Henman, Mathieu - who's the biggest choker [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Henman, Mathieu - who's the biggest choker

scarecrows
04-20-2006, 12:02 AM
These 2 are definitely unbelievable in the chances they have missed in their careers

zicofirol
04-20-2006, 12:15 AM
mathieu without a doubt he has choked just as much in fewer years.

revolution
04-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Henman isn't much of a choker- he hasn't ever blown a crucial match after leading all the way.

The best choke from him was Canas at the AO.

Sjengster
04-20-2006, 01:26 AM
I've never seen Henman blow in this fashion, and there have been plenty of bad losses to choose from. I gather that he was once up 5-1 in the deciding set against Gambill indoors and lost it 7-6 in the third, but that was before my time back in the late 90s. Sure, there have been a ton of matches he's lost that he should have won, but I don't think he's ever failed to serve out a match 3 (!) times before.

robinhood
04-20-2006, 05:59 AM
Mathieu, hands down.

*Ljubica*
04-20-2006, 06:29 AM
I would agree that Henman doesn't choke. He may get a bit tight serving out a big match sometimes (most people do) - but I have never seen him "choke". Mathieu on the other hand :bolt: Not only did he contrive to lose a 2-0 sets lead in a Davis Cup Final, - but he somehow managed to lose against the Double Fault King from 6-1. 5-1.........................:banghead: I still cannot believe that score :eek: I was trying to follow it on the live scoreboard from work and kept on thinking the scoerboard must be wrong!!!

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-20-2006, 07:19 AM
No doubt it's stupid Mathieu, :fiery: he always blows mps and is broken even after double break. :haha:
"I played a strong match today and I hope to do the same in the next round. The pressure was on me today, playing against Safin as a Frenchman here."
After I watched this,I can't believe that he's still that negative and has pressure to play against Russian! :speakles: I know he had a very hard time,after DC final his mentality has collapsed and he was injured for a long time.But come on,that occured in few years ago,even though he felt guilty,he can't change the fact. :yawn: Get over it.The life must go on! :boxing: Honeslty he is not like a athlete now.He doesn't believe himself. :sad: He needs to burst out his fire. :fiery::fiery::fiery: He won't be a top 20 when he lets his brain think in the past again too much.I am very happy if he has Kiwi's/Hewitt's brain,those men act what they want,they aren't afraid of frustration and criticism. :rocker2:

Tim just has mini-choke at TB or last serve like 5-5,but his match is more predictable,also he beats the player that he should beat much more.

Rogiman
04-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Not only Mathieu is 10 times the choker Henman is, Henman is also 10 times more talented than that overrated ballbasher, unlike many here think.

MariaV
04-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Paulo's "achievements" are in a class of their own. :rolleyes: :mad: :fiery: I don't say they cannot be topped but Henman really cannot be compared to him.

*Elsie*
04-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Not only Mathieu is 10 times the choker Henman is, Henman is also 10 times more talented than that overrated ballbasher, unlike many here think.Make that 20 :yeah:

Leo
04-20-2006, 09:24 AM
How is Henman a choker? He doesn't blow matches when he has the chance to serve them out and he hasn't missed many opportunities in his career whatsoever. I don't think Henman has underachieved, whereas Mathieu definitely has.

The only "bad" choke by Henman I can think of is maybe the 2004 RG SF against Coria when I believe he lost a couple of sets from breaks up. Perhaps the 2001 Wimbledon SF, but that wasn't really a choke and just some rotten luck.

Leo
04-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Not only Mathieu is 10 times the choker Henman is, Henman is also 10 times more talented than that overrated ballbasher, unlike many here think.

I completely agree. As much as Mathieu has choked and underachieved, he's not as good as many people say. Even at his best, I don't see him as a consistent Top 10 player. No variety to his game.

Black Adam
04-20-2006, 09:56 AM
PHM really is the Heart Break Kid of the Atp :sad:
So many heartbreaking losses, i wonder what pushes him to go on.

*Elsie*
04-20-2006, 10:02 AM
PHM really is the Heart Break Kid of the Atp :sad:
So many heartbreaking losses, i wonder what pushes him to go on.It might have something to do with $$$

almouchie
04-20-2006, 10:13 AM
losing the Davis cup after being up in the decider against Youzhny
must still be playing on PHM
few players like Coria can come back frmo 5-1 down set set

Hank777
04-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Henman isn't much of a choker- he hasn't ever blown a crucial match after leading all the way.
I totally agree, Henman's no choker, though he can get into slumps during a match, looking like he's struggling more with himself.

I'd say that during the 2004 French open semi-final against Coria, he had a somewhat choke-like-moment, loosing a whole bunch of games in a row, but that's NOT really choking I think, and besides he took it to the limit afterwards, getting a whole streak of games, too bad he lost that match, still cool he made it so far !! :cool:

Ome
04-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Paulo :bounce: :banana:

Surely is Paulo! :lol: :hug: