, and that's plain ridiculous.

Tomorrow, instead of posing a stiff opposition to Nadal, he'll be turned into mincemeat, solely on these df's.

some matches, he doesnt...its been two very bad service matches in a row, but some this year he serves only 1 or 2 like anybody else. :shrug: you never know with that man...

federated
04-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Ha! That German turd was fuming with anger as he was walking off the court, insulting Coria and the crowd. What a numbhead. :D

Good for Guille, for at least showing once again his fighting spirit, and also for sending the Teutonic geek back home.

keifer = jackass.

coria...just :worship: . That's HEART.

stebs
04-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Every match Coria plays in is a joke.

Corey Feldman
04-20-2006, 06:52 PM
ridiculous match..
made me wait ages for Gonzo v Soders match now.

Guille really should serve under arm/drop shot serve v Nadal if it would stop DF's,
it'll be hard enough to beat him without donating 20-25 DF's which = 5-6 free games to him.

Neely
04-20-2006, 06:53 PM
I would like to know what he did say? I saw and heard nothing...

Corey Feldman
04-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Ha! That German turd was fuming with anger as he was walking off the court, insulting Coria and the crowd. What a numbhead. :DLOL
:haha: that sounds like Kiwi alright :D

daze11
04-20-2006, 06:54 PM
The self-love of Coria is amazing. He blew a 5-1 lead in the first set, he was 0-3 down in the second with two breaks and he was o-2 down in the third. Despite that and his 23 DF, he won. It's impossible not to be amazed by his spirit.thats what it is. his belief is endless. most players could learn more about fight from seeing him play like this than when he dominates everyone 1 & 2 in 45 minutes.

JMG
04-20-2006, 06:55 PM
keifer = jackass.

coria...just :worship: . That's HEART.

HEART is when you win 8-6 in an Australian Open quarterfinal. :worship:

If Kiefer could keep it up and make two more third rounds in Rome and Hamburg, I would be happy with it.

stebs
04-20-2006, 06:55 PM
ridiculous match..
made me wait ages for Gonzo v Soders match now.

Guille really should serve under arm/drop shot serve v Nadal if it would stop DF's,
it'll be hard enough to beat him without donating 20-25 DF's which = 5-6 free games to him.

Wether he wins or not it will certainly be interesting to see what happens to the points between Coria and Nadal which reach a rally. I think Nadal would dominate if Corai served underarm. He would have loads of time to prepare and thus would put so much topspin on the ball it would probably pin Coria back too far to get into a rally.

MissMoJo
04-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Well, Guille's definitely earned his nickname this week :)

mangoes
04-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Well, I do think this match showcased a very good strength in Coria game after being treated to the horror of his blasted serve......... I think it's really sad that I expect him to lose to Nadal tomorrow because he has lost the ability to serve.......

stebs
04-20-2006, 07:01 PM
HEART is when you win 8-6 in an Australian Open quarterfinal. :worship:

If Kiefer could keep it up and make two more third rounds in Rome and Hamburg, I would be happy with it.

No, this is heart.

1969 - Men's Singles First Round
P Gonzales (US) bt C Pasarell (US) 22-24, 1-6, 16-14, 6-3, 11-9

Gonzales, who had won the US Open 20 years earlier, was 41 at the time and in those days players did not sit down at the change of ends, but simply wiped the perspiration away, downed a mouthful of barley water and got on with it.

When they returned for the second day, Gonzales, who had coached Pasarell, was two sets down. But he wrapped up the third set 16-14

Pasarell squandered seven match points.

Neely
04-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes, this and getting a good result for the French Open again of course has priority. I hope he improves for the next weeks on clay and adopts his game to the clay-style.

