El Mago Rises from Ashes - from 1-6 1-5 down, beats Mathieu 1-6 7-6 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

El Mago Rises from Ashes - from 1-6 1-5 down, beats Mathieu 1-6 7-6 6-4

daze11
04-19-2006, 06:08 PM
guille was down 1-6 1-5, for any who didnt see it, playing the worst of his professional career. then steamrolled back and won 1-6 7-6 6-4.

i noticed in the long first game of the 2nd set that he was actually winning every point they played...he was just double faulting every other point, and so the game went on for 10 minutes.

so it was mesmerizing and beautiful to see him so full of belief he could win, even by 2-5 in the 2nd, he was jumping up and down like a caged tiger while the announcers on tennis channel called him 'a laughing stock' at the moment. an angel touched his shoulder and he caught fire.

great job, el mago! you truly deserved your name today! :yeah:

Washa Koroleva
04-19-2006, 06:09 PM
:bounce: That absolutely made my day!!

Didn't expect that in the 2nd set.

Julio1974
04-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Coria reminded me today why I liked him so much. He was playing awfully bad, but he did not throw the match. He played on and fought. Well done Guille and good luck against Kiefer !!!!!

Dirk
04-19-2006, 06:13 PM
I couldn't believe he turned it around. I thought he was done in the breaker at 4-6 down.

el güero
04-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Some comeback :worship:

federated
04-19-2006, 06:15 PM
I couldn't believe he turned it around. I thought he was done in the breaker at 4-6 down.

totally agree. I am now officially a coria fan. Just, wow. 20 double faults, down 6-1 5-1 and he still pulled it out. That's what sport is all about. :worship:

lucashg
04-19-2006, 06:21 PM
That was such an amazing comeback from Guille! Congrats! :banana:

But still no news: Coria still has the worst serve in recent memory, but is a real fighter. And Paulo continues to choke badly. Coria fought off the first 2MPs and all credit to him, but to get there he counted not only with his fight, but some incredible UEs by Mathieu.

Coria made 20 DFs. :o Good luck next round! ;)

daze11
04-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Coria reminded me today why I liked him so much. He was playing awfully bad, but he did not throw the match. He played on and fought. Well done Guille and good luck against Kiefer !!!!!i think his new coach higueras saw why we love him too!! at 6-1 4-0, he looked like 'what did i get myself into with this coria?' and then you see his face awestruck with wonder the rest of the way, like 'this guy is all fire and heart' - purely a force of magic. :D

the first point when coria was serving at 5-2 in the 3rd, one of the best i have ever seen, when he took PM's drive volley in the air and hit a lob winner off it!! :cool:

Neely
04-19-2006, 06:22 PM
I saw wide stretches of this match and Coria had his usual serving problems double faulting on almost every 2nd serve (okay, a bit exaggerated) and Mathieu had an easy time to break him and was required to do almost nothing in return games because Coria either double faulted or gave him unforced errors, Mathieu was solid and put pressure on Coria. Later in the 2nd set Coria stabilized more and more and was able to hold serve reducing his double faults; he showed some good fighting spirit, also defending the court well, and Mathieu was forced more to win the point himself. More errors and easy misses from Mathieu came, sometimes even on brutally easy shots at the net. Coria saved four match points in the 2nd set, at the end Coria needed 7 (or 8?) match points to win it, but finally did.

MissMoJo
04-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Incredible :D Hope can clean up that serve for his next match. Go Guille!

shotgun
04-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Well, Mathieu doesn't have that fame for nothing.

Kip
04-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Stunning how he came back and
almost just as stunning how he nearly
threw it away having all those MP's. :rolleyes:

Nice fight! :)

BATES
04-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Coria made 15 double faults in 6 serving games (that's 2,5 a game!!) gaving away one set and a half to get the match to 1-6 1-5.
That's when he decided to play as he used to do, making "just" 5 double faults in the rest of the match and winning it 1-6 7-6 6-4.
This shows how his serve influences on his game, which has considerably changed since his shoulder surgery.
Go Guille!! You can make it !

Washa Koroleva
04-19-2006, 06:37 PM
That was such an amazing comeback from Guille! Congrats! :banana:

But still no news: Coria still has the worst serve in recent memory, but is a real fighter. And Paulo continues to choke badly. Coria fought off the first 2MPs and all credit to him, but to get there he counted not only with his fight, but some incredible UEs by Mathieu.

Coria made 20 DFs. :o Good luck next round! ;)

Oh dear. Let's hope this improves. You make it sound so scary lol.

MisterQ
04-19-2006, 06:37 PM
wow, that's impressive

napki
04-19-2006, 06:38 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Aguante_el_Gato
04-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Congrats Guille!!! :hatoff: :hatoff:

Godiva
04-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Best thing I've seen from Guille in ages. He still has a long way to go, but......... WOW. Keep it up El Mago.

willie
04-19-2006, 06:43 PM
this type of matches are the ones that make me love so much tennis!:)

go coria!!

Scotso
04-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Oh Paulo :sad:

gusman890
04-19-2006, 06:47 PM
haha he isnt called el mago for nothing

congrats guillie ! :)

04-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Guille didn't played bad. His only problem is his serve.
I want to distinguish Coria's attitude to give to Mathieu a point in a MP ball (I think it was in the 5-4 in the 3rd set). Some ignorants guys called him tricky and cheater. They have to wash their mouths.
Well done, Guille!

Pea
Please tell me Guillermo brilliantly and not PHM choking? Please! :rolleyes: I'd really love to hear that!

Bilbo
looks like mathieu is still the biggest choker on tour

amarone
04-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Well PHM saved about 6 or 7 match points, three of which were consecutive. So they both fought well on some points.

Congrats to Guille for not giving up at 1-5 in the second set.

Corinna
04-19-2006, 06:56 PM
:worship: very impressive and a great fight, guille :yeah: (:
really magic :lol:

SwissMister1
04-19-2006, 06:58 PM
sad...and PHM actually fought pretty hard to hold serve down 3-5 in the third, but then Guille actually served it out. Very strange match. I wonder what happened to the board?

daze11
04-19-2006, 07:02 PM
I want to distinguish Coria's attitude to give to Mathieu a point in a MP ball (I think it was in the 5-4 in the 3rd set). Some ignorants guys called him tricky and cheater. They have to wash their mouths.
Well done, Guille!yep, they called match at 6-3 and guille said, 'no the ball was in' & so they continued...after such a comeback, he didnt want one thing to be tainted about his win.

bad gambler
04-19-2006, 07:04 PM
even mathieu has outdone himself with this performance

NATAS81
04-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Choke of the year.

daze11
04-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Please tell me Guillermo brilliantly and not PHM choking? Please! :rolleyes: I'd really love to hear that!PHM got nervous because someone who was basically 'playing dead' all of a sudden came to life, and made him think 'maybe i really DIDNT earn this lead after all' but coria played exceptional tennis, nothing was handed to him. mathieu made errors, but that IS how guille beats people--he kept getting the ball back til PHM thought he had to make too good a shot to win, and he would miss. neither played consistent great tennis but both had great moments, IMO.

people can call it a choke, but the reason guille was bouncing like he could still win even when so far down tells you a lot! its that he knows he is clearly the better player, especially on clay. so its not a choke to start losing to someone who is better than you at everything (minus serve. ;) )

Clara Bow
04-19-2006, 07:08 PM

That was very nice...happy to see.

After the match the announcers were saying that this loss could get in PGM's head the same way that Coria's 2004 FO final loss got into his.

I am very, very glad to see Coria not giving up and coming back to win the match. I hope this flicks the little switch in his head.

jazz_girl
04-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Amazing match! It was painful to see it in the beginning, but I'm glad I kept on watching cause it turned out in an amazing match. It's great to see that fighting spirit back! :yeah: Well done :)

SwissMister1
04-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Well done, Guille!

I didn't know what was going on since I couldn't understand the Chinese annoucers on the internet stream. Good on Guillermo for doing that.

Yappa
04-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Damn what a match. PHM was first leading in the 2nd with a double break 5:1 and then again with another break 6:5. The 4th mp for PHM at 6:5 in the TB went like this iirc: let ball Coria, PHM thus being forced to the net and Coria with a longline bh passing shot. Corias great defending got into PHMs head.

Pixie
04-19-2006, 07:27 PM
PHM got nervous because someone who was basically 'playing dead' all of a sudden came to life, and made him think 'maybe i really DIDNT earn this lead after all' but coria played exceptional tennis, nothing was handed to him. mathieu made errors, but that IS how guille beats people--he kept getting the ball back til PHM thought he had to make too good a shot to win, and he would miss. neither played consistent great tennis but both had great moments, IMO.

people can call it a choke, but the reason guille was bouncing like he could still win even when so far down tells you a lot! its that he knows he is clearly the better player, especially on clay. so its not a choke to start losing to someone who is better than you at everything (minus serve. ;) )

Pretty fair but still you can see some differences between when PHM leads and is leaded : when he is about to win he plays one or two steps behind the baseline in contrary to when he has to save BP. This match looked quitely like PHM tie against Canas last year in RG. But Coria totally deserves the win and that's always a pleasure to watch him play like this on clay.(apart from his serve)

LaTenista
04-19-2006, 07:29 PM
even mathieu has outdone himself with this performance

:haha: It's almost as classic as the 2004 Roland Garros final.

almouchie
04-19-2006, 07:33 PM
I saw the score on live scoring
& thought at 6-1 4-0 the match is over
then at 5-3 I thought Coria still has a chance
what acome back from 5-1 to tie the match in the breaker
great win for coria
confidence boost

SwiSha
04-19-2006, 07:40 PM
this is legendary stuff from PHM..if anyone had doubts about him being the biggest choker on tour ..well .... :lol:

DrJules
04-19-2006, 07:43 PM
PHM got nervous because someone who was basically 'playing dead' all of a sudden came to life, and made him think 'maybe i really DIDNT earn this lead after all' but coria played exceptional tennis, nothing was handed to him. mathieu made errors, but that IS how guille beats people--he kept getting the ball back til PHM thought he had to make too good a shot to win, and he would miss. neither played consistent great tennis but both had great moments, IMO.

When leading 6-1 and 5-1 the match is for Mathieu to win or lose. He obviously had mental problems crossing the winning line.

KoOlMaNsEaN
04-19-2006, 07:43 PM
:banghead: :banghead: (http://menstennisforums.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=2#) Paul Henri :banghead: (http://menstennisforums.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=2#):banghead: (http://menstennisforums.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=2#)

Why do you put us through this torture?!

Damita
04-19-2006, 07:47 PM
I saw the score on live scoring
& thought at 6-1 4-0 the match is over
then at 5-3 I thought Coria still has a chance
what acome back from 5-1 to tie the match in the breaker
great win for coria
confidence boost
LOL, at that moment I was thinking it was too good (for Paulo) to be true.
Paulo dear (aka Oaf Jr as we call him in Safin's forum :p), that was a REAL BIG choke :yeah:

Congrats to Coria :yeah: (and :worship: for the point he gave to PHM). But oh those ugly serve stats :o ...

momo
04-19-2006, 07:48 PM
MARAT SAFIN on PHM yesterday:
"He was supposed to be in the top 10. And now the guy is struggling. He makes his matches, but he doesn't really do anything special. I think it's a little bit a pity because he's quite talented guy.

But he can be there, but he needs to be more brave, that's for sure."

Interesting to read after today...
I guess it takes an OAF to recognize one... :)

Damita
04-19-2006, 07:50 PM
MARAT SAFIN on PHM yesterday:
"He was supposed to be in the top 10. And now the guy is struggling. He makes his matches, but he doesn't really do anything special. I think it's a little bit a pity because he's quite talented guy.

But he can be there, but he needs to be more brave, that's for sure."

Interesting to read after today...
I guess it takes an OAF to recognize one... :);)

JBdV
04-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Paulo :( :mad: :banghead: :explode:
i think watching that match did some serious long term damage to my health...

tangerine_dream
04-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Wow, what a terrific comeback from Guille! He really needed something like this to boost his confidence and belief in himself. :hatoff:

Anyone got torrent? :)

musefanatic
04-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Well done Guillermo! Great win!! ;) I don't like the guy that much but anyone deserves credit from coming back from 1-6 1-5 down to win the match. :)

JBdV
04-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Wow, what a terrific comeback from Guille! He really needed something like this to boost his confidence and belief in himself. :hatoff:

Anyone got torrent? :)
i wonder what Paulo needs to boost his confidence and belief in himself... :confused: a miracle?

Godiva
04-19-2006, 08:06 PM

Well said daze. PHM did choke somewhat in the second set, but he certainly didn't at the end of the third. Guille has obvious psychological problems on court. Without these problems he's sure to roll PHM on clay.

I hope this performance today is due to Higueras' influence. :worship:

justClaudia
04-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Guille :eek: wow, what a comeback.

Godiva
04-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Damn, I was watching the match on tv this morning and did not have the presence of mind to record it. :mad:

daze11
04-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Well said daze. PHM did choke somewhat in the second set, but he certainly didn't at the end of the third. Guille has obvious psychological problems on court. Without these problems he's sure to roll PHM on clay.

I hope this performance today is due to Higueras' influence. :worship:yes, i agree he got shakey, but between the two of them, i'd say coria choked a lot longer during the match. if guille had closed him out 5-2 in the 3rd as he was primed to do at 40-30, it would have felt like mathieu collapsed from losing the 2nd set but he fought back hard and played some great shots to get to 4-5. i dont think coria blew the match points he lost--PHM played fearlessly and smart and took those points. But its easier to fight back death than to give birth; closing it out takes affirming & bringing in life, and thats what you knew was meant when guille raised his hands.

morningglory
04-19-2006, 08:37 PM
and the 2006 Heimlich award for worst choke goes to.... PHM!!! :aparty: :rolleyes:

Sjengster
04-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Now that's what I call a tragedy of errors, and I'm not even a Mathieu fan. One would like to feel sorry for him, but at the end of the day, he didn't have an injury, or an unlucky letcord (well, apart from that one at 6-5 in the TB on his second matchpoint, actually, but he still had a chance to win that point), no bad calls went against him; he just played the big points horribly. The change in momentum from 1-6 1-5 also showed how averagely he had been playing, having most of his points gifted to him by Coria's doubles; when Coria started hitting more balls in court and most importantly, more serves into the box, Mathieu didn't know what to do to close him out. I've said it before, he oscillates between knocking the ball passively back into play and going for crazy winners right to the lines that miss, and until he finds a comfortable balance he will continue to struggle when the scoreline gets tight.

Chileno
04-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Credit to Coria for hanging in there till the end, but it must be said, PHW was...well...*cough* *choker* *cough*

Allez
04-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Paulo :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry: I haven't felt this badly about a match since Rogi's semi final loss at RG last year. How could this happen ? :bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

Fisico
04-19-2006, 09:52 PM
unbelievable comeback by coria!!
what a fighter this guy is :yeah:

NATAS81
04-19-2006, 09:52 PM
This could happen when Paulo chokes. Get over it. It's casual for the French.

Allez
04-19-2006, 09:53 PM
But I like Coria too so well done to him :yeah::yeah::yeah:

NATAS81
04-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Coria > Mathieu

zicofirol
04-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Mathieu is already known for blowing leads, just add this one to the count...

mangoes
04-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Sorry for the double post everyone.............I missed this thread when I did a quick scan for threads about Coria.............

Anyway, my 2 cents :)

Well, my day began by immediately turning on the tv to see which match was in progress. I immediately recognized Coria but had to shake the cob webs out of my eyes, in disbelief, when I saw the 6-1, 3-0 score in Matheiu's favor.

I started to watch and must admit, it was pure torture to watch Coria double fault again, again.......and again...... The commentators even began speaking about the possible need for Coria to see a shrink...... :lol: :lol: And then Coria broke Matheiu two times in a row as Matheiu served for the match, TWICE, in each of those games...........I guess we could say Matheiu choked :shrug:........or Coria played some wonderful points.... Nevertheless, Coria lifted the level of his play and I think from the ending of the second set through to the completion, it was an extremely entertaining match. I really, really am shocked Coria pulled this off. Hopefully, this match will give him a bit of confidence.................... So Coria :hug: is my favorite weasel today and he made me late for the office :lol: :lol:

NATAS81
04-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks for putting your text where it belongs, mango.

star
04-19-2006, 10:10 PM
yes, i agree he got shakey, but between the two of them, i'd say coria choked a lot longer during the match. if guille had closed him out 5-2 in the 3rd as he was primed to do at 40-30, it would have felt like mathieu collapsed from losing the 2nd set but he fought back hard and played some great shots to get to 4-5. i dont think coria blew the match points he lost--PHM played fearlessly and smart and took those points. But its easier to fight back death than to give birth; closing it out takes affirming & bringing in life, and thats what you knew was meant when guille raised his hands.

:inlove: I love that! What beautiful words. -- afirming, bringing in life -- that's poetic. :)

Deboogle!.
Can't wait to see the replay of this one when i get home :yeah:

mangoes
Thanks for putting your text where it belongs, mango.

I MADE A MISTAKE.................... It's been a long, tiring, day for me, so spare me the snarky wit........... It was just a thread..........

NATAS81
04-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Relax. I understand New York traffic.

star
04-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Congrats to Coria :yeah: (and :worship: for the point he gave to PHM). But oh those ugly serve stats :o ...

Oh, I didn't know he conceded a point. :clap2:

star
04-19-2006, 10:14 PM
I MADE A MISTAKE.................... It's been a long, tiring, day for me, so spare me the snarky wit........... It was just a thread..........

Check your reps and cheer up. :banana:

04-19-2006, 10:17 PM
I would have given anything to be able to have seen this Match, but I don't have any TV coverage :mad: :sad: :worship: Vamos Guille :worship:

NATAS81
04-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah, TTC is a bitch.

napki
04-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Can't wait to see the replay of this one when i get home :yeah:
do i sense a torrent? :D :D :D

NATAS81
04-19-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm smelling something funky myself.

Deboogle!.
04-19-2006, 10:24 PM
do i sense a torrent? :D :D :DI won't be home for another hour and I think I will have missed the beginning, and I can't make torrents anyway (sorry:() but this match should've been on European tv too since TTC borrows their feed, so surely someone who can make torrents caught it?? :awww:

dylan24
04-19-2006, 10:24 PM
mathieu is a f'ing choker

NATAS81
04-19-2006, 10:26 PM
I thought deb did it all. Disappointed. :(

Deboogle!.
04-19-2006, 10:31 PM
I thought deb did it all. Disappointed. :(Sorry :sad: I hope to get something this summer that would allow me to record stuff and make torrents, but not right now :(

napki
04-19-2006, 10:32 PM
I won't be home for another hour and I think I will have missed the beginning, and I can't make torrents anyway (sorry:() but this match should've been on European tv too since TTC borrows their feed, so surely someone who can make torrents caught it?? :awww:
:hug: Hopefully someone did, or maybe i should have been up and watching it like other people did even though it was in the middle of the night! ;)

NATAS81
04-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Sorry :sad: I hope to get something this summer that would allow me to record stuff and make torrents, but not right now :(
Faith be with thee!

Deboogle!.
04-19-2006, 10:36 PM
napki, there should be a replay on TTC soon... the reair coverage started at 5 eastern, or was supposed to, and this was the 2nd match.... I'm stuck here in class for another half hour then I have to drive home so I'll be home in like an hour and I was assuming the Coria match will have already started by the time I get home but I should make it in time for the "good" stuff ;)

Yappa
04-19-2006, 10:36 PM
"The Men" regarding Masters Series matches here are guys like scoobsuk (and squirt too I think) so maybe one of them recorded the match.

NATAS81
04-19-2006, 10:40 PM
I bet scoob did.

Raquel
04-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Amazing comeback :worship:

Vamos El Mago :rocker2:

njnetswill
04-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Wow. My Dementieva comment from yesterday came true. :eek: I would fish around to quote myself but :p :cool:

silverwhite
04-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Paulo :help:

ChloeLove
04-19-2006, 11:13 PM
:rocker2: Coria!!! It's so good to seem him playing again, it's starting to look like a Nadal vs. Coria in the quarts.

Deboogle!.
04-19-2006, 11:23 PM
Cool I arrived home just in time for the players to be walking out :cool:

InfiniteSadness
04-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Poor Paulo... :sad:

Fergie
04-20-2006, 12:46 AM
Paulo :smash:

its.like.that
04-20-2006, 01:04 AM
When leading 6-1 and 5-1 the match is for Mathieu to win or lose. He obviously had mental problems crossing the winning line.

When any player is up 6-1 5-1, what stops their opponent from switching on and blasting winners or serving aces?

It's not as simple as it sounds, you've obviously never participated in any sport before at a mildly competitive level.