04-20-2006, 07:03 PM
i dont know if he is more 'el mago' or 'iron man'! he has so much pressure to win every point once the ball is on play, and basically, he does it! despite all the distractions of his service issues. go to love him! :worship:

Yeah.. he's head is amazing :worship:
Come on, Guille!! :rocker2:

Yappa
04-20-2006, 07:05 PM
The only situation which could be considered bad sportsmanship was when the umpire had to come down twice to verify two calls in a service game, though I am not even sure if in both cases it was at Kiefers request. The first call was a ball (by Kiefer) which was out and I got the impression that actually it was Coria who wanted the umpire to come down (but not of sheer fairplay). The french commentators were joking about the use of "psycho tricks". But maybe I got that wrong.

Regarding the 2nd call it was indeed Kiefer who wanted the umpire to come down (although he probably knew that the ball was out) but it seemed to me that it was a reaction to Corias previous "call questioning".

Other than that I didnt notice anything and in particular not against the spectators.

Julio1974
04-20-2006, 07:07 PM
No, this is heart.

1969 - Men's Singles First Round
P Gonzales (US) bt C Pasarell (US) 22-24, 1-6, 16-14, 6-3, 11-9

Gonzales, who had won the US Open 20 years earlier, was 41 at the time and in those days players did not sit down at the change of ends, but simply wiped the perspiration away, downed a mouthful of barley water and got on with it.

When they returned for the second day, Gonzales, who had coached Pasarell, was two sets down. But he wrapped up the third set 16-14

Pasarell squandered seven match points.

If you want to underplay what Coria is doing, I'm sure you can do better than looking for a tennis match in 1969. I really don't understand what's your point. Coria self-love and spirit is amazing. You have to be blind not to see it. For you, the match may have been a joke. But the public loved Coria.

artlinkletter
04-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Lordie, at 5-1 in the first set, I went to go eat breakfast and when I got back, I could not believe it when I saw he lost that set. Anywho, Kiefer seemed to be saying something when Coria went to shake hands with him. He continued after/while they were shaking the umpires hand. Then when Kiefer went to go to his seat to collect his stuff, Coria just stood there for a couple of seconds looking at him. He looked like he was trying to figure out what Kiefer had been mumbling. I'm not sure if I was hearing things, but was the crowd(a few loud kids) booing at Coria when he went to wave to them after the match?

oneandonlyhsn
04-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Guille :bounce: :bounce: Good luck tomorrow :scared: oh and plz serve better :angel:

robinhood
04-20-2006, 07:10 PM
What is wrong with Coria's serve?
Anyhow, he won and rid us of that obnoxious prick, so I am more than thankful.

oneandonlyhsn
04-20-2006, 07:11 PM
If you want to underplay what Coria is doing, I'm sure you can do better than looking for a tennis match in 1969. I really don't understand what's your point. Coria self-love and spirit is amazing. You have to be blind not to see it. For you, the match may have been a joke. But the public loved Coria.

You misunderstood Stebs, he/she was replying JMG who said heart was winning 8-6 at AO to reach the QF, he wasnt undermining Guille

stebs
04-20-2006, 07:11 PM
You clearly didn't sense the tone behind my post, possibly for the reason that it was text rather than speech?

Anyway, I was allowing myself to have a light-hearted joke at those bickering over who has more heart in a pointless debate that as about as much chance of being resolved as Coria does of serving more aces than doubles.

I actually like Coria, his style is very refreshing but although it shows a certain degree of 'heart' to fight back as Coria does it is his own fault he was down in the first place. Good is the man who can get himself out of a tight situation but great is the man who can avoid the situation in the first place.

04-20-2006, 07:13 PM

I think the Kiwi's celebration in a Coria's DF in 0-2 of the 3rd set was a bad sportsmanship.

Julio1974
You clearly didn't sense the tone behind my post, possibly for the reason that it was text rather than speech?

Anyway, I was allowing myself to have a light-hearted joke at those bickering over who has more heart in a pointless debate that as about as much chance of being resolved as Coria does of serving more aces than doubles.

I actually like Coria, his style is very refreshing but although it shows a certain degree of 'heart' to fight back as Coria does it is his own fault he was down in the first place. Good is the man who can get himself out of a tight situation but great is the man who can avoid the situation in the first place.

I apologize for the misinterpretation. I agree with you that he gets himself into truble but most players in his situation would simply throw the match and go home. That's why I admire his spirit so much.