:rolleyes:

Godiva
04-20-2006, 01:11 AM
:rocker2: Coria!!! It's so good to seem him playing again, it's starting to look like a Nadal vs. Coria in the quarts.

If Guille makes the quarts Nadal will stomp him, unfortunately. :sad:

RickDaStick
04-20-2006, 01:13 AM
When any player is up 6-1 5-1, what stops their opponent from switching on and blasting winners or serving aces?

It's not as simple as it sounds, you've obviously never participated in any sport before at a mildly competitive level.

:rolleyes:

:eek: at Coria blasting winners and serving aces. Mathieu choked i know t you know it and everyone who saw the match or even saw the score knows it .

Leo
04-20-2006, 01:21 AM
I like Paulo but that's laughable. I mean, come on. 6-1, 5-1 lead against someone who's double-faulting that much? He's just a mess. :lol:

_Lars_
04-20-2006, 01:29 AM
:worship: :bigclap: :bigclap: :worship:

Thats all i can say...but also that Mathieu must be :banghead:

Phunkadelicious
04-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Mathieu you fucking moron :rolleyes:

ChloeLove
04-20-2006, 02:58 AM
If Guille makes the quarts Nadal will stomp him, unfortunately. :sad:
Maybe . . . I hope it doesn't turn out that way. Granted Nadal will win I think, but it could be very close. Coria was the only player who really challenged Nadal last year. They always play great matches.

zethand
04-20-2006, 03:05 AM
this is surreal! Paulo will kill himself... poor guy!

Golfnduck
04-20-2006, 03:19 AM
Wow, I'm not a Coria fan, but what a comeback :yeah:

pascal'rG
04-20-2006, 05:40 AM
It is really a joke :rolleyes:

It seems to me really funny that a Coria fan can congratule him for this "win" :eek:

What a bad match !!

It's only Mathieu who like usually was afraid of winning, nothing "magical" here from Coria :rolleyes:

But what a sadness to see such a great player like mathieu who was just dominating completely coria giving up things to finally loose :confused:

Anyway it's a big surprise to see Coria playng so badly on clay. He'll not be a great challenger for Nadal this year ... no doubt about that !

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Being his fan and following his live score have been already unhealthy, :silly: give me some drugs to relax. :rolls::drink: This Paul-Henri is the biggest joke in ATP forever. :haha: He was totally fucked up...again! :armed::fiery::explode: Every player knows how to beat this fucking choker. :banghead: The guy couldn't break at 5-3* 40-15 in 2nd set.Also couldn't hold the serves 3 damn times,in some of them he even he led 30-0 though.He just couldn't take 2 more damn points. :zzz: Coria gave him another chance in TB,Mathieu led a mini break *5-4 after Coria's double fault,he took one point,*6-4,then he collapsed again, :shout: lost 4 points in straight. :yawn: After this set I know he's done,just turned off the TV! :rolleyes: I heard he lagged 2-5*,even though he broke once,it's impossible to chase,esp for the hopeless guy.
What I want to say more is this choker plays good winners when he lags a bit or the score is at deuce, :yeah: but mostly he can't win the match by playing winners at last point, :rolleyes: whereas wins by his opponent's ue.I'm fucking sure that if Safin hadn't played the ball out of the line at Mathieu's mp,that choker would have lost this match! :yawn:

Argenbrit
04-20-2006, 05:58 AM
Wooo...amazing comeback! :bigclap:

Action Jackson
04-20-2006, 06:02 AM
Great work Weasel and he was like Santa Claus on acid when he was serving or attempting to serve at 6-1 5-1, but PHM that was a huge choke and if he was good enough then he'd have won this easily, when the chance was there. This is reason enough as to why he is ranked where is.

Experimentee
04-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Theres no excuse for losing when up 6-1 5-1 no matter how well the opponent starts to play.
Mathieu is officially the biggest choker :help:

Argenbrit
04-20-2006, 06:42 AM
Theres no excuse for losing when up 6-1 5-1 no matter how well the opponent starts to play.
Mathieu is officially the biggest choker :help:

It looks like we have a new "biggest choker on tour" :lol:

fadou
04-20-2006, 06:46 AM
That is an article from eurosport france on net on PHM syndrome since 2002:(unfortunately in french)

Le 2e tour de Monte-Carlo a ravivé chez PHM une plaie entrouverte depuis 4 ans: le syndrôme de la défaite qui fait mal. Un revers qui s'articule autour d'un scénario aussi cruel que répétitif: une victoire qui se profile, mais un adversaire qui le coiffe au poteau. Retour sur ses plus beaux fiascos.

2002 - L'ANNEE OU TOUT BASCULE

Roland-Garros, 4e tour : défaite face à Andre Agassi 6-4, 6-3, 3-6, 3-6, 3-6
Coupe Davis, finale : défaite face à Mikhail Youzhny 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 5-7, 4-6

Paul-Henri aura tout connu cette année-là. Le bonheur
Paul-Henri aura tout connu cette année-là. Le bonheur de remporter ses deux premiers - et derniers - titres, mais également les deux plus grosses désillusions de sa carrière. Tout commence à Roland-Garros. Porte d'Auteuil, Paulo débute le deuxième Grand Chelem de l'année en novice. Après deux ans de professionnalisme passés en tournois Futures et Challenger, PHM fait sensation en 2002 en passant trois tours lors de sa deuxième participation.

Après avoir battu Wayne Ferreira en cinq sets, Fabrice Santoro en quatre et Jiri Novak en trois manches, c'est serein et affûté qu'il se présente face à Andre Agassi au 4e tour. La confiance emmagasinée ces derniers jours se ressent tout de suite, Mathieu surclassant le Kid de Las Vegas lors des deux premiers sets 6-4, 6-3... avant de subir la foudre de l'Américain pour finalement concéder les dernières trois manches sur le même score: 3-6.

Au revoir et Bercy

Si cette défaite a révélé PHM, le Strasbourgeois a su surfer sur cette nouvelle notoriété pour signer son retour au premier plan fin 2002 avec deux titres glanés à Lyon et à Moscou dans la foulée. Une confirmation du talent de Paulo que ne manquera pas de remarquer Guy Forget, qui le sélectionnera en Coupe Davis pour affronter la Russie en finale à Bercy en décembre 2002, pour pallier aux forfaits de Llodra et Clément. Si Paul-Henri ne fait pas le poids face à Marat Safin lors du premier simple, on sent le Français capable d'apporter le point décisif lors du 5e et dernier match face à Mikhail Youzhny, alors que les deux équipes sont à égalité 2-2.

Le bras tremblant, le Russe concède les deux premiers sets dans une liesse totale. L'enjeu rattrape alors Mathieu qui fait de plus en plus de fautes. Si la Russie empoche la 3e manche, la 4e est plus serrée. Au point que Paul-Henri se place à deux points du match. Privé de premières balles et de lucidité, Mathieu perd sa mise en jeu à 5-5 et le 4e set 7-5. Enivrant d'efficacité, Youzhny prend le match à son compte dans le 5e et dernier set pour s'adjuger le dernier point victorieux de la Russie. La France, tenante du titre, tombe de haut, et c'est en larmes que Paulo, héros national déchu, terminera sur sa chaise.

2004 - LE REVE AMERICAIN BRISE

US Open, 3e tour :défaite face à Sargis Sargsian 6-4, 6-4, 4-6, 2-6, 6-7(4/7

Beaucoup prédiront la fin précoce de la carrière de Paul-Henri après sa défaite en finale de Coupe Davis. Mais il n'en fut rien. Malgré les blessures, le Français atteint en 2003 une finale à Palerme, perdue face à Nicolas Massu, et s'incline dans la foulée en demi-finale à Moscou face à Taylor Dent. Les doutes quelque peu dissipés, l'année 2004 semble être celle du renouveau pour Paulo. Une victoire en Challenger à Segovia en Espagne face à Nicolas Mahut lui redonne du peps. Mais l'US Open viendra le faucher en plein vol.

Après deux tours passés avec brio face à Raemon Sluiter en trois sets et Taylor Dent en quatre manches, c'est sur la pointe des pieds que Mathieu affronte l'Arménien Sargis Sargsian pour une première place au 4e tour de Flushing Meadows. Les deux premiers sets sont un vrai régal pour le Français, qui empoche les deux premières manches sur le même score 6-4. Une embellie de courte durée : si l'Alsacien concède les 3e et 4e sets 4-6 et 2-6, la déception restera palpable dans l'ultime manche perdue au tie-break 6-7, 7 points à 4... Son bon parcours américain lui rouvrira toutefois les portes de la Coupe Davis, où il apportera le seul point de la France face à l'Espagne en battant Carlos Moya... en cinq manches.