Truc
I'm not sure if I was hearing things, but was the crowd(a few loud kids) booing at Coria when he went to wave to them after the match?Some people were certainly booing him because of his df.
I only saw the last games, but I can imagine it was indeed painful to watch for people who are not too fond of Coria's amazing fighting spirit. ;)

Truc
04-20-2006, 07:14 PM
All the best to Guille, but an extended break, in which he would be able to sort things out by all means required, could really do wonders to him, and even if that means skipping tournaments - so be it.Coria wanted to take a break, but Higueras told him to play Miami. I don't think it has anything to do with his ranking because Higueras doesn't care about Coria's ranking and Coria himself was ready to skip tournaments and to lose points.
Higueras is a very experienced coach, I think he has his reasons to do so.

Yappa
04-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Yes, this and getting a good result for the French Open again of course has priority. I hope he improves for the next weeks on clay and adopts his game to the clay-style.

Especially improve his first serve but that was maybe due to his muscular problem which he mentioned on his HP. It clearly hindered him in his first two matches as he said himself. So maybe we can expect even better results from him once he is completely fit again in the upcoming clay tourneys. :yeah:

stebs
I apologize for the misinterpretation. I agree with you that he gets himself into truble but most players in his situation would simply throw the match and go home. That's why I admire his spirit so much.
Although I agree with the fact that it shows fight to come back from such a situation I disagree that most players would give up at that point. I admit that some would but I would make the argument that at the top of proffesional sports nearly everyone is extremely competative. Though most players would not manage to fight back from such a deficit there are few who would hand in the towel. Particularly on clay.

LLeytonRules
I wonder how much he has left.If he serves decent, he has a shot, depending if he still has alot of energy left.

Allez
04-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow. Coria continues to amaze :eek: :eek: :eek: Nadal must be pinching himself at such an easy draw :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . He's going to toy around with Guille tomorrow :eek: :eek: :eek: . With the matches starting so early, he's going to eat him up for breakfast:lol::lol::lol:.

Poor Guille :smash::smash::smash:

Yappa
04-20-2006, 07:18 PM
I think the Kiwi's celebration in a Coria's DF in 0-2 of the 3rd set was a bad sportsmanship.

I hope you dont mean the "Allez" which was actually shouted by Coria himself. :)

But now that you mention something like that, I think that Kiefer didnt apologize after a let ball.

The french commentators joked about Kiefer probably not lending Coria a bath towel if he needed one. :D

stebs
04-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Wow. Coria continues to amaze :eek: :eek: :eek: Nadal must be pinching himself at such an easy draw :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . He's going to toy around with Guille tomorrow :eek: :eek: :eek: . With the matches strarting so early, he's going to eat him up for breakfast:lol::lol::lol:.

Poor Guille :smash::smash::smash:
Regardless of the victor I am sure there will be some great points. Have fun to anybody watching it, I am back at work after an Easter Break and also lack Sky SPorts so I won't be watching myself.

Generator
04-20-2006, 07:26 PM
I would like to know what he did say? I saw and heard nothing...

You mean the exact quote? Damned if I have it. But he started saying things to Coria, who had a puzzled look on his face. The Argentine turned to the umpire and said, "Did you hear that?", or "Did he say what I think he said?", something like that, to which the umpire replied waving his hand, like saying "Nevermind, just leave it alone."
I think it was pretty clear.

Besides, when Coria was signing autographs, Kiefer started walking off the court and shouting things at him with a not too friendly look on his face. I don't think Guillermo saw him, though.

04-20-2006, 07:27 PM
I hope you dont mean the "Allez" which was actually shouted by Coria himself. :)

But now that you mention something like that, I think that Kiefer didnt apologize after a let ball.

The french commentators joked about Kiefer probably not lending Coria a bath towel if he needed one. :D

I don't understand German. I interpreted it as a celebration of a Coria's UE. Coria didn't shout a Kiwi's UE in all the match.

Generator
04-20-2006, 07:27 PM

Little piece of minutia: he doesn't shout "Allez!", but "Dale!", which would be a Spanish equivalent for "Come on"

Julio1974
04-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Although I agree with the fact that it shows fight to come back from such a situation I disagree that most players would give up at that point. I admit that some would but I would make the argument that at the top of proffesional sports nearly everyone is extremely competative. Though most players would not manage to fight back from such a deficit there are few who would hand in the towel. Particularly on clay.

Stebs, can you imagine how pathetic he must feel by doing 23 DF? He must wish he was 2,000 fet underground. Despite this constant humillation, he plays on. It's just remarkable and exceptional. There are of course other players with the same or bigger heart: Nico Massu, Nadal, Hewitt (I'm sure I'm missing many names) and it would be foolish to deny that. But I still think that many players would simply throw the match, go home and drink a cold beer.

04-20-2006, 07:29 PM
You mean the exact quote? Damned if I have it. But he started saying things to Coria, who had a puzzled look on his face. The Argentine turned to the umpire and said, "Did you hear that?", or "Did he say what I think he said?", something like that, to which the umpire replied waving his hand, like saying "Nevermind, just leave it alone."

Besides, when Coria was signing autographs, Kiefer started walking off the court and shouting things at him with a not too friendly look on his face. I don't think Guillermo saw him, though.

It's true. Anyone know what Kiwi said to Coria at the end of the match?

Yappa
04-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Little piece of minutia: he doesn't shout "Allez!", but "Dale!", which would be a Spanish equivalent for "Come on"

I see. I found it strange for Coria to shout something in french when hitting a df. :D ;) The french commentators just mentioned that he said it to motivate himself.
And while you're here, could you elaborate about Kiefer provoking the crowd?

stebs
04-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Stebs, can you imagine how pathetic he must feel by doing 23 DF? He must wish he was 2,000 fet underground. Despite this constant humillation, he plays on. It's just remarkable and exceptional. There are of course other players with the same or bigger heart: Nico Massu, Nadal, Hewitt (I'm sure I'm missing many names) and it would be foolish to deny that. But I still think that many players would simply throw the match, go home and drink a cold beer.
And many more intelligent players who would go home and learn how to serve. :) :p

Julio1974
04-20-2006, 07:31 PM
And many more intelligent players who would go home and learn how to serve. :) :p

You made me laugh with that comment.

Anyways, I wish it was that simple.

Yappa
04-20-2006, 07:32 PM

Oh wow, that it was perfectly possible. Maybe it was about the line calls I mentioned earlier. I closed the stream when Coria was leading 5:2 so I missed that.

star
04-20-2006, 07:33 PM
All the best to Guille, but an extended break, in which he would be able to sort things out by all means required, could really do wonders to him, and even if that means skipping tournaments - so be it.

It's just me, but I'd rather Guille take advice from Higueras than you. I've got a feeling Higueras knows a lot more about it than just about anybody else on this planet.

Generator
04-20-2006, 07:35 PM
I see. I found it strange for Coria to shout something in french when hitting a df. :D ;) The french commentators just mentioned that he said it to motivate himself.
And while you're here, could you elaborate about Kiefer provoking the crowd?

While he was leaving, the crowd cheered for him, but he didn't wave or anything (which is perfectly normal). The thing is, he started murmuring something, probably in German, with a pissed look on his face. Given that the majority of the crowd supported Coria during the last part of the match, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Kiefer talking crap about them. But I don't know German, so I have no idea what he was saying really.

daze11
04-20-2006, 08:03 PM

Besides, when Coria was signing autographs, Kiefer started walking off the court and shouting things at him with a not too friendly look on his face. I don't think Guillermo saw him, though.as usual, kiefer's inability to deal with his own failings was turned toward coria instead of lashing out at himself...just being a nutter. its nothing to even comment on.

and hell, who WOULDN'T route for guille by the end of that match? he literally won every point they played...if the only way you can win is by gobbling up someone's double faults, its hard to feel like cheering for that guy to win. i'm sure kiefer felt humiliated...not from losing to the double faulting but that he couldnt win any points once the ball was in play. that aspect of the match was as blindingly clear as all the faulting.

musefanatic
04-20-2006, 08:21 PM
wow well done Coria, he might just have a chance of the title the way he's going! :)

<-TH->
04-20-2006, 08:50 PM
1st set - Tie Break

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M1GZ9ZYR

JMG
04-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Why do people say that Coria won literally every point they played? Without double faults he won only 11 of 22 with his second serve and only 65 % with his first serve.