2005 - LE JOUR LE PLUS LONG

Roland-Garros, 3e tour : défaite face à Guillermo Canas 3-6, 6-7(4/7), 6-2, 7-6(7/5), 6-8

Fort d'un huitième de finale Porte d'Auteuil en 2002, perdu de justesse face à Andre Agassi, Paul-Henri, récent héros sur terre battue en Coupe Davis face à la Suède, débarque à Roland-Garros en mai 2005 avec des velléités de faire encore mieux. Après avoir disposé de Feliciano Lopez au 1er tour, puis Chris Guccione au deuxième, un spécialiste de terre battue se dresse devant lui sur le court Suzanne-Lenglen au 3e tour : Guillermo Canas. L'Argentin, quart de finaliste en 2002, a déjà fait une victime dans le clan français: Gaël Monfils, qui s'est lourdement incliné 6-3, 6-1, 6-0 au 1er tour.

Nous sommes samedi en fin d'après-midi. Les premiers échanges sont à sens unique : le Français, débordé, concède la première manche 6-3, avant de faire meilleure figure au second, sans être plus en réussite. Il perd la deuxième manche au tie-break et également son sang-froid, en s'en prenant à l'arbitre qui ne veut pas arrêter la partie, de plus en plus plongée dans la pénombre. Après avoir averti Mathieu, l'arbitre de chaise envoie les joueurs aux vestiaires et c'est finalement à 2-2 dans le troisième set que ce match du 3e tour est reprogrammé le lendemain.

"Ces choses-là, ça arrive..."

Au retour sur le court Suzanne-Lenglen, c'est un nouveau match qui commence et un nouveau Mathieu qui se représente devant le public parisien. Déchaîné, le Français s'empare du 3e set 6-2 après 4 jeux remportés d'affilée, puis du 4e après un tie-break gagné in extremis 7 points à 5. Revenu de nulle part, le Strasbourgeois va même se procurer deux balles de match à 5-4... Deux occasions ratées, pour finalement vendre sa peau dans le 5e set après 5h04 de jeu, gagné 8 jeux à 6 par l'Argentin à son tour rescapé. Extrêmement déçu, tout comme le public qui ne comprend pas un tel manque de réalisme, Mathieu repart une nouvelle fois frustré après cette déconvenue qui sonne le glas de sa collaboration avec son entraîneur de l'époque Patrice Hagelauer.

"A chaud, je suis évidemment déçu, mais je suis parti aujourd'hui de tellement loin avec deux sets à remonter. Je suis bien revenu, j'ai failli réussir l'exploit mais il faut un gagnant et un perdant..., déclarait PHM dépité. C'est d'autant plus frustrant que ça se passe ici à Roland-Garros. La prochaine fois, ce sera peut-être dans l'autre sens, je sauverai deux balles de match et je gagnerai. On peut toujours refaire les points mille fois. Ces choses-là, ça arrive..."

In fact, eurosport said since 2002, he is unable to win a match when he has the key to win the match.
So, yes , PHM is the bigest choker on ATP TOUR

joyk
04-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Guille :bigclap: :bigclap:
Paulo :banghead: :bigcry: What`s wrong with you dude?

lalaland
04-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Magnificent choke job from PHM. He out do himself once again. :rolleyes:
Good fight from El Mago.

This kind of match usually only happens in WTA.

Five
04-20-2006, 07:06 AM
thanks for bitchslapping Mathieu :yippee:

fadou
04-20-2006, 07:17 AM
poor PHM, I hope that he doesn't read this thread

Corey Feldman
04-20-2006, 08:57 AM
I guess it takes an OAF to recognize one... :):lol:

PHM at his finest, blowing like a mutha.
on the other side, i hope Coria beats Kiwi today.. and easily, none of this serve-problems nonsence.

azmad_88
04-20-2006, 11:01 AM
roller coaster battle :)

nisabula
04-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Mathieu didnt choke at all, Coria just fought back. Obviously you didnt see the match if you think otherwise.