Rogiman
04-20-2006, 09:09 PM
It's just me, but I'd rather Guille take advice from Higueras than you. I've got a feeling Higueras knows a lot more about it than just about anybody else on this planet.
Not even the slightest doubt about that, and I'm glad he's got a coach of this caliber to help him out.

Yappa
04-20-2006, 09:28 PM
1st set - Tie Break

Hey thx for the file. Could you tell me with which tool you managed to record it?

mandoura
04-20-2006, 09:32 PM
:hatoff: to Coria for winning his last 2 matches after giving away almost a set of DF.
:hatoff: to Coria for his fighting spirit and his huge "heart".

I admit people may have different opinions about Coria, but he has proven he is a 1st class athlete, a magician of clay-court play and an amazing fighter. :yeah:

And yes Neely, Kiefer was not that bad. Some of his forehand returns were just :eek: . I was impressed he remained calm after that call in the 3d game of the final set. :)

lucashg
04-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Coria :banana:
Well done for fighting back, but OMG :o
Now take Nadal out :spit: :awww:

oschemi
04-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Coria :banana:
Well done for fighting back, but OMG :o
Now take Nadal out :spit: :awww:

Yeah, like it is that simple. If he serves the way he did today, he will be lucky to win a game. It was just ridiculous :eek:

MissMoJo
04-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Thursday, April 20 , 2006

G Coria / N Kiefer

6-7, 6-4 ,6-3
An interview with: GUILLERMO CORIA

(Through translation)

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. To win a match like this must be a double satisfaction?

GUILLERMO CORIA: Yes, a triple satisfaction, because like the other time, I had problems with my serve. Winning against a player ranked top 13 or 14 in the world is very good for me, but I definitely must improve my serve to continue in the tournament.

Q. You made 43 double-faults. Has that happened to you before?

GUILLERMO CORIA: Yes, it happened to me in Australia against Grosjean. But whatever the number of double-faults, be it 15 or 20, it doesn't matter. The problem is rather to remain concentrated and to remain calm; then, I will be able to make less double-faults. When I will be serving well, the double-faults will not be so important. I was able to win in spite of my bad serve, so this gives me confidence for future matches.

Since I had surgery on my shoulder, I cannot hope to serve as well as I did before, but I'm still working on that shot and what I need is confidence. I'm hoping I will be able to serve as good as I played in my first match in Miami where I didn't make any double-faults.

Q. What goes through your mind when you are serving?

GUILLERMO CORIA: What happens to me is that I forget the movement. So what I have to do is remain calm, as I did in the third set where I made less double-faults. In the third set against Mathieu, I also made less double-faults. What is important is to keep concentrating.

Q. What does Higueras say to you about your serve?

GUILLERMO CORIA: He said my technique is good. He said if my technique was bad, I would serve badly all the time, I would be playing the same movement each time and it would turn out bad each time. In fact, what happens is sometimes things turn right and I make no double-faults.

Also, during my practicing I serve well. So what I have to do, he tells me to just think about my movement and not about anything else.

Q. You had a bad history with doping, and also you lost twice in the French Open, once in the semifinal and once in the final. Now with your shoulder and your double-faults, do you believe you are becoming unlucky?

GUILLERMO CORIA: No. I believe these are moments that one must overcome. When I lost in the semifinal and the final in the French Open, it was because I played against two players who took advantage of every opportunity in the match.

The surgery was just a surgery. Every player is injured now and then; sometimes it's more serious than others.

As to the double-faults, this is just a matter of confidence, nothing else, so it's not that bad.

Q. Kiefer seemed to be cross with you at the end of the match.

GUILLERMO CORIA: I didn't like him to question the mark and also to be cross because I was asking the umpire to check the mark. But I remained in the match and I was not entering any dispute with him. I didn't like at all the fact that he insulted me at the end of the match.

Q. What did he say to you?

GUILLERMO CORIA: It doesn't matter. It was just in the heat of the moment on the court, but now it's over.

Q. Kiefer said that he never saw a player making so many double-faults except in women's tennis: Kournikova.

GUILLERMO CORIA: But I won the match, I broke his serve more than he broke mine.

Q. Do you have to manage your match in a different way because of your bad serve, because you need to break the opponent more often?

GUILLERMO CORIA: I just play point after point. I just try to forget the point before. If I hadn't done that, I wouldn't have won against Mathieu or Kiefer.

Tomorrow will be another day. I hope I will wake up feeling good.

Q. How do you feel playing against Nadal with your serving problem?

GUILLERMO CORIA: It's going to be a good challenge. I'm sure it's going to be a great match. He's the best player on this surface at the moment. It's going to be an entertaining match. I will try to play my best tennis, and I hope it's going to be good to watch for the crowd.

Q. Nadal didn't make any comment about your serve, but he said tomorrow you will be under no pressure and then you might serve better.

GUILLERMO CORIA: It can be. Everyone has his own opinion. Many players make many double-faults - sometimes eight or ten. It's just that I made a great number of them.
http://montecarlo.masters-series.com/en/players/interviews/stories/06_coria4.asp

Yappa
04-20-2006, 10:33 PM
You can feel/read the love between him and Kiefer! :hearts: :lol:

Julio1974
04-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Kiefer said that he never saw a player making so many double-faults except in women's tennis: Kournikova.

GUILLERMO CORIA: But I won the match, I broke his serve more than he broke mine.

:haha:

Rosa Luxembourg
04-20-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm glad Kefir lost :banana:

MissMoJo
04-20-2006, 10:49 PM
You can feel/read the love between him and Kiefer! :hearts: :lol:
:p but seriously, who is kiefer friends with on the tour? I don't think i've ever heard him mention any except for when he claimed that he and grosjean were friends after that AO incident, which seb denied :lol:

Yappa
04-20-2006, 10:51 PM
:p but seriously, who is kiefer friends with on the tour? I don't think i've ever heard him mention any except for when he claimed that him and grosjean were friends after that AO incident, which seb denied :lol:

Well apart from other german players, I know that Srichaphan is a very good friend. Due to his muscular problems he prefered not playing the doubles match with Paradorn and he was very sorry about that.

fenomeno2111
04-20-2006, 10:52 PM
Kiefer is the biggest douchebag on tour....Ohh wait I think everyone knows that

Yappa
04-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Kiefer is the biggest douchebag on tour....Ohh wait I think everyone knows that

We had a poll about that a few weeks ago and all I know is that Kiefer didnt win it. :)

fenomeno2111
04-20-2006, 11:10 PM
We had a poll about that a few weeks ago and all I know is that Kiefer didnt win it. :)

Polls about people's opinion are not scientific :o

Neely
04-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Q. Kiefer said that he never saw a player making so many double-faults except in women's tennis: Kournikova.
It's strange that they decided to take Kournikova as an example. I can't remember that she had such huge serving problems at any time of her career. Normally you would mean the interviewers go for "Dementieva" as an active example.

True what Coria says about the serving issue. For this match it didn't matter and he broke Kiefer more often than the other way. Fair enough to say.

Why do people say that Coria won literally every point they played? Without double faults he won only 11 of 22 with his second serve and only 65 % with his first serve.
True, it's a way exaggerated of course. The ball was many times returned or in play and Kiefer won the point. Needless to say that it was not enough. I guess most Coria fans are just happy he won this match with all these double fault, I would be too!

Okay. Thanks because I didn't see it, but I don't rule it out that it happened ;) Ah well, I'm sure Coria can deal with that, after all he won the match and can easily brush it off. I don't put too much value in such happenings anyway.

Yappa
04-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Polls about people's opinion are not scientific :o

Same goes for your posting about Kiefer since its just your opinion so we're set. :)

Neely
04-20-2006, 11:22 PM
1st set - Tie Break

Sjengster
04-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Kournikova was the trailblazer for service lousiness, Dementieva merely followed up and consolidated her groundbreaking work. 34 doubles in a three-setter in the first round of the AO, which of course she ended up winning - not even Guille at his most profligate can beat that tally.

njnetswill
04-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Kiefer vs Coria. Battle of the Beloved. :tape:

Guille "Dementieva" Coria keeps on rolling. :woohoo: (I am going to use that nickname at nauseam)

Neely
04-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Kournikova was the trailblazer for service lousiness, Dementieva merely followed up and consolidated her groundbreaking work. 34 doubles in a three-setter in the first round of the AO, which of course she ended up winning - not even Guille at his most profligate can beat that tally.
Wow, I didn't know that! Actually you can teach me a lot in women's tennis because I always thought that Kournikova had quite a decent serve up in the 160 km/h mark and that her 2nd serve was usually also much more solid than Dementieva's.

Sjengster
04-21-2006, 12:01 AM
I don't know that much about the women's game to be honest with you, but I recall that the Kournikova serve was another fairly bad motion, she lurched into it and often hit it too flat without much control, where Dementieva slices her serve tamely into the net or long.

njnetswill
04-21-2006, 12:53 AM
I've seen Dementieva get aces on her second serve recently. Coria can't even get one on a first serve right now. (The ATP and WTA are different I know, but still , :o )

daze11
04-21-2006, 01:00 AM
I've seen Dementieva get aces on her second serve recently. Coria can't even get one on a first serve right now. (The ATP and WTA are different I know, but still , :o )yes but believe it or not, this is not a permanent serve for guille & he will also --like dementieva-- make it a memory people talk about in chat rooms rather than a reality played out on court. i've seen coria hit more than one 2nd serve ace.

star
04-21-2006, 01:57 AM
I've seen Dementieva get aces on her second serve recently. Coria can't even get one on a first serve right now. (The ATP and WTA are different I know, but still , :o )

That's because Dementieva often just puts two first serves in. She's not going to ace anyone with her real second serve. She says she doesn't like it when players attack her second serve so she would rather put in another first serve and take the chance she doubles. She'd rather double than have an attack on the second serve. Kind of an interesting attitude.

njnetswill
04-21-2006, 04:26 AM
I've been a fan of Coria for years, so obviously I know his serve is just going through a rough patch. What I meant was, no player's serve should ever start getting compared to Dementieva's or Kournikova's to begin with. :p

Allez
04-21-2006, 07:51 AM
You can't help but like the guy :hug::hug::hug: Great interview btw. Good luck today :yeah::yeah::yeah:

Action Jackson
04-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Great entertainment and it doesn't matter how the job gets done as long as he gets the W at the end of the match.

mandoura
04-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Great entertainment and it doesn't matter how the job gets done as long as he gets the W at the end of the match.

Yes.

Yappa
04-21-2006, 02:05 PM
btw. as we know, Kiefer had still the same problems which plagued him in the first two matches. Now I read on Eurosport.de that hes not sure if he'll be able to play in Rome, Hamburg or Dusseldorf. Hope he gets well very soon.
Those germans and their health problems these days. :sad:

Neely
04-21-2006, 02:17 PM
btw. as we know, Kiefer had still the same problems which plagued him in the first two matches. Now I read on Eurosport.de that hes not sure if he'll be able to play in Rome, Hamburg or Dusseldorf. Hope he gets well very soon.
Those germans and their health problems these days. :sad:
As we konw Kiefer's biggest enemy was never the opponent on the other side of the net, it was his health and body, even during junior years and the beginning of his early pro career. And the older he gets, the more he more likely he will pick up such little things which bother him. He was not gifted with great tennis skills, natural talent and feeling for the ball, but not with a robust body.